UPS Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 180)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

30yearupser in Missouri

82 months ago

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania said: 30 year
do you know how much of a discount you get to send packages?

lori

if you mean since you are an employee of UPS, you get a discount. Sorry, hate to burst your bubble but there are no discounts for ups employees when sending packages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

loriknittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

30 year
how long are package handlers layed off after peak season?
and how long where you a ph until you got to drive?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

82 months ago

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania said: 30 year
how long are package handlers layed off after peak season?
and how long where you a ph until you got to drive?

I was a ph for almost 7 years, but then again I came from a big hub and it took longer.
As far as lay off after peak season, it could be any where from 1-3 weeks or more. It will depend on the volume and the economy at the time.
If you are package handler before and during peak season, if you are a good worker, show up everyday and on time you will have a good shot at getting called back sooner than somebody who is late all the time and is not a good worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

shad0wfx in Pompano Beach, Florida

82 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: I was a ph for almost 7 years, but then again I came from a big hub and it took longer.
As far as lay off after peak season, it could be any where from 1-3 weeks or more. It will depend on the volume and the economy at the time.
If you are package handler before and during peak season, if you are a good worker, show up everyday and on time you will have a good shot at getting called back sooner than somebody who is late all the time and is not a good worker.

I just read this whole forum. I think it's pretty cool that you're still around. I actually have wanted to work for UPS since I was a little kid(3). I am not 18 and I dropped out of High School to get my GED I did that as soon as I dropped out. I put applications in everywhere and no one ever called me back. I started a frenzy with collecting stickers for about a month and the UPS truck came to my house quite a few times to deliver them. This guy has been driving for 22 years, so I would talk to him about getting a job at UPS and this and that. Finally he told me they usually start hiring at the end of September. So I waited until then and there was an opening online. I put the information in there and I got the tour and interview the following week which was last Monday. I got a call from the HR yesterday saying to come in this Monday to fill out some paperwork and I start Tuesday at 3a.m. Do you think since I am starting this early that it's Seasonal or Part-Time. It said Part-Time orignally on the website, but when I went in there she talked a lot about Seasonal this and that... My Uncle owns about 5 UPS stores here in FL as to which I know are not owned by UPS, but simply Franchises. I just thought it was really cool to tell him I got hired at UPS as a Part-Time PH. I was also wondering how much YOU make an hour for both of your jobs and how many hours you work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I am so psyched that I got my dream job, but do you think I will like it as much as I should? I've always wanted to work for Brown, and have awesome Benefits that will be good in the long-run. Are they as good as they say they are? I will ask my HR about any questions you can't answer. Thank you so much 32 yearER. How old are you now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

My Father said this is a great oppertunity for me hence the fact I am 18, I have a bank account with over 1k in it and I am doing the right thing. Do you think I could take advantage of their programs and take a business class in College to better myself in the company for the future. P.S. If I am being hired for Seasonal I will work my butt off and arrive on-time so I do get the job afterward for Part-Time. I would also like to inquire about when I am able to join the Union. Is it 90 days after you're hired AFTER seasonal? Which means a year to the date you're hired AFTER seasonal you get the benefits or the 90 days AFTER seasonal when you get hired and join the union. I am trying so hard to stay with UPS a long time. I think it will be the best thing for me. School was not for me so I didn't stay in HS. I am actually rated above the expectations of that a normal HS student should be at. I was tested before I left the school. I tested at 12.9 on Math, 12 for Reading, Writing, Science, and History. 12.9 is the highest.

30yearupser in Missouri

82 months ago

Shad0wFX in Pompano Beach, Florida said: My Father said this is a great oppertunity for me hence the fact I am 18, I have a bank account with over 1k in it and I am doing the right thing. Do you think I could take advantage of their programs and take a business class in College to better myself in the company for the future. P.S. If I am being hired for Seasonal I will work my butt off and arrive on-time so I do get the job afterward for Part-Time. I would also like to inquire about when I am able to join the Union. Is it 90 days after you're hired AFTER seasonal? Which means a year to the date you're hired AFTER seasonal you get the benefits or the 90 days AFTER seasonal when you get hired and join the union. I am trying so hard to stay with UPS a long time. I think it will be the best thing for me. School was not for me so I didn't stay in HS. I am actually rated above the expectations of that a normal HS student should be at. I was tested before I left the school. I tested at 12.9 on Math, 12 for Reading, Writing, Science, and History. 12.9 is the highest.

It takes 30 working days or about six weeks before you join the union. This is your probation period where your supervisor will be watching you, making sure you arrive every day, are energetic, have a good work ethic etc.
Once you gain seniority--make your thirty days, you can take classes under the Earn and Learn program. YOu have to maintain a C average, I believe.
Once you gain seniority, yes it will take a year for you to gain benefits. Since you will be in the middle of peak season, once it is over, there is a chance you will be laid off for a little while. When you get called back, i am not sure when your seniority will begin. Sorry. That is something you need to discuss with your supervisor.

30yearupser in Missouri

82 months ago

Shad0wFX in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I am so psyched that I got my dream job, but do you think I will like it as much as I should? I've always wanted to work for Brown, and have awesome Benefits that will be good in the long-run. Are they as good as they say they are? I will ask my HR about any questions you can't answer. Thank you so much 32 yearER. How old are you now?

Old enough. I will leave it at that. LOL
Yes, the benefits are great. Medical, dental, etc.
It is good that you are psyched to get this job. It is hard work, but keep plugging away. Dont be afraid to ask questions to your supervisor and even your fellow workers. If you are loading a truck, concentrate on what you are doing. Dont kill yourself trying to impress the supervisor. Pace yourself but dont go too slow, obviously.
The best of luck to you, shadow. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JHolbrook in Evansville, Indiana

82 months ago

My husband has worked in factories for the past 2 years. He has experience with 10-12 hour shifts, moving quickly and working under pressure - basically hard labor. Do you think working as a package handler would be a good fit for him?

30yearupser in Missouri

82 months ago

Ryan6648 in New York said: Hi, i'm currently looking ahead to the future for a career and i've heard nothing but good things about UPS. I have 9 months left in the military which will complete my 6 year tour. I'll be moving back to upstate NY where I will live and i'm thinking about applying to UPS. I am a crewchief on tankers and work extremely hard. Taking care of multi-million dollars worth of equipment everyday and being in charge of ensuring the success of the mission. I was wondering if UPS looks kindly upon men and women with prior military history. Trying to get as much information as possible while doing my research. I'm currently deployed but will check back to see if there are any responses as soon as I can. Thanks for all the information i've ready already.

Yes, UPS loves hiring people in uniform. Unless you apply as a package car driver, (which I would consider) you will be hired as a part time package handler working 3- 4 hours a day, strting at 8.50 an hour.
If you were a driver it would be full time. Not sure what the starting salary is but it should be more than 8.50 an hour. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

82 months ago

JHolbrook in Evansville, Indiana said: My husband has worked in factories for the past 2 years. He has experience with 10-12 hour shifts, moving quickly and working under pressure - basically hard labor. Do you think working as a package handler would be a good fit for him?

Yes, that definitely sounds like a job for him but he wont be working 10-12 hour days. it will be more like 3-4 four days starting at 8.50 an hour. If you want to make more money and a full time job, I would suggest he apply as a delivery driver. However it is harder to get that job because they hire mostly from the inside. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

So far so good, I am loading the Package cars and they're paying me 9.50 an hour. I am hired Seaonsal, but I plan on getting hired after seaonsal since I've been on-time everyday so far, and I am always show up with a smile on my face. I started loading the package car last Thursday and I go again tomorrow morning. Well I am off to bed so I can go do my job! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

andrewfitt in Chicago, Illinois

82 months ago

starting pay for package car drivers is something over $16.00/hr the last time i asked

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kvh in Matteson, Illinois

81 months ago

Anyone know how long it takes to go full time with UPS as a driver once you are hired as a seasonal driver in the Chicago area? I'm sure there are lots of variables involved but any info would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

My opinion, I can ask tomorrow, but I would say you would have to wait until after seasonal is done to even see if you get re-hired, then if they have that spot open after seasonal, you can probably have it. I'll ask tomorrow I know my center isn't bringing in any drivers, just preload people. You have about an 80% chance of staying with UPS after peak season. Good luck to you, I was hired seasonal about a month and a half ago, been working there 7 weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Good luck to you sir!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kvh in Matteson, Illinois

81 months ago

Shad0wFX in Pompano Beach, Florida said: UPS is fun, I mean I want to get to be a driver one of these days, I love it there I don't care how much they yell at me they wont break my happiness, They have such wonderful benefits!

Sounds like you have the right attitude for the job and your right about the perks. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

marl8y in Omaha, Nebraska

73 months ago

I have been with UPS for a short time as a Loader and was given the opportunity to advance as a PT Supervisor. My question is would I be better off staying in the position I am already in since I belong to the Union or will taking the new postion give me more opportunity to become a Package Delivery Driver in the future? Also, what kind of wages and benefits do the Supervisor recieve. Any info would be appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sweets2323 in Hollywood, Florida

73 months ago

IN my area they are hiring Cargo handler.. What really is it? and how is it? they only pay 9.50 an hour, I have a BA but I need work.. Is there a chance of growing or getting promoted..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

softconcrete in Worcester, Massachusetts

70 months ago

Hey, I just have a question. I recently started working at UPS in Massacusetts, I have just completed my 27th day. Am I in the union after my 30 days? Or do you have to wait until you pay off your initiation fee? I asked my training supervisor but he wasnt entirely sure. Thanks!

Aidan in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

softconcrete in Worcester, as a new hire myself, I know my pay has been deducted weekly for the union initiation fee (until it's paid off), along with its due. (The due is going to be permanent) I would like to think that the moment you've submitted your union application, you're already in the union. I was told that you have to complete your probationary period, which for me lasts 45 days, until your union can represent you the benefit of working under a good contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TommyJ in Wauseon, Ohio

70 months ago

I was wondering if anyone knows the top rate pay for a PT Sorter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tommy Barfield in Albany, Georgia

70 months ago

30 year upser said: Actually it was a stroke of luck. I was in college and I was eating lunch with a classmate and I asked him what he did for a living. He said he worked in HR at UPS. He told me the starting rate was 6.50 an hour. I almost choked on my food. This was 1977. at the time minimum wage was like 2.50 an hour, so 6.50 seemed like a fortune. It would be like minimum wage now at 7.50 an hour and the starting rate would be 22.50 an hour.
Anyway, I asked him--more like demanded him to get me on at UPS. The rest is history. I have done just about every job there, from unloading to loading to driving the brown trucks. The only thing I haven't done is drive the big rigs. I am now a sorter and an address correction clerk.

Maybe you can help me. Please e-mail me at suebarfield60@yahoo.com. I'm the one asking how do I get my benefits I left at ups after 10 years: an address, phone number or some way to get in touch with them now. Thanks a million!!

jimmy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Can any full time drivers fill me in on the average time you finish your route. I know it varies, but I'm wondering what to expect on average. Also, online the day after Thanksgiving and the day before New Years are listed as ups holidays except for air and international deliveries. Does this mean full time drivers get this day off or not? I know these questions make me sound like a slacker, but I am not, I am just trying to prepare myself for what's ahead. Thank you for your input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

twcorliss in New Bedford, Massachusetts

70 months ago

30 yr upser

I recently completed the UPS road test and passed, process of being set up for the week long training class. How is this class, should I worry about it? Additionally, I am going to be hired as a casual package driver. I was told that by HR that I may be laid off at the end of teh December. What is the chance of being hired as a full time driver?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

amr209209amr in stockton, California

70 months ago

marilyn vic in Novato, California said: To Tony - My son has been working for almost 1 year as P/T package handler here in CA. What he has learned is that while UPS says P/T employees are eligible to full benefits - you must work 80 hours in the prior month to get those benefits and employees are only guaranteed 3.5 hours a shift so you never meet that 80 hours except during holiday rush. No sick leave, no medical etc. Its a very deceptive lure to potential employees. He'll complete his year and look elsewhere to make more money for less back breaking work.

that's strange, as at my hub (stockton, ca) the monthly requirement is only 60 hrs. & is pretty easily met by most all part timers every month

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

younggun in El Sobrante, California

69 months ago

kdiesel913 in Patchogue, New York said: How long and how much is the raise as a Pt package handler at UPS. I heard 90 days and it's a $1.00. Is that true?

That is true at my hub..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

zz117744 in Patchogue, New York

69 months ago

Does anyone know if UPS gives Christmas bonuses to part time package handlers that are in the union?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

knwalter in Wilmington, Delaware

69 months ago

My husband just got on part-time for seasonal work in the Philadelphia airport area as a UPS ramp worker. I've read this forum and have seen many discussions on package handlers and drivers, but not on ramp workers. Does it work the same for the ramp workers as for the package handlers? As much as my husband has explained to me, he works through Christmas, is then let go. At the end of January, they have an "open hire" and he has to call them, not wait on them to call him, to let them know he wants a permanent part-time job. He has made the comment that the seasonal workers will get first priority on the jobs over off-the-street candidates. Also, you really have to wait for a year to get benefits and then another six months for family? Is there any out of pocket expense, as in out of his check for family coverage or just the above mentioned co-pays? Also, he has heard that there will be supervisor positions available. How does this work, he says that if they want you as a supervisor you don't get let go, you become an active permanent part-time supervisor right after the seasonal work ends. My husband has had his back and his spirit broken by his current full-time job industry (re-building automotive transmissions) and had finally realized after 20 years in the business that no benefits, no loyalty means time to move on. Is there any chance of getting hired as a mechanic for UPS once you're already on the inside even if you don't have experience with diesel and only limited engine experience. Shouldn't 20 years working on rear-ends, transmissions and doing general automotive repair count for anything? Sorry for the long rant of questions, just trying to figure out if he should pursue the mechanic avenue or shoot for something
else like a driver. Also, if anyone has any idea on the salary for a mechanic, that would be helpful too. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ups1987 in California

68 months ago

zz117744 in Patchogue, New York said: Does anyone know if UPS gives Christmas bonuses to part time package handlers that are in the union?

No...we used to get a Turkey, but that's been eliminated as well. Sigh...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

UPSHopeful in Clinton, Tennessee

67 months ago

I was just wondering if anybody knew the answer to this question. my great uncle used to work for UPS and retired with a great retirement plan and was pretty high up there in the business, but anyway my question is i was wondering if even though he is retired would he be able to pull some strings to land me a job through UPS a little easier than just applying? If you know the answer to this id appreciate it if you were to email me at tylernl65@gmail.com thanks for your time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

nik008 in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

I've been at UPS for 5 years and think I will be becoming a driver soon, there is only 1 preloader/local sort ahead of me. I was wondering if they drug test when you become a driver

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

upser in Maple Shade, New Jersey

66 months ago

Old school ups in Bellmawr, New Jersey said: In the beginning management was the type of company I desired to work in "recognition for being a great employee", 12-15 years later everything turned ridiculas. Great workers in any department were overlooked on promotions due to HR hiring strategies. Hiring unprepared minorities over experienced employees, promoting friends, transfering reputable coworkers for slackers, making dedicated employees do all the dirty work for the slackers, broken promises...and so on. There is no special perks unless you stay in the union, don't listen to any of the lies.

There are no longer any bonus for PT sups.
long term the safe bet is on the union, every single FT sup job has 20 people in that building alone after it and if you aren't putting up the best numbers ANNNDDD also respected and liked by the current FT team (its an exclusive club, if they don't want to let you join, you wont)

The company does participate in reverse discrimination so that all the minority and womans magazines give them awards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

UPSHopeful in Clinton, Tennessee said: I was just wondering if anybody knew the answer to this question. my great uncle used to work for UPS and retired with a great retirement plan and was pretty high up there in the business, but anyway my question is i was wondering if even though he is retired would he be able to pull some strings to land me a job through UPS a little easier than just applying? If you know the answer to this id appreciate it if you were to email me at tylernl65@gmail.com thanks for your time

most times its just you show up and say yes call me when you have an opening... and it may be months but they will call unless someone else in there told them to blacklist you (say someone who worked with you before who thinks you suck... they could tell HR)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

knwalter in Wilmington, Delaware said: My husband just got on part-time for seasonal work in the Philadelphia airport area as a UPS ramp worker. I've read this forum and have seen many discussions on package handlers and drivers, but not on ramp workers. Does it work the same for the ramp workers as for the package handlers? As much as my husband has explained to me, he works through Christmas, is then let go. At the end of January, they have an "open hire" and he has to call them, not wait on them to call him, to let them know he wants a permanent part-time job. He has made the comment that the seasonal workers will get first priority on the jobs over off-the-street candidates. Also, you really have to wait for a year to get benefits and then another six months for family? Is there any out of pocket expense, as in out of his check for family coverage or just the above mentioned co-pays? Also, he has heard that there will be supervisor positions available. How does this work, he says that if they want you as a supervisor you don't get let go, you become an active permanent part-time supervisor right after the seasonal work ends. My husband has had his back and his spirit broken by his current full-time job industry (re-building automotive transmissions) and had finally realized after 20 years in the business that no benefits, no loyalty means time to move on. Sorry for the long rant of questions, just trying to figure out if he should pursue the mechanic avenue or shoot for something
else like a driver.

chances of becoming a mechanic are slim, those guys stick around forever. UPS package handlers work as hard as any other worker or industry I've ever seen. This is also back breaking work, and you can never do it fast enough. Yes 1 year for benefits and then another 6 months for family. We had people working for 6 months, getting benefits, and then getting open heart or brain surgery and then quitting after exhausting disability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Upser_Family in Salem, Oregon said: I agree, though I don't think UPS even needs to go that high. At $15 per hour they would get people standing in line now days.

Back then guys dropped going to college because it wasn't worth it. You made more money driving than being an Accountant, Engineer, etc.

Uh don't you mean people ***STILL*** MAKE MORE MONEY DRIVING than being and accountant etc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

metal_man83 in West Valley City, Utah

63 months ago

UPS1987 in California said: No...we used to get a Turkey, but that's been eliminated as well. Sigh...

I know that sucks ass! I started 2 years ago, and I have yet to receive a turkey for thanksgiving/christmas...so not cool. They should've cut the dividends a little bit and buy the employees some turkeys to at least make their holidays jolly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Denver, Colorado

61 months ago

First off I am not living in Denver I actually live in two states at the moment Iowa and Arizona and I am working with an OTR company and have 4 years straight truck delievery experience in Alaska and over 3 motnhs OTR experience and will be getting my Hazmat and Doubles endorsement when I get home, my question is what chance do I have at getting either a Package or Doubles Driver once I apply? The reason I want to join ups is my grandmother worked there in Arizona for over 15 years as a Package Driver and not only made a bundle but the benefits are huge if your dedicated, unfortunitly she got sick and wasn't able to work but at least the union took care of her. So from what I see as long as you bust your tail you have a chance but with that being said in what job is there no favorism, seriously, you want to complaint about favoritism go to work at Rent A Center as I did stupidly for 2 1/2 years made to Store Manager Trainee only to be let go for have two back teeth pulled and wasn't able to work for a week. Gotta love favoritism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

roadking7 in Manassas, Virginia

61 months ago

Does anybody know what are the 3 test you have to take before
becoming a package driver for UPS? I've just interview last
week and waiting for back ground check.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

roadking7 in Manassas, Virginia

61 months ago

twcorliss in New Bedford, Massachusetts said: 30 yr upser

I recently completed the UPS road test and passed, process of being set up for the week long training class. How is this class, should I worry about it? Additionally, I am going to be hired as a casual package driver. I was told that by HR that I may be laid off at the end of teh December. What is the chance of being hired as a full time driver?

Hey 30 yr,
I submitted this question a few minutes ago and then saw your comment
thought maybe you could help me with my question.
Thanks

Does anybody know what are the 3 test you have to take before
becoming a package driver for UPS? I've just interview last
week and waiting for back ground check.

Thanks

jeremystall in Kansas City, Kansas

60 months ago

Basically they feed you a hoax telling you of all the perks great benefits, help with school, blah blah. The benefits don't come in for a year which any other union job they are between 30-90 days, usually not quite as good but still good benefits. Tuition reimbursement is company approved schools only on they're terms. So it takes a year of being a puppet busting your back making a 1.25 above federal regulated minimum wage, before you see any reason worth staying which is why the turn over rate is out of control and anyone can work there trust me my friends are a joke and have been there for years come in when they want and can't get fired because the people that constantly quit make them safe so that's a plus. You could set around doing nothing or walking around in the a/c or the heat at wal-mart making 9.50 and get benefits after 60 days. I have friends who have worked there for 8 years who are stuck at 9.50 as a sorter no raise or promotion in sight solid union negotiating skills. And I would have to hope if you were working there since 77 you were making more than 9.50 an hour by now. Not a great company they realize most people will quit before a year because of being dissatisfied with the fact that they're working hard as hell for and gonna top out at 9.50 which is change in the world now and you don't get anything in return for a year that's why they made benefits a year that way they probably don't have anybody getting new policies saving a load of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ups_worker in USA

60 months ago

Jeremy Stall in Kansas City, Kansas said: Basically they feed you a hoax telling you of all the perks great benefits, help with school, blah blah...I have friends who have worked there for 8 years who are stuck at 9.50 as a sorter no raise or promotion in sight solid union negotiating skills. And I would have to hope if you were working there since 77 you were making more than 9.50 an hour by now...
Are you sure your friends say they only make $9.50 after 8 years?

The pay for part-timers should definitely be much better, but they have to be making more than that.

They would have made $8.50 to start and $1 more (or $9.50) when he became certified as a sorter. Also, 8 years ago (2003), they would have gotten a 50 cents/hour raise after being there 90 calendar days.

Following that, they should have gotten yearly raises of at least 50 cents/hour.

Now, with the latest contract from 2008, they should be getting split raises every 6 months. That’s still not the greatest pay check out there, but more than just being stuck at $9.50/hour.

I agree with many of the other things you said. It does take a year for you to get health benefits now and a year and a half for your wife/family if you have one. The work is hard and a lot a people quit.

That’s also a good point you made about it taking so long to receive benefits. The company is probably banking on a lot people not lasting for a whole year so they save a boat load of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

SteelValley in South Park, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

I work at the Beaver Ave. sort in Pittsburgh PA. I started in November of 2009 at $8.50/hr. Right now I'm making $11.00/hr. If I didn't take the sort test, I'd be at $10.00/hr. I'll go up to $11.50/HR in November, $12.00/hr in November 2012, and $12.87 in November 2013(Going off of the National Master UPS Agreement). Of course, I plan on at least being a Reg/Temp driver in 2012, which is even better money. If your friends are still at $9.50 after 8 years, I'd laugh in their faces and tell them how dumb and/or gutless they are for not knowing the contract and not filing a grievance to get their appropriate raises, LOL. People I work with, who have 8-10 years are all making about $18.00/hr.

As for people who want to know what the job itself is like... It's not easy work. If you don't like/can't handle fast paced, physical labor then it's not a good place to work. If you consider yourself athletic and/or active, you'll do just fine. My advice to anyone considering a job here is to be proactive about progressing upward and separate yourself from the rest of the workers. Learn the sort and take the sort test, be the last one to punch out, do what the supervisors ask, and sign bids when they come up. You're not really gonna get anywhere by staying on the p/t shift for ten years, though that might be the right thing for you if you're just looking for benefits and a couple extra bucks to supplement your spouses income.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

perrinao in Whittier, California

59 months ago

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to become a package truck driver once you start working for UPS. I really want to work for UPS but at the age of 37, I am a little concerned about the idea of being a package handler for many years at only $10 an hour before getting an opportunity to drive.

I know I have what it takes to do the job extremely well so what I really want to know how long it takes for them to move a hard working, reliable employee from PT package handler to package truck driver. Thank you.

photios in Fremont, California

58 months ago

perrinao in Whittier, California said: Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to become a package truck driver once you start working for UPS. I really want to work for UPS but at the age of 37, I am a little concerned about the idea of being a package handler for many years at only $10 an hour before getting an opportunity to drive.

I know I have what it takes to do the job extremely well so what I really want to know how long it takes for them to move a hard working, reliable employee from PT package handler to package truck driver. Thank you.

When I was hired in 1999, I was told it would take 6-8 years to have the opportunity to drive. Within ONE year the bid-list went up, and although there were many ahead of me with more seniority, they all were eliminated for one reason or other, which I was one of those selected to be trained. I am glad I signed the bid list, because if I would have listened to my co-worker I would not have been driving as soon as I did.

Driving package car is NOT like it used to be when I started driving in 2000, in fact the work has increased immensely, which ofcourse extends the hours you work, etc.($$$). So if you dont have a family, or dont want to see them much, then driving would be a great job ;o)...

Just a side note: The ONLY reason I wanted to work at UPS was for the great medical benefits, and the pay was just a bonus...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brandis in West Branch, Iowa

57 months ago

Is it hard for a 47 yr old woman to get a job as a package handler?
They have the job listed, 2 different times, and you have to choose one of them. So I chose the 5-9 shift thinking the younger applicants will not want to work nights, to go out...well that is not the time frame they need. I'd work any shift.

I am old school. Love physical work. Is it terrible that my age is 47?
Many think I am in my mid 30's.

How do I get in the door with this company?
Great work history, my business flooded in the Iowa Flood of 2008.
The benefits are fantastic. My sister-in-law works in another city, does that hurt my chances?

ilkh in Detroit, Michigan

57 months ago

perrinao in Whittier, California said: Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to become a package truck driver once you start working for UPS. I really want to work for UPS but at the age of 37, I am a little concerned about the idea of being a package handler for many years at only $10 an hour before getting an opportunity to drive.

Too many variables unique to each building: whether volume's declining, holding or expanding; the number of drivers not working every day; the number of drivers retiring; the number of part-timers interested in FT driving; the number of PT that will ultimately qualify; etc.

For various reasons, UPS has tightened FT opportunities since 2008:
1) the national economy
2) a new contract that allows significant increased flexibility in using PTers to temporarily work FT
3) continued investments in technology that enable more production from each driver (***or management working FTers to the brink, depending on your view)
4) elimination of many FT, inside jobs (usually by eliminating shifts or closing centers) -> these employees can either double-shift or bid on a driving job

Thus, everybody hired since 2008 has served their time. It's IMPOSSIBLE to estimate a time, but I'd expect to be PT for a few years. The good news is:

1) PTers enjoy similar health benefits as their FT counterparts (1-yr for the employee, 18-mo. for his family)
2) you can work as a seasonal driver during the summer and holiday season (these jobs pay nearly $17/hr. and few PTers are interested)
3) you may get the option of air driving, either on Sat., during the week or both... these jobs are PT, progress to a similar hourly wage as FT, and are noncompetitive at many buildings.

But if the prospect of working PT for several years upsets you... DON'T APPLY.

ilkh in Detroit, Michigan

57 months ago

Brandis in West Branch, Iowa said: Is it hard for a 47 yr old woman to get a job as a package handler?

No. They hire many middle-aged women. In many cases, being in that demographic may actually INCREASE your chances of being offered employment since UPS strives for diversity.

[quote]They have the job listed, 2 different times, and you have to choose one of them. So I chose the 5-9 shift thinking the younger applicants will not want to work nights, to go out...well that is not the time frame they need. I'd work any shift.

It doesn't matter. Young people equally prefer both shifts... some drink before work, some after ;).

[quote]Is it terrible that my age is 47?

No.

[quote]How do I get in the door with this company? ... My sister-in-law works in another city, does that hurt my chances?

Not at all... in fact, if she hands your name in as a referral, it'll INCREASE your chances of being hired.

Cynthia in Moncton, New Brunswick

56 months ago

Lifer in Calgary, Alberta said: I hear alot of comments on here about employees working as a part time package handler and moving up to drivers or beyond, but taking 10+ years to do so. I am currently 18, and started as a pt package handler when I was 16. After 1.5 years of employment, I became a pt supervisor for the operations, and I recently got promoted to an Operations Management Specialist. I am currently making appr $66000 a year, with no post secondary education. I have full benefits, and work out of an office with great people in a team environment. I couldn't ask for more. Anyone looking at working here, show some motivation, ask questions, and learn a few things. You'll be surprised at the amount of career options made available to you.

We have a new UPS hub and delivery centre coming to Moncton soon. I've been working in the call centre for almost 15 years and have applied for the position of Operations Management Specialist. Can you tell me more about this position? What you do and how you enjoy it. Also, any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

chris9014 in Staten Island, New York

56 months ago

iv heard top salary for UPS driver is like 29.60/hour or somewhere around there. When they say "top pay" does that mean once you hit that amount your never going to get another raise from the company ever again? Or do you get raises every once in a while? And if you do how often?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.