UPS Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 191)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

30 year upser in Missouri

62 months ago

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania said: 30 year

had my tour and interview i thought the iterveiw went great until the hr rep asked if i had any felnoys or any kind of record and i do have a misdemenor back in 2002 for bad checks do you think i have a chance or no?

Lori, the best thing is to be upfront and honest. If it was a misdemenor, it shouldn't be any problem. What the company is looking for is felonies, especially stealing. You should be okay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

30 year i told the hr rep about the mindeminor on my record and she said it might be a problem but it is up to corporte. and i checked my app on line and it got changed to loader unloader des that mean i have a shot at it or not?

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania said: 30 year i told the hr rep about the mindeminor on my record and she said it might be a problem but it is up to corporte. and i checked my app on line and it got changed to loader unloader des that mean i have a shot at it or not?

thanks

Not sure what that means, changing your job description. What was it before?
On the other hand, if your app is still on line, that is a good sign.
Just keep plugging away and hope for the best. I still think, having a misdemenor shouldn't keep you from getting the job.

Good Luck--Tony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

30 year

as going to be a part time employee i hope
how many hours do you have to work to get overtime i heard anything over fivein a day

thanks lori

62 months ago

i don't know if 30 year knows this but how much do we get paid for training in cornerstone?
also how much have you made in peak season is is alot more than reg season?

sorry if im asking so many questions but you have been there 30 years i thought it would be better to ask you for most questions.

62 months ago

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania said: i don't know if 30 year knows this but how much do we get paid for training in cornerstone?
also how much have you made in peak season is is alot more than reg season?

sorry if im asking so many questions but you have been there 30 years i thought it would be better to ask you for most questions.

You can contact me anythime, Lori. Glad to help out any newbies. :)

Yes you get paid during your cornerstone training which is 8.50 an hour.
During peak season, the pay rate is the same but you will get paid more due to the hours worked. In other words, normally you get anywhere from three and a half hours to as many as 5 to 6 hours worked because of the heavy volume during this time. When you go over 5 hours you will get overtime at 1 1/2 rate of pay.
BTW, I am now going on 32 years. LOL

As I said,feel free to contact me anytime on this forum. Glad to oblige. I know what you are all going through and what you will be going through once you get the job.

One other thing, to anyone reading this. You guys and gals have it good now days. I know I am going to sound like my father, but....back in the old days, when I started in 1977--most of you probably weren'tborn yet, LOL--- we didn't have 10 minute breaks or for that matter fans. It was a virtual sweat shop. Now you do get breaks and ther is a fan in every truck. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

30 year or should i say 32 year

do you know how many hours for the so called four days in day we will have training?

and have you ever been a driver helper and how good does it pay or not and how many hours in a day or week do drivers helper get?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania said: 30 year or should i say 32 year

do you know how many hours for the so called four days in day we will have training?

and have you ever been a driver helper and how good does it pay or not and how many hours in a day or week do drivers helper get?

For cornerstone I assume it is anywhere from 3-4 hours a day. I am not sure how many days. When I started back in 1977 they didn't have training like cornerstone. My first day, my supervisor put me in a truck, worked with me for about a half hour and said, "There you go, that is how you load a truck. I will check with you in an hour and see how you are doing."
That was my training. LOL
I have driven as a package car driver for a while but not as a driver helper.
The pay is the same I believe, but it is only available to twilight and night people because in addition to being a driver helper, you will also have to do your regular job as a package handler. The hours you will put in is anywhere from 2-3 hours a day.
They do hire driver helpers off the street in additon to hiring them from the inside.
If you are a package handler and want to be a driver helper, it is based on seniority, which means you wont be a driver helper becaouse of too many people in front of you.
Good luck Lori in whatever you do for UPS.

62 months ago

any one out there besides 30 year

have you been a driver helper and what is is like what hours did you work and how much did you get payed?

62 months ago

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania said: any one out there besides 30 year

have you been a driver helper and what is is like what hours did you work and how much did you get payed?

Okay, I did a little checking. The pay is, at least where I work is 12.88 per hour. The hours usually start about 1:00 pm and you are out about 3-4 hours a day.
What you do is meet a driver about at a set time while he is on his route. Dont be late. He is on a time schedule. Once you are done with the driver, then you go to work in the building doing your regular job.
Now it looks like you are interested in being a driver helper. They do hire outside, meaning they will hire you to help the driver. Once the holiday season is over, you will be laid off and pray that you get called back.
If you are planning on getting hired as apackage handler and also a driver helper, dont ccount on it. Being a driver helper is based on seniority and since you are basically a new-hire, you wont have chance to be one. Sorreeeee. :)
Should you be a driver's helper, get a lot of rest because you will be very busy, running to houses dropping off packages while either the driver waits for you or is delivering other packages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

thanks 30year
i called today to up on my tour/interview and got told that they are waiting to see hoqw many spots they have to fill right now does that sound good or no?

i figured i would have to wait to be a driver helper when and if i get into ups.

how big is the hub where you work?

i was told that the one in west chester pa is one of there small ones

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

If they told you they are waiting to see how many spots to fill, looks like you're in.
There is a possiblity they may ask you to be a driver's helper, but the gig is only for about two weeks, maybe three at the most. I am not sure if they will ask you to come back to work in the hub after the xmas rush. That is why I hope you get to work as a package handler instead of being a driver helper. As PH, you will definitely get more hours of work per day plus you have a better chance to get called back after the xmas rush if you are a good worker and they like you.

There are hubs and there are centers.
Hubs are huge buildings where they can push through 250,000 packages in a 24 hour period. During peak season or the holiday rush, it could be 350,000 or more packages processed in a 24 hour period or more. I work in a hub.

Centers are smaller building that are in outlying areas in the smaller rural counties. They may push 50-100,000 packages in a 24 hour period.

The thing to remember is whether you work in a center or hub, you are guranteed 3.5 hours of work a day. YOu will get overtime after 5 hours or work per day.

Good Luck in whatever happens---Tony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

this is the last post for today i hope

how many trucks does your hub have? the one in west chester has 225 and it serves all of chester county most of montgomery county and some of delaware county that's what they told me at the tour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania said: this is the last post for today i hope

how many trucks does your hub have? the one in west chester has 225 and it serves all of chester county most of montgomery county and some of delaware county that's what they told me at the tour.

I believe it has that many or more, So it looks like you work in a hub rather than a center, which is good because you have a better chance of getting a job than at a center.
Good luck and let me know what happens. :)

62 months ago

lori knittle in pottstown, Pennsylvania said: this is the last post for today i hope

What I meant was in my hub it has that many or more. So as I said, it looks like you will be working in a hub, which i s good

62 months ago

30 year
do you know how much of a discount you get to send packages?

lori

62 months ago

do you know how much of a discount you get to send packages?

lori

if you mean since you are an employee of UPS, you get a discount. Sorry, hate to burst your bubble but there are no discounts for ups employees when sending packages.

62 months ago

30 year
how long are package handlers layed off after peak season?
and how long where you a ph until you got to drive?

62 months ago

how long are package handlers layed off after peak season?
and how long where you a ph until you got to drive?

I was a ph for almost 7 years, but then again I came from a big hub and it took longer.
As far as lay off after peak season, it could be any where from 1-3 weeks or more. It will depend on the volume and the economy at the time.
If you are package handler before and during peak season, if you are a good worker, show up everyday and on time you will have a good shot at getting called back sooner than somebody who is late all the time and is not a good worker.

Shad0wFX in Pompano Beach, Florida

62 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: I was a ph for almost 7 years, but then again I came from a big hub and it took longer.
As far as lay off after peak season, it could be any where from 1-3 weeks or more. It will depend on the volume and the economy at the time.
If you are package handler before and during peak season, if you are a good worker, show up everyday and on time you will have a good shot at getting called back sooner than somebody who is late all the time and is not a good worker.

I just read this whole forum. I think it's pretty cool that you're still around. I actually have wanted to work for UPS since I was a little kid(3). I am not 18 and I dropped out of High School to get my GED I did that as soon as I dropped out. I put applications in everywhere and no one ever called me back. I started a frenzy with collecting stickers for about a month and the UPS truck came to my house quite a few times to deliver them. This guy has been driving for 22 years, so I would talk to him about getting a job at UPS and this and that. Finally he told me they usually start hiring at the end of September. So I waited until then and there was an opening online. I put the information in there and I got the tour and interview the following week which was last Monday. I got a call from the HR yesterday saying to come in this Monday to fill out some paperwork and I start Tuesday at 3a.m. Do you think since I am starting this early that it's Seasonal or Part-Time. It said Part-Time orignally on the website, but when I went in there she talked a lot about Seasonal this and that... My Uncle owns about 5 UPS stores here in FL as to which I know are not owned by UPS, but simply Franchises. I just thought it was really cool to tell him I got hired at UPS as a Part-Time PH. I was also wondering how much YOU make an hour for both of your jobs and how many hours you work?

62 months ago

I am so psyched that I got my dream job, but do you think I will like it as much as I should? I've always wanted to work for Brown, and have awesome Benefits that will be good in the long-run. Are they as good as they say they are? I will ask my HR about any questions you can't answer. Thank you so much 32 yearER. How old are you now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

My Father said this is a great oppertunity for me hence the fact I am 18, I have a bank account with over 1k in it and I am doing the right thing. Do you think I could take advantage of their programs and take a business class in College to better myself in the company for the future. P.S. If I am being hired for Seasonal I will work my butt off and arrive on-time so I do get the job afterward for Part-Time. I would also like to inquire about when I am able to join the Union. Is it 90 days after you're hired AFTER seasonal? Which means a year to the date you're hired AFTER seasonal you get the benefits or the 90 days AFTER seasonal when you get hired and join the union. I am trying so hard to stay with UPS a long time. I think it will be the best thing for me. School was not for me so I didn't stay in HS. I am actually rated above the expectations of that a normal HS student should be at. I was tested before I left the school. I tested at 12.9 on Math, 12 for Reading, Writing, Science, and History. 12.9 is the highest.

62 months ago

Shad0wFX in Pompano Beach, Florida said: My Father said this is a great oppertunity for me hence the fact I am 18, I have a bank account with over 1k in it and I am doing the right thing. Do you think I could take advantage of their programs and take a business class in College to better myself in the company for the future. P.S. If I am being hired for Seasonal I will work my butt off and arrive on-time so I do get the job afterward for Part-Time. I would also like to inquire about when I am able to join the Union. Is it 90 days after you're hired AFTER seasonal? Which means a year to the date you're hired AFTER seasonal you get the benefits or the 90 days AFTER seasonal when you get hired and join the union. I am trying so hard to stay with UPS a long time. I think it will be the best thing for me. School was not for me so I didn't stay in HS. I am actually rated above the expectations of that a normal HS student should be at. I was tested before I left the school. I tested at 12.9 on Math, 12 for Reading, Writing, Science, and History. 12.9 is the highest.

It takes 30 working days or about six weeks before you join the union. This is your probation period where your supervisor will be watching you, making sure you arrive every day, are energetic, have a good work ethic etc.
Once you gain seniority--make your thirty days, you can take classes under the Earn and Learn program. YOu have to maintain a C average, I believe.
Once you gain seniority, yes it will take a year for you to gain benefits. Since you will be in the middle of peak season, once it is over, there is a chance you will be laid off for a little while. When you get called back, i am not sure when your seniority will begin. Sorry. That is something you need to discuss with your supervisor.

62 months ago

Shad0wFX in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I am so psyched that I got my dream job, but do you think I will like it as much as I should? I've always wanted to work for Brown, and have awesome Benefits that will be good in the long-run. Are they as good as they say they are? I will ask my HR about any questions you can't answer. Thank you so much 32 yearER. How old are you now?

Old enough. I will leave it at that. LOL
Yes, the benefits are great. Medical, dental, etc.
It is good that you are psyched to get this job. It is hard work, but keep plugging away. Dont be afraid to ask questions to your supervisor and even your fellow workers. If you are loading a truck, concentrate on what you are doing. Dont kill yourself trying to impress the supervisor. Pace yourself but dont go too slow, obviously.
The best of luck to you, shadow. :)

JHolbrook in Evansville, Indiana

62 months ago

My husband has worked in factories for the past 2 years. He has experience with 10-12 hour shifts, moving quickly and working under pressure - basically hard labor. Do you think working as a package handler would be a good fit for him?

62 months ago

Ryan6648 in New York said: Hi, i'm currently looking ahead to the future for a career and i've heard nothing but good things about UPS. I have 9 months left in the military which will complete my 6 year tour. I'll be moving back to upstate NY where I will live and i'm thinking about applying to UPS. I am a crewchief on tankers and work extremely hard. Taking care of multi-million dollars worth of equipment everyday and being in charge of ensuring the success of the mission. I was wondering if UPS looks kindly upon men and women with prior military history. Trying to get as much information as possible while doing my research. I'm currently deployed but will check back to see if there are any responses as soon as I can. Thanks for all the information i've ready already.

Yes, UPS loves hiring people in uniform. Unless you apply as a package car driver, (which I would consider) you will be hired as a part time package handler working 3- 4 hours a day, strting at 8.50 an hour.
If you were a driver it would be full time. Not sure what the starting salary is but it should be more than 8.50 an hour. Good Luck.

62 months ago

JHolbrook in Evansville, Indiana said: My husband has worked in factories for the past 2 years. He has experience with 10-12 hour shifts, moving quickly and working under pressure - basically hard labor. Do you think working as a package handler would be a good fit for him?

Yes, that definitely sounds like a job for him but he wont be working 10-12 hour days. it will be more like 3-4 four days starting at 8.50 an hour. If you want to make more money and a full time job, I would suggest he apply as a delivery driver. However it is harder to get that job because they hire mostly from the inside. Good luck

62 months ago

So far so good, I am loading the Package cars and they're paying me 9.50 an hour. I am hired Seaonsal, but I plan on getting hired after seaonsal since I've been on-time everyday so far, and I am always show up with a smile on my face. I started loading the package car last Thursday and I go again tomorrow morning. Well I am off to bed so I can go do my job! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andrew Fitt in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

starting pay for package car drivers is something over $16.00/hr the last time i asked

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kvh in Matteson, Illinois

61 months ago

Anyone know how long it takes to go full time with UPS as a driver once you are hired as a seasonal driver in the Chicago area? I'm sure there are lots of variables involved but any info would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

My opinion, I can ask tomorrow, but I would say you would have to wait until after seasonal is done to even see if you get re-hired, then if they have that spot open after seasonal, you can probably have it. I'll ask tomorrow I know my center isn't bringing in any drivers, just preload people. You have about an 80% chance of staying with UPS after peak season. Good luck to you, I was hired seasonal about a month and a half ago, been working there 7 weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

UPS is fun, I mean I want to get to be a driver one of these days, I love it there I don't care how much they yell at me they wont break my happiness, They have such wonderful benefits!

60 months ago

Good luck to you sir!

kvh in Matteson, Illinois

60 months ago

Shad0wFX in Pompano Beach, Florida said: UPS is fun, I mean I want to get to be a driver one of these days, I love it there I don't care how much they yell at me they wont break my happiness, They have such wonderful benefits!

Sounds like you have the right attitude for the job and your right about the perks. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MARL8Y in Omaha, Nebraska

52 months ago

I have been with UPS for a short time as a Loader and was given the opportunity to advance as a PT Supervisor. My question is would I be better off staying in the position I am already in since I belong to the Union or will taking the new postion give me more opportunity to become a Package Delivery Driver in the future? Also, what kind of wages and benefits do the Supervisor recieve. Any info would be appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sweets2323 in Hollywood, Florida

52 months ago

IN my area they are hiring Cargo handler.. What really is it? and how is it? they only pay 9.50 an hour, I have a BA but I need work.. Is there a chance of growing or getting promoted..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

softconcrete in Worcester, Massachusetts

50 months ago

Hey, I just have a question. I recently started working at UPS in Massacusetts, I have just completed my 27th day. Am I in the union after my 30 days? Or do you have to wait until you pay off your initiation fee? I asked my training supervisor but he wasnt entirely sure. Thanks!

Aidan in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

softconcrete in Worcester, as a new hire myself, I know my pay has been deducted weekly for the union initiation fee (until it's paid off), along with its due. (The due is going to be permanent) I would like to think that the moment you've submitted your union application, you're already in the union. I was told that you have to complete your probationary period, which for me lasts 45 days, until your union can represent you the benefit of working under a good contract.

TommyJ in Wauseon, Ohio

50 months ago

I was wondering if anyone knows the top rate pay for a PT Sorter?

Tommy Barfield in Albany, Georgia

50 months ago

30 year upser said: Actually it was a stroke of luck. I was in college and I was eating lunch with a classmate and I asked him what he did for a living. He said he worked in HR at UPS. He told me the starting rate was 6.50 an hour. I almost choked on my food. This was 1977. at the time minimum wage was like 2.50 an hour, so 6.50 seemed like a fortune. It would be like minimum wage now at 7.50 an hour and the starting rate would be 22.50 an hour.
Anyway, I asked him--more like demanded him to get me on at UPS. The rest is history. I have done just about every job there, from unloading to loading to driving the brown trucks. The only thing I haven't done is drive the big rigs. I am now a sorter and an address correction clerk.

Maybe you can help me. Please e-mail me at suebarfield60@yahoo.com. I'm the one asking how do I get my benefits I left at ups after 10 years: an address, phone number or some way to get in touch with them now. Thanks a million!!

jimmy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Can any full time drivers fill me in on the average time you finish your route. I know it varies, but I'm wondering what to expect on average. Also, online the day after Thanksgiving and the day before New Years are listed as ups holidays except for air and international deliveries. Does this mean full time drivers get this day off or not? I know these questions make me sound like a slacker, but I am not, I am just trying to prepare myself for what's ahead. Thank you for your input.

twcorliss in New Bedford, Massachusetts

50 months ago

30 yr upser

I recently completed the UPS road test and passed, process of being set up for the week long training class. How is this class, should I worry about it? Additionally, I am going to be hired as a casual package driver. I was told that by HR that I may be laid off at the end of teh December. What is the chance of being hired as a full time driver?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

amr209 209amr in stockton, California

49 months ago

marilyn vic in Novato, California said: To Tony - My son has been working for almost 1 year as P/T package handler here in CA. What he has learned is that while UPS says P/T employees are eligible to full benefits - you must work 80 hours in the prior month to get those benefits and employees are only guaranteed 3.5 hours a shift so you never meet that 80 hours except during holiday rush. No sick leave, no medical etc. Its a very deceptive lure to potential employees. He'll complete his year and look elsewhere to make more money for less back breaking work.

that's strange, as at my hub (stockton, ca) the monthly requirement is only 60 hrs. & is pretty easily met by most all part timers every month

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

YoungGun in El Sobrante, California

49 months ago

kdiesel913 in Patchogue, New York said: How long and how much is the raise as a Pt package handler at UPS. I heard 90 days and it's a $1.00. Is that true?

That is true at my hub..

zz117744 in Patchogue, New York

49 months ago

Does anyone know if UPS gives Christmas bonuses to part time package handlers that are in the union?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

knwalter in Wilmington, Delaware

48 months ago

My husband just got on part-time for seasonal work in the Philadelphia airport area as a UPS ramp worker. I've read this forum and have seen many discussions on package handlers and drivers, but not on ramp workers. Does it work the same for the ramp workers as for the package handlers? As much as my husband has explained to me, he works through Christmas, is then let go. At the end of January, they have an "open hire" and he has to call them, not wait on them to call him, to let them know he wants a permanent part-time job. He has made the comment that the seasonal workers will get first priority on the jobs over off-the-street candidates. Also, you really have to wait for a year to get benefits and then another six months for family? Is there any out of pocket expense, as in out of his check for family coverage or just the above mentioned co-pays? Also, he has heard that there will be supervisor positions available. How does this work, he says that if they want you as a supervisor you don't get let go, you become an active permanent part-time supervisor right after the seasonal work ends. My husband has had his back and his spirit broken by his current full-time job industry (re-building automotive transmissions) and had finally realized after 20 years in the business that no benefits, no loyalty means time to move on. Is there any chance of getting hired as a mechanic for UPS once you're already on the inside even if you don't have experience with diesel and only limited engine experience. Shouldn't 20 years working on rear-ends, transmissions and doing general automotive repair count for anything? Sorry for the long rant of questions, just trying to figure out if he should pursue the mechanic avenue or shoot for something
else like a driver. Also, if anyone has any idea on the salary for a mechanic, that would be helpful too. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UPS1987 in California

48 months ago

zz117744 in Patchogue, New York said: Does anyone know if UPS gives Christmas bonuses to part time package handlers that are in the union?

No...we used to get a Turkey, but that's been eliminated as well. Sigh...

UPSHopeful in Clinton, Tennessee

46 months ago

I was just wondering if anybody knew the answer to this question. my great uncle used to work for UPS and retired with a great retirement plan and was pretty high up there in the business, but anyway my question is i was wondering if even though he is retired would he be able to pull some strings to land me a job through UPS a little easier than just applying? If you know the answer to this id appreciate it if you were to email me at tylernl65@gmail.com thanks for your time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nik008 in Dallas, Texas

46 months ago

I've been at UPS for 5 years and think I will be becoming a driver soon, there is only 1 preloader/local sort ahead of me. I was wondering if they drug test when you become a driver

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

upser in Maple Shade, New Jersey

45 months ago

Old school ups in Bellmawr, New Jersey said: In the beginning management was the type of company I desired to work in "recognition for being a great employee", 12-15 years later everything turned ridiculas. Great workers in any department were overlooked on promotions due to HR hiring strategies. Hiring unprepared minorities over experienced employees, promoting friends, transfering reputable coworkers for slackers, making dedicated employees do all the dirty work for the slackers, broken promises...and so on. There is no special perks unless you stay in the union, don't listen to any of the lies.

There are no longer any bonus for PT sups.
long term the safe bet is on the union, every single FT sup job has 20 people in that building alone after it and if you aren't putting up the best numbers ANNNDDD also respected and liked by the current FT team (its an exclusive club, if they don't want to let you join, you wont)

The company does participate in reverse discrimination so that all the minority and womans magazines give them awards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.