UPS Shifts

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

deyes in Glendale Heights, Illinois

101 months ago

Why does UPS hire someone as a package handler and then send them home when they arrive for their shift? At today's gas prices this is ridiculous!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

deyes in Glendale Heights, Illinois said: Why does UPS hire someone as a package handler and then send them home when they arrive for their shift? At today's gas prices this is ridiculous!

Its me again. Does anyone have an answer? This happen again tonight. 3 days in a roll, sent home.

Reply - Report abuse

Watertown_UPS in Waterbury, Connecticut

100 months ago

Are you still working at UPS now?

Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Actually, it is my son. It is his first job, but he was hired to work 5:00 to 10:00, Monday through Friday and he is lucky if he gets to work 2 - 3 days a week. The other days he drives into work and then they send him home.

Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Do you work for UPS?

Reply - Report abuse

Watertown_UPS in Waterbury, Connecticut

100 months ago

yes...and once he gets his senority and is in the union. He MUST get paid so many hours per day/shift. Even if he works them or not. How long has he worked there? Trust me, peak is comming up and he will be working 5 days soon.

Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

He has been there about 45 days now. He is at the half way point. What happens at 90 days. Does he become union automatically or will he have to initiate it?

Reply - Report abuse

newupser in Chicago, Illinois

99 months ago

deyes in Glendale Heights, Illinois said: He has been there about 45 days now. He is at the half way point. What happens at 90 days. Does he become union automatically or will he have to initiate it?

He Should be in the Union as of day one. I just started with UPS on 10/17/08 and I filled out Union paperwork on my hire date. I also know that I will be paying union dues as of day one. Which means that I will have Union backing from day one.

The Union Contracts state that one is guaranteed 3.5 hrs per shift and that if a person is being sent home early or being sent home that one should still see payment for said days regardless of actually working. If this is not the case then he should take his pay stubs to his union rep and fill a grievance.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sophisticas in Rochester, New York

98 months ago

what is the ups driver helper?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Fred in San Diego, California

98 months ago

deyes in Glendale Heights, Illinois said: Its me again. Does anyone have an answer? This happen again tonight. 3 days in a roll, sent home.

Under US Fed labor law (code) if the employer asks you to show up on the job and sends you home they are required to pay you 2 hours for "Show-Up" time. It's the law.

Reply - Report abuse

journeyer in lancaster, South Carolina

98 months ago

There is no Federal labor law requiring "show up" time. All federal law requires is that you receive pay for hours actually worked. If the employee handbook specifies "show up" pay or if there is a labor contract which specifies such, then the company would be required to pay it. Also, some states legally require "show up" pay.

Reply - Report abuse

BeanCounterBabe in Carrollton, Texas

98 months ago

newUPSer in Chicago, Illinois said: He Should be in the Union as of day one. I just started with UPS on 10/17/08 and I filled out Union paperwork on my hire date. I also know that I will be paying union dues as of day one. Which means that I will have Union backing from day one.

The Union Contracts state that one is guaranteed 3.5 hrs per shift and that if a person is being sent home early or being sent home that one should still see payment for said days regardless of actually working. If this is not the case then he should take his pay stubs to his union rep and fill a grievance.

He is not guaranteed daily pay until he attains seniority with the union...which is 70 days worked within his first 180 days of employment. The days he showed up but didn't have any hours worked will not count. Only the days he was actually paid for will count towards the seniority requirement.
"Show up" pay is in the contract but only for employees who have attained seniority with the company.
We see this a lot with new hires. UPS is not going to keep people at work if there is not enough package volume for them to handle. Since the union is seniority based, the newest employees are the first to get sent home.

Reply - Report abuse

98 months ago

Thank you, this was helpful. I will pass this information on to my son.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

clowng in Wisconsin

85 months ago

Normally they have a few people "on call" for the sort. They have to call every day to see if they are "on" or not. It is not typical to make someone come in and then send you home. At least they normally ask a higher senority person if they would like to go home, before they send a lower senority person home. The goal is usually to work a new hire 3 days a week. Volume must be really off. Sorry!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.