When UPS gives you an ultimatum

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Diane

88 months ago

I worked for UPS for about 3 years, yet one night I go in to work and I'm told either I can quit or be fired.

No reason or their part has ever been given. The job was nice but if you don't have job security it's not worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tina in Middlefield, Connecticut

88 months ago

No way, they can't just tell you that with no reason. Did you demand a reason why? There has to be a reason they did that.
If they refused a reason, then you could have fought it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

frank rizzo in South Roxana, Illinois

86 months ago

Never quit, that is what they want so they don't have to pay for your unemployment. I would have politely told them to <Edited by Host: vulgar language removed>.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stan in Lithonia, Georgia

86 months ago

jim in Atlanta, Georgia said: If I am not mistaken, in a 'right to work state', i.e. Georgia, no reason needed...

That's where the Union comes into play. They can't fire you without a valid reason IF you're in a Union, regardless if a state is a "right to work state" or not. The binding contract that you sign with them requires that UPS provide a reason for your termination. But, if you just don't won't to put up with it, and you want to just get out, let them fire you LOL. It's foolish to leave with nothing if you can leave with something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

stan in Lithonia, Georgia

86 months ago

also, if they threaten you like that and you're in the Union, talk to your Union steward. Don't ask your supervisor about it, ask fellow employees instead. Even if you're not in the Union, still ask for one and talk to him about the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

86 months ago

jim in Atlanta, Georgia said: If I am not mistaken, in a 'right to work state', i.e. Georgia, no reason needed...

So is missouri, but if that person was there for three years he has union representation. they just cant fire people willy nilly. That is what shop stewards are for.
I believe there is more to this than what is being told.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Duluth, Georgia

84 months ago

"If I am not mistaken, in a 'right to work state', i.e. Georgia, no reason needed..."

That is correct, you can be fired for no reason at any given time, however if you have not been given any notice & you've been there awhile (6 or 12 mths, not sure which) you can file for unemployment benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Culloden, West Virginia

84 months ago

Yes, they can fire you for no reason - they did the same to my son when they found out that he had JD (which he didn't have to disclose because of the disability law and discrimination law but once they found out ) - no reason was given - other than they just didn't need him anymore. They are a dishonest outfit.....at least in Huntington, WV and someone should stop them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Debbie in Culloden, West Virginia said: Yes, they can fire you for no reason - they did the same to my son when they found out that he had JD (which he didn't have to disclose because of the disability law and discrimination law but once they found out ) - no reason was given - other than they just didn't need him anymore. They are a dishonest outfit.....at least in Huntington, WV and someone should stop them

if your son can prove somehow that he was fired because of JD he should get his job back. Missouri is not a right to work state but it does have a law called "At Will" which means an employer can fire you with no reason as long it is not for descriminatory reasons such as sex,religion or in your son's case--medical reasons. You're son needs to call his union local or maybe a labor lawyer who specializes in descrimination law.--Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Reenie in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

WOW!
What a shocker. Out of curiousity I wanted to see if there was a forum about this UPS issue and voila here it is. My guy has been employed for 9 years at the airport hub in Philly. In those years he's never had a problem with any safety violation issues. He has even been praised for catching a near miss of someone damaging a plane during an audit. Amazingly enough his anniversary date arrived (along with his raise) and a supervisor accused him of endangering his crew mates while driving the crew van in 2nd gear. He supposedly crossed into "The TRIANGLE" (which no one,even the safety board has never even heard of)He was told to report to a meeting with this supervisor(who's known to be sort of the school yard bully)inimidating employees. When arriving at the meeting he was told he no longer is a UPS employee. His shop steward said nothing (great representation huh?)He had to stand up for himself and was then given a suspension with threats that on returning to the job, he's not to try and dodge certain jobs where he'd get out of being caught on any safety violations. He contacted the Union Hall himself to see if they had gotten a report on any of this and they hadn't. He's sick to his stomach to think that they would set someone up, who has worked hard for them through all types of weather conditions & takes such pride in his job. While they continue to hire on the biggest slackers around who do nothing which means what can THEY get in trouble for.I guess that's the thanx you get from your employer for being one of the GOOD GUYS. He's waiting for a response from one of the "brothers" in the union. We'll see how much of a family member he is by the way they stand up for you. This is all crazy to me. No one is secure in their job, we all know that, but when they intentionally lie to get you out thats just plain "WRONG" Thanx for letting me vent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.