How to get a job at UPS.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 116)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

30 year upser

83 months ago

If you are officially assigned as a sorter--that is you do it everyday, you should have received skill pay for your sick day. If you are a back-up sorter, then you would have gotten the lower pay. I would discuss it with a shop steward before talking to the supervisor. If he tells you that you should have gotten skill pay then talk to your supervisor. If the supervisor still disagrees then ask to see the shop steward so you could all discuss it together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pookiu brown in east aurora, New York

83 months ago

i just started working for UPS, im really happy, i would just like to know if i wanted to go to collage how does earn and learn program work, can i go to any collage and they would reimburse you for that year, anyy suggestion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

83 months ago

I am not sure how exactly how it works because I have never used it. The best thing to do is ask your immediate supervisor for info. If he cant help you ask the full time supe. If nothing else go to the HR at your building. They should be able to help. Glad like working at UPS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel Kuehl in Palm Bay, Florida

82 months ago

30 year upser said: I am not sure how exactly how it works because I have never used it. The best thing to do is ask your immediate supervisor for info. If he cant help you ask the full time supe. If nothing else go to the HR at your building. They should be able to help. Glad like working at UPS.

30 year upser. im new to the site but ive been looking through the questions and the answers that people have been asking you and the answers you've been giving and i want to ask you a question.
i live in palmbay florida there are two ups branchs in the area that hire drivers, package handlers and so on and is it just best to look online everyday for job openings or can i just drive to these place and ask for an application? i really want to get a job with ups and i know id be a great imployee its just the getting in is the hard part from what i see and hear.
my main reason for wanting to get in with ups is a longterm career change from what i do now. im a roofer for my parents company and after ten years im looking for something for my future and feel ups would be a perfect fit for me.
anyways, enough rambling thanks for any advice that you could give.

dan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

82 months ago

Daniel--It is good that you want to work for UPS for two reasons. One is that it is a good job to advance to hopefully be a driver one day. Second you get benefits. This is important because come August 1 of this year new hires hired after that date will NOT get benefits at all for 1 year and another six months for coverage for their family.
As far as getting a job at UPS, tell them that you are eager to want to work there. That you would be a hard worker because you are used to hard labor. Try applying on line at both facilities. Wait a week or so and then call the HR of both buildings to see if they received the application. If you get a live person, tell that person you are calling because you want to work at UPS and would like to be interviewed. Good Luck

82 months ago

30 year upser said: Daniel--It is good that you want to work for UPS for two reasons. One is that it is a good job to advance to hopefully be a driver one day. Second you get benefits. This is important because come August 1 of this year new hires hired after that date will NOT get benefits at all for 1 year and another six months for coverage for their family.
As far as getting a job at UPS, tell them that you are eager to want to work there. That you would be a hard worker because you are used to hard labor. Try applying on line at both facilities. Wait a week or so and then call the HR of both buildings to see if they received the application. If you get a live person, tell that person you are calling because you want to work at UPS and would like to be interviewed. Good Luck

thanks for responding 30yr upser. what if there are no openings online for those two locations, could i still go there and fill out an app or would they say we have no openings and to check back online for when they do. i just think it makes more sense to speak with someone in person and to fill out an app at the location but i dont know how they do things.

30 year upser

82 months ago

Daniel--I am not sure if you could apply in person anymore. You could always try. Either way wether it be in person or internet go ahead and apply. Reason being is that even if they dont have any openings, they will keep you application for a year. Once you fill out the app. on line, wait a week and then call HR at both locations to make sure they recieved it okay. This would be a good excuse to call them anyway. As I said if you do get a live person, tell them that you would like to work for UPS, whatever it takes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RICESKI in Columbia, South Carolina

82 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. I mean maybe it is a spoof thing? I once wrote a letter to Kelly Girl [ yeah i am a guy - :)] saying I is an old broad and in needing of a rael job and to please send me something soon cause i is gonna die if'n i gots me no job - plase hurry. they actually called me and laughed - hahaha so it might be - but still - who knows?

RICESKI in Columbia, South Carolina

82 months ago

Erik in Salt Lake City, Utah said: LOL...I'm sorry but this posting is just wrong. I don't mean to be rude, but if your applications contain the same kind of spelling I'm seeing on here...you won't get a call. You may be a very qualified and intelligent candidate...so PLEASE just make sure you check for spelling and grammatical errors. Most hiring managers don't take an applicant serious if they can't spell on their application. Also, have someone help you put together a nice resume.

What does you meen? If they is like that I meen a spelling racist - waht does I care? Semes to me they coud mayb teach me you no like on the secnod shiff?
:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

a mond in Ohio

82 months ago

so its been about 2 weeks since my interview and still no call if i call them who should i ask to talk 2?

30 year upser

82 months ago

a mond in Ohio said: so its been about 2 weeks since my interview and still no call if i call them who should i ask to talk 2?

Yes, definitely call them, especially if you know the person who interviewed you. Tell them you were interviewed and just following up. Tell them also that you really would like to work for UPS.---good luck.

dal77 in Columbus, Georgia

82 months ago

a mond in Ohio said: so its been about 2 weeks since my interview and still no call if i call them who should i ask to talk 2?

I agree w/a mond- call them. My son has been w/UPS for over 2 yrs now, and when he applied, he didn't hear anything for at least 3 months, but at least that tells you they really do keep their apps for awhile. He started out as a driver assistant for just the holidays, and then when the job ended, they called him and offered him a loading position on second shift. So if you do a good job, they will keep you in mind!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tldc in brandon, Mississippi

80 months ago

Hi everybody! I went yesterday for my tour and interview with UPS and it was a very quick interview. He said he asked if he could do a background check of course I said yes.
He told me what shift he would rather me work and said that if I was one they chose he would give a call. That it would be about 2wks for me to start work if I was one they chose.
I don't want to be discouraged but I am. I know I'm a women but I know I can work hard I use to work as a wing-cutter at sanderson farms so I know what it's like to work hard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

80 months ago

why are you discouraged? it takes a while to sift through all the applications and interviews. I would wait a week and then give them a call. when being inteviewed, always ask for a business card with a phone number. If you dont have one, go to the HR where you interviewed at and see if you can talk to the interviewer. This shows that you are eager to work and want to find out the status of your interview.---good luck

nick116 in Kansas City, Kansas

80 months ago

Hello 30 year upser, I was really wanting to know the details on how to become a driver at ups assuming you started out as a package handler. I have heard from different people saying that it takes years for ups to make you a driver. But when I asked a ups guy he said he only worked there a year and six months and they made him a driver. Any and all info on how the process of becoming a driver would be greatly appreciated! The only reason I ask is I would really like to be a driver and would be willing to put up with the package handler for awhile but not 5 years.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

80 months ago

Nick, it all depends on the center you work at. In my area, it takes anywhere from 5-8 years to be a driver. the best thing to do is apply, and ask your inteviewer. or ask the ups guy in your area, (assuming you will work out of the same building). He would then be able to tell you the turn around time to be a driver. Good luck.

80 months ago

Thank you, does it make a difference if I'm 36yrs old and a women? Would they likely hire the men because they are stronger? They only had 2 or 3 women in our group, out of 12 I was like 1 of the last ones they called into the office for an interview-& it didn't last but for 5 mins if that. Thanks for your input it really helps alot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

80 months ago

tldc in brandon, Mississippi said: Thank you, does it make a difference if I'm 36yrs old and a women? Would they likely hire the men because they are stronger? They only had 2 or 3 women in our group, out of 12 I was like 1 of the last ones they called into the office for an interview-& it didn't last but for 5 mins if that. Thanks for your input it really helps alot

If I were UPS I would hire you simply because an older person has a better work ethic than a "kid". You are likely to show up everyday where a younger person, especially on a friday night will take off to go to a concert or whatever.
Unfortunately, that's me. As I said before, I would wait a week and give UPS a call or drop by HR.
Something else. All UPS centers have what is called a small sort. That is where small packages are sent to instead of putting them on the conveyor belt. When you talk to the interviewer, ask them if they have any openings in the small sort area. This shows you have done your research on the operation of UPS. If nothing else, you could be hired as a loader or unloader and then eventually sign your name to work in the small sort area.

Good luck and let me know what happens.

80 months ago

Thank you very much I will let you know what happens. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!!

sherree in Jacksonville, Florida

80 months ago

I would like to know which web site to go to for an actual job application for UPS. Seems most you have to pay for a job application. Can you please be specific as to where to apply to?

Jelly in Davenport, Iowa

80 months ago

just go to upsjobs.com it'll take you the site. next click jobsearch or something like that. and type in the city you live... should be eazy from there. and here's a question of my own to whoever thinks they can answer. I probably had my first UPS interview atleast 3 months ago. They said they'd call back for a second interview. They haven't since then. Should I ever expect to be called back or should I stop hoping. The other thing is the UPS factory which I applied to has been advertising that they are hiring ever since I first heard about it back in January. So my question is why would they not call me back if they still need more workers?

cornelius garrett in chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

i am a very hardworker i will work anyshift anyday anytime

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

80 months ago

cornelius garrett in chicago, Illinois said: i am a very hardworker i will work anyshift anyday anytime

I dont know where you live in Chicago. I do know that they have a Super Hub in that city which means they have hundreds upon hundreds of people working there. I'm sure they have room for one more worker. go to upsjobs.com and follow their lead.--good luck

80 months ago

30 year upser said: I dont know where you live in Chicago. I do know that they have a Super Hub in that city which means they have hundreds upon hundreds of people working there. I'm sure they have room for one more worker. go to upsjobs.com and follow their lead.--good luck

hey 30yr upser. Daniel from florida. i finally got an interview with ups on the 17 of this month. im a little nervous because im getting married next month and taking and 8day honeymoon. i feel like i finally have my chance to get my foot in the door im just hoping getting married isnt a turnoff to them. im just gonna be up front and let them know i have something planned ahead of time and hope they accept that.
i feel that i could get the job i just hope the understand something like getting married.
what do you think?

30 year upser

80 months ago

that is the best thing to do. Be honest. Tell them you definitely want to work for UPS. In fact, I would tell them that because you are getting married you will need a job and you want to work for them. Also tell them that your ambition is to eventually go into supervision or being a delivery driver. (not sure if that was your goal, but if you tell them that, it will show you want stability and a good job since you are now married.)

Good luck

80 months ago

30 year upser said: that is the best thing to do. Be honest. Tell them you definitely want to work for UPS. In fact, I would tell them that because you are getting married you will need a job and you want to work for them. Also tell them that your ambition is to eventually go into supervision or being a delivery driver. (not sure if that was your goal, but if you tell them that, it will show you want stability and a good job since you are now married.)

Good luck

hey thanks for repling back. i dont know if ive mentioned that i do want to transition from my fulltime job now to one day being fulltime with ups. im a roofer now for my parents roofing company and i just dont wanna do it forever. the money is good but the job will age ya and summertime is pretty rough.
so supervisor or driver, i was just hoping to get my foot in the door being a package handler parttime and one day getting the chance to be a ups delivery driver. question? what is a starting salary now for a driver.

30 year upser

80 months ago

I beleieve it starts out 21.00 (i am not sure)I do know it will take three years to make top salary which is 28.15 per hour.

art vandalea in sacramento, California

80 months ago

I have a Question. I have been working at ups for 8 months now and am now eligible for health care benefits. I would like to start using them so i can go to the dentist. But I dont know how to get them or used them. Am i suppose to get a health care card? If so where do I get it. Or do i tell the dentist that i work at ups? I need help scott

30 year upser

80 months ago

the best thing to do is go to your local HR. They should be able to help you. or perhaps ask your full time supervisor. I beleive you should have revieved a medical card from either Aetna or Blue Cross. Ask the HR person.

Edmund Fournier in Pensacola, Florida

79 months ago

It's sort of nice to see so may people who are going through the same thing I am. I've been trying for months to get a career started with UPS. It would be a dream come true just to get my foot in the door. I always become so envious when I see those brown trucks cruising around. I don't think I'll ever give up.

UPS= WTF! in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

OMG! I have hungdrywall, painted, general construction. My bosses NEVER talked, treated, or acted the way UPS's does. I should've listened to 99.9% of these posts. NEVER work for UPS. Unless you grew up with parents that either worked for UPS or kept you chained in the basement. Please believe me. I was oneof you. I was so eager to work for a fortune 500 company. It costs UPS 2,700 to train and employ each employee. Wyh wouldn't they pay more, and treat employees better? Think for yourself. You'll get it. And to those that STILL don't get it. Just wait until your 2nd week. Ya know, after the "training". They give you the easiest and best jobs during "training", and make it seem like so much fun. Just you wait. Trailers at 120 degrees. Still taking my sentences with a grain of salt? hahahahahahaha! ok. No problem. It's your life. Proceed with caution!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Trueperfumes in Fayetteville, North Carolina

79 months ago

I am in the same boat. I have a bachelors degree, lots of management experience and $25000 of student loan debt. Yet, I can not find a quality job because I am over qualified or underqualified. I wanted to go back and get my masters degree, but my counselor said I would hurt myself even more by doing it. I have served in the Navy, worked at the Post Office, the US Census Bureau and wal-mart among a few other places and now I struggle to find a quality job. This state is not a good fit or is it everywhere these days. Thank God I have the ability and drive to sell almost anything just to make ends meet. After my children graduate high school in a couple of years I am out of NC for sure. Unless I get a job that is well deserved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

indigorayne in Claremont, California

78 months ago

I applied online and had my tour yesterday, I got the card to come back today and at the end of the interview I got the card to fill out the I-9, direct deposit, W-4 etc. I also noticed that my status had changed from package handler to air hub unloader/loader. Is this a higher rate of pay and I assume I got the job since I had to fill out all those forms online?

30 year upser

78 months ago

yes you definitely got the job. As far as job status, no you wont get a higher rate of pay. Apparently they saw an opening in the air hub and decided to put you in that slot.

78 months ago

thanks!

78 months ago

one last question: i have supervisory experience and when i was in today, she told me i could put my name on the list as early as 30 days in...with part-time supervisors do they tend to work you more hours than slated for normal part-time (since it's salaried)?

78 months ago

And they start everyone at $8.50, yes? No negotiations? I make $10.00 at my current job and don't really care because I'm applying to get promoted as fast as I can and for the great benefits and work out.

CollinAnderson in San Diego, California

74 months ago

Hello 30 year upser, I had a question for you. I applied down here for a part time package handler and had my tour last week. They said they would contact me for an interview. I was curious when i go online it asks me if i'd like to schedule an appointment? I am not sure what i should do, or if i should call them ? thanks again for all the help. I have been reading your posts and been very helpful

Foolish boy in Moreno Valley, California

74 months ago

Aight like i applied fo this place and it said that ma applaction was complete and now i need to do an appointment but there none availabe but it says to walk in on fridays.....but how old do you have to be
cuz im 16 and i've been reading all the comments n sum say 17 or 18.......uh yea a lil help please?!

Sarjahm in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

What a man need in order to get a job as package car driver? I call the terminal to ask about this, and I spoke with a man. Him tell me what experience you got? I say I used to drive big trucks and I'm never crashed, not even get one ticket. But I move here to US and since then, only driving for spring water delivery. But still it pay the bill, but I really want to work for UPS for several years now, only I'm not sure how because this information (how to work as driver, not handler) seems very secret.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Krystalyn in Kennewick, Washington

62 months ago

Well I just applied online but it said no appointments available so does anyone know if that means there not hiring anymore??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

clcson in Verndale, Minnesota

62 months ago

I interviewed at UPS over two weeks ago. I thought the interview went very well, they seemed happy with my past work history and my willingness to work any shift, etc. At the end I asked if they had a card or if there was a number that I could call to follow up, they responded that they watched it very closely and would contact me the end of the next week. I would like to call the HR to follow up and at least confirm the job has been filled, how do I get the number for the local HR office?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser in Missouri

62 months ago

clcson in Verndale, Minnesota said: I interviewed at UPS over two weeks ago. I thought the interview went very well, they seemed happy with my past work history and my willingness to work any shift, etc. At the end I asked if they had a card or if there was a number that I could call to follow up, they responded that they watched it very closely and would contact me the end of the next week. I would like to call the HR to follow up and at least confirm the job has been filled, how do I get the number for the local HR office?

If the interview went well and they seemed happy with you, I would just wait and see what happens. Looks like they should hire you.
The only other thing is, if you know where the ups is located where you will be working from, you could just go there. Good LUck

beachy in herefordshire, United Kingdom

62 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: If the interview went well and they seemed happy with you, I would just wait and see what happens. Looks like they should hire you.
The only other thing is, if you know where the ups is located where you will be working from, you could just go there. Good LUck

Hi i need some help i work for UPS in England have worked for them for 10 years and in November i am relocating to Ohio i want to keep working for UPS. But can not apply for jobs on the sites as in England we do not have Social Sercurity numbers, have contacted UPS HR but keep getting recorded message.
Need some help.
Many thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

beachy in herefordshire, United Kingdom said: Hi i need some help i work for UPS in England have worked for them for 10 years and in November i am relocating to Ohio i want to keep working for UPS. But can not apply for jobs on the sites as in England we do not have Social Sercurity numbers, have contacted UPS HR but keep getting recorded message.
Need some help.
Many thanks

Let me check into this. I know every UPS hub has an HR but they also have a national HR too. I will see if there is a number or address you can write to.

62 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: Let me check into this. I know every UPS hub has an HR but they also have a national HR too. I will see if there is a number or address you can write to.

would be very grateful and many thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: Let me check into this. I know every UPS hub has an HR but they also have a national HR too. I will see if there is a number or address you can write to.

Hi Beachy here just wondering if you have found any thing for me.

Many thanks

Chuck1over in Tampa

62 months ago

Hi i need some help i work for UPS in England have worked for them for 10 years and in November i am relocating to Ohio i want to keep working for UPS. But can not apply for jobs on the sites as in England we do not have Social Sercurity numbers, have contacted UPS HR but keep getting recorded message.
Need some help.
Many thanks

Hey mate, you probably have a better chance finding a job with a us or GB defense contractor or drive a truck OTR. UPS has a indirect good'ol boy network most jobs are dealth with INTERNALLY, even though they're posted on the net. OR, start from the bottom as a package handler and work your way up. I worked in GER for ups for a long time and applied state side as well. Forget it. Unless your a IT C++ God knows certified genius your not going to get a response, no dought, it's a great company once your in.

62 months ago

Hi 30 year upser I am just enquiring if you have found anything for me yet.
Many thanks.

62 months ago

beachy in herefordshire, United Kingdom said: Hi 30 year upser I am just enquiring if you have found anything for me yet.
Many thanks.

Unfortunately I haven't yet, but it could be a problem. First if you are planning to stay in the US you would have to get citizenship unless you have dual citizenship.Most businesses require you to be a citizen.
Also, yes you would need a social security number to apply for a job. I will keep on trying but this could get tricky and lengthy in that there is going to be a lot of paperwork involved.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.