How to get a job at UPS.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 98 of 98)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

danielkuehl in Palm Bay, Florida

99 months ago

30 year upser said: I dont know where you live in Chicago. I do know that they have a Super Hub in that city which means they have hundreds upon hundreds of people working there. I'm sure they have room for one more worker. go to upsjobs.com and follow their lead.--good luck

hey 30yr upser. Daniel from florida. i finally got an interview with ups on the 17 of this month. im a little nervous because im getting married next month and taking and 8day honeymoon. i feel like i finally have my chance to get my foot in the door im just hoping getting married isnt a turnoff to them. im just gonna be up front and let them know i have something planned ahead of time and hope they accept that.
i feel that i could get the job i just hope the understand something like getting married.
what do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser

98 months ago

that is the best thing to do. Be honest. Tell them you definitely want to work for UPS. In fact, I would tell them that because you are getting married you will need a job and you want to work for them. Also tell them that your ambition is to eventually go into supervision or being a delivery driver. (not sure if that was your goal, but if you tell them that, it will show you want stability and a good job since you are now married.)

Good luck

danielkuehl in Palm Bay, Florida

98 months ago

30 year upser said: that is the best thing to do. Be honest. Tell them you definitely want to work for UPS. In fact, I would tell them that because you are getting married you will need a job and you want to work for them. Also tell them that your ambition is to eventually go into supervision or being a delivery driver. (not sure if that was your goal, but if you tell them that, it will show you want stability and a good job since you are now married.)

Good luck

hey thanks for repling back. i dont know if ive mentioned that i do want to transition from my fulltime job now to one day being fulltime with ups. im a roofer now for my parents roofing company and i just dont wanna do it forever. the money is good but the job will age ya and summertime is pretty rough.
so supervisor or driver, i was just hoping to get my foot in the door being a package handler parttime and one day getting the chance to be a ups delivery driver. question? what is a starting salary now for a driver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser

98 months ago

I beleieve it starts out 21.00 (i am not sure)I do know it will take three years to make top salary which is 28.15 per hour.

art vandalea in sacramento, California

98 months ago

I have a Question. I have been working at ups for 8 months now and am now eligible for health care benefits. I would like to start using them so i can go to the dentist. But I dont know how to get them or used them. Am i suppose to get a health care card? If so where do I get it. Or do i tell the dentist that i work at ups? I need help scott

30yearupser

98 months ago

the best thing to do is go to your local HR. They should be able to help you. or perhaps ask your full time supervisor. I beleive you should have revieved a medical card from either Aetna or Blue Cross. Ask the HR person.

edmundfournier in Pensacola, Florida

98 months ago

It's sort of nice to see so may people who are going through the same thing I am. I've been trying for months to get a career started with UPS. It would be a dream come true just to get my foot in the door. I always become so envious when I see those brown trucks cruising around. I don't think I'll ever give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

UPS= WTF! in Denver, Colorado

97 months ago

OMG! I have hungdrywall, painted, general construction. My bosses NEVER talked, treated, or acted the way UPS's does. I should've listened to 99.9% of these posts. NEVER work for UPS. Unless you grew up with parents that either worked for UPS or kept you chained in the basement. Please believe me. I was oneof you. I was so eager to work for a fortune 500 company. It costs UPS 2,700 to train and employ each employee. Wyh wouldn't they pay more, and treat employees better? Think for yourself. You'll get it. And to those that STILL don't get it. Just wait until your 2nd week. Ya know, after the "training". They give you the easiest and best jobs during "training", and make it seem like so much fun. Just you wait. Trailers at 120 degrees. Still taking my sentences with a grain of salt? hahahahahahaha! ok. No problem. It's your life. Proceed with caution!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

trueperfumes in Fayetteville, North Carolina

97 months ago

I am in the same boat. I have a bachelors degree, lots of management experience and $25000 of student loan debt. Yet, I can not find a quality job because I am over qualified or underqualified. I wanted to go back and get my masters degree, but my counselor said I would hurt myself even more by doing it. I have served in the Navy, worked at the Post Office, the US Census Bureau and wal-mart among a few other places and now I struggle to find a quality job. This state is not a good fit or is it everywhere these days. Thank God I have the ability and drive to sell almost anything just to make ends meet. After my children graduate high school in a couple of years I am out of NC for sure. Unless I get a job that is well deserved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

indigorayne in Claremont, California

97 months ago

I applied online and had my tour yesterday, I got the card to come back today and at the end of the interview I got the card to fill out the I-9, direct deposit, W-4 etc. I also noticed that my status had changed from package handler to air hub unloader/loader. Is this a higher rate of pay and I assume I got the job since I had to fill out all those forms online?

30yearupser

97 months ago

yes you definitely got the job. As far as job status, no you wont get a higher rate of pay. Apparently they saw an opening in the air hub and decided to put you in that slot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

97 months ago

thanks!

97 months ago

one last question: i have supervisory experience and when i was in today, she told me i could put my name on the list as early as 30 days in...with part-time supervisors do they tend to work you more hours than slated for normal part-time (since it's salaried)?

97 months ago

And they start everyone at $8.50, yes? No negotiations? I make $10.00 at my current job and don't really care because I'm applying to get promoted as fast as I can and for the great benefits and work out.

collinanderson in San Diego, California

92 months ago

Hello 30 year upser, I had a question for you. I applied down here for a part time package handler and had my tour last week. They said they would contact me for an interview. I was curious when i go online it asks me if i'd like to schedule an appointment? I am not sure what i should do, or if i should call them ? thanks again for all the help. I have been reading your posts and been very helpful

foolishboy in Moreno Valley, California

92 months ago

Aight like i applied fo this place and it said that ma applaction was complete and now i need to do an appointment but there none availabe but it says to walk in on fridays.....but how old do you have to be
cuz im 16 and i've been reading all the comments n sum say 17 or 18.......uh yea a lil help please?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sarjahm in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

What a man need in order to get a job as package car driver? I call the terminal to ask about this, and I spoke with a man. Him tell me what experience you got? I say I used to drive big trucks and I'm never crashed, not even get one ticket. But I move here to US and since then, only driving for spring water delivery. But still it pay the bill, but I really want to work for UPS for several years now, only I'm not sure how because this information (how to work as driver, not handler) seems very secret.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

krystalyn in Kennewick, Washington

81 months ago

Well I just applied online but it said no appointments available so does anyone know if that means there not hiring anymore??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

clcson in Verndale, Minnesota

80 months ago

I interviewed at UPS over two weeks ago. I thought the interview went very well, they seemed happy with my past work history and my willingness to work any shift, etc. At the end I asked if they had a card or if there was a number that I could call to follow up, they responded that they watched it very closely and would contact me the end of the next week. I would like to call the HR to follow up and at least confirm the job has been filled, how do I get the number for the local HR office?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

80 months ago

clcson in Verndale, Minnesota said: I interviewed at UPS over two weeks ago. I thought the interview went very well, they seemed happy with my past work history and my willingness to work any shift, etc. At the end I asked if they had a card or if there was a number that I could call to follow up, they responded that they watched it very closely and would contact me the end of the next week. I would like to call the HR to follow up and at least confirm the job has been filled, how do I get the number for the local HR office?

If the interview went well and they seemed happy with you, I would just wait and see what happens. Looks like they should hire you.
The only other thing is, if you know where the ups is located where you will be working from, you could just go there. Good LUck

beachy in herefordshire, United Kingdom

80 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: If the interview went well and they seemed happy with you, I would just wait and see what happens. Looks like they should hire you.
The only other thing is, if you know where the ups is located where you will be working from, you could just go there. Good LUck

Hi i need some help i work for UPS in England have worked for them for 10 years and in November i am relocating to Ohio i want to keep working for UPS. But can not apply for jobs on the sites as in England we do not have Social Sercurity numbers, have contacted UPS HR but keep getting recorded message.
Need some help.
Many thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

80 months ago

beachy in herefordshire, United Kingdom said: Hi i need some help i work for UPS in England have worked for them for 10 years and in November i am relocating to Ohio i want to keep working for UPS. But can not apply for jobs on the sites as in England we do not have Social Sercurity numbers, have contacted UPS HR but keep getting recorded message.
Need some help.
Many thanks

Let me check into this. I know every UPS hub has an HR but they also have a national HR too. I will see if there is a number or address you can write to.

80 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: Let me check into this. I know every UPS hub has an HR but they also have a national HR too. I will see if there is a number or address you can write to.

would be very grateful and many thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: Let me check into this. I know every UPS hub has an HR but they also have a national HR too. I will see if there is a number or address you can write to.

Hi Beachy here just wondering if you have found any thing for me.

Many thanks

Chuck1over in Tampa

80 months ago

Hi i need some help i work for UPS in England have worked for them for 10 years and in November i am relocating to Ohio i want to keep working for UPS. But can not apply for jobs on the sites as in England we do not have Social Sercurity numbers, have contacted UPS HR but keep getting recorded message.
Need some help.
Many thanks

Hey mate, you probably have a better chance finding a job with a us or GB defense contractor or drive a truck OTR. UPS has a indirect good'ol boy network most jobs are dealth with INTERNALLY, even though they're posted on the net. OR, start from the bottom as a package handler and work your way up. I worked in GER for ups for a long time and applied state side as well. Forget it. Unless your a IT C++ God knows certified genius your not going to get a response, no dought, it's a great company once your in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Hi 30 year upser I am just enquiring if you have found anything for me yet.
Many thanks.

30yearupser in Missouri

80 months ago

beachy in herefordshire, United Kingdom said: Hi 30 year upser I am just enquiring if you have found anything for me yet.
Many thanks.

Unfortunately I haven't yet, but it could be a problem. First if you are planning to stay in the US you would have to get citizenship unless you have dual citizenship.Most businesses require you to be a citizen.
Also, yes you would need a social security number to apply for a job. I will keep on trying but this could get tricky and lengthy in that there is going to be a lot of paperwork involved.

clowng in Wisconsin

77 months ago

Applying for UPS is very easy. Just go to UPS.com, click employment. Easy search engine to use and then apply. Helps if you know someone at the center you want to work at, they can send an email to the HR person that they know you. It is not hard to get a job at UPS. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

0emanel in Minneapolis, Minnesota

72 months ago

hello 3030 upser i was wonderind i had a interview today at ups my status change from package handler to loader unloader do that mean i got the job or when should expect a call back thank u

Pinoy in San Diego, California

70 months ago

I just had a mass job interview in San diego, they told me that they would get back to me for a second interview if i was one of the persons chosen

I have had package handling experience working at fed ex ground for 3 years and familiar with working early mornings, with that job

How are my chances about getting the job and how long before they contact me back again?

Mason in Hempstead, New York

68 months ago

30 year upser said: the fact that your father and friend worked there, you should have a pretty good shot at getting a job there if you use their names as refernce.
A package handler will either load a truck or unload a truck. Both jobs are hard work so I hope you will be physically able to do the job. Most UPS hubs also have a small sort area where you handle small packages. That job is not as taxing as loading or unloading.
Later you could put your name on the bid list and be a sorter which pays a dollar more.

Good luck

I had an interview Monday of this week and was told I was getting a call the next day for a second interview but never did. I told the guy that my brother works there and he had an uhhhhh! Face on and I asked if that was a problem and he said no but I wanted to know if The reason he didn't call me back was because my brother works there? He gave me a piece of paper so I can use him as a referance too so I don't understand-mason

Aidan in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

Mason, maybe you should tell your brother to recommend you to the HR supervisor. Remember you're not the only one who wants the job, so you need to be proactively aggressive to get it. The fact that your brother works there should give you an advantage as a reference.

Eddie in Gastonia, North Carolina

65 months ago

Hi Everyone,

I live right across the street from the UPS Distribution Center here in Gastonia, NC.
I would love to get a PT package handling position on any shift.
I check the UPS site to see if the location is hiring quite a bit and of course it always says it is not.

Do we strictly have to apply online or should I just walk across the street and express my desire to work for UPS ?
I don't know if it helps, but I am a Air Force and Army Vet...I had a wonderful job bending steel years ago until the company was bought out and downsized and it's been tough ever since.

Thanks, Any Tips Are Greatly Appreciated

Eddie

Newtothis in Horn Lake, Mississippi

56 months ago

Ok, my brother just filled out an application online for part time package handler and it instantly gave him a tour for tuesday @three o'clock. He is nervous because he recently stopped using marijuanna though and hes nervous because he applied for fed ex and they did what advice should i give my lil brother because he really is trying to change

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rowmonger in San Francisco, California

53 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: If the interview went well and they seemed happy with you, I would just wait and see what happens. Looks like they should hire you.

Hi Tony, I was a driver helper for the 2011 peak season, about a week after peak I went into the center to drop off my uniform. The HR lady said I was one of the people that stood out and asked if I would like to go for a driver position. About 3 day later I had an interview, drive test and a Physical. My question is are they serious about hiring me? And the interview and ect. was last Friday how long does it take for them to get in contact with me? Any info would be really helpful.

ohbetboom in Surprise, Arizona

45 months ago

So, I applied online for a UPS part time package handler job. I have a tour appointment next week. I'm super stoked that I finally got a chance to actually apply because most of the time the positions are already gone. Also, my grandpa retired through UPS, and he's always told me nothing but good reasons to work there. What are my chances of getting employed? I really want the job because I've read and heard from my friend that also works there, that it's overall a great job to have. Is the job a permanent position? What should I do to get employed? What answers are they looking for? I would just like some advice? What should I wear to the tour? What should I say? Should I mention my grandpa and my friend? Also, I want to go to college so the hours would be great, also looking at trying to become full time.

KARNAL SINGH in Edmonton, Alberta

34 months ago

I"M CURRRENTLY AVALIABLE FOR ANY SHIFF
AND I WOULD LOVE TO BECOME A PART TIME PACKAGE HANDLER OR DELIVERY DRIVER
I HAVE 3 YEAR EXPERIENCE AS DELIVERY DRIVER ,I REALLY WANT START MY CAREER WITH UPS.
AND YES I CAN LIFT 50LBS OR MORE AND YES I CAN PASS A DRUG TEST AND CAN WORK WEEKENDS AND ANY OTHER SHIFF YOU NEED ME TOO. I HAVE BEEN TRYING FROM 6 MONTH TO GET THIS JOB BUT STILL WAITING FOR CALL
THANK YOU

Heather in Scottdale, Georgia

33 months ago

The first place to start is jobs-ups.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Delivery man in Hailsham, United Kingdom

28 months ago

Host said: Do you work at UPS? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Hi I found it very hard to get the interview but I never gave up on my dream but luck paid off for me I got an interview but there was a problem for me which I did not know about I got hair yes a beard ups dont like facial hair what was I to do my girlfriend loves my beard I wanted the job Ill tell you Im still with my girlfriend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelah019 in Flint, Michigan

26 months ago

Hello everyone,

I just recently discovered an opening in my area for a part time package handler. I filled out the job application (or job inquiry I believe?)and it says pending. I'm very confused because I expected to be filling out an actual job application, but from what I read on here it sounds like I need to wait for it to change to 'active' before I do anything else. So is that what I'm suppose to do? If so, then where do I go from there?

A little about myself: I'm a second year college student looking to earn more money. The job description, along with the hours, fit perfectly with my school schedule. I would greatly appreciate all the advice you guys have to offer to help me get this job.

Thank you so much in advance. :)

mettler1 in Hesperia, California

24 months ago

Jake Hailer, Lawrence, IN in Indianapolis, Indiana said: hey kevin i know what your talking about cuz i wasnt hired to type but they make me do it ever day. Even if your smart enouhg to read and write it doent matter to them as long as you can move fast enoug. good luck to you.[/QUOTE

Hi my name is Andrew Mettler. I applied for a couple positions in CA and every time I apply n try scheduleing an appointment it says that their are no appointment time available at this time. Do I have to keep checking online at the applications to see when I can schedule an appointment?And another question are the applications you fill out very small and a couple questions? Or is it like an actual application to where u have.to.put down your work history and such

mettler1 in Hesperia, California

24 months ago

mettler1 in Hesperia, California said:

Will I be contacted when I'm able to schedule an appointment or do I have to keep checking online one the ups career page

ayanna12 in Jackson, Mississippi

19 months ago

30 year upser said: erik--I agree, however an application is simply putting down name rank and serial number which most people should be able to spell out. If they are package handlers, it is ot like they are going to do paper work all day.

30 year UPSer-I recently interviewed for a position. I asked for the interviewer contact information at the end of the interviewer. She replied they will get in contact with me. She then announced that to everybody. I haven't heard anything yet! Furthermore what is a good time to apply? I'm hearing on Sunday. I thought UPS was closed on the weekends. I'm so confused?

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

17 months ago

pa in Pennsylvania said: it is not as hard to get an interview with ups as everyone says u just need to fit there qualifications also if they havent hired anyone in a while you have a good shot i know i did it

What about applying in person. I worked as a seasonal helper with UPS but the position was only until 12/24. I am eligible for rehire. I am interested in a position as Part Time Dockworker and was wondering if I should go in person to the hub that is hiring and inquire about the position?

iavlis in Long Branch, New Jersey

15 months ago

Hey everyone im a truck driver for 3 years, and im wondering if anyone in here know how can i can get hired by ups as truck driver local plz help me ,

DeborahV23 in Temecula, California

8 months ago

I am dedicated to being the best employee I can and I am a loyal and determined person. I need training for this opportunity, I would greatly desire to work for U UPS.
I know that UPS is a top company world wide. I have a Bachelor's degree in Art. I am organized and dedicated. I will excel in whatever function I am appointed to.
I am driven to make my life a success. I am able to carry 50 lbs easily. I am a strong woman physically. I am clean and neat in my home as well as good habits and cleanliness.

Aubrey in Las Vegas, Nevada

7 months ago

I applied at UPS all it asked for was my phone number and my email. I havn't got an email like i do when i apply at other jobs. I a was wondering do i wait for a call or email or should i call in a few days about an interview ?

tc

3 months ago

If you don't get the job, will the status of you're application change online from pre-screening to anything else?

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.