What's the company culture at UPS?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 97 of 97)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Greg in North Providence, Rhode Island

21 months ago

Jizzle in South San Francisco, California said: What exactly is dishonest about UPS? I'm a current p/t supervisor at UPS in the SF Bay Area. You know what you're in for your first day on the job. Yes, management can be a heck of a lot of responsibility and stress but I have never been subject to unethical/illegal/dishonest treatment in my 7 years with the company. If you're a lousy supervisor, UPS will try to make you quit, and rightfully so; you don't belong. If you're a lousy driver /pkg handler/sorter you have nothing to worry about because you're a Teamster and UPS can't fire you. However, the general consensus is that UPS is a lousy place to work and I agree, I've been quitting that place the past 5 years, lol.

Supervisors get yelled at by the boss
.that's their job..they put schedules together. And do some ride alongs while they play on the.phone or try to.teach u a route that takes.10 hours to do in 3 then leave you. It's horrible.money good benefits good
Union also garbage.but medical comes from them.so fine.you can.get.hit while.your parked in a spot.and get warned that if it happy again you're fired
Yet they teach us to park there
.I wouldn't recommend it

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Vint in Lake Worth, Florida

21 months ago

I cant comment on what how each UPS center is run, so I wont. I can only say from my experience, in my building, what I know. So take that with a grain of salt.

Was a preloader for 2 years, jumped (helper) while doing load for 1 of them, part time supervisor for only 4 months. On that note, never move into to management, ever, from the blue collar union. Enjoy your automatic yearly raise, enjoy your free health care, enjoy your safety net from being fired out of nowhere. Loading, and most other labor jobs in the building are really easy if you stay quiet and focused, and you'll be treated fairly.

After a while, I was more or less left to my own devices because I just got the job done, every day. To where my supervisors were demanding me be put onto other belts that had more work because I could do it. I always got to work early, left late, helped out, kept my mouth shut, and I reaped a lot of rewards.

I know it might seem crappy, but its better than management, because you're the whipping posts of everyone in the building. From the hourly employees, Union guys, full time supervisors, and every one else imaginable. Every single problem that ever happens even close to your area is your fault. Missed an irreg? Your fault. Guy show up late or doesnt move fast enough? Your fault. Did you not fill out the 5 daily pieces of paper work because you were trying to salvage your belt? Your fault. You will be blamed for everything, you have no protection from this, and you lose any benefits and all sense of pride in this job by becoming a manager. My building every day is down at least 2 part time supervisors because the job is so difficult. There are days when 1 part time supervisor is running 2 belts at once. To be avoided, ignore all promises of advancement, dont end up getting stuck like me; this is not a fun job.

Reply - Report abuse

Jc in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Names_Not_Important in Coram, New York said: Just to give a little view into the world of full time drivers at UPS. The hardest part in becoming a full time driver driver at UPS is dealing with all the crap they throw at you in order for you to get the 30 days required to get into the union. You will work a few hours here and there so make sure you have money stashed away because you will need it during that process. If you are lucky enough to make your 30 days and get into the union you will need to prepare yourself for battle on a daily basis. It's the job of supervisors to squeeze every stop they can out of you. That's why drivers and management always but heads. So all of the stuff you used to to after work at your previous job, forget that, because there isn't much time left after working 11 and 12 hours a day. A 10 hour day is the standard at UPS and if you work less than that consider yourself lucky. Yes teh benefits are great but nothing is given to you at UPS. We earn everything we get. O ya, forgot to mention, from the day you start working there they start a file on you. It's a file that compiles all the stuff you do wrong so they can fire you. All you are to them is a machine and they will run that machine into the ground. And they preach safety safety safety but over dispatch you everyday. Work safely but hurry up. I know it sounds negative but it's reality.

This is so true.. Ive been there for 5 years, when i started i was on the inside unloading trucks, then i signed a bid to be a regular temp.. Did this for a few months then was not working for about 2 months. Then i told them i wanted to be an air driver.. Did this for 3 months then decided i wanted to go bad to reg temp.. They told me i couldnt do this because I disqualified myself for 2 years when i was never told this.. Now ive been strictly air driving for the past 3 and a half years.. Air driving it so much easier than ground delivery..

Reply - Report abuse

Finally_A_Full_Timer in Walnut Creek, California

14 months ago

I've been a UPSer for 17 yrs. now. They're right--it's nearly impossible to become fulltime these days. Took me 16 yrs. of sweating, bleeding, stressing, hating life at times, etc... But 2 carpal tunnel surgeries, 3 bulged lower lumbar-level discs, countless bumps, bruises, scratches, getting my face split open with a shepherd's hook, and a back surgery (all courtesy of UPS)...along with a dash of sexual harassment (silly little boy asking to touch my ass--I checked him right and proper--and a groping guardshack employee, who was subsequently fired) later and I'm still standing. The job ain't for everyone...I've developed a thick skin at work cuz NOBODY is going to get in the way of my very decent income, EXCELLENT health benefits, 6 paid weeks of vacay, and retiring w/my full pension. I don't load anymore...and I feel for our grunt workers--but I still sweat when performing my job duties. I believe in teamwork and helping out coworkers when they need it. UPS might try to make folks THINK their injuries are their fault...but management as well as the injured KNOW 95% of the time it's just the nature of the job... Upsides and downsides to this job...I've seen ppl RUN for the door on their first day...only the determined, tough, and strong will survive here. It takes a while, but it's all worth it. VERY casual atmosphere...grubbies, sweats, workboots, and iPods. They feed us on occasion, which is nice...and it can be a fun and social place...as long as you can laugh and work at the same time. I'm PROUD to be a UPSer...not too many chicks can handle it for as long as I have.

Reply - Report abuse

Finally_A_Full_Timer in Walnut Creek, California

14 months ago

Names_Not_Important in Coram, New York said: Just to give a little view into the world of full time drivers at UPS. The hardest part in becoming a full time driver driver at UPS is dealing with all the crap they throw at you in order for you to get the 30 days required to get into the union. You will work a few hours here and there so make sure you have money stashed away because you will need it during that process. If you are lucky enough to make your 30 days and get into the union you will need to prepare yourself for battle on a daily basis. It's the job of supervisors to squeeze every stop they can out of you. That's why drivers and management always but heads. So all of the stuff you used to to after work at your previous job, forget that, because there isn't much time left after working 11 and 12 hours a day. A 10 hour day is the standard at UPS and if you work less than that consider yourself lucky. Yes teh benefits are great but nothing is given to you at UPS. We earn everything we get. O ya, forgot to mention, from the day you start working there they start a file on you. It's a file that compiles all the stuff you do wrong so they can fire you. All you are to them is a machine and they will run that machine into the ground. And they preach safety safety safety but over dispatch you everyday. Work safely but hurry up. I know it sounds negative but it's reality.

You're a TEAMSTER baby...theee ONLY ways you can be fired is theft, drugs/alcohol on premises, SUUPER bad attendance, and fighting---the rest your union goes to bat for you and you keep your job.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Leslie Ann in Ruckersville, Virginia

13 months ago

smileyailie in Livonia, Michigan said: No job is worth being abused. Call the National Labor Relations Board.

The NLRB deals with unions,IE strike arbitration, not complaints by individuals. If you have an individual complaint against UPS, you go to your Teamsters local. That's what unions are for!

Reply - Report abuse

Clearlyyoureperfectformanagement in Aurora, Colorado

11 months ago

Noneya! in Sellersburg, Indiana said: E

To whoever went "on to be ALL THAT" cuz sounds like you think you may superior? Dude it's a job for kids.. Don't be on here bragging about how YOUR EXPERIENCE GOT YOU WHERE YOU ARE, omg, you should be embarrassed. The REAL UPS, done left you in vacuum, it sucked all the oxygen from your cloned self. Honey, WHAT BROWN DOES FOR YOU? IS ONLY BECAUSE YOU KNEW OR ARE RELATED TO SOMEONE , ALSO PLEASE GET THAT STINKY BROWN OFF YOUR NOSE!!! Ewww!! That's ugly!! And check yourself? You are nobody special. People in even there crappy culture of the "playground" that's sickening to watch "adults" bully the workers? Did you do that? Because if so? You broke the Law !

You are perfect for UPS management, your level of wise cracks, cruelty and obvious hatred for anyone who has any kind of awakening.. Is clear as day.. Please apply right away.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Coperthwaite in Fair Oaks, California

6 months ago

I can tell you about the late 80's. Management are pretty much aholes. Really didn't mind working hard every day with no breaks or lunch. It's when you come in at 8:00 pm after a 12 hour no lunch/no breaks day and get only negative grief from your supervisor.
Even the computer that checks over every drivers time says it should have taken me over 12 hours in the daily printout.
So, I come in at 8:00pm and get yelled at by my supervisor for taking too long.
He then rides with me the next day (A 8 hr very light load) and he asks" So what's the problem? Why can't you do your route in 8 hrs everyday?" That is their logic. I was thinking of explaining to him...more parcels....more sections...more deliveries mean.... more time.
So after this almost daily abuse I get a "Time study"
This is when a time study expert goes along with you on your route.
He counts your footsteps, has a stop watch, times you at every light and every stop. Counts every package delivered and picked up plus miles driven.
He feeds that into a computer and the computer tells you (Because of growth, more business, more residences, more miles, etc.)if you have gained time on your route.
I gained almost three hours.So those 12 hour days they had been sending me out on, the computer said it should have taken a normal driver almost 15 hours.
So, the years of grief were unwarranted.
I approached my supervisor and confronted him and he said, "I don't give a shUPS."
Other guys would come into the changing/locker room so upset they wanted to murder our supervisor.
Other guys that had been there 18years...hurt their back....let go.
A little positive comment would have gone a long way.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

I can tell you about the late 80's. Management are pretty much aholes. Really didn't mind working hard every day with no breaks or lunch. It's when you come in at 8:00 pm after a 12 hour no lunch/no breaks day and get only negative grief from your supervisor.
Even the computer that checks over every drivers time says it should have taken me over 12 hours in the daily printout.
So, I come in at 8:00pm and get yelled at by my supervisor for taking too long.
He then rides with me the next day (A 8 hr very light load) and he asks" So what's the problem? Why can't you do your route in 8 hrs everyday?" That is their logic. I was thinking of explaining to him...more parcels....more sections...more deliveries mean.... more time.
So after this almost daily abuse I get a "Time study"
This is when a time study expert goes along with you on your route.
He counts your footsteps, has a stop watch, times you at every light and every stop. Counts every package delivered and picked up plus miles driven.
He feeds that into a computer and the computer tells you (Because of growth, more business, more residences, more miles, etc.)if you have gained time on your route.
I gained almost three hours.
So those 12 hour days they had been sending me out on, the computer said it should have taken a normal driver almost 15 hours.
So, the years of grief were unwarranted.
I approached my supervisor and confronted him and he said, "I don't give a shUPS."
Other guys would come into the changing/locker room so upset they wanted to murder our supervisor.
Other guys that had been there 18years...hurt their back....let go.
A little positive comment would have gone a long way.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Clearlyyoureperfectformanagement in Aurora, Colorado said: You are perfect for UPS management, your level of wise cracks, cruelty and obvious hatred for anyone who has any kind of awakening.. Is clear as day.. Please apply right away.

I agree. Sounds like they won't even have to send him to AHOLE college. Thats is where all management goes.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

I will never forget...the little old lady that flagged me down one day.
She was concerned about the sand dollar collection she had been collecting since she was a child.
She had shipped it UPS ground from back East and it hadn't arrived yet.
I kind of winced and almost said. I apologize ma'am. You should just probably forget about it.
Envisioning the box of sand that was now her childhood sand dollar collection.

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

If we can't break em...we won't take em!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Oh yeah. Ten tears with no complaints or accidents.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

I meant TEN YEARS with no complaints or accidents.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

maxflizero71 in New York

4 months ago

I totally agree. I started off as a pre-loader with the intention of becoming a PT supervisor rather quickly as they pretty much were hiring off the street. After being there for a couple weeks I quickly realized that being in the Union was way to go. Luckily I'm coming up on a year with the company and I already was provided a chance to become a PT-Fill-in driver. I'll take that as I I guess I am already ahead of the curve. It's not FT Driver but at least I will be gaining valuable experience to be able to get there quicker possibly.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Nigel in Grand Junction, Colorado

3 months ago

Jay Mac in Albany, New York said: Hard work is good for you. Damn nation of sissys. We are so lazy as a country it is shame.

This quote coming from the type of person who is driving our country so far downhill, guess what moron machines are going to replace all labor jobs eventually so take your stupid redneck mentality and keep it at home. Why don't you bother to read a history book? Maybe take a look at the progress technology is making in replacing YOUR labor job?

I've worked this stupid company for 5 years. Hard work is one thing. Doing the same hard work twice because your boss and their bosses are idiots, now that is a problem. UPS is a caustic company to work for, they do not care about their employees anywhere outside of face value (if even that)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Nigel in Grand Junction, Colorado

3 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at UPS?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at UPS?

Well, for the most part, you do not have a life outside UPS especially if you work there full time. Drivers in the facility I started in often work 12 hour days or longer. Drivers where I am now have the same issue; more work than they have time to spend moneys. Workaholics think this is no problem, sure great if you can deal with the incredible stress your bosses put on you, lifting and moving 150 pounds up a flight of stairs by yourself, generally being a loner because you have no time to date or marry. Even part time this job is way more stress than it is worth. ESPECIALLY so if you are going to school on their nightshift as I was.
The culture? The culture is stress and anger. The culture is being so underpaid that you can't take advantage of your 'awesome' benefits without a second job and so overworked that everything else in your life becomes a huge drag.
Don't work for this company, I swear it is as though the heads of the company try to make life miserable for us just because we are in a union. Anyone who has worked there knows that there are always repairs needed that never get done until it becomes a critical issue or someone gets hurt. Unbelievably horrible job.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

dale in Fallon, Nevada

2 months ago

ive been a ups driver for 25 years im goin for 30 . at least. what sucks now is that our upper management team only cares about thier bonus so they bone us! they fudge numbers or claim emergency conditions on packages that are just left in our building because they dont want to put on the necessary routes to deliver them all . im working 12 - 14 hours a day right now because i have to deliver all my surepost packages to the resident addresses rather than the post office which is ok because where i deliver the post office sends most the packages back. but what stinks is that they wont put on a route to help me and others at all. we need at least 2 more routes in our center and all management does is play the juggle game.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Copperth777 in Placerville, California

2 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at UPS?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at UPS?

UPS management sucks. They are complete as#h&les. If you work there best to look for alternative employment from a better company. Your life and health may depend on it.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

stljps in Mahwah, New Jersey

2 months ago

I've worked at UPS for a long time and will tell you it's a demanding place to work. If you don't want to work hard, look for another job. If you are willing to work hard and have drive, the possibilities are endless. UPS is a company with everything, so you can work towards your area of interest (Operations, HR, Financing, Plant Engineering, Marketing, Sales and the list is endless). Young people today really need to consider UPS for a career. It can provide you with an opportunity to support a family very comfortably. Many people on this site complain, but here's some reality for you. Complainers work at every company out there. There is BS in every job and you need to find ways to deal with it. If you can't find a way to deal with it, then move on. Life is too short to sit around complaining. Do something about it. I've learned in my life that those who complain do so more frequently and louder than those who are satisfied. Take control of your life and move towards your passion. It may or may not be at UPS, but take a look at the length of service UPSers have. 10, 20 and 30 years of service is very common at UPS. Is that because it's such a horrible place to be? Others will respond by saying they suck you in with decent pay and then work you like a dog. Believe what you want, but UPS started in 1907 and employs several hundred thousand people. All I'm saying is if you are looking for a great career opportunity, check out UPS. It may or may not be for you, but what if it was and you had a happy career like I do? How many of your friends love their job and are very passionate about what they do? If you want to be happy you owe it to yourself to explore UPS and many other great companies out there.

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

2 months ago

stljps in Mahwah, New Jersey said: I've worked at UPS for a long time and will tell you it's a demanding place to work. If you don't want to work hard, look for another job. If you are willing to work hard and have drive, the possibilities are endless. UPS is a company with everything, so you can work towards your area of interest (Operations, HR, Financing, Plant Engineering, Marketing, Sales and the list is endless). Young people today really need to consider UPS for a career. It can provide you with an opportunity to support a family very comfortably. Many people on this site complain, but here's some reality for you. Complainers work at every company out there. There is BS in every job and you need to find ways to deal with it. If you can't find a way to deal with it, then move on. Life is too short to sit around complaining. Do something about it. I've learned in my life that those who complain do so more frequently and louder than those who are satisfied. Take control of your life and move towards your passion. It may or may not be at UPS, but take a look at the length of service UPSers have. 10, 20 and 30 years of service is very common at UPS. Is that because it's such a horrible place to be? Others will respond by saying they suck you in with decent pay and then work you like a dog. Believe what you want, but UPS started in 1907 and employs several hundred thousand people. All I'm saying is if you are looking for a great career opportunity, check out UPS. It may or may not be for you, but what if it was and you had a happy career like I do? How many of your friends love their job and are very passionate about what they do? If you want to be happy you owe it to yourself to explore UPS and many other great companies out there.

Who in the company made you write this to try and brainwash people?? The only way to get anywhere with this company is to be a minority..

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

stljps in Mahwah, New Jersey

2 months ago

sorry bud.......white male. Why do you have to be so negative?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Cowpersmithexdriver in Placerville, California

2 months ago

Try to be positive when you are an honest hard worker. You get in after a 12 or 14 hour day to your supervisor.
"Why were you out so late?" "Really busy day." "What do you mean really busy day? Every other driver was back here 2 hours ago. You should have been back sooner!!!!!"
They slam you with work so, you are running all day trying to get finished. No lunch, no breaks. Eat what you can off the dash when you are driving. Now, I love to work hard and I don't really mind not taking any breaks or lunch, running all day up and down flights of stairs carrying heavy boxes. Keeps you in shape! Good exercise! What I do mind is doing an honest days work and getting grief for taking too long. I inherited a route that had a crappy time study. So, when you worked a 12 hour day and the computer says you should have done it in 11.50 hours. You get rations of crap constantly from your supervisor.
So, for three years I am running all day no lunch and no breaks, truck packed so full you have to deliver some of your bulk first so you can get to your other deliveries. Then you re trying to get to your packages all day. Twisting and contorting trying to reach those heavy boxes that are loaded awkwardly.So, forget about bending and stooping, or any other proper lifting procedure. Customers are always asking why you are in such a hurry! So, you don't finish your deliveries by the time you are suppose to make your pick-ups. You pull off your route, make your 30 pick-ups and now your truck is packed full again. Lets say you have 30 stops left, you just drove to the meet up spot to drop off your Next Day air with the one driver who did happen to finish. O.K. Time to finish your deliveries in a packed truck! O.K. I'm still pretty positive up to this point. The next day your supervisor decides to ride with you. You get to your truck and it is practically empty. You start your route when you see all the hard stuff has been takin off. End of part one.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Part two,... So you ride with your supervisor, take both your 15 minute breaks and your 1/2 hour lunch and you walk briskly all day. You get your route done in plenty of time, with all your bulk taken off and only cakey residential stops, you and your supervisor pick up the next day air. From all the other drivers who will be out late tonight because they got all your bulk, pick-ups and hard stops. You get in and your supervisor says, "Well, I don't see why your out late. You have a really easy route." I look back at him and say, "Really? Considering half of it was given to the other drivers today, my truck was 1/2 empty, and I had no pick ups. I would agree with you. What do I do tomorrow when all the other stuff is put back on my package car?" He responds, "Well, I don't know about all that. I just have today to go on." Prick. So, for three years I eat it. Getting crap every day only from my supervisor. The customers love me. Then one day I get to get my time study. Every three years a time study guy rides with you with a stop watch. Counts your odometer readings, counts seconds stopped anywhere, counts your footsteps. So, I walked briskly that day, did everything by the book and GAINED a little over three hours on my route. So the computer that had bee saying I was always late suddenly said I get another three hours on my route. THREE HOURS!!! So, I am still getting my route done late but when I get in at 10:00pm after a 14 hour day the computer says it should have taken me 15 hours to do it. So, my supervisor finally says..."Well, maybe we could take some of your bulk off." Then I hurt my back and they were trying to write me up for anything. He was constantly in my truck looking for that mis loaded package that I didn't deliver. He found it! A Spiegel catalog that got mis loaded and I didn't deliver. He said,"Every package every day!" I said, Really? It was mis loaded so I was suppose to drive 30 miles back to a stop to deliver a catalogue? End of part 2.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Part 3. "Every package every day" he replied. Prick. I got a letter stating I was doing my job incorrectly and "if I continued further disciplinary actions up to and including termination, could be necessary." I just saw a guy who had been a great driver for 19 years, hurt his back. Instead of training him into a management position. They tried to fire him. They were riding with him giving him grief all the time. While he was in intense pain. So, since the doctor had not released me and I was working with an injured back, I sued them. Got a settle meant, and got retrained in another line of work. Didn't mind the stress, didn't mind the hard work. What I didn't like was getting crap all the time after a hard day of busting ass. A small little, "Thanks!" would have gone a long way. I was honest, hard working and wasl given crap. It is counter productive. Who wants to work somewhere when all they give you is crap? Not only me but their were drivers who wanted to kill Dave (the supervisor). I remember talking a driver out of beating him to death. Telling him it wasn't with it. I remember one heavy day day all the drivers were complaining because they had dissolved a truck and divided it among the five drivers in out area. Everyone was complaining that we would be out late and he said, "Hey! Their hiring at McDonalds!" Prick.Try to be positive with all that crap thrown at you. I have worked in construction since then and have never met the creep supervisors that I met at UPS. I hope their Karma gets them good!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Pleas excuse all the grammatical errors.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Pleas excuse all the grammatical errors. So, It was a good thing leaving them. If they would just thank people who work so hard for them, it would go a long way. I know anyone who worked for me who was honest and hard working, I THANKED HIM!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

gp141 in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

2 months ago

Hi everyone,

If you really care about company culture, SymbaSync.com is the job matching platform for you! The platform lets applicants choose from a range of criteria ensuring every job they're shown is one that they will really fit with well.

Sign up today and start discovering opportunities that are out there! SymbaSync.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Imagine what a great company ups could be if they treated their hard working employees with a little respect and dignity. Instead of being forced to by the Teamsters Union.

Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

So yes you can get by and the reason the send new supervisors to ups's "How to be a complete ahole" school is that they get stocks and incentives so.....the harder they drive you...the more they make. My ahole manager sold his soul to buy a house and retire early. Driver's didn't get stock. I don't know about today. I made, in my best year, $42,000 in 1989. It barely qualified me to buy a house selling for 117,900. You have to make a small fortune to afford a house today. $500-750,000. Good thing I went into building and fixing peoples homes. I was fair and honest and made a better living than when I worked at ups. People really appreciated me and I loved the work. I still wasn't in to taking lunch or breaks because I got done sooner but I didn't care if others did. Sometimes I would take a short coffee break. People worked under me and if they were honest hard workers they did great. I sure didn't treat them like crap.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Oh. When is ups "drivers appreciation day?"

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

2 months ago

Cowpersmithexdriver in Placerville, California said: Oh. When is ups "drivers appreciation day?"

Its everyday.. they appreciate you so much that you will be going out with 300 stops tomorrow.. try not to get done by 8pm or you will have to help someone else

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Mike in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Its everyday.. they appreciate you so much that you will be going out with 300 stops tomorrow.. try not to get done by 8pm or you will have to help someone else

Sounds like you have a good route. I actually liked the work, customers were great, route was close to the coast, pay was decent. It was the constant bulls$UPS from management for 10 years that got to me. I will never understand why they had to be such aholes. 300 stops including pick-ups? How many miles? How many packages? What use to be lopsided is when a driver on a caky route would pick up 300 packages....a bag full of envelopes....credited in time....300 packages. The "other driver" has a pick up as well 300 packages....at a pet store....weighing 75lbs each. Takes him a bit to load in.....credited...300 packages.....same time allotment given. That's O.K. great workout you get paid to do but, one guy throws in the bag of envelopes goes home and gets praised by his supervisor. The "other driver" Spends an hour loading in the 300 boxes, really doesn't mind the extra work, comes back feeling good, knows he did a good job. All packages delivered safely, all pick ups done. Next day air packages on the plane, customers happy, no accidents, no injuries, life is good!......gets back late and gets told by his supervisor what a crappy worker he is.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

That accomplishes negative counter productivity when drivers are constantly abused by management. Reminds me of our government. I know I talked one driver out of beating our supervisor to death in the parking lot with a baseball bat. He was ready to do it. He had taken all he was going to take off of dave. He had it all planned. Had been waiting for the right time, had the bat, knew his schedule and I have never seen someone so pissed. I told him that dave wasn't worth it and to think of his family. I walked him out to his car and waited until he left. I wonder how many drivers have killed their supervisors? Another driver management use to love, was this driver that use to drive too fast. One thing I never did was speed. I figured the persons life I could be saving was worth more than a delivery. Always drove the speed limit or less. So, they use to ask me why I couldn't perform like Jim. Until Jim plowed into a car seriously injuring a Mother and her kids. Then, suddenly Jim's praises went silent and he was terminated.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

stljps in Mahwah, New Jersey said: I've worked at UPS for a long time and will tell you it's a demanding place to work. If you don't want to work hard, look for another job. If you are willing to work hard and have drive, the possibilities are endless. UPS is a company with everything, so you can work towards your area of interest (Operations, HR, Financing, Plant Engineering, Marketing, Sales and the list is endless). Young people today really need to consider UPS for a career. It can provide you with an opportunity to support a family very comfortably. Many people on this site complain, but here's some reality for you. Complainers work at every company out there. There is BS in every job and you need to find ways to deal with it. If you can't find a way to deal with it, then move on. Life is too short to sit around complaining. Do something about it. I've learned in my life that those who complain do so more frequently and louder than those who are satisfied. Take control of your life and move towards your passion. It may or may not be at UPS, but take a look at the length of service UPSers have. 10, 20 and 30 years of service is very common at UPS. Is that because it's such a horrible place to be? Others will respond by saying they suck you in with decent pay and then work you like a dog. Believe what you want, but UPS started in 1907 and employs several hundred thousand people. All I'm saying is if you are looking for a great career opportunity, check out UPS. It may or may not be for you, but what if it was and you had a happy career like I do? How many of your friends love their job and are very passionate about what they do? If you want to be happy you owe it to yourself to explore UPS and many other great companies out there.

On what planet? Not here on Earth.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

dale in Fallon, Nevada said: ive been a ups driver for 25 years im goin for 30 . at least. what sucks now is that our upper management team only cares about thier bonus so they bone us! they fudge numbers or claim emergency conditions on packages that are just left in our building because they dont want to put on the necessary routes to deliver them all . im working 12 - 14 hours a day right now because i have to deliver all my surepost packages to the resident addresses rather than the post office which is ok because where i deliver the post office sends most the packages back. but what stinks is that they wont put on a route to help me and others at all. we need at least 2 more routes in our center and all management does is play the juggle game.

No sh#$. Some of the crap management must get away with. I actually liked working there. Great customers, great area until after 10 years of management abuse, and a back injury, I saw a limited future.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Nigel in Grand Junction, Colorado said: Well, for the most part, you do not have a life outside UPS especially if you work there full time . Drivers in the facility I started in often work 12 hour days or longer. Drivers where I am now have the same issue; more work than they have time to spend moneys. Workaholics think this is no problem, sure great if you can deal with the incredible stress your bosses put on you, lifting and moving 150 pounds up a flight of stairs by yourself, generally being a loner because you have no time to date or marry. Even part time this job is way more stress than it is worth. ESPECIALLY so if you are going to school on their nightshift as I was.
The culture? The culture is stress and anger. The culture is being so underpaid that you can't take advantage of your 'awesome' benefits without a second job and so overworked that everything else in your life becomes a huge drag.
Don't work for this company, I swear it is as though the heads of the company try to make life miserable for us just because we are in a union. Anyone who has worked there knows that there are always repairs needed that never get done until it becomes a critical issue or someone gets hurt. Unbelievably horrible job.

Never understood why they have to be such aholes. If you don't mind being abused mentally and can just blow off the constant badgering about what a crappy job you are doing..... how you should apply at McDonalds, or start up a gardening business for a morning pep talk. Or, If you don't mind working 12 hours a day, no lunch and no breaks, running up and down stairs, working as hard as you can because that is who you are, only to return to the center to be told what a crappy worker you are and did you apply at McDonalds? Then... UPS is for you!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Vint in Lake Worth, Florida said: I cant comment on what how each UPS center is run, so I wont. I can only say from my experience, in my building, what I know. So take that with a grain of salt.

Was a preloader for 2 years, jumped ( helper ) while doing load for 1 of them, part time supervisor for only 4 months. On that note, never move into to management, ever, from the blue collar union. Enjoy your automatic yearly raise, enjoy your free health care , enjoy your safety net from being fired out of nowhere. Loading, and most other labor jobs in the building are really easy if you stay quiet and focused, and you'll be treated fairly.

After a while, I was more or less left to my own devices because I just got the job done, every day. To where my supervisors were demanding me be put onto other belts that had more work because I could do it. I always got to work early, left late, helped out, kept my mouth shut, and I reaped a lot of rewards.

I know it might seem crappy, but its better than management, because you're the whipping posts of everyone in the building. From the hourly employees, Union guys, full time supervisors, and every one else imaginable. Every single problem that ever happens even close to your area is your fault. Missed an irreg? Your fault. Guy show up late or doesnt move fast enough? Your fault. Did you not fill out the 5 daily pieces of paper work because you were trying to salvage your belt? Your fault. You will be blamed for everything, you have no protection from this, and you lose any benefits and all sense of pride in this job by becoming a manager. My building every day is down at least 2 part time supervisors because the job is so difficult. There are days when 1 part time supervisor is running 2 belts at once. To be avoided, ignore all promises of advancement, dont end up getting stuck like me; this is not a fun job.

It's the mental bulls$UPS abuse right? They heap it on you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

The job is GREAT! It's the management that sucks!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

If the management were not such creeps it would be a great place to work! I have done all kinds of work in my life and, except working with concrete, ups was the hardest physically. You are running all day. Up and down flights of stairs when you can because the elevator takes too long. The physical work is great, customers are great, then you go back to the center. Management is run by really sick, sadistic people pretending they care. It is like satan took over management there.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

They should have a UPS "Fun and Games day" where all the drivers get to beat their Center managers and his croonie supervisors with wiffle ball bats until the bats breaks or the the managers and supervisors apologize for being such creeps and humble themselves...begging forgiveness.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

slw613 in Brampton, Ontario said: First off, I currently work for UPS CANADA as a driver . Let me tell you about my experience so far.

I started working in peak season, November, roughly 6 months ago I was hired on as a full time driver. peak season is rough, your going out with 180+ stops every day, your package car is cubed the entire way through, there pretty much is no given time limit, some days I was out delivering until 11pm, air (express) is not commited. I struggled on my route for the first 4 weeks. after that all the streets started coming to me, I knew every street and turn, where the street numbers were and where police post up.

you could say learning in peak has turned me into an animal at UPS, more of a machine that can pump out consistent high scores. it is now nearing may, peak season is supposedly over, yet in Canada online shopping has just started to get ever popular and peak season has not died down yet, every package car is going out with 140+ minimum, the only difference is we are now restricted to 10 hours and air is commited.

to this day I am pumping out 160-180 stops a day in under 10 hours, im young, I move fast, work hard, and my safety is questionable, but I get the numbers they so desperately desire.

now that all sounds great, now comes the bullsh*t, here I am pumping out these numbers, im a go to swing driver now. There is no incentive to work hard. I made a mistake in showing them what im capable of, every day the load more and more work on me, extended areas, 3 to 4 different area codes, work under 10 hrs. one day I slowed down, my supervisor called me and freaked out on why I wasn't doing 45+ stops in an hour, I was tired and fatigued, what more can I say. I ended up going over 10 hrs, next day I came in to work only to get sent home for going over.

If you can just ignore them. I let those holes get to me.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Nigel in Grand Junction, Colorado said: This quote coming from the type of person who is driving our country so far downhill, guess what moron machines are going to replace all labor jobs eventually so take your stupid redneck mentality and keep it at home. Why don't you bother to read a history book? Maybe take a look at the progress technology is making in replacing YOUR labor job?

I've worked this stupid company for 5 years. Hard work is one thing. Doing the same hard work twice because your boss and their bosses are idiots, now that is a problem. UPS is a caustic company to work for, they do not care about their employees anywhere outside of face value (if even that)

No sh#$. The machines will replace almost all UPS employee's. Except the fat slimy ones at the top.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Finally_A_Full_Timer in Walnut Creek, California said: You're a TEAMSTER baby...theee ONLY ways you can be fired is theft, drugs/alcohol on premises, SUUPER bad attendance, and fighting---the rest your union goes to bat for you and you keep your job.

You can also get fired by getting into an accident, cheating on your paperwork, padding your miles, telling a customer to blow you, operating your package car incorrectly,(I was trained to ignore the granny first gear. My ahole supervisor wrote me up for that) Not delivering every package every day, jerking off in your truck, getting laid in your truck by the post office girl, forging AOD cards, and a number of other things.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Cowpersmithexdriver in Placerville, California said: You can also get fired by getting into an accident, cheating on your paperwork, padding your miles, telling a customer to blow you, operating your package car incorrectly,(I was trained to ignore the granny first gear. My ahole supervisor wrote me up for that) Not delivering every package every day, jerking off in your truck, getting laid in your truck by the post office girl, forging AOD cards, and a number of other things.

I did one or two maybe three of those things. They couldn't arrest you. Just fire you.
I remember getting in one morning watching a driver being led out in handcuffs. He was keeping his COD cash as a sort of advance. Paying it off every two weeks.
Another driver left his lunchbox with his weed in it by the time clock. So when the supervisor went in to look for some ID.....

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

dale in Fallon, Nevada

1 month ago

my route is pretty good compared to yours cowpersmith, but we badger our upper management team because we have a strong union rep who knows the contract like a wise minister with his bible. doesnt change the fact that management tries everything to belittle you. i was badgered to get off the nine five list and told my union rep and they had it out. i was on the list until lately when management made a deal with me. they havent gone back on the deal yet, but because of the surepost being returned by the post office (which violates the agreement they made with ups) i now have a bigger route. im glad i have only 5 pickup stops on my route and im too far out to make service on any of it.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

dale in Fallon, Nevada

1 month ago

the super that your friend wanted to kill (dave) . did his last name start with a W? if so that guy was a prick from hell . same guy that tryed to get me off the list . he retired a few years ago . if its the same guy .

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.