URS Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at URS?

What do you like best about working at URS? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Worcester, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

average starting salary for a wetland ecologist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Rooker in Birmingham, Alabama

89 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at URS?

What do you like best about working at URS? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Does anyone know the starting salaries for GIS Techs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

squirrel72 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

88 months ago

Rooker in Birmingham, Alabama said: Does anyone know the starting salaries for GIS Techs?

No, I have applied in Milwaukee and heard nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Trae in Pitts, Georgia

88 months ago

Salaries are can be competitive depending on your office manager. Don't be suprised to find out that the URS office down the road is paying $15,000 to $20,000 more per year than your office. URS doesn't offer any bonuses. If fact, the 401k plan is horrible! They match %50 of your 4% max contribution but the match doesn't take effect until January of the following year. So if you leave before January of the following year, URS won't contribute their match. URS is run by accountants and their primary concern is profits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ndbeasle in Mesa, Arizona

88 months ago

What else can you tell me about URS benefits? We just got purchased. How long ago did you work for them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Trae in Gonzales, Louisiana

88 months ago

ndbeasle in Mesa, Arizona said: What else can you tell me about URS benefits? We just got purchased. How long ago did you work for them?

Just recently left! You might want to start looking elsewhere! Medical/Dental benefits are well below average for such a large corporation. They have a stock option plan but since they bought your company they have acquired 37% debt, so stock prices will probably start to drop. Value was climbing because of low debt ratio. Your raise, regardless of performance, will be just above the rate of inflation and goes into effect in January, performance reviews in September. With URS, you are nothing more than the clock number on your timesheet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roller in Bellevue, Washington

88 months ago

What else can you tell about URS? Is there any positive about URS?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Trae in Gonzales, Louisiana

88 months ago

About the only positives that I experienced were that they provide lots of training! I probably sent two-three months total per year involved in some type of training.

Another positive is the ability to network special skills from within the organization. There are quite a few highly skilled individuals that wouldn't survive smaller companies.

Every office is unique so I can't speak for each one. Although URS is a corporation there is nothing within that prevents offices from competing against each other. Don't be suprised to compete against other offices for the same work.

Personally, I think the negatives outweigh the positives which is why I left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ndbeasle in Mesa, Arizona

88 months ago

Great. I came here two months ago for the benefits and now URS is going to take all of that away. I should have taken the extra money CH2M HILL offered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Castro Valley, California

88 months ago

don't be lead astray by one disgruntled employee. i hear it is a great place to work - world wide company with excellent benefits and room to grow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Trae in Prairieville, Louisiana

88 months ago

Far from the truth. Yes, it is world-wide but those opportunities are very limited. But there is little room for growth because of bottle-necking caused by middle management and about 750 "vice presidents".

Those are the actual benefits that URS will offer you. Take it or leave it, but there are far better benefits from smaller companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

roda in Miami, FL in Paramus, New Jersey

86 months ago

Don't waste your time applying at the Miami office. They only hire their friends and relatives, and the salaries are the worst I've ever seen -- except for a small group of people who get everything (nepotism).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

KLM in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

I had a phone interview for management position in Texas, the recruiter told me it would take the hiring manager 3 weeks to contact me. I asked the recruiter the salary range for the position, it was almost 20k less than my salary. So, I told them to take my name out of consideration...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

HerrHepcat in Sacramento, California

83 months ago

I think people need a better understanding of the consulting industry.

Generally, benefits aren't great in the consulting industry. Our stock purchase program isn't worth it, the 401k match is low, we get few holidays and sick days. Welcome to the real world of consulting. You'll find it to be similar at other consulting companies. Just walk into a law office and ask them.

Yes, offices compete. But they also work together pretty often. Even the culture of an office can vary from office to office. Our Oakland office (which I've spent a fair amount of time at), has a culture much like a previous company I worked for, some aspects of which I didn't like, and those are not present here at the Sacramento office, which I appreciate. It doesn't surprise me that there are offices out there that have a culture that clashes with certain people, but don't think that one office is representative of the entire company.

So why in the world would someone want to work in the consulting industry?

Pay for one.

Consulting companies look to hire people at about 1/3 of what they can bill them out for on contracts. If you convince them to bill you out at $90.00 an hour, welcome to a quick $30.00 / hr job. Easy negotiation. Personally, I am pretty specialized, but have a lot of work, so I have negotiated a farly large salary. Last year I asked for a 10% raise and got it. The consulting business has a lot of money, and if you are worth it, and you ask for it, they will give you some. Remember, the people in this industry tend to be good negotiators. You have to be good and aggressive to get paid well. KLM above me there? You're response was poor negotiation. They probably have the money to pay you as long as you provide the value.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HerrHepcat in Sacramento, California

83 months ago

Flexible Schedule

If you are billing your hours to projects and keeping clients happy, nobody really cares when you are working. I tend to work from home about 1/4 of the time, take any days off I please. (If I don't have vacation or sick time left, I am welcome to take time off without pay).

Variety of work

Working in the consulting industry provides you with an opportunity to invlve yourself in a number of different projects, where you can learn all kinds of interesting things. With other industries you are often pigeon holed.

Growth Opportunities

Each of the offices work like their own small company, but with top leaders in the industry. We have a marketing department, proposals, management heirarchy, HR, etc. Each of these departments will take you in for some time, and you can learn what they do and how they do it. You just have to ask. Do well there, and you may likely move. Are they going to just hand you more money if you are doing a job that is worth more than your last one? NO!!! You have to ask for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mrhouston in Houston, Texas

80 months ago

I would be willing to bet that the previous commentor is a "golden boy" in URS...
Dont belive a word....this company is bad news.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sally Brown in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

URS offices are like small companies and ran that way. The office manager has the ability to offer bonuses and adjust your salary at any time. The only time you will get more money is by asking for it, or treaten to leave. But that will only work if your really great at your job. The politics at each office is totally crazy. If your not in, your OUT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BeetleJuice in Texarkana, Texas

20 months ago

KLM in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I had a phone interview for management position in Texas, the recruiter told me it would take the hiring manager 3 weeks to contact me. I asked the recruiter the salary range for the position, it was almost 20k less than my salary. So, I told them to take my name out of consideration...

Probably 20K less would wash for the taxes and cost of living differences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BSEEStudent

20 months ago

My experience at URS hasn't been awful. Some of the points other commentors have made are true where I am, but I think a lot of what you find at URS happens elsewhere. I have worked for small companies as well as bigger corporations. I am not a URS 'golden boy' so any positive views I have are my own. I have applied for tuition reimbursement and been denied twice already while I still have three semesters remaining.

With that said, despite the drama in some of the offices, the nepotism and the number of managers URS throws at a contract, I have it pretty good. My pay is not where I would like it, but for what I do presently, it is fair. My medical, dental and vision benefits aren't cheap but they are about what I have paid at other jobs. I get 15 days (120 hours) of PTO a year with an option to purchase another 40 hours. It is used for vacation, personal and sick days. They match up to 5% of my 401(k) contribution and you are 100% vested as soon as you are hired with the only downside, as was mentioned, of forfeiting their contribution for the year if you leave prior to Dec 31.

Are there better places to work? Yes. Are there much worse places? For sure. When I finish my BSEE I will be looking at URS for potential employment as an electrical engineer, but I will also be looking at other companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

URS WannaB in Taos, New Mexico

10 months ago

URS employees are being transferred from Utah to fill positions at the new chemical depository in Pueblo Colorado. The new plant was opened with the promise to hire local labor from Pueblo. I have been applying for over a year and have not had one interview.

Can anyone please tell me what is going on there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

URS Needs to Wake UP in Taos, New Mexico

10 months ago

Congressman and Senators

You and others have worked hard for the state of Colorado to bring jobs to our communities. I have to tell you what is really going on. The jobs that are coming to Colorado and with them they bring their employees.

The chemical depot in Pueblo has several companies working on site. These companies have many job openings. This all appears to be great for the community. They post ads to hire from the local community and then they transfer people in from other states to fill these positions. Even the most simple labor positions are going to person from out of state.

How is this beneficial to the community and the taxpayers when all the jobs are given to people from out of state?

With every passing month of applying for these jobs myself and others get more angry. I am going to keep pressing this subject till we the People of Pueblo Colorado get answers.

Can you please tell me what is going on?

Thank you,

XXXXX XXXXXX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.