Christmas Eve

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Maro IRU 18

86 months ago

I have been working at USAA for one year now, and I was informed we have to work on Christmas Eve. Really, someone tell me what the point of that is. There are no claims out there that can't wait until after the holiday. I don't want to sound mean, but that is one day when our members needs just need to put on hold for the sake of USAA employee family time. I do not plan on working my full 10 hour shift that day, so I do hope they plan on letting us go early. Hopefully Bob Davis comes to his sense on this one!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Howard Gennaro in Peoria, Arizona

86 months ago

Maro IRU 18 said: I have been working at USAA for one year now, and I was informed we have to work on Christmas Eve. Really, someone tell me what the point of that is. There are no claims out there that can't wait until after the holiday. I don't want to sound mean, but that is one day when our members needs just need to put on hold for the sake of USAA employee family time. I do not plan on working my full 10 hour shift that day, so I do hope they plan on letting us go early. Hopefully Bob Davis comes to his sense on this one!

x

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Place is Crazy in Surprise, Arizona

86 months ago

Maro IRU 18 said: I have been working at USAA for one year now, and I was informed we have to work on Christmas Eve. Really, someone tell me what the point of that is. There are no claims out there that can't wait until after the holiday. I don't want to sound mean, but that is one day when our members needs just need to put on hold for the sake of USAA employee family time. I do not plan on working my full 10 hour shift that day, so I do hope they plan on letting us go early. Hopefully Bob Davis comes to his sense on this one!

xx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mzdawn in chesapeake, Virginia

86 months ago

I worked for USAA for five years at the MARO office in Norfolk VA, policy service.

You typically end up working your whole shift. They 1st let go people who are on the wait list that day to get a day off. Then they start letting other people go.

The office has never been closed on christmas eve in the five years I worked there and closing early only an hour or two before normal closing hours.

Bob Davis will not change that. USAA has gone down the tubes as an employer and I can't recommend it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jess bacon in Tampa, Florida

84 months ago

we have members still fighting a war on christmas eve and you just recieved an extra pay check as a christmas bonus. Shut up and do your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

mzdawn in chesapeake, Virginia said: I worked for USAA for five years at the MARO office in Norfolk VA, policy service.

You typically end up working your whole shift. They 1st let go people who are on the wait list that day to get a day off. Then they start letting other people go.

The office has never been closed on christmas eve in the five years I worked there and closing early only an hour or two before normal closing hours.

Bob Davis will not change that. USAA has gone down the tubes as an employer and I can't recommend it.

USAA is a wonderful place to work if you are flexible and can keep up with the changes. It is hard work sometimes but if it wasn't they wouldn't need to pay us. USAA is #1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

I won't, I work really hard. Do you even work for USAA? I don't even think you know what you are talking about to suggest that I will lose my job. Again, I won't, don't worry. USAA has the best members ever and it is my job to make sure they are taken care of. Sorry if that's hard for you to understand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

current employee in SA in San Antonio, Texas

84 months ago

jess bacon in Tampa, Florida said: we have members still fighting a war on christmas eve and you just recieved an extra pay check as a christmas bonus. Shut up and do your job.

We don't have soldiers from Iraq calling auto claims on Christmas Eve. I would be suprised if you work in any of the call centers. Our soldiers don't have a lot of time to waste on the phone and calling us is usually low on their priority list on Christmas Eve.

We made many things available on usaa.com for a reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Seattle, Washington

84 months ago

Your delusional, you go on with your bad self and World Class Customer Service and live that mission, soldier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

George in Seattle, Washington

84 months ago

Uuuh yea, I am an Property Claims Adjuster Pacific Coast Manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

um, they still have family over here that could get into an accident or have something happen at home. We just have a difference of opinion. I just don't know why you still work there if you dislike it so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rosepuddin

84 months ago

jess bacon in Tampa, Florida said: um, they still have family over here that could get into an accident or have something happen at home. We just have a difference of opinion. I just don't know why you still work there if you dislike it so much.

Jess, Christmas Eve is time for family if you are Christian. Family should come above all. Yes, Members too are important, but just because you are military doesnt make you godlike. What about the police, firefighters, those here at home who work? I bet ANY soldier, policeman, firefighters, hospital worker, those who HAVE to work, would disagree and simple say, "Yes, I would love to have Christmas Eve off".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joanie06 in Chesapeake, Virginia

84 months ago

Rosepuddin said: Jess, Christmas Eve is time for family if you are Christian. Family should come above all. Yes, Members too are important, but just because you are military doesnt make you godlike. What about the police, firefighters, those here at home who work? I bet ANY soldier, policeman, firefighters, hospital worker, those who HAVE to work, would disagree and simple say, "Yes, I would love to have Christmas Eve off".

I worked for USAA for a number of years and now work for another insurance company. We get the day after Thanksgiving off AND Christmas Eve off AND MLK off. You can have your "floating holidays". My current company seems more employee centric than member centric. My belief is that if you take care of your employees first, they will in turn take care of the members.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Are Jay in Canton, Ohio

84 months ago

Plenty of people work Christmas. Pilots, flight attendants, cashiers, bus drivers, news people, etc, etc. I'd love to have Christmas off, but that just doesn't always happen.

That being said, you have an excellent point. Your job IS one that can afford one day off to spend with family. It's sad that your CEO doesn't see it that way. Very sad indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maro IRU 18

84 months ago

Joanie, I would like to know who you work for!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maro IRU 18

84 months ago

Rosepuddin, I agree with you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Drachedame in San Antonio, Texas

84 months ago

My dear Jess - I hope for your sake that you do not get laid off. I do not wish it on anyone.
But at USAA - working hard and making your numbers has nothing to do with it. I did all of that and guess what - they ax still fell. While I agree with you that it is important to have some coverage on Christmas Eve, I found that most of the time the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas week, and New Years eve was more a time of trying to stay busy because we had no calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joanie06 in Chesapeake, Virginia

84 months ago

Drachedame in San Antonio, Texas said: My dear Jess - I hope for your sake that you do not get laid off. I do not wish it on anyone.
But at USAA - working hard and making your numbers has nothing to do with it. I did all of that and guess what - they ax still fell. While I agree with you that it is important to have some coverage on Christmas Eve, I found that most of the time the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas week, and New Years eve was more a time of trying to stay busy because we had no calls.

To add to Drachedame's comments, I can recall times when I tried working my pending on those days (day after Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, etc...) by calling insureds and claimants and the last thing they wanted to do was talk about their accident or injury. Plus, do you think providers, attorney's offices, body shops or other insurance companies are even open?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MARO Employee in Hayes, Virginia

84 months ago

MARO IRU. I hope your new Director doesn't notice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

I still don't see the big deal. If it's slow they send people home. I have been sent home b/c it was so slow. And if the last week's volume of calls is any indication we will have plenty of work to do. You can always request the time off and if you have enough seniority you will get it. I am a newbie and don't mind. I was smart enough to schedule it for next year though. I will be spending time with my family too. Merry Christmas everyone.

technomad in Mesa, Arizona

82 months ago

I'm someone who has no problem working Christmas Eve or any other holiday for that matter. But I wish I got OT pay for it. Its nice and quiet and I get very few calls. So I can actually do my job and catch up(which never really happens). I've worked jobs that were open every day and I've worked every holiday at some point. To me, its not a deal breaker nor does it make USAA evil. I do think its a waste of money though. I doubt anyone in policy service gets many calls those days. Those days could really be run with a skeleton crew. I'm sure enough people would volunteer.

MsCarrie75 in Norfolk, Virginia

81 months ago

Call center life is just that. It's a headset hell and it's usually 24/7. At least USAA closes! GEICO is 24/7. I did 5 years at GEICO and one of the perks was having the seniority of getting chosen to work the holidays. I know, it's a reverse look at it, but when I can make time and a half to basically do nothing and then use that to provide Christmas for my child - well, I tell you, I signed up for every holiday possible. Even Thanksgiving. The turkey will be there the next day and usually family from out of town visits for longer than just that one day. :-) I remember they'd post a list of the 'winners' 'cause everyone wanted the loot.

But, when you're single and gotta do what you gotta do, then you do it happily. Now I work for a different company and we are closed on those days.... darn it! I'd love the chance to make that time and a half again since we get NO overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Johnna Calverase in Jyderup, Denmark

74 months ago

If you dont like it work someplace else.

I cant remember the last time a fireman, policeman or whatever worked thousands of miles away from home and was shot at and bombed EVERYDAY to include holidays.

Do you know what Christmas is like in a war zone fiver years in a row? Your customers sure do. I do...my brother does as does all the others who are overseas in the wars of Afghanistan and Iraq. Dont whine about family to us as we have given time and time again.

Stop whining or work elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rug00 Miltr in Norfolk, Virginia

73 months ago

joanie06 in Chesapeake, Virginia said: To add to Drachedame's comments, I can recall times when I tried working my pending on those days (day after Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, etc...) by calling insureds and claimants and the last thing they wanted to do was talk about their accident or injury. Plus, do you think providers, attorney's offices, body shops or other insurance companies are even open?

I bet $100 she works for CHUBB & SON.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rug00 Miltr in Norfolk, Virginia

73 months ago

How are the claims jobs in Norfolk. Is there alot of atrition? Are pople quitting &/or getting fired? Is it hard to get holiday & vacation time off? This sounds like a bad place to work......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MrAZ in Anytown, Arizona

71 months ago

Johnna Calverase in Jyderup, Denmark said: If you dont like it work someplace else.

I cant remember the last time a fireman, policeman or whatever worked thousands of miles away from home and was shot at and bombed EVERYDAY to include holidays.

Do you know what Christmas is like in a war zone fiver years in a row? Your customers sure do. I do...my brother does as does all the others who are overseas in the wars of Afghanistan and Iraq. Dont whine about family to us as we have given time and time again.

Stop whining or work elsewhere.

There are not any people in Iraq/Afghanistan been there "5 years in a row" they rotated home between. And let's get it stratight--USAA IS NOT THE MILITARY! It is a call center selling insurance and banking. Other than a few employees there for emergency, they could easily close early on Christmas Eve if they liked. And on the other holidays.

During my year there I did volunteer for the double-time holidays as if you are going to have to work anyways you might as well have gotten paid for it. But there was little reason to be there. The service they gave the members was as bad then as any other day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.