FMLA and USAA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Naive & New in Colorado Springs, Colorado

77 months ago

Has anyone filed FMLA and suffered backlash because of it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Watching the Dog N Pony Show in San Antonio, Texas

77 months ago

why yes - read comments under the culture forum - past few days. i am looking for any former or current mgr to confirm this is a common practice before layoffs or just to speed up 'attrition'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lee Marvin in Virginia Beach, Virginia

76 months ago

Watching the Dog N Pony Show in San Antonio, Texas said: why yes - read comments under the culture forum - past few days. i am looking for any former or current mgr to confirm this is a common practice before layoffs or just to speed up 'attrition'

I have seen people go on FMLA and their lives made miserable by USAA and they are forced out either because they nit pick making life so unbearable they quit or don't promote you making it a dead end job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

13 years down the drain in Suffolk, Virginia

61 months ago

lee Marvin in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I have seen people go on FMLA and their lives made miserable by USAA and they are forced out either because they nit pick making life so unbearable they quit or don't promote you making it a dead end job.

I have to admit, I used FMLA almost as frequently as I was legally able to. During my 13 years at USAA, I had a miscarriage, a birth, an appendectomy, a bout with cancer, a bout with depression and anxiety, lost at least 5 family members (4 within 18 months, hence the depression,) triple hernia repair, ankle surgery and pacemaker replacement. All of which required at least some FMLA.

I overheard one manager tell another that someone (not me) was a great employee, but was just too sick to work for USAA. When I found out about my cancer diagnosis, I was at work. I was in a leadership position, though not a manager, and I felt it was important to let the team I worked with know that I was not my usual, perky-self (had to have been the meds!) because of the diagnosis. I was later told it was a HIPPA violation and that I shouldn't have to have told them anything because I wasn't ALLOWED to show emotions at work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

oh, I forgot to mention I was FIRED after the last round of FMLA 'cause I didn't know when I was going to be released to return to work. I'm sure there are some who would say I abused the system, but every time I used it, I had legitimate diagnoses and was under doctor or counselor supervision.

The last time, though, I was denied disability and as soon as it was denied, I was axed. I've recently reviewed some of the documents from Liberty mutual who handles the FMLA program and disability benefits and I came across a consultation form that they (Liberty Mutual) had a 3rd party doctor complete. The doctor stated that I had "significant medical issues" and that they, coupled with my depressive and anxiety issues would cause "significant barriers in functioning." Which is what my doc had said. But somehow, they were able to deny my disability coverage, short-term which meant no long-term either which meant no continued benefits, like LIFE insurance. God knows USAA doesn't want to insure me with all of my health issues and I can't get coverage that I can afford from anyone else.

Do I sound bitter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AZemployee in Glendale, Arizona

61 months ago

I was put on corrective action once I filed. After 5 years there, I was told I no longer knew how to do my job. Went out 1 week for surgery, came back and was put on final written notice. Was told after Christmas that I had just days left so I took all but one day I had left of FMLA, making sure I wouldn't run out. Upon my return, I was told to go into a campsite and was forced to write my letter of resignation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

AZemployee in Glendale, Arizona said: I was put on corrective action once I filed. After 5 years there, I was told I no longer knew how to do my job. Went out 1 week for surgery, came back and was put on final written notice. Was told after Christmas that I had just days left so I took all but one day I had left of FMLA, making sure I wouldn't run out. Upon my return, I was told to go into a campsite and was forced to write my letter of resignation.

Wow! I thought they were bad in Norfolk! Does anyone get the feeling that USAA's disability premium may increase a bit with each FMLA case that is filed and instead of negotiating a new contract, they get rid of the "offending" employees? Maybe they get to say, "It won't happen again" because the employee is no longer there?

By the way, what is a "campsite" as it relates to USAA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.