Getting hired help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Marcella211 in Land O Lakes, Florida

54 months ago

I have applied to numerous positions with USAA and always got the "we are sorry to inform you...". Finally I got an email to complete the assement, which I did and then another email for a phone interview! Unfortunately it did not go any farther that the phone interview. I emailed the recruiter to ask for the future if I did anything wrong or what I could improve...she did not respond. I continue to apply and continue to get turned down. I have a college degree and all the qualifications they ask for...why am I not even getting past sending my application?! My husband just got hired there and I aswell know a couple other people that work for the company. I would love to work there! I have recently revised my resume in hopes that a change may look better for me...

Any advice for me? Has anyone been turned down for a position then applied for others and got the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas

54 months ago

Marcella211 in Land O Lakes, Florida said: I have applied to numerous positions with USAA and always got the "we are sorry to inform you...". Finally I got an email to complete the assement, which I did and then another email for a phone interview! Unfortunately it did not go any farther that the phone interview. I emailed the recruiter to ask for the future if I did anything wrong or what I could improve...she did not respond. I continue to apply and continue to get turned down. I have a college degree and all the qualifications they ask for...why am I not even getting past sending my application?! My husband just got hired there and I aswell know a couple other people that work for the company. I would love to work there! I have recently revised my resume in hopes that a change may look better for me...

Any advice for me? Has anyone been turned down for a position then applied for others and got the job?

I have been there coming on 8 years. I say read the posts and on jobvent.com and run as far from USAA as you can. All of the posts on this site are true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Thank you, yes I have read all of the negative but aswell have heard great things. I was just looking to see if anyone was familiar with this situation and could give advice...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Marcella211 in Land O Lakes, Florida said: Thank you, yes I have read all of the negative but aswell have heard great things. I was just looking to see if anyone was familiar with this situation and could give advice...

Just apply again. I got turned down the first time I interviewed in person. A couple of months later I was hired for another position with a resume change.

kapusta in Tampa, Florida

54 months ago

Your turn-down depends upon the type of job you applied for. Because many of the jobs are on the phone, it may have boiled down to: you may not have a good phone voice, phone presence, etc.
At the same time that you are being assessed regarding the content of your answers, the interviewer is taking advantage of that distraction to assess your true: ability to think on your feet, speed of answers, grammar, "ax" vs. "ask", etc.

You may also have had borderline "scores" re resume and assessment test, and the phone interview was your chance to knock it out of the park, but you were mediocre on that too, for the last position you applied.

And sometimes I think that (in short) your resume, test scores, and/or phone interview may show that you're just too "smart" to remain happy, docile, etc there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Yes unfortunately I was just getting off of a cold so my voice didnt sound like it normally does and I think that may have been the reason. Since then I have applied to other positions(with an employee referral) and have not even got so much as a response. I just wanted to make sure that even if I may have not had one good interview that I could still get others and possibly be considered for a position there.

Tessa K in Phoenix, Arizona

54 months ago

Do not give up Marcella, as I am sure you know in todays job market they are getting hundreds of applicants for every position they are opening up. Keep going and they will see by your persistance that this is a job you are truely interested in after the person who was hired instead of you quits after they get their licenses (as happens to often in these kinds of jobs).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amit Chandola in Land O' Lakes, Florida

28 months ago

Human resources check people for honesty and in fact they are the one who are dishonest and obscure with their approach. I have worked in 6 companies in my life and every time I was asked "will you move if you get better opportunity tomorrow?" and I always replied YES!! and will keep on replying that. I don't understand why HR want to listen lie from people.

sjk2317@msn.com in Phoenix, Arizona

26 months ago

I interviewed for a job and thought all was well.I was told to call and check out the benefits if I wanted. So I did and after that call I never heard a thing back. I see how things work there ,first of all they hire the vets first and then their buddies. Even the ones who have no experience and I have 30 plus years in my field.It is really to bad that they hire this way because they really miss the real and devoted employee that they are looking for. I wanted to work here really bad and my whole family is or are retired military. Go fih=gure if you don't have any pull or know someone you really are wasting your time.My cousin who has been in the service for 30 plus years told me you will waste your time they will always hire vets over you no matter what! So sad that getting a job comes down to that.I see that they gave and all but I deserve a job just like them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

sjk2317@msn.com in Phoenix, Arizona said: I interviewed for a job and thought all was well.I was told to call and check out the benefits if I wanted. So I did and after that call I never heard a thing back. I see how things work there ,first of all they hire the vets first and then their buddies. Even the ones who have no experience and I have 30 plus years in my field.It is really to bad that they hire this way because they really miss the real and devoted employee that they are looking for. I wanted to work here really bad and my whole family is or are retired military. Go fih=gure if you don't have any pull or know someone you really are wasting your time.My cousin who has been in the service for 30 plus years told me you will waste your time they will always hire vets over you no matter what! So sad that getting a job comes down to that.I see that they gave and all but I deserve a job just like them.

I have no military background at all and I was hired. Your problem may be that you are overqualified. They like to start paying at the base salary instead of paying for experience. It took me two times to apply before I was hired but I did start at the minimum salary.

HonestOne in Boerne, Texas

26 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: I have no military background at all and I was hired. Your problem may be that you are overqualified. They like to start paying at the base salary instead of paying for experience. It took me two times to apply before I was hired but I did start at the minimum salary.

I agree with "stressed out". The military background is just a tiebreaker, all else considered. While I worked at USAA, I calculated that veterans are only about 15% of the work force. I knew about 20 managers, directors, AVPs etc...NONE were former military. Of 12 people on my team, I was the only vet. In fact, military doesn't help except for entry level (minimum salary) jobs. USAA values past corporate experience more than anything anyone did in the military. If you are a casual observer, it may appear different since the CEO is a retired general officer...but other than the Military Affairs department and the Junior Officer Development program, there is not that many military in any position of importance. If you want to work there, keep trying. By the way, to get a clearer picture, tell us what job you were interviewing for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Educated Veteran in San Antonio, Texas

19 months ago

sjk2317@msn.com in Phoenix, Arizona said: I interviewed for a job and thought all was well.I was told to call and check out the benefits if I wanted. So I did and after that call I never heard a thing back. I see how things work there ,first of all they hire the vets first and then their buddies. Even the ones who have no experience and I have 30 plus years in my field.It is really to bad that they hire this way because they really miss the real and devoted employee that they are looking for. I wanted to work here really bad and my whole family is or are retired military. Go fih=gure if you don't have any pull or know someone you really are wasting your time.My cousin who has been in the service for 30 plus years told me you will waste your time they will always hire vets over you no matter what! So sad that getting a job comes down to that.I see that they gave and all but I deserve a job just like them.

Well I feel bad for your situation but to help you cope with it better they work for the veterans and military that is why they are so successful. I applied for a position about a month ago and 2 weeks later I went through the first 2 interviews. Just this past week I went up to their main campus for the final interview. If you overdress (as in wearing a suit/professional wear), speak professionally, carry yourself with confidence, honesty act excited for the opportunity to be there then you have a shot. They want educated, experienced, individuals, not people looking for handouts or just plain crybabies. They expect excellence and look for the best within the candidate pool. They have great benefits and of course expect you to earn them. You can have 30 years of experience but they're not going to hire someone just so they can retire in 5 years. They want younger educated/experienced individuals that they can invest in and mold into superior performers. Good Luck though!

Stressed Seeker in Phoenix, Arizona

18 months ago

I too applied several times to USAA went through two phone interviews and a one on one interview. Even with 24 years of military experience in customer service and HR they did not hire me. I also would love to work for them but I fear it is not in the cards. I am not sure if the stories are true about age but what else can I think? I feel for each one of you that cannot seek employment with them. I wish they would take the experience of military service off there job postings because it is very frustrating. I also do not buy the "I am to qualified" because honestly I just want employment. I have been a member of USAA for 10 years and this has honestly got me thinking of leaving them all together.

Signed
Very Frustrated!

18 months ago

I do think there is age discrimination from alot of what I have seen although I am not able to prove it is. I have seen most of the new employee orientations for the most part younger. I also have known people that did not get promoted for reasons I think were age related. It is just my opinion though. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you can do early retirement at 55 with at least 5 years of service. I was not hired on my first interview. I had to apply for another job before getting hired. They do prefer people with a college degree and from my experience start people at the base pay. Expect to be chained to the phone 8 hrs a day and be micro-managed. You will be expected to sell, sell, sell or what they refer to as relationship building. Hope that helps.

Signed
Very Frustrated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

New Hire in Arvada, Colorado

7 months ago

If I work for USAA will they allow to me to have a second job elsewhere ?

Fulfillment seeker in nowhere, Florida

7 months ago

New Hire in Arvada, Colorado said: If I work for USAA will they allow to me to have a second job elsewhere ?

As long as it is not in conflict with USAA business such as another bank or insurance company or any other business that USAA also handles. They will have you complete a form for second jobs to verify if it is in conflict with their business.

rog george33245 in Norfolk, Virginia

7 months ago

Fulfillment seeker in nowhere, Florida said: As long as it is not in conflict with USAA business such as another bank or insurance company or any other business that USAA also handles. They will have you complete a form for second jobs to verify if it is in conflict with their business.

I had a 2nd job when I worked for USAA. Actually, I performed my duties for that job while on USAA time while I was doing field work. I believe I neglected to inform USAA . . . Sweet!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.