What's the company culture at USAA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4951 to 4985 of 4985)
Page:  « First « Previous   97  98  99  100   

Surviving in Frisco, California

7 months ago

Dmecula in Va Beach, Virginia said: Perhaps you should consider returning to your predictably regimented life in that military cocoon you seem to relish. While in the service, my goal was quite simply getting out in order to return to "the real world". You have my sympathy because I can see how difficult it is for you while attempting to make the transition.

Good luck because you, like all of us, carry baggage but fortunately, not with a grip as tight as yours.

At first I thought your reply was a little snarky until I read OhThankGawd's comments. Now I agree with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Honest One in Boerne, Texas

7 months ago

Dmecula...your own words show how little you care about the military if your only goal while in the service was "getting out in order to return to "the real world". I agree with OHTHANKGAWD completely. USAA was my first (& so far only) civilian job after transitioning (retiring) from the military. I was in P&C Policy Service (now Financial Foundations) for 2 years. What made working at USAA so difficult and frustrating was the total HYPOCRISY and complete lack of integrity and ethics at the manager level. There is/was a complete disconnect between what the senior executives put out and the actions taking place within the operations of the company. The senior execs are either bold faced liars, or really don't want to know what is going on as long as they get the results they want. ALL the vets (transitioning vets) that started around the same time as I did, quit within six months. Mostly because of the crappy work environment and lack of upward mobility. Most transitioning vets are not pros at brown nosing and telling white lies...we expect to be valued by our hard work, reliability and honesty. Unfortunately, those are not the traits that get you promoted at USAA. By crappy environment I mean the atmosphere that is created by first and second level managers (not the physical environment). It is one of distrust, lies, and treating everyone as a number. I lasted two years because I was hoping on moving up. I finally couldn't take the BS and quit. Yes, as you implied, USAA is the REAL WORLD, i.e. no different than any other corporation. Unfortunately, a lot of us (long term members prior to being employees) really believed the commercials, advertising, and illusion that USAA promotes. That's why we are so disappointed when we see the real, inner workings of the company. We just expected more out of USAA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Honest One in Boerne, Texas

7 months ago

If you are familiar with USAA, you will recognize the following, along with my translation to what I observed during my tenure.
USAA SLOGAN REALITY
*"We know what it means to serve" => WE KNOW WHAT IT MEANS TO SERVE...OURSELVES!.
*"We do the right thing, because it is the right thing to do..." => WE DO THE RIGHT THING...UNLESS IT CREATES MORE WORK OR MAKES LESS PROFIT!

This is why transitioning military have a hard time adapting to the service positions (Financial Foundations, Claims, etc). Core values are not just a slogan to us (transitioning vets), we expect to see them in practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dmecula in Va Beach, Virginia

6 months ago

Interesting comments Honest One. Transitioning from an idealistic military atmosphere into a civilian one is going from one meat grinder to another but the final result is being ground up and spit out and this is especially true of Policy Service where the bar for management is and has always been set extremely low. Your military background neither enhances nor reduces your current experiences because you went from the military atmosphere to a call center so of course you're unhappy; who wouldn't be?

Do I care about the military? I think it's a good learning experience and believe there should be mandatory enlistments for both sexes. I also believe high school is a good learning experience but I wouldn't care to either remain there or repeat it. My goal in both atmospheres was to move on as I previously said.

A sad aspect of your post involves your belief system that places reality and importance on commercials, advertising and slogans because they are nothing more than background noise designed to produce a false or abstract premise with the hope the target audience will buy a product, service or concept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Connie Ralston in Fountain, Colorado

6 months ago

USAA is not a good company to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Dmecula in Va Beach, Virginia said: Perhaps you should consider returning to your predictably regimented life in that military cocoon you seem to relish. While in the service, my goal was quite simply getting out in order to return to "the real world". You have my sympathy because I can see how difficult it is for you while attempting to make the transition.

Good luck because you, like all of us, carry baggage but fortunately, not with a grip as tight as yours.

Rude

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Connie Ralston in Fountain, Colorado said: Rude

I disagree. I was both civil and courteous. You must be (pardon my redundancy) a confused Conservative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Inception in San Antonio, Texas

6 months ago

USAA is like this: You guys ever watched 'The Firm' with Tom Cruise? He find outs that the one of the best companies to work for are nothing but a bunch of dirty lawyers working for mobsters. Read the wiki (The Firm 1990)...anyway...

The point here is that employees are oblivious to the dirty tactics that USAA uses OR employees who 'get it' backstab others and climb the ranks very quickly due to the money involved.

But this is true almost everywhere else you go. It exists in school districts as well as federal, state, and local governments. It exists in family businesses (Walmart), non-profits (Goodwill), and at your doctors office.

In other words ladies and gents, you are screwed or getting screwed everywhere you go..Death and Taxes (unless you only get cash).

Best way to make money - Start your own business and be a lying, cheating, stealing executive like everyone...the only way to win is to cheat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Dmecula in Va Beach, Virginia said: I disagree. I was both civil and courteous. You must be (pardon my redundancy) a confused Conservative.

I voted for Obama.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Prospective employee in Bloomington, Illinois said: Concerned parent - keep in mind the perspective here. This site is more for those seeking employment, not necessarily a site the happily-employed would visit or contribute to. In no way do I question the integrity or opinions of those who've written so far - I appreciate reading them very much. It just needs a reminder to keep the perspective that it will likely be a one-sided picture you'll see here.

Nope, these are very accurate experiences from these former employees. I have many prior employees who quit the company and I know many who currently work there who are looking for work elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

Still unemplyeed in San Antonio, Texas said: Your comment was not misinterpreted you claimed it was constructive. I don't know what department you work in but frankly you need to work on your communication and delivery skills. It was judgmental and flat out rude. You also assume that I'm 21 years old your mistake. It sounds to me like you are a manager.
I gave up a great career because I was told how wonderful a company USAA was to work for. Shame on me, I should have known it was to good to be true. In the beginning it all sounds great, then you find out the truth. Because of one manager that had an ego, I have lost the career that I loved and was very good at.
If you are happy at USAA good for you, but one day when you are in the situation where they want to get rid of you for someone younger that they can pay less for, then you will know how it feels to be mislead and betrayed by those how say they are there for the employee.

P.S. If you are so happy, you are not defending them and USAA is so great then what in the world are you doing on this message board. Please do not say you are playing devils advocate if you are so happy you have an agenda.
Again have a nice day.

The same thing happened to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fulfillment seeker in nowhere, Florida

5 months ago

It is funny to see what is usually a high flying day when the bonus annoumcemenr is made that it is really quiet because instead of getting more than the 18.8% bonus we got last year it was 18.7% this year. Most thought it would be 19%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ajeskin in San Antonio, Texas

4 months ago

Many years ago I worked at USAA as a temp, and discovered two unsettling things about the company:

(1) There were hundreds (if not thousands) of temps employed, some for more than a decade. They received better than average pay, but no benefits of course. It seemed like the company was trying to save money by having temps fill positions instead of hiring full-time employees for those jobs. The temp agencies and USAA profited, but the employees were used and abused. Promises of making temp jobs permanent were rarely -- if ever -- fulfilled.

(2) A lot of creative work was outsourced to freelancers, who were willing to lower their rates (and subsequently lower freelance rates city-wide) for the prestige of working with USAA. One would think that a company with the resources of USAA would be able to have its own in-house creative department full of top-notch professionals. Instead, their marketing departments (and there are many different ones, all operating independently, it seems) are full of drones with limited skills. And in addition to hiring freelancers, they also work with more than one very, very high-priced ad agency. So what are all those marketing/communications staff people doing???

I observed that there was a lot of "fat" that needed to be cut from the staff, and far too much time was wasted on useless meetings (some as long as 4 hours). The company is way too big to manage effectively. It has become bloated beyond control, and is rife with incompetent managers and wasteful practices that are ignored. Yet it still has a reputation for being the best place to work. Go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

rog george33245 in Norfolk, Virginia

4 months ago

I agree with much of what you have said. Concerning why USAA may continue to enjoy their reputation as a good place to work, it actually is when you consider the atmosphere at the majority of other major insurance companies. Working at USAA is like reaching old age. It's not something you truly look forward to or enthusiastically enjoy, until you consider the alternative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

need to make a decision asap in San Antonio, Texas

4 months ago

I received a full time job offer at nationwide paying me a dollar more. However I also received a offer with usaa for the part time seasonal position. Everyone I know keep telling me to take the seasonal position at usaa because there is a chance that I can get hired full time and they have better benefits. Now I am confuse because reading these comments got me thinking I should go with nationwide insurance company and forget usaa. Please anyone help me decide, I don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it later down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

joey1127 in Sacramento, California

4 months ago

I would take the job with Nationwide before USAA. USAA services the Military and as such, they are all about cutting costs and saving money for their members. Nationwide would be a better route I think. After all you've read, I think going to USAA would be not too smart!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

4 months ago

joey1127 in Sacramento, California said: I would take the job with Nationwide before USAA. USAA services the Military and as such, they are all about cutting costs and saving money for their members. Nationwide would be a better route I think. After all you've read, I think going to USAA would be not too smart!

Thanks Joey I definitely will :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Arizona

4 months ago

If you have a FT offer with Nationwide I would take it.y
My area hires a lot of contractors and lets them go when needed. It also takez a lot to get promoted.I am at a dead end. We also have a ton of overseas contractors. If you don't end up liming Nationwife you could always reapply as it is a revolvong door.

4 months ago

joey1127 in Sacramento, California said: I would take the job with Nationwide before USAA. USAA services the Military and as such, they are all about cutting costs and saving money for their members. Nationwide would be a better route I think. After all you've read, I think going to USAA would be not too smart!

I spoke with human resource from usaa today. According to that person after the assignment is completed in September they will be hiring 40% of the seasonal employees permanently. I am surprise that they are willing to hire Seasonal employees who are now getting into the system permanently when they are others who are with the company for years and they never offer them a permanent position.

nonefornow in Arizona

4 months ago

Don't buy that BS. My dept uses India contractoes to do non-member contact jobs and American contractors for other jobs. My dept is about half contractors. They have only hirws a dew permanently over several yeara.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Arizona

4 months ago

CorporateHate in Castroville, Texas said: You're either an idiot or you're a scumbag manager. Folks, don't take my word for it. Go ahead and do your own research on Google and you will see the truth....

blogs.wsj.com/cfo/2014/03/06/outsourcing-loses-its-luster-for-u-s-tech-companies/

I am neither, just a regular employee who deals with our contractors daily and know mgmt fowa to visit the India contractors. A blog will not tell you the inside story. Believe what you want to but I know what my dept does. It is not a hidden secret.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OhThankGawd in Virginia Beach, Virginia

2 months ago

joey1127 in Sacramento, California said: Yeah, and I have ocean front poperty to sell you in lovely Nevada! When I interviewed for the Policy Service Advisor job, they told me over and over again that it was not like a " call center " but more of a service environment. Boy was that wrong. It was a DAMN in-bound call center with sales goals for what were suposed to be Policy Service Advisors. I would not even work for USAA. What a bad experience that was. If you like to kiss ass and play BS head games and stab your co-workers in the back, it's not a bad place to work. The mangers were the most useless collection of dead-weight I had ever dealt with. HR was even more of a joke at the Sacramento office (now closed. shocker)

Thank you for a perfect response!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Arizona

2 months ago

OhThankGawd in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: It is a waste to talk of honor or belief in a system to such a low individual as Dmecula.

It is funny people are talking about this now. They want input from employees on how to stop wmployees from quitting in the first year. They have 45% turnover rate foe first yeae employees and want employee feedback on what they can do to prove retention.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

- Indeed Host in Austin, Texas

2 months ago

Hello, You may post anonymously - but we reserve the right to remove inappropriate comments at any time. Please adhere to these two rules: 1. Be respectful, reasonable and relevant. Don't post anything nonsensical, vulgar, disruptive, untrue, or irrelevant. If you're not sure if your comment is a meaningful contribution, do not post it. - Indeed Host

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Paranoia, thy name is conservative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OhThankGawd in Virginia Beach, Virginia

1 month ago

nonefornow in Arizona said: It is funny people are talking about this now. They want input from employees on how to stop wmployees from quitting in the first year. They have 45% turnover rate foe first yeae employees and want employee feedback on what they can do to prove retention.

They can downsize 50% of managers and stop micromanaging hard working employees. In the meantime, we are doing what they did not expect. We are talking with our feet and leaving "at will." USAA has forgotten that employees can also fire the boss! This is what happens when you get too big for your pants Joey! Now go get your shine box!

joey1127 in North Highlands, California

1 month ago

OhThankGawd in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: This is what happens when you get too big for your pants Joey! Now go get your shine box!

...you're telling USAA Management to go get their Shine Box? See, that would indicate that USAA management works and I would have to sort of...well, no.

Tom1976 in Austin, Texas

1 month ago

Hello,

A few questions I was hoping someone would not mind answering.

First, do USAA employees receive a discount on USAA services, such as insurance?

Secondly, I understand that salaried employees earn a yearly bonus that is a % of their salary, but I have heard of another bonus or two, and was hoping to get a few details/specifics on those if they do in fact exist.

Thank you.

nonefornow in Arizona

1 month ago

Employees do not get discounts for imsurance. They start out at the same rates as a USAA dependent (CIC) then after 5 years you get the USAA rates which is the same as military members. There is no employee discount. I am not sure about yhe management bonuses but all employees that are in good standing get a holiday bonus of two weeks additional pay plus a yearly bonus in February based on how the company did the year before. It is paid in February. The bonus this year was 18.7%.

Dell Travis in Dallas, Texas

1 month ago

Here's the scoop on bonuses for management, excluding senior management.

We receive the same percentage bonus as regular employees but since our saleries are usually higher, we enjoy a much larger piece of the pie plus our bonus is padded so as to render it virtually tax free.

As we exit monthly management meetings, each of us are casually handed an envelope of cash in recognition and praise of specific goals we have achieved toward maintaining our exemplary employee morale. Specific monatary amounts are based on morale charts we secretly create and maintain for our specific area. Employee input is strictly discouraged as it tends to reduce our monthly bonus and that reduces our morale.

All cafeteria purchases made through our employee ID cards are totally reimbursed to us at the end of the month. This is made possible via the Regular Employee Subsidy Program that incorporates a charge back feature that basically increases the upfront cost of all food/beverage sales made by other employees. You have our gratitude of course.

Lastly, we do not have any copayment on perscription drug purchases as our daily drugs are supplied by the company as we enter the building as a method allowing us to cope with endless employee droning, grousing and grumbling.

Now, here's the good news and the sad news.

The good news is: none of the above is true.

The sad news . . . so many of you wanted to be believe it was true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janetta Purifoy in New Braunfels, Texas

1 month ago

Tom1976 in Austin, Texas said: Hello,

A few questions I was hoping someone would not mind answering.

First, do USAA employees receive a discount on USAA services, such as insurance ?

Secondly, I understand that salaried employees earn a yearly bonus that is a % of their salary, but I have heard of another bonus or two, and was hoping to get a few details/specifics on those if they do in fact exist.

Thank you.

It's not just salaried employees but all usaa employees (full time and part time) are eligible for the yearly bonus. ( I believe seasonal employees are not though). And it will be a percentage of whatever you made for the previous year. So it's not based on your actually salary but what you actually made. Since I started in September my bonus was calculated on only the pay I made form sept-dec but it still came out to like $1200 after taxes so no complaints.

Holiday bonus comes in December and it is equal to two weeks worth of pay if you have been there for a year. Employees hired within that year only get a portion. I started in September and they awarded my bonus at 8 hours of overtime pay. (Still a few hundred bucks so no complaints there either. Extra money for me).

Employees don't get discounts on insurance or other usaa products.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

disguntled phone jockey in san antonio in San Antonio, Texas

1 month ago

Dell Travis in Dallas, Texas said: Here's the scoop on bonuses for management, excluding senior management.

We receive the same percentage bonus as regular employees but since our saleries are usually higher, we enjoy a much larger piece of the pie plus our bonus is padded so as to render it virtually tax free.

As we exit monthly management meetings, each of us are casually handed an envelope of cash in recognition and praise of specific goals we have achieved toward maintaining our exemplary employee morale. Specific monatary amounts are based on morale charts we secretly create and maintain for our specific area. Employee input is strictly discouraged as it tends to reduce our monthly bonus and that reduces our morale.

All cafeteria purchases made through our employee ID cards are totally reimbursed to us at the end of the month. This is made possible via the Regular Employee Subsidy Program that incorporates a charge back feature that basically increases the upfront cost of all food/beverage sales made by other employees. You have our gratitude of course.

Lastly, we do not have any copayment on perscription drug purchases as our daily drugs are supplied by the company as we enter the building as a method allowing us to cope with endless employee droning, grousing and grumbling.

Now, here's the good news and the sad news.

The good news is: none of the above is true.

The sad news . . . so many of you wanted to be believe it was true.

I bet the higher exectives eat free in B building. I would totally forgo my bonus to be paid more hourly instead of being raped by the IRS every Feb. Raises in this company are a joke, my prev employer I would automaticly get a raise every 6 months and it would be at least 10%. at USAA you are lucky to get 3%, but most get under 2% a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

disguntled phone jockey in san antonio in San Antonio, Texas

1 month ago

disguntled phone jockey in san antonio in San Antonio, Texas said: I bet the higher exectives eat free in B building. I would totally forgo my bonus to be paid more hourly instead of being raped by the IRS every Feb. Raises in this company are a joke, my prev employer I would automaticly get a raise every 6 months and it would be at least 10%. at USAA you are lucky to get 3%, but most get under 2% a year.

now the higher ups want those with seniority to work Saturday's to appease the new hires who are whining since they have to work weekends, they have no life. instead of appeasing these individuals to get them to stay beyond the first year, why hire them in the first place. with my seniority, I should not have to work any Saturdays as there are enough people below me to carry the load.

nonefornow in Arizona

1 month ago

disguntled phone jockey in san antonio in San Antonio, Texas said: I bet the higher exectives eat free in B building. I would totally forgo my bonus to be paid more hourly instead of being raped by the IRS every Feb. Raises in this company are a joke, my prev employer I would automaticly get a raise every 6 months and it would be at least 10%. at USAA you are lucky to get 3%, but most get under 2% a year.

You aren't kidding about the raises. I am disgusted by what I received and found out I could only get a max raise of 2% even with a overall EE. The longer you are there the less of a rause you get. I have now just strived to get an ME since it doesn't pay to bust your ass.

phone monkey in San Antonio, Texas

3 days ago

disguntled phone jockey in san antonio in San Antonio, Texas said: now the higher ups want those with seniority to work Saturday's to appease the new hires who are whining since they have to work weekends, they have no life. instead of appeasing these individuals to get them to stay beyond the first year, why hire them in the first place. with my seniority, I should not have to work any Saturdays as there are enough people below me to carry the load.

dude your a phone monkey, nobody cares about your seniority. I work at USAA and your probably one of those 30yr tenured phone reps. For that, you should get you LESS seniority, its pathetic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   97  98  99  100   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.