What's the company culture at USAA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 4991)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Annie in San Marcos, Texas

92 months ago

Just to let you know, a local TV station WOAI, did a story about how many IT professionals were laid off when jobs were given to people from India. The reporter got a management meeting tape of the current CEO saying that they were doing so because the IT talent just wasn't here or USAA would have it. What an uproar. USAA sued Clear Channel claiming the reporter obtained confidential and proprietary information. Those of us who worked there loved it because it showed a truer image of the man and what he has done to a once great company. However, in fairness, I do think your daughter should give it a shot, she's young and it will be a good experience for her but I hope she doesn't believe it will be her one and only job. I think those days are long gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bret in San Antonio, Texas

92 months ago

I work at USAA and love it! It is a fun, energizing place to work. The pay is great, and benefits are extraordinary. Is it challenging? Yes -- definitely not a place for people who want to sit around and wait for retirement. I would recommend it to any friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

10 year veteran of USAA/separated in San Antonio, Texas

92 months ago

Annie said: Just to let you know, a local TV station WOAI, did a story about how many IT professionals were laid off when jobs were given to people from India. The reporter got a management meeting tape of the current CEO saying that they were doing so because the IT talent just wasn't here or USAA would have it. What an uproar. USAA sued Clear Channel claiming the reporter obtained confidential and proprietary information. Those of us who worked there loved it because it showed a truer image of the man and what he has done to a once great company. However, in fairness, I do think your daughter should give it a shot, she's young and it will be a good experience for her but I hope she doesn't believe it will be her one and only job. I think those days are long gone.

Yes, and if you can remember, it was after the WOAI piece is when things really started to spiral out of control at the company. If you notice, the CEO changed his demeanor in the meetings on a 180. No more "Mr. Nice Guy". Honestly, I thought the employee who gave the business plan to the media made a terrible mistake. He put the entire workforce at jeopardy. What little trust that was left at that time was totally destroyed and the other employees suffered the CEO's wrath. They're still suffering for it. I know a lot of good IT people who lost their jobs to outsourcing, and that was a shame. I know a lot of others who were extremely loyal to the company were never trusted again. I saw that as an unfortunate circumstance. I was employed there then and no one trusted anyone there again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

Bret said: I work at USAA and love it! It is a fun, energizing place to work. The pay is great, and benefits are extraordinary. Is it challenging? Yes -- definitely not a place for people who want to sit around and wait for retirement. I would recommend it to any friend.

I wish you the best during your employment there. You remind me of me about 5 years ago. Just remember that things change in a heart beat there. I'd be interested to know what you think about the company in a years time. Please write back and give us an update. And watch your back...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

IT in Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

Annie said: Just to let you know, a local TV station WOAI, did a story about how many IT professionals were laid off when jobs were given to people from India. The reporter got a management meeting tape of the current CEO saying that they were doing so because the IT talent just wasn't here or USAA would have it. What an uproar. USAA sued Clear Channel claiming the reporter obtained confidential and proprietary information. Those of us who worked there loved it because it showed a truer image of the man and what he has done to a once great company. However, in fairness, I do think your daughter should give it a shot, she's young and it will be a good experience for her but I hope she doesn't believe it will be her one and only job. I think those days are long gone.

Would there be a way to watch this video. I am very interested to see it, if so where is it located?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ellie in Spring, Texas

92 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ellie in Spring, Texas

92 months ago

Thanks for your response. I also think that it's a good idea for my daughter to give it a try. It was a generous offer for a first time job & nothing is forever, so she may as well give it a go, get some experience and if it doesn't work out, she has a world of opportunities. I'll check back on here after she's there for a while and let you know how it goes!

EBony in Peoria, Arizona

92 months ago

Former Employee said: Want to succeed at USAA? Be prepared to be a "yes" man or woman...(*name removed)(CEO) manages by fear and intimidation and has even stooped so low as to call his employees "spoiled brats" when USAA fell off the Fortune "Best Companies" list. Employees have most recently been warned to not reply to emails from outside the company or possibly be terminated. Oh, and make sure that you don't want in the hallway outside the CEO's office...that's a BIG no no! In short...it's a keep your nose to the grindstone, do what your told, don't ask questions and by all means don't question authority environment. Wonder why more than 1,000 people left the company this year...

Tell me about it, I worked a help desk position for them for about 2 weeks. They hired me because I had prior experience and then when I used it I ended up offending some losers and they fired me. They claimed that this job wasn't important enough to me because I go to school full time and work, so they fired me for trying to obtain further education, go figure ......

92 months ago

You could try to find it on the woai.com website. It may be archived, but I think because USAA filed a suit against WOAI, they may have removed it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

EBony said:
Tell me about it, I worked a help desk position for them for about 2 weeks. They hired me because I had prior experience and then when I used it I ended up offending some losers and they fired me. They claimed that this job wasn't important enough to me because I go to school full time and work, so they fired me for trying to obtain further education, go figure ......

At one time, USAA was very encouraging about the employees' continuing education. But, I'll tell you a story that I heard from my best friend. She has a cousin who works in Ins. area of USAA. He had began working at USAA a few years ago and was also attending law school (not an easy task as you can imagine). His wife was expecting their first child and she had had a difficult pregnancy. Because she was experiencing problems he had to take time off to care for her and had used up almost all of his PTO, but was under FMLA to preserve his job. When she was 8 months pregnant, he was scheduled to take the Bar Exam. I understand the Bar Exam takes about three days, and he did not have the annual left to take the time off with pay. He was willing to take the time off without pay to take the test. When he advised his manager that he would need three days off to take the Bar and was aware he would not be paid, his manager denied the request. She advised him that the department was too understaffed for him to take that much time off. He explained to her that he had been preparing for the Bar for a long time and he tried to stress how important this was. She told him that if he took the time off he should not bother to return to USAA. Of course, they depended on his job for insurance coverage for the birth and the health care of both his wife and the new baby. He had no choice but to miss that opportunity to take the Bar at that time. He had to wait and take the test after the baby was born. I felt so badly for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona

92 months ago

The company does ask a lot of you, but the benis and amenities onsite are worth it. The fact that my son is on campus at a great daycare is worth the stress and demands of the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Looking in Phoenix, Arizona

92 months ago

Beware, it is like big brother there. I know a person who got fired because they were watching her email. They watch everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Houston, Texas

92 months ago

i am another person who is shocked to see the comments everyone has left regarding usaa. i grew up not too far from san antonio and usaa always had a good reputation as a very large, diversified company with many members, large numbers of controlled assets; in other words a safe and stable company. i also am in dicussions with them for a professional job that is unrelated to customer-facing sales and service. are most of the experiences left here from a particular divison or profession/job function?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in San Antonio, Texas

92 months ago

I just recently was relocated by USAA to Texas from another state. I have heard so many different stories, many of them bad..I don't know what to think. When they hired me, they gave me a written agreement, which didn't include any tests. Now I am hearing if we don't get an '85' on the tests they give us, we will be fired. Not to mention we wil be fired for this and that. I like it there, and I am making good money, but I have been deceived and hurt so many times by other companies, I'm a little scared. I hope I have not made the wrong decision by coming down here. Please, any advice or comments would be welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

interest in West Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

Maria said: I just recently was relocated by USAA to Texas from another state. I have heard so many different stories, many of them bad..I don't know what to think. When they hired me, they gave me a written agreement, which didn't include any tests. Now I am hearing if we don't get an '85' on the tests they give us, we will be fired. Not to mention we wil be fired for this and that. I like it there, and I am making good money, but I have been deceived and hurt so many times by other companies, I'm a little scared. I hope I have not made the wrong decision by coming down here. Please, any advice or comments would be welcome.

Please let us know your opinion on your current experience with the company. Have you've personally experienced any of the things mentioned in this forum? The only suggestion I have at the moment is to do the best you can and keep a positive outlook of yourself.

Any other suggestions from the forum crowd?

Good luck!!!!!

92 months ago

Maria said: I just recently was relocated by USAA to Texas from another state. I have heard so many different stories, many of them bad..I don't know what to think. When they hired me, they gave me a written agreement, which didn't include any tests. Now I am hearing if we don't get an '85' on the tests they give us, we will be fired. Not to mention we wil be fired for this and that. I like it there, and I am making good money, but I have been deceived and hurt so many times by other companies, I'm a little scared. I hope I have not made the wrong decision by coming down here. Please, any advice or comments would be welcome.

Please let us know your opinion on your current experience with the company. Have you've personally experienced any of the things mentioned in this forum? The only suggestion I have at the moment is to do the best you can and keep a positive outlook of yourself.

Good luck!!!!!

92 months ago

Good luck!!!!!

Do tell us! in West Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

Good luck!!!!!

92 months ago

Good luck!!!!!

Hi Maria in West Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

Could you give us an example of what have you've currently experienced with the company? Have you personally experienced anything related to the forum? That would help generate better advice for you.

Thanks and good luck

92 months ago

Hi Maria said: Could you give us an example of what have you've currently experienced with the company? Have you personally experienced anything related to the forum? That would help generate better advice for you.
Thanks and good luck

Thank you for the response--so far I haven't experienced anything real bad. I was asked to work through lunch, but I agreed to do so, was paid, and given a free lunch. Everyone has been pretty nice so far, and I think the job is easy compared to other places I've worked. I am in the call center--I'm a broker. I guess I am a little gun shy because my previous employer did something so bad to me I am having to take them to court. I'm still trying to get that mess taken care of.

So far my experience at USAA has been nice, with the exception of this test issue that came up. I can see where fear and intimidation may become a part of daily life, and can see it where a person doesn't know where they stand. I was told I was doing a good job, but then on the other hand was getting the grades they wanted on the quizzes. Also, there's one boss in there whom I don't think likes me. Not sure why. I asked him to help me one morning and he got up and left. That was a little discouraging. I feel somewhat un-easy about that.
Thanks again for the reply--Maria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

Maria said:
Thank you for the response--so far I haven't experienced anything real bad. I was asked to work through lunch, but I agreed to do so, was paid, and given a free lunch. Everyone has been pretty nice so far, and I think the job is easy compared to other places I've worked. I am in the call center--I'm a broker. I guess I am a little gun shy because my previous employer did something so bad to me I am having to take them to court. I'm still trying to get that mess taken care of.
So far my experience at USAA has been nice, with the exception of this test issue that came up. I can see where fear and intimidation may become a part of daily life, and can see it where a person doesn't know where they stand. I was told I was doing a good job, but then on the other hand was not getting the grades they wanted on the quizzes. Also, there's one boss in there whom I don't think likes me. Not sure why. I asked him to help me one morning and he got up and left. That was a little discouraging. I feel somewhat un-easy about that.
Thanks again for the reply--Maria

(Was Not getting the grades)

Sorry in Carol Stream, Illinois

92 months ago

sorry for the repeated question, my computer was in a loop.

Eddie in Boerne in San Antonio, Texas

92 months ago

I worked there for just under 10 years. Here are my thoughts: USAA is a good place to get some experience, but always keep your eye open for the next opportunity. You will not be treated like an adult when you are on the phones. Your time will be extremely regimented. It is not so bad in the non-call centers, but those areas are constantly going through reorganizations. If you don't mind changing job titles and responsibilities with no increase in pay, then stick with something like marketing or project management. If you like being chained to a desk for exactly 8 hours a day, then join a call center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

naperville in Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

Eddie in Boerne said: I worked there for just under 10 years. Here are my thoughts: USAA is a good place to get some experience, but always keep your eye open for the next opportunity. You will not be treated like an adult when you are on the phones. Your time will be extremely regimented. It is not so bad in the non-call centers, but those areas are constantly going through reorganizations. If you don't mind changing job titles and responsibilities with no increase in pay, then stick with something like marketing or project management. If you like being chained to a desk for exactly 8 hours a day, then join a call center.

So, the company in its own way does promote within? I very curious of this company because I considering for applying in the marketing or project management area. Any suggestions, other than the normal application process. For me, the pay increase is a factor but the experience is a plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Seamus in San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas

92 months ago

For those of you who are thinking about USAA and say, "I don't know what to think" about all the negative comments you're reading here - here's what to think: THEY ARE ALL TRUE - AND THEY ARE TAME COMPARED TO WHAT ACTUALLY GOES ON THERE. If you're still not sure - ask yourself why there are NO posts from ANYONE about how great it is there. Not one. The benefits are no better than any decent mid-size or larger company. You go there, and you will suffer, and you will stress out, and eventually you will be kicked to the curb. Please - if you are of any value as an employee - go somewhere else. I won't bother putting another story down, because I can't think of one any sane person would believe actually occured in a billion-dollar company. You simply cannot force yourself to believe what goes on there. It's hilarious...and very sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Tampa, FL in Wesley Chapel, Florida

92 months ago

Seamus in San Antonio said: For those of you who are thinking about USAA and say, "I don't know what to think" about all the negative comments you're reading here - here's what to think: THEY ARE ALL TRUE - AND THEY ARE TAME COMPARED TO WHAT ACTUALLY GOES ON THERE. If you're still not sure - ask yourself why there are NO posts from ANYONE about how great it is there. Not one. The benefits are no better than any decent mid-size or larger company. You go there, and you will suffer, and you will stress out, and eventually you will be kicked to the curb. Please - if you are of any value as an employee - go somewhere else. I won't bother putting another story down, because I can't think of one any sane person would believe actually occured in a billion-dollar company. You simply cannot force yourself to believe what goes on there. It's hilarious...and very sad.

So So True...such a great company that turned into a living hell to work for. The ineptness of most of the management is beyond discription. They are nothing more than overpaid babysitters or Wardens in some white-collar sweatshop. I have a friend that is a manager at a major insurance company that hired an ex-employee from USAA management and he tells me how much he regrets it now. It's very sad because I used to be also proud to have worked there but grateful I left when I did. I did not leave disgruntled I left disappointed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Niki Hilton in Kingsville, Texas

91 months ago

Hi I am thinking about working for USAA but this site has given me lot's of information. I am in somewhat of a situation. My hubby who is in the military and may be getting out in the next month will need jobs. He looked at the website and seen the great benefits for military spouses as well as military and it looks good. But after reading this it does not. I am a recruiter contracting for a company and thought about working for USAA as a miliary recruiter I do executive recruiting for companies now. I don't know what to do I just want to make sure we both have a good job going into the San Antonio area. Do anyone have any ideals he have a background in secruity and medical and as a administrator over a medical clinic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Colorado Springs, Colorado

91 months ago

I notice that most of these comments come out of San Antonio- does anyone know if this corporate culture holds true in Colorado Springs? I am being hired on there, and after reading all fo these comments, I am extremely leary- I just left a very bad job situation, and am not wanting to walk into another.... I have several friends that work for USAA here and they love it, it seems to be almost a direct contradiction- is this because of locations?

oh no! in Chicago, Illinois

91 months ago

I also was hired by USAA and will start in three weeks. Is their anyone that has any advise to try to avoid these situations. I've been hired to fill a management position in IT, so all advise will be helpful.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

L in Tampa, FL in Wesley Chapel, Florida

91 months ago

Jay said: I notice that most of these comments come out of San Antonio- does anyone know if this corporate culture holds true in Colorado Springs? I am being hired on there, and after reading all fo these comments, I am extremely leary- I just left a very bad job situation, and am not wanting to walk into another.... I have several friends that work for USAA here and they love it, it seems to be almost a direct contradiction- is this because of locations?

If your friends are not on the phones in policy service then I can understand why they like it. If they are on the phones then they really are not your friends...Colorado Springs office maybe a little more tolerable to work for, depending what manager and director you get stuck with. But if you ever get stuck with a director like the one that works on the second floor unit of the Tampa office it will be your worst nightmare. that director has driven a record number of people out of there. USAA would save alot of money by replacing her and her pet managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maria in San Antonio, Texas

91 months ago

After working here for about 3 months, I am beginning to see where this place is another looser. These stock companies are pretty much all the same; I have worked for some good ones--among them 1717 Capital management and Ladenburd&Thalman, and I have worked for many more that were bad. All of them have law suits, both private and class action against them, plus numerous suits from their investors. That speaks for itself. This business produces a bunch of cut-throat, white collar criminals.
Having driven over 1000 miles to move down here and received a contract to work in the call center, I come to the sad realization that this company has it's pets picked out in each group, and those people get special treatment. The cut-throats they want you to transfer calls to will stab you in the back right away. We have a tax team, and one of the people over there had to stop looking at her nails and pick a phone call I transferred for the tax question. She then told my boss 'I didn't know anything.' After that, I transferred a call as a referral. The guy who picked up the call made the client angry by being a smart-a$$ and they tried to blame me.
They only concentrate on things they can find wrong; never what you do right.
A waste of time and effort. Find a new place to work--or better yet, open your own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Colorado Springs, Colorado

91 months ago

I am so confused- I had some friends over for dinner that work at USAA, and I got on this site and showed them the reviews, and they said pretty much the same thing I did, that the comments seem to be based out of San Antonio. They wondered if it wasn't because of the level of upper management that is located out of that office. Some of my friends are on the phones in the call center, and others are in other departments, and some admit to feeling stressed and pressured, but they all feel that they have job security. For the most part, it sounds like the environment is very different out here than in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Jay said: I am so confused- I had some friends over for dinner that work at USAA, and I got on this site and showed them the reviews, and they said pretty much the same thing I did, that the comments seem to be based out of San Antonio. They wondered if it wasn't because of the level of upper management that is located out of that office. Some of my friends are on the phones in the call center, and others are in other departments, and some admit to feeling stressed and pressured, but they all feel that they have job security. For the most part, it sounds like the environment is very different out here than in Texas.

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been away for a while, busy with my new job and distancing myself from the antics of USAA. I have to tell you that while catching up on my reading of your postings, things have not changed for the better at USAA since I left in July '06. I feel terrible for the people who have posted here who have spent the time and energy uprooting themselves to come to USAA and have found themselves disappointed in the company. I have to tell you, when I started at USAA, as I think I have written in previous postings, it was a truly great company. We were chosen, I believe by Fortune Magazine, as one of the best 100 companies to work in America. That was very true 10 or 11 years ago. I wish I knew what happened to this company. At first its decline was sutle, but in the last 5 years, the decline has been accelerated to lightening speed. I know of one employee who had started there 30 years ago when she was 17 and just recently decided that she could not take it anymore. She optioned out for a package, and she got it. She was so eager to get away that she was willing to forego her retirement and drew out her accounts and flipped them to another company. She decided she would rather just seek out another job at another company. I do not regret resigning. I may make less money, but I am so much happier!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Traverse City, Michigan

91 months ago

Tell me a little about the hiring process, what are they looking for in the background check and what are grounds for them not to hire you?

agree with you in sa in New Braunfels, Texas

91 months ago

Seamus in San Antonio said: For those of you who are thinking about USAA and say, "I don't know what to think" about all the negative comments you're reading here - here's what to think: THEY ARE ALL TRUE - AND THEY ARE TAME COMPARED TO WHAT ACTUALLY GOES ON THERE. If you're still not sure - ask yourself why there are NO posts from ANYONE about how great it is there. Not one. The benefits are no better than any decent mid-size or larger company. You go there, and you will suffer, and you will stress out, and eventually you will be kicked to the curb. Please - if you are of any value as an employee - go somewhere else. I won't bother putting another story down, because I can't think of one any sane person would believe actually occured in a billion-dollar company. You simply cannot force yourself to believe what goes on there. It's hilarious...and very sad.

So true! I have read these comments with a very sad heart. USAA used to be a great company and it isn't anymore. Yes, I am sure some of the comments are from disgruntled ex-employees but many are from hard-working, loyal, committed employees who are no longer of any worth. I would not and could not recommend this company to anyone. They have lost so many employees and many, many members that it is shocking to see billboard advertisements in SA for hiring at usaa.com. I never thought I would see the day, but it is not a company worth good employees. The benefits aren't that great anymore. Any 'world class' employer will have basically the same thine----JUST BEWARE and BE CAREFUL. The company is not for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

agree with you in sa in New Braunfels, Texas

91 months ago

Sorry, I meant to say basically the same thing, not thine.

Nothing but good in Schertz, Texas

91 months ago

I am active duty military, I currently work at a reserve center. I have a lot of accounts with USAA. I was thinking about going to work for USAA. We have a whole lot of reservists who work for USAA so I started asking them what it was like. I haven't had a negative comment yet, nothing but positives about how great the company is. The closet thing I heard that was negative was one guy said his December bonus was only $6000. I am like how is that bad, I guess the previous years were bigger. Every December they do a calculation of some sort and give all the employs a bonus. Last year was like 12% of your income for the year. I learned some other stuff, as soon as you get hired they will give you a credit card with a 8% APR, just because you work for them. They have a pension plan plus some sort of 401k. The 401k plan they match 6% of what you put in it. I asked why they constantly are hiring? They try and hire a lot of military family members and military personnel. So if the military members transfers then those dependents have to quit so it opens up job vacancies. They way I see it, if you can get a job with them take it, you get a lot of experience and you can always quite if its that bad. I know I am going to pursue a job with them when I get out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aaron7447 in Columbia, Missouri

91 months ago

OK here is the deal. I worked for USAA, in the Phoenix office, for over 4 years I left Oct. of 2006. I am a property adjuster and have done this type of work for several companies for the last 11 years. The only comments I can make are related to claims. What I can tell you is every negative thing that has been written is ABSOLUTELY TRUE!! I left on good terms and my work product and experience was well thought off. So this is not the rantings of a disgruntled employee trying to get back at the company. Some of my best friends still work at in the claims department and say that things have not changed since I left.

* Departments are always understaffed because people leave and they never back fill the position
* Unrealistic expectations are put on the employees to perform at super high standards but you are not given the tools to get this done and OT is highly discouraged
* The management team lies to the employees
* The VP of claims is an arrogant a$$ that rules by intimidation
* It's all about the bottom line the employee's happiness is never a consideration, although they tell you it is
* Benefits and pay are good but not worth the bs you have to go through to get it
* In the claims department you are expected to handle a pending of over 75 while taking at least 20 new claims a week (anyone who has worked in claims knows that this is not possible)
* They will tell you that there is room for advancement into the different companies (IMCO Life etc)but there isn't. It is extremly difficult if not next to impossible to transfer from one company to another.

Here are some stories to show you how screwed up things are.

A friend of mine worked in claims wanted to go to IMCO. They wouldn't hire him because no experience (they bascially didn't want to pay for his training). He left the company and got hired by an investment competitor got trained by them spent 3-4 months at the competitor and then was hired by USAA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aaron7447 in Columbia, Missouri

91 months ago

continued

Another friend wanted to transfer from PHX to Denever from prop dept to prop dept. Denever wanted her. Assistant VP of claims said that he would not let her transfer (even though they wanted her and had room). She moved to Denever anyway and works for a competitor.

Another friend from property (who has prior auto exp.) wanted to relocate to Washington state. There was an auto position open. They hired from outside the company to fill the postion. My friend relocated anyway and now works for a competitor. Now USAA wants to hire him.

My advice is to be careful when you get hired on. As I said before I have friends that still work there and they cuss this company every single day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

15+ year employee

91 months ago

Ditto to everything said in this forum and MORE!

You have no idea, unless you have or are currently
"living"(?) through life at the "New USAA", how bad it really is.

When the recent CEO remarks are along the lines that its been "the company or the employee" focus for too long, it should be the customer only, you have to be concerned about what you are hearing.

I, after many years of meeting expectations and exemplary comments in yearly appraisals, have for the 1st time, suffered a Partially Met Expectations fate, with a 50% reduction in bonus and no pay raise. This is despite my best efforts in lousy working conditions, with half the staff we are supposed to have during catastrophy claims staff reassignments, regular winter storm periods and constant unrelenting confusion caused by continual change. It can only be down hill from here, particularly due to my age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15+ year employee-continued

91 months ago

It appears by the current corporate demographics that older workers are not the norm and are becoming less and less so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Happily Employed in Zephyrhills, Florida

91 months ago

I've worked for USAA for about a year now and have nothing to say but wonderful things about my experience there. I am astounded by all of the negative comments. I've worked for a number of companies including a previous 'alliance' partner of USAA, my experience at that company was awful.

Things change rapidly in the world of business and if you don't change you get left behind. I do however understand the frustration some employees must feel when things are one way for so many years then change all of a sudden.

Don't get me wrong I have disagreed with some decisions that have been made by management (regarding a personal issue I had with a coworker). Not all companies are all good or all bad, but USAA by far is the best company I have worked for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John in Wesley Chapel, Florida

91 months ago

Happily Employed said: I've worked for USAA for about a year now and have nothing to say but wonderful things about my experience there. I am astounded by all of the negative comments. I've worked for a number of companies including a previous 'alliance' partner of USAA, my experience at that company was awful.
Things change rapidly in the world of business and if you don't change you get left behind. I do however understand the frustration some employees must feel when things are one way for so many years then change all of a sudden.
Don't get me wrong I have disagreed with some decisions that have been made by management (regarding a personal issue I had with a coworker). Not all companies are all good or all bad, but USAA by far is the best company I have worked for.

There is a difference between change for the better and digression. Unfortunately this company has digressed to treating it's frontline employees very badly. I think the CEO needs to research the innovated companies that are truly changing to a better work environment while maintaining superior service to their clients or members. Maybe USAA needs to take the advice that "Things change rapidly in the world of business and if you don't change you get left behind."

Potential Employee in Towanda, Illinois

91 months ago

Business Week magazine just ranked USAA #1 in customer service, so that may not give a reason for mgmt.to think or believe anything is wrong. It's an interesting dichotomy - between the external and internal opinions of this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ex-Employee in San Antonio, Texas

91 months ago

10 year veteran of USAA/separated said: I worked for USAA Federal Savings Bank for 10 years. I resigned the middle part of 2006. In January 2006, the Bank hired a vice president from another lending institution who is unethical, unprofessional and has a total lack of regard for the people who report to her. There have been many complaints to HR about her work ethic, and they choose to do nothing about it. When she started at USAA, she took about two weeks to decide what person would be fired and who would be her "shopping buddy". It made no difference if your year end reviews were in an "exceeds excellance" status, if she didn't like your looks, you would be singled out and harassed until you either quit or she fired you. There is a common denominator in the people she selects to harass - any woman over 40. They're competition for her.
When she came to San Antonio, she decided she was lonely and proceeded to hire her boyfriend from her previous job. He was hired as a Director and the only thing he has exceeded in is going to fetch her her morning coffee... Highly unethical. She also shared with a manager in our department that she had been disciplined in a previous job for sexual harassment.
This is the type of executive management that USAA has chosen to hire. And, as a result, has lost hundreds of good, ethical, hardworking people. Please think twice about going to work for this company. It was once the best company to work for, but now, I wouldn't wish USAA on my worst enemy.
I agree the latest executive management has made USAA the worst place to work, and is far from being the 'Best Place for Working Mothers.'I had to work every Saturday and never had quality time with my children. I was laid off last summer 2006, and has been a blessing in disguise. Since then my high blood pressure has been stable and I now have time with my kids on Saturday.

current USAA/P&C in Lutz, Florida

91 months ago

USAA is a great company with outstanding benefits, 401K, excellent PTO(paid time off program)and I have been with them MANY years, HOWEVER, if I was to start all over again, I would absolutley not get entangled with them. The pressure and the stress are at the point that I would accept a lesser paying job, smaller house, lesser car....you get the picture? For as long as I have been with them, they have never been appropriately staffed, the changes are radical and cause major upheaval constantly with the PROMISE of relief coming soon........relief never comes because people are no longer banging down the doors to work for us and and for every new hire, it seems 2 people leave, in addition the new hires are inexperienced, training is practically non-existant and they are moving people up through the claims lines that are still wet behind the ears and not yet qualified..a sweat shop looking for warm bodies....what does this do? They dig a hole for themselves and become buried in work they do not understand because of lack of training, unmanageable pace of work and they LEAVE vowing to never work in claims again. All this done to what used to be a fantastic career. The employee is no longer part of the 3-legged stool they perch upon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dr in San Antonio, Texas

91 months ago

mike from UTSA said: I am a senior at UT San Antonio and will be graduating in Dec 07 with a degree in Finance. Is there any positions that someone could suggest that i can possibly get started with in the company. I am looking to go towords a financial advisor. What is the current pay range in this area for a rookie? Do they offer internships? Any other info for a soon to be college grad would be great.

Mike,
They have financial advisors there but you will need your securities licenses first. You could go to the investment area and get your licenses but I think you have to be there for 12 months before applying to be a financial advisor.

dr in San Antonio, Texas

91 months ago

Looking said: Beware, it is like big brother there. I know a person who got fired because they were watching her email. They watch everything.

Every financial company does that. I've worked for 2 other firms before USAA and they all did it. They don't want info going outside the company that is offensive and has their name on it. Vanguard just fired 12 people for sending sexually explicit e-mails.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dr in San Antonio, Texas

91 months ago

I went from Vanguard to USAA and it was the best thing I ever did. The benefits are better and I'm treated like a person instead of a number. Vanguard is an evil entity. I was responsible for keeping clients with a total of a half a billion dollars happy and was paid 37k for it. Between that and being raped by a co-worker, I couldn't wait to get out. USAA almost doubled my salary and I have more freedom on the phone. We have a lot of older people in my dept and a lot of ex-military too. I worked in the Phx office and then moved to San Antonio. The Phx office seems more laid back but other than that, they're the same. I'm very happy there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.