What's the company culture at USAA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 4778)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

no way to run a business in Tampa, Florida

110 months ago

It looks like the CEO would realize what he is doing to the employees and the members of USAA but I guess it is all about the green. It is sad to see so many unhappy employees in a place that use to be considered one of the best places to work. Good luck to all of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carlos in Hollywood, Florida

110 months ago

maria said: After working here for about 3 months, I am beginning to see where this place is another looser. These stock companies are pretty much all the same; I have worked for some good ones--among them 1717 Capital management and Ladenburd&Thalman, and I have worked for many more that were bad. All of them have law suits, both private and class action against them, plus numerous suits from their investors. That speaks for itself. This business produces a bunch of cut-throat, white collar criminals.
Having driven over 1000 miles to move down here and received a contract to work in the call center, I come to the sad realization that this company has it's pets picked out in each group, and those people get special treatment. The cut-throats they want you to transfer calls to will stab you in the back right away. We have a tax team, and one of the people over there had to stop looking at her nails and pick a phone call I transferred for the tax question. She then told my boss 'I didn't know anything.' After that, I transferred a call as a referral. The guy who picked up the call made the client angry by being a smart-a$$ and they tried to blame me.
They only concentrate on things they can find wrong; never what you do right.
A waste of time and effort. Find a new place to work--or better yet, open your own business.

Hi Maria,

I was just offered a job in the financial advice call center. The offer was generous and the position appeals to me, as it does not seem to require any hard sales or prospecting. Is this true? I am discouraged by these comments; I am living in Florida at the moment and would hate to make the mistake to move all the way out there to find out all of this is true. I am not looking to be at this company or San Antonio for years, but would hope that it would give me good experience for future opportunities. Based on your experience, what do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

Hi Carlos,
They offered me a job in the FA center at first, then withdrew and I ended up getting a job with less pay and more work. I really don't know what to tell you. So far, things are OK. I am 40 years old and have worked for big corporations all my life. This is just another one and the same bull that goes with it.
You will not have to cold call or prospect as USAA. They never fire anyone for not selling enough. But you can rest assured you will work your socks off answering the phone. You have to ask yourself if you can put up with 8 hours of people calling. You have to hold up and be kind and compassionate on every call.
I have not been there long enough yet to really know what all goes on, but I know if someone in there doesn't like you, you'll be gone.
It would be great experience because you will learn a lot--but just a heads up--you can't key any transactions in FA Center. You will only be advising, which can sometimes get frustrating.
It's not a bad co. for a corporation, and it wouldn't be a bad move.
Best wishes and I hope this helps a little.(I'm not as angry today as I was in my prior post!!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Current Bank Employee 11+ years S.A. TX in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

10 year veteran of USAA/separated said: I worked for USAA Federal Savings Bank for 10 years. I resigned the middle part of 2006. In January 2006, the Bank hired a vice president from another lending institution who is unethical, unprofessional and has a total lack of regard for the people who report to her. There have been many complaints to HR about her work ethic, and they choose to do nothing about it. When she started at USAA, she took about two weeks to decide what person would be fired and who would be her "shopping buddy". It made no difference if your year end reviews were in an "exceeds excellance" status, if she didn't like your looks, you would be singled out and harassed until you either quit or she fired you. There is a common denominator in the people she selects to harass - any woman over 40. They're competition for her.
When she came to San Antonio, she decided she was lonely and proceeded to hire her boyfriend from her previous job. He was hired as a Director and the only thing he has exceeded in is going to fetch her her morning coffee... Highly unethical. She also shared with a manager in our department that she had been disciplined in a previous job for sexual harassment.
This is the type of executive management that USAA has chosen to hire. And, as a result, has lost hundreds of good, ethical, hardworking people. Please think twice about going to work for this company. It was once the best company to work for, but now, I wouldn't wish USAA on my worst enemy.
Interesting! This person, which you are referring to is no longer with the company. They fired her to my understanding. I have worked at the Bank for since 1995 and I have experienced many good than bad issues. I have been promoted many times because I believe in giving a solid effort and making solid decisions that makes sense. I have worked in the Credit Card, First Mortgage, Consumer Loans and Home Equity Departments. The best for me is the realestate area.

Work in Phx in Phoenix, Arizona

110 months ago

I have worked in in 2 other call center previous to USAA. I worked for Qwest during the Joe Nachio years. But if you think you are STRESSED now, wait until you enter the walls of USAA. The first week of employment is all "smoke & mirrors". You will advance at USAA if you already have a degree, and know the right people to smooze. It is all about the people you know. I was told over 4 years ago that there is so much room for advancement & USAA's Phx is the office to work at. If I had the opportunity to do it all over, I would have stayed at my old job. The training you receive is not even enough to feel like you know what you're doing, and then your manager will write you up if you are making too many mistakes. It's a dog eat dog company. Some managers try their best, but poo travels downhill.
I respect every member I speak to & feel honored to help people who our serving our great country, but I am looking for a new job everyday I have off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carlos in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

110 months ago

I appreciate your reply. I was excited about the offer, so it's could to hear something somewhat positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ellie in Houston, Texas

110 months ago

My comments are from early on. I've been concerned since my daughter will be starting a job there in July of this year. She has been dating a young man who has a navy contract for a few years, so she is fairly involved with military people. He is in his 4th year of college with another to go before he graduates and will join the military as an officer. She has been to more than a few Navy Balls, military get-togethers and whenever she mentions that she will be working for USAA, so far, there has not been an individual who has not sung the praises of USAA. I have not mentioned this site to her, because she's already nervous about starting a new job. However, I keep waiting for her to say something negative that she's heard & so far, all the military people that she's spoken to have been nothing but positive....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Work in Phx in Tempe, Arizona

110 months ago

Ellie:
If your daughter is talking to members, most/if not all will sing the praises of USAA. The members are treated with the utmost respect & kindness, by the employees of USAA. The employees are not treated the same as the members.
I work with 2 people who have worked for the company over 5 years, and love it. I love serving our military member & family, but as an employee we are not respected or valued. You daughter will hear nothing bu the best about the company.
It's like an inside dirty little secret.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Current employee in San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

It's pretty crazy to see the majority of comments on this site being so negative. I'm a current USAA employee in IT, and I love my job. Do I love it every day? No, of course not. I do work extremely hard, and a lot is expected of me, but the perks are outstanding. I moved to USAA last year, and from my last job to right now, I'm making about 75% more than I was if you include all the bonuses. Not to mention the benefits are outstanding. Anyone telling you that you can find benefits like USAA's anywhere are flat out lying to you. I hear that they used to be better...but they're still excellent. Plus, if you're not already eligible you get to be a USAA member and take advantage of all the great products. Regardless of what you think about USAA as an employer...the products are great.

There's no question that some of those comments are true. People do get fired for email violations, there is a lot of change and reorganization, and employees are sometimes looked at as numbers....but that will be the case with any large corporation.

The best advice? If you do get hired (or for the poster with the daughter who is starting in July), make sure that you are self-motivated and make an effort to contribute as early as possible. I've done that, and I've received a lot of praise (verbal and monetary) from the managers and executive management that I've worked with...and I've only been there a short time.

Lastly...the work is challenging. They want the company to move forward to continue to serve the members. I agree with Bret that if you're sitting around waiting for retirement, then USAA is definitely not the place for you.

Are there times when I'm not as happy as maybe I could be? Sure...just like any job it wears you down sometimes. But the pay, benefits, and noble mission for the members makes it worth it at the end of the day. It's not perfect, but for me personally, it's a great place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

10 year veteran of USAA/separated in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

So, is it still true that when the layoffs happen, IT is the first to get hit? It was in my day...

I want to say that I just heard that anyone who is employed at the Bank and wants to post out for a new line of business within USAA must advise their interviewer that they will not be available to take a new position until June 2007. How's that for workforce control within the company? Nope, I don't miss that Gong Show one bit.

Hopefully, and this is truly sincere, USAA exec management will wake up and see how far this company has spiralled down from being one of the best companies in
America. Breaks my heart everyday I hear of the new "stunts" the management comes up with.

Bobby in Seattle, Washington

110 months ago

obviously, the "current employee" a few responses up has fallen victim to the brainwashing antics of the CEO and executive management. CEO will always say "but our bonuses are in cash..." yeah, well, so is mine..."but we have medical/vision/dental, etc..." yeah, well, so does my new employer...oh, and about those products from USAA...was surprised to learn that there are companies out there with lower rates than USAA, too...I will concede that you don't get the same level of service, but I'm willing to sacrifice that so that I don't feel like a ton of bricks is loaded onto my shoulders every day as I come through the turnstiles...if you want a good paycheck and are willing to sacrifice your happiness for it, then go for it...work for USAA...but life is too short and there are too many companies out there that don't call their employees "spoiled brats" for ranking the company too low to appear on the "Best Companies" list. The only spoiled brat working at USAA is in the middle of exec row.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

CG

110 months ago

I agree with your comment 100%! Everything you said was exactly the reason I resigned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K in Citrus Heights, California

110 months ago

Ellie said: Thanks so much for your responses. My husband pretty much had the same response, as he works for a major oil company & mentioned that there are plenty of employees who have negative things to say about that company. If nothing else, it will be a good place for her to get some experience. You're right a new job is always a "crap shoot" and one does always have to start somewhere. Thanks again for your positive comments!
My spouse works for USAA, all of these opinions are truly correct. The CEO are board are completely clueless. Your health and wellbeing are never worth $60,000 a year. Look for employment somewhere else you'll be better off.

110 months ago

Ellie said: Yikes. I'm almost sorry I found this site! My daughter was recruited at a college job fair & interviewed a few months ago. They pretty much called her the next day and offered her an IT job. She's a communications major, so was concerned that this job really wasn't what she was looking for & has virtually no IT experience. In speaking with the people who interviewed her & with the benefits & salary, she decided to go ahead and accept the job. She doesn't graduate until May & has told them she'll start in July (in San Antonio).
I'm not sure that I want to share this info with her, as she's nervous enough about it.
Now I wonder if I should counsel her to look around and see what else is out there. Sure would like to hear someone say something even vaguely positive!!
Hello Ellie- You need to show this to your friend. My spouse works for USAA. No pay is worth the amount of unhappiness and stress this company is capable of. She will burn out fast and not because she'll be a bad employee. The expectations that are required are completely unreasonable. I support my spouse 101% on finding a nicer enviroment to be in. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

110 months ago

Unfortunately this is the deal with employment at USAA. No amount of money is worth your health being threatened, high blood pressure, headaches, not sleeping well at night. I know there are happier employment opportunities out there. I'm just a spouse of an employee but have highly encouraged my spouse to go else where and I support my spouse 110%. USAA used to be a very different place, but much has changed in the last few years and not for the positive. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Former CEO's family member... in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

The common word is CEO...My family memeber was the CEO of P&C Insurance in SA, TX for years and retired...not sure...a few years ago (5 or so). Anyways, I thought that I would follow in his foot steps and work there. I was disappointed in the lack of communication. I would call to check the status of my interviews and so on, and it seemed that my 'dedicated' person I was to talk to was some one else every time. I hated it. Ever since his retirement it has gone down hill. People (former and current USAA empolyees) have been 'stalking' him. He gets calls all the time from people saying how much they miss him. What a shame. Oh, by the way... I dont work there either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Former CEO's family member... in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at USAA?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at USAA?

The common word is CEO...My family memeber was the CEO of P&C Insurance in SA, TX for years and retired...not sure...a few years ago (5 or so). Anyways, I thought that I would follow in his foot steps and work there. I was disappointed in the lack of communication. I would call to check the status of my interviews and so on, and it seemed that my 'dedicated' person I was to talk to was some one else every time. I hated it. Ever since his retirement it has gone down hill. People (former and current USAA empolyees) have been 'stalking' him. He gets calls all the time from people saying how much they miss him. What a shame. Oh, by the way... I dont work there either.

former disgrunted employee in Sacramento, California

110 months ago

I agree with the former CEOs family member. I worked at USAA when the former CEO was there and it was a pleasure to work there. We had fun, we were respected, got good raises constantly, weren't overloaded with work and the employees were happy. Now the pending and expectations are double or more than what it used to be. The stress is high and many employees are out on stress leave or similar. Managers said it was good we got a new CEO because the company was losing financially. I don't agree with that. The managers are brain washed or they are good actors just trying to keep their jobs. They would tell us that other insurance companies are the same, that it is the same everywhere. I don't see other insurance company personel leaving in droves. I'm glad I'm not with the company anylonger and I'm much happier and enjoying life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Soon to be out in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

I have been considering of applying for employment with USAA and was researching company information about them and found this site awhile back. I am soon to retire from the military. I have asked numerous people that work for USAA what they think about the company. I have only had one person that was negative. I have spoken with around 100 people in various departments. From what I can tell there are about 10 people no longer employed with USAA posting on this site. Some repeatedly, I think that its odd for a person to keep posting negatives about a company they no longer are employed with. I recommend you seek counseling. I have also been researching other companies, all of them have message boards similar to this, but USAA has the fewest postings I have found. I know that if any of the companies I apply for, offer me a job with a nice pay and benifits I am going to take it, I can always resigne and the experience would be benificial. Just my input from an old guy to young job seekers. If you do not like USAA the Army is always looking for new personnel. Except for you disgruntled past employees, your postings imply to much repressed anger. Please do not shoot anyone. Best wishes to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

p in Sacramento, California

110 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at USAA?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at USAA?

Get there on time -or be written up. Work till your break or lunch times.Go home. Once a week we have unit meetings which usually consist in telling us what we are doing wrong and what more we ned to do to do it correctly. There never have been happy hours- no alcohol allowed at functions on USAA property or functions they sponsor.
Mondays are the worst where you can get up to 12 claims that have to be opened befroe close of business that day. We used to do @20 claims per week. Now it's between 30 -35. I've taken as many as 40 claims in one week and your expected to keep up.
It's not the same sinc I started 9 yrs ago. I also will be leaving soon for a job that is not micro-managed to death,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

#11 in Wesley Chapel, Florida

110 months ago

Soon to be outin San Antonio, Texas said: I have been considering of applying for employment with USAA and was researching company information about them and found this site awhile back. I am soon to retire from the military. I have asked numerous people that work for USAA what they think about the company. I have only had one person that was negative. I have spoken with around 100 people in various departments. From what I can tell there are about 10 people no longer employed with USAA posting on this site. Some repeatedly, I think that its odd for a person to keep posting negatives about a company they no longer are employed with. I recommend you seek counseling. I have also been researching other companies, all of them have message boards similar to this, but USAA has the fewest postings I have found. I know that if any of the companies I apply for, offer me a job with a nice pay and benifits I am going to take it, I can always resigne and the experience would be benificial. Just my input from an old guy to young job seekers. If you do not like USAA the Army is always looking for new personnel. Except for you disgruntled past employees, your postings imply to much repressed anger. Please do not shoot anyone. Best wishes to all.

By the sound of your message it seems you deserve to work there. Maybe they'll even make you a manager. They need more idiots that don't know what they are talking about, and you also sound like you would enjoy torturing the poor overworked, overstressed and underpaid employees. Good Luck from another disgruntled X-Employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CG

110 months ago

Hey Cowboy,
I am not a young job seeker and this aint exactly my first rodeo, so along with my comments comes a bit of wisdom. I would rather share my honest experiences than have potential employees find out about USAA the way I did. I turned down other jobs to take the position at USAA because I had heard such wonderful things about the company. In your case though, you seem to be one of those people who can't figure out how high the mountain is unless you jump off, so go for it, Dude!

Soon to be outin San Antonio, Texas said: I have been considering of applying for employment with USAA and was researching company information about them and found this site awhile back. I am soon to retire from the military. I have asked numerous people that work for USAA what they think about the company. I have only had one person that was negative. I have spoken with around 100 people in various departments. From what I can tell there are about 10 people no longer employed with USAA posting on this site. Some repeatedly, I think that its odd for a person to keep posting negatives about a company they no longer are employed with. I recommend you seek counseling. I have also been researching other companies, all of them have message boards similar to this, but USAA has the fewest postings I have found. I know that if any of the companies I apply for, offer me a job with a nice pay and benifits I am going to take it, I can always resigne and the experience would be benificial. Just my input from an old guy to young job seekers. If you do not like USAA the Army is always looking for new personnel. Except for you disgruntled past employees, your postings imply to much repressed anger. Please do not shoot anyone. Best wishes to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

#11 in Wesley Chapel, Florida

110 months ago

CG said: Hey Cowboy,
I am not a young job seeker and this aint exactly my first rodeo, so along with my comments comes a bit of wisdom. I would rather share my honest experiences than have potential employees find out about USAA the way I did. I turned down other jobs to take the position at USAA because I had heard such wonderful things about the company. In your case though, you seem to be one of those people who can't figure out how high the mountain is unless you jump off, so go for it, Dude!

Hey Homeboy,
Are you sure your not a manager at USAA? Rounding up horses don't count as experience.
Giddy-Up & Out Dude!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Current employee in San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

A lot of these negative comments all over the board (now even addressed to anyone who posts anything remotely positive about USAA), really shows the lack of character in some of you. Regardless of what I think about my past employers, I realize that everyone has a different experience. There are places I hated working that other people loved, and vice versa.

If you can't realize that people can have a different experience than you did, then I'm sorry.

Say what you wish, I love my job. They pay me well, I'm challenged, and my benefits are outstanding. Not only that, but I've had happy hours with my co-workers more in the time I've worked at USAA then I ever had in all my other jobs combined. It all depends on where you're at and what your own experience is.

Don't let a handful of people with sour grapes deter you from finding out for yourself. At the very least it's worth the experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

110 months ago

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think you know I have been posting on here since the very beginning. The reason is that I was a true blue USAA employee for 10 years. I saw the company go from the best to sub-par. It did not happen over night. It happened, I say, within the last 5 years of my tenure. I am not a "sour grapes" person. I still mourn the company it once was. I would love to see it try to regain the integrity it has lost. If it did, I would consider going back because I am eligible for rehire. My main focus on this forum is to give a true perspective of the company that once was the premier place to work in SA. I read these comments on here, and everyone has common experiences. And I'm sure everyone of you, including the ones who are unnecessarily insulting the unhappy employees, are good people. For the ones who have never worked at USAA and for the ones who are still happy, I'm glad for you. But one thing you have to remember is that you too will one day experience what the others have experienced...and it will come out of the blue when you least expect it. And when it does, we'll be hear for you. This is a much better venue than happy hour. If happy hour means that much to you, be sure you do not advertise that you are an USAA employee, because if you do, you are eligible for termination. And make sure you keep your credit up, because they are now terminating all employees who have "blips" on their credit reports. Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

marie in Des Moines, Iowa

110 months ago

wow im a little worried. I work for nationwide they just opened a call center thats a little wack because they have no idea what they are doing and firing people like crazy.I have an interview with usaa and with all these comments now im a little scared.

JPS in Crestview, Florida

110 months ago

CG said: The USAA philosophy is service to the military, their families and associates. With that said if you are a member, whether you have a military background or not, you are treated equally.

We have been USAA members well over 10 years. The stated USAA philosphy is service to military families, but that service has recently taken a serious nose dive. And equal treatment to the USAA members is a now clearly just a joke.

Effective, April 11th, 2007 USAA is currently cancelling homeowners policies for all USAA members in Florida who own more than one home. 27,000 USAA members are effected. Policies owned by active Duty, retired, or family members are all included. Not one of these policies will be renewed.

We all recieved a letter from the USA CEO stating this, and there is a copy of the letter on the USAA website under "News". Suggest reading it for yourselves.

That you and your family members were solid, reliable USAA customers, some for a few decades, matters nought. If USAA is now treating old customers this shabbily, I'd be very hesitant to either become or stay as an employee.

Best of luck you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

maria in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

Canceling these peoples' policies is both bogus and sad. It shows that USAA may not have the financials to cover hurricane losses, and this ranks right up there with how victims of Katrina were treated. I might be able to undetsand them not issuing new policies, but canceling old ones? I think the old policy owners should form a class action law suit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CG in Dallas, Texas

110 months ago

I am so sorry. I left the company at the end of February, so I had not heard about the Florida HO policies being cancelled.

There is a feedback tool the reps can use to let the CEO know exactly how the member feels about situations like this. Please contact USAA and let them know how you feel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bobby in Phoenix, Arizona

110 months ago

10 year veteran of USAA/separated in San Antonio, Texas said: Ladies and Gentlemen, I think you know I have been posting on here since the very beginning. The reason is that I was a true blue USAA employee for 10 years. I saw the company go from the best to sub-par. It did not happen over night. It happened, I say, within the last 5 years of my tenure. I am not a "sour grapes" person. I still mourn the company it once was. I would love to see it try to regain the integrity it has lost. If it did, I would consider going back because I am eligible for rehire. My main focus on this forum is to give a true perspective of the company that once was the premier place to work in SA. I read these comments on here, and everyone has common experiences. And I'm sure everyone of you, including the ones who are unnecessarily insulting the unhappy employees, are good people. For the ones who have never worked at USAA and for the ones who are still happy, I'm glad for you. But one thing you have to remember is that you too will one day experience what the others have experienced...and it will come out of the blue when you least expect it. And when it does, we'll be hear for you. This is a much better venue than happy hour. If happy hour means that much to you, be sure you do not advertise that you are an USAA employee, because if you do, you are eligible for termination. And make sure you keep your credit up, because they are now terminating all employees who have "blips" on their credit reports. Good luck to all.

Heard recently that they did random drug tests on employees to "weed some people" out for termination...can anyone confirm this? Also...what's the deal with people with "blips" on their credit being fired? How can that possibly be justified? Would love to know details...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Another 5 year ex in Tampa, Florida

110 months ago

Bobby in Phoenix, Arizona said: Heard recently that they did random drug tests on employees to "weed some people" out for termination...can anyone confirm this? Also...what's the deal with people with "blips" on their credit being fired? How can that possibly be justified? Would love to know details...

It's true about the (not so) random drug tests and also a friend that was my cubby buddy was hounded by Human Resources every week regarding a school loan (totally unrelated to USAA) that she still owed on. As for the CEO limiting the writing of policies in Florida, he told all employees that they are not to escalate complaint calls to him or the managers. The new release on the USAA websight request the members to contact their local legislators to complain why they are not approving to hike their rates....Go figure

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Soon to be out in San Antonio, Texas

110 months ago

One thing about this forum that I havent found in other company complaint forums, is that people are responding with positive input. I have been going through some other forums and haven't found any positive postings. The fact that there are employes that are now or once were affiliated with USAA and are making positive posts is a good sign. I haven't found a company that didnt have a posting of disgruntled employees, but this is the first company that I have found that has positive input to go with all the negative. That in itself speaks volumes to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

110 months ago

Another 5 year ex in Tampa, Florida said: It's true about the (not so) random drug tests and also a friend that was my cubby buddy was hounded by Human Resources every week regarding a school loan (totally unrelated to USAA) that she still owed on. As for the CEO limiting the writing of policies in Florida, he told all employees that they are not to escalate complaint calls to him or the managers. The new release on the USAA websight request the members to contact their local legislators to complain why they are not approving to hike their rates....Go figure

what else do you know about the drug tests...how many people were let go...when did it happen...etc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ex-employed in Tampa, Florida

110 months ago

former disgrunted employee in Sacramento, California said: I agree with the former CEOs family member. I worked at USAA when the former CEO was there and it was a pleasure to work there. We had fun, we were respected, got good raises constantly, weren't overloaded with work and the employees were happy. Now the pending and expectations are double or more than what it used to be. The stress is high and many employees are out on stress leave or similar. Managers said it was good we got a new CEO because the company was losing financially. I don't agree with that. The managers are brain washed or they are good actors just trying to keep their jobs. They would tell us that other insurance companies are the same, that it is the same everywhere. I don't see other insurance company personel leaving in droves. I'm glad I'm not with the company anylonger and I'm much happier and enjoying life.

"Brain washed"--I could not have said it better! USAA once had an awesome reputation but now they will hire anyone and pay them nothing and then demand ridiculous expectations. Nothing is EVER good enough for those people and it is frustrating. Furthermore, they make the simplest task IMPOSSIBLE to do. You can't be a good employee even if you try. It's always something else they want from you. And the pay isn't even that good, but just good enough that you can't afford to quit. I can honestly say that I do not know anyone who likes it there. The company is so elitist and won't accept the fact that no one cares about their former reputation anymore. Word is out: it sucks there. Oh and don't buy the "open door policy" they feed you at orientation b/c it's a farse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

can see both sides in Tampa, Florida

110 months ago

maria in San Antonio, Texas said: Canceling these peoples' policies is both bogus and sad. It shows that USAA may not have the financials to cover hurricane losses, and this ranks right up there with how victims of Katrina were treated. I might be able to undetsand them not issuing new policies, but canceling old ones? I think the old policy owners should form a class action law suit.

USAA is certainly not the only company doing this. Most companies have not insured homes in FL for years. I think they are working with the horrible situation in FL the best they can. Maybe people should consider writing to the government instead. After all, they are the ones who are backing the insurance companies into this. Business is business= if you can't make money, why bother? It is what it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CG

110 months ago

When I first found this forum, I simple planned to respond to a question about working at USAA and that's it. What I have found is that I am absolutely intrigued by how similar the experiences of other USAA employees are to mine. I am in Texas, yet "ex-employed in Florida" echos exactly my feelings while working at the San Antonio office. It is amazing that this attitude prevails no matter which office you work at.

It is true USAA is elitist and does rest on their former reputation. It is a brave new world out there with many new companies with great benefits and who do treat their employess like people and actually value them. I think there will be a time (probably in the near future) when USAA will have trouble getting people to fill positions. It is sad that such former GREAT company is just so BAD now. Need I say C-E-O?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

110 months ago

In response to the response on 'business is business': What happen to the 'integrity' part of the mission statement? After reading the full statement on the Florida issue, they are going to continue to insure military stationed there, and that's a very good thing. They are also going to keep those already insured, insured. But they are not underwriting any new policies. Why just Florida? Aren't all coastal states a risk? The idea behind not issuing new Florida P&C is to 'protect the financial gains' the company has made. If a hurricane hits Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas all in the same month, there is a possibility those gains could be diminished. If business is business, why bother with property insurance at all on the coast? And as far as 'other' comapnaies...well, that's just what they are: "Other companies." They're irrelivant. Just because a few people wear their socks over their shoes doesn't mean everyone has to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

can see both sides in Tampa, Florida

110 months ago

maria in San Antonio, Texas said: In response to the response on 'business is business': What happen to the 'integrity' part of the mission statement? After reading the full statement on the Florida issue, they are going to continue to insure military stationed there, and that's a very good thing. They are also going to keep those already insured, insured. But they are not underwriting any new policies. Why just Florida? Aren't all coastal states a risk? The idea behind not issuing new Florida P&C is to 'protect the financial gains' the company has made. If a hurricane hits Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas all in the same month, there is a possibility those gains could be diminished. If business is business, why bother with property insurance at all on the coast? And as far as 'other' comapnaies...well, that's just what they are: "Other companies." They're irrelivant. Just because a few people wear their socks over their shoes doesn't mean everyone has to.

I agree with you. But, from their standpoint, they aren't being allowed to charge what they need to in order to properly cover the danger areas, due to gov't restrictions. If they lose money on the deal and the whole company collapses, what good does that do ANYONE? As for the other states, yes, I would say they are all a risk but the ENTIRE state of FL is basically coastal while the other gulf coast and atlantic coast states are not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

110 months ago

In addition to what I have posted so far...having not worked for USAA that long, and having come 1000 miles to work here, after the training was over, things were much better. For those who are curious and seeking answers and opinions, the company seems to be all right so far, as much so as any other place these days. I would keep my mouth shut, not get too close to anyone (keep it professional). A word to the wise: Don't go delinquent on any loans, cards, or insurance you have with them, and today, while going into work, I spotted security with a dog sniffing cars: I kid you NOT. That was creepy. Don't take any illegal drugs if you want to stay working there.

This is what I have learned so far. And get ready for things to constantly change. You may have a neighbor one day, and he'll get moved the next. There is plenty of corporate bull such as putting caps on how much certain employees can make, and you will be a number, not a person. The pay is pretty good, the benefits are good, and most of the people working in there are very nice.

As I learn more, I will let everyone know, because I have had such bad work environments in the past, I understand what it feels like to be abused at work. Best wishes to everyone here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K in Sacramento, California

110 months ago

It's amazing how the pages of comments are just growing. As a spouse of a current employee, the new rule: the longer you've been there the more claims your expected to take. Unbelievable! I'm speachless! I'm hoping new employment comes soon for my spouse.

jason in Los Angeles, California

110 months ago

I am considering a auto liability claims position on the Phoenix office. Can anyone tell me what it is like working there?

FormerEmployee101

110 months ago

It's sad, but basically everything anyone has said on this site is true about USAA. I was there for 3 years in the San Antonio and Phoenix Office. Things started off so well in the beginning and around 2006 the atmosphere there shifted and everyone was feeling intimated about their positions because of pressure from the CEO to do better but we were doing better. His problem is that he wants to compete with Geico and Progressive and all these other BIG companies but USAA will never reach the status of some of those companies because the focus is to serve the military which is a small fraction of customers compared to customers Geico can reach. I quit about 7 months ago and that was the best thing I could have ever done. So much stress was lifted off my shoulders. Before I quit, I even went to a Psychologist over the stress I felt about the job and the company and she stated that she has seen SOOO MANY patients come through her office who are working at USAA who come to her for counseling because of the stress. Depending on what position you're applying for, you may not endure this type of stress but from as you can see, USAA has several offices in different states and out of those offices most of the people on this board have said that they have experienced the same things. It's not a coincidence. It's just the culture of the company at this present time. I truly do hope USAA becomes that great company that they once were when they valued their employees as well as the members.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bank Employee 11+ years S.A. TX in San Antonio, Texas

109 months ago

There are many positives and negatives at every company. And it is true USAA falls into that catagory. Once you are in the door, it is up to your own personal drive that moves you up. Coming up with great ideas and streamlining process can be an advantage of moving up the latter. But I am also afraid to say that politics takes a huge part in your progression. Sometimes trying so hard and working long hours may not get you anywhere but a $5-$25 dollar cafateria credit card. Kissing a_ _ may be the only thing that places you in a better position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

109 months ago

Drug dogs have been checking cars in the parking garage for about 5 years now. About a year and a half ago, before I quit the company, there was a "round" of dogs that were checking the cars, and one of the dogs sat down at a car that belonged to a 62 year old administrative assistant. The woman had worked there for about 20 years, had never taken illegal drugs and did not know anyone who did. But, nonetheless, she had to submit to a drug test because of the drug sniffing dog's behavior at her car. They put her through hell for about 2 weeks, and ended up doing another background check on her, and she had to discuss the situation with Human Resources....of course, she was cleared, eventually. It's absolutely ridiculous that they are doing this, and I can guarantee it is not random drug tests, or background checks or credit checks. They are trying to weed out the individuals that will not play their politics. What is also ridiculous is that most San Antonians know the company's "new found" repution and as we all know, bad news spreads faster than good news. They are now trying to pay the present employees a finder's fee for persuading people to apply. No one wants to work there anymore. They don't want the torture. While the company pays well, you have absolutely no future in the company unless you scratch and claw and kiss whoever's a** to get there. And you must undermine your work mates. It's the only way. No, the more I read this forum, the more I am convinced I made the right move almost one year ago. I'm so much happier and healthier for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

STAR CHILD in San Antonio, Texas

109 months ago

Yeah, it really sucks, nothing like having to work with people that are drug free. I am about to quit, I cant work for a place that stiffles creativity by suppressing those with brilliant minds by prohibiting the use of shroones. My friend was a financial specialist and got fired for having bad credit and failing to pay his bills, I mean like whatever. Dont go to work for this place, I mean jeeze you cant even bring fire arms into the work place, it sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in SA in San Marcos, Texas

109 months ago

marie in Des Moines, Iowa said: wow im a little worried. I work for nationwide they just opened a call center thats a little wack because they have no idea what they are doing and firing people like crazy.I have an interview with usaa and with all these comments now im a little scared.

Maria,
I work at nationwide in SA. What a sweatshop. USAA is BAD but you will be paid better. Don't listen to these'brown nosers' who are probably posting at their managers insistence.
It stinks there but it is still better than nationwide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BDW in Cleveland, Ohio

109 months ago

Can someone tell me what is good about USAA. I am considering working for USAA and I truly believe it is a good opportunity. Most of what I have read are complaints that appear to me to be very typical in just about any large corporation. I have never worked in a company that was fully staffed, had all competent people, and did't have some promises that were never fulfilled. Can someone please tell me what is good about this company? There has to be some thing that does stick out

BDW in Cleveland, Ohio

109 months ago

Bret in San Antonio, Texas said: I work at USAA and love it! It is a fun, energizing place to work. The pay is great, and benefits are extraordinary. Is it challenging? Yes -- definitely not a place for people who want to sit around and wait for retirement. I would recommend it to any friend.

What did you like about USAA?

109 months ago

The Nationwide office I used to work in was on the East Coast--it was nice, but the branch closed because the guy running it didn't manage the finances well. Sounds like your situation at SA Nationwide is very bad.

So far, there have been some far out goings-on at USAA like the dogs sniffing cars--I thought they may be looking for bombs, but someone told me no--it was drugs. The training and prep for the call center was way out there and crazy, but so far the job itself, the pay, and the benefits make me very happy. I like going to work every day, no one bugs me, I go in and do my job and go home. I am keeping an eye peeled for non-sense, not because it's USAA, but because of my bad past experiences. I'd like to remain nuetral on things, but at the same time, I've really been enjoying this job lately. One thing that sticks out, for the person who wanted to hear something good, is it's a nice place to come to work and we get free parking--all other places I was a broker charged me for parking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

109 months ago

The only and I mean ONLY thing I can think of that's positive at USAA is the base pay. If you can get a Director or higher job, then they'll pay a better-than-average salary...however...the stress and insanity that you have to encounter at that level is ridiculous. Every single problem in that company can be traced back to the CEO...he leads by fear, intimidation and name calling and anyone that disagrees with that is either in denial or lives under a rock. Case in point: when a local TV station began airing reports on USAA and had some "insider" information on outsourcing, the CEO called an all-employee meeting and said that (and I'm quoting...) "anyone that was complicit in this act will be sought out and fired...and if you are aware of who did this, you are just as guilty as they are..." Nice atmosphere, huh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.