What's the company culture at USAA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4701 to 4750 of 4991)
Page:  « First « Previous   92  93  94  95  96  97  98  Next »   Last »

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas

37 months ago

CorporateHate in San Antonio, Texas said: Mr. Canales and Mrs. Bond (All former executives now..one retired and one was disgusted with other executives). All I can say is: Just hang tight and start looking elsewhere if you begin to see arbitrary reasons as to why you're not doing well there. They won't layoff anyone..They hate to spend on severance packages.

I have been in this department for 5 years now and have always been honest on these surveys. I know how they work although I don't think it is fair that we know how many people rated questions certain ways. I am not really that concerned since I have taken several of these before and I had ratings from 1-5 so it doesn't look like everything was just a 1 but I did answer each question honestly. This manager did much better, getting all 4 or 5 ratings overall. If they want to fire me, oh well. I could care less at this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

One Day at a Time in Norfolk, Virginia

37 months ago

If you could start your career all over in Insurance(regardless of what company you work for)what AREA of Insurance would you recommend?
A) Sales: Not the outside hang your shingle up Agent, someone who does servicing and sales on the inside. Is there a career path for this? What does it pay?

B) Underwriting: does this career still exist given that computers do most of the underwriting. On avg what does this pay?

C) Claims (auto)? or (property)?
--Is it possible to begin as an outside adjuster or do you have to start as an inside adjuster first?

Summary: Is claims a better career choice in Insurance overall?

Which Co's would you recommend to explore? I understand many here are dissatisfied with USAA so I'm not going to consider them in my search. However I DO value your expert opinions - thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ArtsyDodger ArtsyDodger in Norfolk, Virginia

37 months ago

If I had to do it again, I would stay with property claims and I began as an outside adjuster when I first joined USAA because I had prior experience as an outside adjuster with an independent company. I doubt USAA or most companies allow you begin your training in the field. It's like jumping into the deep end of the pool while hoping you'll learn how to swim once you hit the water.

I enjoy Property because it provided me with an opportunity to learn construction, a great deal about the law as well as creative writing techniques when reporting on a claim. I'm not going into any detail on the latter because that's something all successful adjusters learn once they find themselves at that deep end of the pool whether they went willfully or not.

When it comes to Property claims, I'm more than a little biased because I spent so many years there and learned a great deal. When I first started in the business and was torn between auto and property, an old timer told me that good property adjuster are hard to find but auto adjusters are a dime a dozen. Later I realized he was right. See, I said I was biased.

Underwriting always interested me and I always enjoyed my interactions with the underwriters. To me, they are bright and although I know so little about their day to day activities, their work did appear interesting so that's something to consider as well.

I would avoid sales at all cost because that line of work is the least appealing to me. I do not identify or sympathize with sales people because I have always been able to determine what it is I need and how to go about getting it if it's available. I simply do not need someone offering it to me but that's just me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

One Day at a Time in Norfolk, Virginia

37 months ago

Wow, this is really helpful - thank you!

I'll share with you something. I interviewed recently at a bank. The metrics involve the following: whether you're a teller or personal banker, you will have to SELL to anyone who walks in the door. The one branch mgr advised me that traffic is slow in his branch. And due to metered parking, customers want to get in and get out. However, one still has to make the effort to get the customer to sit at your desk so you can review his/her account.

You'd be expected to mention (on-line banking, credit cards, a checking/savings/money market account, debit cards, auto loans, mortgage referral, a CD or even a second checking account). Your rated weekly and if you don't meet the weekly goal you get "warned." Customers rate you too on a scale of 1-5. If you get anything less than a "5" you fail your audit.

Competition is fierce since you have other bankers in the same branch and customer who choose to do on-line banking.

So, yes, I agree SALES is not appealing to me either. Like you, I have been always able to determine what I need (especially since everything IS on-line).

I am presenting myself to an insurance company through a "referral" of someone I know. I didn't have to directly apply to a position "yet." So, now that I've reviewed your post, I think "claims" is the better career option. It will ALWAYS be needed. And I like to learn. Property may be available at one of their other offices out of State and I think (auto) is available to the office closest to me. I will find out. If all turns out (and I get a position), I'll post back!

Thanks again for your thorough and informative response - it really helped!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I'm glad I could offer a little help and good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

ArtsyDodger ArtsyDodger in Norfolk, Virginia said: I'm glad I could offer a little help and good luck to you!

The thing about USAA is that you will be pushing products as long as you are a phone rep. I have had friends in claims@that have complained about having to do referrals while handling a claim. If you don't like sales then USAA is not for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

no more thank u for calling USAA in Texas

37 months ago

I want to share how peaceful I feel now that I am not working for USAA anymore. I do not regret my decision one bit! I even forget to take my breaks. New job doesn't feel like a job because it's not on the phone and there's such a small level of stress! I am really enjoying what I do now and I never thought job can feel like that. No dread going back there every morning either. I forget to look at the clock every second as well. I am glad I worked for USAA so I can find this job. If you have been hating it, you should really consider finding a new job. The downfalls are that I don't get 8% match :) oh, well.I'd rather be happy. Rolled by 401k over into my new employer's plan already (you guys don't forget to do that if you are leaving). I get less pay but it's enough. I now use ancient computer system and time report cards that you have to print and submit to your manager :) USAA systems are so much better!!! I miss that everything was in one place, on connect, easy. At my new job everything is in a bunch of different locations; it drives me crazy but again, that's not that important.:) I do miss that along with filtered water that I don't have now and water from the tap sucks at my new job. But again, I'd rather be happy waking up in the morning.I wish I could share what I do now but I am afraid I'd be recognized. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE and I am gonna go look at the insider website now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: The thing about USAA is that you will be pushing products as long as you are a phone rep. I have had friends in claims@that have complained about having to do referrals while handling a claim. If you don't like sales then USAA is not for you.

I don't doubt your comment but in my area, selling is limited to the phone reps. The field reps, if ever presented with sales referrals or quotas, can accomplish these goals with the stroke of a pen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I

ArtsyDodger ArtsyDodger in Norfolk, Virginia said: I don't doubt your comment but in my area, selling is limited to the phone reps. The field reps, if ever presented with sales referrals or quotas, can accomplish these goals with the stroke of a pen.

I did say phone rep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

phone robot in San Antonio, Texas

37 months ago

When I was in NMS most of my peers tried to get on with underwriting. You’re not glued to the phone trying to sell like the other customer contact areas; you only deal with the phone reps that need underwriting approval to issue a policy. My friends who are in underwriting love it. Yes you have meetings all the time but that's to be expected because of the industry changing all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I am lucky that I am in a primarily non-phone job otherwise I would have been fired by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Arizona

37 months ago

As you probably know USAA does a survey called UCount. Surprisingly enough (but not really) is that you don't count. A manager told my co-worker that they throw out the 1 and 2 scores because they are considered disgruntled employees. I have heard the way to get at your manager is to give 3s. The information is too late for this year and unfortunately I gave what I thought my boss really deserved which was a 1. I was told that they picked me out by process of elimination which I figured out would have been the case since we had less than 15 people in our department but I don't care. Also, if you choose not to answer a question they throw those out too. One of my co-workers chose not to answer 2 of the questions on management. So from now on if I am there still by the time of the next survey I will be sure to make all of the answers a 3.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I thought about it but it seemed really hard to get into u/w! Plus, I ultimately decided I don't want to be on the phone in any capacity (maybe I decided that after I realized it was too hard to get into u/w anyway...maybe they thought I am not "harsh" enough to make decisions they wanna be made)...they didn't take me into claims because they thought I came across too soft. It was all for the better! Look where I am now! At peace! Waking up every day and not dreading it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Wow, NOnefornow! IS that true? I know I was afraid to answer some questions about management....I also already said here that on the exit survey I replied mid-road about mngmnt and upper mngmnt. Now, how freaking pathetic is it that they want you to think you count and they do that to the answers!!! It's the same with customer phone surveys! They don't want customer leaving a bad comment! How true of a result then they get? Just to pat themselves on the back cause they get 98% satisfaction? Pathetic. That's all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Arizona

37 months ago

From what I am hearing it is true. I am going to check our scores and the average from the print out we were given to see if mine was taken out of it and how it was affected by one of my co-worker's choosing not to answer two of the questions. We have just over 10 employees in our unit and the results show how many people voted which way so you know that one person gave a 1 etc. A friend of mine that used to work there heard from a current co-worker of ours in a different office told her that they knew I gave a 1 and they knew who didn't answer the questions. They should just be given the overall score. They know who feels a certain way and can guess out of 10 to 15 people what people would probably reply to a certain question. This person was the one that said the manager told them they throw out the 1 and 2 responses. The thing that pisses me off is that I only gave a 1 related directly to the supervisor, one 2 and the rest were 3 to 5 so it is not like I just answered all of the questions with a 1. My manager got just over a 3 average last year and apparently didn't get their bonus so this year they decided they would brown nose us trying to get us to answer a certain way by saying that you're doing a great job and so now you were shown recognition the past week. I was told if I had given all 3s it would have been better because it wouldn't make me out to look like a "disengaged" employee and would still reflect badly on them. I will see what I can find out. They just want to make themselves look better by cheating on the survey results.

honestone in Bulverde, Texas

37 months ago

UCOUNT manipulation. The surveys aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I know a manager that actually made a spreadsheet pairing each of her team members (one-to-one) and instructing them that the person they were paired up with is now their "Best Friend". She then continued instructing the team that since everyone now has a best friend, they were to give the highest mark in that category on the UCOUNT survey. I kid you not (I was at the team meeting were she did it). I sent a note to Ethics with no reply. I also brought it up to my HR rep who laughed it off (Oh, those silly managers...).

I recently quit...I bet they drop off the survey scores for anyone that quits prior to putting the results out. That brings the remaining team members that were around for the survey down to only 4. So does my old mgr get a pass (less than 5 respondents). He drove everyone else off the team and the new reinforcements just were added.

37 months ago

I really wanted to see the results of the UCOUNT and was going to quit after the team meeting discussion. I waited for four weeks after management received the results and they never got around to it. Why was there such a delay to present some simple numbers? Because, the mgrs, directors, and AVP needed to meet and figure out how to slant and manipulate the numbers prior to lettiing the mgrs discuss them with their teams. Senior management is smart enought to not let their mgrs discuss anything with their teams with out coaching and telling them what to say first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I know I based my answers on the whole year and not just by what they tell you to kiss up to you right before the survey starts. I was the only one who gave a 1 and a 2 response. I did give some 3, 4 and 5s but I was honest with my answers. Oh well, that tells me shat good it did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Honestone, congrats on leaving! :) it takes some courage, for sure. Did you find another job?

I can't believe that USAA can do this....I am still kinda believing it's a good company....is it that hard to stay afloat now that they have to forge the results of ucount and customer sat surveys? Very very crazy, Nonfornow

I gave bad comments and ratings on "best company to work for". It was extremely hillarious when I already knew I was leaving but didn't give my 2 weeks yet, this email comes in with invitation. Told nothing but the truth after 2 weeks were almost over despite the fact it said it's confidential, you just never know with these guys.

I still believe in my heart comp is good....reps that are working there are working so hard! I wonder how many of them really really really enjoy what they do (phone reps that is)? I am glad that nightmare is over. Still can't stop commenting on Geico and others advertising multi-policy discounts and all other common discounts like they are the only ones offering them :) See a lot of USAA commercials in prime time ....cannot be cheap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EP77 in Bulverde, Texas

37 months ago

No More: Yes, believe it. A current employee told me that they filled out a manager survey earlier this year and they put that they could not really communicate well with the manager because he was not approachable..something to that effect. The survey had the useless "confidential" stamp on it, but that did not stop the manager from confronting this employee as they passed his desk. They told me that he asked point blank "Did you write this?" and he kept pressing on until the employee told him yes, they wrote it. Of course, the employee did nothing because it is futile since HR is full of mindless drones and Ethics is just a department created so they can just say they have an ethics department.

37 months ago

no more thank u for calling USAA in Texas said: Honestone, congrats on leaving! :) it takes some courage, for sure. Did you find another job?

- Thanks...no other job yet. I'll be living off savings for a while. I actually don't think USAA is a "bad" company and is probabably better overall than others. I would love to work at USAA in another capacity, where I would not be exposed to the comedy that occurs in the call center. Unfortunately for most of us on this message board (Phone Reps, MSR's, etc.)...I firmly believe (proven by facts and observations) that the MX-Financial Foundations-Property & Casualty section of USAA is broken and poorly managed. There is a disqualifier to my statement...that is IF the senior executives of USAA actually hold the MX area to the same core values as the rest of the company...maybe they don't. The senior execs most likely turn a blind eye to whatever happens under the MX-FF leadership as long as they are increasing productivity. If you are sitting in the CEO seat and your VPs are telling you what you want to hear, then you most likely will assume it is all Great! I worked in a represive environment with management retaliation and retribution if you gave ANY constructive criticism. I decided my ethics and integrity to always "Do the Right Thing..." and to "Go above..." were in direct conflict with my management whose primary concern was to "hit the numbers" in regard to sales and low Aux & ACW time. I truly know what it means to serve...my opinion was that my manager truly knows what it means to serve himself (furthering his career at the expense of poor customer service).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

One good thing about my quitting, after several decades of being a loyal USAA member with a full portfolio of products, I just saved 10% on my overall Insurance portfolio with AAA (Auto, Home, Umbrella, VPP) AND will get my Subscriber Account balance back in six months. Previously I never quoted with another company due to my complete loyalty (continuous since the mid 80s). Funny...I thought my tenure and having other products with USAA (i.e. Investments, Banking, Life Ins. etc) would have placed me in the absolute best premium category. Oh well. USAA was highly competitive though(easily beat Progressive, Allstate, Farmers, Nationwide, etc)...but AAA beat everyone out overall (GEICO was hands down the lowest premium for just Auto...but they farm out their Homeowners and that was way too high).
-As an "Association " with supposedly select membership, USAA should not be "highly" competitive...they should be flat out the Lowest Premium provider for their members (used to be that way prior to 1996). Unless the association can do that for their members, then the CEO shouldn't be earning the approx $7 Million that he pulled in last year. Who knows what the rest of the senior execs earned (after all it is a secret and USAA won't even let the member-owners know). Somewhere along the line, USAA became more about making as much $$$ as possible and the top brass enjoying the fruits of the success. Senior exec bonuses are not the same as the lowly worker at USAA and certain IMCO employees also have different bonus structures as well...in contrast to what the MSRs routinely tell our members..."none of us are on commission so we have your best interest at heart...".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

EP77 in Bulverde, Texas said: No More: Yes, believe it. A current employee told me that they filled out a manager survey earlier this year and they put that they could not really communicate well with the manager because he was not approachable..something to that effect. The survey had the useless "confidential" stamp on it, but that did not stop the manager from confronting this employee as they passed his desk. They told me that he asked point blank "Did you write this?" and he kept pressing on until the employee told him yes, they wrote it. Of course, the employee did nothing because it is futile since HR is full of mindless drones and Ethics is just a department created so they can just say they have an ethics department.

It must have been a different survey then because the UCount survey is stricly rated 1 to 5 with no option to write anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in San antonio in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

37 months ago

Has anyone used mediation services at USAA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 years down the drain in Suffolk, Virginia

36 months ago

Jobseeker in San antonio in Buffalo Grove, Illinois said: Has anyone used mediation services at USAA

I attempted to use them after being denied my short/long-term disability coverage. They said they did not handle ERISA issues and I'd have to sue them if I wanted to pursue my BENEFIT.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

EP77 in Bulverde, Texas

36 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: It must have been a different survey then because the UCount survey is stricly rated 1 to 5 with no option to write anything.

It wasn't the UCount survey. I mentioned it was a manager feedback survey done in that person's unit, which was supposed to be anonymous. I didn't ask if it was only their unit or if it was the MST, etc. All I know is, if something is confidential, then a manager should not press/harass someone to get information from them. I don't know why they waste their time doing those things. I remember doing something similar and it was the most idiotic idea ever. Nothing got resolved and it only makes the manager resentful if reps are honest with constructive criticism. The maangement can dish it out but they can't take it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Honestone, how right you are about "we're not on commission speech". We still have our stats and referral results to worry about and, since recently, sales results too when it comes to PS. So....did I try to solicit a transfer to MAS or renters insurance quote that I CAN DO right there? Very interesting conversation. I thought about AAA too but they don't have as high of a fin ratings as USAA. Plus, as many times as I got quotes from other companies, USAA premiums for us are still better than anywhere else. We do have everything with them. Plus, knowing what reps are expected to do on the phone, makes me feel good being a member myself. Or remaining a member.

Jobseeker, only recently when I watched a special on many companies now making employees sign "mediation" stuff and waving their rights for a trial...I realized I signed that with USAA. Apperently, the companies that practice this, have a special mediator who (obviously) would want repeat biz from the company he works for....apparently , mediation trials get resolved in 90% of the situations in favor of the employer. It's all rigged. I really never thought of it until I saw that special about it. And USAA makes every single new employee sign that stuff otherwise you can't work there. Very common now, apperently, with every sort of business and even cell phone companies, banks etc use these.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Ok, I am so sick of the United Way campaign that I cannot wait til when it is over on Friday. We are a smaller department and they have said how many employees haven't participated yet even though they say they don't know who the individuals are which I think they do. I did put in a donation although it is not the individual contribution of 327.00 that they would like us to meet. Employees are put through the wringer and they lay guilt trips on people to make them contribute. Even though it is a good cause it really should be up to the individual if they choose to participate or not. They even offered 5 minutes of aux time for people to go in and make their contribution. Enough is enough already!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Stresses out, I always felt that they pushed United Way too much but did appreciate casual wear (now that I can only wear jeans on Fridays and Saturdays :) ). You see....is it really a proper way to make people contribute? Tell them you'd get casual wear all the time? But I guess it works. I remember last year they were saying that no contribution is too small. Then I wrote a check for maybe 10 or 15 $ (I never allowed them to take it out of my pay) and then 1 day later I got email that "most employees contribute this much" which is %$^#$%. Don't tell me even 1$ feeds a family yet send me giuilty trip emails day later. Unbelievable. Although having these united way gatherings off the phone and staff was nice...nice to get away from the phone. But I was thinking today when I was driving home that boy oh boy how much I don't miss working there. Such a relief.

36 months ago

I chose to support the charities of my choice and donate regularly. I could never agree with supporting United Way in spite of their good work because basically, a portion of your donation goes into the pockets of the middlemen running the organization. It's like handing out food to the hungry but before the food gets to their mouths, a fat person takes out a bite for themselves. I would rather have 100% of my donation go directly to the cause I select.

In my 18 years at USAA, I have never donated any money to United Way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

no more thank u for calling USAA in Texas said: Stresses out, I always felt that they pushed United Way too much but did appreciate casual wear (now that I can only wear jeans on Fridays and Saturdays :) ). You see....is it really a proper way to make people contribute? Tell them you'd get casual wear all the time? But I guess it works. I remember last year they were saying that no contribution is too small. Then I wrote a check for maybe 10 or 15 $ (I never allowed them to take it out of my pay) and then 1 day later I got email that "most employees contribute this much" which is %$^#$%. Don't tell me even 1$ feeds a family yet send me giuilty trip emails day later. Unbelievable. Although having these united way gatherings off the phone and staff was nice...nice to get away from the phone. But I was thinking today when I was driving home that boy oh boy how much I don't miss working there. Such a relief.

I always gave 1.00 per pay period just to say I participated and because I wanted casual dress otherwise I would have to go buy a bunch on new clothes which would be a lot more money. Now the bare minimum is 26.00 per year. 98% participation gets 6 months of casual dress and $327 average will get another 6 months. I am so glad this past 2 weeks is now over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Liberated in October 2006 in San Antonio, Texas

36 months ago

Jobseeker in San antonio in Buffalo Grove, Illinois said: Has anyone used mediation services at USAA

Yes I did, if you are referring to the Dialogue program. Totally useless. Despite 2 senior executives going to bat for me and putting their jobs in jeopardy, I still didn't get what I was asking for, which wasn't much. Just the ability to work there as a contractor. I would spend energy in more positive places if I were you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in San antonio in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

36 months ago

Liberated in October 2006 in San Antonio, Texas said: Yes I did, if you are referring to the Dialogue program. Totally useless. Despite 2 senior executives going to bat for me and putting their jobs in jeopardy, I still didn't get what I was asking for, which wasn't much. Just the ability to work there as a contractor. I would spend energy in more positive places if I were you.

I was thinking of using outside mediation or binding arbitration through AAA. Did you pursue these avenues?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HonestOne in Bulverde, Texas

36 months ago

I received my notice of the USAA Annual Meeting of the Members to be held 19 November...at the FOUR SEASONS in Dallas (last year it was at the RITZ CARLTON in Wash D.C. if I remember correctly). Why in the world does the Association need to be putting out these type of big bucks (paid by the members) to hold a "rubber stamp" meeting in a luxury venue. I bet Joe will need to fire up the Gulfstream to make the arduous trip up to Dallas. I JUST DON'T GET IT? DOESN"T ANYONE CARE? There are FIVE Nominees for FIVE slots on the board of directors election (3 incumbents and 2 new)...guess there is no competition! They were already "approved" by the sitting directors. The vote will just be a formality. USAA has conditioned the membership to "blind trust" and not ask any questions.

36 months ago

Well they sure know how to pressure you. Even when I put in my pledge I still felt pressured to do more. I gave the max I could to get dollar for dollar tax credit in my state. It is like donating for free and I get casual dress. They know how many reps in their area didn't contribute which I think should be personal and confidential.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

disgruntled phone jockey in San Antonio, Texas

36 months ago

Increase in medical premiums
While USAA will continue to pay the lion’s share of your medical premiums in 2012,
the percentage employees are responsible for covering will increase. That increase,
coupled with the continued rise of health care costs throughout the U.S., means
your medical premium will increase between $6.25 and $23.75 per paycheck next
year depending on your level of coverage. Thanks to USAA’s wellness program and
the efforts of many employees to improve and maintain their good health, these
increases are much lower than they could have been.

Reduction in Personal Care Account (PCA) contributions
USAA is reducing its annual PCA contributions by 25 percent. The table below
shows current and 2012 PCA contributions:
Current 2012
$1,000 for You Only $750 for You Only
$2,000 for You + 1 $1,500 for You + 1
$3,000 for You + 2 or more $2,250 for You + 2 or more

36 months ago

Medical opt-out credit is being eliminated
Employees who choose to decline medical coverage and enroll in the “Preventive
Only” benefit will no longer receive $1,000 for opting out of the Medical Care
Program. However, if you earn 1,000 Healthy Points by Nov. 30 and decline medical
coverage for 2012, you will receive $310.70 (instead of a medical premium discount)divided among your 26 paychecks

We must be good stewards of our members’ resources – now more than ever. As CEO Joe Robles
noted during the September Employee Meeting, the challenging economy, increasing regulatory requirements
and a record year for catastrophes require each of us to ‘go above’ and be especially good stewards
of our members’ resources – so USAA can serve more members and meet more needs.
Our benefits program is out of sync with the market. Part of being a good steward of our resources
means making sure our benefits program is competitive with the market. During the past several years,
most employers have made cuts to their employee benefits, particularly their medical benefits. To hold
down rising medical costs, employers have increased plan deductibles, changed their coinsurance
percentage (from paying 90 percent after the deductible to paying 80 or even 70 percent, for example),
and increased the cost for prescription drugs. USAA has not followed suit, and we now find ourselves
greatly out of sync with the rest of the market. The changes mentioned above bring us closer to the
market. However, even with the premium adjustments for 2012, USAA employees will still only pay a
fraction of the total premium cost. And in return, you get medical coverage that provides a much better
benefit than most plans, thanks to lower deductibles, less out-of-pocket expense for prescription drugs,
a generous PCA contribution, and lower out-of-pocket maximums.

but meanwhile we have our meetings at high end resorts or hotels.

36 months ago

We must be good stewards of our members’ resources – now more than ever. As CEO Joe Robles
noted during the September Employee Meeting, the challenging economy, increasing regulatory requirements
and a record year for catastrophes require each of us to ‘go above’ and be especially good stewards
of our members’ resources – so USAA can serve more members and meet more needs.
Our benefits program is out of sync with the market. Part of being a good steward of our resources
means making sure our benefits program is competitive with the market. During the past several years,
most employers have made cuts to their employee benefits, particularly their medical benefits. To hold
down rising medical costs, employers have increased plan deductibles, changed their coinsurance
percentage (from paying 90 percent after the deductible to paying 80 or even 70 percent, for example),
and increased the cost for prescription drugs. USAA has not followed suit, and we now find ourselves
greatly out of sync with the rest of the market. The changes mentioned above bring us closer to the
market. However, even with the premium adjustments for 2012, USAA employees will still only pay a
fraction of the total premium cost. And in return, you get medical coverage that provides a much better
benefit than most plans, thanks to lower deductibles, less out-of-pocket expense for prescription drugs,
a generous PCA contribution, and lower out-of-pocket maximums.

but meanwhile we have our meeting at high end resorts or hotels.

36 months ago

Alot of the reason employers are increasing the portion employees pay is due to the uncertainty of Obamacare. We need to get rid of that so our premiums don't go even higher.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

CorporateHate in San Antonio, Texas said: Man, I've heard a lot of resentment about USAA's reduction in benefits. That WAS bound to happen, considering the recession. They are still getting hit hard. Just be glad you still have jobs. I've heard of more recent cuts happening lately (forced retirements and firings, basically).

I love how my take home pay will decrease,while General Joe's pay increased by 3 million bucks. 10 to 1 USAA will try to spin the changes on the new benefits screen that my overall pay went up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

disgruntled phone jockey in San Antonio, Texas said: I love how my take home pay will decrease,while General Joe's pay increased by 3 million bucks. 10 to 1 USAA will try to spin the changes on the new benefits screen that my overall pay went up.

I find it hard to believe that there are people who follow our comments,are happy the CEO's pay is increasing and the general worker's pay is decreasing. Are those of you who disagree with me,happy the rich are getting richer on the backs of the middle class?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

TooTiredToSell in Tampa, Florida

36 months ago

The rich have always become richer or simply maintained their wealth on the backs of the middle class and/or the poor and this has taken place on a worldwide basis ever since humanity stumbled into view. Other classless societies have been attempted and Communism was the ultimate failed frontrunner.

Am I happy with it? Actually, I don't care because I don't judge my economic or social status on either the wealth or poverty of others. My lot is my own and of my own doing and if I had 10 or even 50 million in my portfolio, I would be no more or less satisfied.

Accept who you are and what you have or change it. I guarantee this forum will not get you where you want to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I

CorporateHate in San Antonio, Texas said: Spoken like a true Tea Party candidate.

I am a Tea Party supporter. It sure beats socialism. It does take the people with money to hire people. Look where Obama put us now. He cannot keep blaming Bush anymore. 2012 will be the year for the Tea Party and Republican candidates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

EP77 in Bulverde, Texas

36 months ago

I knew it...stressed is a teabagger that doesn't know what socialism really is. How original. All democracies are socialist to a point so if you scream democracy, then you are also part socialist. And, thanks to all of your candidates messing everything up in Nov 2010 and giving us gridlock instead of progressing for a year. THAT is the problem, along with 30+ years of Reaganomics that have stomped on the middle class ever since. This is close to being a freakin oligarchy because of him. Yes, there will and have to be wealthy people, but only having poor and rich is not healthy for a nation. It creates domestic turmoil (ex: Mexico, Middle East). The legislative branch has more power than the executive and our legislative branch stinks of old tea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

EP77 in Bulverde, Texas said: I knew it...stressed is a teabagger that doesn't know what socialism really is. How original. All democracies are socialist to a point so if you scream democracy, then you are also part socialist. And, thanks to all of your candidates messing everything up in Nov 2010 and giving us gridlock instead of progressing for a year. THAT is the problem, along with 30+ years of Reaganomics that have stomped on the middle class ever since. This is close to being a freakin oligarchy because of him. Yes, there will and have to be wealthy people, but only having poor and rich is not healthy for a nation. It creates domestic turmoil (ex: Mexico, Middle East). The legislative branch has more power than the executive and our legislative branch stinks of old tea.

usaa and all corp are going to abuse their workers to make the board or the stockholders happy. the corp want loyalty from the workers but gives them as little of the pie as possible. what I was trying to say is why should the board and gen. joe's share increase while my share gets smaller. to the republics and the democrats, they only ones they care about are those who can give to their war chests. they want my parents eating catfood and when I get their age if I am lucky begging for garbage. bob took my pension saying usaa could not afford it and the tea party is running my 401k into the ground.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TooTiredToSell in Norfolk, Virginia

35 months ago

CorporateHate in San Antonio, Texas said: Spoken like a true Tea Party candidate.

Not really. A Teabagger would have said something like, "You've lost your job and it's your fault so 'Tough Luck' you pathetic minion."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Obermeister in Reedville, Texas

35 months ago

TooTiredToSell in Norfolk, Virginia said: Not really. A Teabagger would have said something like, "You've lost your job and it's your fault so 'Tough Luck' you pathetic minion."

That's pretty much what Cain said about the Wall St protestors. It really amusing in that Herman Cain is paradoxically the GOP's, 'Great White Hope'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

EP77 in Bulverde, Texas said: I knew it...stressed is a teabagger that doesn't know what socialism really is. How original. All democracies are socialist to a point so if you scream democracy, then you are also part socialist. And, thanks to all of your candidates messing everything up in Nov 2010 and giving us gridlock instead of progressing for a year. THAT is the problem, along with 30+ years of Reaganomics that have stomped on the middle class ever since. This is close to being a freakin oligarchy because of him. Yes, there will and have to be wealthy people, but only having poor and rich is not healthy for a nation. It creates domestic turmoil (ex: Mexico, Middle East). The legislative branch has more power than the executive and our legislative branch stinks of old tea.

November 2010 happened for a reason. People are sick of Obama and the way he is destroying the country. Instead of lowering taxes he wants to increase taxes which will definately stall the job market and make the sotck markets take even more of a nose dive. Obama would rather give 535 million of tax payer money to Solyndra which never had ba chance to bein with. He coud have given that much in tax cuts and had a better result. I am sure that when the Republican win the White House and. Senate back you will see things turn around for the positive. I suport Herman Cain. He has run various businesses and knows what it takes to create job. People are sick of Obama's" hope and change". There is a reason why various seats that were predominately Democratic in the past are now held by Republicans and there is a reason why the election of NNovember 2010 saw an overwhelming support for the Republocans which caused them to win the House and it is call Obama's failed plicies and lack of leadership. You will see that the Republican candidate will take the White House back and hopefully the Senate as well. Ameica cannot afford 4 more years of Obama.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

USAA Flu in Renton, Washington

35 months ago

Funny this is the same Herman Cain that is labeled the Godfather Pizza savior. He cut the Godfather stores down to 400 stores from 900+. I think the idea is to create jobs not to cut jobs to say you are successful in the political arena. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that cutting stores boost the numbers on paper. He was only the CEO of Godfathers for 4 years in the early 90s. DO you see a Godfathers Pizza place around anymore? A successful leader is one that propagates success of everyone around them not to cut them down and also to create long standing success. Herman Cain cut and ran. He got his bonus by cutting several hundred jobs. It is funny everyone talks about high taxes and how it will affect jobs. We had some of the highest tax rates in the US during the Reagan years. The economy still grew. Funny that.

Obermeister in Norfolk, Virginia

35 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: . There is a reason why various seats that were predominately Democratic in the past are now held by Republicans and there is a reason why the election of NNovember 2010 saw an overwhelming support for the Republocans which caused them to win the House and it is call Obama's failed plicies and lack of leadership. .

Yes, there is a reason and it's called the fickle uninformed mindset of a gullible populace that seeks short term solutions to long term problems. Politicians stand on their soapbox and promise to solve everything quickly while blaming the other side. What is truly sad is how they keep getting into office.

We deserve the government we elect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   92  93  94  95  96  97  98  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.