What's the company culture at USAA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4751 to 4800 of 4811)
Page:  « First « Previous   93  94  95  96  97  Next »   Last »

joey1127 in Sacramento, California

42 months ago

I would take the job with Nationwide before USAA. USAA services the Military and as such, they are all about cutting costs and saving money for their members. Nationwide would be a better route I think. After all you've read, I think going to USAA would be not too smart!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

need to make a decision asap in San Antonio, Texas

42 months ago

joey1127 in Sacramento, California said: I would take the job with Nationwide before USAA. USAA services the Military and as such, they are all about cutting costs and saving money for their members. Nationwide would be a better route I think. After all you've read, I think going to USAA would be not too smart!

Thanks Joey I definitely will :)

Reply - Report abuse

need to make a decision asap in San Antonio, Texas

42 months ago

joey1127 in Sacramento, California said: I would take the job with Nationwide before USAA. USAA services the Military and as such, they are all about cutting costs and saving money for their members. Nationwide would be a better route I think. After all you've read, I think going to USAA would be not too smart!

I spoke with human resource from usaa today. According to that person after the assignment is completed in September they will be hiring 40% of the seasonal employees permanently. I am surprise that they are willing to hire Seasonal employees who are now getting into the system permanently when they are others who are with the company for years and they never offer them a permanent position.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

OhThankGawd in Virginia Beach, Virginia

40 months ago

joey1127 in Sacramento, California said: Yeah, and I have ocean front poperty to sell you in lovely Nevada! When I interviewed for the Policy Service Advisor job, they told me over and over again that it was not like a " call center " but more of a service environment. Boy was that wrong. It was a DAMN in-bound call center with sales goals for what were suposed to be Policy Service Advisors. I would not even work for USAA. What a bad experience that was. If you like to kiss ass and play BS head games and stab your co-workers in the back, it's not a bad place to work. The mangers were the most useless collection of dead-weight I had ever dealt with. HR was even more of a joke at the Sacramento office (now closed. shocker)

Thank you for a perfect response!

Reply - Report abuse

-indeedhost in Austin, Texas

40 months ago

Hello, You may post anonymously - but we reserve the right to remove inappropriate comments at any time. Please adhere to these two rules: 1. Be respectful, reasonable and relevant. Don't post anything nonsensical, vulgar, disruptive, untrue, or irrelevant. If you're not sure if your comment is a meaningful contribution, do not post it. - Indeed Host

Reply - Report abuse

Dmecula in Va Beach, Virginia

40 months ago

Paranoia, thy name is conservative.

Reply - Report abuse

OhThankGawd in Virginia Beach, Virginia

39 months ago

nonefornow in Arizona said: It is funny people are talking about this now. They want input from employees on how to stop wmployees from quitting in the first year. They have 45% turnover rate foe first yeae employees and want employee feedback on what they can do to prove retention.

They can downsize 50% of managers and stop micromanaging hard working employees. In the meantime, we are doing what they did not expect. We are talking with our feet and leaving "at will." USAA has forgotten that employees can also fire the boss! This is what happens when you get too big for your pants Joey! Now go get your shine box!

Reply - Report abuse

joey1127 in North Highlands, California

39 months ago

OhThankGawd in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: This is what happens when you get too big for your pants Joey! Now go get your shine box!

...you're telling USAA Management to go get their Shine Box? See, that would indicate that USAA management works and I would have to sort of...well, no.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Tom1976 in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

Hello,

A few questions I was hoping someone would not mind answering.

First, do USAA employees receive a discount on USAA services, such as insurance?

Secondly, I understand that salaried employees earn a yearly bonus that is a % of their salary, but I have heard of another bonus or two, and was hoping to get a few details/specifics on those if they do in fact exist.

Thank you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

delltravis in Dallas, Texas

39 months ago

Here's the scoop on bonuses for management, excluding senior management.

We receive the same percentage bonus as regular employees but since our saleries are usually higher, we enjoy a much larger piece of the pie plus our bonus is padded so as to render it virtually tax free.

As we exit monthly management meetings, each of us are casually handed an envelope of cash in recognition and praise of specific goals we have achieved toward maintaining our exemplary employee morale. Specific monatary amounts are based on morale charts we secretly create and maintain for our specific area. Employee input is strictly discouraged as it tends to reduce our monthly bonus and that reduces our morale.

All cafeteria purchases made through our employee ID cards are totally reimbursed to us at the end of the month. This is made possible via the Regular Employee Subsidy Program that incorporates a charge back feature that basically increases the upfront cost of all food/beverage sales made by other employees. You have our gratitude of course.

Lastly, we do not have any copayment on perscription drug purchases as our daily drugs are supplied by the company as we enter the building as a method allowing us to cope with endless employee droning, grousing and grumbling.

Now, here's the good news and the sad news.

The good news is: none of the above is true.

The sad news . . . so many of you wanted to be believe it was true.

Reply - Report abuse

Janetta Purifoy in New Braunfels, Texas

39 months ago

Tom1976 in Austin, Texas said: Hello,

A few questions I was hoping someone would not mind answering.

First, do USAA employees receive a discount on USAA services, such as insurance ?

Secondly, I understand that salaried employees earn a yearly bonus that is a % of their salary, but I have heard of another bonus or two, and was hoping to get a few details/specifics on those if they do in fact exist.

Thank you.

It's not just salaried employees but all usaa employees (full time and part time) are eligible for the yearly bonus. ( I believe seasonal employees are not though). And it will be a percentage of whatever you made for the previous year. So it's not based on your actually salary but what you actually made. Since I started in September my bonus was calculated on only the pay I made form sept-dec but it still came out to like $1200 after taxes so no complaints.

Holiday bonus comes in December and it is equal to two weeks worth of pay if you have been there for a year. Employees hired within that year only get a portion. I started in September and they awarded my bonus at 8 hours of overtime pay. (Still a few hundred bucks so no complaints there either. Extra money for me).

Employees don't get discounts on insurance or other usaa products.

Reply - Report abuse

disguntledphonejockeyinsanantonio in San Antonio, Texas

39 months ago

Dell Travis in Dallas, Texas said: Here's the scoop on bonuses for management, excluding senior management.

We receive the same percentage bonus as regular employees but since our saleries are usually higher, we enjoy a much larger piece of the pie plus our bonus is padded so as to render it virtually tax free.

As we exit monthly management meetings, each of us are casually handed an envelope of cash in recognition and praise of specific goals we have achieved toward maintaining our exemplary employee morale. Specific monatary amounts are based on morale charts we secretly create and maintain for our specific area. Employee input is strictly discouraged as it tends to reduce our monthly bonus and that reduces our morale.

All cafeteria purchases made through our employee ID cards are totally reimbursed to us at the end of the month. This is made possible via the Regular Employee Subsidy Program that incorporates a charge back feature that basically increases the upfront cost of all food/beverage sales made by other employees. You have our gratitude of course.

Lastly, we do not have any copayment on perscription drug purchases as our daily drugs are supplied by the company as we enter the building as a method allowing us to cope with endless employee droning, grousing and grumbling.

Now, here's the good news and the sad news.

The good news is: none of the above is true.

The sad news . . . so many of you wanted to be believe it was true.

I bet the higher exectives eat free in B building. I would totally forgo my bonus to be paid more hourly instead of being raped by the IRS every Feb. Raises in this company are a joke, my prev employer I would automaticly get a raise every 6 months and it would be at least 10%. at USAA you are lucky to get 3%, but most get under 2% a year.

Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

disguntled phone jockey in san antonio in San Antonio, Texas said: I bet the higher exectives eat free in B building. I would totally forgo my bonus to be paid more hourly instead of being raped by the IRS every Feb. Raises in this company are a joke, my prev employer I would automaticly get a raise every 6 months and it would be at least 10%. at USAA you are lucky to get 3%, but most get under 2% a year.

now the higher ups want those with seniority to work Saturday's to appease the new hires who are whining since they have to work weekends, they have no life. instead of appeasing these individuals to get them to stay beyond the first year, why hire them in the first place. with my seniority, I should not have to work any Saturdays as there are enough people below me to carry the load.

Reply - Report abuse

Mysterion in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

Right, if someone's been there like 15 years you're just a punching bag to take advantage of. After all the crap they've pulled over the years and you're still there, what are you going to do, leave? Probably not.

Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

phone monkey in San Antonio, Texas said: dude your a phone monkey, nobody cares about your seniority. I work at USAA and your probably one of those 30yr tenured phone reps. For that, you should get you LESS seniority, its pathetic.

but my seniority shows i am here to work not some kid who wants to look good and not do any work. i don't care if you have a life if you are a new hire. you should be prepared to work and not worry if you can make happy hour. seniority shows experience and knowledge, something the new hires will never have, as they want everything handed to them.

Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Seniority in a call center position, to a lot of people, shows a lack of drive and ambition. That's where retail cashiers end up once they've dropped out of Phoenix online college.

Reply - Report abuse

BenjaminCuruthers in California

36 months ago

nonefornow in Arizona said: Stuart Parker has been officially named the next CEO . He will start in February when Joe Roblesretires.

Welcome the new boss. Same as the old boss.

Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

It's not sales, it's "building relationships". We don't have "quotas" but if you don't consistently perform at a certain level you'll be fired. You should be thankful they even allow AUX 3 time to piss in between breaks.

Reply - Report abuse

Analyst in Austin, Texas

24 months ago

USAA makes big promises to one another only to find their incisive analytics and apparent talent evaporate like the smokescreen of promises USAA made to them. My last few weeks were spent training my replacement for my manager so that he had talking heads and dumbed-down reports.so a layoff was expected.
I regret not telling our new hires that they should expect VP call early on Saturday mornings and expect to answer questions without my business computer and data in front on them. I failed to warn the newbies that our VPs would be verbally abusive and downright vindictive when “analysts” could not answer a data question off the top of my head.
USAA isn’t all hacks and yes (wo)men. Most of my ex-analyst colleagues who fill the executive ranks are white males. Because USAA execs and their internal HR customer liaisons had hush money and job security the lack of responsive HR reporting caused them no job loss.
In the end, USAA will be a minor player in insurance and financing not because they don’t “Know What it means to Serve”, but because USAA doesn’t “Know What is Meaningful” to their internal customers, their employees, nor their members.

Reply - Report abuse

rog george33245 in Norfolk, Virginia

24 months ago

I agree with the above and would further say that USAA hasn't known what is meaningful to their employees for at least 2 decades. It's sad really when you consider what USAA once enjoyed when compared to their competition. Today, USAA continues to attain high ranks among customers but I suspect that ranking is relative to poor performance established by the competition but if you grade on the curve, the satisfaction chart appears much better.

Reply - Report abuse

Toby (Kunta Kinte) in San Antonio, Texas

23 months ago

The following is my personal first amendment Freedom of Speech opinion and does not reflect the views of any other person or company, nor does it reflect the views of USAA (Master Waller). USAA talks out of their buttcheeks about doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do. However; you will find out after working there for a short time that doing the right thing will always get you in hot water. Most managers there are looking out for themselves and their cushy jobs and don't really care about their employees. You're supposed to memorize the functions of your job and the employee handbook front to back because if you make even 1 mistake that's a violation of your job functions and expectations, you are on your way to termination. If you are completely effective and capable of performing your job functions, but you don't comply with "the USAA way" 100% of the time, expect to be canned. Your education, professional experience, designations and licensing doesn't matter at USAA because everyone who isn't a CSM is considered a "call-center employee" aka Phone Operator. Many 20+ year tenured Claim Examiners are treated this way! If the phone rings, you MUST answer it as USAA is Master Waller and you are Toby. USAA will drive the Kunta Kinte out of you (Respect to Alex Haley). The salary, benefits, perks, etc are really nice; but it isn't worth knowing that you'll never work a scheduled 40 hour week; you're being monitored and recorded at all times; and god forbid you let a phone call intentionally go to voicemail. Well, then you're the Devil incarnate, immoral, and have serious conduct issues. Apply or don't apply; that's your decision; not mine. I personally regret accepting a position at USAA. Had I known I would be treated as an entry-level high school phone jockey, I would never have wasted MY talent here.

Reply - Report abuse

Beachlife in Georgia

22 months ago

I applied toCustomer Sales and Service Representative-Auto Insurance Job *CROSSTOWN OFFICE and Real Estate processor and I have several years customer service,like a few years call center experience and few years sales experience.I am relocating and wanted to know my chances of being selected for either position I just put in for last week?I also used linked in to contact recruiter. I would love advice!What's the pay,training like and what's the difference between the positions I applied for?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Arizona

22 months ago

Where are you relocating to? The Phoenix office is expanding and San Antonio may be an option.. I am not sure about the other offices. The pay range for these particular jobs start at about $30k a year. They tend to start at the beginning of the pay range for new employees. Training is typically a week of New Employee Orientation and then about 8 weeks of classroom training. If your job requires a license they will give you 40 hours of study time at work to prepare for the test. You have two attempts to pass it. If you don't pass it you could be terminated. It is a high stress call center and sales environment. If it has only been a week I wouldn't worry. You will need to complete a background check and urinalysis along with interviewing which may be one or two interviews. Hope that helps.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Beachlife in Georgia

22 months ago

The tampa locations are what I applied to

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Beachlife in Georgia

22 months ago

Toby (Kunta Kinte) in San Antonio, Texas thanks I am relocating to Tampa,Florida.I was offered a position with another company pay to low $14.43hr I can't make it off that I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck.I currently have worked in two call centers one involved sales and stress and in my current position I have high stress and high quote with inbound and outbound calls.Are both positions I applied for within the call center?Will I get time outside of work to study for license for less distraction?How hard is this test that I get attempts on?Can I start studying for it at the very beginning of training for more time?I currently have no ties or family.I have Associate degree.By me reaching out to recruitment better my chances?Thanks again for your previous response any help is truly appreciated.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Beachlife in Georgia

22 months ago

I made a mistake nonefornow in Arizona thank you for some reason wrong name came up my apologies thanks for your response.The above responses was for you!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

usaa terminated me in Colorado Springs, Colorado

13 months ago

mar in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I've only been in Colorado for 3 years, and worked for USAA for 2 1/2 years before being terminated this past January. USAA had no reason to terminate me and used "call quality" as the sole reason. My husband and I have been loyal and active members of USAA for 10 years and now I have a bad taste in my mouth when I think of how USAA did me wrong. I'm wondering if there is a lawyer here in the Springs who would take on USAA.

I am wondering the same thing since I was just terminated for the same reason. If you would be so kind to let me know what you found out or contact myself since I will be speaking to a lawyer. Thank you

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

usaa terminated me in Colorado Springs, Colorado

13 months ago

mar in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Dear Watching: I worked for USAA for 2 1/2 years, was ME at the end of 2008. My manager started in on me in June 2009 with the bullying, intimidation, etc. During that time, I became continually depressed, had stomach problems, chest pressure, etc. At the end of 2009, she put me on a Verbal disciplanary action due to my 'Referrals" not meeting USAA guidelines. I became so depressed that I had to take FMLA from January 22nd until April 15. When I got back, my manager was relentless in continuing my Verbal status. I feared that she was going to put me on Final, so I went to HR . I did not receive any kind of empathy. I was placed on Final October 2010 with a "deadline" of January 10, 2011. I was asked to report to HR by my manager at about 2:30pm that day, clueless as what was to come. I was told that I would be terminated effective that day due to "poor performance". I knew that couldn't be. Were you ever able to get a group together to file a class action suit?

I would like to know if you have any further information since this was exactly what happened to myself. Could you email me?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Bryan, Texas

12 months ago

usaa terminated me in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I would like to know if you have any further information since this was exactly what happened to myself. Could you email me?

Spoke to an attorney. I was a longtime employee who experienced the same type of bullying and lies that you did, specifically in the Colorado Springs office. This was reported to HR on many occasions, and they do not care. I believe it is the head of HR that is responsible. Make sure you go to the same church as the head of HR who promotes his friends. Once you use FMLA, they try and get rid of you. I worked my ___s for the company and had more than solid performance but my manager harassed me into taking anxiety drugs. USAA builds themselves up, and the managers, that they can do no wrong, so no lawyers want to touch them. The laws in Colorado allow them to treat someone however they please. I wish I had better news, but I had to let it go. What goes around comes around, and they will have their day. Would love it if there were an article in The Gazzette on how they treat their employees.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

usaa terminated me in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I would like to know if you have any further information since this was exactly what happened to myself. Could you email me?

Sadly, a class action law suit is not likely to succeed because most employment is AT WILL. When I was hired at USAA in Sacramento as a Policy Service Advisor, there was an entire class with me. All of us were told how this was not like a "call Centre" and how we were going to be servicing and providing support on Auto Policies for USAA Customers. What they DID NOT tell us was that it was more of an in-bound sales call centrer and there were sales goals and performance objectives related to how many calls we answered that we had to achieve or we would be given an occurrence and it would count against us.

After one of my co-workers was termed for not meeting sales goals...I don't remember getting sales commissions, but whatever...I knew something was wrong and I started looking for work. As soon as I found something, you know I quite ON THE SPOT! It felt very good, but I felt bad for my co-workers that couldn't quit and had to endure more of their crap. Sadly, most of them lost their jobs when USAA closed up shop and moved out of Sacramento. Those that went with them ended up let go about 6 months after they relocated...very sad.

AT WILL = Employer can do whatever the hell they want. Your only option is to leave!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

anonymous in Bryan, Texas said: Spoke to an attorney. I was a longtime employee who experienced the same type of bullying and lies that you did, specifically in the Colorado Springs office. This was reported to HR on many occasions, and they do not care. I believe it is the head of HR that is responsible. Make sure you go to the same church as the head of HR who promotes his friends. Once you use FMLA, they try and get rid of you. I worked my ___s for the company and had more than solid performance but my manager harassed me into taking anxiety drugs. USAA builds themselves up, and the managers, that they can do no wrong, so no lawyers want to touch them. The laws in Colorado allow them to treat someone however they please. I wish I had better news, but I had to let it go. What goes around comes around, and they will have their day. Would love it if there were an article in The Gazzette on how they treat their employees.

It's not that Lawyers don't want to touch them...the way the AT WILL law is written, they really can't touch them. At Will means that you are coming to work AT WILL and are free to leave at any time or quit at any time. Also, it means the Employer can term you without cause of any kind and that's that. Now, you will get Unemployment if they do that, but who can live on that kind of money? In California, the wages are high and that's why USAA bailed and left the area. The Unemployment claims would KILL USAA and they had many from the Sacramento office...

It's sad the way this company deceives employees and treats them...there were some old-school employees in Sacramento that were really getting the stick by this company which was one of the reasons I walked out on them as soon as I could. It was a very toxic and vindictive environment...and HR didn't give two snaps because they were there to protect USAA, not me.

Reply - Report abuse

Laura Goff in Converse, Texas

11 months ago

USAA IT Service Desk is a miserable 'effing' job. Don't take it. I was lied to and told it was 50% phone and 50% desktop just to get me on a PHONE 8 hrs a day 40 hours a week because there is a constant EXODUS!!! I still have the email where I told them ' if this is an 8 hr a day on the phone job, I am NOT interested. I cannot do 40 hrs a week on a phone...and they lied to me they are SO DESPERATE for VICTIMS. And its true if you do too much your written up, if you do too little for the customer your written up. You are trained on how to create a ticket then they throw you on the floor with 25,000 programs to learn and 250,000 little UNDOCUMENTED 'quirks' in the solutions you are supposed to follow and if you don't remember them the first time you are reprimanded and you may not see that same issue for 30 or 45 days...if you ask too many questions your written up or reprimanded but it is ON THE JOB TRAINING(?). Horrible 'culture', horrible management issues, horrible job.

Reply - Report abuse

I'm cool in Tampa, Florida

11 months ago

Laura Goff in Converse, Texas said: USAA IT Service Desk is a miserable 'effing' job. Don't take it. I was lied to and told it was 50% phone and 50% desktop just to get me on a PHONE 8 hrs a day 40 hours a week because there is a constant EXODUS!!! I still have the email where I told them ' if this is an 8 hr a day on the phone job, I am NOT interested. I cannot do 40 hrs a week on a phone...and they lied to me they are SO DESPERATE for VICTIMS. And its true if you do too much your written up, if you do too little for the customer your written up. You are trained on how to create a ticket then they throw you on the floor with 25,000 programs to learn and 250,000 little UNDOCUMENTED 'quirks' in the solutions you are supposed to follow and if you don't remember them the first time you are reprimanded and you may not see that same issue for 30 or 45 days...if you ask too many questions your written up or reprimanded but it is ON THE JOB TRAINING(?). Horrible 'culture', horrible management issues, horrible job.

I feel you on this one! I work in auto claims out of the Tampa office. The best thing about USAA is benefits. We have a tropical storm coming today that will be a category 1 hurricane by the time it reaches land and we are STILL OPEN!!! I'm from Florida so I'm used to storms but all they did was send emails this week telling us how they need us here today and the rest of the week to work overtime and be here for the members. But what about your employees? If the members are affected by the storm, so are we! Sorry, had to vent for a minute lol.

Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Arizona

11 months ago

That is horrible. We are always told they want us to come in when SA has a storm with black ice. SA always has preferential treatment.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Arizona

11 months ago

I have no idea. Why do you want to know now? You could probably do a Google search. He was ousted as CEO in 2007 and that was the last I knew of him.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Robert J Koenig in Los Angeles, California

11 months ago

Actually no: when the pilot of the USAA member-owned Grumman Gulfstream II discovered Mr Davis and Ms Dawn Johnson inappropriately entwined at 30,000 feet over-flying the Fall 2007 California wildfires - he reported that new form of "f'ing over the members" to Davis' boss John H Moellering. Mr Davis was promptly fired. Ms Johnson was escorted from the building a few days later. The fact that Davis had hired his mistress Dawn Johnson at total comp = ~$1,000,000/annum was well known to USAA Chairman Moellering: yet permitted - practically sanctioned. Loyalty - Honesty- Integrity: and all that kind of stuff.

But since 2008, Davis has done a complete disappearing act - as has Dawn Johnson. When world-class executives at USAA leave - their world-class abilities never seem to be found useful at other insurance companies. They become the USAA zombies.

nb: Since “gene22789” (see following comment) is paid by Stuart Parker to daily inspect the USAA thread at indeed.com and to parade his chiding commentary: we should feel sorry for him and we hope that he will somehow get a life and a real job. But we thank him for his genuine compassion and if he will supply his name and address I will send him a tube of KY Jelly in gratitude. It will relieve gene22789’s soreness

Reply - Report abuse

BenjaminCuruthers in California

11 months ago

Robert J Koenig in Los Angeles, California said: The last track I had on Robert G Davis' coordinates was when he co-purchased a house with Dawn Johnson:

Robert G Davis
27 Three Lakes Drive
San Antonio TX 78248

Can somebody please help me with an update on Davis's whereabouts and what he is doing?

The last I heard about Bob Davis he was attempting to determine which spider hole you had crawled into.

Reply - Report abuse

gene22789 in Norfolk, Virginia

10 months ago

Robert J Koenig in Los Angeles, California said:

Bob, you're far more thin-skinned than I imagined.

Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

I feel the way the US Navy does when they lose and can’t account for a Chinese submarine.

Where did Shon Manasco go? He was Senior EVP and high muckety-muck, chief poobah and senior bottle washer for Stuart Parker and Laura Bishop: maybe Senior EVP for Member Experience - that sort of thing.

He disappeared off my sonar in late August.

Has he really left USAA or is he on special assignment: in mufti?

Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Also - while I am here this evening.

Does USAA ever concern itself with the notion of at-cost insurance?

I was reading Mr Justice Louis Brandeis’ opinion in Penn Mutual Life Insurance Co. v. Lederer, 252 U.S. 523 (1920), where he wrote:

“It is of the essence of mutual insurance that the excess in the premium over the actual cost as later ascertained shall be returned to the policy holder [sic].”

Is there any sense at USAA, in the context of Stuart Parker’s culture and values, that the syndicate names (called “subscribers”) :

1: supply all the surplus;

2: take all the risks; and,

3: can expect to have their deposits repaid when it is “later ascertained that their deposits are in excess of actual cost”.

Does anybody at 9800 Fredericksburg Road ever talk about this concept?

The idea of at-cost insurance.

It seems to me that the syndicate names at the insurance syndicate that Laura Mahan Bishop operates as their trustee and syndicate manager should be getting ready to get their Katrina refunds. The Christmas bonuses at all the other insurers will be paid with the Katrina refunds. Stuart Parker and his Executive Suite and the syndicate super-names (the USAA Directors) will all get big bonuses from the Katrina refund. When will the USAA members get their Katrina refund?

Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Bob,

You never fail to amuse. As I am sure you are aware, the quoted opinion addresses a mutual insurance company and taxes. Further, USAA does reimburse their members through their Subscribers Savings Program and I am aware of no other company offering this.

Your idea of "at cost insurance" is interesting but not well analyzed because it presents a double edge sword even if it were economically feasible, which of course it is not. Let's fantasize for a moment that such a concept existed and on a good year, policyholders receive a reimbursement of this excess premium. Everyone is happy, right?

Now, let's consider another year when the company suffers financially from catastrophic losses due to storms and/or other events. Using your logic, the policyholders, after benefitting from some good years, should all chip in and pay additional premiums for the catastrophic year, similar to Lloyds of London. It's only fair, correct? I'm certain the policyholders would be more than delighted even if they submitted no claim that year.

Why don't you gather some investors and create such a company and enjoy the fruits of your idea.

Good luck sir.

Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

And let us not overlook the opinion you cite was written 103 years ago at a time when property and auto insurance was in its infancy. Perhaps this is your method to make America great again.

Reply - Report abuse

cmaxwell@*****.*** in Johnson City, Texas

9 months ago

I'm hearing rumors about attempts to organize a union at the USAA call center in San Antonio, possibly also in Mississippi. Supposedly management has been having active meetings to quell the "uprising". Anybody have any information on this?

Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Lloyd’s syndicates, just like USAA’s contracts, are term insurance. The syndicate names’ personal individual and “several” liability extends only to the duration of the voyage that the shipowner is trading. Never in the history of Lloyd’s has one syndicate name helped out another. You’re just being a little bit obtuse.

At USAA, when Hurricane Matthew came ashore on Thursday October 6:

neither the syndicate names who terminated their contracts the day before on Wednesday October 5th nor the new syndicate names who subscribed the day after on Friday October 7th had any liability for October 6th’s losses.

Reciprocal interinsurance exchanges are “term insurance” on steroids.

They are nul personalities and severalties which exist from day-to-day as an “in processum”: they are neither “in rem” or “in personam”.

As was held in Roby v Lloyd's; 996 F.2d 1353, 61 USLW 2796, Fed. Sec. L. Rep. P 97,458, RICO Bus.Disp.Guide 8307, 1993 U.S. App. LEXIS 13089 (certiorari denied): USAA has no separate existence from its subscribers. And the only subscribers on any given day are the USAA syndicate names that are present for Lyles/Parker/Bishop’s roll call at 1201 AM on that same day. Yesterday’s and tomorrow’s subscribers are nullities.

No subscriber at USAA who had not already pledged her several liability at 1201 AM on the of a claim day has ever paid such a claim.

Put very simply: USAA doesn’t even exist except as a one-page “certificate of authority” issued to Laura Mahan Bishop in April 2008: which itself is a nullity as Laura failed to submit an affidavit that the surplus at USAA was the unencumbered bona fide property of the insurance company.

Think about it: how could it operate any other way?

Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Mr Justice Louis Brandeis made it very very easy. When Lyles/Parker/Bishop later ascertain that the pledge of surplus and cash deposit of any, each, and every USAA subscriber is in excess of actual cost: it shall be returned.

That’s why Lyles/Parker/Bishop are today all a**holes and elbows getting the $17,000,000,000 in subscriber-owned surplus which is excess to actual costs packaged up to be liquidated.

It’s the law of the land. It’s the at-cost thing.

Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Bob,

Please get some counseling. It is never too late.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Zanesville, Ohio

9 months ago

Hi Gene and Robert -- Interesting thread here! You guys have me pretty amazed right now, so maybe I could toss in a few questions to be sure I'm not cheating on my income taxes....so given that USAA is not incorporated, so there's no place to assign earnings, if it's a for-profit operation as Gene says, how come I've gone 30+ years without a K-1 statement to show me my earnings? Is everybody getting earnings statements but me? I thought that my annual "SSA" with the check was returning all the profits to get me back to an "at cost" level since I was never getting any notification about earnings. But, I just went back and read all the words on that statement, and it has a bunch of blather about how the Board of Directors seems to pick an arbitrary amount to return to me. This surprised me, so now I can't reconcile in my head why I don't either have a strict formula to show my returned monies to achieve "at cost" or a K-1 to assign my earnings to me if in fact the amount on the check does not exactly match the excess over cost. If the "SSA" that remains inside USAA is all the un-returned earnings, how come I've heard that when folks leave or die, they get back their SSA without any statement of earnings? If I've been deducting premiums as a business expense over 30+ years, and in fact the SSA distribution when I die nets me out to "at cost", how can I go back and re-file 30 years of taxes to restate my insurance premium deductions so far back in time? Isn't there a limit to how far back I can file amended returns? Does this mean that everyone who exits USAA is a tax cheat? This is strange. My head is spinning from this discussion. THANKS!

Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Great question "Jeff". To stop your head from spinning, ask USAA.

Reply - Report abuse

Krispy Kreme McDonald in Irving, Texas

5 months ago

Aside from the customers in fighitng... Most people in USAA are third party. Get ready for a crap show. They will pay you 10 an hour which isn't really a living wage where I come from anymore. They will then ignore your feedback, not train you (hey seriously your training is 2 to 3 years old I don't care what top 125 list you make.), then you will be told to use their information base which is sparse and when it does have the info it is out of date. You get a caller who is mad because someone trained worse than you (hard to believe right?) has a messed up account. You need to contact your senior (a line of help if you will) management but they have more excuses as to why they don't have an answer. Company culture is a lot like putting your nipples in a mangle.

Reply - Report abuse

Krispy Kreme McDonald in Arlington, Texas

5 months ago

cmaxwell@*****.*** in Johnson City, Texas said: I'm hearing rumors about attempts to organize a union at the USAA call center in San Antonio, possibly also in Mississippi. Supposedly management has been having active meetings to quell the "uprising". Anybody have any information on this?

Watch what happens when you try to unionise... USAA will fire all of your butts (even the people that did not want a union) so fast it will make your head spin. Management will literally tell you anything to get you to stop demanding a living wage.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   93  94  95  96  97  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.