What's the company culture at USAA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4851 to 4900 of 4991)
Page:  « First « Previous   95  96  97  98  99  100  Next »   Last »

Think about it in Hodgenville, Kentucky

28 months ago

Is USAA a good place to work? There is no way to know 100% for sure unless you work there, and then it doesn't matter if it is or not because you are already there. I do not know if USAA is as bad as everything posted here or not. However there are several bits of info that can't be ignored.

From what is posted here:
1) This stream of allegations of misconduct on the part of USAA goes back years.
2) Those raising complaints, for the most part, are clear, informative, detailed about their complaints. There is too much consistent information that is calmly presented. Either its accurate or its a very coordinated sham.

From the USAA employment site:
4) There are several seasonal postings on a regular basis, and some are not entry level positions although they could probably be considered lower end. This seems to agree with the charge that USAA hires seasonal employees in order to avoid paying full benefits to regular employees.
5) The salaries for several positions that are lower on the ladder than middle management seem to be lower than the industry standard; in some cases this is minor, in other cases it is not.

The last one is a fact that came directly from the mouths of USAA employees.
6) "USAA is always hiring lots of people!"

How? I have been told this no less than three times by three separate active employees at time periods that were easily 8+ months apart. How can a company "always" be hiring? Well, either they A) are exploding in terms of growth and are struggling to manage the workload as they manage their hugely successful growth rate, or B) there is just as much turnover.

You cant make jobs out of thin air just like you cant create widespread dissatisfaction without some kind of significant distressing element. Consider the information and then make your own rational decision carefully because you are the one who has to live with the consequences of your own decision.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas

28 months ago

As the previous poster wrote there are a lot of seasonal and contract employees. My area sends easy clerical work to India. We also have several contract employees working in the San Antonio office. Their contract is good for up to 18 months. We have more contract employees than regular employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

smonecaresabtu in Colorado Springs, Colorado

28 months ago

So true, they don't mind if they train you and you leave. Yes, then they can just hire seasonal employees with less benefits. Also, they NEVER fire a manager so the manager can do as they please. This is observed by employees over and over again through the years and never changes. HR takes no action, so it continues. Some jobs/ departments of USAA are not as over-stressed as front-line phone taking employees (who are most of the workforce). USAA has fitness, child care ect......and other benefits so that they are assured public relations wise to be the best company. That way when employees are treated badly, and someone from the outside hears about it they can't see through it. I've seen many where after 1-5 years the honeymoon is over, but because of the job market they feel "stuck", and forced to go on anti-anxiety drugs to survive the job. Managers are told to find something wrong about each employees job performance and each phone call that is monitored. Management feels this will motivate the employee, not make them feel bad about themselves working hard everyday. Employees are told that the military customers go above and beyond to defend our country, which is much appreciated by everyone., but in a condensending manner as if the employees life, family life,health ect...is not as important as the customers who serve. So it is ok if the employees go off the deep end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

I have personally known 3 managers that have been demoted although 2 of them should have been fired. My co-worker and me are trying to hang in a few more years vor early retirement. I hope I can last that long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri

28 months ago

I'm very saddened to read this thread, not because I want to work for them but because they are handling my investments, it causes me concern. right now, it's not much money, but if It ever get in to larger investments, I might think twice about them now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Good to know, yes I have known managers that volunteered to be demoted because of the pressure / and wanted to lead a more ethical life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Come to think of it I have often wondered why someone in management or HR doesn't get the message on how to keep employees etc........then I realized that is how they keep job security in HR to keep the revolving door going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee in Boerne, Texas

27 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: As the previous poster wrote there are a lot of seasonal and contract employees. My area sends easy clerical work to India. We also have several contract employees working in the San Antonio office. Their contract is good for up to 18 months. We have more contract employees than regular employees.

I was talking to a woman the other day whose husband is in a senior position in the IT department at USAA. He has numerous foreign Indian workers on his San Antonio team, AND a whole team located in India. Since he had never met the outsourced Indian employees personally, USAA sent him over for a few months to interact with them in person. He said that the USAA employees at the center in India make around $3 an hour, though USAA pays the middle man (contractor) in India around $9 bucks an hour to source the talent. With the BILLIONS in profit each year and more BILLIONS in investments, you would think USAA would support US employees. Makes you wonder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Former Employee in Boerne, Texas said: I was talking to a woman the other day whose husband is in a senior position in the IT department at USAA. He has numerous foreign Indian workers on his San Antonio team, AND a whole team located in India. Since he had never met the outsourced Indian employees personally, USAA sent him over for a few months to interact with them in person. He said that the USAA employees at the center in India make around $3 an hour, though USAA pays the middle man (contractor) in India around $9 bucks an hour to source the talent. With the BILLIONS in profit each year and more BILLIONS in investments, you would think USAA would support US employees. Makes you wonder.

You are right. Our management goes there on a rotating 3 months schedule. It is all about getting the cheapest labor possible. I am not having good feelings about how secure my job is. I was asked how I would feel if our dept work got sent to India and we had to do something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

disguntled phone jockey in san antonio in San Antonio, Texas

27 months ago

My new manager called me to her desk. I had FMLA for my father. She asked me to come up with a schedule or two to reduce the time off I had been using. She had noticed a trend with my time off. She used the excuse that I would want more time with my family.

27 months ago

Is there life after USAA? I am fraid vI am going to get fired. What do you tell new employers if you do get fired for not getting along with people, especially your boss. They are being intrusive go me on personal issues that are no business of theirs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

onlywords in Colorado Springs, Colorado

27 months ago

Yes there is life after USAA. Yes, they should not get into personal issues with employees but they do all the time........best thing to say is that it is personal and I don't wish to discuss this further. Managers get judgemental when they should not.(what goes around comes around) Also if you leave USAA legally you don't have to say anything about it to your new employer. Verification of employment isn't suppose to discuss details. Bosses are not allowed to socialize with their employees or be friends. This may differ in San Antonio. Managers think they are like the powerful OZ but at least in the end he had a heart. They have a difficult time separating themselves from this role and forget to be human. Wish this wasn't all true.

27 months ago

What do you mean by legally? I didn't do anything illegal if that is what you mean. They used to leave me alone and everything was fine now they're looking at really small stupid stuff. I wish I could say the whole story but I am afraid to because they are probably reading this. I feel if I do get fired saying it is personal won't cut it. Would I even have to admit if I did get fired? Is there a way I can just tell new employers how long I worked there and what my job was. I am going to try to find something else before it happens. I am also going to apply for FMLA.

27 months ago

I would research it on line but I think legally the place of work (USAA) can't say anything about you if someone inquires. I believe they can verify how long you worked there and your job assignment and that is it. The HR where I worked didn't really help much to resolve issues with a manager. I used FMLA once due to anxiety but I rarely took off work to use it, I did it to protect my job. USAA doesn't like FMLA too much. Sometimes it's better to ride it out until units get changed around and you can get a different manager. The other thing to consider is they do like to "nit pick" so try not to take it personally, you will find they do this to everyone. I hope this helps.

27 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: What do you mean by legally? I didn't do anything illegal if that is what you mean. They used to leave me alone and everything was fine now they're looking at really small stupid stuff. I wish I could say the whole story but I am afraid to because they are probably reading this. I feel if I do get fired saying it is personal won't cut it. Would I even have to admit if I did get fired? Is there a way I can just tell new employers how long I worked there and what my job was. I am going to try to find something else before it happens. I am also going to apply for FMLA.

It is none of their business if u are out on fmla. but trust no one. managers don't care about you. hr and ethics will come and bite u in the ass.

screwedatUSAA in San Antonio, Texas

27 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: Is there life after USAA? I am fraid vI am going to get fired. What do you tell new employers if you do get fired for not getting along with people, especially your boss. They are being intrusive go me on personal issues that are no business of theirs.

It's time to go somewhere else..same crap happened to me in IT...they look for stuff...USAA is not the same anymore..unless you cheese like crazy..

27 months ago

It's true, trust no one.

nonefornow in Arizona

27 months ago

I am already having such anxiety about going into work this week. I am going to apply for FMLA for my mental wellness. They have dumped the jobs of two people on us when we are already short staffed. I just hope I can find something decent before they fire me. I am sure they are looking for reasons to.

sound-n-vision in Sacramento, California

27 months ago

nonefornow in Arizona said: I am already having such anxiety about going into work this week. I am going to apply for FMLA for my mental wellness. They have dumped the jobs of two people on us when we are already short staffed. I just hope I can find something decent before they fire me. I am sure they are looking for reasons to.

I know how you feel. When I finally decided to resign back in 2004, I was having the same feelings on Sunday evening. HOWEVER, I can tell you that prety much all companies unless you are government are going to treat you this way! That's the nature of the NEW order. My current employeer is going the same crap that USAA starated doing so they can try and get rid of people without having to lay them off without cause...to try and avoid paying unemployment... Welcome to the 21st century.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

I hope you have a day off where you can go to the doctor and file the FMLA.........you call Liberty Mutual and they will send you the paperwork or I think it is available at your employee webiste under FMLA benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Can someone keep renewing FMLA as long as they don't use the full 12 weeks@in a year?

27 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: Can someone keep renewing FMLA as long as they don't use the full 12 weeks@in a year?

yes

jon jay in san antonio, Texas

27 months ago

I am interviewing for a Total Loss Rep in SA. How intense is this position and what is the culture of the departnent?

27 months ago

jon jay in san antonio, Texas said: I am interviewing for a Total Loss Rep in SA. How intense is this position and what is the culture of the departnent?

I worked in non injury claims for almost 2 years. u will be given a never ending workload. they want u to close files as quickly as u get them. u will be expected to keep towing and storage fees down. u are not there to make the claimholders happy, just to close files. a happy file is a closed file.

27 months ago

Has anyone been fired while approved for FMLA for anything other than attendance? I am on a "veverbal PIP" which means they told me they put me on one but I have not seen it in writing nor will I sign it if I did. Can they just tell you they put you on one? I don't want this to affect my bonus or for that matter keeping my job. There are just some things going on with my situation I do not like. I already have such anxiety about going to work Monday and it is only Saturfay night.

27 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: Has anyone been fired while approved for FMLA for anything other than attendance? I am on a "veverbal PIP" which means they told me they put me on one but I have not seen it in writing nor will I sign it if I did. Can they just tell you they put you on one? I don't want this to affect my bonus or for that matter keeping my job. There are just some things going on with my situation I do not like. I already have such anxiety about going to work Monday and it is only Saturfay night.

my old mgr never questioned my fmla. my new mgr is trying to get me to change my schedule to lessen my time off. she questions if I go over my occurances. but i agree, u hv no one to complain about it as usaa doesn;t care. make sure your paperwork is correct and only take the amnt of time gvn.

Ex in San Antonio, Texas

27 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: Has anyone been fired while approved for FMLA for anything other than attendance? I am on a "veverbal PIP" which means they told me they put me on one but I have not seen it in writing nor will I sign it if I did. Can they just tell you they put you on one? I don't want this to affect my bonus or for that matter keeping my job. There are just some things going on with my situation I do not like. I already have such anxiety about going to work Monday and it is only Saturfay night.

A verbal PIP means to get your act straight, it's a verbal warning, and you don't sign anything until you are on a step 2. On a step 2 if you refuse to sign it doesn't matter, they will write in your file, "refused to sign" and it will still go against you. At this point you are one step away from being fired. If you don't improve while on a step 2 then you will not receive your bonus and you might be fired.

joey1127 in Sacramento, California

27 months ago

Not sure where you are, but if you are in an AT-WILL state, that means that you can be let go from USAA at anytime without cause. They can just say HIT THE ROAD and that's that. Why do they waist time writing you up first??? If they let you go with cause and have documentation, they can contest your unemployment claim and beleive me, that's what they want to do. When an employee files for UE, it counts against the company and they end up paying higher rates for UE insurance.

On FMLA, you are only allowed so much time by the company. If you do not return to work in that time frame REGARDLESS, they can and will terminate your employment!!! I see that happen a lot where I work. However, you have to ask yourself, if you are so unhappy that you are going out on FMLA, whey not just look for another job and get out of there? USAA from my own account was a freaking puppy mill!!!

Indeed_Lurker in Tampa, Florida

27 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: Has anyone been fired? I am on a "veverbal PIP." I already have such anxiety about going to work Monday and it is only Saturfay night.

Most people don't realize, but you can collect unemployment as long as you can show that you didn't cause yourself to get fired. You didn't deliberately (willfully) do things against company policy.

You see, USAA wants you to think that they can win over an unemployment office. The burden of proof IS on the employer to show that the employee was "willful" in their misconduct.

The employee should keep their performance appraisals, any awards or certificates to show that they "did the best that they could" while they were working.

Meets / doesn't meet / or even Exceeds expectations is all subjective anyway.

Just relax. If you get fired, you file for unemployment right away. The DAY you get fired, you file for it. Depending on what state you live in, there may be a waiting period (maybe 1-week) before you can collect. That's why you want to file right away.

After a few weeks, the unemployment office will conduct a phone interview, and they'll ask you questions. Be calm, BRIEF, and factual. Just say, "I did the best I could everyday I was on my job." "The employer didn't give me constructive notice or any specific reason as to my termination." (Play a little dumb).

As long as you say, "I did the best I could, kept a good attendance record, was cooperative with my supervisor and peers" stop and keep it at that.

You must have earnings from the last 4-6 consecutive quarters. Check with your State Dept of Unemployment.

27 months ago

I have started a notebook of my one on one discussion along with my production and quality scores which I will keep at home. I don't plan on using FMLA for a continuous period. I only want to use it intermittently if I feel stressed and need a couple of days off. I only requested a few days a month since it is not my intention to not go to work. I thought it may help protect my job but it doesn't sound like it. Is my boss allowed to ask my why I applied for it if I don't use it for awhile? I don't want to tell them it would be for stress/anixety issues.

27 months ago

disguntled phone jockey in san antonio in San Antonio, Texas said: I worked in non injury claims for almost 2 years. u will be given a never ending workload. they want u to close files as quickly as u get them. u will be expected to keep towing and storage fees down. u are not there to make the claimholders happy, just to close files. a happy file is a closed file.

Anything else? Will I be tied to a phone all day?

27 months ago

Yes it will help protect your job. And you do not have to tell your boss anything. I used it because I did have to take time off sometimes for Dr. appointments since they can't always be scheduled when you are off of work.

27 months ago

jon jay in san antonio, Texas said: Anything else? Will I be tied to a phone all day?

yes u r stuck on the phone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ex phone robot in San Antonio, Texas

26 months ago

disguntled phone jockey in san antonio in San Antonio, Texas said: yes u r stuck on the phone.

Unless your in IT, Marketing or Underwriting your going to be on the phone. USAA is a call center unless your in these other areas. If you don't want to be on the phone then you need to apply for a position that is non customer contact.

26 months ago

Ex phone robot in San Antonio, Texas said: Unless your in IT, Marketing or Underwriting your going to be on the phone. USAA is a call center unless your in these other areas. If you don't want to be on the phone then you need to apply for a position that is non customer contact.

I was told I can expect 50-70 calls day. Is that accurate for total loss? If it is I can handle that.

Ex phone robot in San Antonio, Texas

26 months ago

jon jay in san antonio, Texas said: I was told I can expect 50-70 calls day. Is that accurate for total loss? If it is I can handle that.

I worked in New Member Solutions where I had to sell insurance, banking and everything else under the sun. I was taking close to 80-100 calls a day, so 50-70 sounds about right. You'll just be told to refer, bring up products that USAA offers. Being in the sales area like I was is exhausting.

itsamystery in Colorado Springs, Colorado

26 months ago

You know if you are young and energetic you can probably handle it for the short term. Long-term it is exhausting.

Sell This! in Riverview, Florida

26 months ago

FMLA, greatest thing since sliced bread. And no they can't ask you anything, UNLESS you go over what the FMLA states in the forms signed by your doctor. Intermittent for 1-5 days a month, then take it. If it's 2 weeks then you'll need to keep your manager and Liberty Mutual informed

26 months ago

I have so much anxiety even though I left work for the weekend 5 hrs ago. Taking my Xanax hasn't helped either. I am feeling paranoid by anything I do or say because of past observations. I hope this feeling goes away soon.

26 months ago

What exactly do you do there?

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

26 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: I have so much anxiety even though I left work for the weekend 5 hrs ago. Taking my Xanax hasn't helped either. I am feeling paranoid by anything I do or say because of past observations. I hope this feeling goes away soon.

I think there are people who try to make their coworkers paranoid. They try to drive out competition this way. I actually confronted one woman on this. She kept going around making snide comments and insisting she could scare the pants off of me. I asked her to her face why she thought I should be afraid of her. Not so tough then.

Don't let them get to you.

nonefornow in Arizona

26 months ago

jon jay in san antonio, Texas said: What exactly do you do there?

I don't want to go out what my job is because someone that works with me likely will see this then I will really be in trouble.

26 months ago

nonefornow in Arizona said: I don't want to go out what my job is because someone that works with me likely will see this then I will really be in trouble.

You're right. I would never, ever give my job description or even my dept. that is just way too much info. You never know who is on this board asking these questions only to use them against you later.

Joey in Sacramento, California

26 months ago

What I can tell you is that any call center enviroment will be like USAA. When I left Policy Service at USAA in 2004 for the same reasons that everyone ells has already given on this forum, I found that almost all Insurance Companies and other Call Center jobs were the same. Even HP has a call center where the people are treated just like at USAA. GET OUT OF CALL CENTER WORK if you want something better. There really is no other way. Get out of services for that matter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Johnny Ringo in Someplace, Arizona

26 months ago

I am looking for someone who currently works at USAA to look up the company policy on employee referrals. It should be in the employee handbook, I am just looking for a cut and paste and for someone to email it to me at jd95677@yahoo.com.

I know everyone that works there is paranoid and I would suggest cut/paste into word document and print it out. Then scan and email it to me when you get home.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

I was selected by a survey company to complete a survey on USAA compensation. I gave them the worst ratings I could. I guess USAA is looking for ways to cut our pay because the management believes we are overpaid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TooTiredToSell in Tampa, Florida

25 months ago

CorporateHate in San Antonio, Texas said: Why are you guys still at USAA? Get out!!!

Why didn't I think of that?

Wait a minute.

I did get out.

Now, I get my money for free and I'm walking tall and laughing easy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

TooTiredToSell in Tampa, Florida said: Why didn't I think of that?

Wait a minute.

I did get out.

Now, I get my money for free and I'm walking tall and laughing easy!

So what is your secret? Welfare?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TooTiredToSell in Tampa, Florida

25 months ago

stressed out in San Antonio, Texas said: So what is your secret? Welfare?

Actually, I am enjoying welfare but since I'm not 'on welfare', it's not government related.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Are there any claims adjusters that moved from Policy Service? How does the wrok environment differ? Are you glad you mad the move? I am interested to see if it would be a good move.

Page:  « First « Previous   95  96  97  98  99  100  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.