Are you still proud of USAA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Terri S. in Avondale, Arizona

57 months ago

When I first read these comments I was upset that USAA was portrayed so poorly as a place to work, however, I understand that a call center environment is not a good fit for everyone. I have worked in call centers for over 15 years and I can tell you that the expectation of handling as many calls as possible in your day is consistent. As a result, call center work is the easiest and toughest job you could have. It's easy to sit and talk all day but it's stressful to be tethered to the phone, not know if you'll be able to breathe before taking another call, not knowing if you'll get on a long call and not be able to use the restroom, being tied to a schedule that is measured to the second for your phone productivity, the pressure to sell on every call and still sound so happy to speak to each and every person all day long, no matter what they say to you.

Other CONS: It is nearly impossible to get approved time off or a schedule change. So many people have so much more tenure and experience than you do that you will be lucky to ever get a promotion into management, training or any off the phone position. No one talks to you or even makes eye contact if you're in a different department. I've had 3 managers, one of whom may as well have been a lump of coal. It's stressful. There is very little fun allowed. No holidays are celebrated.

That being said, I have thought of leaving, but the PROS are HUGE. I was promoted within a year and could be again if I wanted to. I'm holding back because of having a great shift and I'll loose my seniority for shift bid if I take a promotion. I made over $7000 in (before tax) bonus last year which is on top of the holiday bonus of almost $1000. I get my tuition of over $2000 per class paid for so I will be able to complete my degree for FREE. My current manager is awesome.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

armyofone80 in Alamo Heights, Texas

57 months ago

I'm sorry, but even though you hit the nail on the head with the cons you listed, the pros do not outweigh the cons. The opportunities are few and far between. I saw people that always asked me for help on everything get promotions and I was left behind with other more intelligent, hard working people. I'm not saying all the reps getting promoted didn't know what they were doing, but 4 out of 5 did not.

Sure, call center jobs are not for everyone. But why do you think there is a revolving door for that department? It is not secure and it is not desirable. It is a necessity to have a job sometimes, even a second one, just to get by. So no, it is not always because it is the perfect fit. Many of us would not choose this for ourselves if we had a favorable alternative. I am glad i have been gone almost four years now, finished my undergraduate studies, and am halfway done with my Master's degree....without USAA's help! I lost weight, I didn't need anxiety medicine anymore...I felt so much better. I can enjoy my life now. I don't even miss the bonuses...seriously! I am glad you found happiness there and I hope your manager doesn't change for a while.

Reply - Report abuse

Paulie in Buford, Georgia

46 months ago

We've been with USAA for way too long. Someone in this forum struck a nerve by noting that a few years ago USAA suddenly began to backslide. For me it was the day they started sales pitching relentlessly with cheesy back-to-back ads on TV. Wish their recent core values actually reflected any of the touching patriotic hype. Our problem began when I asked for my own credit card / investment account. No can do - this is all under your wife's account, and you CANNOT have your own account with us. Next up was the "please move your antique cars to another carrier" - never could get an explanation of this from USAA or any service out of the company they referred me to. Since then they cannot comprehend the low annual mileages on the two cars - big numbers like ZERO and FIVE (miles). NEVER try to insure a rental home with USAA - easier to just burn it down. NEVER call to let them know that you've upgraded to Hardiplank siding - small premium break due to its fireproof nature, offset by a HUGE net increase due to replacement value - did I mention the 50 year warranty it came with, and that it won't burn (major constituent is CEMENT)? Then there's a request for what our roof is made of - I'm an electrical engineer, not a chemist, and they grossly had the age of it wrong, guess that'll have to do for our next increase. Basically, every contact with customer no-service lately has resulted in a DUH-HUH-WHUT? I have requested direct contact information for my top employee (I am a stockholder after all), the President/CEO, to provide a job performance review, but so far that one has them even more stumped than the insurance questions. Looks like we'll have to terminate their employment.

Reply - Report abuse

Paulie in Lilburn, Georgia

46 months ago

The stink laden USAA plot thickens and festers. I got a call from a senior customer no-service "Office of the President" person last night regarding my roof questions. She said that she had no idea of the impact upon the policy premium, as that would take 30 to 45 days to generate. Next she actually ARGUED with me about the age of MY ROOF. Heck, what would I know, I just live here and paid the bill to have it upgraded a few years ago and now have the receipt in my hand - OK, fine and dandy, just trying to be honest with you. She asked if there was anything else, and it was revealed that she didn't actually have a copy of the questions that I had sent - WONDERFUL. OK, so if and when you decide what the presumed increase in the cost of coverage will be after you have refused to accept my information regarding the installation date (given that either it's too old or too new and coverage cost will probably go up) that you had asked for in your letter (I also offered to send a sample for them to determine the material, but she said they already knew that too, which begs the question why they bothered to send the stupid letter in the first place), I'd like some scenarios regarding alternative deductibles with respect to the someday to be revised premiums. This appeared to be like having 30 root canals done all at once with no anesthetic - totally vague and pained response. She asked if I had any other issues, and to each one mentioned (car, rental property, banking, corporate contact information, etc.) I was sternly told that she could not help with that. I actually knew less and had several tons of additional frustration (not to mention the animosity I had toward the surly no-service jerk) than before she called. Save yourselves! Avoid USAA, or dump them if you already have them!

Reply - Report abuse

OhThankGawd in Virginia Beach, Virginia

45 months ago

At USAA, they hate anyone over 40. You might die soon and cost them a little cash out of their tight little pockets. Management has no idea "What it means to serve." Most customer service reps have more patriotism then all of management combined. They are just a bunch of leeches with prior military background, and they have no place running a civilian organization the way they do. They dishonor the military and employees with their expectations of perfection without proper compensation. They have forgotten what it means to serve. The proof is simple: You take care of each other and make sure no one is left behind. Yes, once a great company, but now just a bunch of bean-counting losers in senior management, and the nasty example flows down to junior management. Sure there are great people who work there. But they are outnumbered by the drama queen losers that are allowed to hassle decent human beings all day long. All it would take is a few minutes between calls to let the rep get ready for the next challenge. Maybe a kind word or two about the great job they did on the phone before railing on them about one little mistake. But that would be way too human. The beatings will continue until morale improves! USAA corporate = LOSERS! My hat is off to those on the phones providing great service.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.