Uline News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Uline stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Duane in Des Moines, Iowa

101 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

This is a really spooky company. They always seem to be advertising for same positions. I applied several times and before I even got a reply from HR. HR person was also spooky.....she emailed me to say they were very interested in my resume, had left 2 V-mails and this would be their last effort. I left a Vmail and email and did not hear back for 2 days. Finally, I called again and got HR pergot a call who was very nonchalant in saying she had been in training! She went to say she was going to email a "writing" test (which was nothing more than "Uline writing" or shorthand; a sales assessment and a personality test.....Wow! I thought I did rather well and call HR to inquire.....again, another 2 days and she finally left a message stating that it was in the hands of a recruiter who I could contact if I wanted....2 days later I received a generic Dear John letter saying I had great experience, etc, but they were looking elsewhere........this company kind of has a cult feel to it, particularly since it was started by a husband and wife team.....so good luck to anyone trying to break in!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Big Dog in Des Moines, Iowa

101 months ago

My experience was completely online, emails, and calls for a sales position, so I did not do the math test....only a "writing" test, a sales apptitude test and a personality test. The sales part was a slam dunk...basic sales 101, with several possible correct answers....Uline seems to think that sales is a science, not an art! The personality test was the usual bullsh*t companies do these days......but, allegedly the "scores" looked in-line (according to the online assessment guide)for a sales "personality". The writing "test" was the really spooky part though....it was not really a test.....this is where the cult part came in....the instructions explained that Uline gave this test to assess if candidates could write the Uline way.....WHAT??!!

The test consisted of rewriting a passage or summarizing the passage into bullet points.....WHAT?! Although spooky, it was High School 101 and I thought I did well. Uline made it seem like this was something they invented and that it was a big part of actually selling. The entire experience had a Stepford Wives approach and feel to it. The base salary was only about $33,000 with a company car. They seem to want people straight out of college, yet have a ton of experience and will take orders without questions.

About 2 weeks later I received an email claiming I had great skills, but they were going with someone else who looked better. I was not given "scores" on anything.......I think the couple who started this company are either into voodoo, damn lucky in business or now senile.Good luck to applicants.....sounds like Jonestown!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chas in Il in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

101 months ago

I applied once and at the end of the interview I was told Uline could not give a 'mgr' title if you were not a college graduate. I have enough experience to put their people to shame.
Unfortunately, the people who do the hiring can't see past their noses.
they are constantly runnign the same ads and I have heard their turnover is a revolving door. I wonder if the Uhleins know what talent they are turning away?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

Interesting. I think you may be right....sounds very cultish to me....seems as if they are looking for that perfect employee and while looking, are not taking a flyer on anyone....as someone commented, it is probably a good thing not to get hired by Uline in the long run....because I am not perfect!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

B in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

101 months ago

I'm putting only a letter as my ID because I used to work there. You are all correct in suspecting some strange things. The comment from Chas is correct, and goes even further. You don't get any of the juicy jobs unless you are a graduate from a big 10 university. In fact, you won't even get the courtesy of a "thanks but no thanks" call/letter. That personality test you took is called Myers-Briggs and is by far the worst "personality" assessment to administer for determining success or right fit for the job. They administer that test to see if you have the right coding for the position applied for. ESTJ, ISTJ... extroverted/introverted, thinking/feeling, sensing/intuitive, judging/perceiving... So to be a sales rep you need to be an ESTJ, to be in finance you need to be ISTJ etc. I used to work closely with "HR" in this respect. If your "test" results end up with the wrong letter combination for the job, you won't get it. That's why the same positions keep coming up on all the job boards, they just haven't found the right "letters" or you didn't go to the right school. It's unfortunate because I did enjoy working there, however they had a nasty habit of coming in and reorganizing departments to get rid of undesirables. Sneaky. Also, just because I was in once doesn't mean I'll get in again. I tried applying for one of their positions and was turned down cold. Not even a phone call just some crummy email. I'll check back to see if anyone made further down the trail to grandma's house. I could tell you some stories.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NB in Milwaukee in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

101 months ago

B in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I'm putting only a letter as my ID because I used to work there. You are all correct in suspecting some strange things. The comment from Chas is correct, and goes even further. You don't get any of the juicy jobs unless you are a graduate from a big 10 university. In fact, you won't even get the courtesy of a "thanks but no thanks" call/letter. That personality test you took is called Myers-Briggs and is by far the worst "personality" assessment to administer for determining success or right fit for the job. They administer that test to see if you have the right coding for the position applied for. ESTJ, ISTJ... extroverted/introverted, thinking/feeling, sensing/intuitive, judging/perceiving... So to be a sales rep you need to be an ESTJ, to be in finance you need to be ISTJ etc. I used to work closely with "HR" in this respect. If your "test" results end up with the wrong letter combination for the job, you won't get it. That's why the same positions keep coming up on all the job boards, they just haven't found the right "letters" or you didn't go to the right school. It's unfortunate because I did enjoy working there, however they had a nasty habit of coming in and reorganizing departments to get rid of undesirables. Sneaky. Also, just because I was in once doesn't mean I'll get in again. I tried applying for one of their positions and was turned down cold. Not even a phone call just some crummy email. I'll check back to see if anyone made further down the trail to grandma's house. I could tell you some stories.....

I have to say that I'm certainly glad that I viewed the comments by everyone in the forum before I applied. I, too, noticed the excessive and constant job ads for Uline (Waukegan, IL). I was a very skeptical about the company due to the excessive job posts. I've determined that Uline is not the company I want to work for under any circumstances. I don't like head games and bulls**t.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

juicy job holder in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin

101 months ago

You wont get a Uline job unless your a salesperson. We advertize all IT jobs non-stop because we need to convert from an AS400 system into client server, but can't face the uncomfortable reality that it costs more than it is worth. When it comes time, we will bring in consultants to re-write it, like the website, then let the staff fight all the fires it starts. Proceed with caution around IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Big Dog in Johnston, Iowa

101 months ago

Thanks for input, but I have given up on Uline.....starting salary of mid-30's and a car is just not worth the effort to be quite honest.
BTW I am a salesperson, a strong salesperson, but those damn evaluation tests are just nonsense, particularly when they will not tell you how you performed and what they mean....it is kind of ridiculous when you cannot even get a FTF interview.....seems like they would at least want to meet someone before they determined you could not sell!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Christine in North Hollywood, California

100 months ago

Duane in Des Moines, Iowa said: This is a really spooky company. They always seem to be advertising for same positions. I applied several times and before I even got a reply from HR. HR person was also spooky.....she emailed me to say they were very interested in my resume, had left 2 V-mails and this would be their last effort. I left a Vmail and email and did not hear back for 2 days. Finally, I called again and got HR pergot a call who was very nonchalant in saying she had been in training! She went to say she was going to email a "writing" test (which was nothing more than "Uline writing" or shorthand; a sales assessment and a personality test.....Wow! I thought I did rather well and call HR to inquire.....again, another 2 days and she finally left a message stating that it was in the hands of a recruiter who I could contact if I wanted....2 days later I received a generic Dear John letter saying I had great experience, etc, but they were looking elsewhere........this company kind of has a cult feel to it, particularly since it was started by a husband and wife team.....so good luck to anyone trying to break in!!!

Well, Uline is a big company. I had a test and I passed it. When the interview started, they told me the company is going to move to Ontario next year. I was like how come you didn't tell me up front? I tooke a day off just for that interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Crystal Lake, Illinois

100 months ago

I am not sure what this company wants. I have over 25 years operational and customer service experience and each time that I apply for any position with this company, I always get the standard reply. "We have chosen to go with another candidate" I too believe that this company would rather hire robots, then someone that has some knowledge about how things should run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Agreed! I will never apply again....I hear they are moving at least parts of business to Canada, so what does that tell you about them?? Seems like a cult more than a business....guess they are making money, so I am sure they could care less about what people think about them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LTR in Ingleside, Illinois

100 months ago

Thank you everyone. I was just finishing the writing test when I stumbled onto this forum. Your experiences have saved me from making a huge mistake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Martha Washington in Milford, Connecticut

99 months ago

Sour grapes! Just cuz you can't get a job there because you're not educated or qualified enough. Bunch of whiners. You should be so lucky to work for such an amazing company. I worked for them for more years than I've worked in any other job . (Real name withheld to protect the not-so-innocent). The zillions of job postings are because they continue to grow at a phenomenal rate. They can afford to have high standards because they're the best at what they do.
Canada. BFD. Heard of NAFTA? The Bottom Line? Expansion principles of economics? At least it ain't India...although I'd love to hear those CSRs. Common sense tells me they said they were moving a particular job, not the entire company, to Canada, or opening a new distribution center....(Some helpful hints for job searchers - do some research on the company and position you're applying for)....but my instincts tell me it was a way to say "Thanks, but no thanks" to the applicant. Chances are you'll never really know why you don't get hired anywhere - legal issues - getting a "Thanks but no thanks" letter is a professional courtesy, not a requirement.
INTJ/ENTJ/smeejay....I've also worked in recruiting for years and you wouldn't believe the people who apply for jobs they think they are qualified for and don't have the slightest clue. (USE SPELL CHECK PEOPLE!!) ANY screening qualification weeds out the obviously-not-qualified and when you're dealing with 1000 applications per single job opening you're not so keen on wasting time with the marginally qualified. The French, among others, do handwriting analysis. How'dya like to suffer that little indignity? (my "y"s indicate I have, um, a sort of kinky disposition-u want your employer 2 know that sort of info!?!?)
All companies have a corporate "voice" that, like it or not, you'll have to speak in for different occassions. It's all about corporate culture - not cult - mostly ;-) And a big HI (and secret handshake) to my former colleague in WI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Boricua8707

99 months ago

I was told about this job by a fellow co-worker at my present job. I was wondering what the time frame is to hear something back. I sent in my resume in saturday ( 6/23/07) I havent heard anything back. I appiled for the Bilingual Customer Serivce Rep. in Duluth, Ga. I havent heard anything back yet. I speak both Spanish and English. Any advice on how to get in? I just need another home depot isnt looking so good..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tia b in chicago, Illinois

98 months ago

I applied for a customer service position at Uline, and I would like to know what I would be tested on.
Someone please respond

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

3 yrs @ Uline in Costa Mesa, California

97 months ago

Tia b in chicago, Illinois said: I applied for a customer service position at Uline, and I would like to know what I would be tested on.
Someone please respond

For CS you will take 4 test. 1 test being a numbers speed test, another is a basic math test, then a typing test and finally a spelling test. For Mgmt you will take a personality test (Meyers-Brigg).

As for the company moving to Ontario... that is the California branch... it is moving from Lake Forest, Ca to Ontario, Ca. There is no outsourcing with the company and we are opening a branch in Canada as well. Company is headquartered in IL and is not going anywhere... and we are not a quote. The Uline style of writing is K.I.S.S- keep it simple stupid. Be direct and no fluff.

It is a good company if you can get past the test... a bit excesive, but they are there to weed out people.

Wrxatuline in Chicago, Illinois

97 months ago

The tests are excessive but worthwhile. I work there, and the biggest reason I'd suggest not to work there is they lied to me about my compensation, a difference that ended up costing me about 25,000$ a year for the past 2 yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

James in Chino, California

96 months ago

Christine in North Hollywood, California said: Well, Uline is a big company. I had a test and I passed it. When the interview started, they told me the company is going to move to Ontario next year. I was like how come you didn't tell me up front? I tooke a day off just for that interview.

How is the test structured, I have an interview in th morning... I'm i in for something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EMonroe in Los Angeles, California

92 months ago

Duane in Des Moines, Iowa said: This is a really spooky company. They always seem to be advertising for same positions. I applied several times and before I even got a reply from HR. HR person was also spooky.....she emailed me to say they were very interested in my resume, had left 2 V-mails and this would be their last effort.

Funny, I sent my resume and 5 hours later, I received a phone call from the HR representative. Skills assessment has been scheduled the following week. I'll update everyone ASAP.

If Uline are looking for a perfect employee, they would require a BS diploma to a number of positions they are advertising. Similar positions are being advertised by most company and requires a BS degree. Not in the case of Uline, which quite surprised me.

B in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said:
The comment from Chas is correct, and goes even further. You don't get any of the juicy jobs unless you are a graduate from a big 10 university.[quote]

I dont see any problem if Uline or any other company has this standard. Although they are not as big as Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, or CSC, that doesnt mean Uline cant have the same standard. If I wasnt hired by Uline just for that reason? No hard feelings, its my fault that I didnt graduate from those top 10.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

po in Gurnee, Illinois

91 months ago

uline is a horrible place to work.. i stayed on until i could find another job with a real company.i worked in the warehouse and hated it!!! i am an experienced warehouse worker but uline made me feel like a rookie!!! your daily errors are posted for eevryone to see in your department and there is no auditing controls in place. the leads are supposed to audit, and the pickers are held responsible for errors even though there is supposed to be a checker coming after them to audit. the warehouse is all speed based as there is heavy volume moving every day, safety and quality is further down the list. there is at least 1 driver getting grounded every week in lake county due to accidents or dropped material ot collisions. also seems to be much favoritism as some people can break the rules and the bosses don't care but if a non favorite breaks a rule then the rule book is thrown at them.rules vary from building to building even though we are told at orientation the rules are universal.supposed to be non smoking sites but most of the leads/managers that smoke do it in plain sight outside.the training is terrible, you really have to learn on your own by observing and asking questions.overall, a very disrespectful environment, more like the military or construction job atmosphere, some people stay there because they do not have the professionalism to get hired at a real big corporation.extremely unprofessional, direct verbal confrontations no code of conduct to speak of.if you are aloudmouth, beer drinking, smoking, tattoed with a 18 year olds mentality they will like you. if you are clean cut, respectful,professional mature adult you don't fit in the warehouse profile. that has been my experience. uline is a growing company that is expanding into canada, but it's because of the products they distribute, not their professionalism.i would not recommend uline to anyone. the turnover rate is over 10%.. why do they offer signing bonuses? wonder why so many leave uline?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

oc man in garden grove, California

91 months ago

The greatest thing about this place is that for people that come in with a degree and think they're going to the God's gift to Uline is that you are soon brought back down to earth. Auditing is in place to prevent damaged product from leaving the warehouse. Uline pays their pickers-well above the average salary of a comparable job-to pick correctly, this is why they get stuck with the errors. Also you may think Managers and leads are not held responsible, but they are graded based on departmental error rate and therefore do not escape any errors. Also Uline is expanding into Canada to provide faster service to our Canadian customers and to get a deeper penetration of the market there...We are also relocating to Ontario, Ca due to the rapid growth of business on the Western side of the country.

Harry Besahven in duluth, Georgia

90 months ago

po in Gurnee, Illinois said: uline is a horrible place to work.. i stayed on until i could find another job with a real company.i worked in the warehouse and hated it!!! i am an experienced warehouse worker but uline made me feel like a rookie!!! your daily errors are posted for eevryone to see in your department and there is no auditing controls in place......Errors are Enemy #1 ! Uline. Who made the error? You. Who pays for the error? The customer and ultimately Uline. Accountability....... the leads are supposed to audit, and the pickers are held responsible for errors even though there is supposed to be a checker coming after them to audit........This made me laugh. So as a picker you can pick whatever product you feel like and someone else is supposed to clean up the mess that you create? Again, Accountability......... the warehouse is all speed based as there is heavy volume moving every day, safety and quality is further down the list......Sooo, if the volume is heavy, then the production should match the volume no? That's Warehouse Distribution 101..... there is at least 1 driver getting grounded every week in lake county due to accidents or dropped material ot collisions. ......Should someone who is consistently putting other ppl. in danger be able to continue driving a 10,000+ Lbs. vehicle?
The problem is the employee is held accountable for their errors. Many people nowadays do not like being held accountable for things. They are singled out. They are on the list with every other picker,packer, CSR that happens to have made an error that day. Take a minute and absorb what you have written here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Harry Besahven in duluth, Georgia

90 months ago

I want to correct something.
I meant to write
They are NOT singled out. Everyone in the Dept that makes an error that day will be posted on a computer printout. The only reason is to hopefully learn from the mistake. Picker A, might see what picker B did with an item, and learn to be careful when they come across that item.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wondering Wanda in Saint Paul, Minnesota

89 months ago

Hi Martha,

You said that people should use spell check, well... are you aware that "ain't" and "cuz" aren't words? Where did YOU go to school?

And YOU were rambling about qualifications!?

Wow... clearly the tests at Uline don't weed out those who don't know proper grammar. And let me guess, do you work in HR? Sounds to me like you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JILES STRUNK in Boca Raton, Florida

89 months ago

Heard that Uline wants to open a place in Florida. Looking for a sales job. Your comments

Lizardman Watchyourfingers in Yellowknife, Yukon

86 months ago

JILES STRUNK in Boca Raton, Florida said: Heard that Uline wants to open a place in Florida. Looking for a sales job. Your comments

Depends on what you are willing to sacrifice. Maybe Uline is for you, I would say most people its not. The ones that say it is, have mental problems or are in denial.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fbman in Duluth, Georgia

83 months ago

oc man in garden grove, California said: The greatest thing about this place is that for people that come in with a degree and think they're going to the God's gift to Uline is that you are soon brought back down to earth. Auditing is in place to prevent damaged product from leaving the warehouse. Uline pays their pickers-well above the average salary of a comparable job-to pick correctly, this is why they get stuck with the errors. Also you may think Managers and leads are not held responsible, but they are graded based on departmental error rate and therefore do not escape any errors. Also Uline is expanding into Canada to provide faster service to our Canadian customers and to get a deeper penetration of the market there...We are also relocating to Ontario, Ca due to the rapid growth of business on the Western side of the country.

OC Man seems to be a bit brained-washed... Strange comments "expanding into Canada to provide faster service to our Canadian customers..." I guess he was not told about FEDEX and other shipping methods. You don't relocate your business to another country to improve deliveries. There is much more that he was not told.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Work Place Blogs in California

83 months ago

fbman in Duluth, Georgia said: OC Man seems to be a bit brained-washed... Strange comments "expanding into Canada to provide faster service to our Canadian customers..." I guess he was not told about FEDEX and other shipping methods. You don't relocate your business to another country to improve deliveries. There is much more that he was not told.

Dude, your an idiot. It does speed up times- now the packages don't have to go through customs or deal with tariffs/duties. If the product is coming out of Canada the product isn't hit with these fees or possible delays. Think before you speak... as Tom Cruise states don't be glib. HAHA. They didn't relocate to Canada- they opened a new branch there. Company HQ is currrently located in IL and moving to WI once the new HQ is opened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Waredogg in Racine, Wisconsin

83 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

They just announced that Daryl Hall from "Hall and Oates" fame is going to be the new president. THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Isal in Ontario, California

78 months ago

Waredogg in Racine, Wisconsin said: They just announced that Daryl Hall from "Hall and Oates" fame is going to be the new president. THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!

Check your resources. Yes, this was a joke. Apparentely, the Uihleins have a sense of humor.
As for my opinion of Uline- I've worked there for 3 years now & find it is a great company. They take care of their employees with nice raises, bonuses, etc. It definitely has a culture all it's own, but if you can get used to it, it's not bad. Sounds like most people on here are bitter because they weren't hired.

LB in Chicago, Illinois

77 months ago

Isal in Ontario, California said: Sounds like most people on here are bitter because they weren't hired.

Not me. When recruiters call or email with positions in that area I always start the conversation with "is this uLine"? That lets me get off the phone quickly if they reply in the affirmative. I'm one of those thinking women that wouldn't fit in there at all.

If you're a good foot-soldier with the right CV, this might be the place for you. If you've been schooled in TPS or some other quality management system, you're going to be a square peg in a round hole here. They'd probably reject you outright anyway.

Given how many rules they break in the successful company playbook, their growth is nothing short of amazing. I hope it continues and they can keep making payroll for the people that do work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bigjason in Mississauga, Ontario

76 months ago

Isal in Ontario, California said: Check your resources. Yes, this was a joke. Apparentely, the Uihleins have a sense of humor.
As for my opinion of Uline- I've worked there for 3 years now & find it is a great company. They take care of their employees with nice raises, bonuses, etc. It definitely has a culture all it's own, but if you can get used to it, it's not bad. Sounds like most people on here are bitter because they weren't hired.

I did get hired and I quit because of how awful the place was run. It was like highschool all over again, and far from professional. I've worked in other places and I have to admit it was mentally painful everyday to revert back to an ancient way of doing things. It was like being used to using a Dual Core computer with a broadband connection to using a 486 with a 14.4K dial up modem, working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Guaranteed Service in Norcross, Georgia

76 months ago

bigjason in Toronto hit the nail head on...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sneaky sneak in Tonga

73 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J in San Diego, California

23 months ago

B in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I'm putting only a letter as my ID because I used to work there. You are all correct in suspecting some strange things. The comment from Chas is correct, and goes even further. You don't get any of the juicy jobs unless you are a graduate from a big 10 university. In fact, you won't even get the courtesy of a "thanks but no thanks" call/letter. That personality test you took is called Myers-Briggs and is by far the worst "personality" assessment to administer for determining success or right fit for the job. They administer that test to see if you have the right coding for the position applied for. ESTJ, ISTJ... extroverted/introverted, thinking/feeling, sensing/intuitive, judging/perceiving... So to be a sales rep you need to be an ESTJ, to be in finance you need to be ISTJ etc. I used to work closely with " HR " in this respect. If your "test" results end up with the wrong letter combination for the job, you won't get it. That's why the same positions keep coming up on all the job boards, they just haven't found the right "letters" or you didn't go to the right school. It's unfortunate because I did enjoy working there, however they had a nasty habit of coming in and reorganizing departments to get rid of undesirables. Sneaky. Also, just because I was in once doesn't mean I'll get in again. I tried applying for one of their positions and was turned down cold. Not even a phone call just some crummy email. I'll check back to see if anyone made further down the trail to grandma's house. I could tell you some stories.....

B-
I am very interested to speak to you in regard to an opportunity you may be qualified for. If you are interested please let me know and we can arrange a time to speak. Thanks!

nick in King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

I am applying for an developer post, can you please tell me the combination for an IT developer.
I have ENTJ.

B in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I'm putting only a letter as my ID because I used to work there. You are all correct in suspecting some strange things. The comment from Chas is correct, and goes even further. You don't get any of the juicy jobs unless you are a graduate from a big 10 university. In fact, you won't even get the courtesy of a "thanks but no thanks" call/letter. That personality test you took is called Myers-Briggs and is by far the worst "personality" assessment to administer for determining success or right fit for the job. They administer that test to see if you have the right coding for the position applied for. ESTJ, ISTJ... extroverted/introverted, thinking/feeling, sensing/intuitive, judging/perceiving... So to be a sales rep you need to be an ESTJ, to be in finance you need to be ISTJ etc. I used to work closely with " HR " in this respect. If your "test" results end up with the wrong letter combination for the job, you won't get it. That's why the same positions keep coming up on all the job boards, they just haven't found the right "letters" or you didn't go to the right school. It's unfortunate because I did enjoy working there, however they had a nasty habit of coming in and reorganizing departments to get rid of undesirables. Sneaky. Also, just because I was in once doesn't mean I'll get in again. I tried applying for one of their positions and was turned down cold. Not even a phone call just some crummy email. I'll check back to see if anyone made further down the trail to grandma's house. I could tell you some stories.....

nick in King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

I am applying for an developer post, can you please tell me the combination for an IT developer.
I have ENTJ.

J in San Diego, California said: B-
I am very interested to speak to you in regard to an opportunity you may be qualified for. If you are interested please let me know and we can arrange a time to speak. Thanks!

FYI in Grayslake, Illinois

22 days ago

Even if you have a Bachelor's degree, if it is not related to the job you are applying for they won't hire you. Red flags to be aware of are employment gaps. Make sure you have a great explanation. At the end of the day, just apply elsewhere. Volunteer experience in between jobs is not an acceptable excuse or reasoning, just so you know.

Testing in Grayslake, Illinois

22 days ago

Know there are two tests that you have to take in the Grayslake office which includes matching two set of nunbers (four oages worth) and figuring out the sequence of numbers by placing what two numbers come next (one page). Good luck to all that try!

wasted time in Grayslake, Illinois

22 days ago

I went in for an interview which went quite well. So did shadowing an employee and testing. I wasn't offered the position because of my Bachelor's of Science degree. So why did uline waste my time with an interview if that was clearly stated on my resume?

no personality in Grayslake, Illinois

22 days ago

There were no personality testing at Grayslake's site

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.