Uline News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Uline stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Big Dog in Des Moines, Iowa

114 months ago

My experience was completely online, emails, and calls for a sales position, so I did not do the math test....only a "writing" test, a sales apptitude test and a personality test. The sales part was a slam dunk...basic sales 101, with several possible correct answers....Uline seems to think that sales is a science, not an art! The personality test was the usual bullsh*t companies do these days......but, allegedly the "scores" looked in-line (according to the online assessment guide)for a sales "personality". The writing "test" was the really spooky part though....it was not really a test.....this is where the cult part came in....the instructions explained that Uline gave this test to assess if candidates could write the Uline way.....WHAT??!!

The test consisted of rewriting a passage or summarizing the passage into bullet points.....WHAT?! Although spooky, it was High School 101 and I thought I did well. Uline made it seem like this was something they invented and that it was a big part of actually selling. The entire experience had a Stepford Wives approach and feel to it. The base salary was only about $33,000 with a company car. They seem to want people straight out of college, yet have a ton of experience and will take orders without questions.

About 2 weeks later I received an email claiming I had great skills, but they were going with someone else who looked better. I was not given "scores" on anything.......I think the couple who started this company are either into voodoo, damn lucky in business or now senile.Good luck to applicants.....sounds like Jonestown!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Big Dog in Johnston, Iowa

114 months ago

Thanks for input, but I have given up on Uline.....starting salary of mid-30's and a car is just not worth the effort to be quite honest.
BTW I am a salesperson, a strong salesperson, but those damn evaluation tests are just nonsense, particularly when they will not tell you how you performed and what they mean....it is kind of ridiculous when you cannot even get a FTF interview.....seems like they would at least want to meet someone before they determined you could not sell!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Martha Washington in Milford, Connecticut

113 months ago

Sour grapes! Just cuz you can't get a job there because you're not educated or qualified enough. Bunch of whiners. You should be so lucky to work for such an amazing company. I worked for them for more years than I've worked in any other job . (Real name withheld to protect the not-so-innocent). The zillions of job postings are because they continue to grow at a phenomenal rate. They can afford to have high standards because they're the best at what they do.
Canada. BFD. Heard of NAFTA? The Bottom Line? Expansion principles of economics? At least it ain't India...although I'd love to hear those CSRs. Common sense tells me they said they were moving a particular job, not the entire company, to Canada, or opening a new distribution center....(Some helpful hints for job searchers - do some research on the company and position you're applying for)....but my instincts tell me it was a way to say "Thanks, but no thanks" to the applicant. Chances are you'll never really know why you don't get hired anywhere - legal issues - getting a "Thanks but no thanks" letter is a professional courtesy, not a requirement.
INTJ/ENTJ/smeejay....I've also worked in recruiting for years and you wouldn't believe the people who apply for jobs they think they are qualified for and don't have the slightest clue. (USE SPELL CHECK PEOPLE!!) ANY screening qualification weeds out the obviously-not-qualified and when you're dealing with 1000 applications per single job opening you're not so keen on wasting time with the marginally qualified. The French, among others, do handwriting analysis. How'dya like to suffer that little indignity? (my "y"s indicate I have, um, a sort of kinky disposition-u want your employer 2 know that sort of info!?!?)
All companies have a corporate "voice" that, like it or not, you'll have to speak in for different occassions. It's all about corporate culture - not cult - mostly ;-) And a big HI (and secret handshake) to my former colleague in WI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

fbman in Duluth, Georgia

97 months ago

oc man in garden grove, California said: The greatest thing about this place is that for people that come in with a degree and think they're going to the God's gift to Uline is that you are soon brought back down to earth. Auditing is in place to prevent damaged product from leaving the warehouse. Uline pays their pickers-well above the average salary of a comparable job-to pick correctly, this is why they get stuck with the errors. Also you may think Managers and leads are not held responsible, but they are graded based on departmental error rate and therefore do not escape any errors. Also Uline is expanding into Canada to provide faster service to our Canadian customers and to get a deeper penetration of the market there...We are also relocating to Ontario, Ca due to the rapid growth of business on the Western side of the country.

OC Man seems to be a bit brained-washed... Strange comments "expanding into Canada to provide faster service to our Canadian customers..." I guess he was not told about FEDEX and other shipping methods. You don't relocate your business to another country to improve deliveries. There is much more that he was not told.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Work Place Blogs in California

97 months ago

fbman in Duluth, Georgia said: OC Man seems to be a bit brained-washed... Strange comments "expanding into Canada to provide faster service to our Canadian customers..." I guess he was not told about FEDEX and other shipping methods. You don't relocate your business to another country to improve deliveries. There is much more that he was not told.

Dude, your an idiot. It does speed up times- now the packages don't have to go through customs or deal with tariffs/duties. If the product is coming out of Canada the product isn't hit with these fees or possible delays. Think before you speak... as Tom Cruise states don't be glib. HAHA. They didn't relocate to Canada- they opened a new branch there. Company HQ is currrently located in IL and moving to WI once the new HQ is opened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Waredogg in Racine, Wisconsin

97 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Uline stack up against the competition?

They just announced that Daryl Hall from "Hall and Oates" fame is going to be the new president. THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Isal in Ontario, California

91 months ago

Waredogg in Racine, Wisconsin said: They just announced that Daryl Hall from "Hall and Oates" fame is going to be the new president. THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!

Check your resources. Yes, this was a joke. Apparentely, the Uihleins have a sense of humor.
As for my opinion of Uline- I've worked there for 3 years now & find it is a great company. They take care of their employees with nice raises, bonuses, etc. It definitely has a culture all it's own, but if you can get used to it, it's not bad. Sounds like most people on here are bitter because they weren't hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LB in Chicago, Illinois

90 months ago

Isal in Ontario, California said: Sounds like most people on here are bitter because they weren't hired.

Not me. When recruiters call or email with positions in that area I always start the conversation with "is this uLine"? That lets me get off the phone quickly if they reply in the affirmative. I'm one of those thinking women that wouldn't fit in there at all.

If you're a good foot-soldier with the right CV, this might be the place for you. If you've been schooled in TPS or some other quality management system, you're going to be a square peg in a round hole here. They'd probably reject you outright anyway.

Given how many rules they break in the successful company playbook, their growth is nothing short of amazing. I hope it continues and they can keep making payroll for the people that do work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bigjason in Mississauga, Ontario

90 months ago

Isal in Ontario, California said: Check your resources. Yes, this was a joke. Apparentely, the Uihleins have a sense of humor.
As for my opinion of Uline- I've worked there for 3 years now & find it is a great company. They take care of their employees with nice raises, bonuses, etc. It definitely has a culture all it's own, but if you can get used to it, it's not bad. Sounds like most people on here are bitter because they weren't hired.

I did get hired and I quit because of how awful the place was run. It was like highschool all over again, and far from professional. I've worked in other places and I have to admit it was mentally painful everyday to revert back to an ancient way of doing things. It was like being used to using a Dual Core computer with a broadband connection to using a 486 with a 14.4K dial up modem, working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Guaranteed Service in Norcross, Georgia

90 months ago

bigjason in Toronto hit the nail head on...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sneaky sneak in Tonga

86 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

J in San Diego, California

36 months ago

B in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I'm putting only a letter as my ID because I used to work there. You are all correct in suspecting some strange things. The comment from Chas is correct, and goes even further. You don't get any of the juicy jobs unless you are a graduate from a big 10 university. In fact, you won't even get the courtesy of a "thanks but no thanks" call/letter. That personality test you took is called Myers-Briggs and is by far the worst "personality" assessment to administer for determining success or right fit for the job. They administer that test to see if you have the right coding for the position applied for. ESTJ, ISTJ... extroverted/introverted, thinking/feeling, sensing/intuitive, judging/perceiving... So to be a sales rep you need to be an ESTJ, to be in finance you need to be ISTJ etc. I used to work closely with " HR " in this respect. If your "test" results end up with the wrong letter combination for the job, you won't get it. That's why the same positions keep coming up on all the job boards, they just haven't found the right "letters" or you didn't go to the right school. It's unfortunate because I did enjoy working there, however they had a nasty habit of coming in and reorganizing departments to get rid of undesirables. Sneaky. Also, just because I was in once doesn't mean I'll get in again. I tried applying for one of their positions and was turned down cold. Not even a phone call just some crummy email. I'll check back to see if anyone made further down the trail to grandma's house. I could tell you some stories.....

B-
I am very interested to speak to you in regard to an opportunity you may be qualified for. If you are interested please let me know and we can arrange a time to speak. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nick in King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

I am applying for an developer post, can you please tell me the combination for an IT developer.
I have ENTJ.

B in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I'm putting only a letter as my ID because I used to work there. You are all correct in suspecting some strange things. The comment from Chas is correct, and goes even further. You don't get any of the juicy jobs unless you are a graduate from a big 10 university. In fact, you won't even get the courtesy of a "thanks but no thanks" call/letter. That personality test you took is called Myers-Briggs and is by far the worst "personality" assessment to administer for determining success or right fit for the job. They administer that test to see if you have the right coding for the position applied for. ESTJ, ISTJ... extroverted/introverted, thinking/feeling, sensing/intuitive, judging/perceiving... So to be a sales rep you need to be an ESTJ, to be in finance you need to be ISTJ etc. I used to work closely with " HR " in this respect. If your "test" results end up with the wrong letter combination for the job, you won't get it. That's why the same positions keep coming up on all the job boards, they just haven't found the right "letters" or you didn't go to the right school. It's unfortunate because I did enjoy working there, however they had a nasty habit of coming in and reorganizing departments to get rid of undesirables. Sneaky. Also, just because I was in once doesn't mean I'll get in again. I tried applying for one of their positions and was turned down cold. Not even a phone call just some crummy email. I'll check back to see if anyone made further down the trail to grandma's house. I could tell you some stories.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nick in King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

I am applying for an developer post, can you please tell me the combination for an IT developer.
I have ENTJ.

J in San Diego, California said: B-
I am very interested to speak to you in regard to an opportunity you may be qualified for. If you are interested please let me know and we can arrange a time to speak. Thanks!

FYI in Grayslake, Illinois

13 months ago

Even if you have a Bachelor's degree, if it is not related to the job you are applying for they won't hire you. Red flags to be aware of are employment gaps. Make sure you have a great explanation. At the end of the day, just apply elsewhere. Volunteer experience in between jobs is not an acceptable excuse or reasoning, just so you know.

Testing in Grayslake, Illinois

13 months ago

Know there are two tests that you have to take in the Grayslake office which includes matching two set of nunbers (four oages worth) and figuring out the sequence of numbers by placing what two numbers come next (one page). Good luck to all that try!

wasted time in Grayslake, Illinois

13 months ago

I went in for an interview which went quite well. So did shadowing an employee and testing. I wasn't offered the position because of my Bachelor's of Science degree. So why did uline waste my time with an interview if that was clearly stated on my resume?

no personality in Grayslake, Illinois

13 months ago

There were no personality testing at Grayslake's site

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.