How to get a job at Uline.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 293)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Uline? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

pattij257@yahoo.com in Schaumburg, Illinois

90 months ago

looking to work at uline but cannot get an interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (163) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

j. mathis in Atlanta, Georgia

90 months ago

getting a job at uline is a joke you have to take so many test. the test you dont understand. the test dont have anything to do with the job you aply for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (100) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Whis in Farmington, Minnesota

89 months ago

I have no ideal why uline is always hiring. Here in Minnesota they run help wanted all year for every positions you could every ask for. Most be a bad company to work for that no one will stay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Wood Dale, Illinois

89 months ago

I have to second that. I can't put myself to apply again just for the fear they have a probation period for benefits and cut you before you're eligible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Evanston, Illinois

89 months ago

Ted said: I couldn't disagree more. Uline is a fanatstic organization to work for, I've been there over 6 years. The growth is a direct reflection of the dedication and quality of people we have. The interview process is not easy, which is a good thing.

Ted:
sorry but I have to bring this up but....
1: if it is such a great place to work and you love it, why are you on a job posting web board?
2: You have to admit it is somewhat intereting that the same Apps Manager, and Query posting have been posted several time for several months on different websites.

Just wondering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Plano, Texas

89 months ago

I took a test, had an enterview. They sent me an email saying the found somebody moor quilified. Yet I see a posting for One day ago. I dont know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Arlington, Texas

89 months ago

I agree. This is a "wild guess"...
I believe the reason those of you that posted a response were intelligent enough to use a message board, but lacked the intelligence to correct your spelling and grammar.
Your errors were unsightly!
Anyhow, my question is regards to the hiring process at Uline. I have a friend that applied to Uline. He was offered the job, but the company later rescinded the offer due to his references. But the thing is...none of his references were called.
Uline was animate about calling his current employer which I thought was odd due to the fact that it is non uncommon for some employers to be vidictive about their employees leaving for a "bigger and better opportunities".
Why would Uline call a current employer for a reference?
And if they needed to verify employment, they can easily use a paystub or W-2.
Any comments???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

John in Aliso Viejo, California

89 months ago

Agree with Susan. Worked for them in Lake Forest back in 2000. I have seen there ads continuously since, no exaggeration. They even contract temp agencies to hire for them.

Never seen such high turnover or such continuous and desperate recruitment efforts. In one month I was offered them by 4 different temp agencies. I always laughed and refused.

Management put employees under intense scrutiny. They randomly listen in on your calls and critique you if you spent what they feel is too much time. Heard the mantra "managing the caller" many times. Every day we were given a sheet describing our activity times. Even down to how many times I went to the restroom, and how long I took. They really micro-manage. The day I left was one of the more memorable and happy days of my life. I believe they would do better recruiting from former Iron Curtaing countries, or anywhere where people are not used to personal freedoms and privacy we enjoy. The restrooms was just a bit too much. But they had many more pet peeves.

To be fair they might have changed. But, judging from the many and continuous ads for help, I doubt it. If anyone is looking for warehouse, might be better off. I noticed morale in warehouse was much better than the call center.

Caveat Emptor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John in Aliso Viejo, California

89 months ago

I can only tell about my experience and observations in Lake Forest CA. Uline here starts at $17 for CS reps, fringe benefits start at day one, $100 cash bonus every week sales goals are hit. Why does a company that compensates that well need to spend so much effort recruiting? And why has that gone on for years?

I would hazard to say that they are well known at Pennysaver, Monster, and other employee recruitment type businesses. There are MANY companies that do not compensate quite well that Never have to advertise or contract employment agencies. They receive enough resumes just by word of mouth.

My opinion IS that all out effort is used on recruiting, almost none on employee retention.

I have never seen Harvard University advertising for students. They turn students away; And you have to Pay huge money to go there.

I suggest talking informally with current workers at the place you are applying. In my experience, shouldn't be hard to find several opinions. Wish I had done that sooner in my life. I was lured from a company (FKM)and coworkers that I loved for their promise of sales training in Chicago and compensation. I do have to thank them for teaching me a lifelong lesson. Beware of my own greed.

Peace be with you and quick success in your pursuits.
JESUS is AWESOME

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Peechuz in Englewood, Colorado

88 months ago

John, any thoughts on the Lake Forest management style? I am considering a position in admin and would like to know if these issues are visible when working for them. Believe you mentioned that you worked there back in 2000 - I am wondering if the micromanagement is seen at the senior level management or just within the customer service/call center department. Any responses would be appreciative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Carbondale, Illinois

88 months ago

I would like some input about the Waukegan, IL. Coporate office. I have an interview for a internet/ad job and was wondering about the work culture there. Some comments make the company sound rather negative and unstable. Is it worth interviewing for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ross in Marietta, Georgia

88 months ago

j. mathis in Atlanta, Georgia said: getting a job at uline is a joke you have to take so many test. the test you dont understand. the test dont have anything to do with the job you aply for.

I ALSO AGREE ULINE HAS MUCH TURN OVER AND IS ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SALES PEOPLE IT IS NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK THEY DO NOT PAY GOOD AND YOU WORK LONG HOURS IN SALES

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Irving, Texas

88 months ago

Ted in Wood Dale, Illinois said: I couldn't disagree more. Uline is a fanatstic organization to work for, I've been there over 6 years. The growth is a direct reflection of the dedication and quality of people we have. The interview process is not easy, which is a good thing.

Ah! Now this is the kind of attitude I like to see from an employee perspective. I am so glad you took the time to post a response. I am in Coppell and I have been considering Uline as and employee for a time now. I am glad to read that they are selective about hirinig. I want to make a contribution to business that is willing to so much for me. It's a big responsibility to be an employer, a big company, and an even bigger job to create and maintain a high priority emphasis on investment in human resources. I take the positions of front line customer contact seriously. Representing and servicing the customer is a VERY important consideration. There is, of course, the financial investment, and an ongoing trust factor that must exisit for both company and employee to depend on the other. It is NOT EASY to select the best candidates for consideration of employment; not mention the following considerations involved to determine selection in effort to hire someone that perform at their best.

It's one thing to identify the best of the best and an entirely different exercise to identify the the qualities and sensibilities of an employment candidate that will DO the best for the company. That is about a person's value system, personal integrity and belief system.

No wonder there was mention of "wacky tests" and seemingly unorthodox company contact(s). It is probably not easy to test or interview for the qualities that identify a human's intentions to invest their personal and professional best in the company that invests so heavily in them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Irving, Texas

88 months ago

anonymous in Arlington, Texas said: I agree. This is a "wild guess"...
I believe the reason those of you that posted a response were intelligent enough to use a message board, but lacked the intelligence to correct your spelling and grammar.
Anyhow, my question is regards to the hiring process at Uline. I have a friend that applied to Uline. He was offered the job, but the company later rescinded the offer due to his references. But the thing is...none of his references were called.
Uline was animate about calling his current employer which I thought was odd due to the fact that it is non uncommon for some employers to be vidictive about their employees leaving for a "bigger and better opportunities".
Any comments???

IRONIC - - - - -

"intelligent enough to use a message board, but lacked the intelligence to correct your spelling and grammar.
Your errors were unsightly!"

Whoa! Check yourself. I would go by ANONYMOUS if I were you too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

S

88 months ago

Whoa!
Ok firstly - who cares about spelling on a message board - I am sure you all would be a lot more accurate if you were typing a job application.
Secondly - I live in Plano Tx and have applied to Uline a couple of times and received the brush off- even though I have over 25 years experience in the cust. serv. industry - they are just like many other companies - they dont care to recruit people who are either more qualified than the HR reps or someone who could have a brain of their own!They usually just want phone monkey's or people who the management can manipulate.
Thirdly - any company who speds so much time advertising new and many job positions - must have a big problem with staff turnover - no company grows that fast. So steer clear.
Other companies with long convaluted recruitment interviews are Cap One and TXU - Gee do they drag it out! I have managed to get thru to the fianl interview stage on both of these - Cap one - turned me down with no reason given (Though I suspect that it was because when talking to the interviewers its was fairly obvious I was more qualified than they were!) and TXU - well I never even heard from them again - no emails - no calls- even after several follow ups!Probably becuase they were taken over - but who knows!

The conclusion? - It might look like a huge job market out there - but 50% are just agencies collecting resumes- 30% of the HR depts are incompetent - ie Home Depot - 18% of the jobs are fictious and dont even exist - that leaves probably 2 jobs from a 100 that are genuine. Its great to see feed back from everyone on this job board - its makes one realise what a con most of the jobs are!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Leslie in Libertyville, IL in Wheeling, Illinois

88 months ago

How about the family / owners themselves - does anyone have any feedback on the Uihlein family? At the interview I was told "they are very involved in day-to-day operations” - is this codespeak for tyrants, micro-managers, etc.? Are the Uihleins friendly, affable, fairminded, professional people?

I have worked extensively in large, public-traded companies - how does this large privately-held company compare in terms of employee treatment, satisfaction, morale, etc.?

P.S. - Thanks in advance for any feedback. I feel that this well help any and all of us decide if Uline deserves any of us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I just got done with the phone interview part. The rep said 3-5 days and they would call. Has anyone gone through this process? Will they all you if you aren't considered?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Madz in illinois in Yorkville, Illinois said: Hi
What questions did they ask during the phone interview? I just finished with the initial assessment tests.

What position and location are you applying to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ross in Marietta, Georgia

88 months ago

S said: Whoa!
Ok firstly - who cares about spelling on a message board - I am sure you all would be a lot more accurate if you were typing a job application.
Secondly - I live in Plano Tx and have applied to Uline a couple of times and received the brush off- even though I have over 25 years experience in the cust. serv. industry - they are just like many other companies - they dont care to recruit people who are either more qualified than the HR reps or someone who could have a brain of their own!They usually just want phone monkey's or people who the management can manipulate.
Thirdly - any company who speds so much time advertising new and many job positions - must have a big problem with staff turnover - no company grows that fast. So steer clear.
Other companies with long convaluted recruitment interviews are Cap One and TXU - Gee do they drag it out! I have managed to get thru to the fianl interview stage on both of these - Cap one - turned me down with no reason given (Though I suspect that it was because when talking to the interviewers its was fairly obvious I was more qualified than they were!) and TXU - well I never even heard from them again - no emails - no calls- even after several follow ups!Probably becuase they were taken over - but who knows!

The conclusion? - It might look like a huge job market out there - but 50% are just agencies collecting resumes- 30% of the HR depts are incompetent - ie Home Depot - 18% of the jobs are fictious and dont even exist - that leaves probably 2 jobs from a 100 that are genuine. Its great to see feed back from everyone on this job board - its makes one realise what a con most of the jobs are!

they are always adding on positions foe sales especially. they go through sales people weekly. You have to spend 2 days per week in the office making appointments if you can and are expected to check in all of the time. this company goes through more bs with tests and such.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Arlington, Texas in Arlington, Texas

88 months ago

Nancy in Irving, Texas said: IRONIC - - - - -

"intelligent enough to use a message board, but lacked the intelligence to correct your spelling and grammar.
Your errors were unsightly!"

Whoa! Check yourself. I would go by ANONYMOUS if I were you too!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess you perusing the Uline message board to play grammar and spelling police. But to clarify, my point was regarding the unintelligent remarks regarding Uline's hiring process.
If you are familiar with the warehousing industry, then you would know that there are not too many people with EXPERT skills in computers. Just before the first interview with Uline, all applicants are required to take tests in math and personality/performance tests. With that being said, Uline expects a little more than the average warehouse worker.
But...is it for the right reasons? If a company expects more, shouldn't they pay above or at least at the average pay scale for that position. Uline doesn't. My advice to those with not the best spelling and grammar, but work hard: Look for jobs at the freight docks. They offer competitive pay with part-time positions beginning at $15 an hour and full-time positions starting at $19.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Irving in Irving, Texas

88 months ago

You know...look at your caustic message pounding people's intellegence for grammatical errors and making an equation indicating low intellegence and have you read your "errors" grammatical and otherwise. My point was it being a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Why are you still stuck responding to all this reply business regarding one company? No, sincerely, how come you just don't move on other avenues to investigate if employment is what you are after? It wasn't an attack on you personally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Madz in illinois in Yorkville, Illinois

88 months ago

Hi

I am looking at a sales postion in Illinois.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Irving, Texas in New York, New York

88 months ago

anonymous in Arlington, Texas said: I agree. This is a "wild guess"...
Any comments???

I agree with you comments. I'm looking into the coppell location for employment. What can you tell me about the pre-employment tests?
Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Plano, Texas

88 months ago

I had an interview. Took some test. Past the test. I thought it went alright. Until they said that they would call me if they had another position. They had found somebody else more qualified. The job was still posted a couple days later. I don't know if I was over qualified , but I never called back for a second interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Christopher Dennis in Minneapolis, Minnesota

88 months ago

I applied at the Eagan Mn. Uline and when I did a follow up call all I got was a serious attitude! The HR rep. was rude and disrespectful so I told them I could not work for that type of a company that treated a potetial employee like dirt.
Come on, If they treat some one applying like that, how would they actually treat an employee aleady there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ricky Bobby in Kenosha, Wisconsin

88 months ago

Sounds like a lot of people are bitter that they did not get a job! If Uline is so desperate for employees, why didn't they hire you?

Did you ever think that the reason the same jobs are posted multiple times is because several people hold the same position? That's how large companies work. There isn't just one Query Analyst, for example. We're not talking about the FedEx/Kinko's on the corner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Illbehappytohelpyou in Dallas, Texas

88 months ago

"Did you ever think that the reason the same jobs are posted multiple times is because several people hold the same position?"

Not applicable, my friend.

Uline posts with a desperate, fervent neediness apparent in their job description. And, if you review the above posts, you will see that the only people who defend Uline as a good employer, those same people ramble on and on like a brochure for the company.

Jobs being posted multiple times- that's different than the SAME job(s) posted continuously, with no type of courteous response, telling applicants that HR is looking for MORE or LESS qualified applicants, just a response that states that more qualified people were found- WHILE the job remains obviously unfilled, because the add recurs, constantly.

Such recurring ad placement means one of three things: 1) The HR cannot accurately pick who is MOST qualified 2) The newly hired employees cannot stand the work requirements [which may explain the overzealous care in hiring them- high turnover rate due to employee dissatisfaction] 3) The Uline company is expanding at such a gargantuan rate, that it will soon clog all of our rivers and roadways.

One of the above was a joke, by the way. Seriously, however, Uline does seem to want "Fresh Meat," as opposed to people who have excellent, proven call center CS experience.

Probably just another all-out sales-or-go-home position, with a "Why didn't you make that sale?", meet quota NOW, or get fired, attitude- posing as a "customer service" position.

If your resume shows true CS background, with sales as a secondary strength, or if you have more than 3 years experience- don't bother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in IL

87 months ago

Oh boy... they called me for an interview for a management position. I didn't have a phone interview, just got a voicemail letting me know that they wanted to interview me. Now I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone had experience with their IT department?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ricky Bobby in Kenosha, Wisconsin

87 months ago

Have no fear. If you search hard enough, there are complaints like these about every company. All of these people are simply bitter because they didn't get hired.

Clearly, other employers aren't fighting over them either, because they have plenty of free time to complain on internet message boards.

Pay no attention to the complaints about multiple postings. Most departments are always hiring due to continuous growth. Just because the same job titles keep showing up doesn't mean that nobody is being hired for them.

Sure, Uline is picky about who they hire. If you're going to apply, put together a quality cover letter and resume with no grammar mistakes. If you don't have one already, you can find a great format to copy somewhere on the internet. Answer the interview questions correctly (they're typical). The tests, while plentiful, are also not difficult. If you're invited for an in-person interview, dress professionally (suit and tie).

If you have a business degree from a quality institution, you know these things already and should have a good shot at being hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

BEN SUPER in Marietta, Georgia

87 months ago

ULINE IS ALWAYS ADVERTISING FOR SALES PEOPLE HERE IN ATLANTA. THEY LOSE MANY PEOPLE IN SALES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in IL.. in Avalon, Wisconsin

87 months ago

anonymous in IL said: Oh boy... they called me for an interview for a management position. I didn't have a phone interview, just got a voicemail letting me know that they wanted to interview me. Now I'm having second thoughts. Has anyone had experience with their IT department?

I was interview 2 years ago for a Warehouse Manager position in IL. I had a phone interview then went in for an in person interview. I recieved the Uline "rejection" letter two weeks later. Shortly after I got a job as a manager at another company. Now wouldn't you know it, several people at my new job also interview with Uline, and of course did not get hired. This seems to be the way Uline operates. I'm not sure what the logic behind it is? But the facts show that they continue to post the Same Job Positions on Every Job Search board, Every week. They also have job fairs regularly. Now it's been two years since I applied with Uline and what do you know....Here they are again, two years later....Same Uline management Jobs positions on Every Board, Posted Every Week.

My opinion, I wouldn't trust a company that operates this way. It's down right crazy. Eventually people will catch on as they see the same job posts week after week, year after year, board after board! I believe Uline is only hurting themselves. They will not attract ambitious professional who will be a real value to the company. The word will get around. Uline will be known as the company to stay away from. A company that obviously places no value on people who are earnestly looking for a job.

It seems to just be a game for Uline. But at the end I don't believe it's a game that will bring them far. Eventually I believe it will catch up with them. People who are seriously seeking employment will cringe when they see Uline job posting. Eventually confidence will slowly erode in the company itself as the Uline name becomes one of distrust.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Kingsville, Missouri

87 months ago

I work customer service at uline and have worked there since July. The hiring process is the way it is to get quality canidates and employees with the company. We have had 4 people leave since I have worked in the Minnesota location. All for reasons that had nothing to do with our company. We are a growing company that is why they are constantly hiring.

If you feel the need to post on a message board about why our company is "desparate" or a horrible place to work. You should have more than you could not get a job as a reason.

I cant speak for all locations as to the atomosphere, but our location we all go and hang out and have fun with each other.

In my opinon Uline is one of the best companies I have worked for the managers are great and my co workers are good at their jobs AND are nice people. No office drama!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

ben super in Kennesaw, Georgia

87 months ago

your comment was ok. I am glad you enjoy your job. ULINE does hire many people,but alot leave as well. They are advertising for sales people all of the time. that is a fact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Odessa, Texas

87 months ago

Nancy in Irving in Irving, Texas said: You know...look at your caustic message pounding people's intellegence for grammatical errors and making an equation indicating low intellegence and have you read your "errors" grammatical and otherwise. My point was it being a case of the pot calling the kettle black. Why are you still stuck responding to all this reply business regarding one company? No, sincerely, how come you just don't move on other avenues to investigate if employment is what you are after? It wasn't an attack on you personally.

Oh, I never took your comments personally. I guess you roam the message boards as much or more than I do. hehee
Your lovely messages and replies keep me entertained. I don't believe this message board has had any excitement until you came along.
And thank you for inquiring, but I'm not looking for job. I'm currently employed with a wonderful company. (I'm not saying Uline isn't.)
In regards, the 'tests'. They're your average 'personality' tests and education tests. Major retail stores such as Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. utilize similar tests. The education test simply assesses your knowledge of basic math and reading. I guess sometimes a GED or high school diploma isn't enough, but you never know now a days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Hahaha Irene in Salem, Wisconsin

87 months ago

Irene Doolittle is a false name Uline uses for many pcs of correspondence. Marketing or HR are responding to posts. They monitor EVERYTHING! Glad to be gone out of there. If you are a mediocre employee you can plan on staying a lifetime. If you are skilled, work hard, and make an effort to make a significant impact -- don't bother with this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pamela'betweenjobs in Mundelein, Illinois

87 months ago

I am a mediocre employee. ;)

I'd sent my resume with a cover letter saying that I qualified for four admin jobs but would prefer the sr. admin and promptly received a rejection email - for 4 positions that are posted on every job board I know of almost every day!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sally in Skokie, Illinois

87 months ago

Jennifer, honey, its spelled DESPERATE...nice to know Uline hires skilled professionals!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sally in Skokie, Illinois

87 months ago

okok..i know you used " ". Anyways, here's my interview experience @ Uline. They called me in for an interview when I had never applied w them. Saw my info on the web. Conducted phone interview, and then asked me to come in. Took tests (worthless tests) for hours, got brushed off, was never asked about my (10 years) Accounting experience by some little girls at the front desk who were too busy socializing and sent me home. Never got the opportunity to meet w a manager which I was promised during the phone interview! Very unprofessional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Employee in Northbrook, Illinois

87 months ago

Granted the company's interview process is a bit sketchy as everyone who works here will agree. I came across this cause I was researching website hits and was curious as to what this was. Uline, like any other company, has it's quirks. However getting in is the hardest one of all. They have a set criteria basically that they want to see people fit into for those people have worked well in the past. The second part is it takes a while, its probabally a 3 week process at least and its annoying I agree and the tests may not be worthwhile to you but they are all looked at so they have some merit. All I can say is apply and be yourself, follow up and push if need be.

Dont necessarily feel bad if you are rejected cause one minor slip up that shows charecter flaws or decision making that isnt anything important may cause denial, as I have seen many places not just here.

Overall its a great company to work for and they look out for you, as for getting in the door... well.. as I said, thats the hardest part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

David in Evanston in Washington, District of Columbia

87 months ago

I am a former employee of Uline. I worked there for a little over 3 years before deciding that I was not in a position that aligned itself with my career goals and moved on. I thought I would share my opinions of the benefits and drawbacks of working for Uline. If you want the short answer: the drawbacks surpass the benefits by far.

Benefits:

1. Bonuses - Uline does offer bonuses in a variety of forms. Some are designed to give employees some additional cash around that ever expensive holiday/end of year period. Others are incentives for smaller cash amounts on a weekly basis. If you are an individual who values monetary reward over a cozy work environment, you will enjoy a career here.

2. Growth - Contrary to what so many posters seem to think, the growth rate at Uline is actually a very real figure. The constant posting of job openings do not reflect excessive attrition, though some of it is. The majority of job openings stem from a growth rate over the last 5 years that has averaged around 30%, and internal promotions. Which leads me to....

3. Promotion Potential - If you couple the amazing growth rate with a demonstrated desire to advance, you are bound to move vertizally at Uline, and quickly. After 6 months at my entry level position, I was promoted several levels in a single job, and 6 months later was promoted another level. Again, if you are hungry for advancement and monetary gain, Uline might be a great fit for you.

Drawbacks in the next post.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

David in Washington, District of Columbia

87 months ago

Drawbacks:

1. Culture - Uline is run much like communist China. While the rhetoric, slogans, and mottos all focuses on community and team effort, the majority of decisions and activities center around leader worship of the family owners. President Uihlein = Chairman Mao. The leadership is very top drive, with little room for fresh ideas from the field. Innovative thought and ideas that challenge the established order are crushed like political dissenters in Tiananmen Square. If you work at Uline, you better be ready to march lock step with your beloved Chairman.

2. Restructing - As mentioned in another post, I can confirm that Uline is a fan of "restructuring" a department to get rid of undesirable employees, i.e. innovative thinkers or individuals who every have vocalized their thought that "we can do this better." In my three years I watched my department get restructured over 5 times. Each time, undesirable individuals were not fired but instead relegated to positions that were meant to demean them and eventually inspire them to quit. One example: A manager who at one point oversaw over 50 employees was reassigned after a "restructuring" to sitting at a fax machine and typing in the orders that arrived. She left a month later. Employees at Uline are rarely fired or demoted, the management prefers to shame them into leaving on their own. I suspect it has something to do with a desire to not pay unemployment insurance.

Continued.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

3. Micro-management - If you value working on your own and self management, avoid this company like the Spice Girls greatest hits CD. Some examples of micro-management:

- You are not allowed to have food at your desk. To unsure you are following the rules, random searches of your work space are conducted. I was reprimanded for having a package of gum and a box of tea bags in a drawer. If you thought bringing Krispy Kreme's to work was a good jester of friendship, prepare to be met with endless questions about who gave you approval to bring food product into the pristine work environment. Any company that makes Orbitz contraband black market material is out of control.

- The dress code is fake, and borderline sexist. It states women can wear pant suits, but the unwritten rule is that the company President (a woman) thinks a proper lady should be in a skirt. I often worked with new employees, and was endlessly encouraged by management to emphasize the preference of skirts over pants. To drive home the point, the rule on pant suits was changed so that the top and bottom had to have the same product label to prove it was "matching". If you have any sort of issue with your manager demanding to see the label on the inside of your pants, you may opt out of this company. Oh, and ladies if you enjoy wearing backless shoes, prepare to purchase a whole new foot wardrobe. They are strictly forbidden. Dressing professionally is one thing, but Uline's dress code won't be happy until it drives the women's movement into the ocean.

Guys, if you hate dressing up, I sincerely hope you don't mind answering a phone in a call center for 8 hours in a dress shirt and tie. No one will ever see you, but you'll look better then you did last Valentine's Day.

I could go on and on, but that would be just like a broken pencil: pointless (much like having a good idea is at Uline). I would say it boils down to environment over money. Pick your poison.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Oh, and another poster was correct in saying that the Irene Doolittle post on this forum is actually a Uline HR representative. Irene Doolittle is also the generic name they use when customer's request a catalog of products. They like to search the web for negative references to the company and report back in manager meetings what they found.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

A Job Hunter in Winfield, Illinois

87 months ago

Wow, glad I read these posts. I worked at a company that posted all the time and it was a Hellhole, so I'm always suspicious of those types of places. The comments area is a big help on the Indeed site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mack in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Uline has posted for a sales rep in the Houston area. Anyone worked for Uline in this position or interview for sales? Can't say that I have seen an ad from them before yet I get the impression Uline has high turnover.
Feedback appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anna Wag in Round Lake, Illinois

86 months ago

I have an in person interview here tomorrow, They just said I will have to take a typing test and a spelling is important, both I believe I mastered many years ago so lets hope I do well. I don't mind being a obot if they pay me well, I am sick of not making money and bending over backwards at my current job. Can anyone tell me what the pay is like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dbrooks in Andover, Minnesota

86 months ago

After doing all of the online tests before the interview, I went in and again had to take a couple more tests before I went through a 5 minute interview. A complete waste of time. It's a call center position so why do you take a writing, spelling and typing test..you are primarily answering calls..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CAR in Kenosha, Wisconsin

86 months ago

I want to work at Uline. They pay well, they are close to home, and they have great benefits. However, my interview process was bizarre. Upon applying for a customer service position, I immediately received a phone call for an interview appointment and was sent, via email, a series of tests. I took a sales test, a personality test and a writing test. When I interviewed for the first time, the recruiter told me I was overqualified. She sent in a second recruiter who had an administrative position available. I took a typing test, a spelling test, and a Word test. I also talked with the 2 recruiters for about 2 hours that day. They wanted me to interview with a particular manager, so they set me up for another appointment the following week. I showed up for my interview, however, this particular job was requiring FrontPage skills, which I did not have. Okay, no job. Two weeks later, I receive another phone call from HR. They want me to interview for an executive assistant position. Now I am very excited, however when I look up the position on their website, I see that it requires Access skills. I also see that I applied for this job (must have been done by HR). I do not have Access experience, but I go to the interview and put my best foot forward. No Access, no job. After a total of 10 tests and 3 interviews, I receive the "no thank you" letter. This cost me 3 days of work, many hours of time, a new suit, and a ton of frustration. Looking back, I applied for a job that I was definitely qualified for. They moved me around until I was no longer qualified. I think they missed out a great employee who really wanted to work for this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mack in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

CAR...I can understand your frustration and suspect they did miss out on a good employee. Based on the other post, I decided not to apply for a sales position w/ Uline due to the numerous nonsense hassles mentioned on this board. Good luck in your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.