What's the company culture at Uline?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Uline?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Uline?

Reply - Report abuse

John in Aliso Viejo, California

94 months ago

I can only tell about my experience and observations in Lake Forest CA. Uline here starts at $17 for CS reps, fringe benefits start at day one, $100 cash bonus every week sales goals are hit. Why does a company that compensates that well need to spend so much effort recruiting? And why has that gone on for years?

I would hazard to say that they are well known at Pennysaver, Monster, and other employee recruitment type businesses. There are MANY companies that do not compensate quite well that Never have to advertise or contract employment agencies. They receive enough resumes just by word of mouth.

My opinion IS that all out effort is used on recruiting, almost none on employee retention.

I have never seen Harvard University advertising for students. They turn students away; And you have to Pay huge money to go there.

I suggest talking informally with current workers at the place you are applying. In my experience, shouldn't be hard to find several opinions. Wish I had done that sooner in my life. I was lured from a company (FKM)and coworkers that I loved for their promise of sales training in Chicago and compensation. I do have to thank them for teaching me a lifelong lesson. Beware of my own greed.

Peace be with you and quick success in your pursuits.
JESUS is AWESOME

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

John in Aliso Viejo, California

94 months ago

Agree with Susan. Worked for them in Lake Forest back in 2000. I have seen there ads continuously since, no exaggeration. They even contract temp agencies to hire for them.

Never seen such high turnover or such continuous and desperate recruitment efforts. In one month I was offered them by 4 different temp agencies. I always laughed and refused.

Management put employees under intense scrutiny. They randomly listen in on your calls and critique you if you spent what they feel is too much time. Heard the mantra "managing the caller" many times. Every day we were given a sheet describing our activity times. Even down to how many times I went to the restroom, and how long I took. They really micro-manage. The day I left was one of the more memorable and happy days of my life. I believe they would do better recruiting from former Iron Curtaing countries, or anywhere where people are not used to personal freedoms and privacy we enjoy. The restrooms was just a bit too much. But they had many more pet peeves.

To be fair they might have changed. But, judging from the many and continuous ads for help, I doubt it. If anyone is looking for warehouse, might be better off. I noticed morale in warehouse was much better than the call center.

Caveat Emptor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

J Jefferson in Stone Mountain, Georgia

93 months ago

I work in the warehouse.
They take in over 1300 resumes/interviews a month.
They do not interview everyone that applies.
That being said, it is not easy work.
Yes, they pay fairly higher than other warehouse companies, but the performance bar is set very high.
The work is backbreaking. This coming from a "veteran" warehouse worker. The environment is very pro-worker, pro-team. Management is very personable. I was very shocked @ how generally good natured everyone is.
I agree with one of the posters before.
You MUST dress for success. Don't be coming in applying for a job looking like a hobo. The day I interviewed there was a guy missing one sock. Looked like he just found his nicest clothes balled up in his closet.
Yes, any company would like their employees to spell correctly.
It's a good company to work for, that demands excellance and a high standard of performance.
It's not easy work by any means.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MC2007 in Lake Villa, Illinois

69 months ago

I'm interviewing for a job at the Waukegan headquarters. Can I get some info on the dress code and other office rules?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bigjason in Mississauga, Ontario

68 months ago

MC2007 in Lake Villa, Illinois said: I'm interviewing for a job at the Waukegan headquarters. Can I get some info on the dress code and other office rules?

How about don't bother

I honestly can't see why people can work there and be happy about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MC2007 in Lake Villa, Illinois

68 months ago

So afterall, I got rejected based on 4 bogus tests that had NOTHING TO DO with the job I applied for, and a phone interview during which it seemed like they decided for me whether I wanted to work there or not. I was honestly prepared to give it my best shot since I really need a job and their new headquarters is a short drive from my home. OMG people---it's ONLY CARDBOARD BOXES!!! Lighten up a little bit!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Jackson Heights, New York

66 months ago

I am applying for an Account Executive position in Brooklyn, NY. Please could you tell me how much is the base salary, tell me about what is the benefit waiting period? Do they provide cell and car allowance? How is the company culture? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sneaky sneak in Tonga

64 months ago

Maria in Jackson Heights, New York said: I am applying for an Account Executive position in Brooklyn, NY. Please could you tell me how much is the base salary, tell me about what is the benefit waiting period? Do they provide cell and car allowance? How is the company culture? Thanks

Well this is interesting!

www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/Uline-Shipping-Supplies.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Glenview, Illinois

44 months ago

I have two bachelor's degrees and an MBA. My first bachelor's is from a big ten university. My MBA was from a well-respected private Jesuit University. I have over 15 years of strong accounting and IT experience with public, fortune 50 companies (3 total). I applied to Uline for an IT position. I received and completed the 3 pre-interview tests: Myers-Briggs, selling test (??), and 'writing' test, and was scheduled for an interview at the new corporate office in Pleasant Prarie. This pre-screen process was very unusual, in my opinion (and I'm entitled to have one). It raised a red-flag, but I was still willing to go in for an interview. I started researching the company, and stumbled upon this forum. I read through most of the comments, and realized that the described business practices really startled me. I cancelled my interview the same day.
My perception of Uline is as follows: 1) they are a privately held company, and can run their operations however they deem fit (this bothered me as a job applicant, as I have much experience with accountable, publicly held companies who are interested in protecting the quality and perception of their reputation. I don't this this is the case with Uline), 2) Uline has a management structure that is dysfunctional from the top-down, which is reflected in the comments on this board, 3) Uline is NOT a company I want to work for.
I take issue with the posts from the folks from Uline who have an attitude that is arrogant and superior. It is not a professional attitude, they seem entirely too defensive, and it is (frankly) a little nasty. None of the other fortune 50 companies I've worked for have ANYTHING like this type of forum. I don't need the opportunity that badly. I don't know if I would have 'gotten into Uline' (like I'm applying to an Ivy-league school). Not worth my time to contemplate it. I feel like I dodged a bullet, though. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

44 months ago

anonymous in Glenview, Illinois said: I have two bachelor's degrees and an MBA. My first bachelor's is from a big ten university. My MBA was from a well-respected private Jesuit University. I have over 15 years of strong accounting and IT experience with public, fortune 50 companies (3 total). I applied to Uline for an IT position. I received and completed the 3 pre-interview tests: Myers-Briggs, selling test (??), and 'writing' test, and was scheduled for an interview at the new corporate office in Pleasant Prarie. This pre-screen process was very unusual, in my opinion (and I'm entitled to have one). It raised a red-flag, but I was still willing to go in for an interview. I started researching the company, and stumbled upon this forum. I read through most of the comments, and realized that the described business practices really startled me. I cancelled my interview the same day.

Well, I have no inside experience with them but I also have a 3.5 GPA undergrad and an MBA from a well respected school. I applied for a position I am qualified for on the Friday before Easter, got a rejection e-mail on Easter Sunday....I mean really??? Good riddence, I too feel like I dodged a bullet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee in San Jose, California

24 months ago

My first job out of college was Customer Service for Uline. I have a B.A. in Communications from a state school in the mid-west. I had no "real" CS experience, they took a chance on me. The customers were rude. I came home crying almost every day within the first 3 months. Uline is known in the industry for its exceptional customer service, but it comes at a price to the reps. The owners of the company know this and have taken steps to reward their reps, with opportunites not offered at most call centers. Almost every rep has a college education and the average customer only a high school diploma--yet think they're smarter and more qualified to do the job than the reps are, and WILL tell you how "stupid" you are.

The owner strives for professionalism. Women are required to wear either a full suit, or a knee-length skirt with pantyhose (Oct-May)and a modest top and men are required to wear dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie, even though there is a 99.9% chance customers will NEVER see you!

The phone system answers faster than 911 and calls are not scripted or recorded, as the owners do not want customers to hear "this call may be recorded for quality assurance". Since they hire the best of the best, they already know they have that quality. The office did not have as high of a turnover rate as the warehouse did.

We were expected to take over 100 calls a day, plus process fax and internet orders. If we hit our weekly sales bonus, management walked around the following Monday and handed everyone a crisp, clean $100 bill. The Christmas bonus and profit sharing, handed out 1-2 weeks before Christmas, are unparallelled in the industry. Just to clarify, my first year with Uline saw a Christmas bonus of over $1,000, while my boyfriend at the time, an engineer, only received $200 from his company.

Overall, it was a good company!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Uline sucks in Plymouth, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

Just got back from a interview with Uline in PA and I have to admit I read all these comments and decided I would give the benefit of the doubt. What a joke! Every comment on here is 100% accurate!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

dalonso62 in Bonney Lake, Washington

23 months ago

It sounds like this company must get some type of Government funding for the number of applicants it processes. Something really stinks about the high turnover rate in this company. Guess I will stay away. I have seen there ads for warehouse work in Washington non stop for the past year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Columbia, Maryland

22 months ago

To the former employee in San Jose: You sound VERY young and inexperienced! The last time I was told to 'wear either a full suit, or a knee-length skirt with pantyhose (Oct-May)and a modest top and men are required to wear dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie' was when I was 8 years old in private school! Well, I've grown up since then, and the 'crisp $100 bill bonus' sounds like they hired a bunch of puppies and are throwing them 'sit and bits' every Friday! My memaw will throw me a bill more frequently. How incredibly juvenile you're making out your new-found 'career'! Good luck with your career path and college education! You've got ALOT of growing up to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Lombard, Illinois

21 months ago

anonymous in Columbia, Maryland said: To the former employee in San Jose: You sound VERY young and inexperienced! The last time I was told to 'wear either a full suit, or a knee-length skirt with pantyhose (Oct-May)and a modest top and men are required to wear dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie' was when I was 8 years old in private school! Well, I've grown up since then, and the 'crisp $100 bill bonus' sounds like they hired a bunch of puppies and are throwing them 'sit and bits' every Friday! My memaw will throw me a bill more frequently. How incredibly juvenile you're making out your new-found 'career'! Good luck with your career path and college education ! You've got ALOT of growing up to do.

I understand the point you're making, and I wanted to post. I worked with a girl (young and very, very inexperienced) a short time ago whose credentials were from IT at Uline. Her communication skills were substandard, she took no initiative beyond what her boss told her to do, and she was confused beyond belief by the need for more expertise and experience than she could ever bring to the table. She just didn't have the capacity to think for herself. She eventially quit without another position. I felt sorry for her, but 'immature' and 'unprofessional' were two of the descriptions used by her (former) boss and the entire staff who had to work with her. She actually lied about her role in my company on linked in, probably because she is now backed into a scary corner.
I'll bet that she had no opportunity to develop meaningful skills, which was found to be below worthless in a real professional environment (maybe she was waiting for the $100 dollar tip to actually do what she was hired to do?) Anyway, I get what you're saying, and I wanted you to know...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in Toronto, Ontario

15 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Uline?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Uline?

I applied for a job at Uline just outside of Toronto (Mississauga).
The tests they give you are redundant and the attitude is stiff.

I can see why they have such a turnaround as they are stuck in the dark ages and I basically said..."sorry, this is not for me".

They insist that women wear blouses that are tucked into skirts, no blouses and pants...only pants and jackets that match and the jacket has to be buttoned while in the office. No zippered jackets, no open shoes, so in summer I wouldn't be able to wear sandals, and neutral stockings. Maybe they are Mennonite or Amish. Guess we should criticize countries where burkas are the norm.

One of the commenters here mentioned they should hire from old iron curtain countries...even they gave employees more freedom of expression.

They pay well, bonuses are good, the office was sparce but very presentable, so if money is your motive, by all means try to get a job there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in Toronto, Ontario

15 months ago

Sorry...typo....should have read...

Guess we SHOULDN'T criticize countries where burkas are the norm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.