I would like feed back from current employees

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Me in Chicago, Illinois

81 months ago

Had an interview and think it went well....

I currently work at a terrific company and wont leave unless the right job comes along. As of right now I am undecided about Uline.

Can any current or former employees give me an insiders opinion as to working at this company. Are the owners fair? Do they respect their employees? Is it like working in dungeon or is it a pleasant place. Are there any weird rules (Besides woman having to wear skirts every day...Hello -- Its 2008! Most of America is corporate casual these days!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Chicagoan in Chicago, Illinois

79 months ago

Sorry no info for you, but I myself have an interview at ULINE. I was wondering if they drug test on the first interview and if so what kind of test.

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Oakville, Ontario

74 months ago

Well...I am a current (soon to be ex-employee of Uline). This place is a military boot camp where you have to conform to the Uline way or else. They have a manager for EVERYTHING and nothing gets done right!

Uline makes employees do unheard of tasks! For example, in the winter we shovel snow in the front entrance, steps, ramp, all emergency exits and customer pick-up areas! One employee has a checklist to CLEAN THE WASHROOMS!!!!!!!! Last I checked they have external companies do these tasks.

I gave a up great paying job to get into Uline and I regret it everyday! I am doing the job of 3 people and they won't hire anyone and they wonder why everything doesn't get done. Since I have joined Uline I have averaged 55 hours a week (last week I worked 65 hours!!!!!!!). You don't get thanked for you hard work and management r wonders why morale is low!

My advice...don't work at Uline!!!!!! STAY FAR, FAR AWAY!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

disgruntle in anaheim, California

73 months ago

Working for uline what a joke
if your good a kissing *ss you will get ahead really fast thatis my experience at uline, lake forest it doesn't really matter if you are a hard worker, as long as you are buddies with managment am just waiting for the bonus they promise if I stay until the company moves to ontario then am outta here, don't waste your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bigjason in Brampton, Ontario

70 months ago

I was hired by Uline after the snow melted, and quit a few weeks later. I worked in the Purolator area. I had problems with the supervisor or lead or whatever his title was. He got very angry when I asked questions about certain procedures. Its not an environment where you have any room to think, especially if its about doing things smarter. If some big wig didn't come up with the process, and your way is clearly more efficient, and productive you get "its not the Uline way do it how I told you" I could only handle a few weeks. I'm a grown man having a guy clearly on a trip about his "title" using it every which way he could. Too old for that nonsense.
I can't imagine having to shovel snow at work. Most companies have some sort of contractor do that especially for large areas. I mean if its a small walkway or something that snow moving equipment couldn't get to, I can understand. I guess they don't care about back problems even though they stress ergonomics and safety.
Again can't stress how happy I am to be out of there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lizardman Watchyourfingers in Yellowknife, Yukon

70 months ago

What a strange environment indeed. I moved from Brampton/Milton area shortly after leaving Uline to Yellowknife. I get a kick out of reading all the negative comments from current and ex Uline employees, because I can totally relate. The breed of people they bring in are strange, very strange. I couldn't help but notice every guy had haircuts like it was the 1950's. I'm clean cut myself. Don't think I would have been hired if I wasn't. I have worked in other warehouses where guys had long hair or dreads or crazy facial piercings, and they were some of the nicest, hardest workers I've ever seen. Shame Uline would never allow any of these radical, unruly types be a part of their roster. You think these days people would be past appearance. But I guess when you have places like this with staff that believe this is the right way to be, and that is discriminatory, its going to take alot longer to stop judging people based on looks.
Uline loves to use words like "culture" my understanding of that is level of conditioning. "Moving Forward" That little phrase drove a co-worker absolutely nuts.

It was the most anal environment regarding how things got done. Totally unnecessary steps most of the time. A system of doing things that may have been the top of its class in 1980 something.
You have experience with the latest and greatest RF's and inventory warehouse management systems? Look elsewhere your skills will not be utilized at Uline.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Matt x in prospect heights, Illinois

69 months ago

These people are nuts. I have worked at Uline for a short time now, but the pay is right and they treat you right. Bosses do not yell or treat you like trash.... They coach its a team process and they do things the right way. Give them a call and see how long you have to wait for amazing service. Anyways boo hoo you had to shovel the snow..... you kidding me.... you work in the warehouse its not like you're wearing a suit. You were hired for labor work were you not?

Anyways they are very selective so if you're baby and can't handle it you prob won't get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Wandering in Los Alamitos, California

61 months ago

Lizardman Watchyourfingers in Yellowknife, Yukon said:
Uline loves to use words like "culture" my understanding of that is level of conditioning. "Moving Forward" That little phrase drove a co-worker absolutely nuts.

You forgot "we answer phone calls faster than 911"

Lizardman Watchyourfingers in Yellowknife, Yukon said: It was the most anal environment regarding how things got done. Totally unnecessary steps most of the time. A system of doing things that may have been the top of its class in 1980 something.
You have experience with the latest and greatest RF's and inventory warehouse management systems? Look elsewhere your skills will not be utilized at Uline.

So very true

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wandering in Los Alamitos, California

61 months ago

Me in Chicago, Illinois said: Had an interview and think it went well....

I currently work at a terrific company and wont leave unless the right job comes along. As of right now I am undecided about Uline.

Can any current or former employees give me an insiders opinion as to working at this company. Are the owners fair? Do they respect their employees? Is it like working in dungeon or is it a pleasant place. Are there any weird rules (Besides woman having to wear skirts every day...Hello -- Its 2008! Most of America is corporate casual these days!).

Simple saying that will personifies what Uline is as a workplace
"Uline is your life, Your life is Uline" Any questions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bigjason in Mississauga, Ontario

60 months ago

Matt x in prospect heights, Illinois said: These people are nuts. I have worked at Uline for a short time now, but the pay is right and they treat you right. Bosses do not yell or treat you like trash.... They coach its a team process and they do things the right way. Give them a call and see how long you have to wait for amazing service. Anyways boo hoo you had to shovel the snow..... you kidding me.... you work in the warehouse its not like you're wearing a suit. You were hired for labor work were you not?

Anyways they are very selective so if you're baby and can't handle it you prob won't get a job.

Listen, I have worked a hell of alot harder elsewhere. Working hard wasn't the issue. I can tell you I have done 3 times the workload in a day because the technology used increased efficiency. In 8 hours one average I was picking about 30000lbs of product. About 230 product lines every hour. 2, 6' or 7' tall pallets every single hour, with about 40 other people doing the same. My error rate was less than 2 per 1000. I know there was a better way because I worked it. Uline was seriously going back in time. Shovelling snow is a waste of labour. Like I said contractors can do a large area alot quicker. Walkways I'm fine with being asked to do. But large areas with a shovel is just stupid. If you do the math contractors aren't cheap but guarenteed work done per hour was cheaper because they can accomplish alot more with equipment.
Atleast I know there is a better way instead of just putting up with the Uline way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

naima rivera in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

i think its funny all these comments left about Uline.. ive been workin for Uline in Ontario, CA for ever a year.. alot of the comments made are true but some are just from people who are prude and seem to be holding a grudge from not being hired.. i am a warehouse employee..yes their hiring process is a bit extensive and the test are pointless.. but there given for a reason. the pay is good. they start you off way above minimum wage!
i agree that if u come up with a common sense way of doing things easier your shot down. Uline has the "Uline" way of doing things. they are VERY anal about safety.. ontario has a very strict safety cordinator.. was an ex marine.. lol. oh they are big on numbers! everything is based on numbers.. how many orders u picked how many orders u packed or put away and if u dont meet the daily requirements they drill u big time.. yes bonuses are good at christmas time. benefits are good. they do tend to move you around alot.. u get comfortable with one position and they send you to another dept. that really pisses me off.. Uline does pride itself in saying they never lay off people but this year they were forced to do so due to the economic status. havnt had a problem yet. but sumtimes i do feel i am pressured to much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Zeppelin in Walnutport, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

I am an ex employee of the insane asylum known as Uline. They are a great company to work for as far as pay, benefits, retirement, bonuses etc... If you're going to be working in the warehouse you'll be working odd hours like 1030am to 700 pm. During the holidays expect to work until 830/900 everyday (m-f). If you go into there thinking you're going to bring in a Santas toy sack of ideas and get ANY of them implemented...survey says - NOT. Theres a right way of doing things, a wrong way to do things and the Uline way of doing things...mix of both. Don't you dare question why things are the way they are, that labels you a troublemaker and before you know it you'll be on the outside looking in. The owners: husband/wife team. He's one of the nicest ppl you'll ever meet, she's the anti-christ. Think of her as a 5 year old who must have EVERYTHING her way or it's temper tantrum time. They're the owners and they are more than entitled to want what they want, but she's straight from outer space with many of her demands. Pictures/art MUST be at her eye level, the blinds in the office area are either all the way up or all the way down...there's no middle ground. The warehouse is extremely well lit and in good condition. They are beyond anal about cleanliness. If you can be a drone and not think, go for it. If you have a brain and think for yourself...like most ppl...avoid them like the plague.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan1024 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

57 months ago

The Comments from people such as "Zeppelin" were Spot on. If I may add one more bit of advice, please be very aware that Uline has tremendous resources and spends a ridiculous amount of them to self promote on message boards and anywhere else that might impact the PR of their company. I guarantee that they are aware of boards such as this one and will interact if they think that it can dilute any negativity. As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but you don't have to be too smart to recognize some patterns here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Copperhead in Niles, Illinois

57 months ago

Zeppelin in Walnutport, Pennsylvania said: I am an ex employee of the insane asylum known as Uline. They are a great company to work for as far as pay, benefits, retirement, bonuses etc... If you're going to be working in the warehouse you'll be working odd hours like 1030am to 700 pm. During the holidays expect to work until 830/900 everyday (m-f). If you go into there thinking you're going to bring in a Santas toy sack of ideas and get ANY of them implemented...survey says - NOT. Theres a right way of doing things, a wrong way to do things and the Uline way of doing things...mix of both. Don't you dare question why things are the way they are, that labels you a troublemaker and before you know it you'll be on the outside looking in. The owners: husband/wife team. He's one of the nicest ppl you'll ever meet, she's the anti-christ. Think of her as a 5 year old who must have EVERYTHING her way or it's temper tantrum time. They're the owners and they are more than entitled to want what they want, but she's straight from outer space with many of her demands. Pictures/art MUST be at her eye level, the blinds in the office area are either all the way up or all the way down...there's no middle ground. The warehouse is extremely well lit and in good condition. They are beyond anal about cleanliness. If you can be a drone and not think, go for it. If you have a brain and think for yourself...like most ppl...avoid them like the plague.

zeppelin could not be more right! great description. word on the street is that the company is hiring again, after laying off a bunch of people in january. the owners cleaned house and are now looking for fresh meat. wonder if they will rehire the ones they 'laid off', er..fired. i just might reapply to see what they will tell me. ha ha. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JDoe2000 in Waukegan, Illinois

56 months ago

Depends on what department you are in. Some managers run a good ship where morale is high and staff are supported. Some managers talk the talk to senior managment but don't know how to run a department. I've seen managers play favorites and head games with staff. How do you get to be a favorite? For one don't have any good ideas and don't care about mistakes and don't be very good at what you do. I've seen hard working smart employees get good ideas shot down because their managers just don't like them probably because they know the employee can do their job better. Senior management doesn't know what is going on in the trenches and how some managers are hurtin the company. If I was in charge I would ask staff not managers for feedback. But they have to make sure its 100 percent anonymous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sneaky sneak in Tonga

56 months ago

JDoe2000 in Waukegan, Illinois said: Depends on what department you are in. Some managers run a good ship where morale is high and staff are supported. Some managers talk the talk to senior managment but don't know how to run a department. I've seen managers play favorites and head games with staff. How do you get to be a favorite? For one don't have any good ideas and don't care about mistakes and don't be very good at what you do. I've seen hard working smart employees get good ideas shot down because their managers just don't like them probably because they know the employee can do their job better. Senior management doesn't know what is going on in the trenches and how some managers are hurtin the company. If I was in charge I would ask staff not managers for feedback. But they have to make sure its 100 percent anonymous.

Well this is interesting!

www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/Uline-Shipping-Supplies.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

No lube necessary in Seattle, Washington

13 months ago

Matt x in prospect heights, Illinois said: These people are nuts. I have worked at Uline for a short time now, but the pay is right and they treat you right. Bosses do not yell or treat you like trash.... They coach its a team process and they do things the right way. Give them a call and see how long you have to wait for amazing service. Anyways boo hoo you had to shovel the snow..... you kidding me.... you work in the warehouse its not like you're wearing a suit. You were hired for labor work were you not?

You must enjoy the raping you get from Uline, don't ya.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sally12 in laval, Nova Scotia

12 months ago

No lube necessary in Seattle, Washington said: You must enjoy the raping you get from Uline, don't ya.

Lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Take it like a Uline Bot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

It's about time they get what they deserve from abusing ,mistreating and degrading people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.