Interview Questions For UP

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

dinero74 in Whittier, California

88 months ago

Here are some answers to your questions. I was recently offered a position with UP in El Paso so I know what will be asked. Be ready to answer questions like: Have you ever worked shift work? Weather conditions, Outdoors work, Away from home for long periods of time, Missed important occasions for work? Why should I give you this job? You will also need to pass a 4 hour skilled battery exam. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

j in Whittier, California

86 months ago

5 PART TEST. BRUSH UP ON YOUR MATH SKILLS. THERE IS A SECTION THAT DEALS STRICTLY WITH MATH, DIAGRAMS THAT HAVE MISSING MEASUREMENTS. ANALYTICAL SECTION DEALING WITH COMMON SENSE QUESTIONS SUCH AS WHICH BALL WILL ROLL DOWN THE HILL FASTER, IF YOU MAKE A LEFT OR RIGHT IN A CAR WHICH WAY WILL YOU LEAN. ONE SECTION DEALING WITH WATCHING A VIDEO AND ANALYZING THE SITUATIONS. GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

S Moore in Chicago, Illinois

79 months ago

1. Are you able to work outside
The job does not require you to have outside work experience so why do they ask this questions>>>>>
If a person has a office job then hell they aint never been outside

2. Are you able to relocate? Work Far away from home?
Well far because according to them where you apply aint where you will work
3. Define Safety? Who is responible for your safety? What?????????
4. Do you have any convictions, run-in with the law? DUI's

Don't expect to be working where they say they are hiring?

And they really want to know if you know people who work there...

This brother is keeping his job... My wife said hell no

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

S Moore in Iowa

79 months ago

I interviewed for train services position in West Chicago,

The Hiring Session is held at 7:30 a.m

Interviews begin at 10:45 depending on how many are present

You are paid $10.00 hour for 3-4 weeks while training, then paid 75% of your salary after that...

They will not tell you how much your pay will be or where you actually will be working,

I know people who work for UP and they make pretty good money and I know some that make hardly any money...

At the interview I wore business suite, very professional because I am business professional looking to switch careers, I am also female, black with dreadlocks but feminine...the interviewer not so much (feminine)

Anyway I kept being asked if I had ever worked outside... Although working outside is not a pre-qualifier to do train services...

Other people arrived at the interview with jeans, safety glasses...Etc

I was too business

Interview questions: 15-20minutes
1. Who is responsible for your safety?
2. Why do want to work for UPRR?
3. If you had to work weeks far away from home what would you do and how would you provide for your shelter?
4. Are you able to relocate?
5. Have you ever held a job where you had to work outside?
6. Who do you know at UPRR?
I didn't know anyone so she asked how did I know about UPRR, I wanted to say I got a damn business degree, internet and I can read…
7. How many hours do you currently work?
8. Have you ever had any run-in with the law..DUI, Speeding Tickets
The two people that interviewed me...are idiots...
9. Tell me about a time you have had a problem with your co-worker and how did you handle it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

tom robie in chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

S Moore in Iowa said: I interviewed for train services position in West Chicago,

The Hiring Session is held at 7:30 a.m

Interviews begin at 10:45 depending on how many are present

You are paid $10.00 hour for 3-4 weeks while training, then paid 75% of your salary after that...

They will not tell you how much your pay will be or where you actually will be working,

I know people who work for UP and they make pretty good money and I know some that make hardly any money...

At the interview I wore business suite, very professional because I am business professional looking to switch careers, I am also female, black with dreadlocks but feminine...the interviewer not so much (feminine)

Anyway I kept being asked if I had ever worked outside... Although working outside is not a pre-qualifier to do train services...

Other people arrived at the interview with jeans, safety glasses...Etc

I was too business

Interview questions: 15-20minutes
1. Who is responsible for your safety?
2. Why do want to work for UPRR?
3. If you had to work weeks far away from home what would you do and how would you provide for your shelter?
4. Are you able to relocate?
5. Have you ever held a job where you had to work outside?
6. Who do you know at UPRR?
I didn't know anyone so she asked how did I know about UPRR, I wanted to say I got a damn business degree, internet and I can read…
7. How many hours do you currently work?
8. Have you ever had any run-in with the law..DUI, Speeding Tickets
The two people that interviewed me...are idiots...
9. Tell me about a time you have had a problem with your co-worker and how did you handle it?

When I got hired on, the interview went just as you said. This post is about as accurate as it gets. However, this is my third year and I made just over 81k last year..not too bad considering I am only in my early twenties...I had to build a solid work history though. Alot guys washed out early...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rudebuoy in Chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

How long is your Dreadlocks?
Where did u apply at?
How long before you appiled you got an interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Brad in Chico, California

73 months ago

dinero74 in Whittier, California said: Here are some answers to your questions. I was recently offered a position with UP in El Paso so I know what will be asked. Be ready to answer questions like: Have you ever worked shift work? Weather conditions, Outdoors work, Away from home for long periods of time, Missed important occasions for work? Why should I give you this job? You will also need to pass a 4 hour skilled battery exam. Good luck.

What does the 4 hour skilled battery exam consis of? If you could help? Math?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gene in Fort Worth, Texas

72 months ago

S Moore in Chicago, Illinois said: 1. Are you able to work outside
The job does not require you to have outside work experience so why do they ask this questions>>>>>
If a person has a office job then hell they aint never been outside

2. Are you able to relocate? Work Far away from home?
Well far because according to them where you apply aint where you will work
3. Define Safety? Who is responible for your safety? What?????????
4. Do you have any convictions, run-in with the law? DUI's

Don't expect to be working where they say they are hiring?

And they really want to know if you know people who work there...

This brother is keeping his job... My wife said hell no

hell i have been ofered to take the 4 hr battery test . In a few days what can you tell me about the test all 5 parts. to past this test the first time. Thank you Gene

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

pratish in Irving, Texas

71 months ago

Hello Sir OR Mam
I am interested to this job if you have opening pleas letme know
thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rgant_19 in Blue Island, Illinois

45 months ago

I have to take the exam on the 3rd of Nov. and was wondering do ALL exams (throughout US) is the same or are they different? The position I filled out for was Signal Person in Chicago. I have a strong feeling that I will be relocated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ramener in Munster, Indiana

44 months ago

HI THERE ALL-

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH WEIGHT ONE IS REQUIRED TO LIFT FOR TRAIN CREW STRENGTH TEST? I AM A FEMALE. CAN I HANDLE IT???

THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Clean cut guy in South Elgin, Illinois

36 months ago

went to a hiring session for the second time at UP for electrician job ,went well but when i gothone i got the thank you e-mail and so on , i know that you can't apply for this possition for another 6 months but,what are the chances that UP will call me within the sixmonths ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ancientalien in Ames, Iowa

27 months ago

I am going to the Union Pacific Railroad hiring session in Clinton, Iowa. Does anyone have any suggestions for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

swhmetta in austin, Texas

19 months ago

If I had a dui 14 years ago, would that keep me from being hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

jesuschrysler in Auburn, California

17 months ago

The hiring managers for Union Pacific are complete idiots. I went through the hiring process online, got invited to take the reading test (cost me $20 out of pocket) and was invited to the "cattle call" interview in Roseville, Ca. What a joke. That was the most unprofessional company I had ever interviewed with. I was without a doubt the most qualified person in the room (already hold my engineers and conductors certs) and they couldn't care less about my experience, perfect safety record, etc. Unless you are a brother, cousin, son of a current employee, don't even bother interviewing with these clowns. Nepotism is how these guys roll, equal opportunity my a**.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in El Paso, Texas

12 months ago

Not sure of this hiring process at all. My only thoughts are that I was deemed "overqualified" (a law enforcement high ranking officer and with a college degree - just ready to retire out of the job and get a 2nd career going). I answered all questions properly in the hiring session. Teamwork, working outdoors, on call, varying shifts - been there done that for over 20 years. Plus being single, working any hours is no burden at all. Prior military on heavy equipment too. Got an application status of "thank you" 2 days later. Made no sense either as the HR manager said those not initially selected could be "maybes" on stand by in case others failed a portion of the hiring process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lonnie in Riverside, California

28 days ago

Ramener in Munster, Indiana said: HI THERE ALL-

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH WEIGHT ONE IS REQUIRED TO LIFT FOR TRAIN CREW STRENGTH TEST? I AM A FEMALE. CAN I HANDLE IT???

THANKS

90 lbs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.