How to get a job at Union Pacific.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Host

Do you work at Union Pacific? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

tim teel in Garfield, Arkansas

90 months ago

Im just looking my brother work for union Pacific]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Marco Requenez in Sinton, Texas

90 months ago

im looking for a job with union pacific..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Ricardo Guerra in Los Angeles, California

88 months ago

maxamillion2u said: Please can someone help me?

Apply at the UPRR web site, you'll be given a status number to keep track of it. about 2 months later I got an interview. i been working there for 6 years now and they are in a hiring mode. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

maxamillion2u in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Thank you Ricardo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Ricardo Guerra in Los Angeles, California

88 months ago

Working at UPRR as a mechanic is pretty much a parts changer. You'll be trained to become a locomotive mover and move locomotives when needed. Training sucks and you'll learn by the more experienced mechanics. There are two shops within the mechanical dept. Service track and dead work. Sv trk is a type of line maintenance for outbounding train consist and dead work is your heavy repair like changing power assemblies, turbos, water pumps, radiatiors, bla, bla, bla. Benefits are like this...$21.50 hr. medical, dental, vision which is pretty cool(we pay 120.00 month for that even if you have 20 kids), (union dues 50.00), membership to 24 hr fitness no fee), we do not pay into social security we pay into the railroad retirement its about 200.00 a month between tier 1 and tier 2 tax, every year you get 50% off your safety shoes, dont worry about tools the company gives you a snap-on tool box, its an 8 hr shift but you probably work about 4 hrs of it the rest of the time is waiting, your days off always change so you'll have to wait about 10-20 years to get weekends off, I have 6 years off and have wed-thurs off, good opportunity to become a supervisor but being a supervisor is more like a fall guy when things go wrong, its an ok place to work once you catch on to how the railroad works, gimme a message if you wanna know more about the railroad I outta know I work there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

MIKE in Riverside, Illinois

88 months ago

THE PPL THAT GET LAID OFF ARE THE ONES THAT COMPLAIN ABOUT WORKING WEEKEND-STAND AROUND-AND TAKE TO MANY DAYS OFF.THE LESS YOU COMPLAIN AND THE HARER YOU WORK THE MORE THEY RESPECT YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Payne, Ohio

87 months ago

It's not people who don't want to work. At least not where I'm located.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mitchell Williams in Antioch, California

86 months ago

I have the experience and desire to perform this position to perfection and career advancements as a Track Laborer.My experience includes construction laborer and refinery laborer as well.I'm not looking for a job.I,m looking for a career.I'm willing to work any hours and travel as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

3rd DIST Conductor in Hershey, Nebraska

86 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Union Pacific? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Don't bother, its a s*** job, with s***ty hours. Do you really want to have to go to work on an hour and a half notice? Do you really want to bust your ass and do 100% of the work for only 80% of the pay? If your married and want to stay that way go work somewhere else. I've been with them 2 years, and I'm no better off than when I started. Take my advice go back to school and get a good job. Thats what I'm doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CUT BACK CONDUCTOR in Ontario, California

85 months ago

s*** HAS GOTTEN SO BAD IN THE WESTER REGION THE COMPANY HAS CUT BACK QUALIFIED ENGINEERS TO CONDUCTORS WICH THEN CUTS THE CONDUCTORS WITH LOWER SENIORITY BACK TO SWITCHMEN IN THE YARD WICH THEN CUTS THOSE SWITCHMEN TO BEING LAYED OFF. JUST LIKE THE 3RD DIST CONDUCTOR SAID WHEN YOU FIRST START YOU WILL GET PAID 80% BUT AFTER TRAINING YOU WILL MOVE UP TO 90%. BETTER BUT STILL NOT 100%. PERSONALLY I DONT FEEL ITS RIGHT THAT THE COMPANY MAKES US WORK 100% OF THE JOB AND ONLY GET PAID 90% OF IT. OH YEAH AND I ALMOST FORGOT TO MENTION ABOUT WORKING 12 HOURS. SOMETIMES YOU GET STUCK OUT THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE FOR MORE THAN 12.
WITH ALL THIS BAD STUFF I HAVE JUST MENTIONED THERE ARE ALSO GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE JOB. MOST OF THE TIME WORKED IS WAITING OR RIDING THE TRAIN FROM POINT A TO POINT B. WE DONT DO THAT MUCH WORK AND WE GET PAID WELL. THERE ARE MORE BENIFITS TO WORKING FOR UNION PACIFIC AS A CONDUCTOR BUT I MUST GO TO WORK NOW.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Eddie Phillips in Missouri City, Texas

84 months ago

I'm looking for a job @Union Pacific

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

james ross in Des Moines, Iowa

82 months ago

Mitchell Williams in Antioch, California said: I have the experience and desire to perform this position to perfection and career advancements as a Track Laborer.My experience includes construction laborer and refinery laborer as well.I'm not looking for a job.I,m looking for a career.I'm willing to work any hours and travel as well.

you have great work ethics. I view any job with the same principals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jose111222 Rafael in redwood city, California

80 months ago

Hello, I am trying to reach Human Resourses or Bosses of Union Pacific Rail Roads, to report on their contractor Caliber Auto Transfer (CAT)! I work long time for CAT, at Mira Loma in California. They “hire” some third party company, named “Euro Services LLC”, but they change those companies every ½ year or so, now we getting paychecks from company “24 rail LLC”. We work up to 7 days a week, 12 hours a day with 1 hour lunch and NO OVERTIME, some people gets 80 hours/week, NO ANY BREAK, NO BENEFITS at all. They made us sign contract where says that we are self employee, but no one has any license to work as a self employee. If there is no job for few hours, they put us on “stand by” and don’t let anybody go home, otherwise they “let you go”, we never got paid for “stand by”. I don’t understand how “billion dollars” company as UPRR let it happened. How you let those third party companies like “24 rail llc” have office on the territory of UPRR. So far my lawyer did not find any legal thing, during I work here! We apply to “department of labor” of San Bernardino to help us with it! Seems to me that UPRR saving good money on employees like us too!
I attached 4 pages of contract they give to sign to us!
THIS LATTER WAS SENT TO LET YOU KNOW, WHAT IS GOING ON!
Thanks!
Mira Loma, California!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

D-sharp DS in Shreveport, Louisiana

67 months ago

Mitchell Williams in Antioch, California said: I have the experience and desire to perform this position to perfection and career advancements as a Track Laborer.My experience includes construction laborer and refinery laborer as well.I'm not looking for a job.I,m looking for a career.I'm willing to work any hours and travel as well.

Right now isn't a good time to take a job at the union pacific. I'm been employed there 4 years now and i am a driver. Once you start you will be safe from the bumping. once you get to the end of your sixty probation you must bid on a job...the area you are working might not have a job on the bidline. Plus there are a ton of guys who work and are on the road so they come bump at home near the end of the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dds in Ontario, California

42 months ago

how long does the training last.first day 014/31/2011

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RAILROADER 25 in Humble, Texas

28 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Union Pacific? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

1. The first step is to check thier website and see if they are hiring
2. The second step is to apply and make sure you meet all the conditions they are looking for
3. The third thing is if you are applying for trainservice and you meet the conditions you will be contacted to taking a reading test. The Test is based on an Highschool to 2 year college reading assesment.
4. when applying make sure there are zero issues with your applications, no dui's no dwi's no felonies for i think its the last 7 or ten years same with misdeamnors no open court cases.. no outstanding traffic fines and warrants.
5. you will then be called for a hiring session in which you will be called to interview and meet with the hiring managers.
6. it really helps if you know someone that works for the railroad like an immediate family member or someone with some form of seniority.
7. if the job is in trainservice make sure that you and your wife and family truly understand the working conditions 24/7 every day and you will be gone from home several days at a time.
8. do not apply for a job in another city with the idea just to get in becuase that will be your home location and you have no seniority to hold the road yet alone a job near your home.

DO NOT BE LATE NOT FOR AN INTERVIEW NOT FOR THE JOB NOT EVERY IN YOUR LIFE DO NOT BE LATE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

redneck 18 in Humble, Texas

25 months ago

I would strongly consider if you really want to do this. A very racist company, poor managers, hire you then fire you and work hard to do so. What people do not understand is you can get hired then you go on a roller coaster and take 15 different module test over 4 month you must score an 85 or higher and if not you can retake it once then you must score an 90 or better. They hire all races but african americans get fired the fastest and the first. They have a word called turning, they will hire you but then fire you. I have a few really good african american friends whose children were hired then fired. The one person you want to watch out for is Scotty Hale. At one time i was a member of the Ku klux klan, he had inquired about membership and several men in the Houston Service Unit are members of the ku klux klan. Scotty hale prides himself on finding young white talent, However if you are black you are set up to fail, and to be lied on by scotty hale who will in turn go behind your back and lie on you for several reason to get you fired. The Managers he reports to have no balls and they do not know what they are doing... The pay is great benefits are great but you will never see your family, your morals will change, and you will become one racist person. Lastly they have been sued numerous times for racism. I am an white man and I know what they are doing is wrong and I personally have agreed to enter into an lawsuit against union pacific and the way they hire new hires "BLACKS, HISPANICS, AND WOMEN" then fire them. if you are considering working for the railroad do no apply. Several employees have signed pettitions for the UNITED STATES GOVERMENT to get involved becuase of there practices. its not worth it and its not worth working with a bunch of men who get high and drunk on trains.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

redneck 18 in Humble, Texas

25 months ago

i

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

vincent in San Bernardino, California

5 months ago

Ricardo Guerra in Los Angeles, California said: Working at UPRR as a mechanic is pretty much a parts changer. You'll be trained to become a locomotive mover and move locomotives when needed. Training sucks and you'll learn by the more experienced mechanics. There are two shops within the mechanical dept. Service track and dead work. Sv trk is a type of line maintenance for outbounding train consist and dead work is your heavy repair like changing power assemblies, turbos, water pumps, radiatiors, bla, bla, bla. Benefits are like this...$21.50 hr . medical, dental , vision which is pretty cool(we pay 120.00 month for that even if you have 20 kids), (union dues 50.00), membership to 24 hr fitness no fee), we do not pay into social security we pay into the railroad retirement its about 200.00 a month between tier 1 and tier 2 tax, every year you get 50% off your safety shoes, dont worry about tools the company gives you a snap-on tool box, its an 8 hr shift but you probably work about 4 hrs of it the rest of the time is waiting, your days off always change so you'll have to wait about 10-20 years to get weekends off, I have 6 years off and have wed-thurs off, good opportunity to become a supervisor but being a supervisor is more like a fall guy when things go wrong, its an ok place to work once you catch on to how the railroad works, gimme a message if you wanna know more about the railroad I outta know I work there

I also have to take a test for this position what kind of advice can you give me its for the LA an west colton yartd

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

vincent in San Bernardino, California

5 months ago

I also have to take a test for this position what kind of advice can you give me its for the LA an west colton yartd

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Enoch Buahin in Accra, Ghana

2 months ago

By internet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.