How to get a job at United States Postal Service.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

Do you work at United States Postal Service? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

county in San Bernardino, California

58 months ago

Host said: Do you work at United States Postal Service? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

How do I know when there's an opening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

54 months ago

The Postal Service is not hiring for very many positions right now, they are downsizing. Most jobs are for Rural Carrier Associates - working 1 day a week, using your own car and with no benefits. Usually, there is a posting at the post office if they are hiring, and you must take a test. They do have temporary jobs that don't require a test, but they are just that - temporary - with no benefits. Ask at your local post office for more info. You'll need a good driving record and a decent vehicle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Trevor Loya in Adrian, Michigan

16 months ago

How can I find out about tests available?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jaslee1 in San Jose, California

16 months ago

how can I find out security guard service

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nothingness in Downingtown, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

Everything is done through their website. There are a few Assistant City Carrier districts still hiring. They are usually posted with varying numbers in the post, such as Philadelphia Assistant City Carrier 509, 612, 907, etc etc. If you see something like that around where you are that means there is a good chance you can at least take the test.

The assistant positions currently are not career positions, if hired you will basically have a year to prove you are worth keeping on. If not you will be let go.

The site guides you through the entire process. You will get emails telling you about the next steps. There is a lot of paperwork involved, and numerous deadlines that must be met to advance to the next part. You will take the test, results will be emailed to you by the time you get home. If you pass 70+ [but realistically you want to be in the 80's at least unless you are a veteran).

Mandatory Drug tests, as well as background and driving record checks will be next. All on a strict deadline, the drug test was free for me. Not sure about other areas.

A note, you cannot drive for the USPS within two years after having your license reinstated from a suspension. Meaning if your license was suspended, and you got it back on August 20th 2011, the earliest you can drive for the post office is August 20th 2013.

Unfortunately they neglected to mention this to me until after I took the interview and the postmaster I spoke to basically told me I would be hired as I meet all requirements. It wasn't until almost 3 weeks went by and I got no notification that I emailed the woman who was in contact with me and she told me I couldn't drive for them until November of this year. (for a parking ticket in front of my house nonetheless!] This is after I went through their entire system, filled out stacks of tax forms and aced the interview. I was told I would be getting an email from them, which never came. This was all in April.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A new applicant in Federal Way, Washington

7 months ago

Trevor Loya in Adrian, Michigan said: How can I find out about tests available?

Did you find out about the available tests? I was able to register but I couldn't get an application to fill out because it was just none available. But if you don't fill out an application, you can't take a test. Like they're trying to make it impossible to even just start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

AirHobo in Portland, Oregon

2 months ago

A new applicant in Federal Way, Washington said: Did you find out about the available tests? I was able to register but I couldn't get an application to fill out because it was just none available. But if you don't fill out an application, you can't take a test. Like they're trying to make it impossible to even just start.

You might try a different browser. I had the same trouble on Chrome, but IE works. I filled out the app and applied for a variety of open positions. I'm currently in process and "pre-screening" on one of them. Not sure what that means and how soon they may contact me. I filled out the app last week and took the test, which I thought I did well on the first two parts but totally messed up the memory section, so I ended up with a 79.30...passing, but not where I would have expected myself to be. Can't retest until December for a new score.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dilipkumar in Doha, Qatar

2 months ago

Host said: Do you work at United States Postal Service? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

how to i get job

dilipkumar in Doha, Qatar

2 months ago

how to i get job

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.