30 year upser

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

30 year upser in Chesterfield, Missouri

80 months ago

Just wanted to tell you I have been out of the loop for a while. I am back so if there are any questions concerning hiring, working, salaries etc regarding UPS, let me know.
I've been around for a while--32 years and counting. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Rocky Mount, North Carolina

75 months ago

I have a quick question about the 30 day seniority for new hires. I was hired March 2010 for a preload position. HR told the supers "30 days in the first 90". My question is this: Is the 90 days calendar days or actual Monday-Friday working days? Nobody at my center can agree on an answer and I can't get a copy of the contract in my hands. It took me two peak season years to finally land the position and although I'm not getting rich working preload, I still want my benifit timeline to fall into place like it should. Thanks for the help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

75 months ago

Jay in Rocky Mount, North Carolina said: I have a quick question about the 30 day seniority for new hires. I was hired March 2010 for a preload position. HR told the supers "30 days in the first 90". My question is this: Is the 90 days calendar days or actual Monday-Friday working days? Nobody at my center can agree on an answer and I can't get a copy of the contract in my hands. It took me two peak season years to finally land the position and although I'm not getting rich working preload, I still want my benifit timeline to fall into place like it should. Thanks for the help.

It is 30 working days or approximately 6 weeks. Hope that clarifies it. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

paco in La Vista, Nebraska

75 months ago

30 year upser in Chesterfield, Missouri said: Just wanted to tell you I have been out of the loop for a while. I am back so if there are any questions concerning hiring, working, salaries etc regarding UPS, let me know.
I've been around for a while--32 years and counting. LOL

Hi, I have just applied at UPS and took the tour. I have a question though that he was explaining but I had a hard time hearing what was said. My question is, When package handling, How do you know which package goes on what conveyor belt and why do they put some on the top conveyor belt. I would ask my interviewer but i just want to be prepared for the job fully. Thanks, please respond asap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser in Chesterfield, Missouri

75 months ago

What you are referring to is sorting packages. You have to take a test to do so.
There are docks throughout the building. Depending on the state city or zip code will depend on what conveyor belt you put it on. That is how the logistics work. If you put a package on a top belt, that package will make its way to a dock where usually somebody will be there waiting for it. He is called a pick-off. He stands there with a number of trucks behind him. Again, depending on the zip code or city, he will take that package and put it on a slide or belt that is behind him where a loader is waiting for it to load in his truck.
Chances are, since you a re new hire, you will be loading or unloading. Sorter jobs are bid jobs which means you sign a bid list and if you have the highest seniority on that list, you will get the job.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

paco in La Vista, Nebraska

75 months ago

30 year upser in Chesterfield, Missouri said: What you are referring to is sorting packages. You have to take a test to do so.
There are docks throughout the building. Depending on the state city or zip code will depend on what conveyor belt you put it on. That is how the logistics work. If you put a package on a top belt, that package will make its way to a dock where usually somebody will be there waiting for it. He is called a pick-off. He stands there with a number of trucks behind him. Again, depending on the zip code or city, he will take that package and put it on a slide or belt that is behind him where a loader is waiting for it to load in his truck.
Chances are, since you a re new hire, you will be loading or unloading. Sorter jobs are bid jobs which means you sign a bid list and if you have the highest seniority on that list, you will get the job.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

Thank you so much. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

buttercup_46 in Arlington, Texas

70 months ago

30 year upser in Chesterfield, Missouri said: Just wanted to tell you I have been out of the loop for a while. I am back so if there are any questions concerning hiring, working, salaries etc regarding UPS, let me know.
I've been around for a while--32 years and counting. LOL

I need advice I was hired as a package handler at ups, Went for my first training coarse this morning I was overwhelmed at the the hazmat stuff and Labels you have to learn is it easier to learn than it looks ? So many different kinds of labels,I was so excited that I got hired but after this morning Iam just scared now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

70 months ago

buttercup_46 in Arlington, Texas said: I need advice I was hired as a package handler at ups, Went for my first training coarse this morning I was overwhelmed at the the hazmat stuff and Labels you have to learn is it easier to learn than it looks ? So many different kinds of labels,I was so excited that I got hired but after this morning Iam just scared now.

Don't sweat it buttercup. Relax and just do your job. Every truck has the chart of the hazmat lables. If you come across a package that has a diamond lable, look at the chart and if you're still not sure, ask your supervisor.
Good Luck. You'll do fine.
Omce you start working for the next couple of months, you'll get more familiar with all the diamond lables.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

buttercup_46 in Arlington, Texas

70 months ago

30 year upser in Missouri said: Don't sweat it buttercup. Relax and just do your job. Every truck has the chart of the hazmat lables. If you come across a package that has a diamond lable, look at the chart and if you're still not sure, ask your supervisor.
Good Luck. You'll do fine.
Omce you start working for the next couple of months, you'll get more familiar with all the diamond lables.

Thank you so much!!! I feel better now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

8989 in Patchogue, New York

66 months ago

30 year.....whats your take on becoming a part time supervisor. I was asked at my hub but I'am not sure. I have been working there for 6 months, made book, and my career goal is to drive and become a package delivery driver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

66 months ago

8989 in Patchogue, New York said: 30 year.....whats your take on becoming a part time supervisor. I was asked at my hub but I'am not sure. I have been working there for 6 months, made book, and my career goal is to drive and become a package delivery driver.

Being a supervisor is good in that it will look good on your resume, should you decide to leave UPS one day.
You will have to submit a letter of interest to your full time superivisor. He will give that to HR. You will then be given a packet of papers to fill out, along with going through a battery of tests and a number of interviews.

If you're goal is to drive one day, then being a supervisor might curtail that. In other words if you become a supervisor, there is no going back to what you were doing as an hourly. As a supervisor you will be assigned to a dock whether it be load or unload. There is a lot of pressure to produce, ie making your people work for you. If you are a people person and get along with everybody on your dock, you should do fine.
The best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

This question is to 30 upser

I have an interview next week for a seasonal package delivery driver. Can you tell me details of the hiring process, or questions they might ask for a driving position? My background is in retail. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

63 months ago

Questions they will ask is
1)Do you have transportation to work?
2)Can you lift heavy packages...sometimes over 70?
3)Can you drive a stick shift
4)Are you good at directions...finding your way around neighborhood...remembering streets etc.
5)Are you good with computer gizmos? You will be using a hand held computer device to enter your deliveries.

That's about it, though I'm sure there will be other questions.
Good luck. You will be trained how to use the computer device, so dont worry about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Thank you so much for your response. Do you know if they do the background check before or after the interview process? Will there be mutiple interviews.How long is the process usually?

Thank you so much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

63 months ago

I'm not sure of background checks, but they may request a police background check to make sure you haven't been convicted of anything. Oh, and you will probably have to submit to a drug test. One more thing, you will be given a road test with a brown package car. This is where you will drive the truck with a supervisor, mainly to make sure you can handle such a rig.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Thank you so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Columbus, Ohio

62 months ago

Hello,
First time poster here. My family and I recently moved to the Columbus, OH area. I'm currently unhappy at a job I just started and my wife will be starting as a nurse here in Columbus. I've been looking into becoming a part-time package handler with the goal of becoming a driver. I just had a few questions about the job.
-How good are the benefits as a package handler and how does it work to include my family on my benefit plan?
-What is the career progression from starting as a package handler as well as a timeline to those promotions?
-Kind of jumping ahead, I havent driven a manual tranny much let alone on a UPS truck. What is best way to get proficient doing this?

Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

62 months ago

Okay, regarding benefits, You have to work at UPS for a year to get benefits for yourself, and another 6 months to get benefits for your family. Once you do get benefits, they are pretty good. You will get a package letting you know what is available to you.
If you want to be a package car driver, depending on your building, it can take anywhere from 4 to 8 years to be a driver. By that time, if you are still interested, most of the UPS truck should be automatic transmission. However, just to make sure, I would get someone to show you how to drive a stick in case you get stuck with a truck that has a manual transmission.
Once you get proficient on manual tranny, I would rent one of those U-Haul trucks. Some are manual tranny. If nothing else even if you drive an automatic it will let you get the feel of driving a truck.
As far as pormotion, if you want to be a supervisor you can work as little as 6 months to be a supe. Supes are part time, unless you have a degree. If you have a degree you might be able to be a full time supe, quicker.
Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Columbus, Ohio

62 months ago

Thank you for the response.
I do have a degree in Aeronautical Science, worked as a commercial pilot for 5 years. You don't have any contacts that are pilots for UPS do you? I would love to get in there :-)
Anyway...Any idea what the pay is for a supervisor? Full and part-time?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

62 months ago

No I dont know anyone who is a UPS pilot, but with your credentials, I would definitely look into it. Start with 1-800-pickups. Hopefully they will lead you in the right direction.
UPS pilots make iabout 125,000 a year I believe.
Part time Supes make about 30 grand, Full time about 70 grand.
Once you get an interview at UPS tell them your goals of possibly going into mgmt/being a package car driver.
What does concern me, Ken is that if you tell them you were an aernautical engineer, they might not hire being you are over qualified.
They might be afraid you would quit as soon as you found something better.
So I would really stress that you are branching out in your career and wish to work at UPS, outlining your goals with the company.
Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Columbus, Ohio

62 months ago

Thanks, for the info. I've looked into becoming a pilot. It's tough to get in. I didn't realize supervisors made that much.
I'm not a engineer although the school I went to was a big engineering school. My degree mainly involved flight training. Which I love to do by the way but now that I have a family I want to be home more.
Is being a driver or a full-time supervisor considered the better job?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

62 months ago

Yes both FT Supes and drivers are the better job mainly because of the money involved. However, both jobs are harder to obtain until you put in the years at UPS. If you have a degree, you might be able to move up to mgmt much quicker, such as Industrial Engineering, Loss Prevention etc.
Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Sandusky, Ohio

62 months ago

30 year upser,
I have a few more questions.
I applied for a couple Package Handler positions in my area. Now it asked me some questions then it asked me to choose a shift time but it brings me to this. This is what is says after I applied:
Job Inquiry

Our system has retained the information you previously supplied. Your information, along with the information supplied by other job applicants, will be considered when UPS jobs become available. Thank you for continuing to consider UPS as an employer.

It says jobs are available though on the UPS website.

Also there are two locations that are hiring P/H's in my area, is it possible to get hired at two different locations part-time?

Thanks,
Ken

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

62 months ago

Ken in Sandusky, Ohio said: 30 year upser,
I have a few more questions.
I applied for a couple Package Handler positions in my area. Now it asked me some questions then it asked me to choose a shift time but it brings me to this. This is what is says after I applied:
Job Inquiry

Our system has retained the information you previously supplied. Your information, along with the information supplied by other job applicants, will be considered when UPS jobs become available. Thank you for continuing to consider UPS as an employer.

It says jobs are available though on the UPS website.

Also there are two locations that are hiring P/H's in my area, is it possible to get hired at two different locations part-time?

Thanks,
Ken

You can't work at both buildings if that is what you are referring to. You can however apply at both buildings and hopefully one of them will call you.
If those two buildings are hiring, then yes apply at both.
The statement of them calling you or keeping your application, is just a blanket statement to all applicants, so just apply or request to work at the buildings that are hiring.
Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Columbus, Ohio

62 months ago

Yeah, that's what I meant.
There is actually three locations in my area. I've applied to one and it is listed on my account that I have applied, however, when I try to apply for the other two it doesn't let me or is doesn't list them on my account.
Also does it help to go in person to the locations and talk to someone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

62 months ago

Ken in Columbus, Ohio said: Yeah, that's what I meant.
There is actually three locations in my area. I've applied to one and it is listed on my account that I have applied, however, when I try to apply for the other two it doesn't let me or is doesn't list them on my account.
Also does it help to go in person to the locations and talk to someone?

I'm kind of surprised that they wont let you apply at more than one building.
As far as seeing someone in person, most UPS buildings, you can't just walk in. They are usually guarded by security. If it is possible to go to an HR building without going through security, yeah, I would go there. Tell them you are interested in working for UPS and have applied on line. There is a possiblity that they could call other centers to work at if you tell them you would be willing to work there, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shorfi111 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

This is actually off topic, but I wanted to let "30 year upser" know what happened with my son as far as UPS is concerned. He was hired as a seasonal worker and laid off about a week before this past Christmas. He hung in there for the duration, but was very discouraged with the pay he was getting weekly, but I told him something was better than nothing. He obviously never received a call back for permanent full-time.

Just wanted to let you know that he is now working full-time with a prominent insurance company and receiving benefits. Even though it didn't work out for him at UPS, just wanted to tell you the good news and to also express my appreciation for all the time you took in answering questions and encouraging my son as well as myself during that time.

Keep up the good work and thanks again :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

62 months ago

shorfi111 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: This is actually off topic, but I wanted to let "30 year upser" know what happened with my son as far as UPS is concerned. He was hired as a seasonal worker and laid off about a week before this past Christmas. He hung in there for the duration, but was very discouraged with the pay he was getting weekly, but I told him something was better than nothing. He obviously never received a call back for permanent full-time.

Just wanted to let you know that he is now working full-time with a prominent insurance company and receiving benefits. Even though it didn't work out for him at UPS, just wanted to tell you the good news and to also express my appreciation for all the time you took in answering questions and encouraging my son as well as myself during that time.

Keep up the good work and thanks again :)

I appreciate you taking the time to write to me. I am sorry it didn't work out for your son. If it had worked out, he would of had a great future with UPS. However things do work out for the better and it obviously has for your son and want to say congrats to him and the best of luck. Yes, he now has a future with insurance and more importantly, has benefits and is full time.
Thanks again for stopping by. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

USAF VET in Missouri

61 months ago

I just got hired off the street as a part time sup at a small ups facility. They told me I will have insurance within 30 working days. I just wanted to know what the benefits included and how much vacation time I will earn and if there is much hope for becoming a full time supervisor once you get in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

61 months ago

USAF VET in Missouri said: I just got hired off the street as a part time sup at a small ups facility. They told me I will have insurance within 30 working days. I just wanted to know what the benefits included and how much vacation time I will earn and if there is much hope for becoming a full time supervisor once you get in the door.

You're lucky you got hired as a supe, because it was as an hourly,you would of had to wait a year to get benefits,
Benefits at UPS are very good, thought I'm not sure as a supe you have to pay for them. As an hourly, you don't pay for them.
Vacations--you should get one week after the first year.
Full tieme--it will depend on your past experience, If you have a degree, especiually in business, that should help.
Good luck,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

USAF VET in Missouri

61 months ago

Thanks for the info. I have been researching what the atmosphere is like at most ups facilities. From what I read people really hate their jobs. Is this mostly at larger hubs where the package volume is really high or is the morale low company wide? I am a full time college student and I would be willing to change my major to business if there was a possibility I could move up. I understand that the job is stressful and I can handle it but I don't want to make a career choice where you are treated like dirt and are expected to treat others like dirt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Hilliard, Ohio

61 months ago

USAF VET,
I'm debating on joining the UPS team here in Columbus, Ohio. However, I would be taking a paycut initially. Just curious of what job posting you applied for? Did you apply for a package handler position and was offered a PT supervisor instead? I eventually would like to become a driver or a full-time supervisor.
Did it help that you are working on your degree to get the PT Supervisor position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

USAF VET in Missouri

61 months ago

I was applying for a package handler position because it would work out better for my school situation and during the interview process they asked if I wanted to interview for the PT supervisor position. My goal is to become a full time supervisor. From what I read, its harder to become a driver if your a supervisor than if you waited your turn as a package handler because of the union seniority. Supervisors at ups are non-union

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Hilliard, Ohio

61 months ago

Oh ok,
Any idea how much the PT and FT supervisor positions pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30yearupser in Missouri

61 months ago

USAF VET in Missouri said: Thanks for the info. I have been researching what the atmosphere is like at most ups facilities. From what I read people really hate their jobs. Is this mostly at larger hubs where the package volume is really high or is the morale low company wide? I am a full time college student and I would be willing to change my major to business if there was a possibility I could move up. I understand that the job is stressful and I can handle it but I don't want to make a career choice where you are treated like dirt and are expected to treat others like dirt.

You make the job on what you want to make it. If you show up everyday, are a hard worker and a good attitude you will be treated well. Many employees there are kids who would rather be going to concerts, but are working there just to make some money.
If you show interest that you want to move up with the company supervisors will notice that. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

auri in Miami, Florida

43 months ago

Hi 30 year upser, Can you give me any information about a Cargo Handler position? I will be interviewing for that position at the local airport. I believe the job is full-time from 11pm-8am. I also attend school full-time. I have experience working in a fast paced, carrying boxes atmosphere, but that experience came working in retail. I would really like to move up with this company, if hired. Also, will it help me starting as a Cargo Handler to later moving into the aviation aspect of UPS either as a Aircraft mechanic or Pilot? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.