USAA News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does USAA stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Me in San Antonio, Texas

93 months ago

I believe layoffs will one day be inevitable but that said they won't have to because they lose about 300 employees, either through termination or on their own, every month.

Each Monday new hires start and it really says something about a company where 190 to 200 new employees start every week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tony G laster in Edmond, Oklahoma

90 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does USAA stack up against the competition?

I see it going down daily. This is not the "OLD USAA" this is the era of the Davis Dollar.They are no longer the best in price or service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

layoffs continue.... in Zephyrhills, Florida

89 months ago

They just downsized another department. The whole thing was done with a bunch of half-truths and outright lies. First we were told only a couple people were going to remain in the regional offices (this is after going thru a restructure last year). But over the last few weeks, a few people have been individually offered their position back if they would move to TX or Phoenix...but those offers only went to the newer employees who are all under the age of 25.

The tenured employees are out or offered positions that were so far below their skill level, they declined them. And the ones the really focused on to get rid of are the ones the ones at the top of the pay scale w/in 5 years of retirement.

I've been there over 15 years. It's horrible now. Horrible. I'm ashamed to say I work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

N in Sacramento, California

86 months ago

I was there 16 years and spent the last 5 planning my way out. I took advantage of the unlimited 100% tuition reimbursement (no longer available) and got my masters. From day one I built up my 401k with their 100% match. I stashed away my yearly bonuses to build up a nest egg. I worked in the evenings and on weekends setting up my new career. This was when I was in my late 40's and I really got nervous toward the end.

Layoffs and firings were really targeted to the older employees near retirement and those with tenure. My best friend was let go just short of 20 loyal years. Another just short of 25 and retirement. I left in February and am so happy to be on my own. I'll be cashing in on the early pension at 55 (now discontinued.)

I ran into a fellow USAA employee who is over 50 years old who is being told she no longer fits the new USAA. This is not what the company was like in the 1990's when I came on board.

It's sad to see the decline. Once you lose experience you cannot buy, borrow or steal it back. It's like a tree- it just has to mature and gain experience over time.

I am now questioning the products I have with the company knowing the loss of training and experience with those who handle my money, investments and insurance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

no one important to USAA in Lakeland, Florida

86 months ago

I worked there for 3 + years, if you do not fit into the "click" you are out! The supervisors will try to make you leave on your own accord and if you do not they will find a reason. I was late 1 day due to the highway being shut down and my supervisor was on the phone with HR asking if she could fire me. There were 2 others in my unit that did not fit the click and 1 left the company the other left the office to go to another state to get away from this supervisor.
Let me tell you that is a company that is just going down hill every day. The non injury adjusters are receiving more than 40 new files a WEEK!!! They cannot handle the flow, so they send it off to a different department which ties them up to. The service is awful now there, you don't have time to investigate and handle the workflow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

waywick in tbd, Colorado

81 months ago

I'm sorry folks, the above comment was a big mistake. I did not intend to add to this thread, but liked what I saw due to my recent bad experience w/ the company and wanted to sign up for this service.

After going through the registration process, I thought the above comment would be like a signature line, or tagline for my profile.

I apologize for offending anyone, and can only sympathize w/ all of the above comments, as I just had/am having a terrible experience w/ USAA from the consumer end. Their claims adjuster is one of the worst examples of customer service I have ever dealt with.

Please to forgive,
waywick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

stressed out in Surprise, Arizona

77 months ago

That is pathetic. I don't understand why they keep such people. I have had several people tell me the bad experiences they have had working there. It is really sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

to tell the truth in Tampa, Florida

75 months ago

[QUOTE who=
This is not what the company was like in the 1990's when I came on board.

I am now questioning the products I have with the company knowing the loss of training and experience with those who handle my money, investments and insurance.

I was thinking the same thing. "knowing the loss of training and experience with those who handle my money, investments, and insurance." I am disengaging my products.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

heatwave218 in Corpus Christi, Texas

74 months ago

I worked at USAA as a contractor in 2004 and saw an array of some disturbing things in this company. I saw major outsourcing efforts to overseas companies. I saw people being asked to take pay cuts. I saw and had my own hours cut. On the flip side I saw people working 60 hours a week regularly. I could see that there was really no desire in myself to become a genuine part of USAA. I could see that there was just no reason for USAA to hire me on from their standpoint. I could also see that I was overloaded with work while the USAA employees themselves (FTEs) were living it up. Therefore, I took the first job out of there and never looked back. I have not regretted that decision in over 3 years, neither has my current employer. I since learned through connections there that I was replaced with 4 contractors. They probably accepted the pay cuts and reduced hours. I have heard of others leaving this company who were FTEs and who I thought would never leave it. It will be a big economic loss when USAA goes under, however, the good thing is that the building in San Antonio will make a great shopping mall someday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rug00 Miltr in Norfolk, Virginia

71 months ago

How are the claims jobs in Norfolk? DO they fire adjusters really easily? Is it hard to get off for vacation/holidays? This sounds like a bad place to work...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ladyfingers in Sacramento, California

68 months ago

Well, I work at the USAA location in Sacramento, CA and they announced today that they will close down the Sacramento, CA and Norfolk, VA operation. Before that news, I loved working for this company. Now I am just bitter because they were adamant that there would be no layoffs. But according to the "suits" who flew in on their private jet under the veil of night, they want and "need" the workers in our offices to relocate to other branches such as Phoenix, Colorado Springs, or San Antonio. Anyone who can't relocate will get a severance package. Sounds like layoffs to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan Mechanye in Utica, New York

68 months ago

Well I can tell you all as a upset customer of theres i have bolth car loans and banking with them they oter day i get a letter saying the cut my credit card by 9000 now mind you i have good credit and probably put 15k thew them last year and owed them less then 1k lol what kinda bussiness would do that i know they make anywhere from 2 to 4% from the retailer for the transaction so id look for a new job if they r doing this to there customers what will they do to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.