bottom line bob has left the building

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

bee in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

yesterday - the usaa board announced that the ceo has resigned/retired. if you retire on your own - wouldn't you announce it yourself on u-tv? guess they cleaned house before the end of 2007. good riddance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jess bacon in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

you have no idea what happened and have no right to speculate. he was an inspirational man that told you how it was and if you din't like it... get off the boat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

bee in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

bee in Tampa, Florida said: yesterday - the usaa board announced that the ceo has resigned/retired. if you retire on your own - wouldn't you announce it yourself on u-tv? guess they cleaned house before the end of 2007. good riddance.

i'm not speculating. i work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

George in Seattle, Washington

80 months ago

Yes we do we work there. Usaa has posted the biggest loss in history this year. We';; see what bonus time relects ol Jess

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Drachedame in San Antonio, Texas

80 months ago

Not a moment too soon! Glad the monster is gone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JustAnotherNumber in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

Good riddance to bad rubbish I say! I remember when USAA used to be about the members - now it is all about the money... similar to a "banking" environment. (Which would not be a bad thing if their PRIMARY focus was financials --- but it is not) The very few times I called in the past were pleasent, and the rep's were courtious and genually concerned about my situation - now I get the feeling that things are scripted, and that everyone is FORCED to try and sell me something at the end of every call - why is that? If I wanted something added to my policy I would have asked - I do not want it forced down my throat. Hopefully this new management shift will take things back --- to what it was like say 10 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frank Leigh in Chesapeake, Virginia

79 months ago

Oh great, after 8 years of extremely high stress and nothing that an employee could do right, I left this terrible environment.

...only to have them can Big Bob right after I leave.

I came in around the time that he did, and USAA seemed to be a great place to work. Slowly but surely Bob ended up making it an absolute hell hole to earn a living. Enough to make me give up great benefits and pay, just to keep me from having a stroke from all the stress.

And YES, everything IS scripted and customer service has NOTHING to do with the mission anymore. The final straw was them putting in second monitors so we could FORCE products down the throats of our members, and basically ignoring what the call was all about in the first place. And there was nothing that could be done about that...

...until now!

Bye Bob. Have fun destroying the next place you run!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

thrilled in San Antonio, Texas

77 months ago

jess bacon in Tampa, Florida said: you have no idea what happened and have no right to speculate. he was an inspirational man that told you how it was and if you din't like it... get off the boat.

Speaking from experience, (I have at least 4 times more working experience with USAA than bob), I remember when bob took over. EVERYTHING seemed to go downhill from the the day he arrived. USAA used to be a really great place to work. Most of the employees seemed to be proud to work there, and aware that we were extremely fortunate to be employed there. That was before bob took over. I know what it was like before bob. General McDermott made USAA the best place in the world to work. General Herres was OK, too. But I can't think of anything bob contributed to USAA that was good for anyone but bob. He may have been a great military hero, but he's not my idea of a corporate hero.

In my heart of hearts, I wonder if just maybe he mite have been fired. I'm picturing a possible scenario.

Man in golf shirt - "Bob, you're fired."

bob - "You can't fire me, I'm the CEO."

Man in golf shirt - "Bob, you are so fired, but we mite GIVE you the option of going quietly, and hopefully keep the membership from learning about some of the things you've been up to,how you've been spending USAA'S money, what you've been doing on company time, who you've been doing on company time, how you've been using the company jet, how much money "bonus" money you've racked up, etc"

bob - "Well, maybe a change would do me good. OK."

jess, sorry you "din't" appreciate hearing criticism of davis. Back in the day, he was probably a real military hero, but take a survey of the USAA employees. You'll probably learn there's another side to bob you "din't" know about. That's just my personal opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

To jess bacon in Tampa: Another thing you "din't" know. bob davis "din't" merely boink one of his female employees. The rabbit died, and davis produced another heir to the throne of infamy. One would think that bob would have had the sense to use a condom.
It was davis that lowered the bar causing the decline in service. When davis became the CEO, the atmosphere turned into a stench. It became clear that the beatings would continue until morale improved.
I loved USAA. The long-time members and the long- time employees on the front lines were among the finest people I've ever had the privilege to serve and to know. There will never be another General McDermott, but I doubt anyone saw the destruction coming that davis brought to the company.

My best wishes to the ones who survived.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

lee Marvin in Virginia Beach, Virginia

76 months ago

Frank Leigh in Chesapeake, Virginia said: Oh great, after 8 years of extremely high stress and nothing that an employee could do right, I left this terrible environment.

...only to have them can Big Bob right after I leave.

I came in around the time that he did, and USAA seemed to be a great place to work. Slowly but surely Bob ended up making it an absolute hell hole to earn a living. Enough to make me give up great benefits and pay, just to keep me from having a stroke from all the stress.

And YES, everything IS scripted and customer service has NOTHING to do with the mission anymore. The final straw was them putting in second monitors so we could FORCE products down the throats of our members, and basically ignoring what the call was all about in the first place. And there was nothing that could be done about that...

...until now!

Bye Bob. Have fun destroying the next place you run!

Well said dude, well said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

thrilled in San Antonio, Texas said: To jess bacon in Tampa: Another thing you "din't" know. bob davis "din't" merely boink one of his female employees. The rabbit died, and davis produced another heir to the throne of infamy. One would think that bob would have had the sense to use a condom.
It was davis that lowered the bar causing the decline in service. When davis became the CEO, the atmosphere turned into a stench. It became clear that the beatings would continue until morale improved.
I loved USAA. The long-time members and the long- time employees on the front lines were among the finest people I've ever had the privilege to serve and to know. There will never be another General McDermott, but I doubt anyone saw the destruction coming that davis brought to the company.

My best wishes to the ones who survived.

Comical how you go on and on about how I mistyped "didn't", real classy. You are probably a real jackass. You don't even know what you are talking about other then that. You were probably one of those old employees that was either fired or made to actually work. Sorry for your loss of your lazy ways. Glad you are gone, no matter who is CEO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

No, jess, wrong again. I suppose "other then that" is another typo? Maybe you meant to type "other THAN that."

I'm happily retired. I have over 40 commendations for superior service in the forms of presidential compliments addressed to General McDermott, General Herres, Bob Davis, certificates of appreciation for fraud detection and excellent service, and letters of appreciation from members dating from the mid-seventies to a few weeks before my retirement. And I'm invited to all retiree events. USAA does not invite former employees back if they have been fired.

What's comical is what you think passes for literacy. Obviously, USAA has lowered it's intellectual requirements if you represent the acceptable minimum standard for manpower these days. Do yourself, the company and the members a favor by taking a remedial English class. A high percentage of USAA's members have college educations. They can recognize ignorance.

You can put your hands over your ears, close your eyes, shake your head back and forth, and shout "la la la " all day, but it does not change the fact that the vast majority of contributers to this and other blogs on this subject feel the same way that I do about Davis. Do the math.

Your entire letter makes no sense. You say, "Sorry for your loss of your lazy ways." Why would you be sorry for MY loss of "my lazy ways"? What kind of logic is that? At least proof-read before you hit "enter". You'll be glad you did.

Name-calling is not "real classy", but keep writing. I get a kick out of your illerate attempts to defend a tyrant who has no defense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Sorry, "illerate" was just a typo for "illiterate". I shudda proof-read before I hit "enter".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

The sentence meant that I was sorry for the fact that you can not be an old, disengaged, unwilling to change, lazy employee any longer. There are still some here and they annoy me to death. You get a paycheck to do what they ask you to do, not buck the system. The statement made perfect sense. Maybe you’re going a little senile. Its ok, it happens to the best of us. However, I don't think that your inability to understand simple words is a problem of mine. Sorry to everyone out there in Blogland for mixing up then and than. I guess that makes me one big dummy. I really don’t know how I even dress myself in the morning. If you find me that much of an annoyance please do not feel obligated to write a response. I will understand and not be offended, not that I think that would bother you. Have a great day everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

You are SORRY that I CANNOT be an old, disengaged, unwilling to change, lazy employee any longer??? You would rather I be an "old, unwilling to change, lazy employee" now??? Make up your mind. Your comments get more bizarre each time you write.

Please find and use a dictionary. Look up the definitions of meanings of "fact" and "opinion". They have totally different meanings.

It's OK to agree to disagree. It's freedom of speech. I get that you disagree. I just hope your job doesn't require any contact with the members. If you are in customer service, please try to stick to form letters.

Your letters were humorous at first. Now, you are just making a fool of yourself. It's not fair to you when you have to keep explaining what you REALLY meant to say each time you wrote before. I'd rather have an intelligent exchange of ideas with someone who does not have to keep making futile attempts to explain their previous letters.

It's not a level playing field. And if you really wonder how you dress yourself in the morning, don't broadcast it. That is often a sign of senility, and I'm beginning to wonder if you can get dressed without outside help.

I have more important things to do than watch you make a fool of yourself. You go farther downhill each time you write,and I'm actually beginning to feel sorry for you and your absence of logic.

I think most of the readers understand you love bob. Your stabs at personal attacks against me are humorous, but they still don't make any sense. Seriously, don't you know an English teacher or a person with a higher education?

You are not annoying me or offending me. I said clearly before that I got a kick out of your letters. Now, I'm just feeling sorry for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

thrilled in San Antonio, Texas said: You are SORRY that I CANNOT be an old, disengaged, unwilling to change, lazy employee any longer??? You would rather I be an "old, unwilling to change, lazy employee" now??? Make up your mind. Your comments get more bizarre each time you write.

Please find and use a dictionary. Look up the definitions of meanings of "fact" and "opinion". They have totally different meanings.

It's OK to agree to disagree. It's freedom of speech. I get that you disagree. I just hope your job doesn't require any contact with the members. If you are in customer service, please try to stick to form letters.

Your letters were humorous at first. Now, you are just making a fool of yourself. It's not fair to you when you have to keep explaining what you REALLY meant to say each time you wrote before. I'd rather have an intelligent exchange of ideas with someone who does not have to keep making futile attempts to explain their previous letters.

It's not a level playing field. And if you really wonder how you dress yourself in the morning, don't broadcast it. That is often a sign of senility, and I'm beginning to wonder if you can get dressed without outside help.

I have more important things to do than watch you make a fool of yourself. You go farther downhill each time you write,and I'm actually beginning to feel sorry for you and your absence of logic.

I think most of the readers understand you love bob. Your stabs at personal attacks against me are humorous, but they still don't make any sense. Seriously, don't you know an English teacher or a person with a higher education?

You are not annoying me or offending me. I said clearly before that I got a kick out of your letters. Now, I'm just feeling sorry for you.

I don't know you and I think this needs to stop. Good luck in life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ex-employee in Tampa, Florida

74 months ago

jess bacon in Tampa, Florida said: Comical how you go on and on about how I mistyped "didn't", real classy. You are probably a real jackass. You don't even know what you are talking about other then that. You were probably one of those old employees that was either fired or made to actually work. Sorry for your loss of your lazy ways. Glad you are gone, no matter who is CEO.

Jessica, perhaps you would remember me, and perhaps not. However, you are off base when you blanketly call everyone that left the company "lazy or fired". I was severanced out, to my disappointment. Happy now, as I landed a fantastic job elsewhere. Think back to who you know/knew was severanced out because they didn't feel a certain dept. was needed in Tampa anymore. Please be careful of your blanket statements. I worked my behind off for that company. IF you have a clue who I am, you know it to be true. I didn't choose to leave (although I am happy about it now), nor was I lazy or fired. Please, think before you write something here......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I never had a certain person in mind and sorry if it offended you. I didn't work there when the huge cuts happend that that's to what I was referring. There are certain people especially one person that was let go recently that I was shocked b/c I thought they were the best. No one knew it was coming and a lot of people that found out where upset. There was also a person that work w/ my team and when they decided to leave instead of taking a lower position I was sad b/c I liked that person. She was easy to talk to and understand. She would have been a great help w/ all the changes happening. I wish you all the best. There is no way that I think everyone that has moved onto another company is lazy. I don't plan on making a career out of it b/c it is not my passion. The longer I type and think about it I know who you are and trust me, that was not for you. You worked your little tail off and we loved you for it on my little team. P.S. I never used that toothpaste b/c of your warning. I still remember you everytime I am at the store and have to some up. Maybe if my hubby ticks me off I may slip him some... j/k. GOOD LUCK "K"!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ex-employee in Tampa, Florida

74 months ago

jess bacon in Tampa, Florida said: I never had a certain person in mind and sorry if it offended you. I didn't work there when the huge cuts happend that that's to what I was referring. There are certain people especially one person that was let go recently that I was shocked b/c I thought they were the best. No one knew it was coming and a lot of people that found out where upset. There was also a person that work w/ my team and when they decided to leave instead of taking a lower position I was sad b/c I liked that person. She was easy to talk to and understand. She would have been a great help w/ all the changes happening. I wish you all the best. There is no way that I think everyone that has moved onto another company is lazy. I don't plan on making a career out of it b/c it is not my passion. The longer I type and think about it I know who you are and trust me, that was not for you. You worked your little tail off and we loved you for it on my little team. P.S. I never used that toothpaste b/c of your warning. I still remember you everytime I am at the store and have to some up. Maybe if my hubby ticks me off I may slip him some... j/k. GOOD LUCK "K"!!

I forgot about the toothpaste story!!! You got it. I am who you think I am. Believe me, I am very happy now working for a commercial u/w company. I appreciate the fact that y'all cared about me--really! I love all you guys, and hope/pray that everything works out for ya. I still have products at USAA, I just have that painful sore that they did to me/us what they did. In the end, it was defintely for the best. Please let everyone know that was on J's team that I think about y'all often! Miss you all, wish you the best, and never give your hubby that toothpaste! You take care, and sorry if I came across being a B!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.