My Vector Marketing Experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 52)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

crootworld@aol.com in Lake Worth, Florida

41 months ago

crootworld@aol.com in Lake Worth, Florida said: YOUNG STUDENTS BEWARE: Take it from a seasoned hiring and training manager...this is not a good job for you.
Scenario: I was called by a representative and told I would be paid $15.00/hour as a customer service rep to answer client questions. I have a full time job but wanted a part-time one as supplemental income. This was fine.

When I arrived I filled out a form and a sign said to sit and wait quietly and wait for a manager. I was taken by the structure and the yound man in a suit that came out to say hello and talk on his cell phone about cutlery. Eventually a young man turned a radio on that skipped and the room started to fill up with other "very young" applicants. Feeling a little out of place being over 40 the others said they were students looking for jobs.

I was supposed to meet with "Fred" but was called in by another assistant manager that I would guess was maybe 20. I was told this was the first stage and if I had time there would be a second stage for about 90 minutes. I was asked from 1 to 10 (best case) how I would rate my communication skills...I said 10. When asked why I let him know I'm a previous corporate trainer, seminar speaker, and currently an expert in relationship selling in my full time job. I was asked if I looked up information about Vector I told him "Yes" that they sold cutlery and the company had a preference for students to teach them business acumen and protocal. I then asked him the golden question..I was told this paid $15.00 per hour to be a customer service rep. He informed me that they paid $15.00 per appointment and you go to peoples homes to sell cutlery. When I asked why the bait and switch the interview was basically over and I told him with a smirk that I guess I didn't make the cut.
Students and young folks....you do not want to start your professional career at this company. The biggest risk I see here is your safety going to people's homes with knifes????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

crootworld@aol.com in Lake Worth, Florida

41 months ago

crootworld@aol.com in Lake Worth, Florida said:

I didn't have the room to say this in the other post.....

Have confidence in yourself....you can do better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Raleigh, North Carolina

38 months ago

I applied for Vector once, at around 7pm. As soon as I was done with the application (about 10 minutes later), my phone rang, and it was Vector! That was a big tip off to me that something was not right (who does this type of business/recruiting at 7pm?). I ignored the call, and went online to research the company only to find that it was basically a scam. They continued to call me non-stop everyday for nearly 3 weeks. I ignored every call, and I warned anyone looking for a [marketing] job to stay far from Vector. I feel bad for the young people just entering the workforce who get taken by these people. Just keep looking and the right position will come to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Auburndale, Florida

25 months ago

I am an Ex-Employee at Vector;
I started at the start of the summer and remember my interview; A small office filled with metal, fold out chairs; There was mildew creeping in from the door; which surprised me, to say the least
Well, we had 15 people in the room all-together; Most of us aged between 17 and 25; but there were two older people, Well, for the first part of the interview, me and someone else went into the office with the Branch Manager; he asked us bits and pieces about our applications, which lasted maybe 3 minutes for us two; well a little later on the two older people were called into the office and were in there for one minute, they both walked out the front door without saying a word to anyone
That struck me odd
Well, then the second part of the interview came along and we all sat down and watched the presentation, I got to meet new people and had a good time
Then the third part came; we all got told what he thought about us and whether or not we would be hired, he loved my enthusiasm and my energy, so I was hired! As were the other 13 people as well

Well, then my training was a few days away, so I wanted to read a bit more about the company itself, it seemed amazing! I found multiple websites and petitions saying bad things about the company, I then was very cautious with the company, not trusting it

Well, training came along and I stayed for day one, we got to talk about some of the manual, joke around a bit, and sit in the god forsaken metal chairs which jabbed into your back for an entire day, we also were not allowed to have a lunch break, so I was starving I then went home and started doing what my boss asked me to do, put together a list of 100+ people and 20+ numbers, now I wasn't able to meet the people requirement and I was just short of the numbers requirement, so I made up some numbers (Felt guilty, but whatever)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Auburndale, Florida

25 months ago

(cont)
Day two of training: Same deal, but we got to cut fruit, I found a group of people just like me, I told them what I found out and they checked it out, Suspicion grew more in me against the company

Day three of training: Last day, I wanted to finish strong! Well, as the training days went by, we had more and more people drop this job (especially people I spoke to) we were issued our sample kits and were told to go have a good time on our appointments! I went energetically to my first few appointments (well all of my appointments; as I have ADHD, so my energy levels are through the roof)

I got my first pay check about a week after I started, I got paid $101 for like, 7 appointments, so I was grinning, I finally earned a paycheck, so I loosened up a bit towards Vector, not being so cautious, well I don't think that was smart now

About 3 Weeks ago, i didn't make a sale, which I didn't stress out about, as we only have to make sales once a year to keep our sample kit and our job! At least that was what I was told during training; WELL, as I told my boss I didn't make any sales, he told me he would be required to take away my kit, which struck me oddly; but I replied to with "Okay.." And started making appointments, well then I got a call from my dad, I told him what my boss told me and my dad told me I need to find a real job ASAP; I told him just to give me a week to turn around everything, he hesitantly agreed to do that; I spoke to him after getting home and he said he is just trying to look out for me, which I can respect

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jes in New York, New York

19 months ago

Someone who I knew in High school gave my name to Vector, and they called my phone over and over but never left a message. When I called back, the receptionist wanted to set up an interview for the same day. I was suspicious bc they didn't have my resume or know anything about me. It seemed way too easy. When I said that day wouldn't work for me she asked why. I said I already had plans and she said fine how about tomorrow? I said I guess that will work, but I knew very little about this company or what I would even be doing. When I asked she said that I would be explaining products to customers and that I'd be paid 17 an hr. When I got off the phone with her I googled Vector and saw many posts about Scams and negative experiences. Hesitant, I called back to talk to a manager and possibly cancel my interview depending on what was said. When I asked to speak to a manager for more information and clarification than the receptionist told me, she got an attitude and told me she already explained to me what i would be doing. I said, yes you told me that i would just be answering customer questions, but I want to know if I would really be selling knives, not answering questions. Then had the nerve to say thank you for nothing and hang up on me. How unprofessional. Glad I didn't even waste my time on an interview!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ricergirl in Tupelo, Mississippi

19 months ago

I see all this negativity from people at vector. Let me ask ya'll a question? If a student fails in school who do they blame, the teachers or himself? well of course its his own fault for failing. Ive been in vector for a few weeks now. I didn't have to buy the demo kit and yes the training isn't paid but in the end its worth it. I enjoy my job there and my schedule is very flexible and i get paid way more than what i get paid at my normal 8-5 job. I have sold several knives and my network is growing. I love it. Try not to read into others negativity. Like i said before - no one blames themselves for their own failures. It is a job you HAVE to work for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Kai in Sterling, Virginia

19 months ago

I'm probably not going to take the job because I have Social Anxiety Disorder, but I'm interviewing tomorrow just because a friend who works there referred me. This friend is the kind of person who doesn't take crap from people, so if he hasn't quit yet, I trust that this particular branch isn't as horrid as some people make the entire company out to be.

My guess is that most people spouting out the "scam" negativity have either been reading outdated information, had negative experiences with individual people in the company, or have no experience and are the kind of people who are right no matter what even if they're wrong and if you have a different opinion then they must attack you.

Honestly, if someone has a different experience or opinion does it REALLY call for you tossing out profanities and attacking them about it when you can just calmly explain your point of view without losing any point in a garble of heated incomprehensible yelling about how stupid the other person is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

richard

17 months ago

hello this morning i applied for vector an im a collage student looking for a part time job to fit around my school schudle an sound promising so i applied as i read about others experinces at vector im glad i found out the truth about what would be a dieaster thanks that was helpful to me not commiting to a scam an it made sense bait an switch that aint cool an poor reputation for any company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

crisstar in Riverside, California

17 months ago

This is a very odd company. Many years ago I interviewed for a position in an really bare bones dingy looking office that appeared to not have any air conditioning (this is in Calif) and red flags went up immediately. If this company is doing so well, why do they have their offices in dingy run-down business areas? It seems like these offices are "fly by night" and I wouldn't trust them at all. I never took the position, but instead worked online in my own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

julierein81@yahoo.com in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

17 months ago

I found Vector through snagajob.com and I filled out the application, and then I called them instead of waiting for them to call me, they scheduled an interview for me the same day at 5 PM. So I went for the interview and was made an offer to come back for the training that was a 3 day 5-6 hours each day with only 1 15 minute break and the training is unpaid. I was with 3 other people the 1st day, 2 the 2nd day and all by myself the 3rd day and on the 3rd day I was hired and given a $370.00 kit on loan. I had 6 demos scheduled my 1st weekend and 5 of them canceled so in my first and only two weeks I did a total of 3 demos but will only get paid for 1 because I didn't have my customers fill out a verification form that I don't recall being told about. Also every time I called they're PDI number that I was told that when called my calls will always be answered only 1 of my calls were answered and a few of my calls were returned within a day and I also had a few that were never returned, I did not feel the support I was told I would receive from Casey O'Conner. I have no intentions on cashing the check I receive if I even receive one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

NAROXS in North Salt Lake, Utah

16 months ago

It is so funny reading over these comments because they are all true even right down to the interview process. I really think that the funniest part is these people are all trying to talk bad about the company but in reality they are only talking bad about themselves. Every one of these negative comments are a reflection of the individual person. Every where you work the company has there set of rules and guidelines of what is expected of you. If you do not follow those guidelines you will not be successful right. So what they have a formatted interview process if it works why fix it. As for the so called seasoned hireing and training expert it makes me wonder what your motivations are here because if you really new anything about training and hireing you would no it is very repetitious no matter what the job.. Vector is not for everyone but the people who work the job like a job and not some money tree that just produces dollars out of thin air You can and will be very successful. Post like the ones I read here are very destructful wastes of time. If I went on and slamed McDonalds because I did not like there policy and procedures it would damage there recruiting process too. Just so you know about 3 months ago due to the economy I was homeless and I rode a Mt bike for transportation and could not find a job any where. VECTOR MARKETING hired me when no one else would. I put in about 30 hours a week and in a matter of three weeks have been able to rent an apartment and in two months I have bought a truck. The truck is compleatly paid for and I am able to pay bills and suport my family again. It takes work to be successful at any job no matter what it is and Vector is no diffent you have to work for what you want. So if you want a great opertunity and are willing to work for a living VECTOR is the right place. I have more time for the family than I ever have had and I am making a pretty good living besides that if I want to take the day off I can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Justin in Carlsbad, California

16 months ago

About a week after I graduated from high school, I got a letter in the mail from Vector. I had no idea what it was, so I called and went into for an interview because I was looking for a summer job. I thought Cutco was very cool when the interviewer cut through a penny with the scissors, and I immediately thought of several people I wanted to show it to. That summer was one of the most memorable summers ever, and I met a ton of great people, sold a bunch of cutco, and made some good money for my freshman year at Arizona. 12 years later, and those people still love their Cutco, and continue to place orders. Would never trade my experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Msather in Duluth, Minnesota

16 months ago

Vector has been the best thing that ever happened to me. Showed me I could work somewhere I truly enjoyed, gave me confidence and communication skills I couldn't have gotten elsewhere, and taught me to be a better and more positive person. Takes 2 things to be a good rep with Vector: Positive Attitude and a Strong Work Ethic. If you have those to things (aka aren't lazy/negative), it's great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Hindley in Denver, Colorado

16 months ago

I started working with Vector Marketing as a receptionist five years ago. After 8 months of observing sales reps and their challenges/reactions to the job, I saw the same pattern over and over again: the ones with a great attitude who worked hard and followed the program REALLY enjoyed their jobs and were successful. So, being a positive and motivated person, I decided to try it, and I LOVED it! I was so happy when my job selling CUTCO started making me enough money I could quit delivering newspapers! Not having to be up at 3am every day made it easier to focus in school... long story short, I graduated from Metro State with a music composition degree, and am currently a District Manager. I know not everyone has had my experience, but I wouldn't trade the skills I've gained here for anything else I did in college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

John Wasserman in Dublin, Pennsylvania

16 months ago

I answered the add to work for Cutco and Vector 20 years ago while in College at Lock Haven University. They promised me that I could set my own schedule, get pay raises, hit promotions, possibly even get college credits for working there, and gain valuable experience. So I gave it a shot for my winter break. Best decision ever! I was able to pay for school, get a car after several pay raises, got 14 college credits as an intern at Vector, and my resume was so impressive that my College Advisor, drove 45 minutes just to meet my manager. Really glad I took the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Nashville, Tennessee

16 months ago

I saw an advertisement as a college student just while I was home for winter break. It wasn't easy finding valuable work experience over winter or summer breaks while in college, and Cutco/Vector turned into a great winter break and summer break job that was flexible around vacation and had the earning potential where I could earn and save some good money as a college student. The job was so fun that I stayed with the company throughout the rest of college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

HanaK in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

16 months ago

I got a job for Vector through my friend who was already employed with the company. I knew exactly that it was sales and, seeing that I had no experience in sales previously, I figured I had no right to judge the position before I gave it a try. Almost three years later, I'm so thankful I gave it a try. I don't think I'll ever find a job as supporting, fun, and exciting as working for Vector. My resume is completely stacked now for future employers. Also, I've been fortunate enough with the company to take some absolutely incredible trips both inside and outside of the United States. I owe Vector a huge debt of gratitude for shaping me into the person I am today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jade in Albuquerque, New Mexico

16 months ago

My experience with Vector Marketing has been amazing! I started in May of 2011 as a part time receptionist. After two and a half months of seeing the positive, outgoing environment and getting to know the management staff, I decided to give the rep position a try. I'm so glad I did. The representative position helps with confidence, sales skills, communication skills, and helps students pay for school with the opportunity to earn scholarships.
I eventually moved up into management and recently opened my own district office. This was supposed to be a short term job, but after getting the training, pay, opportunities, and experience, I decided to make it my career. Best decision I ever made!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Providence, Rhode Island

16 months ago

Vector was HANDS DOWN the BEST decision I've ever made for my professional life. I worked there all through college, and just landed my dream job working 1-on-1 with a company president in foreign language and culture product development, right out of college. All 4 senior managers I interviewed with were infinitely more impressed with my Vector experience than with my ivy league degree from Brown University - we barely talked about school.

I grew so much as a person through my years with Vector, mentally, socially, intellectually... Many of my best friends I met within the company. It was definitely challenging at times, but so is everything in life. Without a challenge, it wouldn't have been nearly as fun or rewarding.

Every manager there is truly in the business of building a team and leading people. They believe in you more than you believe in yourself, and they are invested in your personal success.

People who have poor experiences at Vector fall into 2 categories: lack of belief and lack of effort. Have faith in the programs and give 100%, and there is nothing that Vector can't help you achieve.

Take it or leave it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Jacksonville, Florida

16 months ago

I heard about the job from a friend in May of 2006. I had never done anything like the position, but the pay looked good so I decided to check it out - best decision ever! I don't know where I'd be without working for Vector. I worked my butt off my first summer (more full time than anything I'd ever done) but at the end of it I was able to graduate from college debt free and have been financially independent since that summer (I was 18 when I started). I learned more about business, people and myself through the company than I thought was possible. If you follow the program and work hard it can be totally life changing...not to mention ridiculous money and experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Graduating College Student in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

I started with Vector out of high school with limited experience. I was preparing to start my Marketing Degree at a private collegiate institution in Los Angeles. With no skills, Vector offered me an opportunity to earn more income than the rest of my friends that summer.

I decided the opportunity was valuable enough to stick around while going to school. The job was flexible enough, and the knowledge and experience that came along with it was invaluable. I was able to gain some independence both personally and financially.

Now as I graduate four years later, the company has given me an opportunity to earn, once again, more income than any of my graduating peers.

The opportunity is invaluable to anyone who is looking to improve their future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in San Jose in South Lake Tahoe, California

16 months ago

I am been with Vector for 12 years now. Very rarely to people get to say they love what they do. I have been fortunate to have this opportunity given to me by a business card and a chalkboard posting on my local college.

Regards of all the money I've earned. The personal and professional growth have changed who am I forever...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan Casey in Seattle, Washington

16 months ago

Looking at this feed it looks like all the negative stuff is from awhile back. It's too bad some people have had a bad experience. I started as a senior in high school and was able to pay for all my schooling at University of Washington with the money I earned from Cutco. It was a fun job, that was so easy to work around my class schedule and I am still friends with a ton of the people that I got to work with over the last 15 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J_miller in Riverside, California

16 months ago

I started with vector in the summer of 2004, right out of high school. I had no relevant experience going into the job, but through the training and support provided by the company I quickly excelled. Since then I have been given the opportunity to get numerous promotions, get experience in sales, training, leadership, and working with all different types of people.

I have also earned college credit through working with vector. I love my job and would recommend it to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matt Boland in El Cajon, California

16 months ago

I started as a transplant - new to California by way of Pennsylvania. Had never heard of the company or the product before, but it turned out I had a lot of family that had Cutco for years.

Found out about the job online while I was a grad student at the Academy of Art University. I never had any experience in sales or customer service so I was pretty terrible when I started, but I did make some small sales initially because the product is top notch. My trainers really helped me out in the beginning and after a few weeks on the job I was able to contend with some of the top reps in my office.

It's been a VERY positive experience for me - partly because I enjoy working hard, but mostly because I've been lucky to work with great teachers and solid programs. I would HIGHLY recommend this job for people looking to get their feet wet with work experience and add to their resume, or to anyone looking for a way to enjoy their work and get a competitive edge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Tampa, Florida

16 months ago

I started working with Cutco/Vector in June of 1998. The opportunity was AMAZING. Of course, as in life, there are people that don't succeed, but if you want to do something that can/will give you a great foundation for the future from a communication, time management, professional standpoint this is a great direction. I was also able to earn between $15-$21k each summer for 3 consecutive summers while in college. After graduation I was able to go 7-7 on job interviews due to the experience on the resume. If you love meeting people, growing yourself and resume, and being paid for your effort this is a great position to take advantage of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Ventura, California

16 months ago

I heard about this job after I got an advertisement letter in the mail. It was surreal because I had been on the job hunt to cover school expenses. It was a pretty rad experience. I was an amateur skateboarder at the time and I traveled a lot around SoCal, the appointment scheduling worked well for me because my skating schedule was so hectic. I stuck with them through out college and had a great time. Good company, good people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jthall in Rodeo, California

16 months ago

I can't say enough great things about this company and the people that I have worked with. When I started I was on unemployment and felt like my life was going nowhere. I have worked in restaurants, wineries and even managed a private vineyard for 4 years. I loved the people I worked with there too but there was no room for advancement at any of my past jobs. I started with Vector in 2011 at age 27 as a sales rep, the same way that everyone starts. I worked hard and six months later I had reached the highest level sales rep in the company. I worked as an assistant manager for the next 8 months and then was promoted to District Manager. I was guided by my District Manager every step of the way. If I ever had a challenge or a question I could always go to him for support and get the answers I needed to continue to grow. The people that I worked with in and outside of my office were always positive and helpful. Everyone wanted to see me do well and it showed in their support. The product that we represent is one of the finest cutlery brands ever created but its the people that make the company so great. I have met friends through Vector that I will have the rest of my life. Each office is a little bit different, but I have found that if you surround yourself by the right type of people it will automatically push you in the right direction. I want to thank everyone for not letting me give up on myself. I would recommend Vector to anyone who wants to be a part of an amazing team while at the same time developing the skills that they will need in their futures. My best wishes to everyone that reads this, I hope it helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jmason in Jamestown, New York

16 months ago

My Vector experience has been life changing for me. I saw an ad in the news paper for a job that advertised $12.00 base/ appt. (not per hour). so I went in for the interview to see what it was all about in a store front in a plaza in my town. Being out of Marine Corps training, I was having a hard time finding a job when I came back

Everything worked out for me and as I advanced through the company I learned more and more about how great of a company it was to work for and exactly how it worked!

A year later I made the choice to sell CUTCO more as a career rather than just for a temporary job. I now run my own office and it was the best thing I could have done.

Before Vector, I had no idea what I was going to do with my life. Vector is the perfect place for some one who doesn't know where they should be!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kassy in Cleveland, Ohio

16 months ago

I started working with Vector 4 years ago, and it has been the highlight of my life ever since. Going into the interview I was a little uneasy like most people (selling knives really??) but my friend Kim refereed me to the job so I decided to give it a chance, and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Before I worked at Vector I was super shy, not confident, and just an overall awkward person, I'd never fit in with any group of people as well as I wanted to.

Once I started with Vector I found my nitch I have formed great relationships with people all of the country. Gained communication/ public speaking skills, and have transformed into a very confident individual.

Vector has allowed me to have a tun of life chaining experiences: helping others, travailing all over the world, running my own business,making close to 6 figures in my early 20's, etc.

I would never change my Vector experience for anything! But, of course, IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE, nothing is. My advice to anyone contemplating working for Vector is just do it, you are going to find a career that you love, OR not, but either way you will gain some important life skills in the process. Either way it's a win win situation :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason Heinritz

16 months ago

I've worked with Vector since 2004. I've been on 13 company trips outside the US, made over 100k while attending college, and have learned priceless life skills. Like any school or sport, what you put into it, you get out of it. If someone is lazy, isn't willing to grow as a person, or is a negative person. This job isn't for everyone , but neither is success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Demian Scopp in New York, New York

16 months ago

I started with Cutco july 2 , 1999. I was a SR in HS, no experience, only having had been 6 years in the US. A friend of mine got me the job, the interview was simple, i mean, its a simple job. What i like the most about this job is that theres always a training manual that you can read and you get paid for your work that you do as well as your results. Its very motivating to take time to improve my skills and then see a tangible reward.

So why did I do well? In training, I just decided to believe what the manager was saying. Im not a very skeptical person and I have faith in people who seem like they have good intentions. I memorized what they told me to memorize and completed my assignments. I was always early and tried to take alot of notes. My first week I practiced on 15 people, mostly my friends parents from HS and grade school, and 2 of my mom's friends. While reading the manual, 14 of those 15 bought something, which really was exciting since I made about $600 in income the first 10 days! The other reason that I was successful is that my mom pushed me really hard to focus on referrals. I memorized my approach and would start getting between 5-10 leads on each demo which would convert to 2-3 more demos. Since I'm not from the US and have no family here and didn't grow up in a neighborhood, I had to get leads, but even that was simple when i memorized the approach word for word. I sold cutco for 6 years in chicago and paid for DePaul U, graduating with a degree in Psych. Then I left cutco and had a few other jobs, then I came back 4 years later because I missed my cutco friends and the environment. I decided that working with college students was a career I wanted to so I went into cutco management. Ive never stopped selling, Im at $270,000 in sales currently and still sell today.

I recommend vector if you're seeking experience in communication skills and like people. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Redding, California

15 months ago

Ricergirl in Tupelo, Mississippi said: I see all this negativity from people at vector. Let me ask ya'll a question? If a student fails in school who do they blame, the teachers or himself? well of course its his own fault for failing. Ive been in vector for a few weeks now. I didn't have to buy the demo kit and yes the training isn't paid but in the end its worth it. I enjoy my job there and my schedule is very flexible and i get paid way more than what i get paid at my normal 8-5 job. I have sold several knives and my network is growing. I love it. Try not to read into others negativity. Like i said before - no one blames themselves for their own failures. It is a job you HAVE to work for it!

I don't think it is the failing that people are blaming on Vector, but rather the lack of honesty and integrity in the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kasha in Conway, Arkansas

15 months ago

I started with Vector almost two years ago and it has been absolutely life changing for me. I was a college student waiting tables to make money. I had a friend come in and work who actually recommended me . It was hard WORK ( which I think is what is wrong with young people these days, they don't know how to WORK). I agree with a comment above.. now days if a student fails it's always the teachers fault never the students. I would like to see more people take blame for their own downfalls and stop blaming others. Vector is very up front in the interview all the way down to letting applicants know that the training is unpaid. By the way, most internships at major companies are unpaid as well. It is a great opportunity and if you are considering it then i would for sure give it a try! It isn't for everyone obviously,but for those who work hard it is great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kasha in Conway, Arkansas

15 months ago

(cont'd) and just like with ANY other company, there are some managers who may have made mistakes, but that happens everywhere. Vector is a great company and I will continue to work for them as long I can!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wisedup in Chesapeake, Virginia

15 months ago

Hi, one and all!
The bottom line is - if you get a letter with a job offering, and it's no info on the letterhead, except the name of the company (like just "Vector" in a blue letters) - forget about it! No reputable employer will solicit potential employees like that! it's an universal rule!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Diamond in West Palm Beach, Florida

15 months ago

Ricergirl in Tupelo, Mississippi said: I see all this negativity from people at vector. Let me ask ya'll a question? If a student fails in school who do they blame, the teachers or himself? well of course its his own fault for failing. Ive been in vector for a few weeks now. I didn't have to buy the demo kit and yes the training isn't paid but in the end its worth it. I enjoy my job there and my schedule is very flexible and i get paid way more than what i get paid at my normal 8-5 job. I have sold several knives and my network is growing. I love it. Try not to read into others negativity. Like i said before - no one blames themselves for their own failures. It is a job you HAVE to work for it!

After awhile, when most of the students are failing (many complaints and negative feedback) everyone begins to turn to the teacher. Your comment has no point or purpose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Croak in Seattle, Washington

15 months ago

Aya Myst in Toronto, Ontario said: I’d also like to know this: why was he so desperate that I tell him my reasons and continue with the company anyway?

Because that gives him an opening to pitch you more, and he is making money from recruiting people, not selling knives.

Consumerist explains how you can lose money working for Vector Marketing: consumerist.com/2007/06/04/why-most-people-in-multi-level-marketing-schemes-lose-money/

Consumer Reports, in a review of knives, rated their "Salad Mates" poorly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Croak in Seattle, Washington

15 months ago

More coverage of MLMs: www.mlmwatch.org/00AboutMLMWatch/faq.html

Basically, bad deal for most people, and success, if at all, comes through unethical conduct: deceptive marketing, selling mediocre products at high prices, pressing new participants to pay for stock out of their own pockets, and so on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Lynchburg, Virginia

14 months ago

I currently work as a receptionist for vector and I absolutely love it! Yes, it can be deceiving if you don't take the time to research our company. Our website CLEARLY states what our representatives do. As for requiring a deposit, that is no longer true. Vector willingly loans you the kit and guess what, people have actually ripped them off by stealing it and not coming back. The money from that kit then comes out of Vector's pocket. The representatives at our office have been extremely successful and love their job. This job helps you develop business skills and leadership skills. Also, my manager is absolutely wonderful. He encourages the receptionists and even pays them extra if they are able to bring people to the team. My first paycheck was exactly what it was supposed to be. Yes, there are some branches out there who did not do what they were supposed to and some managers who weren't the best. But those branches have been dealt with in a proper manner. I am so thankful I have had the opportunity to be a part of the Vector team. To anyone who has an interview but is worried about all these negative comments, don't listen to them. Go to the interview and see for yourself. Because I have seen firsthand how successful people are and how much they love their job. If you work hard and put forth the effort, as you should do in any job, you can be very successful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dillon in Niles, Ohio

14 months ago

I just recently started, but I will share what I know right now I started off really worried because of the internet always full of the truth and lies and its hard to discern which is the truth and which isn't. I know people are saying it's door to door well that is not true Vector is based on personal recommendations. As for the prices I don't know if people didn't go through all the training , but for a knife set that is 2nd to Cutco its x3 the price and it is x2 if it's on sale. I truly believe in the product I sell otherwise I wouldn't do the job. I have gained great experience with talking with people, although I haven't gotten to the 2nd form of references that are from family and friends. I also know that as of yet I wasn't charged any money for the knife set they loaned it to us and told us that we would not need to pay for it to return it when we decided we were done with the job. I love the people I work with at the moment they are all very nice outgoing people trying to help you succeed. My manager is a amazing women and I recently attended a small conference like meeting and met another manager that was very nice. I really hope if your in the Boardman/Warren area in Ohio you will at least give it a chance because I can tell you that I know this area is full of nice people. I suggest we start figuring out the bad / good areas.I vouch +1 For Warren/Boardman Oh and by the way I have worked here maybe a week so I have no reason to defend Vector except from personal experience Good Luck everyone I hope you don't say no because of something you see on the internet. As most people know you can't believe everything you see just because it is on the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dillon in Niles, Ohio

14 months ago

Oh one thing I wanted to add kind of like a Source or something people may call it.

www.bbb.org/upstate-new-york/business-reviews/cutlery/vector-marketing-corporation-in-olean-ny-1105

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Monterey, CA in Salinas, California

14 months ago

Hey guys! I'm confused and puzzled, so I need your guys help. About a week ago, I received a mail from Vector and it looked like a great opportunity, but didn't want to call without knowing all the details. I read about the vector scam, and an abudance of negative/positive experiences which puts me in the middle on not knowing what to do. If anyone on here could reply as soon as possble in great detail or maybe a step by step process, it would mean everything to me. Thank you in advance.

Justin in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

Sean in Monterey, CA in Salinas, California said: Hey guys! I'm confused and puzzled, so I need your guys help. About a week ago, I received a mail from Vector and it looked like a great opportunity, but didn't want to call without knowing all the details. I read about the vector scam, and an abudance of negative/positive experiences which puts me in the middle on not knowing what to do. If anyone on here could reply as soon as possble in great detail or maybe a step by step process, it would mean everything to me. Thank you in advance.

Sean, wanted to help you out here. I work on the corporate side of the company, but I got that same letter 12 years ago. I'm not sure what specific questions you have, but this might be a good place to start: www.vectormarketing.com/got-questions. That site pretty much covers many of the main questions that we get on a regular basis. As you know, anyone can post anything online, and we're not different from any other company where people have the freedom and a platform to express their opinion, whether it be good or bad, about their experience.

I recommend going to that site, then spend some more time on our site so you can have as much information as you need so you can know what we do before you go in for an interview. Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll be happy to answer them for you. We definitely have nothing to hide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jecofield in San Diego, California

14 months ago

Sean in Monterey, CA in Salinas, California said: Hey guys! I'm confused and puzzled, so I need your guys help. About a week ago, I received a mail from Vector and it looked like a great opportunity, but didn't want to call without knowing all the details. I read about the vector scam, and an abudance of negative/positive experiences which puts me in the middle on not knowing what to do. If anyone on here could reply as soon as possble in great detail or maybe a step by step process, it would mean everything to me. Thank you in advance.

Not sure why it logged me in Atlanta, GA, but I'm actually in San Diego.

Mary in Lansing, Michigan

13 months ago

As a young college student looking for work with little to no avail, i received a text thru a friend of mine about this great opportunity working as a CSR answering questions and working with customers. I had never heard of the company before and so I thought i would give it a shot. When i went in for the interview it all seemed ligit. As i started training i realized this was going to be more difficult than i thought. I have done many appt but only made one sale. Most of my customers aka family and friends itterate to me that they dont have the money to spend on knives because they have more important things to purchase for their families. When i told my boss this i was told to quit making excuses for my customers and sell the product. Now, the only reason i was able to get these appts was because i was told to tell them that they didnt have to buy anything because i get paid just to do the demo, but yet i get pretty much yelld at for not selling. Ive almost put myself into some dangerous health places for this job, with no understanding from my managers. I am now looking again for work with a few possiblities of great jobs.
This job is great if you know people with hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on these products, but for someone like me who the only people i know servive on food stamps and ssi/ssd this is not the right place. and i hate the way i end up making people feel about the need to have them buy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

samiam in Ottawa, Ontario

13 months ago

WATCH OUT FOR THIS PLACE ITS TERRIBLE!!!!

I have worked for Vector marketing for over a year now and i did really well my first few months at this job. they then decided to promote me to a manager position and made me deposit $500. This place is good but if you want to make alot of money it might be in your best interest to avoid it! they have alot of conferences one every month or so and you have to pay for them they are average $150. TOTAL RIP OFFFF!!!! also they say that if you recommend your friend to this job they will pay you for your friends sales (2%) well i recommended my friend and now i dont get payed on their sales. also they say that they have a guaranteed pay but really its only a scam and a way they make you work for them. if you have over 10 or so no sales they wont pay you for all the no sales.

I did enjoy working there while i was there but i would never go back!!!! im not saying this because i wasnt successful at the job. I did very will more then most people would. I just think you loose more money over time then make money which is why i decided to leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phil Rozzi in Wadsworth, Ohio

6 months ago

crootworld@aol.com in Lake Worth, Florida said:

I also applied to vector marketing. I sat through the interview, got hired, bought my salesman demo knife set and never showed up again or called them back. Got a pretty darn good deal on knives and that's all I wanted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Kennesaw, Georgia

5 months ago

Just applied and got a call five min later. Seemed crazy for a sunday. Girl wanted me to come in right that instant. Seemed even crazier. Then adv she could "fit me in" at 7:15 tonight. Sunday night interview? and she said "The manager is hiring day by day" Then I found this page. I will not be attending that "interview"

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.