How to get a job at Vector Marketing.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Host

Do you work at Vector Marketing? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Sam I am in Champaign, Illinois

89 months ago

you just call up the add in the newspaper that says

COLLEGE STUDENTS
Earn $15 per hour
Call (###) ###-####

and they'll set you up with an interview later that day.

Go to the interview, act excited about the job, and they'll hire you.

Getting a job with vector is easier than selling someone a knife.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

New Commer in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

Getting hired at vector is easier than getting some one to buy a single item.Thats really true because if you sell though you get commission the vector people become much richer because you have been able to get custtomers to them.Other customers may know the product through your customer however they may not mention your name as the root contact so you may not get paid and vector enjoys all the benefit.
I mean its just good for students on vacation.If you wanna do it as your job then you need really big luck.They show a lot of communication tatics but man that cannot turn a guy who is not intrested to buy a knive or spoon even if you sell it for a single buck.You will need luck to bump into someone who is actually in need of one ,may be not to use now but for the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nik hunter in San Diego, California

87 months ago

I am finishing my PHD in economics at univ of california and gave up a $50 per hour job to try the cu*co jobr. 2 summers later, ive moved up to a sales manager. A scam? THe products have been around since 49 and weve been marketing them this way since 81. GOne from 750000 in sales in 1981 to 2000000 million. Our new reps need not buy the set for 145.46, they can borrow it, but they have to give a security deposit. THe set is worth over $500. Thats a 70 percent discount on buying or borrowing. Does anyone believe the profit margins are so high that , that they make money when reps buy a product at 70 % discount. Many of the reps return the sample kit for a full refund. NO scam there. What company wouldnt require a deposit on 500 worth of product. Ours is cool enought to only require a deposit of 30% of its value. As a teacher at UCSB in economics, i cant think of a better job where reps make as much in a week what they would in other jobs in a month. THere is a catch though, you have to get referrals to keep working. So what? THis is a good skill to learn in future business endeavors, and people will give them to you. THe people who think this job stinks are the ones who end up doing mindless work at resteraunts or valeting cars ( i did both of these in college). I have lots of reps in the office who work 20 hours a week and make $500 to $2000 per week. THe key is, learn how to get referrals and stick around long enough for the commission levels to move up beyond 20%. At the very worse, one makes 17.25 per appointmnet (we call this welfare). Having alot of expereince dealing with 18 year olds in my classes, the ones that complain about thier grade at the end of the semster are the same ones in vector who fail. THey blame everyone else but themselves, and could not handle the fact that they didnt have to show up to class, nor show up to team meetings, nor do any demos at all. Selling cutco is the best job a studnent could have

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

Betelhem in Brea, California

48 months ago

hi manot work vctor market

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

hoser in Berkeley, California

48 months ago

Vector Marketing = Brainwashing Scam

I mean really, who is going to buy a single Cutco Knife from you for over $100?

Keep dreaming!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

charles44 in Porterville, California

48 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Vector Marketing? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Here is some info for there wedsite: Vector Marketing CorporationTM and Vector Marketing Canada are direct sales firms that market Cutco Cutlery®, a line of kitchen cutlery, accessories and sporting knives of the highest quality. With its administrative headquarters in Olean, NY, Vector Marketing is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cutco Corporation, which has been manufacturing Cutco Cutlery since 1949.

Handcrafted in the United States of the finest materials, Cutco products have a Forever Guarantee that protects the consumer's investment. As the sole distributor of Cutco, Vector Marketing has offices across the United States and Canada. Vector Marketing Corporation belongs to the Direct Selling Association, whose members are leading companies engaged in direct selling in the United States. All DSA members adhere to a strict CODE OF ETHICS and promote a high standard of integrity in our industry.
Vector Marketing's annual sales are in excess $200 million dollars; a compelling testament to the fundamentals of our business: People, Products, and Programs. Currently, there are more than 200 Vector offices in the U.S. and Canada.

Although Vector Marketing is divided up into 6 "regions" (Northeast, Midwest, Eastern, Central, Southwest,Western ) and Canada for management and administrative purposes, representatives are not confined by any pre-set territories and are free to market the product anywhere in the country.
What are Recruiters Looking For?

Corporate recruiters may be looking for different skills and abilities depending on the industry, but the good news is there are some skills everyone is looking for in new hires. Even better, these are skills that you can develop without any special classes or instruction. In fact, these skills can only be gained through experience.

Commonly known

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

phil w in San Leandro, California said: basically they hire everyone because everyone hired is money for them - you have to buy their knives as part of your presentation package - they make money off of you

Yes, door to door sales Suck try selling $1500.00 Kirby Vac Cleaner
it just as bad!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

The ponit is that why would i want to buy is when it cost far less in a store and far less of a headace. and door to door sales is far and above one of the most dishonest industries around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous Fazoli's Interviewer in Dayton, Ohio

42 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Vector Marketing? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I would not recommend this job to anyone, It's a complete scam, the only comments that say it's a great company is people who work for vector and are a part of the scam!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tasha

41 months ago

I would also like to jump into the vector marketing jobs, i have worked with them in the past as a receptionist and i know a ton about the company. Yet i cant seam to find a vector near me that needs a receptionist. I am really wanting to work for them again.
I would love if you know someone from vector marketing who needs a receptionist, to have them e-mail me at olsontasha@rocketmail.com

I can work anytime, and i have a car with insurance as well as my licence.
I look forward to hearing from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya in Boston, Massachusetts

40 months ago

Tasha said: I would also like to jump into the vector marketing jobs, i have worked with them in the past as a receptionist and i know a ton about the company. Yet i cant seam to find a vector near me that needs a receptionist. I am really wanting to work for them again.
I would love if you know someone from vector marketing who needs a receptionist, to have them e-mail me at olsontasha@rocketmail.com

I can work anytime, and i have a car with insurance as well as my licence.
I look forward to hearing from you.

I'm hearing a lot of negative feedback from Vector and I got "hired" today (05/19/011) . Imagine that, I got hired right after my interview :-/ I have training next week (may 26-28) and I'm not sure if I should attend after hearing all the negative feedback. I will call them tomorrow to let them know about my decision and about the horrible comments people are making and how it's kinda making sense now.

Btw i'm 18 years old

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tasha in Yakima, Washington

40 months ago

Ok so are u a receptionist or sales....receptionist is a good job but sales is not so great...u can emlail me at olsontasha@rocketmail.com I can answer most questions.
Enjoy ur choice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AG in Chesapeake, Virginia

40 months ago

Sara Ray in New York said: For applying job you required resumes. The following website provides best sample marketing resumes. You can refer that resumes for creating your resume.
www.marketingresumes.org/

they said they needed a resume, but there are ppl show up without them, when i turned in mine, they barely look at them and she even made the comment about most employers don't look at them...

Anyhow, I got through the interview and I was invited to their full training seminar, however, they didn't say anything about if i was hired or not, they just said"I'll now welcome you to the training seminar"

I went through my first training seminar today and my first assignment is to go home and write down names, I feel really shaky about. I actually didn't know that my cousin did this when he was in college, that was many years ago. For him, he had to buy knives himself and sold like the first set to his mom, but that was the end for him. Later when they sold the house, the just gave away those knives.
I did some research myself and found out that this job requires you to go sell knives to ppl you know and it is commission based, they didn't said that though. The are no time set up for questioning on the first day of training. There are many questions i want to ask but didn't have the chance to do so. That's why i took the time tonight to research about. I don't think I want to go back tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mmm in Mount Ephraim, New Jersey

39 months ago

Sam I am in Champaign, Illinois said: you just call up the add in the newspaper that says

COLLEGE STUDENTS
Earn $15 per hour
Call (###) ###-##
and they'll set you up with an interview later that day.

Go to the interview, act excited about the job, and they'll
Getting a job with vector is easier than selling someone a knife.

You don't even have to that everyone gets hired t that job I used to work there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BeenThereDoneThat in Lynnwood, Washington

39 months ago

AG in Chesapeake, Virginia said:
I went through my first training seminar today and my first assignment is to go home and write down names, I feel really shaky about.

C'mon folks, use your heads! Don't you think if they give a job to anyone who shows up, the job is worth nothing? This outfit is harvesting leads. Everyone who comes in brings leads, a small percentage of of the pigeons make a sale or two. It's a numbers game. A very small percentage are shrewd enough to catch on to the game and join in the con. That's the only way you're going to make money in this sort of outfit - join in on the con and bilk the next crop of pigeons that come in. If you really want to make money that way, move to Nigeria or Romania and get in on the internet scams. It's easier and pays better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BeenThereDoneThat in Lynnwood, Washington

39 months ago

nik hunter in San Diego, California said: I am finishing my PHD in economics at univ of california and gave up a $50 per hour job to try the cu*co jobr...
Our new reps need not buy the set for 145.46, they can borrow it, but they have to give a security deposit. THe set is worth over $500....
Thats a 70 percent discount on buying or borrowing. Does anyone believe the profit margins are so high that , that they make money when reps buy a product at 70 % discount.
As a teacher at UCSB in economics, i cant think of a better job where reps make as much in a week what they would in other jobs in a month. ...
I have lots of reps in the office who work 20 hours a week and make $500 to $2000 per week.. QUOTE]
1. Do PhD candidates need to be able to spell or use proper English?
2. As an economist, you should know that a product is not worth what the seller says it's worth, it's worth what the buyer pays for it. Therefore, the knives are not worth $500. They are worth $145.46 (or less).
3. As a teacher you have a fertile hunting grounds don't you? You don't sell knives, you exploit naive kids.
4. You gave up a $50/hour job for a *slim* chance to make $500 to $2000 in a good week? Check your math.
You lack credibility, nik hunter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jodie in Sayville, New York

32 months ago

charles44 in Porterville, California said: Yes, door to door sales Suck try selling $1500.00 Kirby Vac Cleaner
it just as bad!

Actually, Vector does not allow door to door. Everything is through recommendation, we are not allowed to use the white/yellow pages or call random strangers, or walk around knocking on everyone's doors. At each appointment, we ask for a minimun number of ten references, and remind them we get paid regardless of sales

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.