vector marketing scam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 55)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Tonya in Boston, Massachusetts

80 months ago

JettingtoMars in US, Virgin Islands said: are people this desperate for a job? well i shouldnt even say a job because you wont even get paid, but man. There are real jobs out there people! Stop reaching thru desperation!

lol I won't be taking the job with them anymore. I spoke to my family (although i was humiliated because I thought it was a legit job, until I sae these comments and I started to research) so now I'm jobless, but hey, at least I'm not being scammed.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Cyndele in Pocatello, Idaho

79 months ago

Ok I had doubts about how easy it was to get this job so on a whim I googled it and to my surprise I found this site. Thank god!!! I have been an independent contractor before the job sounds amazing when you first look at it but when it comes right down to it you pay alot just to keep the job. I live in a very small town so I know for a fact that I couldn't make enough to even stay in the green. The girl that has won trips and things live or at least goes to school in an area with a very high population! So I can see how she can have the amazing amount of customers that she has. All in all if you think that you can do it do it but if you are like me you would be smart to stay away from companies that feel the need to make money off their employees!

Reply - Report abuse

lilbutterfly in Indio, California

78 months ago

I saw a few people that say they had to pay for their kit, well I didn't have to pay a dime for mine, I just have to return it when I'm not working. They said I could buy it if I wanted to for around $90 which is a lot cheaper than in the catalog.

Idk if its actually a scam but I get working experience, and something is better than nothing. So far its seems legit enough... It is hard though to get appointments if you don't know many people. Its even harder to sell if everyone you know is poor. But I'm gonna give it a real try. Maybe I'll get some good leads.

Reply - Report abuse

mrs.b0sslady_92 in Lakewood, Washington

66 months ago

Meagan in Palmdale, California said: Proem, Vector is not a scam...but its not a job that everybody can do! They don't ask for any money that isn't refundable! You can "borrow" your sample set with a security deposit and if for some reason things don't work out for you, you get the entire security deposit back. They make sure you get paid for the work you do whether you succeed in selling or not. You're guaranteed a base pay per appointment you go to and you get a certain amount of commission for what you do sell. But if your base pay per appointment is higher than the commission then you get the base pay, and vice verse. There's nothing "scammy" about it. The people who complain are just people that didnt work for the benefits that are advertised and now are upset and whining because money wasn't handed to them.

I honeslt think that it IS a SCAM! because i just started there, and i have been in training and we finally got our kit to show off to customers (it was a free smalll kit) Kay! anddd they told us in training classes to NOT pressure customers into buying the products, and i have been having presentations and no one bought a single thing. I told my manager (Dylan Peterson) that i had no sales yet within the two days i started doing demo's and he said the main reason why someone isnt selling is
1.) Not following the manual (WHICH I DID)
2.) Not going to HM3's ( Home, Married, and in there 30's) (WHICH I DID)
3.) Not being confident(I WAS)
they tell us not to pressure customers to buy it, but there pressuring us to sell it. They told us from the beginging that they have a generated list for us for people who run out of people to contact and so i notified them saying i have no one else at the moment and asked for a list of theres and they said they dont have one. They said they would pay us either back up pay (WHICH IS $13.25, or commision WHICH EVER IS THE HIGHER PAY) They told us "OH its okay if you dont sell anything"

Reply - Report abuse

David in Lockport, New York

65 months ago

I will say this. I interviewed with Vector twice. First time I didn't get the second interview. Then they called me again with recommendation from my friend, but I declined the interview. The third time with recommendation from the same friend, I agreed to the interview. I went through the first interview and immediately went to the second. I was given the job, but I had class.

I called the next day, which was the day before training, to see if I could delay training for 2 weeks. For a company that claims to be flexible they weren't. The only options I were given was for that current week or next week, neither of which would fit into my schedule. I tried to see whether I could do it during the current week, but looking at the bus schedule, I would have to leave 1.5 hours before training finished. I called after class, and left a voice mail declining the position proceeding to explain why, and stated maybe sometime in the future when my schedule wasn't as complicated I could work for them.

What annoys me is, they called the next morning, the day of the training saying they could let me leave a hour early. I didn't actually listen to the message until after the fact, I had activities all day and class that night. When I called again to decline the position, the assistant manager I talked to seemed annoyed with the fact I called. And just to add this, it has turned my own friend against me. The fact they called after I declined and I saw no reason to call back, especially after missing training day 1, led to a huge fight between myself and her. I wouldn't have any more interactions with them, so I didn't care whether I would look like an "ass" to them.

What astounds me is they have brainwashed her into thinking that my actions would reflect upon her. They don't. Vector is similar to a puppy mill of college students, taking in and turning them out as quickly as possible.

Reply - Report abuse

Cat in Gastonia, North Carolina

64 months ago

If this company was a scam, how would it survive 64 years? And how would Cutco, the products they represent, still be in business? Just because you didn't get hired doesn't mean you should go around putting negative things online. I've worked here for over a year and a half and I've loved every day of it. If its a scam just look at my bank account.

Reply - Report abuse

Shinike in Omaha, Nebraska

64 months ago

Vector is no better than other companies such as Primerica, Amway and numerous other companies that require you to pay up front & force their products on families & friends without informing them of what you are selling. If the company was ethical, you should be proud enough to tell people who you work for. I don't care how good their knives are, if you can't be upfront about who you work for or what you are selling, then you aren't working for a legitimate company. It may not be illegal, but definately unethical. Yes, my daughter was approached by them last year & her brother was approached by them this week. He just got out from giving everything he had to the navy for the last 5+ years and was looking for a real job that had a reliable income & had a flexible schedule to accomodate his going to school so he can help take care of 2 disabled parents. There are plenty of legitimate jobs out there that can supply that opportunity. Luckily he doesn't have the money for the deposit on the knives so he can't sign up with this questionable and unethical company. Yes, it might work for a very few people but I bet the turn over rate in this company is over 75%. Beware, if you are sucked in by them,you are an independent contractor which means there's no unemployment insurance, no workman's compensation so if you cut yourself with one of their knives your medical isn't covered, you get no medical insurance from them and because you are an independent contractor you aren't eligible for low income medicaid or low income insurance from the state you live in and you will be paying a large tax to the federal government if you don't have insurance. Also be aware of what you are signing away if you sign their contract and understand that you will be responsible for all your expenses.

Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

Cat in Gastonia, North Carolina said: If this company was a scam, how would it survive 64 years? And how would Cutco, the products they represent, still be in business ? Just because you didn't get hired doesn't mean you should go around putting negative things online. I've worked here for over a year and a half and I've loved every day of it. If its a scam just look at my bank account .

Because no one caught on to you scumbags yet.

Reply - Report abuse

Three Years of Frustration and Rejection in Brooklyn, New York

60 months ago

Don't ever get involved with Vector. I was interviewed back when I was fresh out of high school and got the 'job'. Turned out to be a bunch of BS.

Reply - Report abuse

bluebell_rose in Richmond, British Columbia

58 months ago

;) you be better off working at wal-mart then at vector. At least you get a guranteed amount of hours depending on your availability

Reply - Report abuse

newmexico in New Mexico

56 months ago

I was recetnly hired on at vector marketing as a receptionist... I have heard both negative and positive things about this company, How ever I decided that I was going to check things out for my self because what works for one person may not work for another right? well after getting through the interview process and being hired I was still keeping my wits about me and making sure that I question what Im being told so I have my facts strait and there can be no chance of any miscommunication. The first day was fine and I was actually looking forward to the next day at work, Almost instantly after starting my second day of training the stituation just didnt feel the same and I didnt have the excited feeling I had after leaving my first day I brushed it off and went on with the day but things didnt change and I felt the need to double check the answer I was given to a question the day before... I asked a simple question about pay and over time etc... Well when I asked my question the response I was given stoped me dead in my tracks, to sum it up in my managers words " hes the f*****g boss and he makes the rules besides whos going to report him for any pay discrepancies" WOW I couldnt beleive that and he openly admitted hes fully aware of state laws regarding paying over time and allowing employees breaks how ever he doesnt give a s**t just as long as the phones are being answered and hes getting business in the door!! I was hired as a receptionist NOT a sales person and I am paid hourly NOT on commision!! so I expect to get paid my for ALL my time put in at the office and now im being told I get my hourly pay up to my promised hours per week but nothing after that so I am expected to work for free every hour after that!! BS that is HIGHLY ILLEGAL!! At this point I have to cut my losses and start over in my search for a REAL job!! To any one else who is considering taking a job with vector marketing DONT DO IT!! WASTE OF TIME!!! BAD INVESTMENT!! LIES!! JERKS!!

Reply - Report abuse

newmexico in New Mexico

56 months ago

The product Cutco is great dont get me wrong my husband and I own it and love it!! I have nothing bad to say about the product... how ever the management in ANY DISTRICT selling this company to young college and high school grads are full of them selves!! they talk it up and right off the bat the advise you to ignore any and all negative imput regarding this company they also insist that they dont get involved in these discusion forums its a waste of time. LOL yeah ok how many of the comments on here are coming from a cutco rep!? just goes to show you that if an overwhelming amount of people are saying nearly the same damn thing then there might actually be some truth behind these comments hmmm? to any one else out there that is suffering in this economy right now and is in desperate need of a job I urge you to STOP TAKE A BREATH and just know there is ALWAYS something better out there!! it takes common sense to realize what a joke these people are!!

Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Lynchburg, Virginia

55 months ago

I currently work as a receptionist for vector and I absolutely love it! Yes, it can be deceiving if you don't take the time to research our company. Our website CLEARLY states what our representatives do. As for requiring a deposit, that is no longer true. Vector willingly loans you the kit and guess what, people have actually ripped them off by stealing it and not coming back. The money from that kit then comes out of Vector's pocket. The representatives at our office have been extremely successful and love their job. This job helps you develop business skills and leadership skills. Also, my manager is absolutely wonderful. He encourages the receptionists and even pays them extra if they are able to bring people to the team. My first paycheck was exactly what it was supposed to be. Yes, there are some branches out there who did not do what they were supposed to and some managers who weren't the best. But those branches have been dealt with in a proper manner. I am so thankful I have had the opportunity to be a part of the Vector team. To anyone who has an interview but is worried about all these negative comments, don't listen to them. Go to the interview and see for yourself. Because I have seen firsthand how successful people are and how much they love their job.

Reply - Report abuse

Norman2468 in Proctorville, Ohio

54 months ago

I was told that you do not have to have a drivers lisence, is that correct? I was told that you could work from home and do vertial demos, is this true? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Monterey, CA in Salinas, California

54 months ago

Hey guys! I'm confused and puzzled, so I need your guys help. About a week ago, I received a mail from Vector and it looked like a great opportunity, but didn't want to call without knowing all the details. I read about the vector scam, and an abudance of negative/positive experiences which puts me in the middle on not knowing what to do. If anyone on here could reply as soon as possble in great detail or maybe a step by step process, it would mean everything to me. Thank you in advance.

Reply - Report abuse

Robert J Smith in Montréal, Quebec

54 months ago

Hi, yesterday, as my parents harased me to get a summer job, I searched and found this «FANTASTIC OPPORTUNITY!», the form was easy to fill, they said they would contact me to set an interview date, it was TOO easy, then I realized their site didnt say anything about what the job was, how much was it paid or where it took place.
After googling CUTCO and VECTOR MARKETING I found tons of negative comments. Since I MUST take a job, i'll try, if it becomes strange, or if i gotta pay anything, i'll just leave. I got an interview tomorow at 10h, i'll post here step by step the beginning of my «career» with Vector Marketing.

Reply - Report abuse

Robert J Smith in Montréal, Quebec

54 months ago

So, I went to the interview. It looked really unproffessional, the office was at the second floor of a residential building and the guy who gave the interview looked damn boooored. He told me just the load of crap I was expecting, getting paid even if i didnt sell was his major point (selling 900$ knives aint easy :) but i learned on youtube the they WERE expectig me to sell, or they were gonna harrass me till i did. The part where I stopped listening was when he told me that I had to BUY the sample to show to the costumers (many people had told me that i was gonna lose more than i won with vector marketing, now i understand how). No way im working for them, they may not be a scam, but i aint got time to lose, summer is advancing and i need a REAL job, DONT WORK FOR THEM!, They encourage (harrass) their employes to alienate their friends and family to buy their damn knives.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNqCSdjI9s

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Robert J Smith in Montréal, Quebec said: So, I went to the interview. It looked really unproffessional, the office was at the second floor of a residential building and the guy who gave the interview looked damn boooored. He told me just the load of crap I was expecting, getting paid even if i didnt sell was his major point (selling 900$ knives aint easy :) but i learned on youtube the they WERE expectig me to sell, or they were gonna harrass me till i did. The part where I stopped listening was when he told me that I had to BUY the sample to show to the costumers (many people had told me that i was gonna lose more than i won with vector marketing, now i understand how). No way im working for them, they may not be a scam, but i aint got time to lose, summer is advancing and i need a REAL job, DONT WORK FOR THEM!, They encourage (harrass) their employes to alienate their friends and family to buy their damn knives.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNqCSdjI9s

Hey Robert,
I'm not sure why they said you had to pay for the sample kit because I know that isn't true for any of the offices around where I work. Also, they don't harass anyone, that youtube video is 3 years old. And the knives pretty much do sell themselves.

Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Sean in Monterey, CA in Salinas, California said: Hey guys! I'm confused and puzzled, so I need your guys help. About a week ago, I received a mail from Vector and it looked like a great opportunity, but didn't want to call without knowing all the details. I read about the vector scam, and an abudance of negative/positive experiences which puts me in the middle on not knowing what to do. If anyone on here could reply as soon as possble in great detail or maybe a step by step process, it would mean everything to me. Thank you in advance.

Sean, I would definitely recommend going to the interview. Most of the negative comments are from 2011 and older when you still had to pay for the sample kit. But that is no longer the case. Vector is a really great opportunity and I would definitely suggest giving it a try.

Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Charlottesville, Virginia

54 months ago

Hey peeps, i had an interview with Vector on Monday and it was professional for me. I got thru the 1st stage and sent to the back for the group interview and afterwards the 5 of us that started was down to 3 approved and i am going to train on Thursday, 20th. Ive heard so much neagatives about this company and a whole lot of stuff from my parents, but im going to go and see how it works out. Im not paying any money on anything, or wasting more than 2 weeks on this thing. If it works out, GREAT! If not, well i scewed myself then, oh well. :(

Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Bridgeport, Ohio

54 months ago

Not to argue folks, but they most certainly do try to charge you for the starter kit. My son was in day one of his training and walked out when they mentioned it. He is smart enough to know that no legitimate job charges you to work for them. I trained the boy well. Vector should be ashamed of how it targets college students and desperate people.

Reply - Report abuse

Nayo in Saint Paul, Minnesota

54 months ago

Well, I talked to my boss (I'm currently a contracter for Vector). I asked him about all the negetive stuff online about Vector. He said there are branches with lousy managers. These lousy managers are desperate for their branch to be competitive with branches like mine in Minneapolis. All of my managers are fantastic, kind, helpful, and supportive. Vector pays you per appointment. You can rack up 360 a week with 20 appointments in a 16 per appt set up. There are no tricks to selling cutco, it sells itself. There's no "slack/tighten trick".

Everyone who went to the interview was looked at to see if they COULD sell anything. It's like a fundraiser except the system is much stronger. Keep in mind, everyone is their own boss. Everyone picks their appointments (how many, what time, where, etc).

I wasn't charged for my demo kit. They simply judged my character to see if I might be a person to run off with their product.

If anyone has had bad experiences, blame that branch, not Vector or Cutco. I've had nothing but good experiences with them, despite reading this thread before I went to training. Yes, training is unpaid, but they also weed people out in training and training is extensive since they want you to know what you're doing out there.

Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Bridgeport, Ohio

54 months ago

Nayo in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Well, I talked to my boss (I'm currently a contracter for Vector). I asked him about all the negetive stuff online about Vector. He said there are branches with lousy managers. These lousy managers are desperate for their branch to be competitive with branches like mine in Minneapolis. All of my managers are fantastic, kind, helpful, and supportive. Vector pays you per appointment. You can rack up 360 a week with 20 appointments in a 16 per appt set up. There are no tricks to selling cutco, it sells itself. There's no "slack/tighten trick".

Everyone who went to the interview was looked at to see if they COULD sell anything. It's like a fundraiser except the system is much stronger. Keep in mind, everyone is their own boss. Everyone picks their appointments (how many, what time, where, etc).

I wasn't charged for my demo kit. They simply judged my character to see if I might be a person to run off with their product.

If anyone has had bad experiences, blame that branch, not Vector or Cutco. I've had nothing but good experiences with them, despite reading this thread before I went to training. Yes, training is unpaid, but they also weed people out in training and training is extensive since they want you to know what you're doing out there.

Well, there must have been about 30 people in that room, all with bad character, because they were all asked to pay for their "demo kit."
But good luck to you. And I hope you got bonused for posting something nice on this thread.

Reply - Report abuse

Flightless in Charles Town, West Virginia

54 months ago

Evan123 in La Crosse, Wisconsin said: My most recent checks (weekly, mind you) have been upwards of $300, and the people skills I have gained are priceless.

Evan, you posted twice, and said you only made $200 in you first post. If that is true, then you make a whopping $800 a month. That amount pays my rent. Still need money for electric, water bills. Food. Your boss is only 21? I assure you he doesn't have any work experience worth referencing. Your entire post smells fishy and fake, not to mention that the in accurate up selling double posting amplifies the fake ness.

JOB SEEKERS BE WEARY!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Teh in San Juan, Puerto Rico

54 months ago

Well i was exited when they called me for a job interview, i was unemployeed for 10 months until 2 days ago, so i went to the location and waited to the boss but he was giving a Training to the first group, we were 12 waiting in the lobby and when he finished he said ok since we are a lot and is a little late i am going to take 2 by 2 to advance more so he called my name and a guy i entered the room he asked me where did i heard about the company i told him i saw it online then he asked from a scale of 1 to 10 how much would i rate my communication i said like a 6 because i was a little shy and then he told me to pass to the training room so i could see what it was about so i pass to the room and waited until all the 12 people of the lobby got in they show us the kit they use to sell the people like if he was selling us the products it was nice i got impress so when it finished he passed me and the guy who was with me at the first he said so how did you liked and i was impress pumped and said ok i would like to get the job and he told me and the guy that we were hired. 2. day i got up at 6am because i needed to go to the place to take 2 trainings since i missed the first day training because i was getting interview so i went there from 9am until 7pm (whole day) so they show us how we would do our job and we cutted some fruits and eat them at the end i was convinced at the job since they said i need to make a relationship with the person before starting the sale in other words making the person conftable to sell the the knifes by the way they said we are not a company that make people buy the stuff but actually you are trying to make the people buy atleast 1 item in a nice way (Still trying to make them buy it) but if you dont do a sale is ok you still get paid, i got to my house and tough of it the whole day so i went the day 3 the final day and i wanted to see if there was a better option and there is where you sign a contract and they give you the instructions and

Reply - Report abuse

Teh in San Juan, Puerto Rico

54 months ago

and give you the kit. i got out and i got home right now from my last day saying that i am quitting it when i get to monday because first is not a fit job for me second they dont give you the paper if a person didnt brought you something (they want you to sell items no matter what) and third *people actually get disturbed by going to their houses to sell them things and specially knifes* if you say is a pretty cheap price would be good but the knifes cost from $80 or 100 bucks until 1079 a set…
you dont have to pay it straightly but still…
what i could say about the people who wants to try this out is to know this…

- They going to tell you start with your family and ask your family to give you contacts to call them and make an appointment since you cant sell this to strangers.
- Do you really would like to go to your friends and family selling Expensive Knifes?
- Would you like to disturb people to tell them to take a time to attend you *45 minutes a presentation*
- They tell you to have fun at the jobs and interview but you really wont have fun.
- You have to learn pages from 9 to 10 to say exactly what the book says and then learn page 21 (all those pages from memory and say it exactly)
- They give you a 42 Pages book so you can read the book to the people who you will sell the products but you need to learn it from memory.
- You need to sell products Yes or Yes (Sadly)

So i would say dont try this out go and find a better job, they get Students and Young people mostly because they want them to get experience for another job in the future but is not a motivating job neither… So i say dont try it out get a good job or wait for a good opportunity…

I am writting this my 3 day of the Training (a.k.a Final Day)
June/22/2012 at 6:30PM

Reply - Report abuse

Demian Scopp in New York, New York

54 months ago

Sandy in Bridgeport, Ohio said: Not to argue folks, but they most certainly do try to charge you for the starter kit. My son was in day one of his training and walked out when they mentioned it. He is smart enough to know that no legitimate job charges you to work for them. I trained the boy well. Vector should be ashamed of how it targets college students and desperate people.

I work for the corporate side of vector and I can assure you the kit is now loaned for free. Your son misunderstood .
Please feel free to contact vectorpr@cutco.com for legal verification that I can email you
Demian

Reply - Report abuse

An Actual employee in Duluth, Georgia

44 months ago

I've worked for vector marketing 2008 to 2012 and this is definitely a legit business. Back in 2007 they stopped making it necessary for employees to pay a deposit for the equipment before selling in (which was $150 for a $650 set which was refunded when equipment was returned) because they do specialize in employing students and realized this may be a bit strenuous on them. What people do not realize is just like any other "sales and customer service" position you have to be a people person and you need to be able to sell the products they offer (otherwise why are you applying for the position). I enjoy selling and promoting products and have made very good money in my college years with this company. If you read most of the bad reviews all stories stem from people who've "heard" about or "Knew someone who "used" to work for Vector years ago. There have been major changes and upgrades within this company since 2007.It's just unfortunate that its not being noticed because of word of mouth bad reviews.

Reply - Report abuse

Undupable in Sewell, New Jersey

44 months ago

Vector Marketing is a scam, plain and simple. They employ more Online Reputation Managers (AKA those who refute negative reviews) than anything else. The reason Cutco had stayed in business for so long is because there are millions of gullible people that are easily taken advantage of. Their business model is in recruiting. The more you recruit, the more people sell their knives. You are not an employee of Vector, you are their commodity.

Reply - Report abuse

Nicki Lewinski in Toledo, Ohio

43 months ago

Not a scam per se. I was a receptionist for 2 months and quit
because I went off about my check bouncing. They say no door to door and such because they ask you to go through you contact and sell to them and then give them all your friends names and facebook so that receptionist can call them and offer them a interview, and the cycle will repeat if they come in and accept the job. Most of the managers have no business ethics or educational degrees or certificates in such. If you don't mind using your own computer and cell when the phone is cut off... Have at it! But my advice is work until you find something that pays "receptionist"/"telemarketers" more, guarantees hours even if they don't like you, and offers benefits in the future (medical,dental, 401k). But Take it til you find better, I did!

Reply - Report abuse

Hellafine in Toledo, Ohio

43 months ago

Exactly the management is crazy they don't want receptionist paid for the exact time the stop working, you can sign out(since they don't use machines) and be told ANSWER THAT PHONE, in a snotty tone. Don't nobody work for free, they need help.

Reply - Report abuse

Nicki Lewinski in Toledo, Ohio

43 months ago

Lauren in Lynchburg, Virginia said: I currently work as a receptionist for vector and I absolutely love it! Yes, it can be deceiving if you don't take the time to research our company. Our website CLEARLY states what our representatives do. As for requiring a deposit, that is no longer true. Vector willingly loans you the kit and guess what, people have actually ripped them off by stealing it and not coming back. The money from that kit then comes out of Vector's pocket. The representatives at our office have been extremely successful and love their job. This job helps you develop business skills and leadership skills. Also, my manager is absolutely wonderful. He encourages the receptionists and even pays them extra if they are able to bring people to the team. My first paycheck was exactly what it was supposed to be. Yes, there are some branches out there who did not do what they were supposed to and some managers who weren't the best. But those branches have been dealt with in a proper manner. I am so thankful I have had the opportunity to be a part of the Vector team. To anyone who has an interview but is worried about all these negative comments, don't listen to them. Go to the interview and see for yourself. Because I have seen firsthand how successful people are and how much they love their job.

You are selling people are crock of bull. As a former receptionist we have little interaction with the sales especially the new ones and are not told of their stats, we don't even train with them or go to the same conferences. We even work in different rooms, they don't even know which receptionist will be calling their friends and we don't even know them that well to be pretending to. You need to get a real career and stop thinking you'll climb the non existent receptionist ladder. If that's even your title.

Reply - Report abuse

KevinKRH in Acworth, Georgia

43 months ago

Here's my real experience with Vector Marketing after the first 3 days.

whocares1996.wordpress.com/2014/06/01/vector-marketing/

Reply - Report abuse

Nsanc7696 in San Antonio, Texas

42 months ago

I find it interesting that even in different states students or people explaining their experience with this company all have or shared something in common. I personally thought that if I was really getting paid that much that it wouldn't hurt to apply after I applied 10 minutes later a receptionist called me to schedule and interview that same day ( two hours later) which I thought was already a little odd. She explained to me that I would be answering phone calls and dealing with customers which was fine with me but once I got there it was a different story "I" was actually applying to be a sales rep . The manager didn't even really ask a lot about me and after the company presentation he hired me on the spot. I later told my parents about the company and they thought it was sketchy that there was unpaid training but , decided to support me anyways. First day of training came along and we had to sit in fold in chairs for about six hours with one 7 minute break and no lunch as more information was given the more I began to have my doubts since things began to change like the pay wasn't hourly it became per appointment and things such as paying for and doing everything yourself and decided maybe this isn't for me as I kept making research I found a bunch of comments relating to what happened to me or much worse and decided to not return since I called they kept asking why I wouldn't return? I couldn't find better experience . And kept calling me which I just ignored.

Reply - Report abuse

Kyren in Ontario

41 months ago

“Quantity over quality” – Vector Marketing on demos… and apparently when hiring

Want to know what it’s really like? Read on. I’ll try to keep this concise. I’m an undergraduate student who is desperate for a job to pay for tuition. I looked up some job postings on Kijiji, and saw one that said there were 3 spots available for a position as a receptionist at an office near my home. The job details were as vague as it could get. No company name was mentioned. The job description mentioned that you had to make 50-100 calls a day, the hours were very flexible, and the pay was $15.95 per hour. To apply, you had to call and leave a message, so I did.

The next day I received a call from VECTOR MARKETING. The lady that spoke to me was obviously reading a script. She told me that the job involved selling products from CUTCO and the $15.95 was actually a base pay (commissions were a bonus). I was invited for a 10-15 minute interview and if they liked me I would be invited to a second one that would last 45-60 minutes.

Reply - Report abuse

Kyren in Ontario

41 months ago

So I went to the interview. The office was a small suite with a couple smaller rooms. There were a bunch of trophies on a table, and Vector Marketing posters on the wall. There were 8 folding chairs, 2 others were already seated. 4 people showed up in total, including myself. Remember, the posting said there were 3 positions available. We were interviewed one at a time and basically they went through my resume and asked me why I wanted the job. I was invited to the second interview. The three other people were invited also. The second interview was actually a 60 minute presentation about the company. The assistant manager did it, and basically demonstrated the product. CUTCO really is a good brand of knives so we were amazed. The presentation made the job seem really easy and amazing – it drew us in. After that, we were called in one at a time and told if we got the job or not, based on our participation during the presentation. All four of us got it (Strange. I thought there were only 3 spots available…). We were invited to three days of training the following Thursday.

Reply - Report abuse

Kyren in Ontario

41 months ago

The training was 4, 6, and 5 hours each day. That’s 15 hours in total over three days, all unpaid. But hey, the presentation was amazing! It has to be worth it, right?! On the first day of training, there were about 10 people including myself. None of them were from my interview. No idea where they came from. Over the three days, he manager taught us a little bit about the company, its history, its founder, etc. We practiced reading scripts from the training manual. The entire demo is scripted (you simply read off your manual while doing demos), as well as the phone calls when making demonstrations. The phone call script does not mention that you work for Vector (probably because they don’t want your customers looking them up and finding all their negative reviews). There is a line that says something like, “I just started a great new job showing CUTCO.” On the third day, we had to give in a $113 deposit to receive our sample kits. Apparently the kit had a $500 value so why not?

Right after the third training session on Saturday, we were allowed to start doing demonstrations and booking appointments. I did 5 in my first weekend, I did make a few sales. It seemed alright.

Reply - Report abuse

Kyren in Ontario

41 months ago

Advanced Training began the very next Monday. It was about an hour long and we were taught some more selling strategies. It was really just another manual with even more scripts to answer every possible question asked by a customer… They all make you sound incredibly pushy even though in the phone call when you’re booking appointments, you tell them that they don’t have to buy anything because you get paid just to show it and you’re doing these demos “just for practice.”

I did this for about a week. Let me tell you why I began to hate it. They make the job sound incredibly easy. “You just have to read from your manual!” “We’ve been doing this for decades and 6/10 are sales!” “The average order is $350!” If you’ve looked into the product you’re selling, you’ll realize they aren’t just your typical set of knives. My family owns a complete set of knives we got from Costco for like $50. That’s like 1 Table Knife from CUTCO. Don’t get me wrong, CUTCO knives really are good, but each piece is like $100. The “most popular set” is over $1000. Unless you live in a filthy rich neighborhood, or get lucky, you’re not going to sell that much to 6 out of every 10 customers. Plus you start out by doing demos for your family and friends. Chances are, they’re only allowing you to do demos for them because they know you (they’re obviously not going to say “No you can’t come over to practice for your ‘great new job’”). But even then, it doesn’t matter if they love you, not everyone will cash out hundreds of dollars just like that.

Reply - Report abuse

Kyren in Ontario

41 months ago

After every single of our demos, we were required to call up our manager and tell him how it went. My first few were no-sales. The manager was supportive and said it’s okay because on average, 6/10 will be sales, so I got some of the no-sales out of the way. But, he kept pushing me to make more phone calls. Now here’s the worst part about my experience. Each and every morning between 8:30am and 9:30am, we were required to call the manager and tell him how many demos we did yesterday, how many were sales, and how many appointments we had for that day, even if it’s 0, 0, and 0. Don’t even try to NOT call. He’ll end up calling YOU and try to make you feel bad for forgetting and telling you not to forget tomorrow. Anyways, I had one of those 0/0/0 days because I had plans (but this should be fine right? We were told that our hours would be flexible and based on OUR schedules. If we choose to take a day off, we could!). Yet again, he kept pushing me to make more phone calls. Right after the morning call he would tell me to make some calls now and call him again in an hour to let him know if I booked any appointments. It was rather annoying.

When you get the job, they don’t tell you until the end of your training that you have to attend meetings twice a week. When you hear about these meetings and how they’re “fun”, they don’t tell you until you get there that they’re not even meetings at all. You all just sit around in the office and make more phone calls. They emphasize that for demos, it’s “quantity over quality.” I guess they could say the same for their hiring process. That right there says a LOT about this company.

Reply - Report abuse

Kyren in Ontario

41 months ago

Now let me tell you why I quit. As you can already probably tell, they’re very pushy when it comes to doing these demos. They’ll go as far as mass recruiting because more people = more demos = more sales = more money for them. On the third day of my training, we were asked to make a list of as many people as we could that might be interested in a job there. They even have an iPhone app JUST for recruiting (it takes the contacts off your phone and saves it to their database). If you had X amount of people on your list of referrals, you’d get prizes (some products from CUTCO). I had over 150 on my list because I wanted the free stuff lmao. But it made me wonder: If there are at least 5 new recruits each week, and each one gives them a list of at least 50 people each, why are there only about 20 people working for them when this particular office has been around for several months? I guess this is why job posting for the receptionist position involved making 50-100 calls a day (yeah, I applied for a receptionist position, remember? Looks like they already got someone for that, so I got a sales rep position instead. There’s no other way to describe this other than it being a trap).

Reply - Report abuse

Kyren in Ontario

41 months ago

Anyways, the real reason I quit was because they were extremely pushy in making phone calls. There was an extra 6-hour meeting we had to attend, inconveniently placed on a Sunday evening. Not to mention it was unpaid and MANDATORY. I had to leave early due to a personal reason and the manager wouldn’t let me go saying that it was mandatory for me to stay for the whole time and it was part of the job. He said that attendance to these meetings is part of being on the team, and it’s either I attend them and be a part of the team, or not. I apologized and insisted that I really had to go (I had a family emergency I needed to attend to, so I was basically making it seem like I was quitting because I obviously can’t ditch my family over a job).

Now here’s the funny part. He took it back and said he’ll be flexible with me. He said if I left, I could still work with them but I would no longer be eligible to receive guaranteed pay and would only be paid on commission. First off, attendance to these meetings was NOT mentioned in the contract. The requirements for the guaranteed pay only mentioned that I had to present demos to people over 25 years old who were married with a steady income. It was a very uncomfortable conversation for a very stupid reason. Just think about it. He was forcing us to attend and stay for these unpaid meetings just to make phone calls?! As if we’re not already constantly nagged to make phone calls 24/7?! It’s messed up.

Anyways, I left right then and there and I’m not planning on returning. I literally just walked out and didn’t look back.

Reply - Report abuse

Kyren in Ontario

41 months ago

To sum it all up, Vector Marketing is a legitimate company, but they are very deceiving. Everyone who goes for an interview and pretends to like the company is hired. It doesn’t matter if you can’t speak English (some guy in my training could barely read) because you’re just another recruit that can be replaced by next week. Yes, the pay sounds too good to be true, but it is true. You get at LEAST $15.95 per 30-45 minute demo, and if you make a sale and 10% of it exceeds that, you get the commission instead! BUT NOW, if you take into consideration the numerous hours of unpaid meetings, the time spent making phone calls, and the stress of being constantly nagged to maximize your schedule with appointments even though you were told that hours would flexible and totally up to you, trust me when I tell you that it’s definitely not worth it. These people are just hungry for money. I’m really glad that I left. I can’t even begin to tell you how relieved I felt while I was driving home. It’s like a ton of bricks were removed from my shoulders and I was happy that I finally got out of there. It honestly felt like a cult. It was my first job and I really wanted it to work out… I didn’t know how to leave. They do whatever they can to draw you in and literally bribe you to mass recruit for them, saying you get 2% of everything your personal recruits make (obviously a pyramid scheme). They lie to you and make it look like they care about your goals but really you’re just one name on a list of thousands of other possible recruits.

Reply - Report abuse

Kyren in Ontario

41 months ago

Now, to those of you who have been successful and insist that Vector Marketing is a great company to work for, kudos to you. Just know that when I started, I felt the same way. I was like you. I defended the company when my friends and family told me about the negative reviews saying it was a scam. They told us in training that people would say things like this and that the successful people were the ones that gave it a shot anyway, so I did, and it still didn’t work out for me. It sucks I had to experience it first-hand. I really wish I listened to them.

Reply - Report abuse

Connorenglish1 in Brunswick, Ohio

41 months ago

Cat in Gastonia, North Carolina said: If this company was a scam, how would it survive 64 years? And how would Cutco, the products they represent, still be in business ? Just because you didn't get hired doesn't mean you should go around putting negative things online. I've worked here for over a year and a half and I've loved every day of it. If its a scam just look at my bank account .

Agreed... my bank statements are beautiful and I've grown so much as a business person working for this job!!

Reply - Report abuse

applicant in Richmond, Virginia

32 months ago

Pyramid scheme
no hourly pay
Guaranteed pay by the number of appointments you complete 15$ an appointment
incentive pay after you sell 1000$ worth of cutco knifes 10% of sales made you keep
you get whichever of the two is greater

Basically in my opinion a bunch of bs and a waste of about an hour and a half of my life
your better of getting a job with an hourly rate of pay

Reply - Report abuse

An Unreelmom in Jacksonville, Florida

30 months ago

Okay, so let's call it what it is. My daughter just received this letter and she and I have scoured the Internet reading reviews and opinions all day and I've come to a single conclusion that I thought I would share.

Is Vector Marketing a scam? No, a scam is something that is ficticious. The company does exist and therefore it is not a scam. However, it appears they do use extreme high pressure sales tactics on youth (or young adults) that have not yet experienced these tactics and therefore do not have the skills to handle the situation. That being said; kiddos, let me be the first to welcome you to Corporate America! It's feast or famine and you have to find your fit. To those of you that succeeded, congrats on passing your first test in this this dog eat dog world. To those of you that moved on, congrats on taking the moral high road and seeing that there is a better way. Companies that take our youth and put them in unrealistic situations are much worse than scams, they are bullies and teach our kids the dirty underbelly tactics used in Corporate America that so many of us SUCCESSFUL, HIGH MORAL white collar Americans try to change. So, to those of you that keep bragging about how "successful" you've been, I'm happy and proud of you. However, never forget, the guy selling the $h1t and calling it fertilizer doesn't make half as much as the guy smelling like roses owning the cow ....

FYI...all major companies offer OUTSTANDING internship programs for all students as well as part time work and tuition reimbursement with flex schedules. It's how I got my start, do your research and best of luck to all.

If Vector Marketing was the reputable company everyone claims they are they would stop targeting our young, impressionable adults, PERIOD

Reply - Report abuse

lindseydanger in Saint Paul, Minnesota

29 months ago

I got a call from a Vector representative today. She told me that a Miranda had recommended me for the job, and wants me to come in for an interview two days from now. I DO NOT know anyone named Miranda, so I am really suspicious that this is a scam. If I get the job, I will be paid $17/hour guaranteed, and given training. It sounds too good to be true, and that's partly what makes me suspicious. I've read these comments and half of them say that Vector is a scam or a deceiving company, and the other half say that Vector is amazing and that I shouldn't listen to the bad reviews.

Reply - Report abuse

JSL in San Jose, California

29 months ago

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVUUbEw_Pm8

Just food for thought if anyone haven't heard of this yet... avoid any business with these type of organization by all means.

Reply - Report abuse

Old Dog in Bois-des-filion, Quebec

28 months ago

I've had a few run-ins with them over the years as they change brands to hide their sorry reputation.

Any company that can't be honest with you when they start the hiring process on basic things like your responsiblites isn't a company you want to work for.

I with all these responsible advertising organizations would take a crack at companies like Vector Marketing.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

hyder sheila in Decatur, Georgia

11 months ago

What happened and what is involved in this job ? Someone called last night for an interview but all i can do is see how bad it is! What should i do im almost homeless with a Chihuahua and I will end up in street! Just being honest however ashamed to say wat situation im in. 52 and nothing but a GED and ive applied everywhere!Im a Christian and ask for other practicing Christians to plz pray for me and God Bless

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.