The Interview Process

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Dinah L. Oglesby in Marietta, Georgia

90 months ago

What is the problem with their HR Dept. those people think they are GOD, 3 Interviews, 4 test all of which I Passed and then they tell you, "I don't think your are good enough for Verizon at this time" Some one needs to give my money back for my gas. I don't Verizon is good enough for me. "Can you heard me NOW?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Barry

90 months ago

If your over 30 you don't stand a chance of getting hired, at least in Ft Wayne.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

ted in Waverly, New York

90 months ago

Dinah L. Oglesby in Marietta, Georgia said: What is the problem with their HR Dept. those people think they are GOD, 3 Interviews, 4 test all of which I Passed and then they tell you, "I don't think your are good enough for Verizon at this time" Some one needs to give my money back for my gas. I don't Verizon is good enough for me. "Can you heard me NOW?"

Maybe you did not get hired because of your horrible grammar and spelling skills. If you want to be reimbursed for your gas, maybe you should ask the grocery store to reimburse you when you drive for grogeries. Maybe the theater would reimburse you for gas when you take the family to see a film. You are very bitter because you did not get a job. By the attitude you displayed here, I think it was a great idea not to put you in front of customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

A in Wharton, New Jersey

89 months ago

ted in Waverly, New York said: Maybe you did not get hired because of your horrible grammar and spelling skills. If you want to be reimbursed for your gas, maybe you should ask the grocery store to reimburse you when you drive for grogeries. Maybe the theater would reimburse you for gas when you take the family to see a film. You are very bitter because you did not get a job. By the attitude you displayed here, I think it was a great idea not to put you in front of customers.

Maybe you don't know how it is like to be without a job. Your comment was not nice. By the way, it is groceries not grogeries, "English Teacher".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

kapusta in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

I have to say that when I see negative postings by posters, and the text is full of spelling and grammar errors, I take their complaints with a grain of salt. They remind me of some of the employees at my job who can barely type a one-sentence e-mail without an error who then complain about how they are not properly compensated for their work, how the CEO's are a bunch of lazy fatcats, how the place is overrun with favoritism.

Some of these complainers would never get hired today under the stricter screening in place now - and could never make as much in the way of money and benefits in any other job.

However.......
by reading so many other negative postings about Verizon and Verizon Wireless (by people with accurate spelling and grammar, and specific details to back up their arguments) that I think I should not pursue a job there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Hambrick709

57 months ago

I just got finished with the group interview and fell that I bombed it, but was asked to another interview in the morning. I have no CSR experience but do have a degree and need an chance to get the experience is it to late to convince them to choose me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chody in Arkadelphia, Arkansas

57 months ago

I put my application online for Verizon Wireless retail sales rep on Wednesday May, 5 2010 and recieved a call from corporate on Monday May, 10, asking for a phone interview. The phone interview was that Thursday, May 13, and it lasted about 30 minutes. She asked me why I wanted to work for verizon, why I was looking for another job, asked me about my education and my current college experience. She asked for a specific situations where I had to deal with an upset customer and when I made a sale that I felt good about it and how I made the sale. It was a pretty easy and comfortable interview. She told me that she would notify the store manager of the store I applied for and if I hadn't heard from him by the next tuesday to call her.
On Monday, May 17, the store manager called me and asked when I could interview, so we set it up for the next day. That interview was yesterday, I went in and talked with the store manager and assistant manager for about an hour. The asked similar questions and told me more about the company, and asked me how I felt about competing for sale. They felt very strong about employees not simply sitting in the store and selling to people that came in, but going out to get people to come into the store and making phone calls to get people to come in, and asked how I felt about it. They asked what I liked most and least about working in retail and how I felt about teamwork, whether I'd rather work alone or with others. After the interview, the store manager told me I would need to interview with the district manager. He said that he would call him and set up an interview later this week. Then, yesterday afternoon at around 4:00pm, the same day as the interview, he called me and told me that the district manager was coming to town to meet with me at 5:30.
This morning I got a call with a job offer and am waiting for the background check. The store has 2 positions open and I have 2.5 years retail experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JCM13 in Victorville, California

56 months ago

Dinah L. Oglesby in Marietta, Georgia said: What is the problem with their HR Dept. those people think they are GOD, 3 Interviews, 4 test all of which I Passed and then they tell you, "I don't think your are good enough for Verizon at this time" Some one needs to give my money back for my gas. I don't Verizon is good enough for me. "Can you heard me NOW?"

Dont Feel to bad I know People out of the irvine Office Who are getting thier departments shrunk-People with high salaries being let go after years- Its not as stable as it was 2 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

christylane in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

Barry said: If your over 30 you don't stand a chance of getting hired, at least in Ft Wayne.

Not true. I'm 34.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MoHutt in Pine Bluff, Arkansas

56 months ago

@ Chody

Excellent post, and congrats. My girlfriend explained the exact same scenario that you described. Same questions. Same format. Same timing. She got the offer on May 13, 2010. She does the drug test on May 18, but she doesn't hear anything back from them after 4 or 5 days. She emails the recruiter. The recruiter responds: "The store manager (Brian) did his own background check, and he doesn't like the results. Therefore, we'd like to rescind our offer of employment to you." She was heart broken. She had been fired from a wireless competitor about 2.5 years ago for excessively complaining about another rep repeatedly taking her customers. From what we've found out, that rep is good friends with Brian. She's going to wait until the end of summer and then apply in Little Rock (she applied in Memphis).

But, that's the interview process: 1. You Apply. 2. You interview with a recruiter. 3. The recruiter sends you to the store manager. 4. If the store manager likes you, the store manager sends you to the district manager. 5. If the DM says "yes", you get the offer. If anybody needs to figure out how to get a job with Verizon, Chody explains it perfectly.

They asked her specifically about her reaction if she encountered someone taking all the customers/ sales; she said confidently: "I plan on being the number one rep and raising the bar. I'll be the person taking all the sales. The others will be complaining about me." The manager asked: "when can you start?".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

MoHutt in Pine Bluff, Arkansas

56 months ago

@ Kapusta

Personally, I feel that wireless is one of the safest arenas to enter during such a difficult time in the job market. We're moving into a world without wires. More and more, people are streaming videos, interent, music via wireless networks. The wireless companies are making buckets of money. If you can get in the door now, imagine what will happen in 15 years. Ten years ago, would you have imagined phones like an iPhone or a HTC HD? I think we're moving torwards receiving everything via a cell phone tower: cable, internet, voice, etc. I'd encourage you to apply and find out for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JCM13 in Victorville, California

55 months ago

MoHutt in Pine Bluff, Arkansas said: @ Kapusta

Personally, I feel that wireless is one of the safest arenas to enter during such a difficult time in the job market. We're moving into a world without wires. More and more, people are streaming videos, interent, music via wireless networks. The wireless companies are making buckets of money. If you can get in the door now, imagine what will happen in 15 years. Ten years ago, would you have imagined phones like an iPhone or a HTC HD? I think we're moving torwards receiving everything via a cell phone tower: cable, internet, voice, etc. I'd encourage you to apply and find out for yourself.

Yes you are correct - But look at Verizon's stock over the last few months - I lost alot of customers because Verizon wont come close with their wireless pricing - people are going prepaid or to lower priced competitors - I now sell their home service with an independent contractor on the side

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle

48 months ago

I totally agree with you.It's Bull. Sometimes you have to kiss ass and that still doesn't work. Bull

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.