Verizon Customer Service - Questions on interview, background, assessment, etc

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 105)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Chamber in Tuscumbia, Alabama

47 months ago

I applied for a Verizon Customer Service position in the Huntsville, AL location back in early July. Friday Aug 13th (yeah Fri the 13th, bad sign?) I received an email from a recruiter saying to call to setup a phone interview. It was after 5PM when I called and it went to her voice mail telling me to call XXX for the Huntsville position. I called that number and they lady set me up with a phone interview for the next morning at 8 AM.

The woman I interview with seemed very odd, almost robotic with no emotion and monotone. After the interview she said she would recommend me to a recruiter to schedule a assessment test. I got the call today, Aug 17th, to come in for my assessment on Aug 30th.

So my questions are:

1) What exactly is on this two hour long assessment test?

2) How difficult is the assessment test?

3) I have heard some talk about the A-Check background check; is this used company wide or just by position/location? What if I have been working as an independent contractor? That employment won't show on a background check nor do I receive W2's, so how would I explain this?

4) Assuming I make it past the assessment what is on the second interview? I have heard it's a harder interview, so I would like to be prepared.

The training class I would be interviewing for is the one on Sept 23rd, so I have plenty of time. Hopefully everything goes well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Shelia in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

Chamber in Tuscumbia, Alabama said: I applied for a Verizon Customer Service position in the Huntsville, AL location back in early July. Friday Aug 13th (yeah Fri the 13th, bad sign?) I received an email from a recruiter saying to call to setup a phone interview. It was after 5PM when I called and it went to her voice mail telling me to call XXX for the Huntsville position. I called that number and they lady set me up with a phone interview for the next morning at 8 AM.

The woman I interview with seemed very odd, almost robotic with no emotion and monotone. After the interview she said she would recommend me to a recruiter to schedule a assessment test. I got the call today, Aug 17th, to come in for my assessment on Aug 30th.

So my questions are:

1) What exactly is on this two hour long assessment test?

2) How difficult is the assessment test?

3) I have heard some talk about the A-Check background check; is this used company wide or just by position/location? What if I have been working as an independent contractor? That employment won't show on a background check nor do I receive W2's, so how would I explain this?

4) Assuming I make it past the assessment what is on the second interview? I have heard it's a harder interview, so I would like to be prepared.

The training class I would be interviewing for is the one on Sept 23rd, so I have plenty of time. Hopefully everything goes well.

Hi There, I just got the email to get my phone interview set up. Can you tell me what kinds of questions they ask you so I am a little prepared. I am already nervous. Also, How long do they keep you on the phone? Thanks so much!! Anything that you can remember would be great!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

Shelia in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania said: Can you tell me what kinds of questions they ask you so I am a little prepared. How long do they keep you on the phone?

She asked about my role at my last job, time there, and was I still there. She then asked questions based off the email attachment the recruiter had sent: What was the pay? What were the hours of operation? And a few others, just read the attachment well. Then she asked what mobile phone I used and specific features I am familiar with and use on a daily basis. As long as you read the email it's easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

Shelia in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania said: How long do they keep you on the phone?

Almost forgot to answer this. I was on the phone about 20-30min

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Greenville, South Carolina

47 months ago

Chamber in Tuscumbia, Alabama said: I applied for a Verizon Customer Service position in the Huntsville, AL location back in early July. Friday Aug 13th (yeah Fri the 13th, bad sign?) I received an email from a recruiter saying to call to setup a phone interview. It was after 5PM when I called and it went to her voice mail telling me to call XXX for the Huntsville position. I called that number and they lady set me up with a phone interview for the next morning at 8 AM.

The woman I interview with seemed very odd, almost robotic with no emotion and monotone. After the interview she said she would recommend me to a recruiter to schedule a assessment test. I got the call today, Aug 17th, to come in for my assessment on Aug 30th.

So my questions are:

1) What exactly is on this two hour long assessment test?

2) How difficult is the assessment test?

3) I have heard some talk about the A-Check background check; is this used company wide or just by position/location? What if I have been working as an independent contractor? That employment won't show on a background check nor do I receive W2's, so how would I explain this?

4) Assuming I make it past the assessment what is on the second interview? I have heard it's a harder interview, so I would like to be prepared.

The training class I would be interviewing for is the one on Sept 23rd, so I have plenty of time. Hopefully everything goes well.

Hello Not sure if youve found your answer. I passed the assessment this morning and it only took me hour and a half. I thought I failed the test however I didnt. There are seven parts, answer statements disagree or agree....then listen to calls and you have to match the calls to the best response. Then you have to do some data entry like you listen to a series of numbers and type them in. Then you listen to sentences and type them in, which the test is timed. You also read several sentences and type them in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shelia in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

Tiffany in Greenville, South Carolina said: Hello Not sure if youve found your answer. I passed the assessment this morning and it only took me hour and a half. I thought I failed the test however I didnt. There are seven parts, answer statements disagree or agree....then listen to calls and you have to match the calls to the best response. Then you have to do some data entry like you listen to a series of numbers and type them in. Then you listen to sentences and type them in, which the test is timed. You also read several sentences and type them in.

Thanks so much for the information you gave me. I am STILL waiting to see if I passed the 1st interview. They interviewed me on the phone on Thursday. I guess they will call me either way. I think I failed the phone interview. The answers I gave them were so dumb. I was sooooo nervous!!!! I am hoping for the best!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MrsWhitfield2010

47 months ago

Tiffany in Greenville, South Carolina said: Hello Not sure if youve found your answer. I passed the assessment this morning and it only took me hour and a half. I thought I failed the test however I didnt. There are seven parts, answer statements disagree or agree....then listen to calls and you have to match the calls to the best response. Then you have to do some data entry like you listen to a series of numbers and type them in. Then you listen to sentences and type them in, which the test is timed. You also read several sentences and type them in.

Hmmm. Your answer seems similar to mine. Maybe I missed something in my response that you felt you needed to address as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

Shelia in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania said: I am STILL waiting to see if I passed the 1st interview. They interviewed me on the phone on Thursday. I guess they will call me either way.

After my phone interview was complete she told me she was going to tell the recruiter to give me a call and schedule my assessment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

On another note. I had originally applied back in Jan 2010, and after I was contacted here recently and the process going. I then read about how picky they are and the anal A-Check people. I reviewed my resume and have found a couple of errors that were fixed on my up-to-date resume, but not on the old one they were using.

I have since tried contacting both the recruiters I spoke to on the phone via phone calls and email and have yet to hear anything back about getting it corrected. I live 1 1/2 hrs away and my assessment is on the 30th. I don't want to waste three hours of driving time and two hours taking the test just to fail the background check due to the recruiters not contacting me back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MrsWhitfield2010

47 months ago

If you haven't had a phone interview yet I would go ahead with taking the assessment because any changes that you need to make can be made during your phone interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shelia in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

MrsWhitfield2010 said: If you haven't had a phone interview yet I would go ahead with taking the assessment because any changes that you need to make can be made during your phone interview.

Oh no, I DID have the phone interview last Thursday. Just have not heard yet if I passed that. I guess they will call or email. I don't know how long that will take or if they will let me know if I did not pass the phone part. Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MrsWhitfield2010

47 months ago

Shelia in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania said: Oh no, I DID have the phone interview last Thursday. Just have not heard yet if I passed that. I guess they will call or email. I don't know how long that will take or if they will let me know if I did not pass the phone part. Thanks!![/QUO

I'm sorry Shelia. That particular comment was in response to Chamber in Florence....But in any event, are you waitiing as well for an assessment test? My situation was the other way around. I took my assessment and then I was scheduled for a phone interviewed. I was actually contacted that same day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MrsWhitfield2010

47 months ago

Chamber in Florence, Alabama said: On another note. I had originally applied back in Jan 2010, and after I was contacted here recently and the process going. I then read about how picky they are and the anal A-Check people. I reviewed my resume and have found a couple of errors that were fixed on my up-to-date resume, but not on the old one they were using.

I have since tried contacting both the recruiters I spoke to on the phone via phone calls and email and have yet to hear anything back about getting it corrected. I live 1 1/2 hrs away and my assessment is on the 30th. I don't want to waste three hours of driving time and two hours taking the test just to fail the background check due to the recruiters not contacting me back.

If you haven't had a phone interview yet I would go ahead with taking the assessment because any changes that you need to make can be made during your phone interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

MrsWhitfield2010 said: If you haven't had a phone interview yet I would go ahead with taking the assessment because any changes that you need to make can be made during your phone interview.

Which phone interview? From my understanding there are two. I did a phone interview, passed that and have my assessment scheduled, and have been told after that you usually get another interview and the background check. Since the recruiters seem useless I guess I will just take my updated resume with me to the assessment and if I pass try to talk to someone there and see if they can help me further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Watertown, New York

47 months ago

I had my first phone interview today and have a second one scheduled for tomorrow. He had stated that the next training session begins in 18 days. Although i have not heard anything about the assessment test until reading this forum. Is the assesment test taken at a certain location?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

Mandy in Watertown, New York said: Although i have not heard anything about the assessment test until reading this forum. Is the assesment test taken at a certain location?

What position are you hiring for? I believe the assessment test is primarily for the call center positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mandy

47 months ago

Chamber in Florence, Alabama said: What position are you hiring for? I believe the assessment test is primarily for the call center positions.

Oh thanks that helps I'm applying as a sales rep to work in the store. I'm hoping I get an offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

I just did my assessment yesterday. I arrived about 15 min early and there were several others there. The rest arrived by the designated time, and we waited in the lobby till about 10min after the arrival time for the instructor. (also there was only about six seats in the lobby, so the rest had to stand, not that that matters).

After people were given the option to use the restroom and returned, he began going over the instructions and how to log on. My password as well as another persons wouldn't work. I was the last one to begin my test about 10-15 min later than everyone else. It took me just a little over an hour to finish my assessment and was done with about half the people still taking theirs.

I must say I was nervous going in, but the test turned out to be VERY easy. If you have common sense, can type, and can multi-task you should have no problem passing it. It consisted of the following:

Part 1) A series of questions that you have to select the level of agreeance on. This was a no brainer, and I seriously hoped no one got these "wrong".

Part 2) Listening/typing. You had to listen and key in a member number ( I advise to start using your right hand number pad, I blew through these numbers saving me a lot of time). You then had to listen to a customer question, then three CSR answers and rate them.

Part 3) Another series of questions you have to select a level of agreeance on.

Part 4) Typing. You had to type the sentence that appears on the left of the screen. The sentences are easy such as "The dog chased the cat around the table". Second you had to type sentences as they were being read to you through the headphones. Again, very simple sentences, just makes sure you use punctuation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

Part 5) Multi-tasking. In this section you were given a list of 5 people to click on who were in certain departments. You had to click listen and a customer would describe a situation. You had to decide where to route that person, and the people were going in and out of being busy. While this is going on you would have a list of numbers on your right that had two sets of six digits. You would have to read them and select if they were the same or different. This was easy for me as I got a rhythm going. While the "customer" is talking just do the numbers. Just listen for context clues and route that way. I blew through this section and it was honestly quite fun.

Afterward you watch a short video on the CSR position and then your assessment is over. We had to then wait at the front of the room and he took us out three at a time, then one at a time down the hall to let us know if we passed. I did, and am scheduled for another phone interview today.

I have no doubt I'll pass the next interview as well. The ONLY thing that has worried me from the beginning was the background check. I have no criminal past, or anything bad at all for that matter. People have said how anal A-Check is, which worries me as there are two of my employers I can't get anyone in HR to call me back, so I am unable to verify my dates of employment. I have them within a month correct for sure, but not sure the exact times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No Reply - Report abuse

MrsWhitfield2010

47 months ago

Chamber in Florence, Alabama said: Part 5) Multi-tasking. In this section you were given a list of 5 people to click on who were in certain departments. You had to click listen and a customer would describe a situation. You had to decide where to route that person, and the people were going in and out of being busy. While this is going on you would have a list of numbers on your right that had two sets of six digits. You would have to read them and select if they were the same or different. This was easy for me as I got a rhythm going. While the "customer" is talking just do the numbers. Just listen for context clues and route that way. I blew through this section and it was honestly quite fun.

Afterward you watch a short video on the CSR position and then your assessment is over. We had to then wait at the front of the room and he took us out three at a time, then one at a time down the hall to let us know if we passed. I did, and am scheduled for another phone interview today.

I have no doubt I'll pass the next interview as well. The ONLY thing that has worried me from the beginning was the background check. I have no criminal past, or anything bad at all for that matter. People have said how anal A-Check is, which worries me as there are two of my employers I can't get anyone in HR to call me back, so I am unable to verify my dates of employment. I have them within a month correct for sure, but not sure the exact times.

There were seven parts to the assessment. Your missing two...also I had no problem with ACheck at all. I think those that say ACheck anal are probably people that have many different and they aren't verifiable. During your next phone interview you will be able to clear up any updates that you may for your resume/application. When I interviewed, the recruiter just told me to email him any changes that I had and if you don't hear back, don't worry. You should do fine on this interview, but its longer than they say it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

MrsWhitfield2010 said: There were seven parts to the assessment. Your missing two.

You are correct. There were two other, but they are so trivial they really didn't matter in my opinion.

Step 6) Matching. You have a grid of numbers/letters on your left. You then click start and it puts a series of numbers/letters on your left. You have to try to find them in the grid and click them, or click none matching if it isn't there.

Step 7) I can't remember for the life of me what it was. It was honestly so minuscule that I don't even remember doing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

47 months ago

MrsWhitfield2010 said: I think those that say ACheck anal are probably people that have many different and they aren't verifiable. During your next phone interview you will be able to clear up any updates that you may for your resume/application.

Yeah I already emailed the recruiter before my assessment with an updated version of my resume as they were using one eight months old. Two of my employers I can't get to HR. One they closed the HR department and the new one which is three hours away has yet to respond. I either started at the end of Aug or the beginning of Sept, so I just put Sept. The other there isn't a phone number for them available ANYWHERE. I have looked for several hours and can't find one. Again it was the same situation, with that one as far as the hire date.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

46 months ago

I just got done with my second phone interview. First he went over the training dates and times as well as the work schedule bidding system after training.

Then he went over my work history and dates, which was great that he did because the recruiter that I emailed/spoke to on the phone DIDN'T update the dates as she said she would. So after correcting the dates he asked what that duties were are each position and what I liked most and least about each.

After that the normal questions began: Tell me about a time where you went out of your way to help someone? Tell me when there was an irate customer and what you did to resolve it? When was a time that you had difficulty with a new product or procedure at work? When did you have to use organization and search for a solution to a problem at work?

He then stated they would review all of my information and contact me in 5-7 days via email or phone to let me know something either way. Kind of makes me worry because up to this point after the first interview she said I would be scheduled for an assessment, after the assessment they immediately set me up for another phone interview, but after this one a "we'll review the information and let you know"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

MrsWhitfield2010

46 months ago

Chamber in Florence, Alabama said: I just got done with my second phone interview. First he went over the training dates and times as well as the work schedule bidding system after training.

Then he went over my work history and dates, which was great that he did because the recruiter that I emailed/spoke to on the phone DIDN'T update the dates as she said she would. So after correcting the dates he asked what that duties were are each position and what I liked most and least about each.
After that the normal questions began: Tell me about a time where you went out of your way to help someone? Tell me when there was an irate customer and what you did to resolve it? When was a time that you had difficulty with a new product or procedure at work? When did you have to use organization and search for a solution to a problem at work?

He then stated they would review all of my information and contact me in 5-7 days via email or phone to let me know something either way. Kind of makes me worry because up to this point after the first interview she said I would be scheduled for an assessment, after the assessment they immediately set me up for another phone interview, but after this one a "we'll review the information and let you know"?

Hmmm, after my phone interview I wasn't immediately scheduled for the next interview because the information has to be forwarded to someone else. As far as I know, the person that interviewed you isn't the same as the one that will be scheduling your interview. However, he did mention that I would have another interview. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MV in Alpharetta, Georgia

46 months ago

Chamber in Florence, Alabama said: You are correct. There were two other, but they are so trivial they really didn't matter in my opinion.

Step 6) Matching. You have a grid of numbers/letters on your left. You then click start and it puts a series of numbers/letters on your left. You have to try to find them in the grid and click them, or click none matching if it isn't there.

Step 7) I can't remember for the life of me what it was. It was honestly so minuscule that I don't even remember doing it.

It was the "going fishing" part, which I didn't like at all :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Doe in Stockton, California

46 months ago

This question has to do with the Verizon call center in Rancho Cordova, California.

I passed the assessment and phone interview. I needed to clarify my dates of employment so I filled out and sent back an addendum the same day they sent it. They said I needed to e-mail it back by Monday. I sent it on Friday morning. Here's some more information to hopefully clarify an answer.

sept 8 assessment
sept 9 phone interview
sept 10 I e-mailed back the addendum that was due by the 13th
today is the 14th

I know I'm in pretty good shape because of the dates, but it's just nerve-racking waiting. I mean, I keep staying busy by filling out applications and turning in resumes with the same pay, but I'd rather work at Verizon.

Any answers, advice will be appreciated :)

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nerd-a-holic in Citrus Heights, California

46 months ago

John Doe in Stockton, California said: This question has to do with the Verizon call center in Rancho Cordova, California.

I passed the assessment and phone interview. I needed to clarify my dates of employment so I filled out and sent back an addendum the same day they sent it. They said I needed to e-mail it back by Monday. I sent it on Friday morning. Here's some more information to hopefully clarify an answer.

sept 8 assessment
sept 9 phone interview
sept 10 I e-mailed back the addendum that was due by the 13th
today is the 14th

I know I'm in pretty good shape because of the dates, but it's just nerve-racking waiting. I mean, I keep staying busy by filling out applications and turning in resumes with the same pay, but I'd rather work at Verizon.

Any answers, advice will be appreciated :)

Thank you

One thing to take into consideration is that the addendum you filled out may not go to A-check. I too filled one out & we went over that about 3 times to make sure all dates were accurate. A-check calls me to say there is a discrepancy with my graduation date. They never got the addendum and said all the had was a copy of my resume.
I know it has been 10 days now; hopefully you got the job. If not, try calling A-Check and Verizon Wireless HR Department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Educational PC in Ellenwood, Georgia

46 months ago

I've applied for various positions for Verizon. I started the process on last Saturday and received an e-mail on Wednesday to schedule a pre-screening interview. I responded that Wednesday and had the pre-screening on Friday. After my hour pre-screening, I was invited to participate on the assessment for Monday. I'm praying that everything else falls through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Educational PC in Ellenwood, Georgia

45 months ago

And it is so...Amen! I passed the assessment on Monday. Had my interview with HR on Wednesday. Face-to-Face was on Friday and I've passed. Awaiting for paperwork.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chamber in Florence, Alabama

45 months ago

Well after not hearing anything for three weeks when I was told five days I decided to call the guy I had my last interview with. He said he didn't know why I hadn't heard anything and would get back with me by the end of the day. Shorty after I get this email:

"Thank you for considering Verizon Wireless as a potential employer. We're honored to be one of the companies that you've included in your job search.

Unfortunately, you were not the candidate best qualified for the position to which you applied. However, with your experience and skills, your qualifications may better align with another position at Verizon Wireless, and we hope you will consider applying again.

Our Careers site (careers.verizonwireless.com) can help you find open positions that might interest you, and will allow you to save a customized search to alert you when new positions are posted.

We wish you the best of luck in your search, and hope to hear from you again soon.

Thank you again for considering us."

I'm not best qualified for what I applied, yet all my work experience from the last five years has been call center oriented. The company sounds like a royal pain in the a** and getting people to call you back, respond to emails, or do anything they say for that matter is near impossible. Judging by they front themselves I'm honestly not sad I didn't get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nerd-a-holic in Citrus Heights, California

45 months ago

Chamber in Florence, Alabama said: Well after not hearing anything for three weeks when I was told five days I decided to call the guy I had my last interview with. He said he didn't know why I hadn't heard anything and would get back with me by the end of the day. Shorty after I get this email:

"Thank you for considering Verizon Wireless as a potential employer. We're honored to be one of the companies that you've included in your job search.

Unfortunately, you were not the candidate best qualified for the position to which you applied. However, with your experience and skills, your qualifications may better align with another position at Verizon Wireless, and we hope you will consider applying again.

Our Careers site ( careers.verizonwireless.com ) can help you find open positions that might interest you, and will allow you to save a customized search to alert you when new positions are posted.

We wish you the best of luck in your search, and hope to hear from you again soon.

Thank you again for considering us."

I'm not best qualified for what I applied, yet all my work experience from the last five years has been call center oriented. The company sounds like a royal pain in the a** and getting people to call you back, respond to emails, or do anything they say for that matter is near impossible. Judging by they front themselves I'm honestly not sad I didn't get it.

That is too bad. 2000 people applied for a job that they had 14 openings for. I was one of the lucky ones. Waiting three weeks for them to respond might have been a wrong decision. I would have called on the 5th day. I constantly stayed in contact with HR. It's one of the only ways to keep your name fresh in their heads.

Good luck to you, I hope something better comes along.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kevinf1986 in Waterbury, Connecticut

45 months ago

John Doe in Stockton, California said: This question has to do with the Verizon call center in Rancho Cordova, California.

I passed the assessment and phone interview. I needed to clarify my dates of employment so I filled out and sent back an addendum the same day they sent it. They said I needed to e-mail it back by Monday. I sent it on Friday morning. Here's some more information to hopefully clarify an answer.

sept 8 assessment
sept 9 phone interview
sept 10 I e-mailed back the addendum that was due by the 13th
today is the 14th

I know I'm in pretty good shape because of the dates, but it's just nerve-racking waiting. I mean, I keep staying busy by filling out applications and turning in resumes with the same pay, but I'd rather work at Verizon.

Any answers, advice will be appreciated :)

Thank you

I applied on September 30th to a customer service representative position with Verizon Wireless local to my area. I was contacted by a recruiter that same day and fowarded a packet of information. Following review I called him to have a phone interview which he scheduled me for an assessment a few days later. Immediately after the assessment the test administrator reviewed my score and asked if he could speak with me in the hallway. He advised me that I did great on my assessment and asked if it would be possible for me to stay and meet with the HR specialist for an interview even though it was not scheduled. I did, which took an extra half hour. She reviewed my background, asked me several questions why I applied, about my previous jobs, a time when I went above and beyond for a customer, etc. etc. Then she told me she would call me after 5:00 that same day to schedule my final interview with a Customer Service Manager-which she did promptly at around 5:00. That is in just a few days now. No experience in any call centers. I'm currently a sales rep with T-Mobile. Think I did well and lucked out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kevinf1986 in Waterbury, Connecticut

45 months ago

The assessment is not difficult for someone whom is qualified for the position. I was invited to meet with an HR specialist to proceed more quickly through the hiring process following my assessment which I was told I did great on even though it was not scheduled. I can type 120 words per minute, I used to be a Police Dispatcher so multi-tasking comes second nature to me, and I have plenty work experience in customer service. Aside from that my previous jobs are police related and currently in wireless sales for T-Mobile so I am very familiar with wireless handsets and products. If your not qualified- you wont pass the assessment. Let me break down the assessment for you :

1) Personal belief segments: Asks you a series of questions related to your personal preferences about work related activities or personal characteristics. For instance, you may see a question like :
Sometimes work assignments require more effort than you are willing to give.
You find work very easy for you to handle no matter how difficult the tasks may be.
Of those two statements you have to select the first answer which you choose in your head. Go with gut instinct-don't pretend to be someone your not and pick the answers you think the test wants. Thats a quick way the test with fail you. Think about the questions though-they will keep reappearig in other forms. The object is to remain consistent with your answers. If you select that work is very easy for you no matter how hard the situation is and then in another question you pick a response like, work can be difficult and stressful at times- thats a contradictory selection and it may negatively impact your test score.

The rest of the segments are work related tasks : One piece of advice-on the listening and customer interaction rating section-pick the answers where reps are most polite, and get right to the point. Also, don't select every answer that involves crediting the customer courtest credits. Be frugile with their money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

teazy

45 months ago

I applied for a postition in the murfreesboro tn call center... I was wondering if a drug screen will be performed or not?... I am clean but still worried. Can anyone help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

teazy

45 months ago

Will there be a drug test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

teazy

45 months ago

Will the test be done at Verizon or will I be sent to a lab? I work full time so my schedule is very tight and I would like to take care of everything asap.

Thanks for the reply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nerd-a-holic in Citrus Heights, California

45 months ago

I got sent to a lab. A check will inform you of the nearest facility. You will have 24 hours to complete it. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Waterbury, Connecticut

45 months ago

Sounds like you have worked your way to just about the final process of the hiring phases. I applied for a CSR position local to my area here in CT. The first day I applied I was emailed the information about the positiona and asked to take a phone interview. After that they scheduled my assessment, then I passed and the same day I interviewed with HR. HR called me later that day and asked me to come back and interview with a customer service manager. I did, I felt good that I had answered the questions appropriately, and before leaving the manager told me they would be in contact with me within one week. Any ideas whats going on? Does that sound like I'm good or does that sound like a thanks for applying kind of deal...?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seng hang in Wilmington, North Carolina

45 months ago

applied october 12th...interview october 25th...assessment scheduled oct. 26th. Im so excited and I hope to do well on the assessment tomorrow morning. The next scheduled training is Nov. 29th. Does anyone know if they hire a few at a time or just one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Justsphinx101 in corona, New York

45 months ago

They hire in groups. Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

seng hang in Wilmington, North Carolina

45 months ago

thx...just took assessment and passed..they said to wait for a recruiter's call for another phone interview..i hope it doesnt take long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seng hang in Wilmington, North Carolina

45 months ago

recruiter just called and scheduled a face to face interview this thursday...how awesome. I am thinking the recruited combined the two interviews the first time that's why it took so long...Im so excited..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

suekelso

45 months ago

In April, I applied in Mankato, MN for call center position. I failed the assessment test. This was not a surprise to me because the assessment test is so different than any other test I have ever taken. I waited 6 months and took it again last week. The first phone interview had been ok, and I knew what to expect from the assessment test, so I had confidence I could pass. I took my time, read the instructions slowly and made sure I understood them. The test went smoothly and I felt I had finally passed it. Imagine my surprise when I was told, right away - no waiting, that I had failed again! Of course, no one would tell me why. And I think I have finally figured out why I failed. I think I failed because I am 60 years old and have little phone experience. I think that Verizon did not want to spend the 35 grand on training someone as old as I am. I assured the interviewer that I have never had retirement plans in any of my jobs, that I intended to work as long as I could. But I believe that I had failed the test as soon as someone figured out how old I am. I believe the interview and the test were just a smokescreen, something they gave me to make me think that it was my performance on the test that killed me. They give the interview and the test and then they can say "But she just didn't pass the test." The test is actually subjective enough that everyone should be able to pass it. I believe strongly that the rejection actually came before I took the test. Sorry, it's true I am venting here, but those of us who were suddenly laid off and aren't old enough to retire are really in tough situations. Has anyone heard anything about older people and employment at Verizon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nerd-a-holic in Citrus Heights, California

45 months ago

I have said this before on here and I'll say it again. My new hire class has men and women aged between 20 & 60's. From my experience Verizon Wireless does not discriminate against age, sex, race or sexual orientation. There are people from all walks of life where I work. The assessment test is designed to test your typing, call handling, attention to detail and adaptability to learn & implement new things in a short amount of time. Taking your time was probably your first mistake. Since I have started the systems we use, and how things are handled have already changed. & I'm sure they will change soon once again. Test results are instantaneous upon completion of test. If you didn't pass its because you aren't suitable for a high call volume, constantly changing technology position. Age has nothing to do with it. Seriously, no offence intended towards you. I really hope you find a good job soon. It's difficult for many right now. Try comcast, I know they are hiring. Good luck to you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dreamz in Greenville, South Carolina

45 months ago

So here goes. On October 20th I receive a phone call from a recruiter with Verizon. He has pulled my resume from the community college I attended and wants to know if I am interested in a position as Coord-Tech Support I, which I reply yes (of course). He schedules me for a phone interview for the next day (Oct. 21). During the phone interview he asks questions about my knowledge in computer operating systems and basic computer and networking troubleshooting. Upon completion of the phone interview he schedules me for an assessment for Oct. 23. The assessment asks personality questions (Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Neutral, Agree, Strongly Agree). The questions are your typical questions you find on many job applications for example "I am a very outgoing person". Other parts of the assessment test your ability to multi-task, typing skills when listening to a conversation or looking at a window with text. Questions about computer troubleshooting, and listening to conversations and giving several responses to choose from on how would be best to respond to the situation that the client is calling about. There were 7 sections of the assessment. I was told I passed and that someone from HR would contact me to schedule an Interview for Oct. 25, which he did within several hours. On the interview day I was also scheduled for an interview with a supervisor. I interviewed with HR and most of the questions were along the lines of "Name a time when" -you were faced with a conflict with a customer - when there was a policy change that you didn't agree with, etc. and "How did you handle the situation". Again, the interview with the supervisor was the same kind of questions. After the interview with the supervisor he told me that the guy from HR had a few other questions he wanted to go over with me bases on (his) recommendation. After waiting a short time the guy from HR called me back into the meeting room and officially offered me the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dreamz in Greenville, South Carolina

45 months ago

continued from above...........
We went over my offer letter, benefits, salary, and that the job was contingent on a background check and a (urine) drug screening. Yay me, I am set to start on 11/8.......... what a dream come true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

seng hang in Wilmington, North Carolina

45 months ago

wow congrats dreamz...I just had my f2f interview yesterday with the supervisor and I hope it went well. Near the end I asked about my chances of getting the job and he said he likes alot of the things I mentioned and he feels that I am a very strong candidate. He said I should be hearing something in the next few days so I'm pretty excited. *fingers crossed*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

seng hang in Wilmington, North Carolina

44 months ago

i got job offer today (nov 1) so just gotta see if the A-check checks out...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Mission Viejo, California

44 months ago

Went to a job interview on friday and had my 2nd interview yesterday, at the end they offered me the job. Now going through a-check and drug test. Wishing for the best.

10/29/10 attended Career fair
11/01/10 2nd interview f2f with 2 managers
11/01/10 offered the position for sales rep

Good luck to everyone, How long did it take everyone to get their offer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jvw1018 in Asheboro, North Carolina

44 months ago

I applied Friday 10/29, they emailed me today 11/2 to schedule a phone interview on 11/4 for an in-store customer service position. These tips are great, I hope they help me land the job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.