The Rumor Mill

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Verizon stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

C - Atlanta, GA in Chandler, Arizona

98 months ago

Verizon will be fine. The wireless unit is where you want to work. That is where the action is and where you will succeed.

I would also look at Cingular Wireless, too.

Both have great benefits and will be the front runners in the US for wireless carriers. Benefits are virtually the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Trumbauersville, Pennsylvania

98 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

Verizon Wireless will survive especially now that you can get the internet wirelessly. Verizon (landline) is cutting back since more landlines are being lost. Cingular is by far more employee and union friendly, actually welcomes the CWA. When some Verizon Wireless centers were going to unionized, (over 1.000 employees), Verizon Wireless simply closed those centers down per the CWA (Communication Workers of America) Newsletter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

C - Atlanta, GA in Chandler, Arizona

98 months ago

That is true about the union but I am not pro-union. A union would destroy the wireless industry -- I have been on both sides. VZW works very efficiently without a union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nicole in Rossville, Pennsylvania

98 months ago

verizon is not a great place to work. the pay is about $9 and hour and the benefits are okay if you need them. your job would be with cingular and its a contract-no guarantee that your job will be there in a 1 to 3 years. a lot of people that call are total jerks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laid Off in Lewisville, Texas

96 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

I USED to work for Verizon, but was recently laid off from the division that does home phones and broadband internet service. They were OK to work for, but they expect more layoffs, and unless you're OK with that, then steer clear of everything but the Wireless part of Verizon. This is just my thoughts, but everyday now that I'm looking for a new job, I wonder why didn't I leave earlier on my own.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Former Wireless Employee in Chandler, Arizona

96 months ago

I agree with you -- especially now that the former wireless president and cmo is running the wireline side. Look for cost cuts -- it will mean headcount.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

The perfect world in El Cerrito, California

91 months ago

between verizon and cingular, which one is better to work for ( in wireless retail possition)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Current Verzion Wireless employee in Colorado Springs, Colorado

91 months ago

I'm a sales rep in Colorado Springs and so far this year (since January) I have earned over $32,000...and it's only July 1st. The money potential is definitely there in the sales side of Verizon Wireless. It's a substantial hourly (double digits) plus commission.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Zionsville, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

The perfect world in El Cerrito, California said: between verizon and cingular, which one is better to work for ( in wireless retail possition)

Now that Cingular is AT+T it is hard to say. I would lean toward Verizon retail since they have really good wireless service and are getting bigger with Broadband through the cell phone towers. Not sure where AT+T stands as far as wireless internet is concerned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Newly hired in Sacramento in Citrus Heights, California

91 months ago

verizon is not a great place to work. the pay is about $9 and hour and the benefits are okay if you need them. your job would be with cingular and its a contract-no guarantee that your job will be there in a 1 to 3 years. a lot of people that call are total jerks.

I was just hired in the Verizon Wireless call center in Rancho Cordova. It starts at $14/hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Noel Barrientos in Miami, Florida

82 months ago

I was just hired for verizon. I used to work for tmobile but there is no room for growth there. all i hear is good things about verizon but i am searching and searching for someone or some place where i can know what ill be making in commission per month...on an average.. keeping in mind i live in miami, fl. if anyone has an idea on the average commission..monthly..please let me know.....$500...$1000...$2000...$2500+??? im dying to know...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Real1 in District Heights, Maryland

72 months ago

I've got a couple of Verizon (not Verizon Wireless) questions:

- Do part time customer service reps get benefits?

- How often do part time customer reps have the chance to work overtime or transition into full time?

- I was told "time and title" requirements are 30 months, before you can apply for other positions within Verizon. Is this a policy that is firmly enforeced?

- Can someone tell me about the sales and customer retention bonuses available and if they are also available for Part Timers?

- What dollar amount/percentage is each raise. I heard the raises are every 6 months?

All help is appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.