Salaries and Benefits

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Verizon?

What do you like best about working at Verizon? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Susan Moss in Hilliards, Pennsylvania

95 months ago

I was told that you were hiring. I need a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

Emma in Stamford, Connecticut

95 months ago

I don't work for Verizon but here's a search for all Verizon jobs in Pennsylvania that may help you out: www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Verizon&l=PA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Guy in Victorville, California

95 months ago

My first recommendation would be to familiarize yourself with the general concepts of the Internet. You can't ask an automatically generated forum thread for a job.

Seriously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Al in Newark, Delaware

94 months ago

Speaking as a former (retiree) Verizon employee & Network operations person..

Salary would be hard to answer as a general question for a company like Verizon. It would depend on what type of work and department. As a Network Operations Supv. that start pay is at least in the 60K-70K range for an experienced person. They would most likely hire from within(promotion or lateral)or experienced person from a former Bell company (they use same support platforms, like Bell South,AT&T, etc. and received the same training). Verizon like to promote from with-in, if they can. Your best bet (unless you have the specific skills they need) is to shoot for entry level positions and move up internally.

In general the pay and benefits are very good at all levels. The non-supervisory positions are mostly unionized (CWA or IBEW). However, like most corporations, they are cutting back on pensions & benefits on the Management and non-management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Raksha Patel

93 months ago

Hello,

If you have any opening let me know ASAP. New-year is starting.

Thanks,
Raksha Patel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

93 months ago

Although someone from Verizon may be checking this forum I would highly suggest contacting them directly. You will most likely want to speak with someone in HR or in the department you are looking to work for.

Raksha, in order to apply for a job with Verizon using Indeed.com, I would recommend you do a job search and then click on the job listings you are interested in. Once you click on the job listing you will be directed to the website the job is originally posted, and there you will find instructions on how to apply.

By the way, you can do company searches on Indeed by typing: company:Verizon in the Where search box on Indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

93 months ago

Raksha Patel said: Hello,
If you have any opening let me know ASAP. New-year is starting.
Thanks,
Raksha Patel

You have to apply through the Verizon web site.

martel in Labelle, Florida

92 months ago

ok i live in florida and am originally from massachusetts ,i have 20 years of telecom experience i am a ccna certified have sonet 1 cert,lucent,and fusion splicing cert,not to mention pole climbing cert,i took verizon test for fiber network field tech position in ca.and passed but decided not to interview because it is to far away from family and figure ill wait for a position to open in fl but still nothing so i apply to texas well have not heard anything .i am willing to go to texas as long as i can get in to verizon then maybe transfer to fl when something does open up in fl can anybody help me as i am a hard worker and qualified .please help anybody as i have had enough working for mindless jobs i would like to work for verizon where i actually use my brain .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Chad in Corpus Christi, Texas

92 months ago

I was in the same boat. It took me 3 Years to get hired. I called my HR manager every week for 3 years until I got hired. I did however have to accept a job 8 hours away from my home. However, I have no regrets. I will transfer back in time allotted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

If you are sincere about relocating, keep your eye on Houston for the fiber job. Internals tell me it's the next big project for Fios. If you've tested and passed your score and experience will define your starting pay. Don't believe what your hear about starting at the bottom. Some can max out in 6 months. There is a max pay and it follows the Union. I know it can be stressful to get in. If you stay strong and almost be annoying to the point that they know your first and last name; You will get in. Don't Give Up! Sincerely, A happy Verizon Employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

pat in Fort Myers, Florida

92 months ago

well i finally went on interview yesterday and heard from hr today and im in but at a positon i really dont care for (wire tech )and low pay13.00 ,right now ther only hiring inhouse for fiber techs. but i know it will all pay off in the future if i accept and try to live off of nothing for a year .please tellme im doing the right thing as i have a family that is counting on me and is willing to go threw bad times for a little while .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Well remember that there is a pay scale and once you accept a position, its up to your manager to let you out. It's a gamble but the odds are on your side. The better job will come. But "When" is the question. You might have to relocate to get the better job. Hopefully you can move right up, But if you start low, you stay low for a while. I started High and maxed out after the 6 month probation.
If you don't know how the pay works write me back with your position and i'll tell you what you'll be making and how long it will take to max out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

martel in Winter Park, Florida

91 months ago

hey chad .i am hired as a buried wire tech (slave work) at 12.64 in fl .i do not have a college degree but have cisco, lucent ,fuji cert. and plenty of fiber experience as i use to live in Ma. and worked at the i.b.e.w in boston .anyway like i said i am only taking this position to get in verizon as they are only hiring inhouse for fiber network field techs (the position i want )and just hired 400 of them in house and there payscale is much much more i beleve in florida it maxs out at 26.00. i guess i will have to make sure i am not stuck at starting at 12.64 even if i change my postion .do you know if i would be stuck with that when i change positions .?all help is appreciated thanks for taking the time to comment.pat

marie in Thousand Oaks, California

89 months ago

If youre talking about VZ Communications and not VZ Wireless,..it depends on what job you apply for and where you apply. I worked for VZ Communications for 10 I'm not sure what the start pay is I think it might be close to $9.00 hr max about $26 hr those jobs are union jobs CWA (Communication Workers of America) pay increases are automatic you'll reach top pay within 4 years or less if you have a degree, it counts as wage credit. A typical bonus is $3k since it is a union job you get it regardless of your performance. For benefit info visit the website. Perks are that if you work hard you get rewarded, most rewards are found in the contact center since that's a main source of revenue for the company. Perks like trips to Hawaii, Florida, to small items like a TV, all this for making sales quotas. Also if you are in sales you earn points which you can use towards buying certificates at stores like Best Buy. If you love sales go to the contact center. If you have the tech skills you can be an outside tech or work in the IT depts. Most managerial positions are internal promotions. Before an interview review this www22.verizon.com/about/careers/preview.html If you get the job my best advice is to take advantage of the tuition reimbursement , try your best everyday, look for the solution (don’t be the complainer in the office), finally- accept and work well with change. Don’t get too complacent with a telecom job; land lines are less and less popular, there's more competition, and more jobs are being shipped to India!… If you are going to start there, get your degree(s), move up to a managerial position, and then move on to another company like I did!!! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bob in Hanover, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

I have been a cable mtce tech (copper) for 12 yrs. Best years working O.T. I cleared about 140K a year. Over the last 5 yrs I averaged @ 120k a year. VZ has now severerly cut O.T. for copper (core side) techs. Fios installers are unlimited on o.t. for now,heard a tech in VA got close to 200K (sounds extreme to me- but ive seen end of yr paystubs at my garage for as high as 166k.) Excellent benefits (for now) that we will have to strike for in Aug '08. Management is all about who you know,or who you are related to.Period. You can make a good living here, w/ the aformentioned excellent benefits,however be prepared to deal w/ pressure from management for "productivity quotas". i.e.- how many jobs you complete in a day. If you can deal w/ corporate B.S. and maintain good "numbers"(jobs per day) you'll be o.k. I did not go to college, yet I make far more than most that did. I work hard every day, earn my pay, and do well for my family. Keep in mind that on a hourly basis(w/out o.t.) your base pay is about 65K a year. If you like what you are reading- JOIN THE UNION. Thats why you see these numbers and benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CuJo in Corpus Christi, Texas

76 months ago

Well, The only problem with working with Verizon Telecom Right now is the Layoff. It doesn't matter how good you are, It matters how much time you have with the company. If you know of any positions available that are not on the intranet. Let me know. I have no problems making my productivity, but I have less than two years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Real1 in District Heights, Maryland

69 months ago

I've got a couple of Verizon (not Verizon Wireless) questions:

- Do part time customer service reps get benefits?

- How often do part time customer reps have the chance to work overtime or transition into full time?

- I was told "time and title" requirements are 30 months, before you can apply for other positions within Verizon. Is this a policy that is firmly enforeced?

- Can someone tell me about the sales and customer retention bonuses available and if they are also available for Part Timers?

- What dollar amount/percentage is each raise. I heard the raises are every 6 months?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kjacko in washington, District of Columbia

65 months ago

bob in Hanover, Pennsylvania said: I have been a cable mtce tech (copper) for 12 yrs. Best years working O.T. I cleared about 140K a year. Over the last 5 yrs I averaged @ 120k a year. VZ has now severerly cut O.T. for copper (core side) techs. Fios installers are unlimited on o.t. for now,heard a tech in VA got close to 200K (sounds extreme to me- but ive seen end of yr paystubs at my garage for as high as 166k.) Excellent benefits (for now) that we will have to strike for in Aug '08. Management is all about who you know,or who you are related to.Period. You can make a good living here, w/ the aformentioned excellent benefits,however be prepared to deal w/ pressure from management for "productivity quotas". i.e.- how many jobs you complete in a day. If you can deal w/ corporate B.S. and maintain good "numbers"(jobs per day) you'll be o.k. I did not go to college, yet I make far more than most that did. I work hard every day, earn my pay, and do well for my family. Keep in mind that on a hourly basis(w/out o.t.) your base pay is about 65K a year. If you like what you are reading- JOIN THE UNION. Thats why you see these numbers and benefits.

What this guy is not telling you is how the vast majority of the tech's are going tax exempt and most of them have the IRS breathing down their throats and bank accounts. Yeah they can make a tremendous amount of money, but not nearly that much! Those folks do not have taxes coming out of their checks each week trust me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kjacko in washington, District of Columbia

65 months ago

Real1 in District Heights, Maryland said: I've got a couple of Verizon (not Verizon Wireless) questions:

- Do part time customer service reps get benefits?

- How often do part time customer reps have the chance to work overtime or transition into full time?

- I was told "time and title" requirements are 30 months, before you can apply for other positions within Verizon. Is this a policy that is firmly enforeced?

- Can someone tell me about the sales and customer retention bonuses available and if they are also available for Part Timers?

- What dollar amount/percentage is each raise. I heard the raises are every 6 months?

I pray that you did not fall for the crap the recruiter gave you. Verizon landline Potomac is one of the most mismanaged offices around. Part-timers have strict goals or you will find yourself being constantly monitored. There is no sick leave...you are forced to used FMLA in a fashion that the US gov did not intend. The bonuses are lousy! The insurance, PT have to pay for it ... Contractually, full time, union workers do not. Time in entitled is strictly enforced and you have to have at least a MR, meets requirements to move out of the postion after that time period. Raises are 6 months if you did not come in at top pay! Go to VZ.com Careers, union scaled pay is there... Because access is so bad OT is a must..they have offered pt employees the opportunity to transition to full-time, but you will grow to hate it. Conservatively, over 90% of the workers hate the job, love the pay!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

kjacko in washington, District of Columbia said: I pray that you did not fall for the crap the recruiter gave you. Verizon landline Potomac is one of the most mismanaged offices around. Part-timers have strict goals or you will find yourself being constantly monitored. There is no sick leave...you are forced to used FMLA in a fashion that the US gov did not intend. The bonuses are lousy! The insurance, PT have to pay for it ... Contractually, full time, union workers do not. Time in entitled is strictly enforced and you have to have at least a MR, meets requirements to move out of the postion after that time period. Raises are 6 months if you did not come in at top pay! Go to VZ.com Careers, union scaled pay is there... Because access is so bad OT is a must..they have offered pt employees the opportunity to transition to full-time, but you will grow to hate it. Conservatively, over 90% of the workers hate the job, love the pay!

How much are average monthly bonuses for reaching your sales objectives?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

roamer09 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Hi all,
I tested and interviewed for a Residential Consultant position in
a call center in PA. I have 2 years of call center experience and
several years of retail sales. Can anyone give me an idea of what
to realistically expect in this position, such as stress level, evaluations,
and sales goals? Waiting to hear from them, and they couldn't give me
a salary figure. I am hoping to get an offer because I am looking
forward to working with Verizon. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Starting pay with no experience is $13.XX/hour and Max pay with experience and/or a 4 year degree is $28.xx/hr. You do receive raises every 6 momths until you get to top pay.

The job is stressful to some people, and others take it in stride. I can guarantee that it's different from any job experience you've ever had. It helps when you work with a fun bunch of people.

The money is decent (especially if you are at/near top pay), the benefits are great. Listening to complaning customers isn't many peoples idea of fun, but it pays the bills and then some.

Sales goals are set by the center. I was in the Potomac Center (Maryland). When I left (took the buyout in July 2010), the sales goal was around $250,000 for the month. You get like somewhere in the area of $5,000 - $6,000 points for a selling a Fios TV, Internet, and Phone bundle. My daily goal was to sell about $20,000 a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

roamer09 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Real1: Thank you very much for such an informative answer!
This has given me a much clearer picture of the job and what it involves.
I am looking for a career change at this point in time and I believe
that Verizon would be a good fit for me.

Happy New Year to you, and thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Easywriter882 in Yonkers, New York

35 months ago

k-man in Bethesda, MD said: I was just hired. My training class starts around 1/15. It is contigent on me passing a pole-climbing test which then the training will continue from there.

Best of luck, I started in 8-18-1980, retired in 10-31-2010 Saw many changes and some for the better others not so great but in the bigger scheme of things it was the best job I think a person could have. Good luck in your career, son. Safety first: no job is so important, no service is so urgent that you cant take time to be safe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Bridgewater, New Jersey

34 months ago

Chad in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Well remember that there is a pay scale and once you accept a position, its up to your manager to let you out. It's a gamble but the odds are on your side. The better job will come. But "When" is the question. You might have to relocate to get the better job. Hopefully you can move right up, But if you start low, you stay low for a while. I started High and maxed out after the 6 month probation.
If you don't know how the pay works write me back with your position and i'll tell you what you'll be making and how long it will take to max out.

I know this thread is frm eons ago, but my husband was just hired as a FIOS tech, and was wondering the same thing...would you mind inboxing me the particulars regarding pay scsle/promotion, etc. He is taking a HUGE paycut, and I guess I am just worried...

Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mart in Dallas, Georgia

34 months ago

Michelle in Bridgewater, New Jersey said: I know this thread is frm eons ago, but my husband was just hired as a FIOS tech, and was wondering the same thing...would you mind inboxing me the particulars regarding pay scsle/promotion, etc. He is taking a HUGE paycut, and I guess I am just worried...

Thanks in advance

Hi Michelle my husband worked for verizon then in our area frontier bought them,anyway top pay for fios tech i beleive is 27.00 something ..took my husband about 2 years to get to top and we struggled for a while but it was worth it !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daddy in Rochester, New York

27 months ago

Hello,

I just tested and interviewed for a technician-cell position (Troy,NY). I believe in starting from the bottom so that I can move up. What is the starting salary or salary range considering the fact that I have a 2 years network engineer experience plus Bachelors degree in business, PMP certification and a masters degree in Telecom engineering from a well known university.

How soon can I move up the ladder? the position is 6hrs away rom where I reside....I know it will pay-off.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Bilodeau in Asbury Park, New Jersey

22 months ago

What is the likelihood of Verizon selecting a candidate from a retail store for a corporate position?

I am hesitant to go back to retail after nearly 2 decades because of erratic hours and weekends, but would gladly do so for a company that would prefer hiring from within. Since my layoff last year, I took some time off and decided to pursue another degree focused on managing electronic waste. Verizon has had a few openings for this specific role, however, without the degree in hand I can not get an interview.

I have been offered a retail position that actually pays less than unemployment, and would be nearly a 70% paycut... but I would take in a heartbeat if the company truly promotes from within.

What is your experience with retail moving to corporate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VZTRUTH in New Jersey

14 months ago

mart in Dallas, Georgia said: Hi Michelle my husband worked for verizon then in our area frontier bought them,anyway top pay for fios tech i beleive is 27.00 something ..took my husband about 2 years to get to top and we struggled for a while but it was worth it !!

Michelle was being nosey. Her husband could've just inquired with a union steward about his pay and why would he accept a job offer without knowing the salary. Her husband knows everything she inquired about yet was keeping the info private as most people should, married or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VZTRUTH in New Jersey

14 months ago

Jennifer Bilodeau in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: What is the likelihood of Verizon selecting a candidate from a retail store for a corporate position?

I am hesitant to go back to retail after nearly 2 decades because of erratic hours and weekends, but would gladly do so for a company that would prefer hiring from within. Since my layoff last year, I took some time off and decided to pursue another degree focused on managing electronic waste. Verizon has had a few openings for this specific role, however, without the degree in hand I can not get an interview.

I have been offered a retail position that actually pays less than unemployment, and would be nearly a 70% paycut... but I would take in a heartbeat if the company truly promotes from within.

What is your experience with retail moving to corporate?

In order to transfer to corporate you would be required to do the following: (1) kiss up to your front line manager and corporate (2) exemplify perfect attendance and productivity (3) never take bathroom breaks (4) be the best slave possible.

VZTRUTH in New Jersey

14 months ago

Daddy in Rochester, New York said: Hello,

I just tested and interviewed for a technician-cell position (Troy,NY). I believe in starting from the bottom so that I can move up. What is the starting salary or salary range considering the fact that I have a 2 years network engineer experience plus Bachelors degree in business , PMP certification and a masters degree in Telecom engineering from a well known university.

How soon can I move up the ladder? the position is 6hrs away rom where I reside....I know it will pay-off.

Thank you!

You have a very optimistic outlook as I did when I first started in the company over 6 yrs ago. I started at the bottom but reached top pay in no time. The pay increases WERE huge. However, the new contract screwed us. More than likely you will or have begun @ top pay based on having your BA alone and experience. A few pointers: (1) constant change is inevitable in this company so be prepared for it at any moment (2) just focus on getting your paycheck every Friday and you can get through the week (3) kiss &% if you want to get over to corporate in Basking Ridge (4) always cover yourself with everyone (5) Accept your co-workers as they are

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

davebaby2@gmail.com in Tonawanda, New York

11 months ago

I worked for ma bell for 30 yrs. retired in 98 on a program called 6 and 6 . since my retirement I Have NOT received any pay increase, in my pension, since 1998. I worked at the supply depot, in buffalo, ny. I drove a tractor trailer, with a 42 box trailer, from buffalo ,ny to Syracuse ny summer winter, all yr. long up and down the highway, 5 days a week, no accident no time off. I now receive 1100.00 a month for all my hard for ma bell, which is now Verizon. It would be nice to see a increase in my pension, but still NOTHING, thanks for listening Dave

max6133 in Matawan, New Jersey

5 months ago

kjacko in washington, District of Columbia said: What this guy is not telling you is how the vast majority of the tech's are going tax exempt and most of them have the IRS breathing down their throats and bank accounts. Yeah they can make a tremendous amount of money, but not nearly that much! Those folks do not have taxes coming out of their checks each week trust me!

now how could you possible know what the vast majority of tech are doing on their taxes? because you may know of a few who does it does not mean the vast majority is doing it! I work in nj as a fios tech never turn my taxes off and average 115,000 a year for the past 4 years..stop the blanket statements..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.