seeking employment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

ann in Amissville, Virginia

92 months ago

What do you think of someone with over 25 years experience in the communications industry, apply for a job with verizon, pass the tests and interviews and not called for the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Edward in Marietta, Georgia

92 months ago

That sucks they should have given you the job i have 15 years experience in Provisioning and Circut desig for T1's and i still get that same old comment (Impressive skills but we are going to continue our search i truly believe that they say we are over quailified

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

MaBill in Brooklyn, New York

92 months ago

Edward said: That sucks they should have given you the job i have 15 years experience in Provisioning and Circut desig for T1's and i still get that same old comment (Impressive skills but we are going to continue our search i truly believe that they say we are over quailified

Remember the definition of over-qualified is too highly paid in their eyes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in fla in Bradenton, Florida

92 months ago

Same thing happen to me. They are still the same old BELL HEADS as before the breakup.Still stuck in 19th centuary management style.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

blkqueentech in Baltimore, Maryland

87 months ago

ann in Amissville, Virginia said: What do you think of someone with over 25 years experience in the communications industry, apply for a job with verizon, pass the tests and interviews and not called for the job?

Consider this, they paid their seniors (30+) years 70k just to leave in 2003...DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WANT SOMEONE WITH ONLY 10 YEARS LEFT TO REACH THAT SAME LEVEL OF WORK EXPERIENCE. They want people whom they can pay less and have the youth to get more work out of. We seniors are good at what we do because we take the time to do it right the first time. VZ would rather have newbys who take a week to do the same thing and pay them less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PeachButterfly in Haverford, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

ann in Amissville, Virginia said: What do you think of someone with over 25 years experience in the communications industry, apply for a job with verizon, pass the tests and interviews and not called for the job?

It takes Verizon a long time to call people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Barb in Spencer, Massachusetts

85 months ago

I passed all three of their tests (including what they call the interview test) and have not been called for a job. I have 17 years of call center experience. Very fustrating

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TeeJay in Norfolk, Virginia

85 months ago

Just be patient. I took the test and had interview six months ago before they called to offer me a position and then the hire date was 90 days later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dave in Newark, New Jersey

85 months ago

i just left them a month ago. you must work 55hrs a week, sun-thurs or mon-fri or tues-sat. it is never a set sched. you start at 8am and could be working until midnight each day. you could be working 6-7 days a week. it is a union job. first there is 6 months probation with verizon and then 3 more after that for the union. this is a pots job only. install/repair only. you start with vcs and maybe after 2 years reach "core" company. yes the benefits are there but only after the 6 month wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dave in Newark, New Jersey

85 months ago

oh yeah i forgot - you will go to pole climbing school and installation/maint. school as well. it is a total of 24 days, mon-fri, or about 5 weeks. it is paid for but you wait about a month to get your out of pocket expenses back. the most you will start out is $19.15. no one starts at top pay - union rule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Guy Shannon in Fresno, California

85 months ago

Man, I know just how you feel. The nolder you get, the more disrespect the younger people feel for you. I have ben a GM for yearas and the last group I worked for was enough to make my wif fear for my life. It took me over 6 months to wind down and I still have problems. I have never seen anything like it. The great number of companies today have forgotten loyalty, it doesn't mean anything to them any more. All the way to the top, all they care about is production, production, production; but they al tell you how much they respect your family and your marriage. Let's face it, we live in a world full of bull!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Been There in Mechanicsville, Virginia

84 months ago

Verizon is a wonderful company, however there is no expedition to the hiring process. The only way to get a call back is if you know someone who currently works in the company and has a direct number to the hiring manager or the HR representatives making the offers. Otherwise, you are out of luck. I too know numerous people with several years of experience, who passed all three tests and never received a returned phone call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ex Verizon Employee in Vienna, Virginia

84 months ago

That is true verizon is a great place to work maybe if they didn't call you u didn't meet the total package of what they were looking for. Don't get mad at the company just keep looking. Be Blessed Everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LOOKING TO LEAVE CINGULAR in West Orange, New Jersey

84 months ago

HEY DAVE WHY DID YOU LEAVE IF YOU WERE MAKING GOOD MONEY. IS IT WEEKLY OR BI-WEEKLY PAY. I JUST RE-APPLIED MYSELF AND SENT IN MY PAPER WORK AGAIN HOPEFULLY THEY WILL CALL ME EVEN THOUGH I DID HAVE 2 SPEEDING TICKETS 2 YERAS AGO. HEY DOES THAT COUNT AGAINST ME? 19,15 A HOUR PLUS TIME AND A HALF IS NOT BAD? DUNNO DO THE MATH....

dave in Newark, New Jersey said: i just left them a month ago. you must work 55hrs a week, sun-thurs or mon-fri or tues-sat. it is never a set sched. you start at 8am and could be working until midnight each day. you could be working 6-7 days a week. it is a union job. first there is 6 months probation with verizon and then 3 more after that for the union. this is a pots job only. install/repair only. you start with vcs and maybe after 2 years reach "core" company. yes the benefits are there but only after the 6 month wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John Davidson in Cortland, New York

84 months ago

Verizon only hire you if you are friends with someone how knows someone. You wont get a job unless you do - FACT!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

zoey in Edison, New Jersey

83 months ago

I am very sorry for your experience. I went there too, they encouraged me, even asked me to send some samples of my ppt. and excel work, and I did, then NO CALL. What a horrible company, and it sux, because we followed each and every instruction they gave us, and no common courtesy.

Again, I'm sorry you're dealing with them too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

GeekGyrrrl in LA, California

83 months ago

They didn't call you because you are too old..plain and simple. They are afraid that your medical costs will cause their premiums to go up. And I bet that the biggest reason they won't hire you is that you know way more than most of their snot-nosed upstart little 20-something brats they have running the show.

And this forum is blocking my right to free speech to say this. I keep getting the red line of text hollering at me.

I AM in America, aren't I? Or am I sadly mistaken?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt in Plano, Texas

82 months ago

They are constantly looking for people. Their mostly contracts and you know those positions are cheap because I had calls from those farmed out types in India hawking Verizon. If they're doing the head hunting then you know the position must be awful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

SeattleGirl in Seattle, Washington

82 months ago

I'm sorry, but it's just not true that you have to know someone to get in at Verizon. True it is highly competitive. When I went to test there were 60 people there for between 10 - 15 openings and that was only the first day of testing (with two more to follow). It seems they are very selective. I passed all three tests and while it took about six weeks for them to call me they just did and they offered me a job very near the high end of the wage spectrum in recognition of my 5+ years of customer service experience (not industry related mind you). Just thought I'd stick up for the place I'm going to be working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

No Verizon in Frisco, Texas

81 months ago

Kurt in Plano, Texas said: They are constantly looking for people. Their mostly contracts and you know those positions are cheap because I had calls from those farmed out types in India hawking Verizon. If they're doing the head hunting then you know the position must be awful.

I know 7 females that have interviewed for Corporate Sales at the Dallas Location over the past 3 years. The teams is 100% men. All of the females are people I've worked with in other companies over the years... They are exceptional in the exact same industry. None got the job. A Man was hired into each open position after further follow up each time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

No Verizon in Frisco, Texas

81 months ago

TeeJay in Norfolk, Virginia said: Just be patient. I took the test and had interview six months ago before they called to offer me a position and then the hire date was 90 days later.

That usually means that they hired someone else six months ago..... and either THAT person didn't work out or another person left the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tech Jobs in Frisco, Texas

81 months ago

I may have a job lead for several of you. Jobs are Nationwide as the company in many states.

SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

terry in Dyke, Virginia

81 months ago

Tech Jobs in Frisco, Texas said: I may have a job lead for several of you. Jobs are Nationwide as the company in many states.

SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

you have my attention........

Jobs in Frisco, Texas

81 months ago

I just happen to know people since I've been working with Executive C-level, Tech, non-Tech, HR and pretty much every industry on the planet for decades. They are long-term business-friends now. From that I am often ask to keep my ears open & "Do I Know of...". Essentially it's an exchange. They've done business with me before.... I help them do business now & find good people.

I have contacts Nationwide US and out of the US... primarily W. Europe & Canada. I'm not a recruiter (although perhaps I should sign-up some place!)

I'm looking for a different career direction now due to the extensive travel my type & level of work now requires. I've also ask them to keep their ears open for me. We stay in touch. 'Because' I'm looking for a new career adventure myself I've called tons of people on my own behalf & I have been told of specific opportunities... which would not work for me but should be great for the right matches.

If you will send me your info. & the type of industry and work you want to do I pass it along to appropriate matches.
SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

I call it the Good Karma theory. Help others & it draws Good Positive Energy to Me like a Magnet! Good Karma, God's Positive Energy.... I'm all for that...

isaiah24 in Brooklyn, New York

79 months ago

what kind of questions do they ask for the test? is there a way i can study?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Go to: Salary.com in Frisco, Texas

79 months ago

Don't bank your time on them. Depending on what level you are at and applying for you options are more limitied than someone younger.

At 25+ yrs of experience you are probably a bit older (as I am) than the less expensive and more compliant younger employees. Well they think younger employees are more compliant right up until they leave!

Also, I hope you are a male as several females I know with extroidinary history in communications did not get hired. A male was hired in each separate case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Z in Parsippany, New Jersey

77 months ago

I was begining to think the samething regarding age as I had 13+ years experience in telecommunications and had passed all the tests for the consultant position but kept failing the structured interview. I'm glad I did fail as I heard that the consultant position is a high pressure nightmare of a job! I didn't give up though and applied for a different position and passed the test for that job and was offered the position. If one door is shut, find another to go in.

PETE GENTILE in Alhambra, California

74 months ago

HONESTLY, THE RECRUITERS MIS-REPRESENT THE COMPANY. YOU HAVE TO BE ONE OF THE CHOSEN ONES THAT SOMEONE KNOWS. I ADVISED THE TRAIN THE TRAINER PERSON WHEN I FILLED OUT THE APPLICATION OF THE CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC HISTORY AND "SHE" TOLD ME WHAT TO WRITE. I PASSED THE 3 TESTS, PASSED THE STRUCTURED INTERVIEW AND WAS CALLED TO WORK. MIND YOU, AT EVERY STEP OF THE WAY WHEN I SPOKE TO EACH PARTY, I ADVISED OF THE TRAFFIC HISTORY AND THE CRIMINAL HISTORY(MISDEMEANOR). I EVEN TOLD THEM ALL, THE HR PERSON TOLD ME WHAT TO WRITE. HERE IS WHERE I GOT DENIED THE OPPORTUNITY! THE HIRING MANAGER TOLD ME, "SORRY, THE WORDING ON YOUR APPLICATION DOES NOT MATCH WHATS ON THE TRAFFIC/CRIMINAL RECORDS SEARCH!" SHORT OF ATTACHING A COPY OF IT TO MY APPLICATION, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT WOULD SWAY THEIR DECISION TO HIRE.

F.Y.I., THIS IS NOT THE ONLY BELL OPERATING COMPANY DOING BUSINESS THIS WAY. IT IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE. IT DOES NOT TAKE A DEGREE IN ROCKET SCIENCE TO SEE THAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO WORK 60 HOURS A WEEK AT A LOWER PAY SCALE. IF YOU WERE IN THEIR POSITION WOULD YOU NOT DO THE SAME THING?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin Z in Parsippany, New Jersey

74 months ago

I applied back in Dec of 07 and was called in Feb. But it was for a part time position. I had to leave it for a full time job at another company.

Justin Morgan in Fresno, California

74 months ago

Is this the same Guy Shannon that is Ren's dad? Please contact me @ Hobbytown if so. Thanks

Blank in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Questions for current Verizon Corporate Employees..Do Verizon Corporate employees get "work phones" to keep on them like at AT&T? Also, do Verizon reps get business cards with their work numbers and email address on them?

tothebeach in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

SeattleGirl in Seattle, Washington said: I'm sorry, but it's just not true that you have to know someone to get in at Verizon. True it is highly competitive. When I went to test there were 60 people there for between 10 - 15 openings and that was only the first day of testing (with two more to follow). It seems they are very selective. I passed all three tests and while it took about six weeks for them to call me they just did and they offered me a job very near the high end of the wage spectrum in recognition of my 5+ years of customer service experience (not industry related mind you). Just thought I'd stick up for the place I'm going to be working.

Yes but you only have 5 years of service. som of us have more. And anytime you have an inside connection it is helpful

tothebeach in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

it sucks I am in the same boat

beginagainla in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

Most of us have figured out by now that experience is no longer the top criteria for landing a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LAUREN in Klamath Falls, Oregon

14 months ago

that has been going on with me also. dont feel alone................... there are sooooooooooooooASoooooooooooooo many people out of work more people than there are jobs and truthfully i think they want someone who is inexperienced I see it every day. I have been looking for work for four years,,,,, IVE RAN OUT OF TIME MONEY TIRES GAS,,,, RENTALS,,,,,,, MASCARA CLOTHES AND WONDER WHY THERE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY SUICIDES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, WHAT DO THEY WANT US TO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... EVEN WENT AND GOT MY DENTAL ASST AND CANT GET WORK. i WONDER HOW IT IS IN THE CITIES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, FOR WORK......

LAUREN in Klamath Falls, Oregon

14 months ago

tothebeach in Los Angeles, California said: Yes but you only have 5 years of service. som of us have more. And anytime you have an inside connection it is helpful

YES ITS WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO U KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

bluemail83 in Beachwood, New Jersey

3 months ago

I applied and passed the required tests with flying colors and then it was the live interview, 2 guys sat down with these premade handbooks asked me questions about in previous work histories blah blah blah. Answered them and denied me. I have over 10 years of IT and previously worked for Comcast Business IP support and did great but verizon didnt hire me?? haha

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.