Vitas Innovative Hospice Care News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Vitas Innovative Hospice Care stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Atlanta, Georgia

88 months ago

No one in their right mind would work for this company. It thrives on back-biting and back-stabbing and chaos.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy Mae in San Bernardino, California

87 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

Vitas Hospice care is only concerned about the bottom dollar and numbers, NOT ABOUT THE CARE OF PATIENTS> ITS A NUMBERS GAME, quanity not Quality

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous2 in Kennesaw, Georgia

87 months ago

This is company that definitely thrives on numbers, the retention in the last six months is ridiculous. I don't see VITAS surviving here in Atlanta unless they start valuing the employees that have chosen to stick around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

DOLORES in San Diego, California

86 months ago

I WORKED FOR THIS COM 2 OR 3 YEARS AGO AND MY MANAGER IS SO PROFESSIONAL HELPFUL AND SUPPORTIVE AND THEY PROVIDE QUALITY CARE AND THEY REAALY LOOK AFTER THIER PATIENT THEY CHANGE LEVEL OF CARE IF THE PATIENT NEED IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Fort Worth, Texas

85 months ago

I work at VITAS in Dallas, and completed an internship at Fort Worth. VITAS is a great place to work. Being one of the largest hospices in the nation, they have more resources to help their patients, and they really do care about providing the right level of care to their patients. I don't know about other areas, but VITAS is a respected name around here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

AngryAtVitas in Florida

84 months ago

DO NOT WORK FOR VITAS. Some offices might be better than others, but the corporate mentality of money over people is the same throughout the company. They would rather kill their employees to make a profit than do what is right by them. The clinch is that the employees have a sense of mission towards the patients and families, so the fact that they are treated like crap rarely gets taken out on the families and patients. I am planning to leave ASAP. I cannot tell you how angry we all feel on a daily basis. They underpay, over work, and disregard the safety of their employees if they can get away with it. All their so called "values" do not hold up time and time again. STAY AWAY! Corporate has no idea what goes on in the field, and the fat cats sitting in that ivory tower could care less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Ishie in paris, Texas

77 months ago

shirlees in Sacramento, California said: I've worked for Vitas as well as small community-based hospices, and all of them get to the bottom line ($$$) way to quickly. End of life care in this country, like the rest of the health care system, is simply too money driven.

Check out Crossroads Hospices headquartered in Tulsa, OK. I think you'll change your mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

GEORGIA in Columbia, Missouri

76 months ago

Robin in Fort Worth, Texas said: I work at VITAS in Dallas, and completed an internship at Fort Worth. VITAS is a great place to work. Being one of the largest hospices in the nation, they have more resources to help their patients, and they really do care about providing the right level of care to their patients. I don't know about other areas, but VITAS is a respected name around here.

WHEN YOU ARE IN THE FIELD YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT WHAT GOES ON AT THE CORPORATE LEVELS, ONLY WHEN THEY WANT YOU OUT WILL YOU REALLY FIND OUT WHAT THEY ARE ALL ABOUT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CNM

72 months ago

i WORK FOR THE VITAS IPU IN CINCI ON A 14 BED UNIT. I LOVE MY JOB. ABOUT 6 MOS AFTER WE OPENED OUR UNIT, THEY CLOSED A SISTER UNIT & FIRED ALL OUR NURSING ASSISTANTS. tHEN OUR NURSING STAFF WAS CUT TO 2 PER SHIFT. WE WORK HARD, BUT I FEEL THAT CARE HAS BEEN SEVERELY COMPROMISED. LIKE SO MANY OTHER CORPS TODAY, I THINK THEY ARE EXPERIENCING FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CNM

72 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

I WORK FOR VITAS IPU IN CINCI. OUR UNIT WAS OPENED ABOUT 11 MOS AGO. ABOUT 6 MOS AGO, OUR NURSING ASSISTANTS WERE FIRED, AND OUR RN RATIO WAS CUT TO 2 PER SHIFT. WE HOUSE 14 AND TAKE PATIENT'S STILL ON RESPIRATORS. WE WORK VERY HARD. I ALSO FEEL IN THE PROCESS, CARE HAS BEEN COMPROMISED. LIKE SO MANY OTHER CORPORATIONS, I THINK VITAS MUST BE HAVING SOME FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES. IT IS TOO BAD. I REALLY DO LOVE WHAT I AM DOING. IT IS THE ONLY JOB I HAVE HAD IN WHICH I FEEL LIKE I MAKE A SMALL DIFFERENCE. AS I AM GETTING OLDER, I DO NOT FEEL LIKE I CAN CONTINUE THIS HEAVY WORK ;OAD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Debra in Mount Dora, Florida

54 months ago

This is what I know about Vitas................When I was diagnoised with Breast Ca.a few years ago, I was treated with the up most respect and compassion. They did every they could to accomendate me----with time off, days off after I came back,they made a point not to give me patients that were actively dying from Breast Ca.and when I was so distraught about money, food, gas card to get to the doctors, Chemo, radiation........they sent this social worker--a wonderful woman.....TO MY HOME..........to talk to me, gave me information for state help, county help----food bank list---and yes..even a gift certificate for Publix. You can't imagine how much this has meant to me.In all my years of Nursing--35--I have never exsperienced this---Usually, they try to find a way to get you out the door, lose your insurance and stress you out---am I right????? Now, I'm not saying that they are perfect---they're are some problems.....and I pray that someone at the top, realizes how important good Nurses, CNA's, Etc., are to the patients and there families and to the success of this company. Not just "anyone" can make this company shine. Last night at work, a staff nurse told me of an incident with another Hospice, where a patient had passed away---she called the hospice to see if someone could come to talk to the family, as they were very upset-----this Hospice said they didn't have anybody to send on the weekend. Didn't care--didn't do anything!!!I have heard so many of these stories, regarding other Hospices. Vitas is well respected---still---And I hope and pray that the head of this organization realizes this. I am truley sorry for those of you who have had bad experiences. Good luck to all of you--DT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

by any name in Phoenix, Arizona

53 months ago

AngryAtVitas in Florida said: DO NOT WORK FOR VITAS. Some offices might be better than others, but the corporate mentality of money over people is the same throughout the company. They would rather kill their employees to make a profit than do what is right by them. The clinch is that the employees have a sense of mission towards the patients and families, so the fact that they are treated like crap rarely gets taken out on the families and patients. I am planning to leave ASAP. I cannot tell you how angry we all feel on a daily basis. They underpay, over work, and disregard the safety of their employees if they can get away with it. All their so called "values" do not hold up time and time again. STAY AWAY! Corporate has no idea what goes on in the field, and the fat cats sitting in that ivory tower could care less.

I would have to agree that many hospices are not ethical when it comes to their employees. Solari Hospice has the same culture as Vitas; although I experienced one of there steps lower then Vitas. I was given a recommendation to a company physicians (under contract) spouse; whom gave a false diagnosis that would have brought the physician thousands of dollars!!! Well, for my daughter it would have made her an invalid at the age of 30 :>( Now this is really poor ethics to the extreme.....so now I know Solari has many ways of gaining hospice patients. It horrifies my sensibility to ponder how many other patients are set up this way.....my daughter was "one of the lucky ones" because she sought out a second option from a neurologist with a "real" medical degree from the United States.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mistral in Palm Desert, California

47 months ago

Anonymous in Atlanta, Georgia said: No one in their right mind would work for this company. It thrives on back-biting and back-stabbing and chaos.

I agree wholeheartedly - they thrive on creating fear, mistrust, and are entirely dysfunctional. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY! There is no respect for nursing staff and all the propaganda from corporate is in direct opposition to what actually happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sonoma2 in Sacramento, California

47 months ago

Anonymous2 in Kennesaw, Georgia said: This is company that definitely thrives on numbers, the retention in the last six months is ridiculous. I don't see VITAS surviving here in Atlanta unless they start valuing the employees that have chosen to stick around.

In one office the turnover was 99% almost continually all do to poor management and lack of care of the companies greatest asset - their staff. Staff who began enthusiastically left feeling there was no way they could change the chain of command top down hierarchical system that is perpetuated causing staff to be discouraged and eventually to disengage from their work. Instead of the compassion one hoped to find in hospice there was fear, retribution, harassment, and mismanagement and nothing was done about it. The best staff left continually.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

rumples in San Diego, California

23 months ago

I've worked for this company for many years. Morale has gone way done ever since Roto Rooter bought it out. They don't care about the employees anymore and not that much about the patients/clients. It's all about money and profit which don't belong in a hospice organization. Such a shame. The higher ups get raises the working staff gets zilch. Some of us haven't had a raise in four or five years or more. It's great work for a lousy company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Fairfield, California

12 months ago

Vitas is overall a great company but I think alot of it has to do with your supervisor. I work at the vitas in walnut creek and I love it. But this is a money driven company and there is a huge turnover. The patients and families come first not the employees, it doesn't matter if your suffering management could care less about how you feel. Truthfully, the employees take care of the patients and the families so really management should care for the employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Fairfield, California

12 months ago

Do not work for vitas, they management sucks! I am leaving soon, there is alot of disrespect here. Management treat the employees like crap, as if they are not human. It's very stressful to work in this environment I am so happy that I'm leaving! Their turnover is very high for the psychosocial team. There are three new managers in our management team and they do not know what the hell they are doing. It's so sad that vitas doesn't have good training for their managers, it's very sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.