Becoming a Walmart Manager

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Unloader/inventory associate in Dekalb, Illinois

58 months ago

If you have a 4 year degree DO NOT accept a job at the bottom with WalMart. They will treat you as if you never had a degree and work you as if you were one of the regular dummies. I know. I took anything and thought they would recognize my degree and experience in time. They do not. They recognize their friends and promote them. You end up working for someone with no leadership talent whatsoever. They walk around texting all day while you do the work. Walmart is not a good company to work for. I wish I had the scoop on them before I wasted 8 months hoping they would help me up the ladder.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

dcrespo216 in Allentown, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Some people had badSuperviseth Walmart and some people just excel quickly. I believe you should just start from the bottom working hard and giving it your all. I got hired in late March 2013 as a regular unloader. Less then 2 months later I became a ICS at Walmart. Inventory Control Supervisor. And for people who are trashing Walmart, you must have been a crappy worker because I knew no one at all. I was no ones friend. They just saw how ambitious I was. And in 6 months I'm going for the assistant manager position. Great company just hard work. No room for slackers.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

dee in Perkins, Oklahoma

51 months ago

For the record you do not need a college degree to enter the AM program. I have been at Walmart for almost a year and a half and am currently IMS supervisor. I am entering the AM program next month and have no degree. Maybe an outsider coming in it would help but it is absolutely not a requirement.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

hector in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

Unloader/inventory associate in Dekalb, Illinois said: If you have a 4 year degree DO NOT accept a job at the bottom with WalMart. They will treat you as if you never had a degree and work you as if you were one of the regular dummies. I know. I took anything and thought they would recognize my degree and experience in time. They do not. They recognize their friends and promote them. You end up working for someone with no leadership talent whatsoever. They walk around texting all day while you do the work. Walmart is not a good company to work for. I wish I had the scoop on them before I wasted 8 months hoping they would help me up the ladder.

So true !

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Tonya123 in Vancouver, British Columbia

34 months ago

dcrespo216 in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: Some people had badSuperviseth Walmart and some people just excel quickly. I believe you should just start from the bottom working hard and giving it your all. I got hired in late March 2013 as a regular unloader. Less then 2 months later I became a ICS at Walmart. Inventory Control Supervisor. And for people who are trashing Walmart, you must have been a crappy worker because I knew no one at all. I was no ones friend. They just saw how ambitious I was. And in 6 months I'm going for the assistant manager position. Great company just hard work. No room for slackers.

hi im just curious how you are liking it and where you see yourself? store manager role eventually? what are you likes dislikes about being an assistant store manager?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Alexandria, Virginia

22 months ago

Hello! Ive been with the company before where I've been a DM. I later left but now i"m back with Walmart and it's been a little over 6 months now since. I am trying too get into the AM program but keep getting different stories about the process. I have applied to various stores through the wire for "managers in training" but what exactly do they mean when they say apply for the program? How does the process work? Do you just apply and wait to hear back or should I be calling to get updates?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Vanilla Bean in Alexandria, Louisiana

21 months ago

Jess in Alexandria, Virginia said: Hello! Ive been with the company before where I've been a DM. I later left but now i"m back with Walmart and it's been a little over 6 months now since. I am trying too get into the AM program but keep getting different stories about the process. I have applied to various stores through the wire for "managers in training" but what exactly do they mean when they say apply for the program? How does the process work? Do you just apply and wait to hear back or should I be calling to get updates?

It's a assistant manager traniee program you have to complete before becoming assistant manager. it's 4-5 weeks and it just goes over eveything that needs to be done in the store. you dont have to have a degree to be an assistant manager, support manager, ims manager. just the right skills and mindframe.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Curious in ohio in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

10 months ago

Vanilla Bean in Alexandria, Louisiana said: It's a assistant manager traniee program you have to complete before becoming assistant manager. it's 4-5 weeks and it just goes over eveything that needs to be done in the store. you dont have to have a degree to be an assistant manager, support manager, ims manager. just the right skills and mindframe.

I applied to Manager in training position and was wonder how long does it take for them to get back to you to let you know you've made it into the program? I do not work for Wal-Mart currently and hAve no degree

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

8 months ago

dcrespo216 in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: Some people had badSuperviseth Walmart and some people just excel quickly. I believe you should just start from the bottom working hard and giving it your all. I got hired in late March 2013 as a regular unloader. Less then 2 months later I became a ICS at Walmart. Inventory Control Supervisor. And for people who are trashing Walmart, you must have been a crappy worker because I knew no one at all. I was no ones friend. They just saw how ambitious I was. And in 6 months I'm going for the assistant manager position. Great company just hard work. No room for slackers.

Hey I'm kind of in the same situation as you were when you posted this and was just wondering if you can give me some tips on how you moved foward after this. I've only been with them two months and I'm a department manager and hopefully going to get support soon. What did you do to move up fast?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

on-guard in Ticonderoga, New York

5 months ago

In my store there are no associates on the floor to help people find items. It's like some kind of strange warehouse. In my store if you want to be an assistant manager or any management position, there is only one simple rule: YOU MUST BE A TOTAL MORON and EXTREMELY LAZY. In my store, all the managers hide in the back during the day like vampires hiding from the light. You can never find any of them. They do come out, however; when the company sends someone to inspect the store then they are in line like a bunch of ants being busy all the time as if to put on a show for the district manager or whomever big shot shows up.

The company is always worried about shrinkage. I got a solution for them. They can save $500,000+ in my store just by firing some of these assistant managers that hide and sleep all day long.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.