Wal-Mart Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 128)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Wal-Mart?

What do you like best about working at Wal-Mart? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

that girl in Cleveland, Ohio

87 months ago

As of April 2007, most floor associates start out at $7.30/hr.

DO NOT LET THEM TRICK YOU INTO STICKING AT THE REGISTER DURING A CODE C (Attention all Wal*Mart Associates! At this time, we do have a code c! We need all register trained associates to the front end!)

The reason I say this is because W*M cashiers get paid $2 more per hour! You're doing their job for them and you're not getting paid what you should (unless you're full time, which most associates aren't)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (328) / No (220) Reply - Report abuse

Helen Johnson in La Puente, California

87 months ago

I need to be working like yesterday

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (119) / No (171) Reply - Report abuse

general in Memphis, Tennessee

86 months ago

How much do a Store Manager at a supercenter make & a Customer Service Manager. And do Walmart have Assistant Managers over zones of the store and how much do they make like, Assistant Store Manager-Softlines, Assistant Store Manager-Hardlines, Assistant Store Manager-General Merchandise, Assistant Store Manager-Operations or Co-Manager make??????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (672) / No (194) Reply - Report abuse

a friend in Vandalia, Ohio

86 months ago

general in Memphis, Tennessee said: How much do a Store Manager at a supercenter make & a Customer Service Manager. And do Walmart have Assistant Managers over zones of the store and how much do they make like, Assistant Store Manager-Softlines, Assistant Store Manager-Hardlines, Assistant Store Manager-General Merchandise, Assistant Store Manager-Operations or Co-Manager make??????????????

Different wages. My mom worked as Cash Office Manager and made 18.00 a hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (147) / No (76) Reply - Report abuse

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

80 months ago

WHAT IS THE SALARY RANGE FOR A STARTING ASSISTANT MANAGER AT WAL-MART? THANK YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (509) / No (146) Reply - Report abuse

Phyllis in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

I will never ever spend any money in a wal-mart......ever. Or Sam's and I've told my friends, family and every cashier I do business with to boycott WalMart! They are not good for America. Target is better even though they're owned by the French. Don't patronize Walmart!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (110) / No (355) Reply - Report abuse

5th in Fort Worth, Texas

78 months ago

I have worked at Wal-Hell for 7 years. I fought my way up from grunt to meat dept manager. Now im going into the manager trainee program to be an assiant manager. I have been cussed at, punnished for standing up for my self, My hours changed and lowered to force me to quit. I did not. I fought them and worked my self to the bone for I take pride in my work even if does not take pride in me. I now have the best meat market in my district and I make around 17 an hour. That will double soon. What I am saying is the way that place works is "if your lazy and do good one day you have improved" "If you bust your butt and slow down for a day because your burnt and its your friday and you had to take a five hour lunch to burn overtime, your productivity has gone down" but the first you stay where you are, the later you start making the big money if you can handle the abuse. Not realy a good thing but if you can take it then it will be. Its the worst job Ive ever loved..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (255) / No (113) Reply - Report abuse

burntout in Paducah, Kentucky

78 months ago

amen to that!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (78) Reply - Report abuse

Kenny W in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

general in Memphis, Tennessee said: How much do a Store Manager at a supercenter make & a Customer Service Manager. And do Walmart have Assistant Managers over zones of the store and how much do they make like, Assistant Store Manager-Softlines, Assistant Store Manager-Hardlines, Assistant Store Manager-General Merchandise, Assistant Store Manager-Operations or Co-Manager make??????????????

A store manager's salary ranges from $80-$110K/yr, depending on sales volume. A customer service manager could make maybe $10-$12/hr. Asst Mgrs start at $43K/yr and cap at $63K. CoMgrs base is $65K/yr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (204) / No (52) Reply - Report abuse

Kenny W in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York said: WHAT IS THE SALARY RANGE FOR A STARTING ASSISTANT MANAGER AT WAL-MART? THANK YOU.

Asst Mgr starting salary now is $43K as of 2007.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

sweetart in lil' town in, Hawaii

74 months ago

that girl in Cleveland, Ohio said: As of April 2007, most floor associates start out at $7.30/hr.

DO NOT LET THEM TRICK YOU INTO STICKING AT THE REGISTER DURING A CODE C (Attention all Wal*Mart Associates! At this time, we do have a code c! We need all register trained associates to the front end!)

The reason I say this is because W*M cashiers get paid $2 more per hour! You're doing their job for them and you're not getting paid what you should (unless you're full time, which most associates aren't)

Wow, that's so negative..and false. They are just one pay class above you, as someone has posted and you work for Wal Mart...plain and simple. Customer service should be a team effort. If those customers don't get checked out and get frustrated and walk out because the lines are soooo long guess who that affects? You! There goes your bonus...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (97) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

stacy kane in Las Vegas, Nevada

74 months ago

started as sales associate 9.30 phr
.60 raise 3 months, .40 raise 12 months, 1.10 raise promotion to department manager. .50 raise annual. now at 11.90.
9.3 was top pay for sales associate 2 years ago in vegas, what about your area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Phyllis in Fort Collins, Colorado

74 months ago

Kenny W in Jacksonville, Florida said: And WHY is Wal-Mart bad for America???? I've got to hear this.

WalMart is BAD For America!! They sell crap and treat their employees like crap. Some butt kissers can work well there.....maybe, until a new manager steps in to disrupt their little crap world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (162) Reply - Report abuse

Engineering bailout in Denton, Texas

68 months ago

gojohnnygo in Kansas said: I have been reading the Walmart threads because I am trying to get a job there. I love doing manual labor and like to get along with people in a team sort of way.

I was layed off from the engineering field last Dec due to economic reasons(employer lacked orders and was forced to lay off - common in my field and this is probably the 4th time in 25 years for me). The engineering field is not all bed and roses. You sit behind a computer all day and tend to go stir crazy. Co-workers can be very critical of each other, often times come off as condensing know it alls, and very hard to get along with on a personal level. It all cycles into low morale creating an non-productive enviroment. I'm sure my inabilty to sit behind a computer all day and get along with know it alls while remaining a happy camper has some to do with me on the layoff lists.

I'm curious if working at Walmart means getting to work with people who are easy to get along with. I mean do you guys meet after work for some fun? Stuff like that? That to me means a productive enviroment.

I'm in the engineering field as well and I'm looking for a career change as well. I could have written your post myself. Good luck in your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

katiejonsie in Marrero, Louisiana

65 months ago

I've worked for Wal-Mart four years and I earn almost $12.00 an hour. Im in school and that is the only reason i stick it out. I hate my job. The customers are the boss and can talk to you like crap, but you have to take shut up and take it. The managers are also very rude and will fire anyone over any little thing. I have personally seen wemon get fired because men flirt and they refuse to flirt back, so it becomes a customer complaint. Also, there is so much butt kissing that its simply ridiculous. This particular company will use you then trow you away, like trash. Wal-Mart is a career strickly for under acheivers who don't have high school diplomas because they don't need an education to move up. Many associates are friendly, but it's the customers,management, and company rules that make this job undesirable. If you want a life time of being talked down to by customers and management, working every weekend, threated at every moment to be fired (due to your availability, sick time, opinions, ect.), scratching and struggling to move up and stay up in the company, being physically drained every day, and not appreciated then walmart the career for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (105) / No (54) Reply - Report abuse

easymoney5000 in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

I been with WAL*MART for 1 year. I started as a tech in TLE with no experience. My pay $8.20 I was promoted to Service Manager after 2 months. I got a 80 cent raise. When I got the position our bay time was right over an hour per vehicle and our add on sales were almost non existent! After a month our bay time was at 22 minutes and our add on sales were at 19% month to date. We were never recognized for our improvement! I just got my evaluation. I was told that I only meet expectations because of bay time and add on sales. My store has one of the best baytimes and add on percentage in the market! I was only given a 40 cent raise! THE IMPROVEMENTS MADE IN OUR SHOP OVER THE PAST YEAR HAVE MADE WALMART THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS A DAY! I DESERVE MORE THAN 40 CENTS PER HOUR RAISE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

camilia in Corpus Christi, Texas

64 months ago

I have been with wal-mart for over 25 years. I used to really believe in the company and their beliefs. Walmart does spend a lot of time and money to do good for their communites. However I do believe all these horror stories are true-I have seen it. I dont think associates are being treated fairly. The field pay classes with caps suck!!!! Taking pay away from associates sucks!!! You can actually have 30 above standard evaluations in your personnel file and never get another raise!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Poyser in Saint Louis, Missouri

62 months ago

AllyO in Arizona said: First of all, I have to say that no one can make you go into debt other than yourself. If you are so unhappy at a job, then leave! It's very frustrating when people act like their jobs are holding them hostage. You can leave at any point that you want. You have that choice. You had the choice to apply for a job, interview for it, accept the job, and continue working there. So why stay if you're so miserable?

And just an FYI for anyone who is that ignorant...but Target is not owned by the french. It was started and still is an American based company. It was started by two brothers, which originally started Hudson's/Marshall Fields, and eventually Target. Some people will believe anything that gets spread on the internet...do your research.

Well first of all you can go in debt faster than you think and it may be no fault of your own! Try not working for 6 months after your employer closes and live on unemployment and see how out of debt you are allyo ! I made over 50 grand a year and can't find fulltime employment! Now my wife is unemployed also we made a combined income of almost 80 grand a year with 3 children under the age of 6 it's really tight! Welcome to the real world ! I had a union job before we closed ! I hear a lot of unions bash walmart but bottom line is i have to feed my family ! My union with the exception of our local lodge, did very little at the international rep. level but raise our dues and garuantee us a 3% raise every year of our contract ! There are good unions out there don't get me wrong but most have become big businesses with coporate greed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Sarjahm in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

Wal Mart seems a good place to work. Often I see workers on break, enjoying a smoke. Sometimes I've seen the men have a good old fashioned arse slapping on the women, but I'm sure all in fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

my opinion matters in Lakeland, Florida

60 months ago

jdh428 in Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania said: OK You have your MBA and you can't spell for crap and do not even remember the position you interviewed for? WOW, you wasted your money........

You are so right JDH428. I was just thinking the same thing. lmao!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Retired3 in malone, Texas

58 months ago

Retired3 in malone, Texas said: I just retired from WM my store starts sales associate with no work experience @ 7.80 per hour.

I worked at WM 11 1/2 years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Tim

48 months ago

NIcholas Owen Harris in Nashville, Tennessee said: Actually store managers can see closer to $200k anually

What would the salary be for a store manager in the New York / New Jersey area, let's say volume of between 35 million and 60 million?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

I Heart Walmart in Many, Louisiana

48 months ago

Oh... and I have received 2 raises so far. Both have been above average. Though I know how to rate high in a job as a cashier, and a job as a electronics sales associate... I am still trying to figure out the problem solving techniques that woudl make me a good leader.

:-)

I hope my post helps others the way that 5th, GraySkyGuy, Steve Walker... and Retired 3 helped me.

No job will give more to you then what you put into it. A buisness that does otherwise will not stay successful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

QM2 Tilly in Parkman, Ohio

46 months ago

I was recently hired as a cashier at Walmart and despite my previous reservations, I'm rather optimistic. I've been out of work since July and am happy to finally be earning an income again, as well as working third shift which better accommodates my children's school schedule and eliminates the need to pay for babysitters/daycare. I can sleep while the kids are at school and they're in bed by the time I leave for work. Sure, I'm not making what I used to, but the cut in daycare expenses helps a great deal. Plus, the store is much closer than the 40 minute commute I used to make. Also, I don't have to deal with higher ups who have no clue or don't care what it means to have children, let alone consider how costly and frustrating it is to maintain a 9-5 job with kids in grade school! Not all of us can afford to be stay at home Mom's!

There's a lot of room to move up within the company, something that I've always found difficult in smaller organizations. I'm a Navy Vet, and I loved the continual advancement opportunities that were available, so long as you followed the rules and exceeded the status quo. You don't always find that in the corporate arena and advancement usually would mean an advanced education, or having to move from one company to the next. With the recent job market, not having a degree can really hurt you, but having one can't guarantee a job either; and I can't justify getting into a huge debt for an education that may not pay off. After reading the posts about salaries for managerial positions, I'm pleasantly surprised and think I might actually give it a chance. Sure, it sucks being the new guy, and you have your butt kissers, your malcontents, etc. Those are everywhere, and in every work environment. What I do know: Walmart pays better than a nearby factory for entry level third-shift positions, and they have no Union involvement. They can't be all bad. I just wish I had considered it sooner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

ugh336 in Ash Flat, Arkansas

42 months ago

I've been working for Wal-Mart for nearly six years. Started out as an overnight dairy stocker. In less than two years became dairy department manager. In less than another two years I applied for a store planning position and became a Field Project Supervisor (salaried with per diem and great yearly bonus) on remodels. It's been another two years and I decided that was enough traveling for me, so I applied for the assistant program when an opening came up at my home store. Just Friday I was offered the position. In the end I'll probably make less total pay as an assistant than what I get now, but I'll be home and there's no place . . . You can make a good living once you get into salaried management and if you work hard and follow policy you can advance quickly. Working conditions will vary from store to store. For me, the company has been great. I have teaching degrees and a long time ago worked for UPS. It's not a place for slackers, complainers or people who just live to be negative. I'm very happy to be where I am with this company and would honestly recommend it to anyone willing to work and learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Lynx in New Iberia, Louisiana

40 months ago

general in Memphis, Tennessee said: How much do a Store Manager at a supercenter make & a Customer Service Manager. And do Walmart have Assistant Managers over zones of the store and how much do they make like, Assistant Store Manager-Softlines, Assistant Store Manager-Hardlines, Assistant Store Manager-General Merchandise, Assistant Store Manager-Operations or Co-Manager make??????????????

Hello:
I was a Store Mgr for WM until last year. I lived for that company, but I noticed that the company did no longer lived for their associates.
The Store Mgr Salaries vary depending on the store volume. I noticed some people published some numbers that are closed to the real ones but it seems that they heard them from someone else.
Now you get to hear this form the horse's mouth (Who made most of those salaries).
Store Mgr <$40 million $73,000/yr
Store Mgr $40-$80 million $88,000/yr
Store Mgr >$80 million $104.000/yr
the bonuses vary by tier if you do threshold of your plan (95% avg), plan (100%), Max(102.5%) and Super Max (105%).
These bonuses also vary depending on your pay scale, for example a Store Mgr under 40 million will have a Super Max (105 % performance ) of 85% of the salary, while the $40-$80 will have 105% and the over $80 will have $115% (Thats a bonus of 119,000 approx taxed at a 41%).
The values vary by metro locations, if you work at a nationallly considered metropolitan area you make $10,000 more per year and you are eligible for RPZ (Regional Pay Zone) for cost of living.
Shift Mgrs (Formerly Co Mgrs) Make $60,000 per year non metro and $65,000 per year metro with a super max bonus of 45%.
Asst Mgrs start at $38,000 and are able to get raises till they reach $54,500 with a super max bonus of $15%.
I began my career as overnight stocker and unloader while attending college. Once I graduated I became an ASM (back them the salaries began at 32),then Co and Store Mgr. I stayed 10 years and moved on to other ventures.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (116) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Lynx in New Iberia, Louisiana

40 months ago

NIcholas Owen Harris in Nashville, Tennessee said: Actually store managers can see closer to $200k anually

Yes, but that is if you make your bonus to the super max. You will get $219,000. If not you will live with $104,000 if you are at a high volume store....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lynx in New Iberia, Louisiana

40 months ago

I Heart Walmart in Many, Louisiana said: Oh... and I have received 2 raises so far. Both have been above average. Though I know how to rate high in a job as a cashier, and a job as a electronics sales associate... I am still trying to figure out the problem solving techniques that woudl make me a good leader.

:-)

I hope my post helps others the way that 5th, GraySkyGuy, Steve Walker... and Retired 3 helped me.

No job will give more to you then what you put into it. A buisness that does otherwise will not stay successful!

You show Many Louisiana as your location. Did you work for Phil? I heard he had left the company no long ago. Good man right there....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Lynx in New Iberia, Louisiana

40 months ago

Lynx in New Iberia, Louisiana said: Hello:
I was a Store Mgr for WM until last year. I lived for that company, but I noticed that the company did no longer lived for their associates.
The Store Mgr Salaries vary depending on the store volume. I noticed some people published some numbers that are closed to the real ones but it seems that they heard them from someone else.
Now you get to hear this form the horse's mouth (Who made most of those salaries).
Store Mgr <$40 million $73,000/yr
Store Mgr $40-$80 million $88,000/yr
Store Mgr >$80 million $104.000/yr
the bonuses vary by tier if you do threshold of your plan (95% avg), plan (100%), Max(102.5%) and Super Max (105%).
These bonuses also vary depending on your pay scale, for example a Store Mgr under 40 million will have a Super Max (105 % performance ) of 85% of the salary, while the $40-$80 will have 105% and the over $80 will have $115% (Thats a bonus of 119,000 approx taxed at a 41%).
The values vary by metro locations, if you work at a nationallly considered metropolitan area you make $10,000 more per year and you are eligible for RPZ (Regional Pay Zone) for cost of living.
Shift Mgrs (Formerly Co Mgrs) Make $60,000 per year non metro and $65,000 per year metro with a super max bonus of 45%.
Asst Mgrs start at $38,000 and are able to get raises till they reach $54,500 with a super max bonus of $15%.
I began my career as overnight stocker and unloader while attending college. Once I graduated I became an ASM (back them the salaries began at 32),then Co and Store Mgr. I stayed 10 years and moved on to other ventures.

I would like to tell everyone that if you become a good Walmart Store Mgr (It is not hard to get there, but to give you an idea, I was the only one out of my first store who made it, and I was either the first or second out of the other stores that I worked while moving up) your doors open to other jobs...this is true..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lynx in New Iberia, Louisiana

40 months ago

Lynx in New Iberia, Louisiana said: I would like to tell everyone that if you become a good Walmart Store Mgr (It is not hard to get there, but to give you an idea, I was the only one out of my first store who made it, and I was either the first or second out of the other stores that I worked while moving up) your doors open to other jobs...this is true..

I dont walk over water, but I am trying to say that it is not hard to get there but it requires a lot of sacrifices, all those stores were I was the first or second to become Store Mgr ever had been open for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Carson in Peoria, Arizona

40 months ago

Lynx in New Iberia, Louisiana said: I dont walk over water, but I am trying to say that it is not hard to get there but it requires a lot of sacrifices, all those stores were I was the first or second to become Store Mgr ever had been open for years.

Hi,

Could you tell me what kind of hours one could expect to work as a store or club manager? Days per week and hours per day and week total hours? Thank you as this was really helpful to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

infants/girls supercenter Dept manager in Whittier, California

40 months ago

Anybody who understands this comment works at walmart. If you dont understand it then you might not have worked there long enough. I have worked at 3 different walmarts in 3 differents states and well it seems to be the trend for walmart in general.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

infants/girls supercenter Dept manager in Whittier, California

40 months ago

Sarah Swanson in Topeka, Kansas said: a CDL is a Commercial Driver's License. It's what you need to drive a semi truck.

I am currently a cashier in Kansas, but plan to move to the Tampa Fl area this summer. What do cashiers make down there?

Pretty much the same as you do in Kansas. The base rate hardly changes in the same title because federal minimum wage is the same all over

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

infants/girls supercenter Dept manager in Whittier, California

40 months ago

Eddie in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I just got hired by Walmart and I will be doing dairy on 3rd shift 10-7
I am just looking to be productive & stay busy....I'm 47 and have had higher paying jobs to only have them shut down.

I hope it's everything I think it CAN & COULD be.
Sure....I would like to make as much money as possible if the opportunity is there for me.

Anyone else ever work dairy / frozen goods stocking shelves ?
Any pointers ?
I also love being able to transfer to another store if need be.

Even though walmart can be a good company to work for it is always
1. Who you know, not what you know (sometimes the laziest of people get pushed up because they are good at people skills)
2. Walmart is still a business SAM WALTONS dead, business man says more bang for your buck.
3. Always remeber that your manager is right and everything they think you can do or want you to do is right so the I can do it plays a huge role in your part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

brownk1291 in West Sacramento, California

40 months ago

Walmart has levels of pay from 1-7.

Level 1: $8.00 - cart pushers, People Greeters, and Fitting Room Associates

Level 2: $8.20 - Maintenance Associates

Level 3: $8.40 - Cahsiers, Instock

Level 4: $8.60 - Sales Associates

Level 5: unknown

Level 6: $9.30 - CSM/CSS, Merchandise Supervisor/Department MGR, Personnel

Level 7: $9.70 - Asset Protection Agent, etc

Assistant MGR - $40-45,000 salary

CO-MGR: $72-75,000 salary

Store MGR: $95-110,000 salary

You get a 90-day evaluation with no raise. Then an annual evaluation which ranges from .40-.60¢ depending on your work ethic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

jon in Austin, Texas

40 months ago

brownk1291 in West Sacramento, California said: Walmart has levels of pay from 1-7.

Level 1: $8.00 - cart pushers, People Greeters, and Fitting Room Associates

Level 2: $8.20 - Maintenance Associates

Level 3: $8.40 - Cahsiers, Instock

Level 4: $8.60 - Sales Associates

Level 5: unknown

Level 6: $9.30 - CSM/CSS, Merchandise Supervisor/Department MGR, Personnel

Level 7: $9.70 - Asset Protection Agent, etc

Assistant MGR - $40-45,000 salary

CO-MGR: $72-75,000 salary

Store MGR: $95-110,000 salary

You get a 90-day evaluation with no raise. Then an annual evaluation which ranges from .40-.60¢ depending on your work ethic.

From that pay scale, it seems I was not offered the best pay. I started for Walmart 2 months ago at 8.20 as a sales assoc.. I have lots of management experience, however, still was only hired at minimum. I'm not happy about the wait just to get a raise. I have been told that I am the next dept. manager but is the pay worth the wait? It seems that I am given grief everyday by a zoning manager for giving good customer service. I want to say that this is the reason no one wants to go to Walmart anymore because customers are treated horrible and not respectfully. I think I'm going to look for another job. I thought advancement should come easy in a big company like this especially if you have a good work ethic and offer great service to customers but, it seems I'd be waiting a year before I would see that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

brownk1291 in West Sacramento, California

40 months ago

jon in Austin, Texas said: From that pay scale, it seems I was not offered the best pay. I started for Walmart 2 months ago at 8.20 as a sales assoc.. I have lots of management experience, however, still was only hired at minimum. I'm not happy about the wait just to get a raise. I have been told that I am the next dept. manager but is the pay worth the wait? It seems that I am given grief everyday by a zoning manager for giving good customer service. I want to say that this is the reason no one wants to go to Walmart anymore because customers are treated horrible and not respectfully. I think I'm going to look for another job. I thought advancement should come easy in a big company like this especially if you have a good work ethic and offer great service to customers but, it seems I'd be waiting a year before I would see that.

Well if I was offered the position of a Dept MGR I'd take it just because it's a raise. But if I got a job somewhere else, for instance Costco. I'd take it whether I'm pushing carts or inside. The min wage for them is $11hr. But yes customers get treated horrible because the associate is treated horrible. A happy associate makes a happy customers. Happy customers shop more often. Cusomters who shop more often put more money into the company.... soooo I feel you completely on your reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Uncle John in Alton, Illinois

39 months ago

brownk1291 in West Sacramento, California said: Walmart has levels of pay from 1-7.

Level 1: $8.00 - cart pushers, People Greeters, and Fitting Room Associates

Level 2: $8.20 - Maintenance Associates

Level 3: $8.40 - Cahsiers, Instock

Level 4: $8.60 - Sales Associates

Level 5: unknown

Level 6: $9.30 - CSM/CSS, Merchandise Supervisor/Department MGR, Personnel

Level 7: $9.70 - Asset Protection Agent, etc

Assistant MGR - $40-45,000 salary

CO-MGR: $72-75,000 salary

Store MGR: $95-110,000 salary

You get a 90-day evaluation with no raise. Then an annual evaluation which ranges from .40-.60¢ depending on your work ethic.

Level 5 is Connection Center (Wireless), and Wet Lab Photo, and I think something else. Photo Technician (Dry lab) is Level 4. Based on your payrates above, it would be either $8.90 and $9.

Wet Labs are going away and Photo, Wireless, and electronics are being merged into "Metro-Plex" at level 4. (You won't get any official admission of this from walmart, but it's happening.

Pay scales differ in each state, and even by area within a state. Here in Illinois, our rates are a little higher, because our minimum wage is higher ($8.25/hr presently) after a series of forced raises that just ended. So for the pay scale above start level 1 at $8.25 ($.25 more). Add $.25 to each level for us. Some Metor areas are a nickel or dime higher yet.

Next to no one will get a $.60 raise. Walmart has un-officially decreed that no one performs "above expectations".

This is no longer Sam Walton's vision. Walmart is not even controlled by the Walton family anymore. While Corporate still touts "Mr. Sam's Vision", we are just like every other major retailer now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Some Guy in Boise, Idaho

38 months ago

They pay is based on the how much the Walmart makes. The one I work at, phase 3 pay, where I'm at, is $8/hr, but then if you drive 6 miles south to the Boise store, phase 3 makes $9.25/hr, so I have heard. The higher the phase, the more money you make, the more money the store makes, the more money you make.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Fayetteville, New York

38 months ago

I have a interview wed just woundering what the start off pay is I now cashiers get pay $2 more per hr I hear ?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Wallyworker in Litchfield Park, Arizona

38 months ago

Amber in Fayetteville, New York said: I have a interview wed just woundering what the start off pay is I now cashiers get pay $2 more per hr I hear ?????

Well where I work cashiers make the same if not less than sales floor associates. I started at Walmart 8 months ago as an electronics associate at 8.30 an hour. The base pay is 8.00 for that position and that is a pay grade above cashiers. The reason for this is high end items and the register. In four months I went from level 3 to level 7 with a 1.10 pay raise. I am now the supervisor for the wireless and photo center. Im making 9.40 and the base pay is 9.10.

I'm looking to start assistant manager training in the next couple of months but will be hard as I'm 19 and going to college.

Anyway, work hard do what your told and show that your eager to learn. I can pretty much tell you where anything is in the store. Also I can do many things around the store. Believe me management notices and you'll be rewarded.

Proud wallyworld worker :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

eyeguy52 in Cape Coral, Florida

37 months ago

Trying to get an idea of how much starting salary would be for an Optical Manager at Walmart? Also wanted to know, how long the application process should take? I applied for a position weeks and weeks ago, and had one interview I was then told to file an online application and told that the job would be posted on the Walmart inhouse job board. Unfortunately, my onlineapplication did not appear on the corporate website, as the applicant population was being chosen only from nearby areas for interviews (I live about 1 hr. away). This sounds a bit strange to me and in the meantime no second interview until the application magically appears. What to do? This is a great opportunity for me and I put my job hunting on hold to wait and see what happens, but cannot do it for long as I have a family to support (been out of work for 9 mos.). Any comments would be more than welcomed at this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tdbellsag1130 in DFW, Texas

37 months ago

Darrell D Williams in Chesterfield, Missouri said: This is accurate as of 2011 as well. Excellent information, as I was offered yesterday at $43,500.00.

Hey Darrell, how is your position going? Did you start off as an Assist Mgr in Training? How do you like the company? I just applied for the Assist Mgr Trainee and I left the salary open because I didn't know how much they made. So $43K is the norm for someone in training as well? Any information that you have and would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Eustis, Florida

36 months ago

Phyllis in Denver, Colorado said: I will never ever spend any money in a wal-mart......ever. Or Sam's and I've told my friends, family and every cashier I do business with to boycott WalMart! They are not good for America. Target is better even though they're owned by the French. Don't patronize Walmart!

just as an FYI....Target is NOT owned by the French! They originated out of Minnesota. Strictly an American Company who is starting to build stores in Canada in the next year or two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

walmart_qt in Mount Sinai, New York

35 months ago

eyeguy52 in Cape Coral, Florida said: Trying to get an idea of how much starting salary would be for an Optical Manager at Walmart? Also wanted to know, how long the application process should take? I applied for a position weeks and weeks ago, and had one interview I was then told to file an online application and told that the job would be posted on the Walmart inhouse job board. Unfortunately, my onlineapplication did not appear on the corporate website, as the applicant population was being chosen only from nearby areas for interviews (I live about 1 hr. away). This sounds a bit strange to me and in the meantime no second interview until the application magically appears. What to do? This is a great opportunity for me and I put my job hunting on hold to wait and see what happens, but cannot do it for long as I have a family to support (been out of work for 9 mos.). Any comments would be more than welcomed at this point.

Eyeguy, I'm an associate in optical. Where I am, Vision Center Managers start at high $30's, with raises and bonuses (which can be hard to earn) you can make like $45. Are you a licensed optician? It's sad to say but where I am the Licensed Optician makes almost as much as a newly hired VCM. My manager claims to be capped at higher pay than that BUT has been with the company a while (apparently the company has been experiencing some major changes, none of them good) and I guess pay rates have been lowered in recent years.
To all the other posters about pay grades/rates, I can't believe the starting hourly rate is so low in other places, but my store isn't even the highest grossing in my market and I'm pretty sure base is $8.50. In my store the optical, pharmacy, or photo (which is considered "professional", I guess) associates start at around $9.50 or $10.00. People who gain certifications or licenses obviously make more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

umpire128 in Dover, New Hampshire

34 months ago

that girl in Cleveland, Ohio said: As of April 2007, most floor associates start out at $7.30/hr.

DO NOT LET THEM TRICK YOU INTO STICKING AT THE REGISTER DURING A CODE C (Attention all Wal*Mart Associates! At this time, we do have a code c! We need all register trained associates to the front end!)

The reason I say this is because W*M cashiers get paid $2 more per hour! You're doing their job for them and you're not getting paid what you should (unless you're full time, which most associates aren't)

they not doing jobs for us when we got lines, and when we are pulled to help in other location like carts or greeter or putting drops away. which i think its wrong in a way.... if there lines call the reuglar cashiers back than if we need more help call them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

My Job Sucks in Edgecomb, Maine

34 months ago

The starting pay at least in Maine for a sales associate when I started (2009) was 8.10/hr. It was level 2 on the 7 level scale cashiers start at 8.30/hr at level 3. As far as my job goes I moved up to CSM in about a year, it is a hell of a lot more entertaining than a sales associate. You get crap from everyone from customers to management. I say it is what it is there though, I see my job as being one of the more demanding jobs especially now with a brand new ZS that seems to refuse taking the time to learn the jobs of the people she is supervising. The one thing that seems to be my golden ticket in this store is having just a little bit of confidence and being calm in what turns out to be chaos alot of the time. So to all the people looking to get hired at Wal-Mart or want some advice, grow a set, get the job done, get good at what you do, and moving up wont be that hard at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Life Is What You Make It in Decatur, Georgia

33 months ago

Please excuse the above typos as this was typed on my iPhone, which sometimes has a mind of it's own :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Life Is What You Make It in Decatur, Georgia

33 months ago

Please excuse the above typos as I posted this via my iPhone-which tends to sometimes have a mind of it's own :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.