Walmart is not the place to work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 192)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

It's a job. in Oberlin, Ohio

33 months ago

candygirl in Inverness, Florida said: I have been at Walmart since January of this year. Since I started I have not liked it. Management at mine sucks. And all that favoritism!!! I went in wanting to be a CSS. I took the test and passed it. But apparently there was a computer glitch and I wasn't taken to the second part of the test in order to get an interview. I told a member of management and they said I couldn't retake it even though it was the computer's glitch. As far as CSS's go there is only a few I like. Two of them got the position just because of favoritism. One of them is a CSS pet. Always hanging out with the CSS's off the clock, I guess we know why she got the position. The second person who got it was a cashier and after 3 months went into customer service desk and a month after she was in that position got the CSS spot. I have been told by a CSS that you have to be in a position 6 months before you can move to another postion. And the two new CSS's give everyone their breaks late, their lunches late and go homes late. The other day my break was almost an hour late!! I am frustrated by the management at my store and I am about ready to quit because of this drama with the CSS's and the fact that even though I am qualified to be a CSS it hasn't happened.

I agree COMPLETELY! This is exactly how it is at my store. And I'd also like to know how a CSS can stand around day dreaming instead of doing their job and how she gets so much vacation time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mashburn in Colorado Springs, Colorado

33 months ago

(cont) to management for awhile for being a threat. I was not getting involved in their personal lives and all I wanted was for everyone to be treated fairly and to do my job. Management started having it out for me because of them complaing (lieing) and one early morning as one CSM was sitting in Subway I had a question and walked in there to get her opinion and just as I asked her the "Head CSM" walked in for his shift and since a light was blinking he saw that as us not doing our jobs. Fine, take away my title.. I didn't care at that point and I quit. I'm glad she got in trouble for SOMETHING, but I couldn't take childish abuse anymore.

Today I am an Army Reservist, a wife of an Army SSG, a mother of 3, and I own my own business that is steadily growing and is going to do very well for my family. And one of those CSM's are still working at Walmart. lol! Good for her!I do not think all Walmarts are jacked up. They do under-pay and they don't respect that sometimes life happens to even the best of employees, but it's 100% the management that makes or breaks a store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mashburn in Colorado Springs, Colorado

33 months ago

Well, there was a LOT written before the last post I wrote that decided not to post.. BREAKDOWN: I worked at 3 stores total.. Going from Jewelry, to cashier, to over-night cashier, to CSM and the first 2 stores I worked for were great and the last was pretty bad. I was a CSM at the last while working with a romantic duo who was threatened by the fact that I knew their secret since the male CSM was married and they played favorites with some cashiers they considered friends and I was very much a fair manager... So, they didn't like me. They started creating problems for me by lieing to upper management who would automatically believe them since they were coming to them in a pair. Management really should have pulled me into their office to tell me what was being said and to ask me why but that was never done. Oh well... That was many years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nichole in Holden, Massachusetts

32 months ago

I am also a Walmart employee. But whether or not I like my job is not relevant to what I have to say. I think people in this forum need to stop and think before they write a post. Why are you guys attacking each other? Do you really care that much if someone hates their job? Does the person who likes their job deserve to be called an idiot? Obviously, we all know what the economy is like right now, so most people don't really have the choice to just quit if they don't like a job. On the other hand, if someone does like the job, why not just let them be? You're all on here talking about how the CSMs and managers just beat you down and make you feel like crap, but then you come on here and do the same thing to other people? The point of this website is to give potential employees our opinions, not to be jackasses to each other...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mocksville in Mocksville, North Carolina

32 months ago

It's a job. in Oberlin, Ohio said: I agree COMPLETELY! This is exactly how it is at my store. And I'd also like to know how a CSS can stand around day dreaming instead of doing their job and how she gets so much vacation time.

yes its all true they give you nothing then ask you to do a full time employees job who is allways takeing it easy and makeing more with bennifits its a place only to be used till u can get something else they dont care about your back or what they do to you cause the sooner u quit they hire another sucker for 40 cent less try to keep it at minimum wage if they can the store i was at turn over was allways at 90 or more percent turn over along with bossy customers calling u sorry bet they r makeing more and doing alot less

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

It's a job. in Oberlin, Ohio said: I agree COMPLETELY! This is exactly how it is at my store. And I'd also like to know how a CSS can stand around day dreaming instead of doing their job and how she gets so much vacation time.

lol same here in nc truly i tought i had worked at some of the worst places but now i have a whole new look on it walmart is by far the most disrespectful place i ever worked

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

i was called part time worked 35 to 40 wanted full time they said no but after i was their for awhile less time was better absolutely hated it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gharmr in Golden Valley, Arizona

31 months ago

Katie,
interesting how you have no complaint other then pick on people's grammar who obviously don't care. Go blow the Waltons more loser. Pretty sure you are one of them losers you mention as you're on here w/o complaint.
I worked at Walsmart myself. Bad job, bad pay and the employee's are subsidized by the U.S. Gov. What you save on product you make up for by paying for these poor employee's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lauraisaqt in Baltimore, Maryland

31 months ago

phillyphanatic2009 in Fredericksburg, Virginia said: I have worked for Wal-mart and my friends dad worked for Wal-Mart. Her story is worse than mine so I will start there. He has worked for them since a new store opening for about six years as a dpt manager. He is an older employee. Everything was fine up until recently. One day they came up to him and told him, either he has to step down from his position or he has to look forward to another job. The reason they gave him was because they were looking to restructure and hire all new dpt managers. Why did they want new dpt managers because the current ones were getting paid to much. So he said ok and took an overnight position in grocery stocking shelves. This was ok for a little while until one day corporate goes and says they expect each stoc person to cut open, place items on shelf and crush the boxes in less then a minute. What is sad is they would actually stand there with a stop watch and time them. Now he works in lawn in garden. He wants to leave but at his age its hard for him to find something else.

that is so sad,they treat you like a robot not a human with feelings

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lauraisaqt in Baltimore, Maryland

31 months ago

hello everyone, I have worked at wal-mart about a month my dad got very sick and was at deaths door,I called out two days to be by my dads side,I'm happy to say he is better now and out of the hospital,but wal-mart didn't care what was going on in my life and they told me I'm very close to be fired,they treat you like a robot and not a human being with feelings I'm not happy with them and now think wal-mart needs a union to protect the employees because they just don't care and they will fire you at a drop at a dime,with a union they will fight for you and they better have a dame good reason to fire you,now I know why wal-mart is so bent on not having a union they even show you a video about keeping a union out of wal-mart lol they are a huge company with no feelings and they don't care about you...as long as you come in and work like a dog and make them money they love you but don't let anything happen in your life you are replaceable and will be fired........ so sad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Waldoboro, Maine

30 months ago

Deborah Jacobson in Sheridan, Illinois said: I have been a licensed real estate broker and former owner of a RE/MAX office. Also, formerly a manager at a computer company. With the state of the economy, I took a part-time job at Walmart to fill a gap in the real estate business . WHAT AN EYE OPENER!!!

I have now quit Walmart after 6 months. I was not fired and have no intention of ever returning. However, if anyone is thinking of going there for employment, run for your life!!! Do absolutely anything but work at Walmart.

If you are not a person who is strong of character, Walmart will beat you down. As a sales associate you will quickly learn your opinion or suggestions do not count, going the extra mile to help a customer or a co-worker does not count, and YOU as a human being do not count for anything.

I learned that if you have the ability to fog a mirror, you can be a manager at Walmart... no brains required. I could write a book on examples of ignorance and lack of logic. I have way too much to say than the intent of this forum.

So, as a professional who was temporarily filling a financial gap, I pity anyone who thinks they must work at Walmart. If you are new to the job market, please don't think all jobs are like this. Walmart will ruin your self-esteem while physically sucking every last morsel of energy from your body. You will go home after your shift feeling half dead, crabby and mad at the world. Life is not meant to be like that and too short to spend it at Walmart!

Oh my! I would love to read that book!!! I'm writing a paper about the negative effects of walmart. The employee maltreatment is a portion. Your information, though general, really strikes the core. LOL. Great read, and I'm glad you posted it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Waldoboro, Maine

30 months ago

It's a job. in Oberlin, Ohio said: In my opinion, Wal-Mart is a job. I try not to complain too much because I believe it may be difficult to find another job, quickly. BUT, if you do decide to work for this...um....lovely...company, be prepared to be stuck in one position forever, unless of course, the managers favor you. Also, there is a terrible lack of communications . Policies are not followed, and even though you may do an excellent job, above and beyond expectations, it probably will go unoticed by most. Here is an example of one negative thing that happened to me. You must be an associate for six months before switching job positions, and if you have been, you are SUPPOSED to be considered for all positions in your career preference listing, if that position becomes available. However, that may not be the case. Customer service is the ONLY thing in my career preference. Two CS positions became open at my store. I have been there well over six months, and wasn't even considered for the position at all. They instead chose to give it to an associate who has been there for about three months. I can almost guarantee that I have better reasons for wanting to be in CS than the associate chosen (Who does nothing but complain and find excused NOT to do her job.)

I don't see how that's fair, but hey, like I said, it's a job. And it ALMOST pays the bills. :)

That's awesome that you state "it's a job". I do mean that sincerely. There are many people who have gone out and hated their jobs because people are unfriendly, rules are not followed and the pay is too minimal. It is, though, a job. There are jobs out there in which everything is working perfectly, but you or I could never find a job there, because the employees would never leave. The business model works to find lower paying employees to do the same work as someone who has been there for years (read as getting paid more and now wants to quit). As you stated, it pays the bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NAES in Schertz, Texas

30 months ago

Compared to other places I have worked, Walmart was a pretty good place to work. Call me out personally, I don't care, because I am the type of person who posts objectively. With that being said, I worked there for a year and a half, because, yes, pay was quite nominal. In my state I believe they start you out a little above minimum wage. However, the training, and the business like environment has really opened my eyes to proper customer service and expanded job opportunities. It is a great link after graduating high school working at a restaurant for a bit. Depending on full or part time, schedules are posted reasonably(3 weeks ahead of time) and the process of requesting off was simple. There is a quarterly bonus the last time I checked, ranging on how how much money Walmart made. They did not allow overtime at my store. There were plenty of nice associates who truly enjoyed their job and showed it by engaging casual conversation with all kinds of people. Every company is going to have a few bad apples. Personally, it broke me out of my shell, as I was an introverted person before working here. If you're outgoing you would enjoy this place. I had heard from a few associates that when Sam Walton was still alive he would travel all over America and visit his stores and simply befriend customers and associates. Walmart schedules different hours. I worked 9 hour shifts. One hour lunch. 10 percent discount off of merchandise except groceries and candy. Extra discount during seasonal times. The last thing I will say about working there, was that I got in contact with a lot of people I had lost contact with over time. Everyone goes to Walmart. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

FDN in Dover, Delaware

29 months ago

I was just hired as a cashier at Walmart. The biggest problem I have with Walmart is the training. I expected the stress and to be treated badly but not to be poorly trained. Literally as I was doing CBL's I was told to go to a register and start working. Of course, the CBL's don't go over anything and you have to constantly ask for help. THIS ADDS EVEN MORE STRESS TO AN ALREADY STRESSFUL JOB! There was also an issue with my hours but hopefully that is settled.

Honestly, the customers have not been that bad except for some fools who decided to steal while I was at the register causing a huge backup in the aisle. Also my coworkers seem to leave me with all of the work..using the redlining policy to conveniently be away from their registers when customers arrive.

Frankly, I only plan on working this job for 3 months for some cash for the next semester of college so it can't be that bad.

I just had my first 8 hour shift as a cashier; I don't know how people can do this for a living. When I got home I was exhausted and was still recovering the next day.

Frank in Durant, Oklahoma

29 months ago

I started as an overnight stocker a little over six months ago.
Three days after my 3-month evaluation I was promoted to IMS in the backroom, I was given the full-time schedule and job responsibilities that I was promised.
I've now been at Wal-Mart for almost 7 months and will be transferring to be a Lead IMS (Pay-grade 7) in a store close to mine.
My brother is a pay-grade 7 on days so my option for promotion is very limited within my store.
My store manager as well as the assistant managers have been very supportive in my decision to promote outside of my store for they feel I have the potential to be a big part of the company.
I'm 19 years old and my education is limited to a 2 year associate's degree in business/accounting.
This job is what you make it!
Of course you're going to make low wages when you start, they are one of the largest employers in the world.
I started at 7.95 an hour working 32 hours a week.
Next week I start 10.15 an hour working 40 a week with a large supply of overtime available.

The job isn't for everyone and everyone just needs to accept that.

None of this refers to wrongdoings of management in other stores or situations of integrity issues within Wal-Mart.
This is my opinion and experience at Wal-Mart for walking out everyday wiping sweat from my forehead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

TPlatten in Appleton, Wisconsin

28 months ago

I can honestly say I have never worked at Walmart and am glad. I have however watched my husband and sister work there and be treated like scum for all the hard work they did. My sister had by far the WORST experience of disability discrimination I have ever seen...it was worthy of a law suit and she was told this by one manager (who quit) and her DVR counselor as well. Here is her story.
My sister worked at Walmart twice. Her first time was as a seasonal cashier. She had a hard time with it and so she found other work once Christmas was over. A couple years later, she reapplied through Dept. of Voc. Rehab with a counselor but only to Lawn and Garden, apparel and electronics. She had written proof of autism and anxiety/panic attacks and Walmart did hire her back because she was an asset the last time and agreed on a floor position in Lawn and Garden without front cashiering. She managed for a year in L&G and loved it but through out the year she was still sent to front registers because no other associate would go. She talked to her counselor and when the counselor talked to management, management lied and said she offered to go..which she did not. Having enuf of this, she moved to apparel because she knew the dept. manager well and was again promised NO front end cashiering but would need to man the fitting rooms and phones which she did. However she had a list of jobs to do each day which were never written down and then the dept mngr turned on her and invented jobs she claimed she told her to do but were never done. My sis went to the counselor again and got a legal state document to basically ask written permission for more help in the form of written task lists each day for her to remember everything or be allowed a notebook herself. After 3 mos the paper was signed by a big higher up n she was denied and fired a day later stating she was 2 time consuming and autism was no excuse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TPlatten in GB, Wisconsin

28 months ago

With my last comment being added, I will also tell you this, no job that is easy is going to pay you high wages. A job pays with how difficult each job is. Walmart jobs are not exactly hard but the stress does not factor into the pay. So...if ur issue is you work ur butt off for little pay, then rethink ur life and decide on college to up your chances for a good career but don't do it for the kick back.

Also be warned, even if you yourself never go through any problems at a job it is important to look at the big picture of the place. Walmart is so bad as a whole that there is a site specifically dedicated to law suits against them for anything from sexual harassment to disability discrimination. If you choose to back up a place who fires those who have disabilities than shame on you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

ca2680 in Modesto, California

28 months ago

narai in Cranston, Rhode Island said: now did you actually go out and run iq tests on the workers at walmart? do you have any actual concrete proof or is this just a comment you state out your ass?

Mgmt., associates and customer's all have low IQ's at Walmart. Store Managers lack the abililty to run a store. The manager's at the store I worked at were replaced every yr. Not the place to work. Associate's don't receive bonues due Mgmt. allowing the customer's to robb the store blind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Alan in Mt Meadows Area, California

28 months ago

Saying they all have low IQs just goes to show that YOU have a low IQ. Nice going. Come back when you decide to have some concrete proof to back up your ignorant statements. Not all people that work at wal-mart have low IQs, you are no better than they are. Get off your high horse and grow up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

AliciaBJ20 in Bellevue, Nebraska

28 months ago

I worked for Walmart for a year now, I was hired last year in Feb. making Walmart my first job. I'm grateful to have a job but I will agree that Walmart does suck at times, especially my store does here in Nebraska. Our store is flat out BROKEN! Why you ask? Well about 2 weeks ago our freezers over in the grocery department completely froze up and shut DOWN, almost every single associate had to stop doing what they were doing just to take all the meat and yogurt off the shelves so it wouldn't spoil. We RECENTLY just got our air vents "fixed" in the store after countless complaint calls and people fainting in our store, it got soo hot in one time that an associate had to go home because she couldn't handle the heat build up in the store. I've gotten sick one time and had to go home myself, but what makes it really sad is that the store stayed like that up until last year when I started working there. Even my mom had to call and complain that working in those type of conditions was not fair to us employees, if the vents didn't get fixed soon they would find themselves on the news or corporate coming down on their heads. That's why the air vents are working now other wise they would probably still be broken.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AliciaBJ20 in Bellevue, Nebraska

28 months ago

ca2680 in Modesto, California said: Mgmt., associates and customer's all have low IQ's at Walmart. Store Managers lack the abililty to run a store. The manager's at the store I worked at were replaced every yr. Not the place to work. Associate's don't receive bonues due Mgmt. allowing the customer's to robb the store blind.

My store no longer had door greeters at the front door to check receipts to see if items were bought or being returned. I don't know who came up with this plan but its costing them dearly, about a month or so ago we had 4 tv's leave our store cause no one was at the door to stop them or see if the alarm went off. A co worker of mines thinks it a complete joke that they put spider wrap on certain items yet there's no one to stop the person from walking out the door with it! AP is a waste of time cause the guy just walks around texing, in subway talking to his girlfriend or never at the right place/time to catch the person from stealing. But whatever, its not coming out of my paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mech-Phree in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

I was young and Naive when I first worked at Walmart (Actually Sam's Club) I believe I was 19 years old. When I first came for my interview I literally sat in the lunch lounge for over 2 HOURS before anyone would see me. All people would do was keep coming up some one was going to see me soon and just left me there.

I was so desperate for a job at the time I wait because I had nothing else better to do. When I finally got seen by a manager (who was nice) she pretty much just wrote everything was "exceptional" on my interview sheet and I met with a differn't guy who explained what I would be doing.

Same thing as other people said they literally give you no training. I remember watching those corny movies and how walmart doesn't want " a union because they dont' need one" even on about how you should avoid people who ask you to be in a Union.

I believe I did literally a day and a half of CBL'S and they sent me out there on my own. I had a shadowerer who would tell me what I should do and not do lazily while customers were in line waiting for me to ring them up.

At walmart if you are a cashier, you do EVERYTHING because even though my title was cashier I was also cart pusher, re-stocker, store greeter , the guy who would take your 45 inch flat screen tv and try to shove it in your 2 door hatch back.

One of the worst moments I had with Sam's Club was when there was a blizzard and they had nobody else to work the carts so they called me up and had me push carts in the middle of a freaking blizzard by my self! I was literally the only one out there pushing carts and when I objected my severely over weight manager his response was something along the lines of "being a team player.." and actually told me cart people make 25 cents a hour more then normal folk.

Speaking of Management, they are all back stabbers and ass kissers. Don't expect any of them to have your back on anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mech-Phree in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

Frank in Durant, Oklahoma said: I started as an overnight stocker a little over six months ago.
Three days after my 3-month evaluation I was promoted to IMS in the backroom, I was given the full-time schedule and job responsibilities that I was promised.
I've now been at Wal-Mart for almost 7 months and will be transferring to be a Lead IMS (Pay-grade 7) in a store close to mine.
My brother is a pay-grade 7 on days so my option for promotion is very limited within my store.
My store manager as well as the assistant managers have been very supportive in my decision to promote outside of my store for they feel I have the potential to be a big part of the company.
I'm 19 years old and my education is limited to a 2 year associate 's degree in business / accounting .
This job is what you make it!
Of course you're going to make low wages when you start, they are one of the largest employers in the world.
I started at 7.95 an hour working 32 hours a week.
Next week I start 10.15 an hour working 40 a week with a large supply of overtime available.

The job isn't for everyone and everyone just needs to accept that.

None of this refers to wrongdoings of management in other stores or situations of integrity issues within Wal-Mart.
This is my opinion and experience at Wal-Mart for walking out everyday wiping sweat from my forehead.

AT 19 I used to think 10.15 was alot of money. But now (a few years older) I see it's still chump change for the amount of work you do at the company and especially since you have an associates but hey everyone has to start some where.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Columbus, Ohio

28 months ago

I am a current apparel sales associate at Walmart. In other words softlines associate. Not only is the fitting room a tough job watching how much merchandise the customers bring into the rooms...you have to answer the store phones. Why should associates especially new associates at that have to answer the phones when they know nothing about the store let alone haven't been trained properly on how to use the phones. I got cussed out at plenty of times by people because I transferred them to the wrong department or they told me that I didn't know how to do my job and they were going to try to fire me. WALMART SUCKS. I only stay because I need a job and the co-workers are pretty amazing. Management at my store isn't too bad but the rules and policies do suck. If you call off sick once they automatically will list you into the lazy group of the store no matter the reason. I've called off three times my first month but that is because I deal with gall stone pain and anyone who has dealt with that know what it's like you can't move at all let alone get out of bed to work. I did bring in doctors excuses for the times I have called off work but they don't except them. Only time they do is if it's life threatening well Gall stones are life threatening so they can fire me I don't care. But the most part I have issues with at my store is the customers. I live on the east side of downtown and our customers are really rude and trash the store. Constantly picking clothes up off the ground, constantly zoning and folding clothes even after 3 hours of working on a table they don't care they see you cleaning and they like to get in your way as you clean or work too or they pick through your returns and mess them up when you have things organize. All in all if you can't deal with people don't work at HELLMART.

Madashell in Beaumont, California

28 months ago

tealynn in Lynchburg, Virginia said: walmart employees do not have low iqs.YOU obviously do and are in the management training program!THOSE ARE THE ONLY LOW IQ IDIOTYS WALMART HIRES.[/QUOTE

I agree with you totally. It's seems like its a requirement to even be considered for a management position. Walmart wants people who can be brainwashed and do not question the Walmart way of doing things. I cannot wait until the economy improves and the hardworking lot of us can find a real job. Walmart blows!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nanettes in California

26 months ago

I just got a job working for Walmart after working in corporate America for over 15 years.

Previously, I worked at a soft goods retailer for 5 years when I was in my early 20s. From that experience I can tell you that there are a LOT of lazy employees in retail that don't care about what kind of job that they do because of the pay. Sure, there were managers that would not associate with the employees, and back then I decided that I wanted a job that had position and respect. Well, I got it and its not much better. There are always people that will tell you what to do and how to do it. They probably will never thank you for your hard work, but sorry, in this economy be glad that you have a job. Be good to your coworkers and be good to your managers no matter how they treat you.

I expect that after my stint at Walmart I'll be back in corporate America one day, but seriously people make the best of what you have! Take pride in what you do for the sake of taking pride in it, not for what you will get back. That attitude will get you far in life. Hard work pays off in some way... always.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

dirtyduck911 in Peru, Illinois

25 months ago

Chrissy70 in Dexter, Missouri said: Wal-Mart is not a good place to work. I went through the training and went to work the next day. I had to get a member of management to clock me in because i was new. 4 different associates paged "we need a member of management to the time clock", I was late 1 hour in my department because of this. I was told i would not get paid for my "wait time". So i did not go back. I should have believed what i read on here about Wal-Mart before i went to work there.

Wow that is such a lie......I have worked for Wal-mart for 4 years and my wife has worked there for over 10......on the store side and dc.......you can fix your own time on the wire if you dont get clocked in correctly, but i have never seen a member of management that would not help someone with their time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

luv2hugmonkeys@live.com in Butler, New Jersey

25 months ago

I am so grateful that there is a website where I can vent. I began working at Walmart 2 weeks ago as a Department Mgr. I cant wait to find a new job. I have had no training, the workload is unrealistic. You must do 12 hours of work in an 8 hour day. Every Monday you get to do nothing but go to useless meetings while the workload backs up. The departments are understaffed and no one seems to want to help you if you have a question. maybe because they are too busy also. Today I left work crying. The woman that was supposed to help me stood around talking most of the day and I had to stay an hour later, even though I was told to not go over my hours. I punched out without finishing my work for the day and I am scheduled off tomorrow. When I went to the punch clock to punch out 2 women were talking about me and how I was having a hard time. How about some training and some realistic job duties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

whytboy in Gatesville, Texas

24 months ago

Does your store not require people to do CBL's? We had to do CBL's which detailed all the black Friday info. And I know at my store it would be difficult for employees to put items in event bins because everything for the event is labeled specifically for the event and there is no stocking done on black Friday. And I hear cashiers using the microphone to call for management all the time.

sportsfan2012 in Woodridge, Illinois said: I wish i would have read these posts before starting to work at Walmart! Its all true..I lasted 2 months. Black Friday was the last straw. I was a cashier, when we all got to work that night there were 3-4 sheets on cash registers about how to handle the special event products. How customers would come up with a number and scanning tkt that we would scan and they would pay for the TV's then go back to pick them up. First of all, thanks for waiting till THAT NIGHT to fill us in on how to handle things, I guess we are suppose to tell customers "sorry u have to wait while I read up on how to help you". Second, people were sent up without the tkts to scan for big items, and after waiting in line 2hrs to get #s then 2 hrs to check out, they were then told "sorry you have to go back to the back to get correct tkts, WTF?? Many angry customers. Also associates were putting incorrect items in sales bins so customers kept getting pissed when they rang up reg. price at register, and managers kept telling them that other customers were putting items in bins (liars). When i told manager that they should have informed me on how the sales item events worked she looked at me and said "welcome to Black Friday", that was it!!!.You can never get change from managers and 90% of the time their palm pilots that are suppose to let them know when u need something never worked, so I would have to shut down my light to go SEARCHING for a manager! What a crock. Never again, I called that stupid 1800# to let them know I quit because no one

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

If you've only worked for one month and already called in so many times that you get fired for calling in when a family member is sick then you should be fired. You're allowed to call in 4 times without getting in bad trouble. 4 call-ins in one month is way too many call-ins!

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington said: Sorry,

But glad your dad is ok. But I, too, would have told you that your job was in jeopardy if, less than one month into it, you were taking time off. You just don't do that.

Your dad wasn't even dead. Sheesh. I can only imagine how many other times you deemed it necessary to take time off for yourself. I mean, couldn't you have visited papa - after your shift?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

As a nurse, I can say getting hit in the head does nnot cause migraines. An awful headache is not the same thing. (Unless you already suffer them and it triggers one). That said, why in the world would anyone ever be taken to the hospital in handcuffs???? I would have refused. Call me an ambulance! Please.

QUOTE who="mrobinson80 in Willows, California"]Whew... where to begin.

I recently got the stomach flu and missed a few days of work. I had a doctor's note though, but I think they still nailed me with a "no call, no show" after I puked on myself and my truck passenger seat on the way to work. I COULD have called in and used a "sick day", but those are virtually non-existent with this company. I have never worked in a store where the customers were so grumpy, combative, and otherwise intimidating and verbally/mentally/physically violent. This rears it's ugly head especially around "Black Friday", which Walmart lovingly calls 'blitz' or simply "event day". I complained to an Assistant Manager about a massive migraine headache that I believed was due to a customer hitting me in the skull. She simply replied "migraines are NOT caused by punches to the head". A week or 2 later, that same manager had me escorted to the hospital by the local city police in which I had to be handcuffed behind my own back and shoved into a squad car "for my own safety". Therefore, I don't complain of headaches anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sportsfan2012 in Woodridge, Illinois

24 months ago

whytboy in Gatesville, Texas said: Does your store not require people to do CBL's? We had to do CBL's which detailed all the black Friday info. And I know at my store it would be difficult for employees to put items in event bins because everything for the event is labeled specifically for the event and there is no stocking done on black Friday. And I hear cashiers using the microphone to call for management all the time.

When the heck are u suppose to do CBL's??? Every time we wanted to do them we were told to do them another time too busy. My point was that walmart was blaming customers for a goof up, when it was not customers. our walmart doesnt have microphones. You must be in management??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

We HAVE to do CBL's no matter what, sometimes by a certain date...if we don't expect a coaching lol ...no I am definitely not management lol. I'm a night stocker for about a year. Never even been in this kind of work at all before. I worked in nursing for 20 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TD21 in Missoula, Montana

23 months ago

Walmart is not the place to work. I worked in a great store in small town for about six months and then transferred to another store at the start of 2012 because I switched schools. The new store I went too was a prison within itself. I had switched from the Garden center to electronics and that was the worst idea for me. The Dept. Mgr did not even know how to work the gemini and could not answer a customers question if it was stamped to their foreheads. She had only worked at walmart for 6 months when she took the position in the summer of 2012. The Asst. Manager was the biggest joke of the whole store. She pulled myself and other workers in for absences that were over six months old! I finally turned in my two weeks after she bluntly tried to exploit a mistake I made infront of everyone and I had just had enough. She even tried to coach me on third to last day working but that didnt happen because I had two mins left in my shift and I walked out of her office. Coaching someone who has one more shift left before they are done is just irrelevant no doubt. I even embarrassed my Dept mgr in the AD office in front of a Co mgr. I stated that she did not know anything at all and was the worse hire they could have picked. Looking back, it was just a part time job but the management at walmart is horrible. They preach about hard work when they know nothing about it and they treat their workers very poorly. I know every store is different but I have heard cases like mine from plenty of former walmart workers. I am just happy I got out of it because it was really taking a toll on my schoolwork and my normal life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mrobinson80 in California

23 months ago

If you are a nurse... why are you hanging out on the Walmart forum? I believed a customer punched me. The manager told me, "I have NEVER heard of a customer assaulting an employee at Walmart" (most likely to cover herself legally). In my area, we don't get a nice cozy ride to the hospital in a fire truck or ambulance. If we are deemed mentally unstable, we get a wonderful ride in the back of a police car as if we were a criminal in custody.

whytboy in Gatesville, Texas said: As a nurse, I can say getting hit in the head does nnot cause migraines. An awful headache is not the same thing. (Unless you already suffer them and it triggers one). That said, why in the world would anyone ever be taken to the hospital in handcuffs???? I would have refused. Call me an ambulance! Please.

QUOTE who="mrobinson80 in Willows, California"]Whew... where to begin.

I recently got the stomach flu and missed a few days of work. I had a doctor's note though, but I think they still nailed me with a "no call, no show" after I puked on myself and my truck passenger seat on the way to work. I COULD have called in and used a "sick day", but those are virtually non-existent with this company. I have never worked in a store where the customers were so grumpy, combative, and otherwise intimidating and verbally/mentally/physically violent. This rears it's ugly head especially around "Black Friday", which Walmart lovingly calls 'blitz' or simply " event day". I complained to an Assistant Manager about a massive migraine headache that I believed was due to a customer hitting me in the skull. She simply replied "migraines are NOT caused by punches to the head". A week or 2 later, that same manager had me escorted to the hospital by the local city police in which I had to be handcuffed behind my own back and shoved into a squad car "for my own safety". Therefore, I don't complain of headaches anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shore in Durham, North Carolina

23 months ago

With the economy being in the current state that it is,I for one appreciated being hired by wal-mart. Im not a newbie when it comes to working so I happen to know that favoritism,gossip,pettiness,etc comes along with most jobs. However wal-mart was the ABSOLUTE WORST place I have ever worked for in my entire life so far. There was no type of organization,the co workers(Majority) were so unhappy that all they did was start up things for no reason. I was made maintenance associate,even with extensive experience in stock and receiving and cashiering. When I asked why,I was completely ignored and brushed off. Being a maintenance associate is nothing more than being a janitor. So I don't need to elaborate on the horrors I've seen. That still doesn't mean I'm going to stop shopping there(they are cheap). I just pray to the almighty I don't ever have to work there again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

luv2hugmonkeys in Butler, New Jersey

23 months ago

asssintant manger at walmarrt in Easley, South Carolina said: Mos of thes peple complaning abot thir job at walmarrt are lazzy. im assintantt manuger at walmarrt and wat we say go. so thir!

Do you realize that you do not know how to spell..lol, therefore, you belong at Walmart with the rest of the idiots

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

annie in Bedford, Ohio

22 months ago

Walmart is THEE worst place to work. They treat their employees like worthless scum, the only ones they treat properly are the ones who where not able to succeed in the real world due to some type of illness or their age. They have awful communication with their employees and if you want a day off you can forget that. They tend to hire people as a temporary and just wait until they have to let the person go because they were a temporary. I personally was hired as a temporary cashier, they ended up letting me go because according to them I never updated my career preference, well I was never told I had to in order to be hired. Not to mention the fact that I went through hell trying to log onto the online site for employees and I they never fixed it for me. I find the csm's are lazy, I would ask for change and receive it 20 minutes later because they were talking to each other. The manager's are lazy as hell too, when you have a problem instead of sitting down and handling it themselves they tend to just give you a hotline to call. I have never felt more degraded in my life, and of course I need the paycheck so I endured it but from here on out I am going to stand up for myself. TAKE A STAND AGAINST WALMART.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mountaingirl in Washougal, Washington

21 months ago

dirtyduck911 in Peru, Illinois said: Wow that is such a lie......I have worked for Wal-mart for 4 years and my wife has worked there for over 10......on the store side and dc.......you can fix your own time on the wire if you dont get clocked in correctly, but i have never seen a member of management that would not help someone with their time.

Yes but on the upside....if you have a heart attack they will be there quickly....to clock you out :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

soulschizm in New Bern, North Carolina

21 months ago

All i can say is each store is it's own some have bad people others have amazing people and the one i am in which is Havelock NC is amazing everyone there is very helpful and nice *yes i work there*. went through 2 interviews by myself and each one was 1 on 1. a supervisor and then with the Store manager *main guy* and at the end of the 2nd interview he told me i had the job i went to the company to take a drug test and 4 days later they called to set up orientation. And when they called to tell me when it was that was still 3 days away so a full week before i had to go in. The store manager himself started out as a cart pusher. It really all depends on your store most if not all walmart stores are there own store i think all but not gonna say it is if it isn't. Also while waiting to be interviewed and waiting for orientation every single associate that walked by asked if we have been helped or if they knew why we were there said either "How are yall doing" or just a simple "Hey" maybe i am just lucky but this walmart is really nice and i believe they believe in treating everyone that works there like family and the customers very nicely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

asa in Corpus Christi, Texas

20 months ago

I've worked in WM as overnight stocker for over 4 months. Manager attitude is unless you have to be hospitalized take a pill and go to work. Just what the public needs are workers coughing and sneezing all over their food and clothing. Just try to learn something by standing and watching and you'll be soon embarrassed by a manager telling you not to be standing around doing nothing. Plan on working more than you scheduled time otherwise you'll be disappointed and have to miss an appointment afterwards or be too tired to do anything other than rest for a new workday. Concern for employee safety is minimal as evidenced by going into a refrigerated truck to pull out a pallet loaded with over a ton of meat with a pallet jack and just try to slow or stop that on a frozen truck floor once you get it going with the truck angled down toward the back opening. I don't want to imagine what could happen if you stumble or lose control. It should be first unloaded from the truck with an electric jack and set down for the worker to take it away with a regular floor pallet jack at least for the refrigerated trucks. Stockers are timed with tasks to do in each department/aisle so there is not enough time to place things properly just get the product on the shelf. Quantity as opposed to quality is the theme. There are other stories but these are the ones that first come to mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn White in Lewisville, Texas

20 months ago

Bunch of dingbats.

I work at the Highland Village, TX Wal-Mart. I've also worked at the Prestonwood (addison) and Coit & Bush Walmarts, and the latter is where I got my start.

The base pay rate at the Highland Village store is $9/hr. 3rd shift is $10/hr, and this is for level 0. Not all Wally World stores are minimum wage. I transferred in to stock overnights, and have been upped to IMS (.20/hr) within a week. I have opportunities to jump 4-5 pay grades already.

But, make no mistake. Walmart hourly store positions are job market entry level. You can not expect to live comfortably as an entry level employee anywhere. I have made bad choices in my life that have resulted in me being where I am today.

I have learned, and I am no stockholm syndrome case, that Walmart can be a great place to work, even in today's wally world. While woefully underpaid at the Muskogee, OK walmart, the management team, as well as my supervisor Bill, and ZMS Kendahl, were just awesome. I've never had a management team as involved or concerned with their employees as these. Granted, I was one of the best employees they had. I think, and act, as an adult. The good managers, if you happen upon them, will look out for you, and will treat you well, *if* you dedicate yourself, and take responsibility. But, there are bad ones.

There are bad stores, horribly mismanaged stores. The management team will treat you like idiot children. Yet, that is not less than what is deserved. The junior high school level of maturity of most of the associates that I have worked with is deserving of nothing less. These types account for at least 70% of my fellow associates.

This is perhaps my biggest issue with working for walmart. Dealing with my fellow associates. Immature, over-dramatizing, gossiping, loud-mouthed, clique-prone juveniles, despite their ages ranging from 25-35. The 18-20 age range, currently in or recently out of high school individuals are far better individuals to work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn White in Lewisville, Texas

20 months ago

My advice to my fellow.. Associates, is to take a long, hard look at yourselves. Check your ACE scores. Get therapy. Do what you've got to do. Also, lower your expectations. Live reasonably. Grow up. You aren't worth more than minimum wage until you prove yourself.

I'm in one of the "worst" stores in Texas. They've gone through three store managers in a year and a half. The Co- and assistant managers treat most of the associates like retarded children, and by all accounts, they're RIGHT to do so, because they act like immature idiot children that never grew out of their teens.

I haven't been there a week, and I'm the go-to-guy on the fast track to 40k/yr assistant manager salary. Not that I'll take it. I'm better than walmart. Why am I there? I hate walmart. I hate the corporate structure in general. I'm an anti-capitalism *anarchist*, but I can succeed even in this environment.

Just remember, folks. You are where you are, due to your mentality. You don't like it? Then change the way you think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

whitey woods in Kingston, New Hampshire

20 months ago

Been at one of the larger Southern NH stores for a month now as a sales associate. "Training" is almost non-existent. Still don't have full access on the Telxon so cant check prices, stock or mod new stock. Bug the zone and dept mgrs every day about it, am told "it'll get taken care of today" and it still hasn't. Managers take forever to respond with keys for locked room where we keep the electronics usually resulting in customers just walking out. One female manager at the store constantly berates associates in front of other associates and customers.
My dept is usually understaffed when it's busy and overstaffed when it's quiet.
Wal-Mart's vaunted inventory and logistics system is a joke. Inventory is ALWAYS wrong. I was told my first day if telxon says we have 3-5 of an item it really means we have none.

Glad I'm only working here for a few months before heading back to school. Funny part is I do a good job and have been offered a permanent position.
whitey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kesh in Sunnyvale, California

19 months ago

I used to work for Walmart and some are pros but most are cons. Pros:u do have good chances to move up with good work. You also get a discount card 3 months after working. Most are cons...most management are just bad at working with associates. The only one I respected and liked worked with us on the floor but the rest walk around usually in pairs on their phones. They get paid the big bucks to complain and get associates to finish tasks without lifting a finger to help while you get paid nickels and dimes to take not only their crap but customers as well. Customers know they can say and ask anything of you and u have to say yes with a a mile.. you leave with painful joints and feet and management skip to their BMWs which wouldn't really bug me except u did 10 times more work to get a tenth of what they get paid. U get pulled to every dept all the time and YOU WILL NEVER GET A HOLIDAY OFF every year they black out holidays no alternating unless of course or management. They DO have favorites and I used to be one so I got a week off for Christmas one year but some have been there 10 years plus and haven't.some slack off and some work great. But every store is differently run for example my first store had a strict absence policy at my 2nd store that same policy was laughable. People...the same people were calling in every week or at least two weeks no lie cause after months of this I started to do the same. No one cared. They can't stop theft that whole dept is a joke except for a few walkers who actually do a good job. They will return almost anything with or without proof. Sad. But now days its hard to get job so most are stuck. Gotta do what u gotta do to pay bills...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Faith in Los Angeles, California

19 months ago

Daniel, nearly 6 months later in Navarre, Florida said: So, everyone called me crazy when I said that I loved my job, well...I was promoted to Grocery Department Manager yesterday after having been with Walmart for not quite eight months. Call me foolish, but with all of these people out of work, why complain about a job period? It is a job, and either way...management cares if you care. You just have to show them that you are willing to bust your butt, and you actually care about your job and customers. I still love my job, and I will continue to love to it. Heck, I had two assistant managers that brought me in the ad office to get me to apply for an assistant manager job, and I had only been with the company five months; not to mention the fact that they also faxed my resume' to our market manager and market personnel manager. Like I said, they care if you care and if you are an exceptional worker.

I have been working for Walmart for 8+ years and I care a great deal about the company and try to do right by it, but it really seems like they don't care about us. I have been recently suffering from panic attacks which I'm sure is work related. The managers are all pretty understanding because I have been open and honest to them about my condition and they've seen me have one right in the middle of helping someone at Customer Service (where I work). I don't know what to do. Please help, someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

whitey woods in Kingston, New Hampshire

19 months ago

One of the associates told me that the store manager fired one of the electronics associates the other day. Seems the guy was waiting near the locked security room (that's where they keep all the laptops, etc)with a cart full of laptops that needed to be bin'd, waiting for the assistant manager with the key to let him in. Store manager said he'd waited too long and should go look for the mgr with the key. Associate told him he had been told not to leave the cart unattended and didn't think he should wheel the cart (one of the big flat long ones) around the store looking for the mgr. Store mgr considered this "mouthing off" and fired the guy.
3rd guy electronics has lost in 2 weeks, their dept mgr is moving to another dept, the photo dept mgr stepped down cause of the stress. Glad I'm heading back to school soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Canadalass in Campbell River, British Columbia

19 months ago

I had this whole thing written out and I deleted it. There is no point in griping about Walmart cause if you don't do anything about it, then nothing changes. Were just a number - we are not a person when we work there. And all you are is a customer when you shop there. It's all about the money...
If you want to make changes then you bring in a union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta

18 months ago

Hi!

I've been applying online for the past 5 months I believe. I have received no call what so ever. I visit the stores regularly to see if they need to people (Never ask them) as I stroll through the isles and I see messes, everything unorganized and nobody stocking or do anything really. I applied for all positions possible, I edit my resume frequently as I find errors but now it's perfect. I keep applying and applying and nothing! I think I'm on tier 2 or something through that assessment or something is holding me back from getting that job. I don't know why I'm not getting any calls. I don't know if I should create a new account and do the assessment all over so I have a better chance and I don't even know if the application goes to a store directly or to HQ where they briefly look at it and it's done. I don't know what to do right now because I don't feel like applying anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.