Walmart is not the place to work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 187)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Shawn White in Lewisville, Texas

15 months ago

Bunch of dingbats.

I work at the Highland Village, TX Wal-Mart. I've also worked at the Prestonwood (addison) and Coit & Bush Walmarts, and the latter is where I got my start.

The base pay rate at the Highland Village store is $9/hr. 3rd shift is $10/hr, and this is for level 0. Not all Wally World stores are minimum wage. I transferred in to stock overnights, and have been upped to IMS (.20/hr) within a week. I have opportunities to jump 4-5 pay grades already.

But, make no mistake. Walmart hourly store positions are job market entry level. You can not expect to live comfortably as an entry level employee anywhere. I have made bad choices in my life that have resulted in me being where I am today.

I have learned, and I am no stockholm syndrome case, that Walmart can be a great place to work, even in today's wally world. While woefully underpaid at the Muskogee, OK walmart, the management team, as well as my supervisor Bill, and ZMS Kendahl, were just awesome. I've never had a management team as involved or concerned with their employees as these. Granted, I was one of the best employees they had. I think, and act, as an adult. The good managers, if you happen upon them, will look out for you, and will treat you well, *if* you dedicate yourself, and take responsibility. But, there are bad ones.

There are bad stores, horribly mismanaged stores. The management team will treat you like idiot children. Yet, that is not less than what is deserved. The junior high school level of maturity of most of the associates that I have worked with is deserving of nothing less. These types account for at least 70% of my fellow associates.

This is perhaps my biggest issue with working for walmart. Dealing with my fellow associates. Immature, over-dramatizing, gossiping, loud-mouthed, clique-prone juveniles, despite their ages ranging from 25-35. The 18-20 age range, currently in or recently out of high school individuals are far better individuals to work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn White in Lewisville, Texas

15 months ago

My advice to my fellow.. Associates, is to take a long, hard look at yourselves. Check your ACE scores. Get therapy. Do what you've got to do. Also, lower your expectations. Live reasonably. Grow up. You aren't worth more than minimum wage until you prove yourself.

I'm in one of the "worst" stores in Texas. They've gone through three store managers in a year and a half. The Co- and assistant managers treat most of the associates like retarded children, and by all accounts, they're RIGHT to do so, because they act like immature idiot children that never grew out of their teens.

I haven't been there a week, and I'm the go-to-guy on the fast track to 40k/yr assistant manager salary. Not that I'll take it. I'm better than walmart. Why am I there? I hate walmart. I hate the corporate structure in general. I'm an anti-capitalism *anarchist*, but I can succeed even in this environment.

Just remember, folks. You are where you are, due to your mentality. You don't like it? Then change the way you think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

whitey woods in Kingston, New Hampshire

15 months ago

Been at one of the larger Southern NH stores for a month now as a sales associate. "Training" is almost non-existent. Still don't have full access on the Telxon so cant check prices, stock or mod new stock. Bug the zone and dept mgrs every day about it, am told "it'll get taken care of today" and it still hasn't. Managers take forever to respond with keys for locked room where we keep the electronics usually resulting in customers just walking out. One female manager at the store constantly berates associates in front of other associates and customers.
My dept is usually understaffed when it's busy and overstaffed when it's quiet.
Wal-Mart's vaunted inventory and logistics system is a joke. Inventory is ALWAYS wrong. I was told my first day if telxon says we have 3-5 of an item it really means we have none.

Glad I'm only working here for a few months before heading back to school. Funny part is I do a good job and have been offered a permanent position.
whitey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kesh in Sunnyvale, California

15 months ago

I used to work for Walmart and some are pros but most are cons. Pros:u do have good chances to move up with good work. You also get a discount card 3 months after working. Most are cons...most management are just bad at working with associates. The only one I respected and liked worked with us on the floor but the rest walk around usually in pairs on their phones. They get paid the big bucks to complain and get associates to finish tasks without lifting a finger to help while you get paid nickels and dimes to take not only their crap but customers as well. Customers know they can say and ask anything of you and u have to say yes with a a mile.. you leave with painful joints and feet and management skip to their BMWs which wouldn't really bug me except u did 10 times more work to get a tenth of what they get paid. U get pulled to every dept all the time and YOU WILL NEVER GET A HOLIDAY OFF every year they black out holidays no alternating unless of course or management. They DO have favorites and I used to be one so I got a week off for Christmas one year but some have been there 10 years plus and haven't.some slack off and some work great. But every store is differently run for example my first store had a strict absence policy at my 2nd store that same policy was laughable. People...the same people were calling in every week or at least two weeks no lie cause after months of this I started to do the same. No one cared. They can't stop theft that whole dept is a joke except for a few walkers who actually do a good job. They will return almost anything with or without proof. Sad. But now days its hard to get job so most are stuck. Gotta do what u gotta do to pay bills...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Faith in Los Angeles, California

15 months ago

Daniel, nearly 6 months later in Navarre, Florida said: So, everyone called me crazy when I said that I loved my job, well...I was promoted to Grocery Department Manager yesterday after having been with Walmart for not quite eight months. Call me foolish, but with all of these people out of work, why complain about a job period? It is a job, and either way...management cares if you care. You just have to show them that you are willing to bust your butt, and you actually care about your job and customers. I still love my job, and I will continue to love to it. Heck, I had two assistant managers that brought me in the ad office to get me to apply for an assistant manager job, and I had only been with the company five months; not to mention the fact that they also faxed my resume' to our market manager and market personnel manager. Like I said, they care if you care and if you are an exceptional worker.

I have been working for Walmart for 8+ years and I care a great deal about the company and try to do right by it, but it really seems like they don't care about us. I have been recently suffering from panic attacks which I'm sure is work related. The managers are all pretty understanding because I have been open and honest to them about my condition and they've seen me have one right in the middle of helping someone at Customer Service (where I work). I don't know what to do. Please help, someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

whitey woods in Kingston, New Hampshire

15 months ago

One of the associates told me that the store manager fired one of the electronics associates the other day. Seems the guy was waiting near the locked security room (that's where they keep all the laptops, etc)with a cart full of laptops that needed to be bin'd, waiting for the assistant manager with the key to let him in. Store manager said he'd waited too long and should go look for the mgr with the key. Associate told him he had been told not to leave the cart unattended and didn't think he should wheel the cart (one of the big flat long ones) around the store looking for the mgr. Store mgr considered this "mouthing off" and fired the guy.
3rd guy electronics has lost in 2 weeks, their dept mgr is moving to another dept, the photo dept mgr stepped down cause of the stress. Glad I'm heading back to school soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Canadalass in Campbell River, British Columbia

15 months ago

I had this whole thing written out and I deleted it. There is no point in griping about Walmart cause if you don't do anything about it, then nothing changes. Were just a number - we are not a person when we work there. And all you are is a customer when you shop there. It's all about the money...
If you want to make changes then you bring in a union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta

13 months ago

Hi!

I've been applying online for the past 5 months I believe. I have received no call what so ever. I visit the stores regularly to see if they need to people (Never ask them) as I stroll through the isles and I see messes, everything unorganized and nobody stocking or do anything really. I applied for all positions possible, I edit my resume frequently as I find errors but now it's perfect. I keep applying and applying and nothing! I think I'm on tier 2 or something through that assessment or something is holding me back from getting that job. I don't know why I'm not getting any calls. I don't know if I should create a new account and do the assessment all over so I have a better chance and I don't even know if the application goes to a store directly or to HQ where they briefly look at it and it's done. I don't know what to do right now because I don't feel like applying anymore.

lomo in Manchester, Connecticut

13 months ago

phillyphanatic2009 in Fredericksburg, Virginia said: I have worked for Wal-mart and my friends dad worked for Wal-Mart. Her story is worse than mine so I will start there. He has worked for them since a new store opening for about six years as a dpt manager. He is an older employee. Everything was fine up until recently. One day they came up to him and told him, either he has to step down from his position or he has to look forward to another job. The reason they gave him was because they were looking to restructure and hire all new dpt managers. Why did they want new dpt managers because the current ones were getting paid to much. So he said ok and took an overnight position in grocery stocking shelves. This was ok for a little while until one day corporate goes and says they expect each stoc person to cut open, place items on shelf and crush the boxes in less then a minute. What is sad is they would actually stand there with a stop watch and time them. Now he works in lawn in garden. He wants to leave but at his age its hard for him to find something else.

yea its true about overnight 1 box per minute which is possible but i dont feel paid enough for that 10/h in ct not good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta

13 months ago

sidsid in Annandale, Virginia said: Hello

I was hired and started job as a cashier on october 2012 and then I got promotion as customer service associate and then I was working as service desk associate but in mean time i was getting scheduled at 4 am some days to put up signs and work on the floor long hours. and some days they would schedule me to unload the truck with big boxes. I was a service desk associate not an unloader. Today I went to my job and saw that they had someone else on Service desk and wanted me to work on freight and also unload the truck. I really got fed up of this job and then I left the job without even telling someone because I could not take it anymore.
Is it legal for the retail stores If the company uses the employee like this? Are they allowed to do this?
If Yes how? If no then what should I do to just show them the music?

Can anyone help me with this please

If you read the job description when you applied, it basically does have or say what all you will be requested to do. What you should do is talk to your supervisor or manager about it and if they don't give you an appropriate answer, quit because they really are using you or talk to head office who may take care of the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

13 months ago

I worked for Walmart for a very short time during the holiday season almost a decade ago as a temp, I quit quickly because of management incompetency. I dislike even going to Walmart in general. Something is wrong with that store's culture from all sides - from the customers bullying cashiers and crowding into each other, from the cashiers made to take abuse plus they themselves abusing customers back because they are stressed from those bad customers and bad management, to the corporation itself and the culture it fosters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

jpcarguy in Colorado Springs, Colorado

12 months ago

I have worked for Walmart since November 2012, it has constantly been a bad experience from the start, first of all, I was told there were "safety issues" with me in TLE but only come to find out that managers were using my badge to get out of things. This happened a lot and I thought I was doing good, officially myself and another woman are the only two survivors and we had not been there even 8 months yet. So I was demoted from TLE on my first writeup and put on Cart Pusher. Heck if I thought TLE was bad cart pushing was even worse, the store is heavily understaffed with Cart Pushers which is why I am still there. I was written up for being sick for two days and was told to not talk to anyone off the clock. Then I was written up for going to my meal and was off the clock and was the only Cart Pusher that day with no one to cover me, because the CSS did not want to push carts to cover my hour meal, I was written up for that whole hour meal. An assistant manager, my current manager and personal along with the CSS and another CSS who pushed carts with him, so they wanted to cover for Cashiers but Cart Pushing only takes 3-5 minutes per corral and I was told the reason why I'm a Cart Pusher was to get to know the associates and customers. Now I can't talk to anyone and they want me to quit, I now know why my friend said "I never want to work for that place again." and he was let go 7-8 years ago. 7-8 YEARS is a long time and he still says that, I now am looking foward to another job, even the Military would be better than this place, because the Military at least has STRUCTURE AND ORDER and it's a good opportunity to start my career. There's no base at Walmart nor is there structure, a union's not for everybody but structure is key and my store is so understaffed, even the managers unload boxes and help stock shelves. There you have it, that's my work experience at Walmart, Sam Walton would not be happy if he were alive today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

zip zipperssopn in Helena, Montana

12 months ago

tealynn in Lynchburg, Virginia said: walmart employees do not have low iqs.YOU obviously do and are in the management training program!THOSE ARE THE ONLY LOW IQ IDIOTYS WALMART HIRES.

What is idioty?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

zip zipperssopn in Helena, Montana

12 months ago

asssintant manger at walmarrt in Easley, South Carolina said: Mos of thes peple complaning abot thir job at walmarrt are lazzy. im assintantt manuger at walmarrt and wat we say go. so thir!

What? Can you write that in English?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

T 980 in Red Bluff, California

12 months ago

jpcarguy in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I have worked...

I have a couple of associates that are under a magnifying glass by the store manager because they didn't allow themselves to be bullied by being forced to go to a different department with different hours and less pay. I think it's crap but I support them 100%.

In your position, use the open door policy and voice your concerns with the store manager. From the sound of it a meeting won't do much, but it will be useful when you get a hold of their boss, the region manager. If you have a major problem within the store and it's management, go to him/her. Just keep following the chain of command until you get some answers. You shouldn't be getting in trouble this much. Well, unless you're not telling the whole story (not accusing you of that or anything, just stating, lol).

Every now and then management needs to be reminded that their employees are people just like them, not pieces of meat they can do as they please. I understand that management needs to be firm or mean every now and then, but having them abuse their power and getting someone to try and quit is not ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

stresslock in Calgary, Alberta

12 months ago

I got a call today after applying more than a month ago for this particular store. Was unable to pick up so another family member did. I called back later and personnel was not available anymore according to the store manager, he assumes that I was called because they were having an orientation tomorrow.. I can't attend and I'm busy till next week when I'm free. The only thing I can hope for is that my place is still there for a job and that when I call back Monday, I can get a hold of personnel. Anybody think that I'll lose this opportunity? I'm shocked that it might be a call for an interview but for an orientation. Your feedback please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

stresslock in Calgary, Alberta said: I got a call today after applying more than a month ago for this particular store. Was unable to pick up so another family member did. I called back later and personnel was not available anymore according to the store manager, he assumes that I was called because they were having an orientation tomorrow.. I can't attend and I'm busy till next week when I'm free. The only thing I can hope for is that my place is still there for a job and that when I call back Monday, I can get a hold of personnel. Anybody think that I'll lose this opportunity? I'm shocked that it might be a call for an interview but for an orientation. Your feedback please?

Call the store the first chance you get and ask for management. Straight up ask them and get a clear answer. With my store the managers will at least attempt to work with you (within reason). It can't hurt to get some sort of answer out of them. Just tell them what's going on and go from there.

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dbincarrollton in Houston, Texas

11 months ago

I got a call today to come in for an interview tomorrow at Walmart. I can honestly say that after reading the comments I am afraid to go to the interview!

I must say that if you are in a position where you don't have any income or are 60 years old and not eligible for unemployment and just about to depleted your savings and have no relatives in town....Walmart looks like it may be just perfect even with all the negative comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

dbincarrollton in Houston, Texas said: I got a call today to come in for an interview tomorrow at Walmart. I can honestly say that after reading the comments I am afraid to go to the interview!

I must say that if you are in a position where you don't have any income or are 60 years old and not eligible for unemployment and just about to depleted your savings and have no relatives in town....Walmart looks like it may be just perfect even with all the negative comments.

They are the largest private employer in the United States.

kim heid in Tucson, Arizona

11 months ago

MatthewEdwardHall.com in Ocala, Florida said: actually im part time getting 38 hours a week, you just got to make friends with managment, and ask for more hours. walmart is like the army, treat it like a rank. respect your managers.

Respect lol, u have to earn respect. None of the managers deserve any. Treat me like crap I will give it right back.

11 months ago

I don't have one good thing to say about walmart they have different rules for everyone. If you kiss mgr butt you get away with whatever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

inGodshands in Atlanta, Georgia

11 months ago

I just got hired at walmart [temp] grocery. Will there be an opportunity to move to parttime/fulltime and train in different departments. Excited

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

luv2hugmonkeys in Butler, New Jersey said: Do you realize that you do not know how to spell..lol, therefore, you belong at Walmart with the rest of the idiots

Lol, so people who work at walmart are idiots. I hate walmart but people need to work. Which you probably don't

11 months ago

Michel in Buford, Georgia said: And then get fired, with other words you do not work hard enough. So you get coached and it's all on the managers back.

"Workers" like you are a joke, i see them come and go in dozens.
Truth is, most people do not have the speed nor care to work in a retail store.
All the do, is talk and play with there Iphones. And ride the dang clock, so a other hard working associate can fill in there lack of speed and work ethic.

Keep wining, like your the victim..seen it all, people like you deserve to be fired.

You don't, even know me. I work hard and do whatever I am asked, but do we get any appreciation or thank you hell no, just pulled in the office when they decide it's time to pick on someone.

11 months ago

Not to burst your bubble but don't count on it.

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

10 months ago

Worked as a truck unloader for a little over a year. Mostly, my nights would consist of punching in at 4 in the afternoon, heading back to receiving and spending 4-6 hours unloading a truck, depending on the size of the truck and how terribly understaffed we were that particular evening. Then, when we finally got to go to lunch at 9 or 10PM, we'd come back in and pull freight to the floor, restack pallets, etc. If we had any time after that was done, we'd do picks and take care of claims, sweep out the trailer, etc. Then it was time to clock out, at 1AM.

I won't say that Wal-Mart did nothing for me. I learned alot through my experiences while working, since it was my first 'real job'. I was certified and given experience with running power-lifting equipment, and I met alot of great people. However, certain things make my particular store an unbearable place to work, and I feel that it's this way in alot of other stores.

1. We are constantly understaffed. During my year or so of working as an unloader at Wal-Mart, we always consistently had no more than 4 people working on the freight line. The 'magic number' that is recommended and supposed by the receiving guidelines is 6 unloaders at all times. This doesn't even count the numerous times that unloaders were pulled from receiving to go and do other things, like critical picks or pushing carts, etc. As an unloader, you were expected to do the work of three or four people by yourself.

2. Management is ALWAYS down your throat. Because of the understaffing problem as mentioned above, trucks would sometimes not be finished until late in the night, sometimes even extending beyond our shift. They will call you, they will pester you, they will make threats, they will do anything in their power to make you finish that truck short of actually picking up a box and helping to clear the line. During my last few weeks there, the new store manager actually pitted the managers against us, by telling the other managers...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

10 months ago

By telling the other managers that they could not leave until the truck was finished. This turned up the heat greatly on our crew, which was already short-staffed. These sorts of conniving methods of divide and conquer are quite common in Wal-Mart management.

3. Favoritism ran rampant. Blue-collar cliques have formed over years, and you're not in that clique. Certain people would be singled out, coached, shouted at, treated rudely, for the tiniest of infractions or even when they were only doing their jobs. I've seen people accused of time-theft for spending too much time helping a customer. Others would be praised and lavished, despite the fact that they did nothing but stand around and talk for the majority of their shift. A co-worker and I used to call the break-room the 'hen-house' for this reason. The troublemakers and tattle-tales would gather there to discuss their next conspiracy.

4. Policies change and nobody even knows about it until the very hour it changes. For instance, one night, one of our managers informed us that we could not wear hats in the back-room anymore. This announcement came completely out of the blue, with no fore-warning of any kind.

5. Quite often, certain employees would be singled out to perform certain tasks, like throwing the truck or going out to cover the stockman position and push carts. Myself and a co-worker were singled out in this fashion many times, being told simply that we were 'it' and we had to either do it or be coached, despite the fact that we were not hired to perform that work. It was a real pain to go into work every day, begin your shift, and have no idea what you would be doing that day. For example, one of my co-workers was told to do picks in the freezer when he was wearing shorts and had no coat and no gloves or anything. He told them no and he was coached as a result. Expecting a person to go into a freezer that is 10 below zero in shorts is absolutely outrageous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

10 months ago

On the flip-side of this, certain employees would be given easy tasks to do, consistently, and would never have to take on any of the duties as mentioned above, either because they were women or because they would inflate the manager's ego.

6. Managers would be completely and unnecessarily rude to associates, in a way that is not at all professional or suitable for the workplace, especially in a place of business. They treat employees like pre-school children, and patronize employees constantly.

7. Unsafe working conditions were the order of the day, every day. Spills would go left alone in the back-room, broken glass was left to sit around, paint and other flammable substances were left to sit, un-contained for weeks at a time. Equipment was always damaged or left in disorder, sometimes making this equipment either difficult or downright dangerous to use. Things were always scattered around, packed into crevices and crannies, in a very undersized back-room, creating trip hazards and blocking associates from getting to items and getting work done. The way the trucks were sometimes loaded was completely dangerous, with boxes and heavy pieces of furniture falling on you, contaminated product, dangerous chemicals leaking, etc. In my year, I saw at least two broken bones and three concussions. The trucks are quite often in excess of 120 degrees inside, and even hotter in the Summer. Heat-stroke and seizures are a constant threat.

8. You are expected to do the impossible. The freezer is packed with fully-stacked pallets and carts? Too bad, you need to get all of those picks or you will be coached. A bin is stacked higher than any human-being can reach? Too bad, climb up on that ladder and do a balancing act to get the item you need. You're expected to do these things and more, if you don't, you'll be coached.

In-general, I think people should have a right to know how their products and food are handled. Unloading trucks shed a whole new light on this, for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

10 months ago

TVs and other expensive electronics were stacked very stupidly, thrown, slammed around, and many products were routinely broken or damaged. This is because of the ludicrous times the managers would expect you to have these trucks finished. It is impossible to be gentle with merchandise, stack it properly, and handle it with care, when you have a manager screaming that the truck needs to be done in 20 minutes when you've got three panels to go in the trailer.

Food was quite often soaked in motor oil, transmission fluid, and many other chemicals, and sometimes cross-contaminated with other food, only to be sent out to the salesfloor later. The amount of waste and damaged product was unbelievable at times, to me.

Anyway, in conclusion, I decided to quit for all of the reasons above. I do not agree with the company's business ethics or policies. I don't agree with the way employees are treated, and consistently underpaid and overworked. Some stores are better of course, but this is merely my story, at my particular store.

I would say conclusively that Wal-Mart is not a good place to work unless it's a good store, with great managers. Even then, company policy and their draconian way of handling associates and unions is ridiculous. I will say this: a portion of the co-workers I had were some of the greatest, most entertaining people I've ever met, and I'm glad for my experiences. My co-workers pulled me through, most days, as I helped them through.

If you decide to work at Wal-Mart, or if you have to, I wish you good luck. Hopefully your store isn't as badly run as the one I worked at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

This was my first coaching all my evaluation have been excellant. They just always change rules I n midstream. Its cool tho. I don't care anymore.

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

10 months ago

Michel in Buford, Georgia said: Omg your so full of crap....

Food is NEVER mixed up with GM side trucks ! That deliver TLE (tire lube center) stuff.
And whenever there chemicals spilled, it's up to the people that DOWNSTACK the pallets, to remove it. If there to lazy, stockers do that...

Your so full of sh*t lol

In stores with two receiving crews, this might be the case.

In my particular store, there was only one receiving crew and four bays. The GM trailers ALWAYS were mixed between various grocery freight and everything else that came in. This is how the trucks were loaded and delivered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

I truly believe that everyone's experience will always be "eff walmart" or "eh, it's not so bad" depending ENTIRELY on management. From most of the stuff I've read on here, the common denominator is always "And management does this...". That is one thing I love about my store. Despite my store manager's love for kiss asses and suck up's, she can be fair when the time calls for it. You could be the most hated person in the store but if you have a legitimate complaint, she will listen and take action. She's far from perfect but you can at least respect her.

As for the truck unloading. In our store it's the complete opposite. Our managers will go out of their way and pull floor associates off the floor in shifts to make sure the truck gets done by 7-8. The only time they stay past 8 is if there are only a few boxes left and to make sure the line is clear. Even then they go to lunch at 8:15 at the latest. Lately it's been hard since the home office has demanded that we slash hours across the board, only leaving us with 3 to 4 truck crew guys, some at only a 4 hour shift. Also, it never helped that we would only have 4 people covering electronics, photo, foods, pets, chemicals, HBA, hardware, sporting goods, and toys. Our managers respect hard work so hopefully helping them out on a nightly basis WHILE being able to get my picks and zoning done will work in my favor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ramond Lee in Portsmouth, Virginia

10 months ago

derron18 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I just started walmart as a truck unloader. Is my job temporary? And whats the starting pay for that position?

What did the tell you when they hired you smh

Ally in Aurora, Ontario

10 months ago

My best experience: I found out the supervisor (who I had liked) for my area didn't like me and had transferred me out when I came in to work and was told so by the person who was given my job. Amazingly I didn't quit. Should have. Did a few months later for being harassed by another supervisor. If you take the job, don't stop applying for others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alibongo in Telford, United Kingdom

10 months ago

I'm in the UK. If you work at Walmart, I would like some Malt 'o Meal cereal imported into the UK and other foods later. Only reply if you're interested. I'm only looking for 1 person, preferably on the east coast of USA. Food items will need to be posted to the UK.Looking forward to hearing from you.

dbincarrollton in Houston, Texas

10 months ago

So, I've been working @ walmart for 3 weeks now and to tell you the truth I almost walked out one day. As I told them prior to hire I had NO cashier experience, "that's okay they will train you"....That was not exactly true information. I was forced on the floor after the 2nd day of working there and told by a very rude and unkind CSM that they put the cashier on the floor after 2 days and I was also asked to work a cashier alone to which I replied no. As I stated before I have NO cashier experience and the training giving on the floor is scary. You try to watch and learn but it's hard because the cashier you are shadowing is not explain why and what he/she is doing, just doing it. There was no cbl to introduce me to the cash register and all the icons on it. I admit I have messed up a few times especially with the shop cards and when you call a csm for help they talk down to you and make you feel like an idiot. I did ask one of the csms if there was a cbl that I could watch because I felt so dumb. Her reply was "you'll get it", gee, thanks for your help. I have had the csms tell me I'm too slow or roll their eyes when I ask for help. It got so bad with the csms that I only ask other cashiers when I need to fix a problem or ask a question.

But I did not walk out and I am getting better with the help of fellow cashiers who obviously remember that they were once new.

I really like the contact with the customers (bad and nice) and I really need the job.

Wish me success!!

10 months ago

dbincarrollton in Houston, Texas said:
Wish me success!!

That's just the bad thing about being a cashier. There isn't much you can do other then just keep working at it until you 'get it'. When i was looking to get some more hours post-holiday season I was pretty much thrust onto a register. Although in my case, the CSM's at hour store were very nice to me and would drop what they were doing to make sure my questions were answered.

It sounds like you should talk to your assistant manager and tell them what's going on. There's no reason CSM's should be talking down to you. They are just glorified cashier's with a telzon and they are there to make sure the cash registers run as smoothly as possible. If they don't want to help you then they are not doing their job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danatell in Coventry, Connecticut

9 months ago

Geeze, I feel like it was me writing your post! I pretty much went through the same scenerio as you. I have my orientation tomorrow. While I was waiting to be interviewed everyone who passed by me asked if I needed help or gave me a smile. So far so good. I'm looking forward to working there. I will repost again soon to let you all know whether I feel the same.

soulschizm in New Bern, North Carolina said: All i can say is each store is it's own some have bad people others have amazing people and the one i am in which is Havelock NC is amazing everyone there is very helpful and nice *yes i work there*. went through 2 interviews by myself and each one was 1 on 1. a supervisor and then with the Store manager *main guy* and at the end of the 2nd interview he told me i had the job i went to the company to take a drug test and 4 days later they called to set up orientation. And when they called to tell me when it was that was still 3 days away so a full week before i had to go in. The store manager himself started out as a cart pusher. It really all depends on your store most if not all walmart stores are there own store i think all but not gonna say it is if it isn't. Also while waiting to be interviewed and waiting for orientation every single associate that walked by asked if we have been helped or if they knew why we were there said either "How are yall doing" or just a simple "Hey" maybe i am just lucky but this walmart is really nice and i believe they believe in treating everyone that works there like family and the customers very nicely.

9 months ago

Finally a positive quote about Walmart! I'll be going to orientation tomorrow. I'm truly looking forward to it, but after reading all these negative posts I'm getting a little nervous! I want to succeed. I would be more than happy to get promoted quickly. Thanks for sharing your story and I'm hope your still in good health!

this guy in Seattle, Washington said: I agree with you 100%, I started working at walmart at 18 with no real plans for the future yet,to me it was just a job to pay the bills. I started out in electronics and learned everything there was to know about it. Then a position for a CSM opened and I grabbed at that. I'm so glad I took that job. I believe being a CSM prepared me for many things to come. Like usual I was always looking for the next best or fun thing I could do at walmart. I then swapped CSMing for pets, then garden. This was a great department. Working in the summer outside in the sun, no stress, easy , good people to work with. My next job came as a total shocker. I found out that walmart will train employes for free to become a pharmacist technician and I was all over that. I started by helping cashier in the pharmacy, becoming familiar with the works. I was barley 19 years old. By the time I was 25 I was already making three times as much money as when I first started in electronics. My point is that options are open at walmart for those who pursue them. Sure low pay at first that never seems to get better, long hours, weird hours, but if you show them your serious and dependable you can do good with this company. One last thing I would like to share, I was diagnosed with stage four hodgkins lymphoma cancer at 26, but with my good benefits and support from my store I sailed through four years of chemo, radiation, bone marrow transplants, etc...Now a few years later I still love my job and have nothing but good things to say about what walmart can do for you. You just have to go look for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Former Walmart Employee in Long Island City, New York

9 months ago

i loved my job at Walmart. even went to the managers &' asked for more hours i took anybody days who didnt wanna work.
then Walmart let me down.
i was in a car accident which caused my right arm and left leg not to move
i still came to work and they would send me home.
then after two days they shut my online schedule down
i called them and she said i was terminated i wanted to cry cause i was the only one who did my job and loved it.
before that my managers kept finding reasons to get me on trouble. one time the manger never even came and got me for my lunch break. they told me if i get off my register its a violations but after working 6 hours the register kicked me off and i had to sit in the office with the store manager now Walmart just is not the same

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AS IF in Boston, Massachusetts

9 months ago

The Walmart sob stories on here are just as bad as the corrupt state controlled media's illegal immigrant sob stories!! Pathetic! Nobody is keeping your mother at Walmart - it's a free country (as of the time of this posting - may not last too much longer). Why didn't she pack her crap and move on? 11 years? All that time she could've gone to school and become a physician!!!

Stop your complaining! At least Walmart hasn't gotten rid of the cashiers altogether and is keeping some jobs for those who hate to work there!

Get a grip - pull your panties out of the bunch, put on your big girl boots and get to walking lady! AS IF!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

mrmcclary85 in Kingstree, South Carolina

9 months ago

I've worked for wally world for 8 month's now. I wouldn't advise anyone to work there if they can help it. I have no plans of staying in walmart any longer than I have to. Walmart has too many damn managers all of whom seem to be on a power trip. The pay is crappy, you never are given adequate time to finish one thing and the customers can almost drive you over the edge sometimes. Quite frankly I'm surprised I've lasted this long seeing as how my zone manager seems to have a multiple personality disorder and I'm not one to put up with people just shooting there mouth off at me all types of ways. who knows though I may not last too much longer. There are better things to do in life and working at walmart is certainly not one of them.

Gary in Cincinnati, Ohio

9 months ago

stresslock in Calgary, Alberta said: I got a call today after applying more than a month ago for this particular store. Was unable to pick up so another family member did. I called back later and personnel was not available anymore according to the store manager, he assumes that I was called because they were having an orientation tomorrow.. I can't attend and I'm busy till next week when I'm free. The only thing I can hope for is that my place is still there for a job and that when I call back Monday, I can get a hold of personnel. Anybody think that I'll lose this opportunity? I'm shocked that it might be a call for an interview but for an orientation. Your feedback please?

You may not have a job it depends. I got called in two hours before orientation and I asked the lady if it could be rescheduled and she said she didn't know when she could re schedule so I accepted the short two hour call to get in there and it was suppose to be a 3 hour orientation but lasted 3 1/2 hours but at least I got paid for my troubles. It seems when they call you up go when they ask you if you need a job otherwise you might have missed your chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Cincinnati, Ohio

9 months ago

I wish I could stay at home and collect Obama checks. I got laid off and my company went out of business and I am 59 years old and who is going to hire a 59 year old man almost ready to retire. If the company I worked for didn't go out of business I would still be there. I can retire at 62 and that is what I am going to do and collect some Obama checks heck yes I worked all my life and I think I deserve it. I will be thinking about the ones who crap on me because I got a job at Walmart. Hey its a job and like I said I only have two more years then I am out of the rat race.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Cincinnati, Ohio

9 months ago

I just started Walmart today and it wasn't bad where I work. The people who work there are down to earth people and need a paycheck like everyone else. I worked 9 hrs today in IMS which is Iventory Management System in the very back and I enjoyed it. You get an hour for lunch and 2 15 minute breaks. It only pays 8.25 hour and you get paid bi weekly. Not much on the hour but you can eventually move up and get more money but like I said in the above post I am going to retire in 2 more years. My home is paid off and I have my 401 k. So not to bad for me anyway and the job isn't bad it depends on where you live and the kind of people that live there. Here where I live the people are nice and that makes a difference. I seen some horror stories about Walmart but here Cincinnati Ohio its ok. For the people starting I would say if the people are nice in your area and the workers you wont have any problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Samuel in Round Rock, Texas

8 months ago

I would rather hang out under the bridge with the homeless guys and pidgins than work another day for walmart...
Ok so I helped a customer who was looking for something. I wasn't able to find what they were looking for but they requested to speak with a manager. I go to find a manager and the customer waited patiently to fill out a thank you card for me because they were happy about the service they received. I worked in the back at the time and spent little time on the floor. Out of the 700 people working at the store only 25 associate thank you cards were up on the "spark wall". This wasn't taken into consideration when giving out my raise as I was only given "solid performer". WALMART DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ITS CUSTOMERS OR WORKERS PERIOD. I told my assistant manager that I wasn't happy about my schedule, he told me when I transferred that he would keep my days off together if I opened up my availability, but didn't come through with what he promised. After mentioninng that I wasn't happy about my schedule, he told me "WALMART ISN'T CONCERNED WITH YOUR HAPPINESS" There are so many more BAD STORIES I could say about working there. I wasted over 4 years with a company I won't step foot in any of their stores again. They are VERY UNFAIR in how they treat people working for them period.
Sincerely EX Meat department manager, meat, truck crew, deli, garden, cashier and produce associate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AS IF in Boston, Massachusetts

8 months ago

Ungrateful. You should be thankful to have a job to go to. Quit if you hate it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up in Tucson, Arizona

8 months ago

AS IF in Boston, Massachusetts said: Ungrateful. You should be thankful to have a job to go to. Quit if you hate it

You are such a "Jerk". Most people who work at Wally World get stuck there. Everyday they cringe going there but know they have to pay bills. thank God, I started back to College, made Dean's list. I am so much better than that place. I work there right now but counting the days when I can tell them exactly what I think of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

If you stay there for a few years and then land yourself an interview for a better job, why would you want to blow a good reference by bashing Walmart?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up in Tucson, Arizona

8 months ago

Danatell in Coventry, Connecticut said: If you stay there for a few years and then land yourself an interview for a better job, why would you want to blow a good reference by bashing Walmart?

The one I work at is not fair. They cater to certain individuals. I have been there 2 years doing the wireless center, and very good at it. But whenever a full time position comes open they give it to some one else. I am not a prejudice person, but they always seem to promote the hispanics at my store. And 1 was a very good friend of mine who started after I did with no experience and they gave her the full time wireless position. All things are not bad at wally world, just the favoritism and when someone gets a little promotion all of a sudden they become a different person.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.