Walmart is not the place to work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 190)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

stresslock in Calgary, Alberta

23 months ago

I got a call today after applying more than a month ago for this particular store. Was unable to pick up so another family member did. I called back later and personnel was not available anymore according to the store manager, he assumes that I was called because they were having an orientation tomorrow.. I can't attend and I'm busy till next week when I'm free. The only thing I can hope for is that my place is still there for a job and that when I call back Monday, I can get a hold of personnel. Anybody think that I'll lose this opportunity? I'm shocked that it might be a call for an interview but for an orientation. Your feedback please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

T 980 in Red Bluff, California

23 months ago

stresslock in Calgary, Alberta said: I got a call today after applying more than a month ago for this particular store. Was unable to pick up so another family member did. I called back later and personnel was not available anymore according to the store manager, he assumes that I was called because they were having an orientation tomorrow.. I can't attend and I'm busy till next week when I'm free. The only thing I can hope for is that my place is still there for a job and that when I call back Monday, I can get a hold of personnel. Anybody think that I'll lose this opportunity? I'm shocked that it might be a call for an interview but for an orientation. Your feedback please?

Call the store the first chance you get and ask for management. Straight up ask them and get a clear answer. With my store the managers will at least attempt to work with you (within reason). It can't hurt to get some sort of answer out of them. Just tell them what's going on and go from there.

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dbincarrollton in Houston, Texas

23 months ago

I got a call today to come in for an interview tomorrow at Walmart. I can honestly say that after reading the comments I am afraid to go to the interview!

I must say that if you are in a position where you don't have any income or are 60 years old and not eligible for unemployment and just about to depleted your savings and have no relatives in town....Walmart looks like it may be just perfect even with all the negative comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

dbincarrollton in Houston, Texas said: I got a call today to come in for an interview tomorrow at Walmart. I can honestly say that after reading the comments I am afraid to go to the interview!

I must say that if you are in a position where you don't have any income or are 60 years old and not eligible for unemployment and just about to depleted your savings and have no relatives in town....Walmart looks like it may be just perfect even with all the negative comments.

They are the largest private employer in the United States.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kim heid in Tucson, Arizona

23 months ago

MatthewEdwardHall.com in Ocala, Florida said: actually im part time getting 38 hours a week, you just got to make friends with managment, and ask for more hours. walmart is like the army, treat it like a rank. respect your managers.

Respect lol, u have to earn respect. None of the managers deserve any. Treat me like crap I will give it right back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I don't have one good thing to say about walmart they have different rules for everyone. If you kiss mgr butt you get away with whatever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

inGodshands in Atlanta, Georgia

23 months ago

I just got hired at walmart [temp] grocery. Will there be an opportunity to move to parttime/fulltime and train in different departments. Excited

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Not to burst your bubble but don't count on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

22 months ago

Worked as a truck unloader for a little over a year. Mostly, my nights would consist of punching in at 4 in the afternoon, heading back to receiving and spending 4-6 hours unloading a truck, depending on the size of the truck and how terribly understaffed we were that particular evening. Then, when we finally got to go to lunch at 9 or 10PM, we'd come back in and pull freight to the floor, restack pallets, etc. If we had any time after that was done, we'd do picks and take care of claims, sweep out the trailer, etc. Then it was time to clock out, at 1AM.

I won't say that Wal-Mart did nothing for me. I learned alot through my experiences while working, since it was my first 'real job'. I was certified and given experience with running power-lifting equipment, and I met alot of great people. However, certain things make my particular store an unbearable place to work, and I feel that it's this way in alot of other stores.

1. We are constantly understaffed. During my year or so of working as an unloader at Wal-Mart, we always consistently had no more than 4 people working on the freight line. The 'magic number' that is recommended and supposed by the receiving guidelines is 6 unloaders at all times. This doesn't even count the numerous times that unloaders were pulled from receiving to go and do other things, like critical picks or pushing carts, etc. As an unloader, you were expected to do the work of three or four people by yourself.

2. Management is ALWAYS down your throat. Because of the understaffing problem as mentioned above, trucks would sometimes not be finished until late in the night, sometimes even extending beyond our shift. They will call you, they will pester you, they will make threats, they will do anything in their power to make you finish that truck short of actually picking up a box and helping to clear the line. During my last few weeks there, the new store manager actually pitted the managers against us, by telling the other managers...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

22 months ago

By telling the other managers that they could not leave until the truck was finished. This turned up the heat greatly on our crew, which was already short-staffed. These sorts of conniving methods of divide and conquer are quite common in Wal-Mart management.

3. Favoritism ran rampant. Blue-collar cliques have formed over years, and you're not in that clique. Certain people would be singled out, coached, shouted at, treated rudely, for the tiniest of infractions or even when they were only doing their jobs. I've seen people accused of time-theft for spending too much time helping a customer. Others would be praised and lavished, despite the fact that they did nothing but stand around and talk for the majority of their shift. A co-worker and I used to call the break-room the 'hen-house' for this reason. The troublemakers and tattle-tales would gather there to discuss their next conspiracy.

4. Policies change and nobody even knows about it until the very hour it changes. For instance, one night, one of our managers informed us that we could not wear hats in the back-room anymore. This announcement came completely out of the blue, with no fore-warning of any kind.

5. Quite often, certain employees would be singled out to perform certain tasks, like throwing the truck or going out to cover the stockman position and push carts. Myself and a co-worker were singled out in this fashion many times, being told simply that we were 'it' and we had to either do it or be coached, despite the fact that we were not hired to perform that work. It was a real pain to go into work every day, begin your shift, and have no idea what you would be doing that day. For example, one of my co-workers was told to do picks in the freezer when he was wearing shorts and had no coat and no gloves or anything. He told them no and he was coached as a result. Expecting a person to go into a freezer that is 10 below zero in shorts is absolutely outrageous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

22 months ago

On the flip-side of this, certain employees would be given easy tasks to do, consistently, and would never have to take on any of the duties as mentioned above, either because they were women or because they would inflate the manager's ego.

6. Managers would be completely and unnecessarily rude to associates, in a way that is not at all professional or suitable for the workplace, especially in a place of business. They treat employees like pre-school children, and patronize employees constantly.

7. Unsafe working conditions were the order of the day, every day. Spills would go left alone in the back-room, broken glass was left to sit around, paint and other flammable substances were left to sit, un-contained for weeks at a time. Equipment was always damaged or left in disorder, sometimes making this equipment either difficult or downright dangerous to use. Things were always scattered around, packed into crevices and crannies, in a very undersized back-room, creating trip hazards and blocking associates from getting to items and getting work done. The way the trucks were sometimes loaded was completely dangerous, with boxes and heavy pieces of furniture falling on you, contaminated product, dangerous chemicals leaking, etc. In my year, I saw at least two broken bones and three concussions. The trucks are quite often in excess of 120 degrees inside, and even hotter in the Summer. Heat-stroke and seizures are a constant threat.

8. You are expected to do the impossible. The freezer is packed with fully-stacked pallets and carts? Too bad, you need to get all of those picks or you will be coached. A bin is stacked higher than any human-being can reach? Too bad, climb up on that ladder and do a balancing act to get the item you need. You're expected to do these things and more, if you don't, you'll be coached.

In-general, I think people should have a right to know how their products and food are handled. Unloading trucks shed a whole new light on this, for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

22 months ago

TVs and other expensive electronics were stacked very stupidly, thrown, slammed around, and many products were routinely broken or damaged. This is because of the ludicrous times the managers would expect you to have these trucks finished. It is impossible to be gentle with merchandise, stack it properly, and handle it with care, when you have a manager screaming that the truck needs to be done in 20 minutes when you've got three panels to go in the trailer.

Food was quite often soaked in motor oil, transmission fluid, and many other chemicals, and sometimes cross-contaminated with other food, only to be sent out to the salesfloor later. The amount of waste and damaged product was unbelievable at times, to me.

Anyway, in conclusion, I decided to quit for all of the reasons above. I do not agree with the company's business ethics or policies. I don't agree with the way employees are treated, and consistently underpaid and overworked. Some stores are better of course, but this is merely my story, at my particular store.

I would say conclusively that Wal-Mart is not a good place to work unless it's a good store, with great managers. Even then, company policy and their draconian way of handling associates and unions is ridiculous. I will say this: a portion of the co-workers I had were some of the greatest, most entertaining people I've ever met, and I'm glad for my experiences. My co-workers pulled me through, most days, as I helped them through.

If you decide to work at Wal-Mart, or if you have to, I wish you good luck. Hopefully your store isn't as badly run as the one I worked at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

This was my first coaching all my evaluation have been excellant. They just always change rules I n midstream. Its cool tho. I don't care anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

BigZ in Akron, Ohio

22 months ago

Michel in Buford, Georgia said: Omg your so full of crap....

Food is NEVER mixed up with GM side trucks ! That deliver TLE (tire lube center) stuff.
And whenever there chemicals spilled, it's up to the people that DOWNSTACK the pallets, to remove it. If there to lazy, stockers do that...

Your so full of sh*t lol

In stores with two receiving crews, this might be the case.

In my particular store, there was only one receiving crew and four bays. The GM trailers ALWAYS were mixed between various grocery freight and everything else that came in. This is how the trucks were loaded and delivered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

I truly believe that everyone's experience will always be "eff walmart" or "eh, it's not so bad" depending ENTIRELY on management. From most of the stuff I've read on here, the common denominator is always "And management does this...". That is one thing I love about my store. Despite my store manager's love for kiss asses and suck up's, she can be fair when the time calls for it. You could be the most hated person in the store but if you have a legitimate complaint, she will listen and take action. She's far from perfect but you can at least respect her.

As for the truck unloading. In our store it's the complete opposite. Our managers will go out of their way and pull floor associates off the floor in shifts to make sure the truck gets done by 7-8. The only time they stay past 8 is if there are only a few boxes left and to make sure the line is clear. Even then they go to lunch at 8:15 at the latest. Lately it's been hard since the home office has demanded that we slash hours across the board, only leaving us with 3 to 4 truck crew guys, some at only a 4 hour shift. Also, it never helped that we would only have 4 people covering electronics, photo, foods, pets, chemicals, HBA, hardware, sporting goods, and toys. Our managers respect hard work so hopefully helping them out on a nightly basis WHILE being able to get my picks and zoning done will work in my favor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ramond Lee in Portsmouth, Virginia

22 months ago

derron18 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I just started walmart as a truck unloader. Is my job temporary? And whats the starting pay for that position?

What did the tell you when they hired you smh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ally in Aurora, Ontario

22 months ago

My best experience: I found out the supervisor (who I had liked) for my area didn't like me and had transferred me out when I came in to work and was told so by the person who was given my job. Amazingly I didn't quit. Should have. Did a few months later for being harassed by another supervisor. If you take the job, don't stop applying for others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dbincarrollton in Houston, Texas

22 months ago

So, I've been working @ walmart for 3 weeks now and to tell you the truth I almost walked out one day. As I told them prior to hire I had NO cashier experience, "that's okay they will train you"....That was not exactly true information. I was forced on the floor after the 2nd day of working there and told by a very rude and unkind CSM that they put the cashier on the floor after 2 days and I was also asked to work a cashier alone to which I replied no. As I stated before I have NO cashier experience and the training giving on the floor is scary. You try to watch and learn but it's hard because the cashier you are shadowing is not explain why and what he/she is doing, just doing it. There was no cbl to introduce me to the cash register and all the icons on it. I admit I have messed up a few times especially with the shop cards and when you call a csm for help they talk down to you and make you feel like an idiot. I did ask one of the csms if there was a cbl that I could watch because I felt so dumb. Her reply was "you'll get it", gee, thanks for your help. I have had the csms tell me I'm too slow or roll their eyes when I ask for help. It got so bad with the csms that I only ask other cashiers when I need to fix a problem or ask a question.

But I did not walk out and I am getting better with the help of fellow cashiers who obviously remember that they were once new.

I really like the contact with the customers (bad and nice) and I really need the job.

Wish me success!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

dbincarrollton in Houston, Texas said:
Wish me success!!

That's just the bad thing about being a cashier. There isn't much you can do other then just keep working at it until you 'get it'. When i was looking to get some more hours post-holiday season I was pretty much thrust onto a register. Although in my case, the CSM's at hour store were very nice to me and would drop what they were doing to make sure my questions were answered.

It sounds like you should talk to your assistant manager and tell them what's going on. There's no reason CSM's should be talking down to you. They are just glorified cashier's with a telzon and they are there to make sure the cash registers run as smoothly as possible. If they don't want to help you then they are not doing their job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danatell in Coventry, Connecticut

21 months ago

Geeze, I feel like it was me writing your post! I pretty much went through the same scenerio as you. I have my orientation tomorrow. While I was waiting to be interviewed everyone who passed by me asked if I needed help or gave me a smile. So far so good. I'm looking forward to working there. I will repost again soon to let you all know whether I feel the same.

soulschizm in New Bern, North Carolina said: All i can say is each store is it's own some have bad people others have amazing people and the one i am in which is Havelock NC is amazing everyone there is very helpful and nice *yes i work there*. went through 2 interviews by myself and each one was 1 on 1. a supervisor and then with the Store manager *main guy* and at the end of the 2nd interview he told me i had the job i went to the company to take a drug test and 4 days later they called to set up orientation. And when they called to tell me when it was that was still 3 days away so a full week before i had to go in. The store manager himself started out as a cart pusher. It really all depends on your store most if not all walmart stores are there own store i think all but not gonna say it is if it isn't. Also while waiting to be interviewed and waiting for orientation every single associate that walked by asked if we have been helped or if they knew why we were there said either "How are yall doing" or just a simple "Hey" maybe i am just lucky but this walmart is really nice and i believe they believe in treating everyone that works there like family and the customers very nicely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Finally a positive quote about Walmart! I'll be going to orientation tomorrow. I'm truly looking forward to it, but after reading all these negative posts I'm getting a little nervous! I want to succeed. I would be more than happy to get promoted quickly. Thanks for sharing your story and I'm hope your still in good health!

this guy in Seattle, Washington said: I agree with you 100%, I started working at walmart at 18 with no real plans for the future yet,to me it was just a job to pay the bills. I started out in electronics and learned everything there was to know about it. Then a position for a CSM opened and I grabbed at that. I'm so glad I took that job. I believe being a CSM prepared me for many things to come. Like usual I was always looking for the next best or fun thing I could do at walmart. I then swapped CSMing for pets, then garden. This was a great department. Working in the summer outside in the sun, no stress, easy , good people to work with. My next job came as a total shocker. I found out that walmart will train employes for free to become a pharmacist technician and I was all over that. I started by helping cashier in the pharmacy, becoming familiar with the works. I was barley 19 years old. By the time I was 25 I was already making three times as much money as when I first started in electronics. My point is that options are open at walmart for those who pursue them. Sure low pay at first that never seems to get better, long hours, weird hours, but if you show them your serious and dependable you can do good with this company. One last thing I would like to share, I was diagnosed with stage four hodgkins lymphoma cancer at 26, but with my good benefits and support from my store I sailed through four years of chemo, radiation, bone marrow transplants, etc...Now a few years later I still love my job and have nothing but good things to say about what walmart can do for you. You just have to go look for it.

Former Walmart Employee in Long Island City, New York

21 months ago

i loved my job at Walmart. even went to the managers &' asked for more hours i took anybody days who didnt wanna work.
then Walmart let me down.
i was in a car accident which caused my right arm and left leg not to move
i still came to work and they would send me home.
then after two days they shut my online schedule down
i called them and she said i was terminated i wanted to cry cause i was the only one who did my job and loved it.
before that my managers kept finding reasons to get me on trouble. one time the manger never even came and got me for my lunch break. they told me if i get off my register its a violations but after working 6 hours the register kicked me off and i had to sit in the office with the store manager now Walmart just is not the same

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AS IF in Boston, Massachusetts

21 months ago

The Walmart sob stories on here are just as bad as the corrupt state controlled media's illegal immigrant sob stories!! Pathetic! Nobody is keeping your mother at Walmart - it's a free country (as of the time of this posting - may not last too much longer). Why didn't she pack her crap and move on? 11 years? All that time she could've gone to school and become a physician!!!

Stop your complaining! At least Walmart hasn't gotten rid of the cashiers altogether and is keeping some jobs for those who hate to work there!

Get a grip - pull your panties out of the bunch, put on your big girl boots and get to walking lady! AS IF!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

mrmcclary85 in Kingstree, South Carolina

21 months ago

I've worked for wally world for 8 month's now. I wouldn't advise anyone to work there if they can help it. I have no plans of staying in walmart any longer than I have to. Walmart has too many damn managers all of whom seem to be on a power trip. The pay is crappy, you never are given adequate time to finish one thing and the customers can almost drive you over the edge sometimes. Quite frankly I'm surprised I've lasted this long seeing as how my zone manager seems to have a multiple personality disorder and I'm not one to put up with people just shooting there mouth off at me all types of ways. who knows though I may not last too much longer. There are better things to do in life and working at walmart is certainly not one of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Cincinnati, Ohio

20 months ago

stresslock in Calgary, Alberta said: I got a call today after applying more than a month ago for this particular store. Was unable to pick up so another family member did. I called back later and personnel was not available anymore according to the store manager, he assumes that I was called because they were having an orientation tomorrow.. I can't attend and I'm busy till next week when I'm free. The only thing I can hope for is that my place is still there for a job and that when I call back Monday, I can get a hold of personnel. Anybody think that I'll lose this opportunity? I'm shocked that it might be a call for an interview but for an orientation. Your feedback please?

You may not have a job it depends. I got called in two hours before orientation and I asked the lady if it could be rescheduled and she said she didn't know when she could re schedule so I accepted the short two hour call to get in there and it was suppose to be a 3 hour orientation but lasted 3 1/2 hours but at least I got paid for my troubles. It seems when they call you up go when they ask you if you need a job otherwise you might have missed your chance.

Gary in Cincinnati, Ohio

20 months ago

I wish I could stay at home and collect Obama checks. I got laid off and my company went out of business and I am 59 years old and who is going to hire a 59 year old man almost ready to retire. If the company I worked for didn't go out of business I would still be there. I can retire at 62 and that is what I am going to do and collect some Obama checks heck yes I worked all my life and I think I deserve it. I will be thinking about the ones who crap on me because I got a job at Walmart. Hey its a job and like I said I only have two more years then I am out of the rat race.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Cincinnati, Ohio

20 months ago

I just started Walmart today and it wasn't bad where I work. The people who work there are down to earth people and need a paycheck like everyone else. I worked 9 hrs today in IMS which is Iventory Management System in the very back and I enjoyed it. You get an hour for lunch and 2 15 minute breaks. It only pays 8.25 hour and you get paid bi weekly. Not much on the hour but you can eventually move up and get more money but like I said in the above post I am going to retire in 2 more years. My home is paid off and I have my 401 k. So not to bad for me anyway and the job isn't bad it depends on where you live and the kind of people that live there. Here where I live the people are nice and that makes a difference. I seen some horror stories about Walmart but here Cincinnati Ohio its ok. For the people starting I would say if the people are nice in your area and the workers you wont have any problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

AS IF in Boston, Massachusetts

20 months ago

Ungrateful. You should be thankful to have a job to go to. Quit if you hate it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Fed Up in Tucson, Arizona

20 months ago

AS IF in Boston, Massachusetts said: Ungrateful. You should be thankful to have a job to go to. Quit if you hate it

You are such a "Jerk". Most people who work at Wally World get stuck there. Everyday they cringe going there but know they have to pay bills. thank God, I started back to College, made Dean's list. I am so much better than that place. I work there right now but counting the days when I can tell them exactly what I think of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

If you stay there for a few years and then land yourself an interview for a better job, why would you want to blow a good reference by bashing Walmart?

20 months ago

Ya, I hear your frustration. Hang in there. Have you tried the "Open Door Policy" and let the higher ups know how you feel? If you truly believe you deserve a promotion and get passed up you really should let them know what's going on. Sounds like a little reverse discrimination if you as me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Littlescotty in Pearl, Mississippi

20 months ago

Look im not going to be like a lot of the ppl on here who keep downing each other on here but I will give my opinion of Walmart. The store I work at is small and is in a small town I know and understand that everyone thinks that their job is the hardest and there are definitely some out there that harder than mine but there is nothing that I see wrong about working with Walmart the manager's I have worked with are usually nice enough to work with me if I have a problem or if I need help sure there are those who are a BIG pain in the ass to deal with but you learn to deal with it and the people who think that because you work for Walmart you have it made because most of those customers have never worked with the public which can be the hardest thing to do. Walmart does have some decent advantages and benefits and yes you will usually have to do someone else's job think of it like this. With you having to do their job you get more training and for place like Walmart the more the better because that gives more of a chance to move up and the better your raises can be. For those who don't like it I won't say just quit but hold on to it and use the free time you have to look and find another job then turn in a two week notice because getting at-least a little money is better than none. Yes you work extremely hard and just because you hired for one department that has never meant that's the department you will stay in it is the department that you and your fellow workers are all responsible for because Walmart is a store that tries to work as a team as a team everyone has take the heat and work together to do better. I have been on the receiving end of some chewing outs and just dealt with it. I'm currently part time and usually get 33 or 32 hours a week and certain times have to work full time hours with out being promoted do I want to be promoted sure if the position im interested in comes open and if managment thinks im right for it. BUT EVERYONE HAS TO REALIZE

Littlescotty in Pearl, Mississippi

20 months ago

ALL WALMART STORES ARE DIFFERENT!!!! I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I HAVE HAD TO GO TO OTHER WALMART STORES TO HELP THEM AND I HAVE HIGHLY NOTICED HOW DIFFERENT THE STORES ARE.

Premadonna0939 in Fort Lauderdale florid

20 months ago

I start my new walmart job this thursday as a cashier..Any tips or advice? I would really appreciate it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dbincarrollton

20 months ago

learn how to do shopping cards and credit card payment. They can be confusing if you are not taught properly. Have person teaching you explain carefully and ALLOW YOU TO DO IT HANDS ON INSTEAD OF RUSHING THRU IT BY DOING IT THEMSELVES. In fact you will learn faster by asking trainer to EXPLAIN why and LETTING YOU INSTEAD OF THEM.

Good luck

Jason Cowan in Toronto, Ontario

20 months ago

whytboy in Gatesville, Texas said: We HAVE to do CBL's no matter what, sometimes by a certain date...if we don't expect a coaching lol ...no I am definitely not management lol. I'm a night stocker for about a year. Never even been in this kind of work at all before. I worked in nursing for 20 years.

Hi, I have worked in nursing for 10+ years here in Ontario, Canada, but am unable to find any work in the field whatsoever. Since I do not qualify for any social assistance, I am looking to take on any job I can find.

Would you recommend Walmart as a good place to work? The wages aren't important as my only expectation is the ability to feed myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

asaens in Corpus Christi, Texas

20 months ago

Jason Cowan in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi, I have worked in nursing for 10+ years here in Ontario, Canada, but am unable to find any work in the field whatsoever. Since I do not qualify for any social assistance, I am looking to take on any job I can find.

Would you recommend Walmart as a good place to work? The wages aren't important as my only expectation is the ability to feed myself.

Depends you your local Walmart store's workforce needs. If they need you for a particular department then they might allow you to work for a full 40 hours but if not then don't be surprised if you're only working 3 or 4 days out of a week. Now is a good time to get your "foot in the door" because they probably need workers for the holiday season and you'll have a chance to prove your worth to the manager you might work under because the first 90 days are a sort of trial period to decide whether to keep you or not but if you meet their demands then there shouldn't be a problem and you'll eventually be classified full time and you can always ask the manager if you can work on your days off up to 40 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason cowan in Toronto, Ontario

20 months ago

Fed Up in Tucson, Arizona said: You are such a "Jerk". Most people who work at Wally World get stuck there. Everyday they cringe going there but know they have to pay bills. thank God, I started back to College , made Dean's list. I am so much better than that place. I work there right now but counting the days when I can tell them exactly what I think of them.

I was on the Dean's List too and now I find myself begging for a job, any job, even a job at Walmart. A lot of people leave college and university these days and wish that they had just stayed out of school and had squirreled away rainy day money instead. The future for most North Americans is bleak. Thanks to global socialism, better known simply as 'globalism', minimum wage jobs have just hit the 'career level'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jason cowan in Toronto, Ontario

20 months ago

asaens in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Depends you your local Walmart store's workforce needs. If they need you for a particular department then they might allow you to work for a full 40 hours but if not then don't be surprised if you're only working 3 or 4 days out of a week. Now is a good time to get your "foot in the door" because they probably need workers for the holiday season and you'll have a chance to prove your worth to the manager you might work under because the first 90 days are a sort of trial period to decide whether to keep you or not but if you meet their demands then there shouldn't be a problem and you'll eventually be classified full time and you can always ask the manager if you can work on your days off up to 40 hours.

Thanks for the input. As a registered nurse, people tell me that finding a job should be easy, but unfortunately, these people are clueless and live in a reality bottled and stamped in the 1950s. I have applied for literally hundreds of jobs, as Indeed itself now can probably attest and nada.

Don't go to university with dreams of immediate entry into the dwindling middle class people - I am an honor student and i'm hoping to one day find a job stocking shelves.

sage in Colorado Springs, Colorado

20 months ago

Happy to hear that some people are happy with walmart jobs, the store i work at employees are jumping ship left and right. You have to beg for hours repededly and stay on them to get anything done, and heaven forbid if your not one of there golden children, your stuck were you start. They have departments with no staff working half the time so they pull you even though there are things you need to get done in your own department. I personally work my rear off for my store and what do i get in exchange, horribly cut hours, they voice there appreciation for what i do but what good does that do when i can' t pay my bills due to not enough hours. By cut i mean any were from 9 and a half hours to 14 and a half. Thwy say i would make a great full time employee but then cut my hours. I can't wait to find another job and say good by to walmart for good, won't even shop there any more once i get a different job. I don't expect something for nothing , i just want what i earn and i definately have proven myself, and were has that gotten me? I have reached out for different positions in the store and been told management thinks very highly of me, but still i don' t even get an interview, some apprediation , deserve better and i am going to go out there and get better.

Premadonna0939 in Fort Lauderdale florid

20 months ago

dbincarrollton said: learn how to do shopping cards and credit card payment. They can be confusing if you are not taught properly. Have person teaching you explain carefully and ALLOW YOU TO DO IT HANDS ON INSTEAD OF RUSHING THRU IT BY DOING IT THEMSELVES. In fact you will learn faster by asking trainer to EXPLAIN why and LETTING YOU INSTEAD OF THEM.

Good luck

Thanks for the tips! I greatly appreciate it

Karen in Beaverton, Oregon

20 months ago

bog in Denver, Colorado said: i like walmart my managers are great they treat us great and take care of us always buying us dinner or lunch baking cookies it not the best pay but i work at a small walmart and everone help each other out

Spoken like a real hiney kisser.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

meemee in Tucson, Arizona

20 months ago

Karen in Beaverton, Oregon said: Spoken like a real hiney kisser.

well you are lucky then. Because that isn't how the vast majority of walmart workers feel.

Gerk in Antigo, Wisconsin

19 months ago

Americans really do have this sickening sense of self-entitlement...

"Give me what I want and not what I earned!!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Michel in Buford, Georgia

19 months ago

hounddog88 in watertown, Wisconsin said: I have worked for walmart now for two and a half years, and i love it. I started as a sales associate in electronics than moved to the connection center about 8 months ago. i recently got promoted to a CSM(CSS). from what i have seen at my store everyone is given a fair opportunity to move up but what i see is lazy people that really don't care. looking at walmart as a job that an idiot can do. but if u actually apply yourself and show management that you are willing to apply yourself you can get farther in the company.

You need 0 skills to work yourself up, the offered me plenty of management positions. I declined them ALL. Why? Enjoy being the puppet and fall guy of upper management.

There all a complete joke not matter what Walmart you enter. Hello, it's WALMART, retail world works like that. I would lost 40ct per hour and gained 40 per hour as i would go from night to day shift.

I am one of the two best stockers the got in that store, i work hard but the two of us overnight (no names) are also extremely tired of being used as a puppet.

Nice example for ya...

I worked 7 nights last week..(Says already states what kind of stocker i am)

4 nights in frozen which one night we had over 18 hours of freight. I got done (2 people only) at 5 am morning, then hit dairy which had over 22 hours. We had 1 pallet left, to which our dairy crew THANKED US for the effort.

What does management do? Owww could been done to them... as there were 4 people in there.
Of WHICH 2 TEMPS THAT DO NOT KNOW JACK SH*T!

There logic is, oww 22 hours, divided by for is give and take 5 hours. ! The good workers have to pick up the slack for the slackers. And that is management for you, so do enjoy your future management job. I mean it, keep it ! I rather clock out at 7 and be happy at home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michel in Buford, Georgia

19 months ago

Jason Cowan in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi, I have worked in nursing for 10+ years here in Ontario, Canada, but am unable to find any work in the field whatsoever. Since I do not qualify for any social assistance, I am looking to take on any job I can find.

Walmart is a place to work, the do expect more and more from you as time progresses. Mainly, if you go into the night shift. I recommend anyone who, cannot handle pressure (so dealing with times given by the company to do your tasks) to simply, do a cashier job.

There is nothing wrong with that..

I am a overnight stocker, in my second year now at store 3786 Buford,GA.
I got a very good reputation as hard worker, and someone who can be put in any department of the store and get done.

Cons of that is, you will be every were, I am also 2 days a week a produce associate.
I do frozen, dairy, GM, OTC, HBA, TLE, Sporting goods, you name it. I know every department, problem with that is. You will be all over the store, and some are just not build for that at all.

Good thing is, that on average overnight you get 40ct per hour more pay.
Benefits are really good too and affordable, however you will likely to start out as a temp associate. And this is due to, Obama-care.

Take the job, it's a job..it will feed you and you can always look for better if you do not like it .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bigfoot3387 in Sulphur, Oklahoma

18 months ago

Walmart,,,. As most know,walmart is not the gratest job or the worst,but there are things to consider, before you start.right down every time you clock in and out,as your pay will not line up with your hours worked,if you have to request an override, when you clock in, then you may have just worked for free,as the system has a habbit of loosing time, and if you are told that you can not leave till your tasks are done,and work over you just worked for free,so clock in an out,10 to 7 or what ever your shift is no more no less,next if you are given a title,you will most likly be douing something else,and thats good if you like something diffrent,but remember,if your a stocker and go to ims,your pay is what your tittle is, also if your lucky and get to move up your pay level may stay at the lower rate till managment sees fit to increase it ,another is dount trust any one above you or co workers , no matter how nice they are,it will come back in some cases to bite you in the rear,if you whant to move up,dount have a wife or girl friend sister or famly member room mate ect working on your shift you cant manage any of them,if you have a day off then dount step foot in the store,you may be asked if you whant to work,if you reply no, then, it could bite you in the rear,rember no ot,time clock will kick it out,whether or not its noticed,the open door policy if used may cost your job,if you see someone stealing tern your head and walk away,you can be fired,saying you seen them,or think they maybe stealing,thats including your co workers,

anyway, ive been with walmart for awile and have family that work here as well, and well all have whent trought most of the above if you think that you can go by what was listed then you may make it at wallmart, as to any one that would like to protest anything ive said please do, as when you take a job at walmart,its there way or no way, i have also been asked, if its so bad working here then why not find another job,my reply would be,

bigfoot3387 in Sulphur, Oklahoma

18 months ago

to continue, if its so bad working here then why not find another job,my reply would be,well ive invested and took so much it would be a wast to start over

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BottledFlame in North Carolina

18 months ago

In my general opinion Wal-Mart is what you make it, thought it can be very infuriating and difficult. Management seems to have their favorites and can be difficult to climb that ladder. Then you have the whole company policy of 60 cases per hour! If you work in some departments that are so large and the pick carts you run are so random, it makes it difficult to do the 60 cases per hour, which in my opinion is B.S. Working on the floor entitles you to perform the tasks of helping customers, cleaning spill locations if need be, stocking, zoning, and doing end of the day/mid day returns. The other issues you encounter are people plugging, and when you are told to get an item out in a certain amount of given time, and you have to stop to remove a plugged item and fix it so you can stock your merchandise that takes time, but still your fault?! I don't know how management thinks that yelling at their workers makes them move faster, but no matter what level that you are working their doesn't make you any better than anyone below your position. We are all human beings, treat us with respect, if your not doing your job then fine, get scolded, but when you work as fast as you can, like Wal-Mart policy asks of its employees to work as fast and hard as you can, but still be ridiculed for it. There is a serious problem with management, not all of them are bad, I like a lot of whom I work with, but a few others really need to b taken into a communication class and being respectful in the workplace. I have never been told off for moving to slow, when I am hustling around the store helping customers find what they are looking for, standing over spill zones like I was taught, and doing my job. If you like being treated like crap work for Wal-Mart. Generally this joke works wonders for Wal-Mart "All the monkeys at the top of the tree look down and see smiling faces, while all the monkeys on the bottom look up and see nothing but A*******." Changes needed to be made here at Walmart

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

horseshoestables in Potomac, Maryland

18 months ago

phillyphanatic2009 in Fredericksburg, Virginia said: Now for my story. I have worked for walmart a couple of years and it was far from a great working environment. I worked in One hour photo and was treated like crap. The assistant manager was only nice to her favorites. Promoted them to specialist when I did the same kind of work they did. Every day the assistant manager had an bad attitude. Alot of gossip between employees. When you would use open door policy about it, they would brush it off like it was a joke that you had a complaint. Wal-marts management are very heartless people only out to make more money for a company that is destroying our economy and shutting down local competitors.

Wal-Mart is the second largest employer in the United States. How do you figure they are "destroying the economy"? If you did a small amount of research, you would find it is the policies of the administration, coupled with tougher business regulations and taxes at the state level, that is destroying the economy. Wal-Mart is horrible to work at yes, but the design of their business model is not to employ full-time, mid-life individuals. THey very much have designed it to rely on high school graduates/entry-level workers to fill their ranks, much the same as fast food companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.