How to get a job at Wal-Mart.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 152)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

jaymee stanley in New Haven, Connecticut

132 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
no walk in,never had a interview

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

audrey1 in Austin, Texas

131 months ago

Although you may have some luck in getting someone to respond to your post, you'll most likely get a much better response if you apply to the job directly. Try doing a Wal*Mart search on Indeed and then click on the jobs that interest you the most. You'll be redirected to the website the job position is originally posted on and there you will find instructions on how to apply here hiringcenter.walmartstores.com/OnlineHiringCenter/ct_logon.jsp

Good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

ree

131 months ago

I APPLIED ONLINE ONE DAY LAST WEEK . I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CALL ONE OF THE STORES?

Reply - Report abuse

Kristen in Zelienople, Pennsylvania

131 months ago

Are you effin kidding me? Its no wonder you go to Walmart for one thing, and get stuck there for hours!

I applied to walmart, and told them I had had a criminal conviction over seven years ago... They interviewed me three times, and sent me for my drug screen... and background check.

I passed the drug screen, but as suspected a criminal history check proved that I had been completely honest to them about the trouble I had been in seven years prior, before...

and so...

they didn't hire me. bastards. what a complete and total waste of my pee.

Reply - Report abuse

elena stenerson in Palatine, Illinois

131 months ago

how do I apply to work for wal-mart

Reply - Report abuse

-indeedhost in Austin, Texas

131 months ago

Although you may have some luck in getting someone to respond to your post, you'll most likely get a much better response if you apply to the job directly. Try doing a Wal*Mart search on Indeed and then click on the jobs that interest you the most. You'll be redirected to the website the job position is originally posted on and there you will find instructions on how to apply here http://hiringcenter.walmartstores.com/OnlineHiringCenter/ct_logon.jsp Good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Enterprise, Alabama

130 months ago

I just recently started working at a Walmart DC and it was easy for me. I simply went online and applied for the job that I wanted. I went through my first interview and was called back with a job offer which was actually a better job than the one that I applied for! I accepted the job and did my drug test and waited for the background results to come through and was in orientation before I knew it!

Reply - Report abuse

Yolander Coleman in Dallas, Texas

130 months ago

I"ve applied to the Wal-Mart#949. I have went to the store several times and submitted my application. Given the chance to work there as a stocker are just keeping the aisles clear and cludder free. I feel that my application is being over looked and not considered. Given a job there I would be willing to help in all departments.

Reply - Report abuse

jewls

130 months ago

Princess Delilah in Painesville, Ohio said: Wal-Mart is impossible to get into unless you have a smile permanantly attached to your face and fit their so-called image (which is pretty bad right now,to be honest)

don't forget most states pay for them to hire welfare, who dont want to really work, but say no to those that actually have a work history.

Reply - Report abuse

T. in Tampa, Florida

129 months ago

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas said: Although you may have some luck in getting someone to respond to your post, you'll most likely get a much better response if you apply to the job directly. Try doing a Wal*Mart search on Indeed and then click on the jobs that interest you the most. You'll be redirected to the website the job position is originally posted on and there you will find instructions on how to apply here hiringcenter.walmartstores.com/OnlineHiringCenter/ct_logon.jsp

Good luck!

Unfortunately, when you go to this Walmart website, you have to register, give them your social security number, names and numbers of references etc. before you can even get to the point to see if there are any jobs for you to apply for. I don't feel comfortable giving out that kind of information with no idea if there is even a job.

Reply - Report abuse

ifuluvmisery

128 months ago

Some people think that its going to be all smiles and cupcakes..... but its work.

People don't all think that way and do work hard. I had a miserable experience and you didn't. Everybody's has their own story to tell.

Reply - Report abuse

Rodney in Millersville, Missouri

127 months ago

Wal Mart pays the bills. It is a good job if you can hang in there.

Reply - Report abuse

tabitha in catskill, New York

127 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

no i do not work at wal-mart looking for work at wal-mart

Reply - Report abuse

tabitha in catskill, New York

126 months ago

Casey in Pensacola, Florida said: You have To Fill out The application Pass the survey and hassle the maagers out the ass to pull your application.

how do i pull up the application online at home

Reply - Report abuse

Avoidwalmartatallcosts in San Diego, California

126 months ago

People, do NOT apply for Walmart. They treat their employees like dogs and it will be the biggest regret of your life. Once you start working retail, its so hard to get out...and Walmart is the lowest of the low. I think you might be better off working for a $1 store or McDonalds honestly. Do NOT let Walmart fool you or brainwash you. We need to also stop supporting this company by shopping there. Kmart and Target have great stuff and sometimes better prices. Walmart tricks you by lowering their price by a few pennies, but you can buy better quality for the same price if not lower at Target or your local grocery store AND its not so cluttered and nasty at Target. You won't have country bumpkin employees and less noise polution over the intercoms.

Reply - Report abuse

saphirre in Jamestown, New York

126 months ago

Hey all you WAL MART put downers>> I'm a 35 year old female fresh from the military>>>> I just got a job in my field from the army working as an auto tech. I'm starting out @ $9.40\ hr rotaiting tires chainging oil battery changing and windshield wipers... WOW it is so simple comparied to what i was doing in the army i am friends with a lot of people at wal mart!!! The day of my interview i had 2 intreviews and was hired that day with in 24 hrs i had to do a drug screan test woohoo i knew i would pass now a week later i go 4 my oreantation srry for my spelling never clambed to be great @ it lol.. But for all that are knocking wal; mart shut up opinions ar like as****** everyone has one... I have been greater as a new family member to Wal Mart doing a job i love and they are a great grou[p to work 4>>> so plz 4 all who are lookinf to enter the Wal Mart family don't loook @ the douting Thomases>>> just see 4 yourself fallow you instincts and your heart.... Don't let anyone perswade your mind... you may find you have a great job and new freeiend and working for higher then miminum wages and chances to advance... well just us your own mind not others FYI.. yhank you 4 taking the time to read this good luck to all andd HOOAH for bettering your life sincerley: saphirre

Reply - Report abuse

tina in Tampa, Florida

126 months ago

Wow, you got a job at Walmarts and you can't spell. Why am I not surprised. Maybe you just don't spell in English.

Reply - Report abuse

David in Concord, New Hampshire

126 months ago

question I would raise is why in the world would any one want to work at Walmart? They may make tons of money (for the big guys) and give us lots of cheap junk, but they are about as evil as a company in America gets.

I would never work at a store I refuse to shop at!

Reply - Report abuse

tony in Devils Elbow, Missouri

126 months ago

I worked for WAL-MART for 11 yrs. In the beginning it was an excellent company to work for. But towards the end (stopped working their in 06/06) they were HELL!!! to work for. The work environment stopped being enjoyable with fellow employees. I was a CSM and the starting telling employees, that if you worked your secondary job code more than you primary that your pay could be cut. But if they became short-handed on the front-end they would still call me to help out. But get this they will not adjust pay when your doing primary code. GETTING PROMOTED FROM ONE POSITION TO ANOTHER IS A JOKE. THEY PROMOTE BY WHO YOU KNOW, NOT WHAT YOU KNOW. THE WHOLE WORK ENVIRONMENT IS LIKE YOUR PLAYING A GAME OF CHESS. WALMART DOESNT LET YOU KNOW THAT IF YOUR A SALARIED MANAGER, THAT IF YOU MEET YOUR SALES FOR THAT MONTH YOU GET 2CHECKS. DONT PAY CASHIERS ENOUGH.

Reply - Report abuse

shane lawden in Newark, New Jersey

126 months ago

ifuluvmisery said: I wouldn't recommend working there to my worst enemy.
I worked for 6 months as an Assistant Manager. The training left a lot to be desired, 16 weeks with lots of travel and plenty of grunt work. What they promise you is not what you get. All I had was &750. Deductible Health Ins. and a 10% worthless discount card. They pick what store you go to, I had and 1.5 drive each way. They schedule what hours you work and 60+ for mang, all others get selected for there 3-6 interview process based on the stores needs, not yours. You must apply in store at their filthy kiosk. Trust me your job description they have you read and sign will entail a multitude of other responsibilities. Yes, many employees are treated poorly, whether you work hard or hardly work, including Asst. Mangs. If you are the Store Mang. pet it's not as bad. Now upper Mang. runs the show. It has gotten worse, per my Assistant Manager friend who's still working there until he finds something else. It was the worst job I have ever worked.

god what losers you are complaining about working hard .....you will never find the perfect job.this idoiot complains about driving a mile and a half to work....wow what a loser and also says he worked ther for six months and wonders why he didnt conquer the world. if you had any balls you would start your own company ....thats why you are the perfect employee and you will always be......you have a losing mentality........

Reply - Report abuse

meetoo in Elko, Nevada

121 months ago

I applied for a job at walmart friday for a spicific area and they called me a couple hours later said that they didnt have an opening for that area but they did for another area if I was interested I have a job interview tomarrow and I am nervous as hell because I am not good at interviews any thing that can help

Reply - Report abuse

frears in portsmouth

119 months ago

Howard Nagle in Nashville, Tennessee said: Most walmart workers have an IQ of 85. If You IQ is not that low they wont hire You.

HI,walmart worker hater i been working for a walmart dc in shipping for 7 months and i am not a manager or a assistant manager and i make 17.50 hr working 3 12 shiffs sat,sun,mon+ot i bust my ass off and i love it and my the way will be at 20.00 with in 2 years of hire how much you making in tennessee not 17.50.
If you are looking for a job at walmart and are not scared of hard labor work check in see if there a walmart distribution in your

Reply - Report abuse

ryank in Brick, New Jersey

119 months ago

tony in Devils Elbow, Missouri said: YOU MUST BE A LITTLE OFF. 10% IS NOTHING.

You just can't please everyone, 10% is better than nothing isn't it? You ungrateful person...

Reply - Report abuse

117 months ago

DEEJAY Z in SOMEWHERE, Illinois said: I ahve a question though.....When they interview you they do a bcakground check, right? How long in the past do they normally go back?

Usually all the way back until your age of 18. Depending on how bad your violations are, that's how they normally base their determinations.

Reply - Report abuse

sherwood mccrary in Brevard, North Carolina

117 months ago

i'm handicapped and i would love to find a job at wal-mart. i can put things together, or anything like stock or a greater or in the garden center.

Reply - Report abuse

zuesegodson in Leesburg, Virginia

116 months ago

how long after the drug test did they call u to come in for oriantation.I went to the interview and was under the impression that i got the job. they said they were gonna call me this week, but its been 3 days since i took the drug test, still no call....confident i passewd the test

Reply - Report abuse

116 months ago

You got to take a drug test on the weekend?? Anyway, it all depends on how your personnel people handle orientations. Some only do it once a week, and some do it twice or three times a week. Just be patient my friend. We are just coming out of a holiday, so some things may have been delayed. Let me know if you get a call..

Reply - Report abuse

frears in portsmouth

116 months ago

frears in portsmouth said: HI,walmart worker hater i been working for a walmart dc in shipping for 7 months and i am not a manager or a assistant manager and i make 17.50 hr working 3 12 shiffs sat,sun,mon+ot i bust my ass off and i love it and my the way will be at 20.00 with in 2 years of hire how much you making in tennessee not 17.50.
If you are looking for a job at walmart and are not scared of hard labor work check in see if there a walmart distribution in your

it's me frears been at a walmart dc for a year now at 17.94 loving it

Reply - Report abuse

carmella in Newark, New Jersey

115 months ago

Where do you go to fill out an application for a job at the new Walmart in Edison, New Jersey?

Reply - Report abuse

frears in portsmouth

115 months ago

zuese godson in Leesburg, Virginia said: how long after the drug test did they call u to come in for oriantation.I went to the interview and was under the impression that i got the job. they said they were gonna call me this week, but its been 3 days since i took the drug test, still no call....confident i passewd the test

the back round check takes awhile depening on your state

Reply - Report abuse

bonniecartwright in Greenfield, Ohio

115 months ago

Thay have job posted you put you'r apply and call But still can't get in . so how can you get on a wal mart

Reply - Report abuse

Chloe Arvedsen in Reno, Nevada

115 months ago

Does Walmart do a full FBI fingerprint check? Or just a check run on SSN and name?

Reply - Report abuse

ladyshiloh in Dayton, Texas

114 months ago

I have applied at my local WalMart for over a year. I have never received a call for an interview. I don't understand their hiring process. Some of the people I've seen at our WalMart have been convicted of crimes from stealing to credit card theft. The local store had a million dollars in shortage and they wonder what happened. I've been a store manager and assist. manager for over ten years and I don't understand the reasoning behind their application questions. I am honest as the day is long and don't understand when I see thieves working in the store. What's wrong with this situation? What is their reason for hiring problems like that? I often wonder if this message is read by anyone in the Bentonville, Arkanasas office? I also wonder if the District and Regional Managers really are doing their jobs by looking into any of these problems at their stores and if they will ever do anything about it.

Reply - Report abuse

cb8808 in South Carolina

114 months ago

although i didnt accept the job, i applied to kmart online and i was able to automatically set up an interwiew online. it was very easy. the bad part of the interview though was watching a boring video with actors.

Reply - Report abuse

SinCity Employee in Henderson, Nevada

114 months ago

I know all too well what your saying. I work at 2593 in Vegas and it's so horrible. The associates themselves act like middle-aged teenagers and the assistants don't give a damn about anything or anyone. I am getting gipped big time on my pay. I started working at walmart 2 years ago and was job coded as an overnight softlines stocker. Apparently, stoking softlines is only a level one position compared to every other overnight worker who are at level two. But, I've been moved out of softlines during those 2 years on numerous occasions to work at level two positions. About three months ago I moved out of softlines and was then considered a level two "overnight stocker". The only reason why I found this out was because a manager noticed that I was still job coded at level one even though I wasn't in softlines anymore. She said that I was getting paid 20 cents less than I was supposed to be. Well, the co-manager told me that I won't get retro pay and I just have to take the loss. I told him that 20 cents might seem menial, but missing 20 cents pay every hour for 3 months adds up to about $100. On top of that, If I were moved out of softlines many times, it's only right for me to get paid 20 cents extra for all those hours.

The co-manager basically brushed it off, pretending he didn't hear me. I told him that It's understandble that he doesn't care because all walmart employees are replaceable. I mean, it's not like a manager should give a damn about the concerns of his employees anyway!...especially walmart management!!!

Walmart sucks! Advise to everyone: do not work their, especially overnight.

Reply - Report abuse

purple in Knoxville, Tennessee

112 months ago

jewls said: don't forget most states pay for them to hire welfare, who dont want to really work, but say no to those that actually have a work history.

THEY GET A KICK BACK. IT'S NOT RIGHT THEY GET HIRED BEFORE OTHERS. I TAKE OFFENSE TO THE NOT WANTING TO WORK THING THO. THAT'S NOT ALWAYS THE CASE NOW.

Reply - Report abuse

Jeffy in Here

110 months ago

TO all Wal Mart bashers:

I must wonder if YOU are as successful as we are? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Just look at the financials as you cry about how we suk.

Reply - Report abuse

hdeborah74@*****.*** in Frederick, Maryland

109 months ago

I APPLIED ONLINE ONE DAY LAST WEEK . I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CALL ONE OF THE STORES.ive been looking to hear from some one

Reply - Report abuse

109 months ago

I am an Assistant Manager in New Jersey and honestly Wal-Mart isn't doing too much hiring right now. They are slightly cutting hours to their current associates and probably the only company right now not laying people off. You can call a store, but don't be surprised if they aren't hiring for another 3-4 weeks...

Reply - Report abuse

109 months ago

hdeborah74@yahoo.com in Frederick, Maryland said: I APPLIED ONLINE ONE DAY LAST WEEK . I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CALL ONE OF THE STORES.ive been looking to hear from some one

I am an Assistant Manager in New Jersey and honestly Wal-Mart isn't doing too much hiring right now. They are slightly cutting hours to their current associates and probably the only company right now not laying people off. You can call a store, but don't be surprised if they aren't hiring for another 3-4 weeks...

Reply - Report abuse

catdancer in Saratoga Springs, New York

109 months ago

WM NO-GO'ER in Cranford, New Jersey said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Yes, . Having worked at the AR main office for the passed 2 years, my advise is STAY AWAY. Unless, of course, you like to make stupid decisions and not have to answer for them, be mean and/or unprofessional most of the time, waste other people's time such as your key suppliers, dress like you're from the back woods, allow your boss/management to spy on you, etc. then maybe this is the place for you. Or, if you like to wear name-tags, stand up and cheer, wear lots and lots of WM pins, work hard for low wages maybe you should contact them... Trust me, stay away, it's like a cult and we all know that's never good.

I too, used to work for Wal Mart (we call in Wally World where I live) and my store made a cess pool look pure. One employee got fired because he refused to help the store manager steal electronics. My ex-manager rented an U-Haul truck, a large one, they got rid of that employee by claiming he was stealing company time because he moved his car while on his 15 min. break. If you want to work in an environment where you can trust NO ONE, if you want to deal with two faced back stabbers, if you want to see people rewarded for doing jack-squat for hours on end, if you want to be spied on, if you want no private life, if you want to work in an environment where you are CONSTANTLY watched, and always treated as thief, if you love to brown nose people, love little, tight cliques, if you loved high school, if you love being around profoundly stupid people, if you love having your idea's stolen, I could go on....

Reply - Report abuse

Michele Thornton in Tobaccoville, North Carolina

107 months ago

WM NO-GO'ER in Cranford, New Jersey said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Yes, . Having worked at the AR main office for the passed 2 years, my advise is STAY AWAY. Unless, of course, you like to make stupid decisions and not have to answer for them, be mean and/or unprofessional most of the time, waste other people's time such as your key suppliers, dress like you're from the back woods, allow your boss/management to spy on you, etc. then maybe this is the place for you. Or, if you like to wear name-tags, stand up and cheer, wear lots and lots of WM pins, work hard for low wages maybe you should contact them... Trust me, stay away, it's like a cult and we all know that's never good.

Obviously by the way you type it's no wonder why your no longer there.

Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

I worked for Wal-Mart in the corporate office in the past and think it was a wonderful place to work. As we all know a job is what you make of it. If you have a bad attitude and act miserable then you will have a miserable job. The pay is decent and they offer good benefits. They offer excellent training programs and the culture is good. People need to keep in mind that a cashier position is a job targeted for highschool/college students or retired persons looking for a part time job. For people that want to work an entry level job and make executive salaries you need to get real. As far as getting a job there if you are trying to get on at the store you should apply online. If your qualifications match what they are looking for they will call you. I would encourage you apply every couple of months to keep your application active.

Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

Jeffy in Here said: TO all Wal Mart bashers:

I must wonder if YOU are as successful as we are? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Just look at the financials as you cry about how we suk.[/QUOT

exactly!

Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

107 months ago

LOL. Thanks for the reading material - better than a magazine. This is almost as good as the Amscot posts. When you all need some entertainment from "the other side", go to the legal assistant posts, particularly "How do you survive financially when unemployment runs out."

Reply - Report abuse

sistar in Chicago, Illinois

106 months ago

Hugh Jass in Farmington, Michigan said: If i be gettin free dougnouts and cofeas i'd be love woking fo Walmart. Notin like waitin fo the buss to gets to Walmart. And day git me free stuf if i be put in 85 ours a weak

No offense, but I don't see how you could get "any" job without knowing how to use correct grammar and less ebonics.

Reply - Report abuse

sistar in Chicago, Illinois

106 months ago

Marc in El Paso, Texas said: To the people that complain about having a job at Walmart and how bad it is, SHUTUP!!!! You may not be happy, but when you get that check I bet you dont complain. I have a wife and a child that I must support. Any job that pays me, helps me support them. I will take crap from people because I know I dont have to go home to them. Leave work at work. I have an interview at Walmart on Monday. If I get the job there I will be grateful. There are so many people that are jobless who want to work and do not get the opportunity. I feel blessed I got an interview. A job is what you make it , not what someone else makes it. So, stop whining and work. And remember there is a reason for everything!!!

Marc, you are sooo right. The economy is very bad right now and too many people are out of work, can't pay their bills, nor take care of their families because they were laid off, or the company went down, for some others to be complaining "about work". All those who are putting ANY job down, start your own company if you're that good and smart, and do a better job than Wal*Mart. If you can't, then shut-up and thank your higher being that you had a paycheck at all.

Reply - Report abuse

gojohnnygo in Kansas

106 months ago

I agree. Things went a bit off topic here. The question was, "How do I get a job at Walmart?" The question was not, "What sucks about working at Walmart?"

Reply - Report abuse

catdancer in Saratoga Springs, New York

106 months ago

I used to work for Wal Mart, these tips MIGHT help you get a job. Apply at the store you want to work at. TALK TO PEOPLE! If you can, go to human resources, ask about all openings, indicate, clearly where you'd like to work. If you have open availability that's also a big plus. If for example, you want to work in the lawn and garden department, go visit it. Talk to associates, I'd do this during the week when business tends to be slower and associates may have more time to talk to you. If it suits your work style/needs, indicate you would like to be cross trained. Usually this means running a cash register, although, I'm sure it's different in each store. If possible, talk to the assistant manager of the department you want to work in. This will help him/her put a face on an application, which will make you more memorable.I hope these ideas help you out.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.