How to get a job at Wal-Mart.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 167)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

jaymee stanley in New Haven, Connecticut

101 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
no walk in,never had a interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (134) / No (161) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

101 months ago

Although you may have some luck in getting someone to respond to your post, you'll most likely get a much better response if you apply to the job directly. Try doing a Wal*Mart search on Indeed and then click on the jobs that interest you the most. You'll be redirected to the website the job position is originally posted on and there you will find instructions on how to apply here hiringcenter.walmartstores.com/OnlineHiringCenter/ct_logon.jsp

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (54) Reply - Report abuse

ree

101 months ago

I APPLIED ONLINE ONE DAY LAST WEEK . I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CALL ONE OF THE STORES?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (299) / No (103) Reply - Report abuse

Kristen in Zelienople, Pennsylvania

101 months ago

Are you effin kidding me? Its no wonder you go to Walmart for one thing, and get stuck there for hours!

I applied to walmart, and told them I had had a criminal conviction over seven years ago... They interviewed me three times, and sent me for my drug screen... and background check.

I passed the drug screen, but as suspected a criminal history check proved that I had been completely honest to them about the trouble I had been in seven years prior, before...

and so...

they didn't hire me. bastards. what a complete and total waste of my pee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (151) / No (117) Reply - Report abuse

elena stenerson in Palatine, Illinois

100 months ago

how do I apply to work for wal-mart

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (108) / No (61) Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

100 months ago

Although you may have some luck in getting someone to respond to your post, you'll most likely get a much better response if you apply to the job directly. Try doing a Wal*Mart search on Indeed and then click on the jobs that interest you the most. You'll be redirected to the website the job position is originally posted on and there you will find instructions on how to apply here http://hiringcenter.walmartstores.com/OnlineHiringCenter/ct_logon.jsp Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Enterprise, Alabama

100 months ago

I just recently started working at a Walmart DC and it was easy for me. I simply went online and applied for the job that I wanted. I went through my first interview and was called back with a job offer which was actually a better job than the one that I applied for! I accepted the job and did my drug test and waited for the background results to come through and was in orientation before I knew it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (125) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Yolander Coleman in Dallas, Texas

100 months ago

I"ve applied to the Wal-Mart#949. I have went to the store several times and submitted my application. Given the chance to work there as a stocker are just keeping the aisles clear and cludder free. I feel that my application is being over looked and not considered. Given a job there I would be willing to help in all departments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

jewls

99 months ago

Princess Delilah in Painesville, Ohio said: Wal-Mart is impossible to get into unless you have a smile permanantly attached to your face and fit their so-called image (which is pretty bad right now,to be honest)

don't forget most states pay for them to hire welfare, who dont want to really work, but say no to those that actually have a work history.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (57) Reply - Report abuse

T. in Tampa, Florida

99 months ago

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas said: Although you may have some luck in getting someone to respond to your post, you'll most likely get a much better response if you apply to the job directly. Try doing a Wal*Mart search on Indeed and then click on the jobs that interest you the most. You'll be redirected to the website the job position is originally posted on and there you will find instructions on how to apply here hiringcenter.walmartstores.com/OnlineHiringCenter/ct_logon.jsp

Good luck!

Unfortunately, when you go to this Walmart website, you have to register, give them your social security number, names and numbers of references etc. before you can even get to the point to see if there are any jobs for you to apply for. I don't feel comfortable giving out that kind of information with no idea if there is even a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

ifuluvmisery

98 months ago

Some people think that its going to be all smiles and cupcakes..... but its work.

People don't all think that way and do work hard. I had a miserable experience and you didn't. Everybody's has their own story to tell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Tonto in Phoenix, Arizona

97 months ago

bridgettkyles in Houston, Texas said: i will love to joining you team and work for the best company in houston customes service is the #1 in your eye.

I am sorry, come again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

chwi_39 in Russellville, Arkansas

97 months ago

Wow... Glad to see I am not alone! Wal-Mart in Russellville Arkansas, is the worse they degrade customers, The Customer Service is the worst I have ever seen or experienced, The Assistant Managers are the worse I have ever known in retail. The store is run like a full fledge circus. Good Luck People Shopping There. As for Russellville Wal-mart in Arkansas they have a MONOPOLY! Little do people know living here, you are forced to go there! There is no other big store, And they keep K-Mart the small pee on. WHY?? Because Arkansas is the home of WALMART! Go Figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Rodney in Millersville, Missouri

96 months ago

Wal Mart pays the bills. It is a good job if you can hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

tabitha in catskill, New York

96 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

no i do not work at wal-mart looking for work at wal-mart

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Casey in Pensacola, Florida

96 months ago

You have To Fill out The application Pass the survey and hassle the maagers out the ass to pull your application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

tabitha in catskill, New York

96 months ago

Casey in Pensacola, Florida said: You have To Fill out The application Pass the survey and hassle the maagers out the ass to pull your application.

how do i pull up the application online at home

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

renae in Pittsville, Wisconsin

96 months ago

ifuluvmisery said: Go to the nearest store and apply on the KIOSK, it is the stores computer. Usually found in customer service or the old layaway area.

Good luck, it's a miserable place to work!

any one work for the rapids store . i want to apply if it ok to work for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

renae in Pittsville, Wisconsin

96 months ago

wisconsin,rapids wi. that is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Ellen in Dayton, Ohio

96 months ago

I tried to get a job there some years ago - DESPERATELY, I might add - only to be told when they finally had me come in for an interview they didn't need me and weren't going to bother with it. I'm in desperate need of a job yet again, but given that experience, along with everyone elses' lovely tales, I can tell you it will NEVER be Wal-Mart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Avoidwalmartatallcosts in San Diego, California

96 months ago

People, do NOT apply for Walmart. They treat their employees like dogs and it will be the biggest regret of your life. Once you start working retail, its so hard to get out...and Walmart is the lowest of the low. I think you might be better off working for a $1 store or McDonalds honestly. Do NOT let Walmart fool you or brainwash you. We need to also stop supporting this company by shopping there. Kmart and Target have great stuff and sometimes better prices. Walmart tricks you by lowering their price by a few pennies, but you can buy better quality for the same price if not lower at Target or your local grocery store AND its not so cluttered and nasty at Target. You won't have country bumpkin employees and less noise polution over the intercoms.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (59) Reply - Report abuse

saphirre in Jamestown, New York

96 months ago

Hey all you WAL MART put downers>> I'm a 35 year old female fresh from the military>>>> I just got a job in my field from the army working as an auto tech. I'm starting out @ $9.40\ hr rotaiting tires chainging oil battery changing and windshield wipers... WOW it is so simple comparied to what i was doing in the army i am friends with a lot of people at wal mart!!! The day of my interview i had 2 intreviews and was hired that day with in 24 hrs i had to do a drug screan test woohoo i knew i would pass now a week later i go 4 my oreantation srry for my spelling never clambed to be great @ it lol.. But for all that are knocking wal; mart shut up opinions ar like as****** everyone has one... I have been greater as a new family member to Wal Mart doing a job i love and they are a great grou[p to work 4>>> so plz 4 all who are lookinf to enter the Wal Mart family don't loook @ the douting Thomases>>> just see 4 yourself fallow you instincts and your heart.... Don't let anyone perswade your mind... you may find you have a great job and new freeiend and working for higher then miminum wages and chances to advance... well just us your own mind not others FYI.. yhank you 4 taking the time to read this good luck to all andd HOOAH for bettering your life sincerley: saphirre

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (97) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

tina in Tampa, Florida

96 months ago

Wow, you got a job at Walmarts and you can't spell. Why am I not surprised. Maybe you just don't spell in English.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (93) Reply - Report abuse

Nkurtz2 in Round Rock, Texas

96 months ago

How old do u have to be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

David in Concord, New Hampshire

96 months ago

question I would raise is why in the world would any one want to work at Walmart? They may make tons of money (for the big guys) and give us lots of cheap junk, but they are about as evil as a company in America gets.

I would never work at a store I refuse to shop at!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

tony in Devils Elbow, Missouri

95 months ago

I worked for WAL-MART for 11 yrs. In the beginning it was an excellent company to work for. But towards the end (stopped working their in 06/06) they were HELL!!! to work for. The work environment stopped being enjoyable with fellow employees. I was a CSM and the starting telling employees, that if you worked your secondary job code more than you primary that your pay could be cut. But if they became short-handed on the front-end they would still call me to help out. But get this they will not adjust pay when your doing primary code. GETTING PROMOTED FROM ONE POSITION TO ANOTHER IS A JOKE. THEY PROMOTE BY WHO YOU KNOW, NOT WHAT YOU KNOW. THE WHOLE WORK ENVIRONMENT IS LIKE YOUR PLAYING A GAME OF CHESS. WALMART DOESNT LET YOU KNOW THAT IF YOUR A SALARIED MANAGER, THAT IF YOU MEET YOUR SALES FOR THAT MONTH YOU GET 2CHECKS. DONT PAY CASHIERS ENOUGH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

ifuluvmisery said: I wouldn't recommend working there to my worst enemy.
I worked for 6 months as an Assistant Manager. The training left a lot to be desired, 16 weeks with lots of travel and plenty of grunt work. What they promise you is not what you get. All I had was &750. Deductible Health Ins. and a 10% worthless discount card. They pick what store you go to, I had and 1.5 drive each way. They schedule what hours you work and 60+ for mang, all others get selected for there 3-6 interview process based on the stores needs, not yours. You must apply in store at their filthy kiosk. Trust me your job description they have you read and sign will entail a multitude of other responsibilities. Yes, many employees are treated poorly, whether you work hard or hardly work, including Asst. Mangs. If you are the Store Mang. pet it's not as bad. Now upper Mang. runs the show. It has gotten worse, per my Assistant Manager friend who's still working there until he finds something else. It was the worst job I have ever worked.

AMEN! I WOULD TELL ANYONE TO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE. MAY BE HOME DEPOT. NOT! WALMART IS OKAY FOR A PART TIME JOB OR IF YOU NEED EXTRA MONEY WHEN COLLEGE OR HIGH SCHOOL. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME THEIR LIKE I DID 11 yrs of PURE BS.SHEISTY @*"%#

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Dikosso Nelly Joelle in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

95 months ago

i gat the job opening from the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Rodney in Millersville, Missouri said: The store employee discount is also a good deal.

YOU MUST BE A LITTLE OFF. 10% IS NOTHING.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

ifuluvmisery

95 months ago

Tony,

Thanks for using my mini story. You should read my comment back to the military chic, it's on the other page.
What a back bone you have to have taken 11 years of their crap.
Go Man!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

shane lawden in Newark, New Jersey

95 months ago

ifuluvmisery said: I wouldn't recommend working there to my worst enemy.
I worked for 6 months as an Assistant Manager. The training left a lot to be desired, 16 weeks with lots of travel and plenty of grunt work. What they promise you is not what you get. All I had was &750. Deductible Health Ins. and a 10% worthless discount card. They pick what store you go to, I had and 1.5 drive each way. They schedule what hours you work and 60+ for mang, all others get selected for there 3-6 interview process based on the stores needs, not yours. You must apply in store at their filthy kiosk. Trust me your job description they have you read and sign will entail a multitude of other responsibilities. Yes, many employees are treated poorly, whether you work hard or hardly work, including Asst. Mangs. If you are the Store Mang. pet it's not as bad. Now upper Mang. runs the show. It has gotten worse, per my Assistant Manager friend who's still working there until he finds something else. It was the worst job I have ever worked.

god what losers you are complaining about working hard .....you will never find the perfect job.this idoiot complains about driving a mile and a half to work....wow what a loser and also says he worked ther for six months and wonders why he didnt conquer the world. if you had any balls you would start your own company ....thats why you are the perfect employee and you will always be......you have a losing mentality........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

ifuluvmisery

95 months ago

Shane,
God has nothing to do with this forum. Since you can't seem to read, I drove over an 1 hr and a 1/2 each way. Thank you for finding and printing my quote. Maybe if you took you hands off of your security b*lls, you would see the light that walmart s**ks. You have a very angry and poor attitude, try being more positive. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Idaho in Ontario, Oregon

95 months ago

Yolander Coleman in Dallas, Texas said: I"ve applied to the Wal-Mart#949. I have went to the store several times and submitted my application. Given the chance to work there as a stocker are just keeping the aisles clear and cludder free. I feel that my application is being over looked and not considered. Given a job there I would be willing to help in all departments.

When you fill out your application, there are a series of questions you are required to answer. If you answer just one of the questions wrong, it will kick you out of the system and take you out of "competition" for 90 days, after which you can re-apply. The questions are on how you react to the human condition, which is what you would do if you work in retail....any one have an answer key to the test? You'll get an interview much faster!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Phoenix, Arizona

95 months ago

Princess Delilah in Painesville, Ohio said: Wal-Mart is impossible to get into unless you have a smile permanantly attached to your face and fit their so-called image (which is pretty bad right now,to be honest)

My son got a job at Walmart and then was harassed by another employee, threatened to watch his back, told the supervisor, supervisor told him just to do his job and forget it, the other employee wouldn't lay off, so my son had to quit. Walmart supervisors are as bad as you hear, they don't care about their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

2green4u@rushmore.com in Rapid City, South Dakota

95 months ago

I just want to say that I've never worked at Wal-Mart but I hate them too. They only buy junk from China and put Americans out of work. I am boycottingn the huge corporation. I have a girlfried that works there and she's going on three years. The last time I saw her she looked like she was afraid of her "bosses." Notice the plural on boss. I can't begin to tell you how much she has changed and how she used to be. Sad just Sad...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

timothy1974 in grinnell, Iowa

95 months ago

Kristen in Zelienople, Pennsylvania said: Are you effin kidding me? Its no wonder you go to Walmart for one thing, and get stuck there for hours!

I applied to walmart, and told them I had had a criminal conviction over seven years ago... They interviewed me three times, and sent me for my drug screen... and background check.

I passed the drug screen, but as suspected a criminal history check proved that I had been completely honest to them about the trouble I had been in seven years prior, before...

and so...

they didn't hire me. . what a complete and total waste of my pee.

I had almost the exact thing happen. Almost verbatim. My misdemeanor drug charge was six years ago. I was honest. I went throuigh the long interview process, peed in a cup. They told me that most people's drug charges are felonies, and that stops them from getting hired. I called Wal-mart four or five times before the results came back: "unhireable". Wal-mart isnt good for a thing except for cheap products, and thats at the cost of poor, chinese workers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

ifuluvmisery said: Shane,
God has nothing to do with this forum. Since you can't seem to read, I drove over an 1 hr and a 1/2 each way. Thank you for finding and printing my quote. Maybe if you took you hands off of your security b*lls, you would see the light that walmart s**ks. You have a very angry and poor attitude, try being more positive. Good luck.

I have a hard time believing that you would have to drive 90 minutes to a wal-mart ANYWHERE. I live in rural Iowa and there are probably 15 wal-marts in a 90-minute driving area. Where do you live, on Mt. McKinley? And even if it is true that it was the closest Wal-mart, I think i'd work somewhere else, rather to drive 90 minutes for $7.50 an hr!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Helen Phan in Edwardsville, Illinois

94 months ago

I would like to have some information about Management Training Programl for Assisatant Store Manager/ Store Manager of Walmart. Can anyone help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

uh huh as a clerk? maybe if you're management

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

they could put u off for weeks ro months, and something hits "wrong" in your app they;ll pull it for 60 days and not even tell you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kds1369 in Grindstone, Pennsylvania

93 months ago

I applied almost a month ago, I was called three days later and set up an interview. I went to my interview on a thursday and things went well so he set up one for the following Monday at 2. I showed up promptly and after sitting around for 15 minutes someone finally came out and told me they had no recollection of me every applying. After searching they found my original application but had no idea I had an interview schedueled. 45 minutes later I was interviewed a second time with the same questions. She told me she would call me the next morning so I could come in and fill out paperwork and go for my drug test. By the next afternoon I called and they still hadn't fixed my paperwork problem and it would be another day. I was called later that evening to set up a third interview. I went in and they had me fill out paperwork stating I was hired as long as my background check and drug test cleared. They told me the drug test would take 3 days and I would get a call in 3 to 5 days when orientation was ready. I have never been arrested for anything and I'm 7 months pregnant so I knew I'd pass my drug test. It's been 11 days and I've heard nothing, I quit my other job because I was assured I had this one. I tried calling and I keep getting a freaking busy signal. I really don't want to waste my time going down there because they are all morons and have no idea what's going on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

LIL TRINA A FORT MYERS PRINC3SS in TAMPA, Florida

93 months ago

Yolander Coleman in Dallas, Texas said: I"ve applied to the Wal-Mart#949. I have went to the store several times and submitted my application. Given the chance to work there as a stocker are just keeping the aisles clear and cludder free. I feel that my application is being over looked and not considered. Given a job there I would be willing to help in all departments.

well all i can say is go look for a another job then that what i will do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mee too in Elko, Nevada

91 months ago

I applied for a job at walmart friday for a spicific area and they called me a couple hours later said that they didnt have an opening for that area but they did for another area if I was interested I have a job interview tomarrow and I am nervous as hell because I am not good at interviews any thing that can help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

walmartemployee1 in Florida

90 months ago

I found it very hard to get a job at Walmart..I had to keep updating my application, and I called constantly asking if they looked at my app yet. That seemed to work, but it took a while. I even went in and talked to the office manager and told her I was very interested. They need to know you are serious about the job. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

walmartemployee1 in Florida

90 months ago

mee too in Elko, Nevada said: I applied for a job at walmart friday for a spicific area and they called me a couple hours later said that they didnt have an opening for that area but they did for another area if I was interested I have a job interview tomarrow and I am nervous as hell because I am not good at interviews any thing that can help

No need to worry about the interview..it is a piece of cake and there really are no wrong answers. I was nervous too, but found out i worried for nothing. Just be honest .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bob Doe in Indiana, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

ifuluvmisery said: Some people think that its going to be all smiles and cupcakes..... but its work.

People don't all think that way and do work hard. I had a miserable experience and you didn't. Everybody's has their own story to tell.

Well? What is it? Were you in Mgmt?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bob Doe in Indiana, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Helen Phan in Edwardsville, Illinois said: I would like to have some information about Management Training Programl for Assisatant Store Manager/ Store Manager of Walmart. Can anyone help me?

I am looking for the same information but so far, not too many intelligent answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

frears in portsmouth

89 months ago

Howard Nagle in Nashville, Tennessee said: Most walmart workers have an IQ of 85. If You IQ is not that low they wont hire You.

HI,walmart worker hater i been working for a walmart dc in shipping for 7 months and i am not a manager or a assistant manager and i make 17.50 hr working 3 12 shiffs sat,sun,mon+ot i bust my ass off and i love it and my the way will be at 20.00 with in 2 years of hire how much you making in tennessee not 17.50.
If you are looking for a job at walmart and are not scared of hard labor work check in see if there a walmart distribution in your

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

wma NJ in Elizabeth, New Jersey

89 months ago

For those of you that are interested in an Assistant Manager position, you will go through a 16 week training program during which the pay will vary depending on whether you are an internal or external hire. Once that is complete, you will start off at a base salary of $43,500. In addition, you will make Metro pay of about 10% if your in a metro market(near an urban center of population such as a large city.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.