How to get a job at Wal-Mart.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 163)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Ryan K in Brick, New Jersey

73 months ago

ifuluvmisery said: I wouldn't recommend working there to my worst enemy.
I worked for 6 months as an Assistant Manager. The training left a lot to be desired, 16 weeks with lots of travel and plenty of grunt work. What they promise you is not what you get. All I had was &750. Deductible Health Ins. and a 10% worthless discount card. They pick what store you go to, I had and 1.5 drive each way. They schedule what hours you work and 60+ for mang, all others get selected for there 3-6 interview process based on the stores needs, not yours. You must apply in store at their filthy kiosk. Trust me your job description they have you read and sign will entail a multitude of other responsibilities. Yes, many employees are treated poorly, whether you work hard or hardly work, including Asst. Mangs. If you are the Store Mang. pet it's not as bad. Now upper Mang. runs the show. It has gotten worse, per my Assistant Manager friend who's still working there until he finds something else. It was the worst job I have ever worked.

Just because you are lazy doesn't give you the right to bash Wal*mart as a whole. I went through the NEW 8 WEEK training program from August 20th-October 5th 2007 in CT. Now let me tell you how bad Wal*Mart is... They paid for a 4-star Holdiay Inn hotel room for the entire duration (because I live at the Jersey Shore), a $750 food card and a 500 minute calling card. On top of that they paid us travel time from the hotel to the store and back EVERYDAY...They even paid us travel time to go home on weekends if we wanted to. (Sometimes that would acrew 25 hours of OVERTIME a week just for driving). I have been out of the program for almost 6 months now, and I couldn't be happier. I work 45 hours a week (that is what we're salaried for) and even during Christmas never worked more than 50 hours a week (even at that we got 4 comp days after the holidays, which are extra days off with pay for those of you who don't know).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Bob Doe in Indiana, Pennsylvania said: I am looking for the same information but so far, not too many intelligent answers.

The management training program is great. I went through it Aug20th-Oct5th 2007. They recently revamped it, it is now 8 weeks..(4 weeks in a training store "classroom", 2 weeks training hands on in the store your going to as an ASM, and then 2 more weeks in the training store as a follow.) You work 7-4 Monday-Friday, mostly bookwork, they DO NOT abuse you and make you work at the training store. They teach you mostly management techniques, not too much about Wal*Mart itself. If the training store is far away they will pay for your hotel (I had a nice Holiday Inn), you get a $750 food card and a 500 minute calling card. It is very hands on in the classroom and very teamwork orientated... You do situational skits and I really had a good time, made some good friends and kept them when we all left and now you have 11 other people to contact if you run into trouble. Also, your training is all hourly paid, so if you go home on weekends like I did they pay straight OVERTIME for your drive home, as well as .46 cents per mile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

tony in Devils Elbow, Missouri said: YOU MUST BE A LITTLE OFF. 10% IS NOTHING.

You just can't please everyone, 10% is better than nothing isn't it? You ungrateful person...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

wma NJ in Elizabeth, New Jersey

73 months ago

Ryan K in Brick, New Jersey said: I am in the Western New Jersey market (279), my BASE salary is 38,000, plus my RPZ (Regional Pay Zone) which is 10%. So right out of the program, 21 years old I am making 41,800. We get annual raises as well, plus bonuses. I got a $966 dollar end of year bonus, and that was only working in my store from Oct15th - Jan31st. Other ASM's in my store got in upwards of $7,000.

The getting called out to other stores in the market on your days off to solve their problems. Oh, and those comp days, don't count on those always being available. Get ready for these things, because believe me they WILL happen. I think its great that the position has been so good to you so far, it can be very rewarding and satisfying at times but take it from me, I would'nt get too comfortable with those 45 hour work weeks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DEEJAY Z in SOMEWHERE, Illinois

72 months ago

I ahve a question though.....When they interview you they do a bcakground check, right? How long in the past do they normally go back?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

DEEJAY Z in SOMEWHERE, Illinois said: I ahve a question though.....When they interview you they do a bcakground check, right? How long in the past do they normally go back?

Usually all the way back until your age of 18. Depending on how bad your violations are, that's how they normally base their determinations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sherwood mccrary in Brevard, North Carolina

71 months ago

i'm handicapped and i would love to find a job at wal-mart. i can put things together, or anything like stock or a greater or in the garden center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

zuese godson in Leesburg, Virginia

70 months ago

how long after the drug test did they call u to come in for oriantation.I went to the interview and was under the impression that i got the job. they said they were gonna call me this week, but its been 3 days since i took the drug test, still no call....confident i passewd the test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

You got to take a drug test on the weekend?? Anyway, it all depends on how your personnel people handle orientations. Some only do it once a week, and some do it twice or three times a week. Just be patient my friend. We are just coming out of a holiday, so some things may have been delayed. Let me know if you get a call..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

frears in portsmouth

70 months ago

frears in portsmouth said: HI,walmart worker hater i been working for a walmart dc in shipping for 7 months and i am not a manager or a assistant manager and i make 17.50 hr working 3 12 shiffs sat,sun,mon+ot i bust my ass off and i love it and my the way will be at 20.00 with in 2 years of hire how much you making in tennessee not 17.50.
If you are looking for a job at walmart and are not scared of hard labor work check in see if there a walmart distribution in your

it's me frears been at a walmart dc for a year now at 17.94 loving it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Carmella in Newark, New Jersey

70 months ago

Where do you go to fill out an application for a job at the new Walmart in Edison, New Jersey?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

frears in portsmouth

70 months ago

zuese godson in Leesburg, Virginia said: how long after the drug test did they call u to come in for oriantation.I went to the interview and was under the impression that i got the job. they said they were gonna call me this week, but its been 3 days since i took the drug test, still no call....confident i passewd the test

the back round check takes awhile depening on your state

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bonnie cartwright in Greenfield, Ohio

70 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Thay have job posted you put you'r apply and call But still can't get in . so how can you get on a wal mart

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chloe Arvedsen in Reno, Nevada

69 months ago

Does Walmart do a full FBI fingerprint check? Or just a check run on SSN and name?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

lady shiloh in Dayton, Texas

68 months ago

I have applied at my local WalMart for over a year. I have never received a call for an interview. I don't understand their hiring process. Some of the people I've seen at our WalMart have been convicted of crimes from stealing to credit card theft. The local store had a million dollars in shortage and they wonder what happened. I've been a store manager and assist. manager for over ten years and I don't understand the reasoning behind their application questions. I am honest as the day is long and don't understand when I see thieves working in the store. What's wrong with this situation? What is their reason for hiring problems like that? I often wonder if this message is read by anyone in the Bentonville, Arkanasas office? I also wonder if the District and Regional Managers really are doing their jobs by looking into any of these problems at their stores and if they will ever do anything about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cb8808 in South Carolina

68 months ago

although i didnt accept the job, i applied to kmart online and i was able to automatically set up an interwiew online. it was very easy. the bad part of the interview though was watching a boring video with actors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

SinCity Employee in Henderson, Nevada

68 months ago

I know all too well what your saying. I work at 2593 in Vegas and it's so horrible. The associates themselves act like middle-aged teenagers and the assistants don't give a damn about anything or anyone. I am getting gipped big time on my pay. I started working at walmart 2 years ago and was job coded as an overnight softlines stocker. Apparently, stoking softlines is only a level one position compared to every other overnight worker who are at level two. But, I've been moved out of softlines during those 2 years on numerous occasions to work at level two positions. About three months ago I moved out of softlines and was then considered a level two "overnight stocker". The only reason why I found this out was because a manager noticed that I was still job coded at level one even though I wasn't in softlines anymore. She said that I was getting paid 20 cents less than I was supposed to be. Well, the co-manager told me that I won't get retro pay and I just have to take the loss. I told him that 20 cents might seem menial, but missing 20 cents pay every hour for 3 months adds up to about $100. On top of that, If I were moved out of softlines many times, it's only right for me to get paid 20 cents extra for all those hours.

The co-manager basically brushed it off, pretending he didn't hear me. I told him that It's understandble that he doesn't care because all walmart employees are replaceable. I mean, it's not like a manager should give a damn about the concerns of his employees anyway!...especially walmart management!!!

Walmart sucks! Advise to everyone: do not work their, especially overnight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

purple in Knoxville, Tennessee

66 months ago

jewls said: don't forget most states pay for them to hire welfare, who dont want to really work, but say no to those that actually have a work history.

THEY GET A KICK BACK. IT'S NOT RIGHT THEY GET HIRED BEFORE OTHERS. I TAKE OFFENSE TO THE NOT WANTING TO WORK THING THO. THAT'S NOT ALWAYS THE CASE NOW.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeffy in Here

64 months ago

TO all Wal Mart bashers:

I must wonder if YOU are as successful as we are? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Just look at the financials as you cry about how we suk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

hdeborah74@yahoo.com in Frederick, Maryland

63 months ago

I APPLIED ONLINE ONE DAY LAST WEEK . I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CALL ONE OF THE STORES.ive been looking to hear from some one

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I am an Assistant Manager in New Jersey and honestly Wal-Mart isn't doing too much hiring right now. They are slightly cutting hours to their current associates and probably the only company right now not laying people off. You can call a store, but don't be surprised if they aren't hiring for another 3-4 weeks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

hdeborah74@yahoo.com in Frederick, Maryland said: I APPLIED ONLINE ONE DAY LAST WEEK . I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CALL ONE OF THE STORES.ive been looking to hear from some one

I am an Assistant Manager in New Jersey and honestly Wal-Mart isn't doing too much hiring right now. They are slightly cutting hours to their current associates and probably the only company right now not laying people off. You can call a store, but don't be surprised if they aren't hiring for another 3-4 weeks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Catdancer in Saratoga Springs, New York

63 months ago

WM NO-GO'ER in Cranford, New Jersey said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Yes, . Having worked at the AR main office for the passed 2 years, my advise is STAY AWAY. Unless, of course, you like to make stupid decisions and not have to answer for them, be mean and/or unprofessional most of the time, waste other people's time such as your key suppliers, dress like you're from the back woods, allow your boss/management to spy on you, etc. then maybe this is the place for you. Or, if you like to wear name-tags, stand up and cheer, wear lots and lots of WM pins, work hard for low wages maybe you should contact them... Trust me, stay away, it's like a cult and we all know that's never good.

I too, used to work for Wal Mart (we call in Wally World where I live) and my store made a cess pool look pure. One employee got fired because he refused to help the store manager steal electronics. My ex-manager rented an U-Haul truck, a large one, they got rid of that employee by claiming he was stealing company time because he moved his car while on his 15 min. break. If you want to work in an environment where you can trust NO ONE, if you want to deal with two faced back stabbers, if you want to see people rewarded for doing jack-squat for hours on end, if you want to be spied on, if you want no private life, if you want to work in an environment where you are CONSTANTLY watched, and always treated as thief, if you love to brown nose people, love little, tight cliques, if you loved high school, if you love being around profoundly stupid people, if you love having your idea's stolen, I could go on....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Marie in Cleveland, Ohio

63 months ago

I applied online about a month ago and received a call back today to schedule an interview. To be frank, I was pretty surprised that Wal Mart is still hiring. The position is for a department manager.
Does anyone know if certain department managers make more an hour than others (Possibly for having a more difficult duty, etc)? I don't feel particularly comfortable telling interviewers the pay rate I prefer to start out at- does Wal Mart tell you the rate you will receive or do they ask you how much you think you should be paid?
I have pretty good interviewing skills, but I am a bit nervous for this one as I have heard how strict and harsh Wal Mart can be. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Michele Thornton in Tobaccoville, North Carolina

61 months ago

WM NO-GO'ER in Cranford, New Jersey said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Yes, . Having worked at the AR main office for the passed 2 years, my advise is STAY AWAY. Unless, of course, you like to make stupid decisions and not have to answer for them, be mean and/or unprofessional most of the time, waste other people's time such as your key suppliers, dress like you're from the back woods, allow your boss/management to spy on you, etc. then maybe this is the place for you. Or, if you like to wear name-tags, stand up and cheer, wear lots and lots of WM pins, work hard for low wages maybe you should contact them... Trust me, stay away, it's like a cult and we all know that's never good.

Obviously by the way you type it's no wonder why your no longer there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I worked for Wal-Mart in the corporate office in the past and think it was a wonderful place to work. As we all know a job is what you make of it. If you have a bad attitude and act miserable then you will have a miserable job. The pay is decent and they offer good benefits. They offer excellent training programs and the culture is good. People need to keep in mind that a cashier position is a job targeted for highschool/college students or retired persons looking for a part time job. For people that want to work an entry level job and make executive salaries you need to get real. As far as getting a job there if you are trying to get on at the store you should apply online. If your qualifications match what they are looking for they will call you. I would encourage you apply every couple of months to keep your application active.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Jeffy in Here said: TO all Wal Mart bashers:

I must wonder if YOU are as successful as we are? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Just look at the financials as you cry about how we suk.[/QUOT

exactly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

LOL. Thanks for the reading material - better than a magazine. This is almost as good as the Amscot posts. When you all need some entertainment from "the other side", go to the legal assistant posts, particularly "How do you survive financially when unemployment runs out."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

siSTAR in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

Hugh Jass in Farmington, Michigan said: If i be gettin free dougnouts and cofeas i'd be love woking fo Walmart. Notin like waitin fo the buss to gets to Walmart. And day git me free stuf if i be put in 85 ours a weak

No offense, but I don't see how you could get "any" job without knowing how to use correct grammar and less ebonics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

siSTAR in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

Marc in El Paso, Texas said: To the people that complain about having a job at Walmart and how bad it is, SHUTUP!!!! You may not be happy, but when you get that check I bet you dont complain. I have a wife and a child that I must support. Any job that pays me, helps me support them. I will take crap from people because I know I dont have to go home to them. Leave work at work. I have an interview at Walmart on Monday. If I get the job there I will be grateful. There are so many people that are jobless who want to work and do not get the opportunity. I feel blessed I got an interview. A job is what you make it , not what someone else makes it. So, stop whining and work. And remember there is a reason for everything!!!

Marc, you are sooo right. The economy is very bad right now and too many people are out of work, can't pay their bills, nor take care of their families because they were laid off, or the company went down, for some others to be complaining "about work". All those who are putting ANY job down, start your own company if you're that good and smart, and do a better job than Wal*Mart. If you can't, then shut-up and thank your higher being that you had a paycheck at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

gojohnnygo in Kansas

60 months ago

I agree. Things went a bit off topic here. The question was, "How do I get a job at Walmart?" The question was not, "What sucks about working at Walmart?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Catdancer in Saratoga Springs, New York

60 months ago

I used to work for Wal Mart, these tips MIGHT help you get a job. Apply at the store you want to work at. TALK TO PEOPLE! If you can, go to human resources, ask about all openings, indicate, clearly where you'd like to work. If you have open availability that's also a big plus. If for example, you want to work in the lawn and garden department, go visit it. Talk to associates, I'd do this during the week when business tends to be slower and associates may have more time to talk to you. If it suits your work style/needs, indicate you would like to be cross trained. Usually this means running a cash register, although, I'm sure it's different in each store. If possible, talk to the assistant manager of the department you want to work in. This will help him/her put a face on an application, which will make you more memorable.I hope these ideas help you out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nightsqueen in Olympia, Washington

56 months ago

DEEJAY Z in SOMEWHERE, Illinois said: I ahve a question though.....When they interview you they do a bcakground check, right? How long in the past do they normally go back?

That depends on the state you live in, which should be disclosed in the application itself. For instance, here in Washington, an employer may only go back 10 years, and if you have a conviction that is 10 years old or older, you do not even need to disclose it. Some states do not have this limitation, and that is unfortunate for those who have made minor mistakes in their younger days and have been on the straight path ever since.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hostility in Round Rock, Texas

53 months ago

The pay sucks but if you need to pay the bills. walmart is fair for temp work. Best time is now with black friday and xmas coming along they need help. I did it online. Selected most of the job topics and had a call 2 hrs later. Had my wife pee for me passed the test and had a call that same day. Hey... it is work. By the way dont use the kiosk there they don't work half the time and you never get a reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wilderness of Mirrors in Cheyenne, Wyoming

51 months ago

Ryan in NJ...
A few quick business questions (to save Wal Mrt HR and myself time).

1. Does Wal Mart do a credit check under the FCRA?
2. Do I have enough credentials to apply for management?

The good:
No felonies/misdemeanors EVER, never used/tried illegal drugs, Eagle scout, never been fired from a job (laid off 2x in 10 years), I possess a Bachelor of Arts degree (Liberal Arts/Humanities), I am an 8 year (decorated) Air Force veteran, and willing to work ANY shift, in ANY department, ANYWHERE.

Yet, I "overqualified." My sister thinks I very may well possess more credentials than the very people potentially interviewing and hiring me, therefore I am overlooked, like a felon, habitual drug user, or shiftless person looking for a hand out.

I want to WORK, damnit. And I am tired of the poor excuses.

The bad:
I was laid off from my previous job in June 2008. I worked as a professional musican for an entire year, making just enough to barely eek by. I was foreclosed on December 1, 2009. I am 8 months behind on unsecured debt payments.
(no job to pay the bills). I have worked various temp things, paying as I made money, but nothing solid or permanent (yet).

The WEIRD:
I have been told -outright- that I am "overqualified" for the majority of the jobs I have applied for. Being somewhat flabbergasted, I am presuming that "overqualified" in most corporate HR circles could be interpreted as, "you have more going for you than most; more bullets in your bandolera. You have a college degree/decorated veteran/no felonies, therefore you have more of an opportunity to just "bolt" if you don't wish to stay with a job."

I thought I've heard it all, but being "overqualified" takes the cake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

lucilu in Tulsa, Oklahoma

48 months ago

This is to fuluvmisery,

Im gunna have to agree with Shane. First of all, he said God, not as a reference to him but using it to mean like "geez" Nextly, he doesnt have a poor or angry mentality. As a matter of fact, he is spot on. You are the one with the negative outlook. You are the perfect employee because you are negative. You are thinking walmart sucks...i hate my job...the secret to life is this, if you think negatively about your job or life or any certain circumstance, because you focus on that, you are putting negativity out there and so more bad and negativity of working at walmart comes, so you hate your job more, and you keep thinking about that, and it just keeps getting worse. There is a reason that 95% of the wealth is kept by about 1% of the population, and that is because people have negative, cant do it attitudes, so they get no where. The go getters of the world get somewhere because they bust ass and think positive always. Thats why he said if you had any balls, you would start your own company, because thats how you make it. I am 23, and my husband alone makes 65k a year. Why? Because he is smart, has a positive attitude and goes after things he wants. Maybe instead of sitting here bitching about your life or having a screen name that obviously dictates that you are negative...imfuluvmisery...that is probably correct...why not start think more positively.

For all those who have yet to see this, please watch it and take a more positive outlook from it. You can work in the same place with someone else, and have a completely different experience just based on your outlook.

www.youtube.com/w

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

I Heart Walmart in Many, Louisiana

42 months ago

I have worked at Wal-mart for two years. I found the job by walking into a store and taking the test at the kiosk. Afterward, I asked to speak to the personnel manager. She spoke to me for over an hour, and created a requisition to get me hired within the week. I was very nervous. I always am when dealing with a situation where I know I am being judged. I do love people though, and I think that shows.
I smiled a lot and tried to stay engaged in the communication process; both during the initial meeting and the later interview. When I knew the interview was coming I simply did a web search of possible interview questions and practiced answering them until I sounded natural
Those tests on the Wal-mart Hiring Kiosks can seem very hard if you over-think your answers. I have found that the best way to answer is to tell them what my “best self” would do in an ideal situation. I also do not try to answer in the middle. My answer is either all the way in agreement, or all the way in disagreement. This same method worked for me with the test for hourly wage supervisor, and salaried manager. I passed both.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ohio1993 in Salem, Ohio

32 months ago

dannette watkins in Margaret, Alabama said: well I work at walmart overnight in the cash office. how you apply is go inside and apply at the kiosk...its a computer at customer service or in their old layaway. They were really laid back in the hiring process. But if you know they need help and they don't get intouch with you right away call the HR department within that store. Let them know you applied for whatever position and ask them do they need help in that area? They told me right away and then they set up a requisition and told me to come in that night for an interview. Be persistant, they need the help but don't sometimes have enough time in the day to get everything done. They want you, trust me. Just be persistant. It took me about a week.

I called out to Wal-mart,asked the lady if I could talk to the Manager/person in charge of hiring about my application..and she said "oh we don't really have you talk to the manager about that"So who do I call out and talk to about that i'm very interested in the job.tomorrow will be the 4th day since i applied out at wal-mart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mon in Mulberry, Kansas

30 months ago

tina in Tampa, Florida said: Wow, you got a job at Walmarts and you can't spell. Why am I not surprised. Maybe you just don't spell in English.

Seriously, lay off. She's probably dyslexic. Cool for bullying people with disabilities. I wish more people had her attitude, to be honest. And why is it that you're even reading the "How to get a job at Wal-Mart" page yourself, anyways? LOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

staceea in Lewiston, Idaho

30 months ago

ree said: I APPLIED ONLINE ONE DAY LAST WEEK . I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING YET. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CALL ONE OF THE STORES?

i would call it certiniallycant hurt :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

umpire128 in Dover, New Hampshire

28 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I was able to get two interviews with two diffrent walmarts, one with a supercenter the other with just being a big walmart.

I got interviews in the two days they called me. the ws called me first, than the other walmart called me. and made a date than i went for interview than they called me back again since for a second interview.

at the time they had some issue putting me in as an empyolee since my other interview for sw still "depanding" so i had to call them told them i got an offer at this walmart i went back like three times so they could offer the job, get the drug test etc... and they hired me. it takes about three weeks to get your first pay check and its ususally bi weekly. it may be diffrent at your local walmart though.

sw=super walmart

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

AH in Jackson, Mississippi

26 months ago

T. in Tampa, Florida said: Unfortunately, when you go to this Walmart website, you have to register, give them your social security number, names and numbers of references etc. before you can even get to the point to see if there are any jobs for you to apply for. I don't feel comfortable giving out that kind of information with no idea if there is even a job.

The information on the application is basically the same as any other application. If you use the excuses like you gave for not applying for work, then you won't make it far in life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Marko2251 in Austin, Texas

25 months ago

tina in Tampa, Florida said: Wow, you got a job at Walmarts and you can't spell. Why am I not surprised. Maybe you just don't spell in English.[/QUOTE

Maybe you should stop caring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Marko2251 in Austin, Texas

25 months ago

tina in Tampa, Florida said: Wow, you got a job at Walmarts and you can't spell. Why am I not surprised. Maybe you just don't spell in English.[/QUOTE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bEONDbLESSED in Indianola, Mississippi

24 months ago

lady shiloh in Dayton, Texas said: I have applied at my local WalMart for over a year. I have never received a call for an interview. I don't understand their hiring process. Some of the people I've seen at our WalMart have been convicted of crimes from stealing to credit card theft. The local store had a million dollars in shortage and they wonder what happened. I've been a store manager and assist. manager for over ten years and I don't understand the reasoning behind their application questions. I am honest as the day is long and don't understand when I see thieves working in the store. What's wrong with this situation? What is their reason for hiring problems like that? I often wonder if this message is read by anyone in the Bentonville, Arkanasas office? I also wonder if the District and Regional Managers really are doing their jobs by looking into any of these problems at their stores and if they will ever do anything about it.

Well needless to say , it sounds to me like you are doing alot of juding. This post caught my attention because I too got in some trouble on the count of someone elses actions and I got a pending felony on my record. I know good and well I am not a criminal but on paper it says I am so it doesn't matter. My point is you don't know those peoples story and maybe they are there to try and keep from getting into trouble. You can't get mad because they won't call you. Walmart has a specific hiring process which depends on how you fill out your application. They probably arent calling because you haven't listed anything they want to see like if you are availiable anytime or that you would work in any dept. Thats the kind of stuff they look at. So go back in and edit your app. And please stop looking down on people because of their past, nobody is perfect and everybody deserves a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

AlucardHellsing in Hamilton, Ohio

24 months ago

I've tried applying for Walmart for years. Applying for Jobs for the past six years. Most Employers don't even want to waste their time training someone who doesn't have any experience or have little experience. I am outrage by how this hiring process is. I've moved like three times the past couple years to even get a Job and lost nearly everything. I kept following up applications and These Employers just don't want someone who has little or no experience. Just irritates me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha Boyd in Stockton, California

20 months ago

I have been applying and renewing my application at Walmart for years and I have not heard a single thing back from them. Recently I found out there was a hiring center for the store nearby and hoping that maybe there would be someone to talk to but the woman there gave me nothing. It was basically the same thing as applying on my own computer except I got to hear it from her that there was no one I could talk to. Even the number on the sign they had was disconnected. I really don't have any more ideas on what to do to try and get a job there..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

breeced1129 in Fredericksburg, Texas

19 months ago

If you are not getting a call from Wal-Mart then there is probably a reason. They usually only hire during certain times, right before summer, Christmas, etc. After Christmas the hiring is put to a halt for a few months. Also if the store is not making a profit then it is likely that they are firing more people and cutting hours, so they are not going to be hiring. Another thing could be the days available. Some managers won't even look at an application if a person can not work weekends. I mean, seriously, it is retail. The busiest times are weekends and evenings. I am currently trying to move up the corporate Wal-Mart ladder and I do agree with a lot of their business practices because they are a business and they have to make money. I have also seen how associates take advantage and think they need to get paid for doing nothing.

If you want to apply at Wal-Mart, there are two ways. You can go to Walmart.com and click on careers or go into the store and use the kiosk. Then if you don't hear from them in a week call and ask for the personnel manager. That is who called me for my interview. It is not a bad job for the most part, but a lot of it has to do with the people you work with too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

19 months ago

I'm not sure you guys are reading my posts correctly. I pass the assessment tests no problems. I've been applying 3 years online to this place. THREE YEARS. Someone says there is a reason I'm not getting called. Well, what is the reason? Because I'm 52? There are people older than that working out here. I can't get an interview there for some reason. I've been applying online for 3 years. Something isn't right when you can't even get a phone call

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Nanettes in California

18 months ago

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois said: I've been applying at WalMart for two and a half years and have not gotten one phone call for an interview. Any ideas why? I have not worked for several years and am trying to get back in the work force to help my husband with our many expenses since buying our new home, so I really have no references, could this be the problem? I have a childhood friend that works there and she says that she doesn't think they really look at that, or your experience. There's no place on the online application to explain your situation, so I do it where it asks reason for leaving last job. I was honest, I was fired, but I try to explain my situation, hoping I will get an interview. But 2 and a half years, and NO interview??? I am an older female, 51, but they seem to hire any ages, so could someone please give me some insight as to why I can't get an interview? Thanks so much.

Why were you fired? This is probably the reason that you are not getting an interview. As long as its not lengthy you can explain the reason in the why you left box.

Just keep applying. If you cant get a job at Walmart theres a good chance that no one will be hiring you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.