How to get a job at Wal-Mart.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 168)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Nanettes in California

24 months ago

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois said: I'm not sure you guys are reading my posts correctly. I pass the assessment tests no problems. I've been applying 3 years online to this place. THREE YEARS. Someone says there is a reason I'm not getting called. Well, what is the reason? Because I'm 52? There are people older than that working out here. I can't get an interview there for some reason. I've been applying online for 3 years. Something isn't right when you can't even get a phone call

I'm 51 and I just got a job there. But I also have an education and higher end corporate experience.

Again, you indicated above that you were fired from your previous position. This may be the reason they aren't calling you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nanettes in California

24 months ago

T. in Tampa, Florida said: Unfortunately, when you go to this Walmart website, you have to register, give them your social security number, names and numbers of references etc. before you can even get to the point to see if there are any jobs for you to apply for. I don't feel comfortable giving out that kind of information with no idea if there is even a job.

They probably have employees constantly cycle in and out so if you have your information posted you have a MUCH better chance of getting a job when there is one. You dont search job openings when you apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

24 months ago

Nanettes in California said: I'm 51 and I just got a job there. But I also have an education and higher end corporate experience.

Again, you indicated above that you were fired from your previous position. This may be the reason they aren't calling you.

I do explain in the why you left last job box my situation, but I don't tell them WHY I was fired. I just explain I've been out of the job force for a long time and am looking to get back in to help my husband with our expenses. If I said exactly why I was fired, I'd never get an interview anywhere; since I've been seriously looking for a job, I've only had the one interview at a supermarket. If that lady looked into my work history from 11 plus years ago, that is probably why she didn't hire me. But you are right, it's not looking good for me to be able to get work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nanettes in California

24 months ago

Sassy, have you tried doing volunteer work to put down as a part of your work history or have you tried a temp agency? Many companies are not interested in anything past 10 years of work history, maybe its time to simply drop that chapter off of your life.

In the interim would it be possible to take a college course of some kind for personal enrichment? There is probably a local community college in your area that offers online courses. The idea is just to demonstrate what you have been doing with that time that seems productive in some way.

It really is tough out there right now. I wish you the best and say just keep trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

23 months ago

I agree that employers shouldn't be interested in anything past 10 years, but the Walmart application wants jobs listed from the past 10 years. Either I put something down that is past 10 years ago, or nothing at all. Either one doesn't look good! I'm not interested in volunteer or college courses, and I've tried temps before. I have a transportation issue that forces me to take taxis to town, and signing with a temp agency right now would cost a lot in going back and forth for testing, etc. You brought up the firing...lots of people get fired and are given another chance. Is there a way I can overcome this somehow? I can only keep putting on my app in the why I left last job box why I want a job, which is sincere, but it's not getting any response. Should I maybe call the store and ask? I did that several years ago during Christmas season, I had applied twice with no response, and called, got a very rude response to the effect, please don't call us, if we want you we will call. Even my husband, who has been in managerial positions, cannot understand why I've not been contacted for an interview after 3 years of trying. He says when he interviewed people, he paid no attention to past experience or firings, etc. He went by how they presented themselves and their interest in the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

23 months ago

I always wanted the "Greeter" job.

"Hello, and welcome to Walmart. Have a nice day."

I am probably "over-qualified"-- stupidest word of the century.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

23 months ago

None of the Greeters I saw were ever any good though. It always looked like the person had only a few days to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

23 months ago

I know what you mean. I don't think they could stop a shoplifter from leaving. Someone told me they don't do that at Walmart anyway. It's not worth the hassle over something small now. But that does drive prices up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

2950 in Palmdale, California

19 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Apply online, take and pass the assessment test. You need to have open availability. They switch our hours and days weekly. Overnight stockers are always in demand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

19 months ago

2950 in Palmdale, California said: Apply online, take and pass the assessment test. You need to have open availability. They switch our hours and days weekly. Overnight stockers are always in demand.

I have applied every two months for 3 years now. I pass the assessment test and have pretty flexible availability. I have stopped a couple of workers in Walmart when I've been in there in hopes of getting some hints as to why I can't get hired (or an interview) It all seems to come down to maybe the fact I was fired at my last job, which was 12 years ago. I've been out of the work force for some time yes, but I want to get back in and no one is giving me a chance. I put on my WM application that I was fired, I'm honest, is this why I'm not getting an interview??? Everyone gets fired at some time in their life, and gets another chance. I want a job very much and my time out of the work force was a choice, not just because of the firing. Should I talk to someone at the store?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

2950 in Palmdale, California

19 months ago

They go back 10 years. I put on my app that I was a stay at home mom for most of the time and did volunteer work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Peter in Englewood, Florida

19 months ago

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois said: Well, like I said, I've been applying online about 3 years, and not one phone call. I passed the assessment test with no problems, and I selected all the positions that I was interested in, except cashier , and I've heard that they don't really look at your application unless you want to do that, is this true? I don't have a lot of work experience, and haven't worked in about 11 years. I reapply every 2 months and still hear nothing, even with my persistence. The same thing happened at our local grocery store , I applied there awhile but finally got an interview, was led to believe that I would get a job when an opening became available in the areas I applied for, but that was 5 months ago, so I guess I'm just pretty much out of luck with these places. If they aren't picky about work experience or care about references, and they are hiring , why can't I get a call? I remember several years ago, I even applied for holiday season help, (twice), didn't hear anything, finally called them, and got a very rude reply, something to the effect of "please don't call, if we want you we will call". Very discouraging. I really don't know what to do.

Reasons why they are not hiring you:
1. your assessment did not put you in the first tier..just because you passed it doesn't mean you passed it at a level that put you in the first tier and made you eligible for hire...it's possible your ap fed into the non-competitive pile and they are not able to hire you
2. your job history isn't desirable...walmart prefers not to hire people that have big holes in their job history or only work a few months here or there and then move on
3. you availability isn't desirable...most stores will not hire anyone that isn't open 24/7, no exceptions
4. they may simply not be hiring...and you ap will only stay in their system for 90 days so if you aren't updating it every 90 days it has dropped out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

19 months ago

Peter in Englewood, Florida said: Reasons why they are not hiring you:
1. your assessment did not put you in the first tier..just because you passed it doesn't mean you passed it at a level that put you in the first tier and made you eligible for hire...it's possible your ap fed into the non-competitive pile and they are not able to hire you
2. your job history isn't desirable...walmart prefers not to hire people that have big holes in their job history or only work a few months here or there and then move on
3. you availability isn't desirable...most stores will not hire anyone that isn't open 24/7, no exceptions
4. they may simply not be hiring...and you ap will only stay in their system for 90 days so if you aren't updating it every 90 days it has dropped out

Guess I'm screwed then huh? I know for sure they are hiring, and I'm pretty sure I nailed those assessment answers to put me in the top tier or whatever the heck it is. I can't change my work history, and yes I have a big gap in there, it can't be changed. I would think my persistence in trying to get an interview would count for something, 3 years for geez sake. Every 2 months when my application expires I try again. As for the holes in work history, they will hire high school kids who have no experience at all, but not even give an interview to someone who is trying to get back into the workforce? Not to mention all the welfare people they are hiring. Damn, wish I could turn the clock back 25 years, maybe I could get an interview with them! Now they are going to be hiring all the vets, so just what is the damn criteria for getting hired at this place? You have to be on welfare, a vet, a high school student, or some old geezer who can't stand up by himself? I'm sorry, but I'm pretty ticked off by the hiring system of some minimum wage place who will hire basically anyone except someone like me who has been trying for 3 dang years. All I want is a chance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nay Montana in Miami, Florida

19 months ago

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois said: Guess I'm screwed then huh? I know for sure they are hiring, and I'm pretty sure I nailed those assessment answers to put me in the top tier or whatever the heck it is. I can't change my work history, and yes I have a big gap in there, it can't be changed. I would think my persistence in trying to get an interview would count for something, 3 years for geez sake. Every 2 months when my application expires I try again. As for the holes in work history, they will hire high school kids who have no experience at all, but not even give an interview to someone who is trying to get back into the workforce? Not to mention all the welfare people they are hiring. Damn, wish I could turn the clock back 25 years, maybe I could get an interview with them! Now they are going to be hiring all the vets, so just what is the damn criteria for getting hired at this place? You have to be on welfare, a vet, a high school student, or some old geezer who can't stand up by himself? I'm sorry, but I'm pretty ticked off by the hiring system of some minimum wage place who will hire basically anyone except someone like me who has been trying for 3 dang years. All I want is a chance!

I Been Applying To Wal Mart Since 2008 And I Just Went To My First Interview Two Week Aqo ! Just Keep Applying

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

candygirl in Baytown, Texas

19 months ago

Sassy, my first tought was the test, if you are not on first tier you are not considered for an interview, but if you are possitive that you're on the first tier, then I don't know what it is. The availability doesn't have to be 24/7, that's just ridiculous, but it has to be open, like 8-10 or something like that. I would suggest you to contact human resources and go to the store and ask for the zone manager, assistant manager or co manager for the possition that you want to work. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rameshrsh@hotmail.com in Kitchener, Ontario

19 months ago

i want to do Cash register for walmart store in waterloo ON

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bluebell_rose in Richmond, British Columbia

18 months ago

lol a job at wal-mart is better than working with vector marketing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

julypit2004

18 months ago

Applied to Walmart and was asked to come in for an interview 4 days later...surprised, somewhat but I have 20 plus years experience with food service. I was interviewed and they offered me a position in deli. I accepted with my availability open but no overnights or long hours shifts. I was there a week and all my shifts were about ( hour shifts with a hour for lunch. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I told the person in charge of scheduling that I need to work 6 hour shifts at the most. I was told by her that they hired me because of my open availability not experience. WTH! Thats why they employees they have look so desperate for work and have criminal records...just need to be available to work yourself to death and your in. Oh by the way they usually only hire temporary which will hopefully turn into part time and it takes 2 years before you receive any benefits. Usually from what I was told by other employees they review you and re job offer to lower hourly salary...WACK JOB!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

julypit2004

18 months ago

9 hour shifts!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

timetobreathe49@yahoo.com in Centreville, Alabama

18 months ago

Its been nearly 8 years since my one time felony charge and have a full pardon and filled out application. Went through both interviews, got job offer, passed drug screen and then the background check was done.

Because I mentioned on the application, my one time felony drug charge, that is what got me. My background check came back as "NO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND FOUND". The reason they did not hire me was due truthful information everyone says you should do. Found out the hard way and now know, I would have a job today if I had LIED.

Most wal-mart stores do not hire if any type of felony charge is had. I guess they don't believe in second chances to those that did not kill, abuse, molest or steal to get a charge. A simple one time drug charge was also put into those 4 categories of DON'T HIRE.

This is one thing our dear White House officials needs to fix. So many of us are able and willing to give it our all on whomever hires us and most of us have no chance. Those that have no felony record and have sat at home for months drawing out their unemployment benefits are as able to get those jobs the we are excluded from now. THEY DON'T WANT THEM AND WE WHO MADE A MISTAKE ONCE OR SO BEG AND LONG FOR WORK AND SECURITY so we can make it in life easier. Our system will not let this happen due to those who sit on their thrown s making laws that affect the little people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

18 months ago

I'm so sorry you went through that. I always thought it would be simple to get a job at Walmart. As you can see by my posts, I've been trying for 3 years, can't even get an interview. Your honesty should have counted for something, and from what I have been reading you should have been given an interview and a job before me, and my faults are that I haven't worked in 11 years and don't have a great work history. But we all should be given a chance. My husband and I are having a hard time making our mortgage payments, and I can't even find work at a grocery store because of my work history. People change, employers need to take this into consideration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sophie9706 in Broomfield, Colorado

16 months ago

I have applied over and over for Walmart, they have called me every time just a couple days after my application, I would do the first interview and then here the same thing, "we have more interviews we will call you". Then either I wouldn't hear anything back or I would call and either hear, "we are still interviewing" or, "I'm not sure why they interviewed you we are not hiring". Well a couple weeks ago I did another application and again got called back for an interview, this is all for the same walmart, I went in and explained I have been interviewed 4 times in 4 months and never hear back. She apologized and went on with the same old interview questions, she then said she was passing me on to the second interview, of course it was with a guy who i interview with before, he said he was going to talk to some people and let me know in a few min. Well a lady comes out saying once again they had more people to interview and would let me know by today if they know anything. Well I didn't hear anything so I called and she said they where still interviewing! I mean for crying out loud just simply tell me I didnt get the job!! I badly need a job right now or Im on the street I dont need to be strung around like a little puppy! Plus if you keep calling me for an interview every month shouldnt that say something?!?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta

16 months ago

Hi!

I've been applying online for store positions for the past 5 months. I have received no call what so ever. I visit the stores regularly to see if they need to people (Never ask them if they're hiring but) as I stroll through the isles and I see messes, everything unorganized and nobody stocking or do anything really which makes me believe that they do need people. I applied for all positions possible, I edit my resume frequently as I find errors but now it's perfect. I keep applying and applying and nothing! I think I'm on tier 2 or something through that assessment or something is holding me back from getting that job. I don't know why I'm not getting any calls. I don't know if I should create a new account and do the assessment all over so I have a better chance and I don't even know if the application goes to a store directly or to HQ where they briefly look at it and it's done. I don't know what to do right now because I don't feel like applying anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan K in Brick, New Jersey

16 months ago

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta said: Hi!

I've been applying online for store positions for the past 5 months. I have received no call what so ever. I visit the stores regularly to see if they need to people (Never ask them if they're hiring but) as I stroll through the isles and I see messes, everything unorganized and nobody stocking or do anything really which makes me believe that they do need people. I applied for all positions possible, I edit my resume frequently as I find errors but now it's perfect. I keep applying and applying and nothing! I think I'm on tier 2 or something through that assessment or something is holding me back from getting that job. I don't know why I'm not getting any calls. I don't know if I should create a new account and do the assessment all over so I have a better chance and I don't even know if the application goes to a store directly or to HQ where they briefly look at it and it's done. I don't know what to do right now because I don't feel like applying anymore.

Your application goes to the store (s) you express interest in. Unfortunately if you did fall into a tier 2 there is nothing you can do, your name wont even show up in the req until ALL other names are exhausted (including tier 1 candidates, transfer associates, and other associates who are already employed there. Best bet is to call personnel in that store and ask if youre tier 2.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta

16 months ago

Wouldn't it be easier to create another account? Anyways, the positions I applied to are no longer there on the search agent so I guess I'll just wait to see when it'll come up again and maybe create a new account. Would their system recognize my previously submitted info on another account?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

16 months ago

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta said: Wouldn't it be easier to create another account? Anyways, the positions I applied to are no longer there on the search agent so I guess I'll just wait to see when it'll come up again and maybe create a new account. Would their system recognize my previously submitted info on another account?

I've been applying for 3 years (as you all probably know by now) and every two months, or 60 days, I have to make up another account name to reapply online. They seem to recognize my SSN because it retains my assessment answers that are supposedly good for two years. I am positive I am on the top tier because, really, how hard are those questions? It's common sense. How you would react, treat a customer, etc. The first time I did this I had my husband, who has worked in retail, watching over my shoulder, and I chose my own answers and he said I picked the right ones. First of all, I think it's stupid to have to make up a new screen name every two months, I've been doing this for 3 years, going to run out of names, and second of all, if you didn't pass the assessment to their satisfaction, why wouldn't they tell you so you could do it over, or at least let you know that is why you aren't getting called for an interview? I just went to Walmart today and saw a bunch of new people. Really makes me mad. Three years and I can't get an interview! Yes I have gaps in my work history, but that can't be changed. I can't believe if getting hired depends on those questions during the assessment that I haven't been called, because some of the people I see working out there could not have possibly answered them correctly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois said: First of all, I think it's stupid to have to make up a new screen name every two months, I've been doing this for 3 years, going to run out of names

LOL!

Not Wal-Mart per se but whenever it asks me for SSN, I back out. That will tie you to every app you submit. You also want to change phone numbers as that can be linked as well.

Some companies will only let you apply every 90 days now. Its not like you can apply for 10 different things every week. They don't want to bother with that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta

16 months ago

The system must have recognized me, I created a new account and in the end I was not asked to complete an assessment because whatever they wanted has been completed, keeping in mind that this is a new account. Weird!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta

16 months ago

Also, they don't ask for SSN cause I'm in Canada. I wonder what they pull that makes me recognized. Changing the format of the phone # didn't work, maybe instead of uploading a resume I should've filled out an application instead? I don't know which is better for them. I guess the name and address plays a factor. Another factor is my availability, I know a place was hiring and I applied there and haven't heard back and my friend is in need of a job so I told him to apply and he got a call the only thing different was the availability. Anyhow, either it's my availability or that I'm placed in tier 2.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

stresslock in Edmonton, Alberta said: Also, they don't ask for SSN cause I'm in Canada. I wonder what they pull that makes me recognized. Changing the format of the phone # didn't work, maybe instead of uploading a resume I should've filled out an application instead? I don't know which is better for them. I guess the name and address plays a factor. Another factor is my availability, I know a place was hiring and I applied there and haven't heard back and my friend is in need of a job so I told him to apply and he got a call the only thing different was the availability. Anyhow, either it's my availability or that I'm placed in tier 2.

There is one or more fields that are the same and the system is doing a field comparison. It might be the name field, the address field or who knows what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

annonymous in Colorado Springs, Colorado

15 months ago

Today Walmart Launches Veterans Commitment and Plans to Hire 100,000 Over the Next Five Years -- Walmart will offer a job to any honorably discharged veteran within their first 12 months off active duty.

I applied, received a phone call, and was e-mailed a link to a 65-question assessment.
I completed the assessment and received an e-mail that said I am NON-COMPETITIVE for a position.

How does WalMart advertise that they will offer Veteran's a job, but then I'm not competitive? I am a 20-year Retired Veteran, and a 10% disabled Veteran on top of that.

I'm going to definitely look into this matter more and find out why I am non-competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie Wynes in Warner Robins, Georgia

15 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Yes, I really need this job right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Zachery in Gainesville, Florida

15 months ago

wma NJ in Elizabeth, New Jersey said: For those of you that are interested in an Assistant Manager position, you will go through a 16 week training program during which the pay will vary depending on whether you are an internal or external hire. Once that is complete, you will start off at a base salary of $43,500. In addition, you will make Metro pay of about 10% if your in a metro market(near an urban center of population such as a large city .)

how do you apply to this training program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jkim in Shawnee, Kansas

14 months ago

Zachery in Gainesville, Florida said: how do you apply to this training program?

The Assistant Management Training is only open to current Walmart employees that are salaried. Then you have to apply for the program and then be selected. There are a lot of people that want these positions because of the high base salary so it's pretty competitive to get into the program.

This guide mentions it www.jobunlocker.com/blog/tips-and-advice-on-applying-for-a-job-at-walmart/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

14 months ago

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois said: I've been applying for 3 years (as you all probably know by now) and every two months, or 60 days, I have to make up another account name to reapply online. They seem to recognize my SSN because it retains my assessment answers that are supposedly good for two years. I am positive I am on the top tier because, really, how hard are those questions? It's common sense. How you would react, treat a customer , etc. The first time I did this I had my husband, who has worked in retail, watching over my shoulder, and I chose my own answers and he said I picked the right ones. First of all, I think it's stupid to have to make up a new screen name every two months, I've been doing this for 3 years, going to run out of names, and second of all, if you didn't pass the assessment to their satisfaction, why wouldn't they tell you so you could do it over, or at least let you know that is why you aren't getting called for an interview? I just went to Walmart today and saw a bunch of new people. Really makes me mad. Three years and I can't get an interview! Yes I have gaps in my work history, but that can't be changed. I can't believe if getting hired depends on those questions during the assessment that I haven't been called, because some of the people I see working out there could not have possibly answered them correctly

Finally, after 3 years, I got a call last Sunday for an interview! It was for the deli department, and I was excited, because deli or bakery is what I really was interested in. I had my interview Wednesday, it's now Saturday and I haven't heard anything. He said he had two more people to interview. I've read a lot online about Walmart interviews and there are so many different scenarios that I don't know what to think. Some say if they like you, you are given a second interview right away, and in some cases, given the drug test. Should I panic?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chad6754 in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

Here's a somewhat helpful post on job-hunting + interviewing at Walmart:

www.workatwalmartjobs.com/hiring-for-walmart-jobs-how-to-get-hired-at-walmart

Good luck, all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shaniqua in Orange Park, Florida

14 months ago

have u called and followed up?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

14 months ago

I have never done this. I think it is being too pushy and obnoxious. I know some think it shows interest in the job, but obviously I am interested or I wouldn't have applied and gone for the interview! Anyway, I guess I didn't get the job, it's been a week since my interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

timetobreathe49@yahoo.com in Centreville, Alabama

14 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Wal-Mart? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

When answering the application questionnaire, answer decisive the either or questions, do not choose those in the middle of what would you do or how you feel. Leave yourself totally open to work any and all positions, so choose several departments you wish to work in or are willing to work in. Be willing to work any hours or shifts. Leave yourself open to what they need. If you limit your days willing to work, then you won't be chosen. You can work that out when you get in. Just be open to even sweep floors if you have to in order to have a job period. I was willing to do whatever it took and was willing to work around any schedule they were willing to give me. I just pure and simple, wanted a job and if you want to work, you have to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joseali in Ontario

14 months ago

Let me start off by saying I'm 15. I recently applied to walmart. I applied Friday and got a call Tuesday. I had no time to call until today. Everything went smooth until I was told I had to be 16 :( Maybe better luck for me next time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

13 months ago

Well, after 3 years, I get the interview, but not the job. I get the distinct impression it was my lack of references that shot me down. If that's the case, I'm screwed. I don't have references at all. I've not worked in 12 years. I have no neighbors, pastors, teachers, etc. This was in a department I was really interested in (deli) I'm wondering if they will even call me again for an interview. I've been applying for 3 years..maybe they just interviewed me to get me off their back. You know, you been interviewed, leave us alone, we are not interested. Any ideas? Should I talk to someone? Is references a big deal at Walmart?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois said: Well, after 3 years, I get the interview, but not the job. I get the distinct impression it was my lack of references that shot me down. If that's the case, I'm screwed. I don't have references at all. I've not worked in 12 years. I have no neighbors, pastors, teachers, etc. This was in a department I was really interested in (deli) I'm wondering if they will even call me again for an interview. I've been applying for 3 years..maybe they just interviewed me to get me off their back. You know, you been interviewed, leave us alone, we are not interested. Any ideas? Should I talk to someone? Is references a big deal at Walmart?

Yeah. You need them. Join a church, a bingo parlor or a quilting club to get some references. Companies are paranoid today.

I am sure they are also wondering how you have managed to survive for 12 years without working. They have even asked me "So who pays your rent?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

13 months ago

If Walmart had asked how I was taking care of myself the last 12 years I would have answered them, but they didn't ask. The interviewer just said, I've got 2 more people to interview, and that was that, I said thank you for your time. I just wrote them an e-mail explaining my situation, hoping to hear from them, but not holding my breath.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Helpful2013 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

12 months ago

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois said: If Walmart had asked how I was taking care of myself the last 12 years I would have answered them, but they didn't ask. The interviewer just said, I've got 2 more people to interview, and that was that, I said thank you for your time. I just wrote them an e-mail explaining my situation, hoping to hear from them, but not holding my breath.

3 years? Get over it! It's time to realize that you aren't going to get a job at WalMart. Go apply somewhere else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois

12 months ago

Helpful2013 in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: 3 years? Get over it! It's time to realize that you aren't going to get a job at WalMart. Go apply somewhere else.

You are a rude azz snotty jerk. They called me again the other day for an interview, but politely said I will not be considered without 2 references. I am working on that. Walmart is not my ideal working place but after 12 years of unemployment I will take it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

james in San Antonio, Texas

12 months ago

SassyJ in Charleston, Illinois said: I'm not sure you guys are reading my posts correctly. I pass the assessment tests no problems. I've been applying 3 years online to this place. THREE YEARS. Someone says there is a reason I'm not getting called. Well, what is the reason? Because I'm 52? There are people older than that working out here. I can't get an interview there for some reason. I've been applying online for 3 years. Something isn't right when you can't even get a phone call

It's their business, aka their bbq the invite anyone to their bbq. doesn't matter if you get hired, more money less money your still going to struggle, no one owe's you anything. not to sound direct, but it's a blessing to be able to have made it to 52, i'm sure you have talent, apply, apply, and learn and learn some more, finally be greatful for any opportuntity

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

12 months ago

SassyJ if references are an issue then get them, start attending somthing and get them, ive hired people and one of the things i was and am firm on is references and also volunteering. If you want this job bad enough then do the one thing they want and get those references, you surely know someone as no one lives in a vacumn, you have said over again that references are the issue so fix it, i say this to help you and thats why i am writing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

timetobreathe49@yahoo.com in Centreville, Alabama

12 months ago

I am 60 and just got hired at walmarts. I answered the long questionnaire and did not check anything in the middle. I clicked on the right or left for my own personal answers and view and nothing in middle that made it seem I was unsure of what I would do. I also had my hours open all the way. Was willing to work any hour and any day. Your application will be pulled if you answered the way they are wanting in order to get interviewed. I work on weekends, weekdays and get two days off. I don't care now in my life about the hours I used to would not do. I just wanted a job and if you do want a job, you will do what is needed to have that job. Your age has nothing to do with NOT getting a job at Walmarts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dking1598 in Houston, Texas

12 months ago

Finding a job now is not that easy and there are other retail stores other than Walmart to work at. Why apply if its not where you wanna work at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

leiamoody in Baltimore, Maryland

11 months ago

I just filled out the online application for Walmart. I got done answering the questionnare where you say if you got TANF, are a veteran, etc. and it said I completed all the assessements! There was none of the usual questions after that which I saw when I applied 3 years ago. Does that mean my application just got rejected?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.