How to get a job at Walgreens.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 255)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Walgreens? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

O in Bolingbrook, Illinois

91 months ago

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get a job at Walgreens. I was interviewed for a Pharm tech position, but didn't get a callback. I have no experience or certification (I know that they have an on-the-job training program), at the same time I was told I scored close to a perfect score on the assessments. I am thinking about re-applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (298) / No (84) Reply - Report abuse

DG in Anderson, South Carolina

91 months ago

Life is too short to say should I think? Have confidence in yourself, and go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

gretcha in Baltimore, Maryland

90 months ago

i went to the interview, i dont know how i did in the assestment but they made me go get a drug test...does that means that i got in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (193) / No (52) Reply - Report abuse

A Walgreens Employee

90 months ago

O said: Just wondering if anyone knows how to get a job at Walgreens. I was interviewed for a Pharm tech position, but didn't get a callback. I have no experience or certification (I know that they have an on-the-job training program), at the same time I was told I scored close to a perfect score on the assessments. I am thinking about re-applying.

Hello. I currently work for Walgreens and have interviewed people for the Pharmacy Technician position, as well as Pharmacy Technician Extern positions. There are numerous reasons that you may not have been selected, all of which may pertain to your interview. BUT, and I say but. You may have applied at a store that actually did not need anyone currently and they were just collecting prospective technicians. If it has been longer than 3 months, apply again, as your application has gone inactive. If it was recent, call the pharmacy manager or the store manager, or whom ever interviewed you. Show lots of interest, but remember to not be a pest!

Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

O in Yorkville, Illinois

90 months ago

Thanks Walgreens Employee!

I suppose it is possible that I interviewed badly. I’m really not sure. The interviewer asked me what I knew about the field and the position and after I finished my spiel, they had nothing more to add. I didn't have any questions because all the questions I prepared were answered at the beginning of the interview. It felt weird actually, I thought they would ask me more questions; especially the classic ones that are asked to asses what kind of worker I might be.
I do know that the location I applied to did not need anyone at the time. The pharmacist there said that he MAY need someone in a couple of months, because he was thinking about making some changes, as he had just started. Still he encouraged me to apply anyway.
The interviewer asked me if I would be interested in other locations or even a floater position so I thought I would have gotten a call back for a second interview. No worries though, I am pursuing another lead. If it doesn't work out, I will complete certification before I reapply, probably will have a better chance that way, as I will not have to go through the class. Thanks again for your reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

John

89 months ago

I have a question for a walgreens manager, what should I expect from the second interview? I have already passed the drug test and the test they have you do online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Selma, North Carolina

89 months ago

John said: I have a question for a walgreens manager, what should I expect from the second interview? I have already passed the drug test and the test they have you do online.

If you have passed the drug test and first interview , you are probably going to get the job. We never send anyone in for a drug test who we are not going to hire. Be honest and yourself. Ask questions about the job, duties, etc. Your in. good luck, Walgreens is a good company with lots of oppertunity for advancement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

John

89 months ago

Joe said:
If you have passed the drug test and first interview , you are probably going to get the job. We never send anyone in for a drug test who we are not going to hire. Be honest and yourself. Ask questions about the job, duties, etc. Your in. good luck, Walgreens is a good company with lots of oppertunity for advancement.

Thanks for the reply,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Marc in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

89 months ago

I have applied on line a week ago for management training position. I have over 15 years retail management . How do I get into the first interview? Who reviews on line applications? Store Managers or District Managers.Any hints to help me get in to this company?
Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

John

89 months ago

I did the same thing, applied online, then 2 days later there was a job fair and Walgreens was there, so that was how I got my foot in the door, or you can go to the nearest store and talk to the store manager and expalin to him you applied online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Sally in Fair Oaks, California

88 months ago

I also applied for walgreens, online and then went in for an interview after the interview the manager told me that i needed to take the skill test so I did and it was real easy after i was done the manager told me that he would call me and that he had other people to interview does this mean i didnt get the job? Its been two days and havent received a call. Do they tell you to take a drug test right after the interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

gretcha in Harmans, Maryland

88 months ago

well, they told me to get the drug test the same day of my interview but i don't know if its that way with everyone because he looked like he was really desperate for a bi-lingual employee and i was, and i know that while he was doing my interview another person came for an interview too and he still gave me the paper work to go get the test. so i don't know, but that's my case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

ok thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Butch in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

I worked for this company for 7 years...LOts of hours and lots of nights. Then 6 months ago I fell...I was a good employee always requested overtime etc. But when I got hurt they turned their back on me. They FIRED me after 3 months.

So watch yourself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Butch in Houston, Texas

88 months ago

You will never get hired if you have a felony or misdemeanor..They do extensive checks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I dont have any felonys or misdemeanors. I wanna know how long it takes for them to call you and tell you if you got the job? Does anyone know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

LB of Houston in La Porte, Texas

88 months ago

Butch in Houston, Texas said: I worked for this company for 7 years...LOts of hours and lots of nights. Then 6 months ago I fell...I was a good employee always requested overtime etc. But when I got hurt they turned their back on me. They FIRED me after 3 months.

So watch yourself

I have a friend who has worked for Walgreens for 10 years. Isn't there any type of senority regarding working nights. Also, is there any kind of employee handbook?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

PR IN MO in Saint Louis, Missouri

88 months ago

WORKED IN MO. AND WAS TOLD A VERY GOOD WORKER AND A FUN EMPLOYEE. I WAS 16. I WAS THERE FOR THEM WHENEVER THEY CALLED ME IN ON MY DAYS OFF. I HAD AN AUTO ACCIDENT AND THEN SURGERY I WAS SCHD TO WORK THE NEXT DAY AFTER THE BREAST SURG.I CALLED IN AND TOLD THEM I HATED TO QUIT BUT COULD NOT WORK FOR AWILE. SINCE I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO GIVE TWO WKS NOTICE THEY TOLD ME I COULD NEVER WORK FOR ANY WALGREENS AGAIN. THIS ISN'T RIGHT. I LOVED MY JOB AND WORKED HARD FOR THEM. I HAD MY CAR TOTALED AFTER ALL THIS. I AM DOING BETTER AND HAVE A CAR. I WENT TO 2 WALGREENS IN THE AREA TO SEE IF I COULD GET HIRED AND THEY SAID NO. I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT RIGHT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Walgreen's MGT

87 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Walgreens? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Go online at www.walgreens.com and click on the 'Career' line. Or, go into any Walgreens and ask an assistant (MGT) manager or store manager to use their computer to apply online.

The store manager or EXA (manager level above MGT) will call you for a brief interview. Your chances of being hired in extremely high because of high turnover rates. You will be asked to take a drug screen (urinanalysis) the following day at a local clinic.

Your hours will vary depending upon the store's needs. You will also be working Checkouts, the Floor (stocking) or the Photo Center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

buster beefcurtains in Joplin, Missouri

87 months ago

gretcha in Baltimore, Maryland said: i went to the interview, i dont know how i did in the assestment but they made me go get a drug test...does that means that i got in?

I don't know. What does that means? maybe dat means yous gots ta lay downs yo pipe for a minute? good luck on your assestment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Glad I'm out in Columbus, Nebraska

87 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Walgreens? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Look out if you want to work at Walgreens in Columbus, NE. They're employees are EXTREMELY rude and the manager (Mr. K) is a freak. Employees come and go like a revolving door. If you want hours you won't get them, but yet they hire more and won't give you the hours. It's not just me - ask any of the 25 people that have come and gone. Would not give them your time - they're reputation speaks for themselves. The pharmacy is probably the "worst" department to be in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Brighton, Michigan

87 months ago

Glad I'm out in Columbus, Nebraska said: Look out if you want to work at Walgreens in Columbus, NE. They're employees are EXTREMELY rude and the manager (Mr. K) is a freak. Employees come and go like a revolving door. If you want hours you won't get them, but yet they hire more and won't give you the hours. It's not just me - ask any of the 25 people that have come and gone. Would not give them your time - they're reputation speaks for themselves. The pharmacy is probably the "worst" department to be in.

OMG i used to work there too! (not sure why my thing says i`m from somewhere else...who are you exactly? lol i worked there for almost 2 years and saw more people go throught that company they i`ve seen living in schuyler! i would work there if you paid me $20 a minute! thats how horrible it is! and i too was in the pharmacy and that is the most horrble department in that store! corprate needs to take a better look at their managers and the way things are run. you may be full time but dont be surprised if your only getting 15 hours a week...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Sarlyn in Upland, California

87 months ago

WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR PHARMACY TECHS. at WALGREENS?

Are there any Brand/Generic questions? or therapeutic effect questions?

Please tell me the most common question they might probably ask me. Thanks, I appreciate it a lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Gard in Raleigh, North Carolina

87 months ago

Sarlyn in Upland, California said: WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR PHARMACY TECHS. at WALGREENS?

Are there any Brand/Generic questions? or therapeutic effect questions?

Please tell me the most common question they might probably ask me. Thanks, I appreciate it a lot.

Depends on the manager. Some ask questions about pharmacy, others ask none at all. There is no standard for it. Most of what they want to know about your pharmacy skills is done through a skills assesment before they actually decide to interview you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Walgreen's MGT

87 months ago

For those of you want to enter the MGT position, you have a better chance if they recruit you through your college. There is a worker at my store who has over 26 years of retailing experience including management. He is still a clerk while a newly graduated 23 year old with NO business experience is now his supervisor.

It is a sad tale about Walgreens. They take advantage of the more experienced people and take new graduates over someone with experience.

I understand with the job market the way it is, a job is a job but if you see your career is going nowhere, find another job because Walgreens will definitely take advantage of you if they know you cannot find a job in your career. Cheap labor means the store manager can earn more year end bonuses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Idatude Merdelus in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

87 months ago

I find a job at walgreens

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

kirko in Nashville, Tennessee

87 months ago

Hi I know that Walgreens requires a drug test. Do you know whether they use the same test panel as DOT? Or do they use something else? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Maggie in Glendale Heights, Illinois

87 months ago

Interviewed for a design job second week of April..(had a good interview). Was told I would be informed withing the month for a possible call back. A month went by...was informed when contacting their office that they were still making decisions for call backs (and would hear either way). Now it is over two months since my interview (still no word.) My interviewing has picked up but would love to have a second chance with Walgreens. Does it truly take this long for a large corporation to make a decision for their positions? ....and that they post their positions for ever?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

tony a anglin in Mattoon, Illinois

87 months ago

iam gust want to get ajob for a januter so i can suport my 4 month old son i reall nead a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Julie WIGFALL in Augusta, Georgia

87 months ago

I am interested in the position that is available. you can contact me at (706)737-0019.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Walgreen's MGT

87 months ago

For those of you who wish to work for Walgreen's, go directly to the store where you wish to work. Ask for the store manager or EXA manager. They will invite you to apply online and you will have a short interview within a few days.

If you are a pharmacy major, you can apply for an internship as well.

Photo, cashier and Cosmetics clerks can earn promotional money (PM) by suggestive selling certain products during the month. If you are good at suggestive selling, you can earn a very nice PM at every paycheck. Our lead photo clerk received $400 last month in promotional money.

For floor people, be prepared to work hard especially when merchandise arrives (also called truck day). You also mut be able to juggle many duties at once such as being a back up to the cashier, running to the stockroom to check on merchandise to cleaning the restrooms when customers make a mess in there.

One final bit of advice, once you get into Walgreens, you are expected to greet each and every customer within a few feet of you. As an example, if you see someone looking for something, you must ask, "Can I help you find something?" When a customer enters the store, you should greet them with, "Good morning" and when they leave, "Have a nice day".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Brandie Jackson in Tuscumbia, Alabama

86 months ago

i have good customer cervice.yes i can take a drug test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

PurdueGirl in Hillsboro, Missouri

86 months ago

Hi. I know that Walgreens checks your background for felony and misdemeanors, but do they check for city ordinance violations? I know that when other retailers have run background checks on me they do not see city ordinance violations.

Also. Does anyone work at headquarters in the Chicago area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Al in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

86 months ago

sam in Phoenix, Arizona said: I have worked at walgreens for awhile now. When I first interviewed i had told them I would like to become a manager eventually. I have 20 years management experience. I have been patient and put up with lazy co-workers and little punks telling me what to do, I know walgreens is a good company but they really need to evaluate some of thier managers or employees better. I will not put walgreens down but the management and employees at the store I work at are very incompetent of maintaining the walgreens image.

I agree. I just started working at Walgreens. I think it's a pretty good place to work, however, I think that there are some people who are hurting Walgreens image. I think that if you are dedicated to a job Walgreens is a good fit, but if you couldnt care less about your job, dont choose Walgreens please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Kingsville, Missouri

86 months ago

Al in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan said: I agree. I just started working at Walgreens. I think it's a pretty good place to work, however, I think that there are some people who are hurting Walgreens image. I think that if you are dedicated to a job Walgreens is a good fit, but if you couldnt care less about your job, dont choose Walgreens please.

Hi!
I am interviewing with Walgreens as Management Trainee.
Done my first interview with the store manager last week also the assessment quiz.
Right now, waiting and hoping for a call back. I forgot to ask the manager the hiring process.
Kindly tell me the hiring process with Walgreens from first interview to job offer. I will appreciate it! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John

86 months ago

After you pass the quiz, they set up a drug test for you, that is usually done right away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Walgreen's MGT

86 months ago

For those who are hard working, you will note the management will take advantage of that fact. As an example, if you rarely call in sick, you will most likely work the 3pm-11pm shift because that is the shift people call in sick the most.

Also, Walgreens needs people who are willing to work the graveyard shift. The graveyard shift is not exactly exciting. You will see drunks asking if you sell beer or alcohol. Some Walgreens stores do not sell alcohol. And you find a lot of weird people shopping.

If you get hired, you must take several tutorials on drugs such as Pseudoephedrine. This is the drug that people make Methamphetamines with. This medication is regulated and sales are limited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rhonda ard in Newborn, Georgia

86 months ago

a new walgreens is opening in barnesville, ga. i am interested in working there. how do i go about this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

David

86 months ago

I interviewed for a management trainee position this morning at 10:00, took the assessment test, and had a job offer by noon. I am looking forward to starting next Wednesday!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Leopold, Missouri

86 months ago

Anyone kind enough to share what to expect first day or first week of work as MGT?
I am excited, just hired this week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John

86 months ago

Alot of crash training, one thing they are very big on is cash counts, they want at least 2 a day, they will then show you the register, how to refund items, exchange items, how to count down registers, how to count down the safe, how to do their paper work. Any questions feel free to e-mail me.
John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Windlins in Cape Coral, Florida

86 months ago

PR IN MO in Saint Louis, Missouri said: WORKED IN MO. AND WAS TOLD A VERY GOOD WORKER AND A FUN EMPLOYEE. I WAS 16. I WAS THERE FOR THEM WHENEVER THEY CALLED ME IN ON MY DAYS OFF. I HAD AN AUTO ACCIDENT AND THEN SURGERY I WAS SCHD TO WORK THE NEXT DAY AFTER THE BREAST SURG.I CALLED IN AND TOLD THEM I HATED TO QUIT BUT COULD NOT WORK FOR AWILE. SINCE I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO GIVE TWO WKS NOTICE THEY TOLD ME I COULD NEVER WORK FOR ANY WALGREENS AGAIN. THIS ISN'T RIGHT. I LOVED MY JOB AND WORKED HARD FOR THEM. I HAD MY CAR TOTALED AFTER ALL THIS. I AM DOING BETTER AND HAVE A CAR. I WENT TO 2 WALGREENS IN THE AREA TO SEE IF I COULD GET HIRED AND THEY SAID NO. I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT RIGHT.

Hi, Sorry to hear about that. I am currently working in Walgreens as an Business Management Intern. I think Walgreens is a Equal Opportunity Employer. They respect their employees and everyone who works in Walgreens. My mentor (Store manager) is always accomidate employees needs. If there's an employee like you, he would tell you go ahead to take the days off and you can always come back after you recover from injuries. Also, he would ask you how you feel.....etc.

The store manager did that do you is absolutely not right. He/She violates Walgreens Policy and let Walgreens exposes to Legal concerns. He/She will be fired if you report this inccident to the upper management. Also, Walgreens has open door policy, you can always reach to anyone in the Top management level.

I hope this will help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Old Guy in Rockford, Illinois

86 months ago

I was hired for Walgreens Help Center. When equipment in the store breaks we are notified and call back. Then we walk employees through the process of fixing it on site.

To answer your question on the drug test, they do. I was told to take a urine test within 48 hours of the phone call saying you are hired if you pass the drug test. They are looking for illegal drugs. So just go without your treats for a month or so and drink lots of water to help clean your system. If you are truly worried get a at home drug test and make sure you pass that ahead of time. They sell them at Walgreens!

Now that I am hired at Walgreens and going through training let me just say that the corporate people are comepletly brain washed. I can say after just a few days of training that I will never express any opinion about Walgreens other than how great it is to be working there. Walgreens walks on water! (NOT!) It is so fake and such lip service. They have preached and preached how Walgreens is a family and takes care of the employee. They also mention that the highest turnover rate of employees is in the Help Center. I was trained with high school graduates and they refer to me as the "Old Guy". I am in my early forties and have to say so far I have only met 5 people older than me. So if you are looking for a young lady to hook up with or a man toy to pay for your kids this is the place.

I find it humorous how quickly the other employees are assimilated into the collective. People who ask questions or express a thought are chastized. If you are willing to work at a local Walgreens store I would tell you to consider all options. I made a ton of cash working 3-11 and 6-2 at a gas station. I was hired on the spot and in a Assistant Manager position with raises in 3 months. All I did was show up to work and pound the keys on a cash register. You could have all the overtime you wanted. I made a fortune but worked 60 hours and more. It paid for the house and car though. So consider.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Healani in Zalma, Missouri

86 months ago

Does Walgreens offers a classroom training after you hired as MGT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sarlyn Perez in Upland, California

85 months ago

I've been through all this.. the application online, then the assessment, then the interview, but the most important thing is to show them that you are eager to get the job: always call and inform the status of your application.

Monday, I had my drug test.. and now, I'm just waiting for them
to call me back for my training. I don't know how long I have to wait though? ...reply please if you know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Walgreen's MGT

85 months ago

When you are hired as a Walgreen MGT, you will be sent to a training store. This store is usually managed by one of their top store managers. Under his or her guidance, you will learn hands on about the store, the computer system (AS400) and Walgreen's StoreNet.

You will then be assigned to a department such as Housewares, Pets and Candles. It will be your responsibility to make sure sure bay (your stockroom area assigned to you) is clean and merchandise is brought down to the floor. A day before ordering you will do a Scan Out. You will scan items with ZERO on hand and then try to find this item in the stockroom. If none are available an order will be submitted.

As for customer service, you will also have to keep an eye on customers. If you see a customer within 6 feet of you, you must say, "Hello may I help you with anything?" Customers must be acknowledged.

Once your drug test is completed, your store manager will call you telling you when to report to the store. Usually this is within 2-3 days after you submit your drug test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ted in Louisville, Kentucky

85 months ago

does walgreens have a probationary period for new employees? can they let you go for any reason within 90 days?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Walgreen's MGT

85 months ago

You would have screw up big time to get fired. Taking too many sick days, coming in late constantly or not doing you work are reasons most Walgreens employees are fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessi in Dublin, Ohio

85 months ago

It depends. I walked in and got hired as a sales clerk on Monday. Took a drug test and was working by Friday.

However, after completing college and interviewing for assistant manager, they never called back. Now I had watched my managers and learned as much as I could about their jobs, and I was highly competent in all areas of store except pharmacy, including resets/1506/clearances.

So I would say, if you're trying to get in as asst. manager or higher, don't apply from within. I've never seen them hire asst. managers from within, because they already know your weaknesses. Take your Walgreens experiences and apply for asst. manager with CVS... you'll probably have a better chance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.