What's the company culture at Walt Disney?

Comments (6)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Walt Disney?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Walt Disney?

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

95 months ago

Actually the entertainment business is exempt in a way from common discrimination laws if the job involves your appearance to the customers (the audience). It is perfectly legal to reject an applicant (as example) if the role to be played is a very old man and you are a very young woman. Conversely, it is legitimate to reject a black man for the role of Abraham Lincoln, etc.

I too have heard that Disney employees are considered "always on stage" as it were. Some colleagues who worked on computers for Disney World in Florida told me the person who (for example) appears in the Goofy costume is not allowed to use his own voice as soon as he dons the costume even if below level and among only Disney employees.

This same thing occurs in other entertainment jobs. The person who did the Bart Simpson voice happened to be a female yet she was not allowed to speak in that voice except when being recorded for the show.

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

95 months ago

Me, just me in Dallas, Texas said: [Quote]Well, I\'ve never seen a black Cinderella. Have you?

Nope but the character "Cinderella" was not a black girl. She could have been, just as Mickey Mouse could have been a white mouse. It is just the way it was written. It isn't racist.

You can't change history. You can eliminate some things like not showing cartoons of "Little Black Sambo" or the "Tar Baby" or "Uncle Remus" if they offend people, but you can't expect that the entertainment business is going to revamp all it's stories to fit a politically correct idea.

As I remember the "Roadrunner" was purple for goodness sake. Cinderella is no different anymore than Snow White is. Likewise, you couldn't very well cast white actors in the major roles of "Roots" to play the characters of slaves.

What if you were a film producer and was doing a story about the life of Dr. King? Who would you choose to play the leading role? A child? A White man? A woman?

Black Former Floridian in Detroit, Michigan

94 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: Nope but the character "Cinderella" was not a black girl. She could have been, just as Mickey Mouse could have been a white mouse. It is just the way it was written. It isn't racist.

You can't change history. You can eliminate some things like not showing cartoons of "Little Black Sambo" or the "Tar Baby" or "Uncle Remus" if they offend people, but you can't expect that the entertainment business is going to revamp all it's stories to fit a politically correct idea.

As I remember the "Roadrunner" was purple for goodness sake. Cinderella is no different anymore than Snow White is. Likewise, you couldn't very well cast white actors in the major roles of "Roots" to play the characters of slaves.

What if you were a film producer and was doing a story about the life of Dr. King? Who would you choose to play the leading role? A child? A White man? A woman?

Cleopatra was not white either but she was cast as a white woman don't just blindly justify racism we all know what time it is especially in Florida where black people were told the voting polls were closed and the roads were blocked by the county sheriff so they could not vote so don't even go there buddy. Whites have been cast in many films that did not call for whites. You cast whites to play slaves in Moses? THe Bible and other films in Africa? DUH!!!!!!! Every McDOnalds commercial has whites rapping or using black slang so give it a rest.

Black Former Floridian in Detroit, Michigan

94 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: Nope but the character "Cinderella" was not a black girl. She could have been, just as Mickey Mouse could have been a white mouse. It is just the way it was written. It isn't racist.

Yes, there was a Black Cinderella Brandy the R & B Singer played the role of Cinderella a few years back for Disney so they are not as racist as you think.

haley bopp in Phoenix, Arizona

89 months ago

hey, my good friend just got promoted to manager (after six years on the front lines) and he is ugly, and pushing 30! so ugly peeps, it can happen!

i miss disney, working there was really fun, but i didnt want to put in six years making minimum wage with no benefits to get a manager job, i didnt go to college to make sure seat belts were fastened and ask "how many in your party? Line 3!!!"

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.