What's the company culture at Waste Management?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Waste Management?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Waste Management?

Reply - Report abuse

Name Withheld in Powder Springs, Georgia

89 months ago

One thing good about Friday is jeans day. Folks do not get together for happy hour on Fridays. Management staff does not fratinize with the non-managers.

A typical day in the life of an employee is stress, stress, stress. They keep piling on the work, don't like when you ask for time off, work you to death and treat you as a number, not as a person. From the minute you get in to the minute you leave you are working. It is a very unhappy and unpleasant place to work. Do yourself a big favor, don't even apply there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Poughkeepsie, New York

88 months ago

Name Withheld in Powder Springs, Georgia said: One thing good about Friday is jeans day. Folks do not get together for happy hour on Fridays. Management staff does not fratinize with the non-managers.

A typical day in the life of an employee is stress, stress, stress. They keep piling on the work, don't like when you ask for time off, work you to death and treat you as a number, not as a person. From the minute you get in to the minute you leave you are working. It is a very unhappy and unpleasant place to work. Do yourself a big favor, don't even apply there!

Realize you are there to work, what;s woron giwh expecting people to work? I would not hire you and I have the power, and I do not work for this company, you are lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Advance, North Carolina

88 months ago

Name Withheld in Powder Springs, Georgia said: One thing good about Friday is jeans day. Folks do not get together for happy hour on Fridays. Management staff does not fratinize with the non-managers.

Amen brother I applied for a mechanic position that evidently didn't even exist then I get told the only thing they do is change light bulbs and hydraulic lines(thats not mechanic work)!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Advance, North Carolina

88 months ago

CJ in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Realize you are there to work, what;s woron giwh expecting people to work? I would not hire you and I have the power, and I do not work for this company, you are lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please learn how to spell then we can all READ WHAT YOU THOUGHT!Otherwise keep your fingers off the key board!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ronda in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

The culture at Waste Management totally depends on what market area you are working for. Please note that each WM facility is it's own entity and does not necessarily represent the entire face of the company.
I would somewhat agree that there is much work being put on WM employees, however this company is in a midst of change both internally and externally. Therefore, this shift can somewhat skew the overall culture perception.
I would not say WM is a bad company to work for. It has it's good and bad but so does every company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Name Withheld in Austell, GA in Marietta, Georgia

87 months ago

This company is a sweatshop! They don't pay well and they work you to death. The turnover is tremendous throughout the entire company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Grammarian in Mobile, Alabama

87 months ago

CJ in Poughkeepsie, New York said: Realize you are there to work, what;s woron giwh expecting people to work? I would not hire you and I have the power, and I do not work for this company, you are lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CJ claims to have the power to hire someone, yet he or she does not have the power to utilize the written English language. Thankfully, CJ states that he or she does not work for Waste Management. I would seriously reconsider doing business with any company that would hire someone like CJ into a decision-making position.

CJ has the audacity to call others lazy, but CJ was evidently too lazy to pay attention during English class each year he or she should have been in school. The irony is absurd!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Mocksville, North Carolina

87 months ago

Grammarian in Mobile, Alabama said: CJ claims to have the power to hire someone, yet he or she does not have the power to utilize the written English language. Thankfully, CJ states that he or she does not work for Waste Management. I would seriously reconsider doing business with any company that would hire someone like CJ into a decision-making position.

CJ has the audacity to call others lazy, but CJ was evidently too lazy to pay attention during English class each year he or she should have been in school. The irony is absurd!

Thank you!I was afraid that I was the only one who noticed this CJ did not hit spell check!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JJ in Midwest

87 months ago

Dear Dipstick:
You can have work & happy workers...but it take enlightened managers who give a sh_ _, which you obviously DON'T !!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

brugandy40yarder rolloff in California

86 months ago

Ronda in Chicago, Illinois said: ..., however this company is in a midst of change both internally and externally.

Yes and it has been changing internally and externally for years and years. It never settles down, lay offs, management changes, restructuring,downsizing of departments,mergers of job functions. This all adds to the constant turmoil for employess and never knowing when and if and when the shoe might drop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Agent One in Lambertville, Michigan

84 months ago

what;s/what's woron/wrong giwh/with asking people to spell properly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Ronda in Chicago, Illinois said: however this company is in a midst of change both internally and externally. Therefore, this shift can somewhat skew the overall culture perception.

Never ending *changes*, restructure, layoffs, new computer systems, more restructuring, division restucture, regional restructure,this has been going on for 20 years and it never stops. Therefore one can never feel secure, just always waiting for the shoe to drop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

gitrdun in carribean, Virgin Islands

78 months ago

Agent One in Lambertville, Michigan said: what;s/what's woron/wrong giwh/with asking people to spell properly?

aint nuthin wrong with it ,BUT they would have to be able to spell in order to read what you wrote to them other wise its wasted time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Frank Askins

76 months ago

I'm a driver in residential in Jackson Mississippi. Bosses do get a guarantee of ten percent bonus each year up to one hundred percent of their salary if they can cut cost and push production. A lot of our pay is going into management's pockets. We have lost our day rate and now are paid hourly which is really affecting all the drivers. Our special time, for helping each other has been taken away also. We also have only one helper now on the back of the garbage trucks and about the same amount of projected hours to finish a route. We lose money if we don't reach that projected time and actually have to work two hours extra just to break even. If we go over the projected time by even a minute. This wouldn't be the end of the world but the routes are humongous, some over two thousand homes for one worker. Workers are dropping left and right, all the company hoppers are almost gone and everyone is new. They cramp up and I've actually had as many as four in one day be put on my truck to finish a route. Back and forth to the base and wait until someone new can be located, many 10:00 nights starting at 6:30 AM. You have to stand outside each morning and "find someone" to work. A lot of game playing and it's hard to get someone on your truck especially with the size of the routes. Management leaves it up to the drivers to find helpers, now to get out and help all the time which two people used to do most of that. We're now taking a lot of junk from the overworked hoppers, vulgarity to us and the customers. I guess after the contracts don't get renewed but the municipalities someone will get the message. A neighboring waste company Allied does the same thing and their Operations Manager, Service Manager and General Manager got over one hundred thousand bonus last year. The new manager constantly is trying to get more and more. Some drivers clear about three hundred a week now and are Class A Drivers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jake Jake

76 months ago

Kim Jong-il treats his people better then waste management treats is employees!!! They try Brain washing you every day, including leaving messages on your answering machine. And if you don't buy it you’re fired. Not to mention most of there trucks run illegal and then love you work you way over 60 hours a week. OH and if your fired they tell everyone how horrible of a person you are and if you think for your self your next! Management must make all descion for you or your wrote up or fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

Agent One in Lambertville, Michigan

76 months ago

The "Brain wash terrible actor training videos" are a riot!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

ves driver in Detroit, Michigan

73 months ago

I know a few guys I work with that used to wrk for WM. This industry not only recycles trash, but it also recycles it's employees. I have heard horror stories about WM. No security, over-worked employees, dangerous equipment and more. Funny thing is, there are many companies like this. I guess it's all perspective. I am glad I found this survey. I have a friend that works at Allied and we talked about how drivers and employees need a place to vent, congregate, and just talk trash. I am starting a non-profit site called TrashTrucker.com for all the recycled drivers and employees can keep in touch with the friends they have left behind at other companies. Hope this doesn't break rules of this site. But we need a place to kick back and discuss these issues. Thanks for reading and providing a place for us to vent!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Allis Campbell in Bradenton, Florida

73 months ago

I am interested in the sales culture at WM Inc. What is the compensation like? For an account manager, what is a realistic base salary when coming into the company? Tell me about the sales environment? Is it a great place to work and what are the benefits like? etc. Can anyone provide me any insight?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

no regrets on leaving in Waukesha, Wisconsin

61 months ago

Worst place I ever worked at----terrible computer system and expect you to do the impossible.--don't apply- stay away!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Pinehurst, North Carolina

60 months ago

I second that. Stay away!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kat23 in Port Charlotte, Florida

54 months ago

Waste Management is the place to work if you like to be used, lied to and treated like crap. My husband has been working there for over 9 months. If you like to work 14-16 hour days and make less and less per hour with every hour you work then this would be the job for you. He was started out at $14 per hour during the training - er bull crap lie session. They preach to their employees safety, wellness, family. Ha. You get to work at 4:30 a.m. and work until 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. most every night. You MUST deduct a half hour for lunch which most cannot take because it would just have them out a half hour longer so you are essentially giving the company 2 1/2 hours of free help each week. The "required" paperwork you must fill out on your truck and route each night is required to be done off the clock - so add another 15 min to 1/2 hour on to your unpaid time. You are paid day rate and tonnage. Yes, if you bust your butt you can make money, but most days the trucks break down, you cannot get to the landfill to dump so your weight goes unrecorded and so your tonnage goes right down the crapper. Last week hubby made - gross mind you - $700 for a 62 hour week - that is 62 hours on the clock - now add in your half hour lunch and paper work and you can add another 5 hours to that. How can they preach safety when they expect their drivers to be out for 14-16 hours a day. They want you to get a full 8 hours of sleep a night. Do the math - 1/2 hour to get to and from work each way, really if you are on the clock for 16 hours it means you have been there for 17, so now you are up to 18 hours minimum away from home. Gee there are only 24 hours in a day. Don't expect to spend time with your wife and kids, don't expect to help with anything around the house. By the time the weekend rolls around all you want to do is sleep. Management is a joke. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT APPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wasted Management in California

53 months ago

kat23 in Port Charlotte, Florida said: Waste Management is the place to work if you like to be used, lied to and treated like crap. My husband has been working there for over 9 months. If you like to work 14-16 hour days and make less and less per hour with every hour you work then this would be the job for you.

In years past WM drivers used to belong to the Chauffeurs Teamsters union. But I know here when the merger with USA Waste took place the drivers voted the unions out. I can't imagine these abuses taking place if the drivers still had the Union to grieve to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Former Manager in Oakland, California

52 months ago

WM's culture is very resistant to improvement. When you get there, you will notice that there have been plenty of people that have been there a very very long time. New people and new ideas do not migrate into the company. You will find that most of the managers have moved up in the company. While the practice of hiring from within is a good thing, new ideas and processes from outside the company do not make it into the company.

Expect to work long hours. As a salaried manager, expect 10-12 hour days. Expect to work 1-2 hours overtime every day to tend to emergencies. Do not question why you are spending 2 hours of your time trying to find an alternate way to save $20. Is that really how much your free overtime is worth. WM is great at making you feel cheap. The company also has a "cheapskate" attitude on all things. They would rather save $20 on a $100 valve and ask you to replace it over and over again than to spend $120 and fix it once and for all. Like I said, your overtime is not worth anything to the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

trashman9696 in Bloomington, California

43 months ago

I currently work for wm and let me tell you we have safety meetings everday . Then you walk out the door and everything changes.THe meetings are for them to excuse themselves as a company if something happens like an accident.They can go back and say he was given a meeting about this and its his fault! You tell them that a truck is not in condition to leave the yard and they get mad! They tell you such and such driver took it why cant you? Second if the truck breaks down they blame you for it. Even a damn flat tire !!Right now drivers are being followed to see if they are slacking off . Four drivers just got suspended last week .Most of them are hard workers and look what happened . That is making drivers nervous. They are making up any excuse to fire you . The pay is good and the benefits. But wm is always finding ways to save a buck.People might say how come you dont look for something else? Because there arent any good jobs out there. Unemployment is high right now!!Dont believe the undercover boss crap!!The guy in the movie isnt working for wm either he got canned too!! Wm made it seem very warm and understanding but they did it because they are losing too many city contracts!!SO hopefully i wont be next on the unemployment line like my other coworkers!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

trashman9696 in Bloomington, California said: I currently work for wm and let me tell you we have safety meetings everday . Then you walk out the door and everything changes.THe meetings are for them to excuse themselves as a company if something happens like an accident.They can go back and say he was given a meeting about this and its his fault! You tell them that a truck is not in condition to leave the yard and they get mad! They tell you such and such driver took it why cant you? Second if the truck breaks down they blame you for it. Even a damn flat tire !!Right now drivers are being followed to see if they are slacking off . Four drivers just got suspended last week .Most of them are hard workers and look what happened . That is making drivers nervous. They are making up any excuse to fire you . The pay is good and the benefits. But wm is always finding ways to save a buck.People might say how come you dont look for something else? Because there arent any good jobs out there. Unemployment is high right now!!Dont believe the undercover boss crap!!The guy in the movie isnt working for wm either he got canned too!! Wm made it seem very warm and understanding but they did it because they are losing too many city contracts!!SO hopefully i wont be next on the unemployment line like my other coworkers!!!

Your story sounds very typical. Years ago WM used to be a superb company until they sold their sould to Wall Street and starting hiring "executives" who coudl give a damn about the waste industry whereas the old timers used to. they are constantly laying off people or elimanting positions to make numbers look good for a while, then recreate the same positions and rehire people at lower wages. They got too big for their britches and have long ago just become a corporate monster---with a burn 'um and turn 'um attitude towards employees and ...customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gandalf in Houston, Texas

35 months ago

Obviously, you've never been a manager nor worked at a successful company. The employees are the heart of the business. Obviously, you have very dysfunctional parents and never have worked on your issues. That's sad - but very common.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

withheld in Madisonville, Tennessee

20 months ago

trashman9696 in Bloomington, California said: I currently work for wm and let me tell you we have safety meetings everday . Then you walk out the door and everything changes.THe meetings are for them to excuse themselves as a company if something happens like an accident.They can go back and say he was given a meeting about this and its his fault! You tell them that a truck is not in condition to leave the yard and they get mad! They tell you such and such driver took it why cant you? Second if the truck breaks down they blame you for it. Even a damn flat tire !!Right now drivers are being followed to see if they are slacking off . Four drivers just got suspended last week .Most of them are hard workers and look what happened . That is making drivers nervous. They are making up any excuse to fire you . The pay is good and the benefits. But wm is always finding ways to save a buck.People might say how come you dont look for something else? Because there arent any good jobs out there. Unemployment is high right now!!Dont believe the undercover boss crap!!The guy in the movie isnt working for wm either he got canned too!! Wm made it seem very warm and understanding but they did it because they are losing too many city contracts !!SO hopefully i wont be next on the unemployment line like my other coworkers!!!

I also work for WM they do preach safty then get upset when you won't drive a truck because it isn't safe (PER DOT REGULATIONS) So often WM seems like a set up for failur. Do I do what I was tought in Florida or conform to their way at the distric. It is pretty sorry when a compeny the size of WM will not maintain the trucks that got them started then they put it on the new employees to rat out improper behavior. Taking a chance on getting fired because they realy don't want to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

MBA Student in Vancouver, Washington

18 months ago

I was browsing sources of Organizational Behavior at Waste Management, Inc. and found this blog. Although the treatment of line workers is rarely industry-specific, (meaning almost all line workers experience similar treatment as noted above in the previous posts), it is the responsibility of the employee to take advantage of the tools provided upon entering into employment. That said, while in another search I came across a 2010 Code of Conduct from WMI. Within this code is a signed letter from the President/CEO of WMI, describing the company goal to adhere to respect and ethical behavior to everyone...the employees responsibility to maintain those goals...speak up and do the right thing. Also within this Code is contact information for what is referred to as People Department - also in the code it expresses the importance of reporting in writing - there is also contact information for Business Ethics and Compliance, Health and Safety, The Integrity Help Line, etc. Before you make any calls, it is advised that you are prepared - make sure you have correct names and titles, use facts not opinions, be able to explain the situation with clarity and neutral emotion. This behavior is also referred to as holding supervisors and management accountable for their actions/decisions. You are also accountable for making sure the Code is upheld - if you are provided tools, and really care about the company goals, take this post into consideration. Find your Code of Conduct, if it has all the same material as the one I found, then those are your tools. Take your time, and make your decisions wisely. A written report (account) with appropriate names, locations, equipment, dates, times, and situations is more valuable than an emotional outburst - and much more credible. Good Luck! Remember, employees are the number one asset to every organization - be heard; work toward improving the culture of the Line Worker or put organized labor back into force - unions had a voice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Knoxville, Tennessee

15 months ago

Is WM veteran-friendly as claimed? Is it a great place for veterans to work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rubi in Sanbornville, New Hampshire

13 months ago

What happens when you get fired from wm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

20 year WM Driver in seattle, Washington

13 months ago

Rubi in Sanbornville, New Hampshire said: What happens when you get fired from wm

Some go to work for Republic the next day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

MBA Student in Vancouver, Washington said: I was browsing sources of Organizational Behavior at Waste Management, Inc. and found this blog. Although the treatment of line workers is rarely industry-specific, (meaning almost all line workers experience similar treatment as noted above in the previous posts), it is the responsibility of the employee to take advantage of the tools provided upon entering into employment. That said, while in another search I came across a 2010 Code of Conduct from WMI. Within this code is a signed letter from the President/ CEO of WMI, describing the company goal to adhere to respect and ethical behavior to everyone...the employees responsibility to maintain those goals...speak up and do the right thing. Also within this Code is contact information for what is referred to as People Department - also in the code it expresses the importance of reporting in writing - there is also contact information for Business Ethics and Compliance , Health and Safety, The Integrity Help Line, etc.

Hey college boy..shut up. Until you work at the place your book knowledge is useless in the real world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Mount Olive, North Carolina

8 months ago

If you want the truth, then read what I have to say and ignore the rest of these articles which don't give you the specifics on how things work at WM. Waste Management used to be a good company, but as of the last 5 years, they have been soley fixated on making money. This means that you as a driver or worker are NOTHING! I am not joking. You will be work overtime every week. You have a camera in your truck that records everything you do. Many employees have been given days off with no pay for doing little to nothing wrong. EXAMPLES: One driver was scratching his back and given 3 days off with no pay. (distracted driving), another looked at his cell phone to see the time and got 3 days off (using a cell phone). A mechaning was locking a steering wheel when a truck needed to be towed due to the engine breaking down, the truck was undrivable, yet he got three days off for no seatbelt. Starting to get the picture yet? The minute you start working for WM you are a liability to them and they WILL treat you like you are incompetent, stupid, and inhuman. There is no where to go for issues with management either. You simply have to deal with the frustration of being treated this way. The trucks at WM are in horribly shape. Most all trucks have broken gauges, leaking hydrualics, faulty electronics, and poor brakes. If you're wondering why a large company like this would neglect problems like this, I'll tell you what they tell me, "It's not in the budget". When you write up the problems on your inspection reports, the mechanics will simply write "further work needed" or "operator error" and never fix it. Management at WM is terrible. They will act like your friend and tell you to hurry and get your job done. BUT, if you do anything wrong while you're trying to hurry you will get three days off. If you move to slow, you will be fired for poor productivity. If you're thinking about working here, I wouldn't. You will be out the door in one year either volintarily or by force.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Xan in Peoria, Arizona

7 months ago

The office environment is like a concentration camp. You cannot look or talk to others for business related purposes - it is frowned upon. The only help management forces you to have is between the supervisors and leads - who are never around when you need their assistance. Things change from minute to minute and every instruction is contradicted from one to the next. It is supposed to be business casual, but depending on the department and the designated supervisor - it is not always enforced. I see those very professional and sharp, while others are in sweats and house slippers. It is very diverse. The typical day in the life of an employee at Waste Management is EXTREMELY STRESSFUL. The entire company is fighting against one another depending on which department you work in. Sales Reps/Cust Service hate Setup Agents, Setup Agents hate Sales Reps & Billing, Billing hates Setup Agents and Management hates all lower level employees. I agree with the comment that they have poor management and leadership & do not properly train employees & expect so much out of them. They demand an unreasonable quota that work does not permit to be reached because the numbers are not there to do the work. There is a high turn over rate and if someone does not leave willing, they do fire left and right. There is an attendance policy that is in place that deducts .25 points if you are a single minute late, and once 7 points is reached in an annual period, termination is the next action. it is very stressful & hard and the customers get ripped off everyday from the paperwork that I process. :-( as of now, it is very hard to get another job somewhere else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ReleasetheKracken in Jersey City, New Jersey

13 days ago

Though I agree with some of what you say, being late 28 times is not ok? LOL I also know it is 9 points, not 7. With that said, along with the poor educations our country's system is pumping out nowadays, WM gets what it pays for. I was part of a study years ago that suggests that most cost losses are associated with CSR'S putting in the incorrect information when a customer calls, or sales putting in the wrong information, or set-up not double checking their work. All that incorrect information leads to problems for deliveries of equipment, service start up problems for drivers etc. It all rolls down hill. This causes stress on everyone, so the stress is caused internally. Some people are stressed about their job security because you may be the one who is always late and expects to get away with it, or one who doesn't do thier job and complains all the time. There has to be rules, and some people unfortunately don't like to follow them or feel they are above them. You see, I was on both sides of the fence, hourly and management. When I was hourly, hourly people caused me stress with their mistakes. I also have stress from hourly employees who think they are above everybody else. As a manager, stress can be caused by managers who turn there heads to the hourly employees or other managers not doing their job. You see we are a society where as an employee, we expect everything. There is no such thing as doing your time anymore. Young workers especially think they should get the good hours and perks wonder why they can't I have the day shift ahead of that 15yr employee, who mind you did there time! Today's world is a liberal and lazy society where people want to get paid for not working. It's a "What have you done for me lately World". Believe me, am I overworked, yes I am. Is my staff overworked? Yes they are. But it is up to the individual on how they need to manage themselves. It's called stress management. Honestly, it is what you make of it. From what I have seen

ReleasetheKracken in Jersey City, New Jersey

13 days ago

from both sides of the fence, the negative people are the ones who hate their jobs and that's in every company. Oh, and in most cases people fire themselves, I've never fired a person just because.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.