Wellpoint News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 60)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Wellpoint stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

aa in indiana

86 months ago

Wellpoint is getting greedy, they will survive and thrive, but soon the American people will catch on to this company. I've read about alot of layoffs and outsourcing to other countries, but the CEO make 12.9 million a year. I've heard the older generation talk about how good Athem Blue Cross Blue Shield use to be and now they are complaining about Wellpoint. I understand saving money, but not at the expense of sick people or Americans who need to provide for their families. You know, just last week the CEO was fired because of some unethical deal. I can't imagine what that would be. They are all unethical at the top and should all be fired. The motto is "Customer First" Yeah, I have a sick friend with cancer and a limb replacement. She definitely has not been placed first, the all mighty dollar has been placed first. I just want to ask that corporation " HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT " iT HAS TO BE SOMETHING STRONG TO KNOCK YOU OUT. I COULDN'T SLEEP KNOWING THAT PEOPLE'S LIVES ARE PLACED ON THE LINE OR DIE BECAUSE OF YOUR GREED. Former ceo Mr. Glascock I could use just a fraction of your money to help provide care for a free medical clinic that i volunteer in. To answer your question, they will fall someday. Americans will not tolerate this unethical behavior. Fire all the excuetives and get people in who can provide optimal care at a price people can afford. Does Larry Glascock(that
probably not the spelling of his name, but it fits, really need to make 12.9 million dollars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (120) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Cincinnati, Ohio

86 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

Layoff's are a way of life at this company. It used to be every six months. Now it's more frequent. If you're OK living in the shadow of the next impending RIF, this is a good company. Nice bonus plan. Generous time-off plans. But if stability is important, this is a bad fit. They will let you go, based on dollars, not ability. Oh but wait, they want to be an EMPLOYER of CHOICE....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (103) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Chicago, Illinois

86 months ago

One has to wonder why WP has so many underwriting openings. I think you can feel secure if you're working for one of the Blue companies. Any of the others (Lumenos, Unicare), though, is dicey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

What's going on? in Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

The WP location in Chicago is looking for an RVP, a Director, plus an underwriter or two. On top of that, the president of that unit recently announced that he was leaving. That's rather odd.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary

85 months ago

Wellpoint has destroyed the wonderful company that was once Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield. As a former employee of 9 years I can attest to it. I was fired for over extending a medical leave which I have documented medical records to prove. The stress conditions there are awful. It is like being chained to a chair for 8 hours a day. Using the restroom could count against us for our "stats" that we had to meet to maintain our job. Customer service for Wellpoint is a joke. With 100% of the calls being sent to Argentina now, the only calls that come into the call center are problem calls from Argentina. Problems they can't handle since they do not even understand the english language. Still, customer service reps are being fired, given written and verbal warnings because their average talk time to solve any issues must be under 6 minutes. It is my understanding that the people who call in are irate over the way their problems are being handled. Claim adjustments are now also being outsourced overseas. I agree with aa in Indiana, it is all greed. They no longer value their employees, how can they value their customers? As an employee, medical is no longer an excuse. Doctor appointments are denied and if you choose to go anyway, you get an unexcused absence against you. It's the same if you need to take a day off for a parent, child or spouse who is ill. The way the treat people is inhumane to me. I was fired, currently have no source of income, (they denied my unemployment saying I was absent or tardy while I have a Doctors excuse). I still feel that maybe it was a blessing. The stress at that job is beyond belief. People are hanging on to a thread, waiting for them to pull the jobs out from under them completely. I even fear that violence can occur when people are under so much stress. I can't understand for the life of me how our government is supposed to be the land of opportunity, but yet they let american companies tranfer all of our jobs overseas to save a buck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (122) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Madison, Wisconsin

85 months ago

I have always given our senior citizens the benefit of the doubt, but my experience as an employee had revealed that old people are thieving scoundrels, taking anything that isn't nailed down. I often had to deliver my own version of justice (when other staff members were not looking) in order to rectify the problems of theft in the facility. This place would probably be bearable if it wasn't for the residents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (93) Reply - Report abuse

Laid off in Westlake Village, California

84 months ago

I was recently laid off from WellPoint "Anthem" after 6 1/2 years. They claimed the positions were duplicates (due to the merger) but one day later they posted the exact same jobs (lesser titles and salary) in NY. Shocking behavior on the part of the executives and a lot of favoritism. They are shifting staff to the East Coast and have a firm belief that people in CA are stupid (discussed on various conference calls - was told to me by multiple executives). Because of their practices they are losing a lot of intellectual property and are likely have trouble preparing for the 2008 season. I agree with Mary above. The old WellPoint was a great company but Anthem is backward in terms of technology and "politically" driven. People just watch their backs and their wallets these days. It's a shame. I wouldn't suggest working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tomissi in Buenos Aires, Argentina

82 months ago

Mary said: With 100% of the calls being sent to Argentina now, the only calls that come into the call center are problem calls from Argentina. Problems they can't handle since they do not even understand the english language.

Hello everybody on this well point, i'd like to say, as an employee of Wellpoint in Argentina, that we don't receive here customer service calls, only provider's service, and most of us do understand the english language very good. Cheers from Buenos aires.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Former Employee Jim in Youngstown, Ohio

82 months ago

Mary came back to work from her sick leave. After her second day, she got a call on her cell phone while driving home, they fired her. And they never paid her for those 2 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fed up with Wellpoint Wellpoint

82 months ago

Tomissi in Buenos Aires, Argentina said:
Is that what you call what you do Provider Services.. Cheers to the USA.. USA...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary

82 months ago

Yes, I worked in provider services at Wellpoint. Its no offense to you in Argentina, its the COMPANY that is taking our jobs. The outsourcing in the USA is killing our middle class and making it impossible to make a decent living. Our economy is much different than it is in Argentina and I am sure you are paid pennies on the US dollar. The sad thing is, Wellpoint is looking for any excuse to fire an employee just to save a few pennies that cost them more in the long run. We have years and years of experience dealing with US claims, benefits, and US providers. The providers are also fed up with the way Wellpoint is doing business. The jobs being sent overseas belong in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary

82 months ago

Tomissi in Buenos Aires, Argentina said:

and what is the turnover rate on employee's in Argentina? I was in Provider inquiry in Youngstown. I have spoken to your reps in Argentina...cheers to you for your understanding of the english language, but you must be one of the few who do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary

82 months ago

Laid off in Westlake Village, California said: I was recently laid off from WellPoint "Anthem" after 6 1/2 years. They claimed the positions were duplicates (due to the merger) but one day later they posted the exact same jobs (lesser titles and salary) in NY. Shocking behavior on the part of the executives and a lot of favoritism. They are shifting staff to the East Coast and have a firm belief that people in CA are stupid (discussed on various conference calls - was told to me by multiple executives). Because of their practices they are losing a lot of intellectual property and are likely have trouble preparing for the 2008 season. I agree with Mary above. The old WellPoint was a great company but Anthem is backward in terms of technology and "politically" driven. People just watch their backs and their wallets these days. It's a shame. I wouldn't suggest working there.

I agree with you. While provider services in Youngstown is not hiring any reps to replace the ones they terminate or that leave on their own, IN and KY always seem to be hiring? They say they need to consolidate, why do they need to consolidate our jobs to overseas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No Reply - Report abuse

heather x-youngstown ANTHEM employee in bristolville, Ohio

82 months ago

I worked for the"WOMANS PRISION"for a very long drug out temp to hire position... when we FINALLY became ANTHEM employees the money was good but everything else was horrible! People would call in for benefits and they were always better then the ones offered to their OWN EMPLOYEES! Time off was a JOKE and there were a few people that were labled "TEAM LEADS" that were on a severe POWERTRIP but don't go to them for help because didn’t know how to do it or didn't want to be bothered...I have small children and was going through a divirce & got no support from the company when it came to getting my kids to school & daycare and to work ontime,if you were a minuate late you were expected to make up that one minuate at your lunch time and were only allowed 1 of these a week the one "TEAM LEAD" would stand by my desk like a prision guard with a check list marking down the time of my arrivial this too actually started after I had an extended illness & a car accident that required me to be off work.... all the Provider service reps work hard & to be chained to the phone all day long IS VERY STRESSFULL when the calls were dropping one in after another... but I left before the merger with WELLPOINT and I am so much happier now running my own office in at a different company...I haven't heard many good things about the place since I left...sent a bunch of trainers to these foreign countries to train for the USA jobs then eliminated their jobs after the training was complete. People that had been with the company for YEARS... dedicated people... they have let a lot of good people go for the dumbest reasons, somehow they're getting away with it..I am jusy so glad to be out of there & I would tell others to either hang it out there in the GHETTO of youngstown & get job retraining while collecting your unemployment or RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN...they DON'T care about you, your family,your well being!! Why do you think George& others bailed? They all got while the getting was good!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lillostgirl04 in Indianapolis, Indiana

82 months ago

If you've had more than one job in your life, you know that there are always unhappy people who make a lot of noise about being mistreated by their employer. Why should WellPoint be any different? The people who speak up in these forums are usually the ones who have a beef, wouldn't you say? They've been treated unfairly, in their opinion, so therefore the entire company is bad. They make a lot more noise than the people who are happy with their jobs.

Well, I DON'T have a beef. I am a happy, contented, WELL-PAID WellPoint employee. I love my job, and I think I work for a great company. The people I work with are all very dedicated, hard-working people. My salary is more than fair, and my benefits are excellent. Everything this company does for its employees is more than generous.

Are there customer service issues? Yes. Who out there thinks there's such a thing as a perfect company? Companies are managed by people. People are human. Some are hard working and caring, some are lazy and hateful. You cannot judge an entire company by a handful of people, especially when the company has 43,000 employees.

WellPoint is the largest insurance company in the country. Its products are cutting-edge. New customers are flocking to WellPoint, more so than old customers are leaving - which, in case you aren't aware, is very normal in this industry. There is a constant turnover of clients, but the bottom line is, WellPoint will continue to offer programs that work for employers and members, and WellPoint will continue to thrive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (83) Reply - Report abuse

heather x-youngstown ANTHEM employee in bristolville, Ohio

82 months ago

Sure looks like you are one of the few happy, secure in your position people left in the place. Sure hope you are never put in the position that your position will be in limbo to go overseas where you will loose that GREAT pay that you obviously have become accustomed to and you will also feel the pain of being slapped in the face by the company that you are so dedicated to that won't so much as blink an eye when the rug gets yanked out from under you like it did for Mary & Jim above... I myself found a better place which is also VERY large but a non profit company in the medical field that hasn’t been outsource to poor countries for cheep labor and work with a bunch of compassionate caring individuals that are not out to make the almighty buck and truly do care about it's employees, their families and the families that they service!! Good Luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary

82 months ago

To Heather,
I am sure that I was working at Anthem when you were. The situation was bad then, I too remember team leads walking the isles to see who was at their desk at start time, even if you were in the kitchen getting coffee you were told about not being at your desk. Plus, other reps would TELL the leads if you were one or two minutes late, forget an accident on the freeway, bad weather etc. it was not an excuse to be a minute late. Well, it got much worse after you left and Wellpoint came in. We got what I call "desktop babysitters", our computers and phones monitored our every move. They were able to monitor any outgoing phone call that we made and could tell every screen we looked at. If God forbid, you were checking the weather for possible tornado warnings, you were called in for it. We were told "management would advise us of adverse weather conditions." If we away from our desks for more than 3 minutes, bathroom, research etc. we got a pop up box telling us we were out of compliance. If your lunch was sceduled at 12:00 and we were stuck on a call until 12:30 and had an hour lunch, we were docked by being out of compliance by 1/2 hour, THEN if you took you whold hour lunch, you were ANOTHER 1/2 hour out of compliance on the back end. Which for one day could blow your phone stats for one month. What I completely don't understand, despite the fact that Ohio is a right to work state, is how they can get away with treating people this poorly in the U.S. I would be willing to go to our state senators, congressmen, whoever would listen to bring this to the media attention. I have written some letters with no response. Wellpoint is worse than a sweat shop, my heart goes out to all of my co-workers that are still there struggling with the day in and day out stress just to provider for their families. And Heather, if I remember you as I think I do, you were a great employee and they made your life there unbearable. I am so happy to hear that you are doing great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marion Dentist in Woodland Hills, California

78 months ago

I did not want to come to WellHellPoint because I just resigned from a long term job at HellHealthNet who is being sued and I'm elated and thrilled! I got a telephone call from a Temp Agency I've never heard of..it's not Kelly , not Volt..none of the big ones ..This placement agency telephoned me 3 times a day saying "the client" aka Wellpoint really wanted me to work..I decided to accept..I dressed in a new suit daily, clean ..well groomed, faked enthusiasm and politeness even as the "LEADS" were laughing about using profanity and laughing that members were on Valtrex for Herpes and denied I had to bring my own paper/pen ..people around me were TERRIFIED for their jobs..but you know what.. I thought I'd stick it out..I have no problem not using the restroom until my lunchtime and I totally think it's fine that the "manager" daily checked to make sure that I was in my seat because I always arrived at least 20 minutes early in the gray doom of hell..after five days I was telephoned by the placement agency and told the Supervisor believed, I was not "catching on" fast enough..but they never asked me to do anything I said..he said I don't know...that's what they said...needles to say the girl that was very kind that I was sitting with I answered a few questions for her that she was stumped by on the telephone..this company is at best, EVIL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

KR Coll in Camarillo, California

67 months ago

It says to be reasonable and polite. It's really hard to be reasonable with this company as they are not. They are not compassionate or do they care about you one iota. They do care if you are producing, I worked for them for almost 7 years. When I first started, I thought that the company was awesome. I learned so much, got several promotions and awards. It was big wow. Then at beginning of year six, I got really sick with a series of life damaging illness, thryoidtosicosis, mononuleousis, CFIDS, and then finally had my gall bladder out. I decided to take a medical leave when I couldn't get out of bed, which had been a issue for about 7 months. I was trying to hold on and find out what the problems were, but at the time, the doctors I was using were dumb. My manager threatened me finally with a write up..after 7 years and right there and then I decided to take a leave, I was so tired, I couldn't even see. I fought with LTD deparment and just gave up, as I didn't have the strength to continue the fight. I was offered my job after 7 months, but decided I still wasn't well enough. Finally after about a year, I started to feel better and began to reenter the job market. I had a dozen or so interviews with WellPoint, some with panels and being asked to come back for second or third interview. Nothing. I believe it was divine intervention, Wellpoint/Anthem kills people. Stay away from WellPoint, they are nasty when the tables are turned. If you are sick, they will kick you to the curb, try and fight LTD, forget it unless you have an attorney and have some money behind you. I am glad I left, it's been hard financially, but I finally feel rested after 2 and 1/2 years of sleeping in. People have died while on the job. Director of Communications in Westlake had a heart attack on a business trip. Some have collapsed and have been taken away in an ambulance. I have friends that still work there and now really hate it. You have been warned. Toxic environment beware.!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

FIRED FOR SICKLEAVE, YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO

67 months ago

May God bless you during your difficult time. After 10 years with Anthem/Wellpoint in Youngstown, Ohio, the same thing happened to me. I had to go on STD 2 times in the same year for surgeries. Then finally went back shortly after my STD ran out, worked 2 days and was fired. I got my unemployment, which they came back a year later, fought and won. I now owe the state of Ohio over $5,000 and I filed a lawsuit against the State of Ohio and God only knows what will happen. I was fired in June of 2007. My life has not been the same. I am losing everything thanks to Wellpoint. Plus the stress has been awful with my financial situation. I just found out in August that I have Multiple Sclerosis. You are 100% right when you say that Wellpoint is toxic. I feel working there the last 2 years I was there destroyed my health. Well I am glad I don't work for the greedy company anymore, I still sit and wait for it to hit the news one day that they end up like Enron. They only care about money, not employees or the lives they insure. It is VERY said what became of such a wonderful company until Wellpoint stepped in.
I wish you the best. I will keep you in my prayers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Hi there Fired For Sick Leave. Thanks for the response. I can't hardly fathom the demonic activities of this company. I am soooo sorry for you and I hope you win your money back from the state. It's really interesting that you say when Wellpoint stepped in. Unfortunately we also felt the affects of the merger. Many individuals that I worked with left, took early retirement and some are just griting their teeth to get their years in. I think it would have been better off, if all BCC's were still in their respective places. Merging is disgusting... right then and there is when all feel the affects. I remember individuals saying they hated Anthem. We felt they were technalogically inferior. Everybody has there way of doing things and when a company gets as big as now Anthem - it goes to hades in a handbasket (this forum won't allow words like He..! I didn't feel the stress untill all the mergers took place, I felt really bad for all involved. Of course you know who made out LS, and L G. They have no conscience. It's all greed. Pretty bad. Keep me in the loop on how you are doing. I will keep you in my prayers.
God Bless. I probably know you, I was in a department that if you had to deal with company information on a daily basis I was one of the individuals managing that. God Bless again. KR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

motherjones in Bellvale, New York

67 months ago

I have an interview tomorrow with WP, after reading all this I am not sure what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

It's not a good company to work for. I guess it depends on your situation. If you need to work in this economy, at least the pay is decent. Or was, I am not even sure of that anymore. I would say if you really need the job, give it a shot, but KEEP looking!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Depends on what you are interviewing for. Stay out of Claims, underwriting any customer service or provider relations. It's really a shark tank. But I would go and see what they sell you on. Don't be afraid, but make sure you have some good questions to ask them. Let us know what happens

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Totally agree with Fired in Youngstown.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I would just like to know how the h*&% they get away with what they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

YoungOldTimer in Lombard, Illinois

67 months ago

WellPoint has ruined nothing - It's Anthem "old boy" "Yes Sir" structure and mentality that is driving these companies into the ground. Good forbid someone actually suggest that a plan be in place to address the what if's. Everywhere you turn questions are viewed as not being a team player. Yet when disaster strikes they run around with their arms whaling in the air to fix things after the fact. Isn't it good business to be prepared?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthem Employee in Louisville, Kentucky

67 months ago

YoungOldTimer in Lombard, Illinois said: WellPoint has ruined nothing - It's Anthem "old boy" "Yes Sir" structure and mentality that is driving these companies into the ground. Good forbid someone actually suggest that a plan be in place to address the what if's. Everywhere you turn questions are viewed as not being a team player. Yet when disaster strikes they run around with their arms whaling in the air to fix things after the fact. Isn't it good business to be prepared?

LOL, it is the NY/Empire folks that are evil. First, they tried to shove all of CA's systems and processes down our throats, and when that didn't work, they are trying NY's.

Personally, I am pretty happy in my job here, but some of the things I see going on in management make me sick to my stomach. They could lay off 50% of directors and staff VP's with no problem...they are falling all over each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Happy at WellPoint in Jeffersonville, Indiana

67 months ago

I've been an employee of the company since 1992 and I am happy with the company. Has it become less personal since Anthem acquired WellPoint? Yup. But it's still a good place to work.

While I am no longer in management, I was a manager for 10 years there and I KNOW FOR A FACT that someone wouldn't get fired for no good reason. Human Resources requires thorough documentation of the facts that lead up to a person's termination and they don't allow you to fire someone without just cause.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

FIRED FOR SICKLEAVE, YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO in Akron, Ohio

67 months ago

I had a return to work slip, but because it was on the wrong form, (short term disaability form is what it was on) it still said that I could work with basic restrictions such as lifting since I had complications after surgery. And why did they let me return to work, work for 2 days before they figured out that I was terminated 3 weeks before I returned? When I asked them if I had the proper paperwork which meant my Dr. could just write a return date on a prescription slip,which by the way is the same info that they claim was on the wrong form, they said it would not get my job back but it may help me get long term disability. Why did I need long term disability when I was excused by my Dr. to return to work? Then they came back a year later, appealed my unemployment and won. They had lost all previous appeals before this one. They're reason? I could have brought back the release on a prescription pad and I would have been allowed to return!!!! Now YOU tell me this is not messed up? I had plenty of witnesses, including a supervisor that would attest to all of this. YES, I could have sued them, got my job back, back pay, pain and suffering and the whole nine yards. The sad part is, I didn't have $1,500 to pay the attorney as a retainer. Say what you will but Wellpoint destroyed my life. My home is now in foreclosure, I have maybe $5 between my checking and saving and am working part time for minimum wage. I have lost my car, savings, now in April I lose my home with no place to turn and NO money to do it with. I am the victim of a heartless company who only cares about the almighty dollar. I also now have Multiple Sclerosis and have no medical insurance and sit here and go WITHOUT prescription medication because I can't afford it. I suffer from anxiety, depression, MS, vision loss and pain. I BLAME WELLPOINT for all of this. The amount of stress they put me through for over 18 months has been overwhelming. Good luck, Just don't get sick there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

motherjones in Bellvale, New York said: I have an interview tomorrow with WP, after reading all this I am not sure what to do.

depends how bad you need the job. My advice would be to RUN the other way. But with jobs being in such shortage now, it's a chance and depends on if you want to take it. The treat people like robots and don't let one of your kids, family or yourself get sick, you will be gone. Maybe things are different in NY or Indiana (like "Happy in Jeffersonville" is, to me it's inhumane to pentalize workers for going to the bathroom! I have said it before, I don't know how they get away with what they do. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Happy at WellPoint in Jeffersonville, Indiana

67 months ago

There is no way you can be terminated while on an approved LOA, which is what you are indicating happened to you. If you were terminated 3 weeks before you returned from LOA, then you must have delayed your return to work past your last approved time off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Think as you wish, my return to work slip covered every single day I was off. And I did get fired for the exact reasons I stated. I was in CONSTANT contact with my manager and HR about my situation. NOT AT ANY TIME during the weeks before I returned was I told my job was in jeporady. They were simply looking for reasons to fire people. Read others on here from Youngstown, Ohio..my friend Jim was fired for his call handle time. A CUSTOMER SERVICE REP? yes, fired for call handle time. Because we had to take all the calls that were forwarded back to us from Argentina and the providers were "irate" when we got the calls back. If they had 10 claims or benefits to check or 100, we had to take ALL of them. Jim was the most curtious, sincere, responsible, customer service rep I have ever seen. Face it, Wellpoint cleaned house at the expense of the average middle class workers just to ship customer service jobs overseas. It wasn't just me, Anthem went YEARS without anyone getting fired. Unless they did something to the total breaking point. Once Wellpoint came in, within 2 years they started cleaning house and outsourcing. They look for any reason to fire anyone. Funny to that most of us that got fired were long term employees making the most money. I guess you don't care that millions of Americans are out of work because of companies just like Wellpoint who take American jobs and send them overseas. That really is what the whole issue is here. They want to save a dollar so the higher ups get their $8 million bonuses like L.G who sucked it all up and retired. If Anthem would have stayed independent of Wellpoint, I know I would still have a job that I totally loved. I hope our new President Elect can STOP these companies or fine them out the you know what for sending OUR jobs overseas. Someone in Argentina is making $2 an hour now to do my job. Sorry but to me thats sad. GO U.S.A and GOD BLESS AMERICA! SC@*^ corporate america and they're executives!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

HappyatWork in Louisville, Kentucky

66 months ago

I was laid off from Anthem/Wellpoint many years ago, and was fortunate enough to be hired back when company circumstances improved. I love my job, the people I work with and hope to be with Wellpoint until retirement. Although there were more layoffs just recently, that isn't limited to this company - it happens everywhere. Wellpoint offers wonderful severence packages and assistance programs when cutbacks are necessary. I would highly recommend this company to anyone. It's a shame that in areas that are 'policed' so heavily, the employees don't discuss with HR. There are measures in place to prevent problems with management, but the employee(s) have to be willing to do what is necessary to get changes made. HR can't make changes if they don't know there is a problem. Also, rumor has it the outsourced Argentinian positions will be coming back inhouse. Apparently customer complaints moved mountains. Don't know if it's true, but that's what is being said through the grapevine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

CAUnemployed in Oakland, California

65 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

In Dec. 2008, Wellpoint closed 5 Community Resource Centers that were part of the State Sponsored Business section of the company. They notified us 2 months in advance giving us plenty of notice to look for other employment. Wellpoint also provided an excellent resource for one month that was an employment tool. My experience with the company (I also had an excellent Manager) was positive and I know that in the case of State Sponsored Business it is a very complicated and expensive business. Being laid off is not new to me and I can only say that Wellpoint did it with respect and consideration for those of us that were involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NAD in Beverly, Massachusetts

64 months ago

I worked for the So. Portland ME branch a couple years ago and have posted my experience with them (lousy, unethical, typical of that rotten company)in a different forum on this site.
Here's some good news for a change: A woman who worked in one of the ME locations sued them and has won, after a hard fought battle.
She was a 9 year employee with excellent reviews. She was refused a promotion because she had 4 children, and was told she wouldn't devote 100% to her new position(!) Anthem then gave the job to a less qualified employee (with no children probably). These arrogant a--holes don't even bother to try to cover for breaking the law! Blatant discrimination. She won her case on appeal and the story was published in the Boston Globe just a few days ago.
Anthem/Wellpoint has absolutely no respect for their employees, or the law. They gamble that very few former employees will have the money or stamina to take them to court over it.
Congratulations to Laurie Chadwick of Maine. Chock up 1 point for the "good guys". Hope she gets an award of at least 7 figures. Having to shell out money, and embarassing media attention, are the only things that rattle these corporate criminals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fair and true in Somewhere in, California

63 months ago

There is only one way to work with company - use and abuse! FYI - I am NOT a disgruntled employee - I loved working there while it was good for me but I saw how they treated the others and when it was my turn I got it good. I worked my b...t off for them for years and received numerous awards....

Go ahead - work for them - take their money - give them your time - be prepared to be in the midst of a political firestorm and when you least expect it be prepared to be thrown out on your b...t - just because they feel like it and it doesn't matter if you are a customer service rep or a Senior Vice President - I saw them to it to all levels. P.S. If you ever get sick be sure to have an attorney cuz they will do anything including breaking the law to not pay you and then get rid of you - they are not afraid of the Federal or State Governments - the government and lawyers are all afraid of taking on this giant.

Work for them but don't ever complain - take what they give you and when you see them hit on you - start looking for a new job. If you are looking for a company that cares this is not the place for you.

Also, you will need have a strong stomach - calls from sick peole get thrown around and you will get one no matter what department you are in. They will tell you that they have been thrown from one person to the next and that they are desperate. They will tell you that WellPoint isn't paying for their care and that they are suffering - it is heart renching. If you try to help these people - you will pay for it! Remember at WellPoint sick people are the enemy. The less they pay the more profits - bonuses go UP!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I TOTALLY agree with everything you said! After almost 2 years after being fired my blood is still boiling over what Wellpoint did to me. The quality of my life has suffered so much and it sickens me each time I read that they have done the same thing to someone else. They take lives and tear them apart with no sympathy at all. I have decided to go public if I can find a reporter in Youngstown, Ohio where I worked. I also have sent emails to my State Rep and plan on going to the govener next. Wellpoint filed an appeal after I collected 6 months of unemployment. I was out of work for 6 months another time and can not collect a dime because they take it and put it towards what they feel I "owe" them. I owe them NOTHING...Wellpoint was unjust in firing me. But now I have a bill from the state every month for over $5,000!!! Wellpoint was not happy to be rid of me and rip my life apart, they had to come back for more!!! I did file suit against the State of Ohio and it has been sitting in the court for over 8 months!!!!

Another thing I would warn ANYONE considering working for this company is it will tear your health apart. I now have multiple sclerosis and yes, I do blame Wellpoint for the stress that they put on me when I already have other medical problems. I have no health care benefits, work part time, and am struggling just to stay afloat. This company needs to PAY justice for what they have done to people. I would actally like to see a Class Action Case filed against them that would cost them BILLIONS! They should have to pay us some restition for destroying our lives while they collected BIG a#$ bonuses to have beach houses in Florida at OUR expense!!! Still angry as hell in OHIO!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

curious in Glendora, California

62 months ago

motherjones in Bellvale, New York said: I have an interview tomorrow with WP, after reading all this I am not sure what to do.

Hello I am also interested in applying for a customer service job here in Pomona, California.
Someone please tell me is this not a good job? I was in a call center environment over 15 yrs and they are all like this, time restraints, bathroom issues, meeting quotas, high face paced place. All call centers are like that, and it is a very stressful place to be. where I worked before there were also people who were sick and usually never there. I feel bad for all of you who were sick and had health issues, God bless you all. Some truly were ill but some just wanted the time off. Unfortunately it becomes very expensive for companies to keep paying for people who are never there and sick alot. It is sad, but so normal and true in this day and age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

WLP Employee in Calabasas, California

58 months ago

I've been with WLP for 2 years and I'm here because I'm expecting to be laid off. I have to say though I haven't experienced or heard of anyone in the time I have been here -being fired on sick leave. In fact I took 5 months of maternity leave and came back to my job as expected. I'm not in sales or a customer facing dept so I don't see customer claims etc, that has got to be hard. They do expect you to work until the work is done (when you are salaried) and they tell you this upfront.

I think you're not getting the full picture of the company if you're only reading what's on this bulletin board. I have never seen or heard of any of this. My biggest complaint is that it's so corporate and not much passion. The best things I see here are the hours on my team can be flexible if I need to pick up a sick kid or I need to work from home one day. People are dedicated to achieving their goals and under performance is not tolerated. It's professional, best practice and buttoned-up. It has helped me improve my skills.

So why don't I like it? There's no reward for being a top performer. On some teams you just get more work or criticized for the small things you are doing wrong. I just feel like a round peg in a square hole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Dunn in Louisville, Kentucky

53 months ago

Whut up wit dat? I posted a comment here about 5 months ago and it's been deleted in the last month. It was factual regarding my legal pursuit against Wellpoint. My post went something like this:

In May 2009 I testified in a daylong deposition, broadcast via webcam, to Wellpoint's legal people in California. As a 28+ year former employee of Anthem in Louisville Kentucky, I made it my business to tell them they had no integrity. Shortly after Wellpoint merged with Anthem, it began firing older workers in our state. My case is still active: Deborah L Dunn vs Wellpoint Companies, Inc. To this date, I'm proud to hold the record of the longest serving KENTUCKY employee to be fired for “lack of performance” …. by out of state managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

D in Simi Valley, California

44 months ago

I was one of the many Americans that were laid off from Wellpoint IT in 2009. Meanwhile the company brought in many Indians to come sit at our empty cubes. Ever since Angela took over she has been ruthless and shows no loyalty towards the employees. Even as I type now, I am hearing news of more Americans getting the pink slip as the ranks of Indians in the USA soar(at Wellpoint and plenty of other companies). Angela and her cronies only care about profit and lining their own pockets. That is something I have learned to expect from Executives. The fact that our government has done nothing to protect us from H-1B visas is truly the disgusting part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Former WLP'er in Florissant, Missouri

44 months ago

More layoffs in IT were announced Nov 30, 2010. There are fewer and fewer jobs in IT at Wellpoint as they continue to out-source IT jobs to Indian companies. My position was "eliminated" but then filled by a contractor with an Indian firm. More cuts are made to benefits yearly - cost has been greatly shifted to the employee for health insurance benefits, bonuses, matching dollars to 401k and employee stock purchase program - have all been reduced to so-called "industry standard". Most salaried employees work more than 40 hour work weeks as staffing has been reduced in all divisions. Executives are heavily rewarded with stock options & bonuses and leave with huge retirement packages, even if they have only worked at WLP for a few years. Before Blue Cross Blue Shield of Mo was bought by Wellpoint, we were a familyand the company cared about it's employees. Not so much anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

stuckinohio in Youngstown, Ohio

39 months ago

Hey I am a wellpoint lay off, but I began sensing it was coming. I had a dream in December that we were done in Youngstown that came true in February. I am glad that I got a release from the Prison. Yes I made good money while I was there and I took advantage every time they offered an incentive for overtime!! When the companies name was Anthem they cared about the employees but when Wellpoint took over it was a whole different story. I saw what happened to Mary(yes she was let go for the wrong paper note) and Jim who would go to the ends of the earth for a customer(because it may take 10 minutes to service them) was let go because he actually gave great customer service, that was not appreciated. Wellpoint serves the almighty dollar end of story. If they wanted to come up with someway to fund a universal healthcare plan they should cap the golden parachutes that the wellpoint executives get every year as their annual incentive plans, there is no reason why someone should get billions of dollars as a bonus. How much money does one really need? If they capped the bonuses and took the excess from these companies our tax dollars would not need to fund a universal plan as there is plenty from the excess bonus dollars paid to wellpoint executives!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

curious in Kentucky in youngstown, Ohio

34 months ago

Kentucky, OH just got word Friday that jobs for membership and cit and billing will be moved overseas by the end of the year 2012. How can they take American jobs and moved them overseas where they don't understand or talk english they always have the American name without the american voice. I think Wellpoint is setting their self up for failure, Americans don't want to call a company and speak with a non-english speaking person. I believe they will lose a lot of contracts at the end of 2012, and I hope they go under.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

curious in Kentucky in youngstown, Ohio

34 months ago

They will not survive, the only place they are looking to expand their staff you would have to live in India, Phillipines, Manilla,there is where Anthem will expand in they year 2012, unemployment will go up in KY, OH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ABANDONED in California

33 months ago

I can attest that what FIRED FOR SICKLEAVE has gone thru. It is well known practice that WellPoint, Inc. "terminates employment" for individuals who have been out on Medical Leave, Disability Leave or whatever the case maybe for a a certain amount of time. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) it's like a year or so.

What I am currently experiencing is that our department is being eliminated and is being outsourced to the Philippines. Only a handful (possibly 12 - 17) of employees have been retained and everyone else is being "let go"!! By the end of the year 2011 many are loosing their jobs! And yet inspite of the MANY complaints coming from members, providers, physicians, and hospitals, they still choose to IGNORE the sentiment's from the bread winner of the company, the CUSTOMERS!!! They claim the reason for outsourcing jobs is for the company to remain competitive and be able to provide quality healthcare to their customers! The company is still making a considerable amount in profits to put into the pockets of Management! I'd like to see what Management is getting. It's all about GREED nothing more nothing less. Corporate GREED is definitely what it's all about. The rich gets richer while the middle class and the poor becomes even more poorer!!!!

What amazes me is that as an American we vote who we want to represent us in Capitol Hill. Those people forget about the common folk once they are there working with the rest of the high paid crooks!!! I'm disappointed. It seems that they are only out for themselves. Tsk tsk!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

concerned in Clayton, Indiana

32 months ago

I have been a Wellpoint employee for almost 33 years now. I guess I have been very fortunate. I have generally always got along with management and most management just simply want employees to just do their jobs. I was facing elimination once and my manager gave me a heads-up so that I could look for other comparable jobs from within. I loved my job and it was hard to not take it personally, but I sat down with HR and they were very helpful, and were very compassionate. I was able to find a comparable job before my position was eliminated. It is hard to read some of this negative things. Do I love my company? Well, I wouldn't take it that far, but I do have respect for it. I quit once after 5 years there, and realized that the grass is not greener on the other side. It is the every day employee at Wellpoint that makes it what it is. It is, a good place to work in my eyes. Over all these years, benefits are down, but they are EVERYWHERE.
I remember a time when my son was going through some very serious emotional stress. I can only say it was serious. I went it to tell my manager at the time, and she cried with me. She went out of her way to get an exception for me to work from home. This was when working at home just started about 15 years ago....I did have to take a demotion and process claims, but the fact that she cared enough was exceptional, and it may in fact have saved my son. Mom could be at home, what a gift! When the crisis was over, I returned to work in the office, waited for the next Lead job to come open and got the position back. I've also had 4 medical leaves since I've worked there, and have never had any problems. I've worked in Customer Service, Claims, and several other departments.....I can only hope that I can make it to at least an early retirement, but, the world is changing so much, our government isn't helping anyone, or anybody, but I am blessed to work where I do and blessed to have a good christian manager.notallbad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

I hate WellPoint in Woodland Hills, California

29 months ago

I have to agree with every single person on here who said something negative about HellPoint. This place sucks. I thought I had a great job, and loved all the awards and such, then after 2 years of realization, this company blows. I work in CA and over 700 people have been laid off in the 19 months I have been here. 4 different departments! CRAZY! All outsourced to the Philippines. Everything about the stats, call times, being locked to your phone, getting in trouble for bathroom, getting written up for going over call time, etc. IS ALL TRUE. They treat you like slaves here and expect you to do EVERYTHING and it is so draining. Yet when you do try to help you get in trouble. WTF? My Manager wouldn't allow me to WAH for some BS reason so I straight up put my 2 weeks in. I have been miserable here and my happiness does not have a price tag. This company doesn't give a sh** if you live or die. All Angela Braly cares about is MONEY. I thought this was the best move for me at the time, and I didn't understand all the negative connotations I heard from others about this place when I first started, but its ALL TRUE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.