DO WELLS FARGO DO CREDIT CHECKS FOR EMPLOYMENT?

Comments (1 to 50 of 66)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

anonymous

94 months ago

I RECENTLY APPLIED TO WELLS FARGO AND HAD AN INTERVIEW LAST WEEK. DO THEY DO DRUG TESTING OR CREDIT CHECKS?? IVE BEEN HAVING SUCH PROBLEMS BECAUSE MY CREDIT IS BAD. IVE RECENTLY APPLIED FOR THE LOAN PROCESSOR POSITION. DO THEY ALSO DO DRUG TESTING??

NA in Las Cruces, New Mexico

94 months ago

I recently started at wells fargo about a week ago and they didn't do a credit check on me, but they did disclose this free credit act passed by congress and I don't know about the drug test, they haven't given me one so far and they haven't mentioned it to me yet so I don't know if they just do them randomly or what. I'm sure they would have let me know by now.

ppmd in North Highlands, California

54 months ago

you think the hiring process is bad business, wait until you start working for them

anonymous7 in Ford City, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

NEED TO KNOW FAST...can someone pass the SAFE Registration in NV if they have had a personal Chapter 7 Bankruptcy dismissed in 2010? There were no extraordinary situations, or money laundering or whatever...just a personal issue that meant I couldnt work, couldnt pay bills, and didnt have a choice....but, offered a position at Wells Fargo, and it will mean relocating....cannot do that until I have a certain job.
Does anyone know if this personal bankruptcy thing will disqualify me for employment??? Thanks in advance...I am a little freaked out by this. Totally derailed me....no other criminal issues....not even a speeding ticket.

babymikey2005 in Brainerd, Minnesota

49 months ago

Anonymous7 in Ford City. I was told by Wells Fargo HR and also 2 other service managers that a bankruptcy will not disqualify you for employment.

anonymous7

49 months ago

OMG-OmG...you made my day!!!!!!! Yippppppeeeeee!!!!

49 months ago

Next question, if I may....do I have to disclose this? What I am afraid of is being told "too bad" and I REALLY want the job...and, it is in the past, and I have not had any debt since. Thanks in advance for your time!

babymikey2005 in Crosslake, Minnesota

49 months ago

anonymous7, you could tell them if you want, I did, and both managers told me that they dont look at that. I was also told by a personal banker (who is a friend) that wells fargo hired a girl that filed bankruptcy against wells fargo home mortgage and she still got hired. I wouldnt worry about it. Good luck with everything and I hope you get it.

49 months ago

babymikey2005....thanks for your reply *again*.....the issue I have with "telling" them is that I will have to work with these people and there are all types of predisposed ideas about those who have to file bankruptcy...especially within the financial community. So, it is not about hiding it, but, simply that if it is not relavant, then I dont see any reason to offer the information up front. The thing is, I am happy to explain it, should someone want to know more about it, but, I dont partularly raise the red flag if I dont have to.
I notice you are in Mn? Did the people you are referring to have to fulfill the SAFE registration for the mortgage lending area? In reading their information, it says to show fiscal responsibility....but, then goes on to say that it points to stuff like money laundering, etc....nothing illegal about my Chapter 7...and no mortgage even...just medical bills and credit card debt....no choice in light of being disabled, losing my business, and source of income, due to accident....
Thanks again for your time. I guess I am so concerned that if I call, then they will just say forget it, and I have my heart set on it....I WANT to work for Wells Fargo, so badly...and start over....you know.? I need a fresh start....

49 months ago

anonymous7, I wouldnt even disclose it at all, since wells fargo is a national bank there policies should be for all wells fargos. This is what I was told by human resources as well as 2 service managers and a personal banker. Wells fargo doesnt look at bankruptcy. You dont need to say anything, they will probably see it during your background check because of it being a district court thing but otherwise, they over look it. Good luck with everything and hope things work out for you.

Desperato#08

45 months ago

Would someone please comment wether it counts against you if you didn't put down jobs you had in the past and you left on bad tearms.? PS Desperato

Desperato#08

45 months ago

babymikey2005 in Crosslake, Minnesota said: anonymous7, I wouldnt even disclose it at all, since wells fargo is a national bank there policies should be for all wells fargos. This is what I was told by human resources as well as 2 service managers and a personal banker. Wells fargo doesnt look at bankruptcy. You dont need to say anything, they will probably see it during your background check because of it being a district court thing but otherwise, they over look it. Good luck with everything and hope things work out for you.

Hello, can you please comment wether it counts against a person if they had several jobs in the past and that person left a lot of them on bad terms? Please set my mind clear wether to expect to get hired or to get laughed off by another bank again. You give a lot of great advice. One more thing, on the application online let's say I didn't Add any of those jobs.

45 months ago

Desperato#08 if you didnt add any of those jobs and they arent listed on your credit report, I would say you have nothing to worry about unless those jobs are some sort of affiliant of the bank you are applying at (which im assuming wells fargo), i take it you havent actually done the face to face interview yet? They mostly ask about your experience in selling things (because they like to get their products and services out there) and also your customer service experience. The only thing I could think of that could possibly be a problem would be if there is a huge gap in employment history like a year or something, they might ask what you were doing but its easy to say something like you took some personal time off or a family thing. Like I said, unless you have the job listed on your credit report, there is no way of wells fargo or any company for that matter to find out what jobs you have been previously employed at unless you tell them. Good luck with everything and I hope you get the job.

Desperato#08

45 months ago

babymikey2005 in Crosslake, Minnesota said: Desperato#08 if you didnt add any of those jobs and they arent listed on your credit report, I would say you have nothing to worry about unless those jobs are some sort of affiliant of the bank you are applying at (which im assuming wells fargo), i take it you havent actually done the face to face interview yet? They mostly ask about your experience in selling things (because they like to get their products and services out there) and also your customer service experience. The only thing I could think of that could possibly be a problem would be if there is a huge gap in employment history like a year or something, they might ask what you were doing but its easy to say something like you took some personal time off or a family thing. Like I said, unless you have the job listed on your credit report, there is no way of wells fargo or any company for that matter to find out what jobs you have been previously employed at unless you tell them. Good luck with everything and I hope you get the job.

Thank you Babymike,
Yes it's Wells Fargo, today I have my second phone interview 15 minutes before 3 or after and I have more confidence than last week. Because I'm so determined to get this teller job, because I been researching on tips to nail a job and your also a big help with your advise.
So would I know after this second phone interview if I'm in? Like let's say the interviewer says one of the upper HR bosses or whatever will look into your profile and you will hear back. That basically means I didn't get it in, right? Will he/she tell me when I have an interview with so and so face to face? If I'm in?
Also I just remembered something I said that was so dumb to the recruiter. After being asked was I ever terminated for unexcused absences. I mentioned a job I didn't even put down on the app. Just wanted to be completely honest, It wasn't for unexcused, but rather "tardies"!

Desperato#08

45 months ago

Desperato#08 said: Thank you Babymike,
Yes it's Wells Fargo, today I have my second phone interview 15 minutes before 3 or after and I have more confidence than last week. Because I'm so determined to get this teller job, because I been researching on tips to nail a job and your also a big help with your advise.
So would I know after this second phone interview if I'm in? Like let's say the interviewer says one of the upper HR bosses or whatever will look into your profile and you will hear back. That basically means I didn't get it in, right? Will he/she tell me when I have an interview with so and so face to face? If I'm in?
Also I just remembered something I said that was so dumb to the recruiter. After being asked was I ever terminated for unexcused absences. I mentioned a job I didn't even put down on the app. Just wanted to be completely honest, It wasn't for unexcused, but rather "tardies"!

The recruiter rephrased her question and said, yeah but was you ever terminated for UNEXCUSED absences.
So I said, No. I hope I get a third interview. Well god bless and wish me luck.

45 months ago

Desperato#08, You wont know after the second interview, believe me, I went threw 5 interviews but that was a different situation, after the 2nd phone interview, which is the one that they call you, if they want you (which I thought I did terrible because I couldnt answer the question of why I really wanted the job) but hey, they still called me in for a face to face interview at the branch I applied for, at this point you will then have an interview with the manager of the department you are applying for and also another manager will sit in to take notes, they will ask you similar questions from the first 2 interviews but other things like being more specific on rewards you received for customer service or how you would handle a certain situation. After this face to face interview they will either offer you the job or not (not sure if that was correct in my situation because I had a face-2-face with one branch and they called me 2 days later and told me they filled the position but had an opening in another branch near me and i had another interview with that manager but she offered me the job right on the spot. Hope this helps, by the way, dont be nervous, they are just as nervous as you are and try to make a few jokes, it helps lol

Desperato#08

45 months ago

babymikey2005 in Crosslake, Minnesota said: Desperato#08, You wont know after the second interview, believe me, I went threw 5 interviews but that was a different situation, after the 2nd phone interview, which is the one that they call you, if they want you (which I thought I did terrible because I couldnt answer the question of why I really wanted the job) but hey, they still called me in for a face to face interview at the branch I applied for, at this point you will then have an interview with the manager of the department you are applying for and also another manager will sit in to take notes, they will ask you similar questions from the first 2 interviews but other things like being more specific on rewards you received for customer service or how you would handle a certain situation. After this face to face interview they will either offer you the job or not (not sure if that was correct in my situation because I had a face-2-face with one branch and they called me 2 days later and told me they filled the position but had an opening in another branch near me and i had another interview with that manager but she offered me the job right on the spot. Hope this helps, by the way, dont be nervous, they are just as nervous as you are and try to make a few jokes, it helps lol

Thank you, I'm just waiting and waiting with the upmost patience. For the regretted unfortunately we are considering....or a good e-mail or better yet a phone call. I'm really wanting this job because I don't care to go back to college and I'm going to literally make a career out of it, if I get in. Thanks, PS, I'm not nervous anymore. Bye

applyingforajob in Los Angeles, California

40 months ago

MBAgirl in Blue Springs, Missouri said: I have been at Wells Fargo for sometime now. They don't do drug tests or credit checks. They only do a thorough background check (criminal and employment). When i started in 2003 they were trying to verify a company i had worked with in 1996!! I had to find a paystub and fax it to HR.

Do you know if they do credit checks now?

Ambernicole091 in Fredericksburg, Virginia

39 months ago

I recently applied to wells Fargo and got a phone call 2 weeks ago. It's was a 15 min interview over the phone.. Then Monday the recruiter called me and left me a voice mail and said that if I was s interested in the position to give them a call on there message line which I did.. I have left mtoe messages and still haven't hers anything?!? Is this normal?? My current employer said the contacted hi
And verifying that I worked there.. The job starts in 9 days..it's the collector postion

Bd in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

applyingforajob in Los Angeles, California said: Do you know if they do credit checks now?

I was offered a banking position on 4/10/12 I was sent a link to allow them to do my background check and to sign up for finger printing the next day 4/11/12. The same day 4/11/12 the BM called me and said congrats I passed the background check!
They don't run credit only employment and criminal and NO drug test! Good Luck.. I hear nothing but positive things about Wells Fargo

Bd in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

4/10/12 I was offered the position as a bank contigent of my BG check. Same day I was sent a link to give Wells permission to check my BG and also schedule my finger printing which I chose next day 4/11/12. After submitting my finger prints that same day 4/11/12 BM called me to congratulate me and I passed the BG check. He was pretty shocked it came back so fast, as was I. However, my criminal BG is clean!!!credit not up to par reason my starting my career now (recent college grad) but they DONT CHECK CREDIT OR DRUG TEST!!!!
GOOD LUCK every1 I'm excited I've heard majority positive commentary in regards to Wells a few negativity but that is inevitable. :)

Scripted2change in Allentown, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Hi,
I recently applied for a position with wells fargo and am debating going through with the position because of a backround check. I was to take a phone banker position last year and passed but i got a DUI last year and had it expunged 4/4/2012 and was wondering if i should go through with it or wait a little longer just to make sure it is cleared out of all places. I know some banks dont really look at first time dui offenders but some banks do. thanks in advance

BD

37 months ago

Scripted2change in Allentown, Pennsylvania said: Hi,
I recently applied for a position with wells fargo and am debating going through with the position because of a backround check. I was to take a phone banker position last year and passed but i got a DUI last year and had it expunged 4/4/2012 and was wondering if i should go through with it or wait a little longer just to make sure it is cleared out of all places. I know some banks dont really look at first time dui offenders but some banks do. thanks in advance

Yes still apply!!!!!!

mikey in Geneva, Minnesota

37 months ago

I passed the interview and was offered job to start the next week. But because of my background and FBI fingerprinting, the start date was pending till I clear all bk and fp. I passed the background check even though i have recent discharged from chapter 7 bankruptcy. But i failed fingerprinting because of one DUI and two driving after revocation i got 10 years ago - February 26, 2002 to be exact. And i have been cleared since year 2002 - not even a warning on my record. So i don't know about other states but here in Minnesota if you have a DUI and driving after revocations, check with wells fargo before you apply because the chances are you might not get hire. So don't worry about your credit but worry about your DUI if you have one.

Dave in Gilbert, Arizona

35 months ago

Is there anymore updates on drug testing for First Advantage. Has anyone ever had to do a drug test when going in to take fingerprints with first advantage? Immediate help is very appreciated.

IJN427 in Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Dave in Gilbert, Arizona said: Is there anymore updates on drug testing for First Advantage. Has anyone ever had to do a drug test when going in to take fingerprints with first advantage? Immediate help is very appreciated.

No drug test with first advantage. If the company wants you to do a drug test it would be separate from the background check/finger printing

lrap in Carlsbad, California

34 months ago

what about health issues from the past can they find out about them ?

Anonymous34 in Barrington, Illinois

33 months ago

Just to let everyone know, I was recently hired on with Wells Fargo, and I have bad credit. I sent my fingerprints in on a Friday and the following Tuesday I got an email saying my background check had cleared. My criminal record is clean, and I don't have any previous employment problems. That's all they are looking for. If you google the employee handbook they say multiple times that all they are looking for is a crimes of dishonesty/breach of trust. Having bad credit is something I'm sure all employers have had to get used to in 2012.

justin231 in Hephzibah, Georgia

27 months ago

Worried...got hired at wells fargo while still employed. The week she called me back afyed the interview offering me the job. My current employer terminayes me fr dishobesty. No cops were spoken to i was just asked to go home. Please help i am worried it is the next week after acepting the position just got fingerprinting and background check done yesterday.

ArcadiaBob in Houston, Texas

27 months ago

I was offered a job at Wells Fargo. I got all the docs completed, passed my background and finger printing. I noticed they did not mention a drug screen, is it possible that a fimr of this size doesnt do screens? I fond that very odd.

Seabtaylor in Bel Air, Maryland

23 months ago

Hi I an in interview with wellsfargo next week and I have heard about n the bg check and since I did have a criminal charge that I was charged with back in 2003 and I got expunged off of my record. Years ago I was wondering if I would be still eligible for employment

Bd in Chandler, Arizona

23 months ago

Seabtaylor in Bel Air, Maryland said: Hi I an in interview with wellsfargo next week and I have heard about n the bg check and since I did have a criminal charge that I was charged with back in 2003 and I got expunged off of my record. Years ago I was wondering if I would be still eligible for employment

Don't worry DUI should be fine it's not a driving job! Financial institutions don't care about that .

christina in Wixom, Michigan

18 months ago

NA in Las Cruces, New Mexico said: I recently started at wells fargo about a week ago and they didn't do a credit check on me, but they did disclose this free credit act passed by congress and I don't know about the drug test, they haven't given me one so far and they haven't mentioned it to me yet so I don't know if they just do them randomly or what. I'm sure they would have let me know by now.

Are you sure they didnt do a credit check, because it says they will do one in the job page. Do you mind telling me what your credit score is?

Janet.crabtree@gmail.com in Citrus Heights, California

18 months ago

christina in Wixom, Michigan said: Are you sure they didnt do a credit check, because it says they will do one in the job page. Do you mind telling me what your credit score is?

I was told by the HR manager that they only worry about your fingerprints and DO NOT do a credit check...I have a clean criminal record but I did have to file for a BK...I did read the Wells Fargo handbook and it is unclear wether they take your credit into consideration? It depends on the regulations of your state...I can only go on what the HR manager told everyone at the group interview...NO CREDIT CHECK...and regardless they absolutely do not get your credit score! It said so on the First Advantage web page...i live in CA...

18 months ago

Bd in Chandler, Arizona said: Don't worry DUI should be fine it's not a driving job! Financial institutions don't care about that .

Nothing past ten years is looked at...

18 months ago

ArcadiaBob in Houston, Texas said: I was offered a job at Wells Fargo. I got all the docs completed, passed my background and finger printing. I noticed they did not mention a drug screen, is it possible that a fimr of this size doesnt do screens? I fond that very odd.

No drug test...

Dyoung in Brandon, Florida

14 months ago

I applied for multiple positions and received a call back for a Personal Banker position. I have a lot of sales experience and went through the group Email without a hitch. I received a call back for a Second interview with the branch manager and that went very well also. I got a call the next morning telling me that They wanted to do a third interview on the following Monday and during the 3rd interview with the regional manager, she told me that the branch manager was very impressed and wanted another interview to nice next through which was something he had never done. So at that point I was feeling great about myself and thinking I had a really good chance. Now it has been well over a week and a half since my lady interview and I have called to follow up with No return responses by anyone... even the recruiter. I go on and look at the Wells Fargo career site and it shows declined next to the position now. What happened? Is that a mistake? How Did I go so far and do so well and now this note. No calls from the recruiter, nothing. I have No criminal background whatsoever, my credit is not totally ebismal (just some medical bills and a discharged bankruptcy from years and years ago), and all of my experience checks out. Could the declined notice just be an oversight? WOULDN'T They call you if you have gone this far in the process? How long does it take once you finish your final interview to hear anything? Does anyone know the process? Thants in advance.

Janet.crabtree@gmail.com in Roseville, California

14 months ago

DeYoung, I am 100% positive that bad credit had anything to do with you not getting the call back! They don't do the criminal screening till they offer the job...I have been employed by Wells Fargo since November 16, 2013...I realize each State has different procedures and sorry they left you hanging!

Waiting still in Kannapolis, North Carolina

14 months ago

They absolutely do a financial fitness check however, It may vary for specific job titles and in different locations.i I was offered a job but am currently awaiting to hear back since I had to explain a few delinquent credit accts from years ago as to whether or not they will proceed with my hire. :/

14 months ago

Waiting still in Kannapolis, North Carolina said: They absolutely do a financial fitness check however, It may vary for specific job titles and in different locations.i I was offered a job but am currently awaiting to hear back since I had to explain a few delinquent credit accts from years ago as to whether or not they will proceed with my hire. :/

You can't say absolutely! Because they absolutely told me credit was not a consideration! AND I have been with the company since November 2013...now each State might have different requirements...

14 months ago

Background checks are important to protect Wells Fargo’s team members and its assets and to comply with federal regulations that prohibit us from employing or associating with someone convicted of certain crimes involving dishonesty or breach of trust (see Breach of Trust or Dishonesty). Because of this, it is Wells Fargo’s policy that new hires and rehires may not begin work as team members until the background screening process has been successfully completed.
We conduct a criminal background investigation on each person who is offered a job at Wells Fargo, including those who may be rehires. Where required by federal law or regulation, the background check process may also include a credit fitness check. We may also investigate the employment and education background of any team member. We reserve the right to deny or terminate employment based on the results of the check. To ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and to ensure appropriate oversight of certain fiduciary responsibilities, Wells Fargo requires team members who are in certain positions to be rescreened periodically. Managers of team members in these positions will be notified of the need to rescreen. Incumbents in these positions will be notified of this requirement and are expected to fully comply and cooperate with the process of rescreening. Failure to do so could result in corrective action, which may include termination of employment.
To be eligible for employment an applicant must also meet the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA) and Bonding standards. See Breach of Trust or Dishonesty.
For more information, contact your manager or the HR Advisor team.

From the employee handbook. So my apologies as my use of the word absolutely was premature and apples to myself personally but for others asking, as stated above, it MAY include a financial check. I'm sure depending on the job.

14 months ago

Thanks for posting their handbook...fortunately for me the Wells Fargo HR representative stated upfront in our group interview that credit would not be considered during the background investigation. I had 4 interviews and finally offer from another institution, accepted, then didn't pass the credit portion on the background check. I was so relieved that Wells Fargo was upfront about which background checks they did!

amanda in Colonial Heights, Virginia

14 months ago

I am commenting only to help clarify some of the concerns regarding credit check with Wells Fargo. I applied for a teller position a couple of months ago. I went to a group interview and a couple of weeks later, I received a call for an interview. The interview went great and later that day, I received a call from HR asking if I would consider a Personal Banker position instead as they felt I was a little over qualified for the teller position. I said I would definitely be interested- and it also was a higher paying position. I then was invited for a final interview with the district manager for the Personal Banker position. That went great and an offer was extended to me, which I accepted. They then began my background checks. It took about two weeks and the financial fitness team did inquire about a few delinquent accounts from my credit, and also a BK that was discharged 4 years ago. I explained fully and honestly that my family and I suffered greatly when the market crashed in 2008. Since then, I have been in college and not in a position to do much repair to my credit. I thought they would look past this as I have NO criminal background and NO history of a breach of trust or dishonesty. I got the call yesterday that I was declined the job because of my credit. I am still being considered as a teller which does not require "credit fitness" as a part of the background check. Thankfully, I can repair my credit and reapply in a year for the PB position, which I have every intention of doing. But YES, Wells Fargo does consider your credit and any bad credit can be grounds for declining a conditional job offer.

Janet.crabtree@gmail.com in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

14 months ago

Well I don't know what else to say...I am a BP with all the same credit problems...and have been employed since November of 2013....so looks like it is NOT a guarantee...just can only report my situation...

Janet.crabtree@gmail.com in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

14 months ago

PB...AND NO!!! They did not do A credit check!!!

14 months ago

Offer was rescinded due to my credit history. Good luck to anyone else.

Janet.crabtree@gmail.com in Martinez, California

14 months ago

Looks like it varies from state to state about credit affecting your chances of employment with Wells Fargo...

precious1990 in Chester, South Carolina

13 months ago

jcw0307 in Small Town said: At that point since you were not CONVICTED I doubt that will be much of an issue. I am on Chexsystems and recently applied and was offered a job with Wells Fargo contingent on the background check. Does anyone know if the fact that I am on Chexsystems will pose a problem for employment with Wells Fargo? The account that was reported has been paid in full and is closed however remains on your Chexsystems report for five years. Should I mention this to the person conducting the background check?

I worked at Wells Fargo for 8 years and I was terminated when they ran a background check on me based on their new guidelines a lot of people lost their jobs. Anyway, I had a bad check charge from 2006, I was not convicted, I paid the fine but the fact that it showed up on my back ground check caused me to have to get a Section 19 waiver in order to be able to work for them or any other financial institution.

Anonymous in Raleigh, North Carolina

11 months ago

I just recently was offered a job at Wells Fargo with the position that requires (S.A.F.E) registration. This pretty much means a credit check. I have bad terrible credit and wanted to know if anyone has been declined a offer because of their credit? What goes into the decision process and is there anything that I can do to help my chances ?

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

11 months ago

Anonymous in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I just recently was offered a job at Wells Fargo with the position that requires (S.A.F.E) registration. This pretty much means a credit check. I have bad terrible credit and wanted to know if anyone has been declined a offer because of their credit? What goes into the decision process and is there anything that I can do to help my chances ?

Everybody has their own definition of what constitutes "bad credit" and this includes banks.

In general, what most (not all) companies don't want to see is something known as "public record": repossessions, bankruptcies, liens, etc. In addition, some companies don't want to see huge outstanding balances.

A few late payments here and there will usually not affect a hiring decision. Finally, very few companies use "scores" as part of their hiring decision. That is usually reserved for loan granting purposes.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.