Interview tips

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 392)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

jjohnsonCO in Colorado Springs, Colorado

76 months ago

Employed because of my own efforts! in Oakland, California said: I just got hired at Wells as a Banker. If you want to get hired focus on your selling and customer service abilities. Good luck.

I'm curious, how much more does a PB get paid than a teller in your area? I think here in Colorado, a teller makes about $11/hr on average. How much of your salary is base and how much is commission?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

crystalface in San Francisco, California

76 months ago

Tinster:

Don't worry they'll call you. Our recruiter gave us her card inside of the folder.
You may be able to find out if you call the 1-800 # from the email?

I got a call the same day, I'm guessing the group interview isn't really a "test," because you're not all vying for one individual position...

Good luck!

JJ:
That's what I'd like to know. I'm in san francisco, and for my first branch interview she asked what I wanted for pay, and I took a stab in the dark and asked for $12.50, because I've heard that it's along the lines of teller pay rates... Though I'm terrible when it comes to asking for salaries, because I never know the appropriate range...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tinster in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

hey crystalface!

thanks for the support. so yeah. they called today. the recruiter said that she'd be forwarding my profile to the branch manager and that they'll be in contact soon to bring me in for another interview.

i know i'm a step closer but it's still nerve wrecking!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

The individual interview is much easier. The group interviews just take you WAY out of your comfort zone, lol. Both of my individual interviews were a piece of cake compared to the group. Much of the questions they ask you varies from one interview to the next, so I wouldn't rely on the exact questions that were posted here-but it gives you a good idea. At my interview yesterday she asked me alot of questions about customer service... I was also interviewed by the store manager briefly--which I hope was another good sign... Both sounded promising...

And one good thing NOT to say--Don't say you DON'T want to want to work in retail anymore (if you ever have.) Obviously, it's a doomed response. (I actually didn't say anything like that but she mentioned that SOOOOO many people say that kind of thing and it's not a good answer at all!)

I'm nervous because the second service manager didn't get back to me like she said, so I'm hoping shell call me today... I actually do want to call her because I have a few more questions and I want to make sure she got my resume when I emailed it to her.
All this calling and not calling is driving me nuts.
I hope I get it! Especially because I'm not sure if its just one position available at that branch.
I do think I have one up over everyone else though, lol, because I got a good recommendation from the service manager at the other branch I interviewed at...

Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

OKay... Now I'm getting nervous...
I called this morning to follow up with the service manager I interviewed with, and I spoke to the other service manager who knew about me and told me that SM #1 would be following up...
I stiiiiill haven't heard back! >.<

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Hey all...
Just wanted to let everyone know that I was offered the position!! Weee!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tinster in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

heyy. CONGRADULATIONS! you must be excited.

i'm still going through the whole "not calling/calling" process. i'm supposed to be expecting a call from the branch manager by friday - hopefully they'll call sooner and i could head in for an interview.

i guess after that decides whether or not they'll offer me a position. so we'll see.

good for you though~! you've probably already answered this but what position did you apply for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

meowmeow mrrrrrr in Minneapolis, Minnesota

76 months ago

Reyy in Palos Verdes Peninsula, California said: hey guys i applied for the teller position about a month ago
it was weird they first sent me an email saying i didnt get it but then later on i got a call for a group interview.
so i went in for the group interview, and it happened to be a huge one. of about 20-22 people.
they didnt ask us any questions really, just about our schedule, a second language, and how many hours we'd like. all we had to do was fill out an application pretty much.
about 3 business days later i got a phone call asking to come into a interview with 3 service manager.
they were sooo nice and made you feel very comfortable.
asked you questions about customer service like "have you ever been in a situation where...." bunch of those! i got a call less than 24 hours later saying i got the teller position! everyone was sooo nice and it was a lot easier than i expected. i went into it very nervous and doubtful. but they really make you feel right at home :]

GOOD LUCK!

If I may ask have you had previous teller experience when you applied with Wells Fargo? I have applied to over 40 positions within the area, but have never heard anything from the company. What kind of untold requirements are they looking for because, i obviously met the requirements mentioned in the teller job description. Please let me know ASAP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

meowmeow mrrrrrr in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: If I may ask have you had previous teller experience when you applied with Wells Fargo? I have applied to over 40 positions within the area, but have never heard anything from the company. What kind of untold requirements are they looking for because, i obviously met the requirements mentioned in the teller job description. Please let me know ASAP

I've noticed that every time I respond to their rejection emails asking them to specifically tell me what qualifications I lack, they call me the next day to set up a phone interview.

I guess one qualification is to just be aggressive. And as I've written to you on other threads, gotta have the sales experience. Even if you don't think you have any sales experience now, try to think about things you did in HS or College, or even with other jobs. There had to be at least a few stories you can tell where you had to sell SOMETHING (such as an idea, a plan, a proposal). Basically anything that shows you have a determination and a persuasiveness about you. Granted, I think most screeners want to know quantitative numbers, so you can try that route, but it may not be enough depending on the screener.

Worse, comes to worse, you can always come up with an anecdote to tell them as well. But I warn you, if you're not ready for high pressure sales, don't stretch the truth too much because you may just end up over your head. Sometimes it's a good thing when a place won't hire you because they know you may not be ready for the type of job they have. I'm glad one of the top insurance sales companies shot me down (with a personality test no less) rather than me waste a few weeks into it to find it's not for me.

Long story short, figure out exactly what you'd like to do for a job (or career if you're at that point in your life) and go for it. If you can't get into it outright, then do stuff on the side related to it for now and build up a portfolio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

meow: I applied for several teller postions in the san fran area--and I got all these emails to complete the screening, and I actually noticed one that says I was rejected for being under 18. LOL. What?

Also when I dd the pre-iterview with HR, all they did was ask me about my previous experience. Like I said before, I think it all varies from person to person and interview to interview... You don't need any previous banking experience, but sales and customer service experience you pretty much do need, or at least have a good idea whats involved in sales and customer service.

trinster: I applied for a teller position.

tom truong in san jose, California

76 months ago

So i just had an phone interview, they ask me some questions that was pretty hard. especially the part where if you got any recognition or awards on your previous job, which i didn't. How long should i wait for them to call me for the second interview, or do they usually schedule you right after the phone interview if they like you. Also, 80 referrals in a quarter (3 months)? is it easy to get referral? I really want to work as a teller and wells fargo is a good place for me to start my career in banking, but I am worried that it is a bit too hard to get accepted at wells fargo. How long should i wait for them to call me for a second interview before giving up?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dwan_09@yahoo.com in Rocklin, California

76 months ago

Oh they are all about sales. To get a referral you have to describe 3 benefits and features of a product and then they have to show a genuine interest in the product. Thats just the referral. Then there's the profit margin. The % of $$$ that you can profit from if a customer DOES actually sign up for something you offered (i.e credit card, line of credit, merchant services). Half of your performance is based on the above (at least as a phone banker - not sure about a regular teller).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

tom truong in san jose, California said: So i just had an phone interview, they ask me some questions that was pretty hard. especially the part where if you got any recognition or awards on your previous job, which i didn't. How long should i wait for them to call me for the second interview, or do they usually schedule you right after the phone interview if they like you. Also, 80 referrals in a quarter (3 months)? is it easy to get referral? I really want to work as a teller and wells fargo is a good place for me to start my career in banking, but I am worried that it is a bit too hard to get accepted at wells fargo. How long should i wait for them to call me for a second interview before giving up?

Agreeing with dwan, it IS a sales job. But they don't lie to you about it either.

They DO train you however, and there is ALOT of training involved. I'm not sure what the quota is for a teller, but I know it's not 80. There is a cssr I believe in my region who was mentioned during orientation--he did 75 a quarter but he was actually exceeding... Don't let quotas scare you, don't let any of this scare you. And its GREAT that you want to do banking. It took them about a week to contact me for the group interview after I did the phone interview, and they will contact you by email, and tell you to call them, also if you don't hear from them, feel free to call them back, to see the status of your application. Be confident, be proud of yourself and past exerience, and show them you want it. You will get it. :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Reyy in Palos Verdes Peninsula, California

76 months ago

meowmeow mrrrrrr in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: If I may ask have you had previous teller experience when you applied with Wells Fargo? I have applied to over 40 positions within the area, but have never heard anything from the company. What kind of untold requirements are they looking for because, i obviously met the requirements mentioned in the teller job description. Please let me know ASAP

i havent had any previous experience but i have had 5 different jobs in the past. and i think what really got it for me was my personality- i got along with the service managers that interviewed me very well and i got a call the next day. i've been working there for 2 weeks now and i have to say thats its really cool so far. everyone is nice and the program is easy to get the hang of once you've done a few transactions. i say you call them - who ever called you in for the interview and see whats going on if you STILL havent gotten a call back yet. did you have something bad on your resume or record?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

paisley1984 in Clackamas, Oregon

75 months ago

I am so glad I stumbled across this site because I recently applied for a teller position in Wilsonville. I just graduated and am completely confused as to what I should do with an English degree. Thinking about masters in education actually, but in the meantime I needed a job that could take care of me. I hear Wells Fargo could pay up to 5,000 dollars annually for tuition!

So here's my own experience:
Three days ago, completed online application.

The next day I recieved an email indicating that my next step would be to complete a web screening. It included about 30 multiple choice questions about your previous customer service skills, your own skills, and others that seemed quite random.

Over the weekend, I called the 1-888 number for a very quick phone screening. It lasted about 5 minutes. I want to mention that the woman I talked to wasn't as friendly as I had expected. She did not want thorough answers, but short and to the point. When I tried to elaborate on when I had provided great customer service, she cut me off and asked if she could go on to the next question! I assumed it's just because she screened a ton of people everyday and that it was the recruiter's job to listen to me sell myself:)

Then she set me up with an appointment for a group interview on Sept. 8.

I'm so nervous- but wish me luck! Thanks and good luck to everyone who wrote about their experiences because I now have an idea of what to expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

prateek gupta in San Jose, California

75 months ago

Hi

I have a Wells Fargo job interview for teller position on 1 October, 2008. This is my first bank interview, and I am very nervous about it. I heard they organize Group Interview.
If anybody help me out with expected questions and the interview details with details, I will be really thankful to you all.
Reply soon My email address is setpratwet@yahoo.com
Thanks
Prateek

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Okay in Oakland, California

75 months ago

How much the personal banker get paid?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

prateek gupta in San Jose, California

75 months ago

I guess somewhere around 11 to 13 buck per hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

How much the personal banker get paid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Why do some people apply for personal banker instead of teller? What do personal banker do that teller don't do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

If the personal bankers get paid $11 or $13, why do people want to apply for personal banker position instead of teller? Do personal bankers have more responsibities?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Why do people apply for personal banker instead of teller if the money they get don't much that much different?

74 months ago

What position did you apply for? and do you have any advice I should say or not say?

Thanks!

74 months ago

Well for those of you applying for any of the banking related jobs (Teller, Personal Banker, Loan officer,etc) the best advice is to emphasize your selling skills and skills related to selling (customer service, listening, diagnosing a problem and presenting solutions). Above all, show your initiative in this area. For example, if you set your own sales goals, or went above and beyond what was required for a sale.

In the end, remember this IS a sales job, not a customer service job. Yes you should have some customer service abilities too, but they want sellers above all else.

The commissions and bonuses for your sales are all right from what I saw. I think they are going more towards individual rather than store wide goals now too, which I think is more fair. I don't see why if you signed up 100 accounts and Joe Schmoe only signed 2, you shouldn't receive your bonus.

Anyhow, I'm on the accounting side now, so don't know too much about what's going on with the banking side anymore. But I did interview for that stuff last month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

When they ask you "why do want to work for Wellsfargo? or why should I hire you? what would be a good answer for this one?

Thanks a lot for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

leeKah in Rapid City, South Dakota

74 months ago

Does anyone know what a PB makes in the Denver area???
Thank you guys for all the comments, this has been super-helpful!!!

74 months ago

I've heard about $12 as a base, with commissions and bonuses on top of that (assuming you are good at financial sales).

Bradly in Oceanside, California

72 months ago

hey guys i just got finished with my interview today, and i was wondering how long does it usually take for the interviewers to call back reguarding weather you got the job or not? i feel like i did a good job, haha a little shakey but over it was good. the interview process was intimidating, everyone looked like professionals, and u have to remember that all eyes are on you haha. but just suck it up and do what u gotta do, be yourself, show them good qualitites!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jay winters in Beaverton, Oregon

72 months ago

can anyone please tell me the 1800 #, i had it but lost it, i need to call them to complete the phone screening, thanks!!

Bradly in Oceanside, California

72 months ago

jay winters in Beaverton, Oregon said: can anyone please tell me the 1800 #, i had it but lost it, i need to call them to complete the phone screening, thanks!!

go ahead n send me your email, JAY WINTERS i have the number, but this site wont let me post the number up

kulsoom in Fresno, California

71 months ago

Hey every one i was offered a job with wells farfo 2 weeks ago, they said they were waiting on my background check, but i been here in united states for two and half years, so they need to do international background check do any one know how long it take it's been around 7-8 days. and how does that work. when shuld i expect a call from them.

71 months ago

Bradly in Oceanside, California said: hey guys i just got finished with my interview today, and i was wondering how long does it usually take for the interviewers to call back reguarding weather you got the job or not? i feel like i did a good job, haha a little shakey but over it was good. the interview process was intimidating, everyone looked like professionals, and u have to remember that all eyes are on you haha. but just suck it up and do what u gotta do, be yourself, show them good qualitites!

They call when they are done with all the interviews one of my friends gt call a week after, but i gt call the same day but i will suggest you to give them a call back to see ur status it really work do that way, rather than waiting.

Reener in San Jose, California

71 months ago

Hey everyone. I had done both group interview and the interview with the 3 managers and they said they would get back to me shortly. A week after my interview (still no call) I called and was told that my interviewer was on vacation and I should hear back on Monday (today). I haven't got a call yet and am starting to get really nervous so I was just wondering in anyone out there had any advice. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Reener in San Jose, California said: Hey everyone. I had done both group interview and the interview with the 3 managers and they said they would get back to me shortly. A week after my interview (still no call) I called and was told that my interviewer was on vacation and I should hear back on Monday (today). I haven't got a call yet and am starting to get really nervous so I was just wondering in anyone out there had any advice. :)

I am at same Position i been waiting for them almost over two weeks, i am waiting for background check, they offered the job i was hoping to get call today but i didn't. I am getting nervous too. i know it didn't help you but just letting you know u r not the only one, my managers r on vacation too.

71 months ago

kulsoom in Fresno, California said: I am at same Position i been waiting for them almost over two weeks, i am waiting for background check, they offered the job i was hoping to get call today but i didn't. I am getting nervous too. i know it didn't help you but just letting you know u r not the only one, my managers r on vacation too.

Thank you :) it does help a little. Do you think they would do a background check without asking?

71 months ago

Reener in San Jose, California said: Thank you :) it does help a little. Do you think they would do a background check without asking?

Did they took your social security than they might,They took my social security and some other datas and ya one form of ID ,but believe me if they choose some one else they would have emailed you, but they didn't so u have a chance.Just donot leave ur present job as I did.

71 months ago

Reener in San Jose, California said: Thank you :). I don't have a job. Actually this would be my first job :) But i did deny an offer because of this one haha. And thank you. I've been checking my email for a rejection mail and like you said still none. So I am just waiting.

As for the background check info, they haven't asked me for any info. So I guess they can't be doing that :) So I'll just keep waiting. Maybe call back in a couple of days.

Thank you again =)

Ha Ha thts allright :) I will do the same I am planning to call on 1st of jan, I will keep writing here though.

71 months ago

Sounds great :). Keep me updated haha.

71 months ago

Reener in San Jose, California said: Sounds great :). Keep me updated haha.

U know what i am starting tommorow :)woooohooooo now i know international background check take 3 weeks and 4 if itis holiday season mann what a relief. wats up with you did u get the call.

71 months ago

kulsoom in Fresno, California said: U know what i am starting tommorow :)woooohooooo now i know international background check take 3 weeks and 4 if itis holiday season mann what a relief. wats up with you did u get the call.

I actually haven't got the call yet and I tried to call and the lady wasn't in the office. So I'm still waiting...we'll see +) Congratulations on geting the job :D

71 months ago

I didn't get it. Somehow they say I didn't pass the "initial" screening, even though I had 2 different interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

OHHH, U know what i applied at 8 places than gt this one. u can apply again but let me tell you what one of friends did she caled in when she gt rejected and asked what qualities she lacked for job. than after 2 months they called her and higher her for another opening. If u want u can try it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

You know what I don't get though? Why would they call it "initial" screening when it was 2 interviews already. Because I would think that initial would mean the first one but not after the 3 managers interview.

71 months ago

Reener in San Jose, California said: You know what I don't get though? Why would they call it "initial" screening when it was 2 interviews already. Because I would think that initial would mean the first one but not after the 3 managers interview.

Hmm, Okay in my case two people interviewed me at the same time. And tht was it, but i did applied for teller may be tht is why. If u want i can ask some one at my work about the whole process. What position did you applied for.

71 months ago

I applied for teller. First I had a group interview where there was 8 people interviewed by a recruiter or head of the recruitement. And then I had my second interview where 3 managers interviewed me. And a lot of people here posted that after that interview you are pretty much guaranteed a job.

71 months ago

That is strange. I mean i think every place have it's own process. Call them and ask them what qualities you lacked it will lead a good impression it do work. And in my case i was the only one interviewed there was one girl before me and they had another one after me. but i did not had gp interview or anything.

71 months ago

I replied to their email that I just got. Asking which qualities I lacked. Here is the email I got:

Thank you for your interest. We value the time you've taken to share your background and experience with us. The initial screening indicates there was not a match between your background and our needs.

You will be eligible to reapply 6 months after your original screening date. Until then, we encourage you to explore other opportunities with Wells Fargo by visiting our careers site at www.wellsfargo.com/careers. The online profile you created has been stored. If you elected to have your profile status "Searchable," we may contact you if your background fits our ever-changing needs. So, please keep your information current.

Thank you again for your interest in Wells Fargo. We wish you success with your career pursuits.

Sincerely,

Wells Fargo Recruitment

71 months ago

Ohh OKAY it is 7:48 so wells is closed and recruiters are gone home this is an automated message. what u gt is an rejection email tht was what i gt in my previous application. If i would be you i will personally call. You donot have to. You seem pretty smart u can get another job for sure.

71 months ago

Where should I call though? I have that 1-800 number that they sent in the initial email and then I also have the number of a personal recruiter. And if it's an automated message why would they take so long to automatically send it haha

71 months ago

WELL when u applied there has to be an the store name and location. As u were screening for job at that store. google it and find the local store number. Call and ask for manager.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.