Fake JOB

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 110)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

hawkins

92 months ago

This as with most jobs that temp agencies post, is a fake job. They had a similar one posted a few weeks ago that I placed my resume for and called several times to follow up. They never returned my call. Hmmm....lets post a fake job so that we can get candidates into our database. Get a clue temp staffing agencies, we're onto your game!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Ashaway, Rhode Island

92 months ago

Robert Half does the same thing & are the WORST. I ignore all agency listings, no matter how good they sound - 99.9% of them are fake. Maybe one day all the agencies will shut down!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bhomer in Somersworth, New Hampshire

92 months ago

Not only do temp agencies do this, but companies do it as well. A perfect example of this is Home Depot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cadguy in Whitestone, New York

92 months ago

I have seen this soo many times. It's not only agencies as Bhomer states. Regular companies do this to give the impression that their company is doing well to investors or competitors or just to build their resume database.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jan in San Leandro, California

92 months ago

I know for a fact that this position is real since I am one of the recruiters. The position is still open and we are still accepting resumes. We receive quite a few resumes everyday, and I wish we could reply to every single candidate who apply to each position but that would take us away from filling open positions. If you've applied for this position and feel that your qualifications and skills fit the job description, please send me your cover letter, salary history, and a word doc of your resume.

As a recruiter I look for the quality of each candidate, not quantity. We actually take the time to interview each qualified candidate, get to know them, and listen to to what is is they're looking for in their next position.

hawkins said: This as with most jobs that temp agencies post, is a fake job. They had a similar one posted a few weeks ago that I placed my resume for and called several times to follow up. They never returned my call. Hmmm....lets post a fake job so that we can get candidates into our database. Get a clue temp staffing agencies, we're onto your game!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Long Time Employee, Outplaced in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

92 months ago

Jan said: I know for a fact that this position is real since I am one of the recruiters. The position is still open and we are still accepting resumes. We receive quite a few resumes everyday, and I wish we could reply to every single candidate who apply to each position but that would take us away from filling open positions. If you've applied for this position and feel that your qualifications and skills fit the job description, please send me your cover letter, salary history, and a word doc of your resume.
As a recruiter I look for the quality of each candidate, not quantity. We actually take the time to interview each qualified candidate, get to know them, and listen to to what is is they're looking for in their next position.

Got a real question for you about sending salary history. I have been told more than once that I was not considered for a position because they "could not meet my previous salay". Umm - if I was getting that before, why wouldn't I be worth it for the next job? That is, why can't a person between jobs get paid for what they're worth?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gadiva15 in Atlanta, Georgia

92 months ago

I hate employment agencies. It is a waste of time and money to even answer their ads. I had 2 interviews with agencies this week. One sounded like it had a job on the spot. I called today and left a message and have not received a call back. The other one was just filling up its data base so when the calls come in they will have a list of "potential" employees to fill the positions. What a crock of chit...

I needed a job six months ago...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Small Town near Big Town in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

92 months ago

Cadguy said: I have seen this soo many times. It's not only agencies as Bhomer states. Regular companies do this to give the impression that their company is doing well to investors or competitors or just to build their resume database.

What's a Bohmer state?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Small Town near Big Town in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

92 months ago

gadiva15 said: I hate employment agencies. It is a waste of time and money to even answer their ads. I had 2 interviews with agencies this week. One sounded like it had a job on the spot. I called today and left a message and have not received a call back. The other one was just filling up its data base so when the calls come in they will have a list of "potential" employees to fill the positions. What a crock of chit...
I needed a job six months ago...

One thing I've tried to do is print out descriptions of jobs found on searches and ask the recruiter, what about this job or that job. From this, I have found out whether the recruiter was really reviewing jobs or just padding their database. You can get a feel of if companies/recruiters are padding or actively looking. In my experience, if they are aware of other jobs out there, they are actively looking.

Compare the job descriptions with your resume. If you see a common word, phrase, etc., , highlight your printout and update your resume accordingly so that your resume is "caught" in their searches. The resume I used 15 years ago is not the one I have now.
Recruiters, staffing agencies, etc. are businesses and probably have the same 20/80 rule, 20% of the business cause 80% of the problems. Just have to have perseverance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JK in Des Plaines, Illinois

92 months ago

Actually there is probably some degree of truth in each of the above replies. While it is unfortunate that all too often a job is posted without a complete guarantee that the job is open, there can be many reasons for this. The end client might be looking to pad their database of potential candidates for potential upcoming jobs in the cheapest manner possible - in which case they release a job order to numerous agencies and request resumes of the best three potential candidates and then they file the replies in their database for later (possibly six months or more) use. The agency might be looking to pad their candidate database - along the same lines as above. The recruiter may be totally unaware that the job is "not real" and not meant to be filled within 14-28 days. Some recruiters take the approach that candidates understand that they will not get a response unless they are the ideal candidate. Some recruiters try to stay in touch with folks. Your best bet is to talk to the recruiter and get a good feel for where they sit in all of this. Then, if you are comfortable with the recruiter, ask for an expected timeframe and also for a "roadmap" of how the process will play out - complete with details on follow up and timing. There is no need to give them references at this point - that comes when you are closer to a bona fide job offer. I would suggest that anyone who might be interested in this posting take Jan up on the contact, with the expectation that if Jan does not get back to you that you then post that fact in a public forum like this. I would also suggest that if Jan does follow up as promised, that you then also post that. This way if folks can find a recruiter that delivers on promises then everyone wins. In my case I would welcome contact from Jan, however by the same token the pay listed on this position may be on the low side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Still Pursuing in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

92 months ago

Why do some agencies REQUIRE my personal info, SS#, driver's license #, etc. even before I have been selected as a candidate for review by client. I shouldn't be credit/history screened before a real job is available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JK in Des Plaines, Illinois

92 months ago

There is no legitimate reason that an agency will require your SS#, DL# etc. If the end client requires that info it should be with a job offer pending and that info should be requested by the end client. Under no circumstances would I work with an agency that required that level of information before a job offer is extended. If the job offer is contingent on a satisfactory drug screen or credit check, then the offer should still be extended pending satisfaction of successful passing. It is up to you, but I would take this agency off my list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JustinK in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

92 months ago

JK said: There is no legitimate reason that an agency will require your SS#, DL# etc. If the end client requires that info it should be with a job offer pending and that info should be requested by the end client. Under no circumstances would I work with an agency that required that level of information before a job offer is extended. If the job offer is contingent on a satisfactory drug screen or credit check, then the offer should still be extended pending satisfaction of successful passing. It is up to you, but I would take this agency off my list.

I agree 100%. Not only is it wrong for companies to ask you this before a job offer is pending, it is completely illegal.

Looking for Real Solution in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

92 months ago

PS: This was not a Westaff. It was not a chain I was familiar with. They contacted me to register with them. Now, I'm sorry I spent the 2.5 hours.

Rachael Winfrey in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

I think in getting a job from any of these agencies depends on timing and how recent your skills are. I truly believe that if your over a certain age, you have to work extra harder in finding work because their resumes end up in the trash because their clients probably tell them not to send them anyone over a certain age...who's kidding who.

KR in York, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

I agree with everyone's point of view as well. I no longer associate myself with Agencies nor with Headhunters. Especially Westaff and Aerotek.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LD in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

91 months ago

I have had the experience of where I was contacted by Aerotek and brought in right away to be interviewed for a position that I was "perfect" for. I thought I would definitely get an interview with the actual company because the position needed to be filled ASAP. I left that office and did not hear from them for a month. I did, however, see the very position that the agency contacted me for re-posted on Careerbuilder 1 week after our meeting. They called me again 3 weeks later asking me if I was still interested in the position. I never returned the call because they had lost all credibility with me.

anonymous in Richardson, Texas

91 months ago

Jan said: I know for a fact that this position is real since I am one of the recruiters. The position is still open and we are still accepting resumes. We receive quite a few resumes everyday, and I wish we could reply to every single candidate who apply to each position but that would take us away from filling open positions. If you've applied for this position and feel that your qualifications and skills fit the job description, please send me your cover letter, salary history, and a word doc of your resume.

Not excactly. You all sound really happy and cheerful to get us in the door. Then, after we waste our time thinking we have an opportunity to feed and care for our family (taking tests- with 100% scores, filling out applications and tax forms), you then say: call us each week because we are sooooo busy, we won't have time to always call you (basically, "get lost", we got what we wanted from you)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Richardson, Texas

91 months ago

KR said: I agree with everyone's point of view as well. I no longer associate myself with Agencies nor with Headhunters. Especially Westaff and Aerotek.

Don't go with Robert Half either (Office Team/AccounTemps)

Josey Nelson in La Mirada, California

91 months ago

JK said: There is no legitimate reason that an agency will require your SS#, DL# etc. If the end client requires that info it should be with a job offer pending and that info should be requested by the end client. Under no circumstances would I work with an agency that required that level of information before a job offer is extended. If the job offer is contingent on a satisfactory drug screen or credit check, then the offer should still be extended pending satisfaction of successful passing. It is up to you, but I would take this agency off my list.
For all you out there reading this..it is very legitimate to request SS and D.L doc's without hiring!!! And I guess if you have time to sit on the internet bashing companies, your all not looking for jobs to hard are ya!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Josey Nelson said: For all you out there reading this..it is very legitimate to request SS and D.L doc's without hiring!!! And I guess if you have time to sit on the internet bashing companies, your all not looking for jobs to hard are ya!!

What legitimate reasons are there for requesting this information before hiring someone? To my knowledge it is illegal to gather this information before an offer is extended.

anonymous in Knoxville, Tennessee

91 months ago

They aren't trying to be ethical , they want to "check you out" before they talk to you. You can be honest, etc, but unfor, if your credit is horrible due to some bad luck or you made a mistake when you were a kid, they "count you out". That is why I hate temps! I was pregnant and lost my insurance. Went to the drs to help my new baby and had the state help me. He came early and I was out of the state visiting family (one state away- 2 hrs). Well, I might as well not had insurance. My credit is horrible becuase of it.
If you can, avoid the "Temps". Other "direct" employes only ask you for this info after they made you an offer.

Still Persevering in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

91 months ago

Josey Nelson said: For all you out there reading this..it is very legitimate to request SS and D.L doc's without hiring!!! And I guess if you have time to sit on the internet bashing companies, your all not looking for jobs to hard are ya!!

Joey. If you had actually read the other contents, Justin is a recruiter and has passed on some very credible and HELPFUL information. I am not giving my SS#, DL#, or any other pertinent info without some job pending, just not worth the risk. Also, why should I give this to an agency that is just looking to fill their database? I know that this practice seems to save them time upfront for them, but, how can I be assured my info is maintained and/or destroyed securely?
PS: What type English are using?

okie in Yukon, Oklahoma

91 months ago

hawkins said: This as with most jobs that temp agencies post, is a fake job. They had a similar one posted a few weeks ago that I placed my resume for and called several times to follow up. They never returned my call. Hmmm....lets post a fake job so that we can get candidates into our database. Get a clue temp staffing agencies, we're onto your game!

they say that they do that so they will have applicants when clients call. plus they have to justify their job by being busy. so they take applys.

okie in Yukon, Oklahoma

91 months ago

anonymous said: Robert Half does the same thing & are the WORST. I ignore all agency listings, no matter how good they sound - 99.9% of them are fake. Maybe one day all the agencies will shut down!

the temp agencies will not shutdown as long as companies have no Human Resources department.Its to expensive to have one. it effects their bottom profit margin.

Smoky Bones in Onondaga, Michigan

91 months ago

That mean you got yours? Or are you just sitting on the internet bashing people who are looking for "honest" work, and defending Temp Agencies who got N O T H I N G to backup their claims for legitimate jobs available? Be sure to check back in a week or so to see if all of us have a "real" answer for YOU!

Mike in Colorado Springs, Colorado

91 months ago

The very fact that you left this message kills the very logic of your arguement. So, if you have time to leave smart a$$ remarks to people with legitimate questions on this board means that you must not be looking too hard hard as well. Are you?
As for the SS#, no, I will never give it to an agency. Wake up sir.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Prior Big Co Recruiter in Poway, California

91 months ago

Rachael Winfrey said: I think in getting a job from any of these agencies depends on timing and how recent your skills are. I truly believe that if your over a certain age, you have to work extra harder in finding work because their resumes end up in the trash because their clients probably tell them not to send them anyone over a certain age...who's kidding who.

There is a phrase in some of the BIGGER recruiting firms . . . Light and Bright. Hmmm, that means light on experience . . . which means . . . NOT that you are 50 and just starting the career. People on this site should be more informed about recruiting. Its not a totally bad thing, but it is smoke and mirrors and you should understand the benefits and pitfalls. Employers pay the fee. Employers are King. Candidates (Employees) are not paying the bills (that is you), so do not expect service. I personally won't recruit that way, but EXPECT that at a public, larger company.

Prior Big Co Recruiter in Poway, California

91 months ago

anonymous said:
Not excactly. You all sound really happy and cheerful to get us in the door. Then, after we waste our time thinking we have an opportunity to feed and care for our family (taking tests- with 100% scores, filling out applications and tax forms), you then say: call us each week because we are sooooo busy, we won't have time to always call you (basically, "get lost", we got what we wanted from you)

You are not paying the fee. You are a "widget" provided to the company paying the fee. Go see lots of agencies. I am 100% in favor of both sides, I just see the candidate (employee) getting misled.

Persevering in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

91 months ago

Prior Big Co Recruiter said:
There is a phrase in some of the BIGGER recruiting firms . . . Light and Bright. Hmmm, that means light on experience . . . which means . . . NOT that you are 50 and just starting the career. People on this site should be more informed about recruiting. Its not a totally bad thing, but it is smoke and mirrors and you should understand the benefits and pitfalls. Employers pay the fee. Employers are King. Candidates (Employees) are not paying the bills (that is you), so do not expect service. I personally won't recruit that way, but EXPECT that at a public, larger company.

I have seen at least 3 types of recruiting techniques in the order of majority:
1) Get you in the door, do the tests, and we'll call you if there's an opening. I won't help you with anything, won't return your calls, and if you turn down the crappy job that I offer you as a brick of gold, I won't call you back.
2) Meet with you, quickly review skills, test results, tell YOU what jobs are out there, and consider 50% of what you want in a job - and "put you in a good fit". However, the candidate has to put in the effort to call repeatedly until they actually get someone on the phone. They are working for themselves (commission), company second, and you third. They say they are "interested" but aren't.
3) A few I have found are genuine - and these are the ones I call each week and recommend to others. They meet with you, review skills, tests, and actually listen. They also tell you upfront that they'll assist you with job search and resume. But you need to put forth the same effort.
These are in the 10% range, but, they are worth the extra effort that candidate needs to put forth. These few (maybe 2 out of 15 I've met with) are what keeps me having faith in agencies.

91 months ago

The comment about "service" from agencies adn around "50". I don't expect them to babysit me. However, I do expect to be matched with a job that is at least 75% close to what I want, not 30% and them forwarding my resume for a 20% chance of an interview as a gift !!
Taking a job as a permanent job from an agency, and knowing that you (candidate) will not stay there - is not the right things to do. I'm honest and say, I don't think this is a permanent solution for me.
Why do agencies act so offended when you tell them, no - this does not sound like a job for me. If you have years of experience, you will know what will and won't work for you. No, I don't want to drive 2 hours/day, take 30% cut in pay, and clean offices of clutter (yes, I had a job that turned into that).
I know that I am one of the best and brightest. Almost 20 yrs with company, and they have had 3 sets of layoffs in 5 yrs. And this is a F500 company. Since then, other layoffs. So, why should I take an entry-level just to fulfill the agency's quota.

91 months ago

The comment about "service" from agencies adn around "50". I don't expect them to babysit me. However, I do expect to be matched with a job that is at least 75% close to what I want, not 30% and them forwarding my resume for a 20% chance of an interview as a gift !!
Taking a job as a permanent job from an agency, and knowing that you (candidate) will not stay there - is not the right things to do. I'm honest and say, I don't think this is a permanent solution for me.
Why do agencies act so offended when you tell them, no - this does not sound like a job for me. If you have years of experience, you will know what will and won't work for you. No, I don't want to drive 2 hours/day, take 30% cut in pay, and clean offices of clutter (yes, I had a job that turned into that).
I know that I am one of the best and brightest. Almost 20 yrs with company, and they have had 3 sets of layoffs in 5 yrs. And this is a F500 company. Since then, other layoffs. So, why should I take an entry-level just to fulfill the agency's quota.

sally in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

91 months ago

Still Pursuing said: Why do some agencies REQUIRE my personal info, SS#, driver's license #, etc. even before I have been selected as a candidate for review by client. I shouldn't be credit/history screened before a real job is available.

This is not on behalf of the agency listed, but with the agency I am associated with. The reasonthe information is required up front, is for several reasons. Have you ever heard of people working illegally? Well the agency does not want the liability of this, therefore before you are offered any position, you are screened. The I-9 form which is a government form is requested by all employers, not only temp agencies. Why would you go through all the paperwork, interview, and then we find out you are not legal in the US. As far as a credit check, I don't know why someone would care what your credit is. We do ask for checking information but only if youwant direct deposit. There are many many factors which go into the hiring process which a person who does not work in staffing industry would not understand. Unfortunatly there are people who are dishonest which ruins it for everyone. But understand you would not want the liability on yourself as the company does not want it on them. We cannot discriminate against criminal background, although our client has the right to request a clear background. Think about things before you are so quick to judge and assume everyone is out to get you! Contrary to your belief we like to help!

Sunny Days in Fayetteville, North Carolina

91 months ago

sally said:
This is .. Have you ever heard of people working illegally? Well the agency does not want the liability of this, therefore before you are offered any position, you are screened. The I-9 form which is a government form is requested by all employers, not only temp agencies. ... As far as a credit check, I don't know why someone would care what your credit is... There are many many factors which go into the hiring process which a person who does not work in staffing industry would not understand. Unfortunatly there are people who are dishonest which ruins it for everyone. But understand you would not want the liability on yourself as the company does not want it on them. We cannot discriminate against criminal background, although our client has the right to request a clear background. Think about things before you are so quick to judge and assume everyone is out to get you! Contrary to your belief we like to help!

Have you ever heard of "Identity Theft ?" Talk about getting on your high horse and being quick to judge. Yes, it is the few that are dishonest, however, I'd rather have a recruiter turn be down this show disrepsect for my rights and with me than taking the risk. Getting your credit correct again, even after one instance, can cost thousands and years to correct. I don't think anyone is out to get me, that is a juvenile comment.

Two other recruiters from large companies have said I do not have to provide this information before a job offer. I am educated enough to be cautious. As for credit check, be realistic, quite a few companies DO use credit scores as part of hiring process.

As for "There are many many factors which go into the hiring process which a person who does not work in staffing industry would not understand." What a condescending remark. Do you really think candidates are that stupid?
PS: How's Pleasanton?

Sunny Days in Fayetteville, North Carolina

91 months ago

Hmm - something went awry.

I'd rather have a recruiter turn me down and show disrepsect for my rights and with me than taking the risk. One office I went to had 3 SS cards attached to applications and left on someone's desk in clear view of anyone who came into their office. You did have to be "buzzed" into the office, but, the cards were in clear view.

91 months ago

sally said:
This is not on behalf of the agency listed, but with the agency I am associated with. The reasonthe information is required up front, is for several reasons. Have you ever heard of people working illegally? Well the agency does not want the liability of this, therefore before you are offered any position, you are screened. The I-9 form which is a government form is requested by all employers, not only temp agencies. Why would you go through all the paperwork, interview, and then we find out you are not legal in the US. As far as a credit check, I don't know why someone would care what your credit is. We do ask for checking information but only if youwant direct deposit. There are many many factors which go into the hiring process which a person who does not work in staffing industry would not understand. Unfortunatly there are people who are dishonest which ruins it for everyone. But understand you would not want the liability on yourself as the company does not want it on them. We cannot discriminate against criminal background, although our client has the right to request a clear background. Think about things before you are so quick to judge and assume everyone is out to get you! Contrary to your belief we like to help!

Hi Sally, I do understand the staffing industry since I am also a recruiter. Before this position, I have worked in human resources and have my PHR certification. I will repeat again. It is ILLEGAL to ask for a candidates SS # before a job offer is pending. It may save you time to ask for it upfront, but it is illegal. Instead of doing that, ask if they are authorized to work in the US. If they say yes, you have to take their word for it until a job offer is pending and you can check their SS card. There has been a ton of SS reform this past year because of identity theft. If you want to check out articles on it, go to www.shrm.org (Society for Human Resource Management).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Sunny Days said: Hmm - something went awry.
I'd rather have a recruiter turn me down and show disrepsect for my rights and with me than taking the risk. One office I went to had 3 SS cards attached to applications and left on someone's desk in clear view of anyone who came into their office. You did have to be "buzzed" into the office, but, the cards were in clear view.
That I admit is completly unacceptable! All of the paperwork we take is put into locked files. As a matter of fact we have 2 files on each employee. One is kept in an accessable file, and the other with confidential info is locked.

91 months ago

Sunny Days said:
Have you ever heard of "Identity Theft ?" Talk about getting on your high horse and being quick to judge. Yes, it is the few that are dishonest, however, I'd rather have a recruiter turn be down this show disrepsect for my rights and with me than taking the risk. Getting your credit correct again, even after one instance, can cost thousands and years to correct. I don't think anyone is out to get me, that is a juvenile comment.
Two other recruiters from large companies have said I do not have to provide this information before a job offer. I am educated enough to be cautious. As for credit check, be realistic, quite a few companies DO use credit scores as part of hiring process.
As for "There are many many factors which go into the hiring process which a person who does not work in staffing industry would not understand." What a condescending remark. Do you really think candidates are that stupid?
Nobody said you are stupid at all! I'm sure there are things you know about your profession I don't know, just like there are things about staffing people wouldn't know. And I'm sorry but you do answer quite rude. Apparently you are reading in a different tone than I am writing!

91 months ago

Sunny Days said:
As far as the juvenile comment, which by the way it wasn't meant at all. The way you answer with hostility, why wouldn't I think you were thinking someone was out to get you!

Small Town near Big Town in Fayetteville, North Carolina

91 months ago

JustinK said:
Hi Sally, I do understand the staffing industry since I am also a recruiter. Before this position, I have worked in human resources and have my PHR certification. I will repeat again. It is ILLEGAL to ask for a candidates SS # before a job offer is pending. It may save you time to ask for it upfront, but it is illegal. Instead of doing that, ask if they are authorized to work in the US. If they say yes, you have to take their word for it until a job offer is pending and you can check their SS card. There has been a ton of SS reform this past year because of identity theft. If you want to check out articles on it, go to www.shrm.org (Society for Human Resource Management).

JK - Thanks again for the info and backup. Getting these type info really helps job seekers out tremendously. Solid information is so empowering.

91 months ago

Hey, not a problem I love to help out potential job seekers. If anyone wants any information on staffing companies or employment stuff in general, you can also visit our forums www.tekshak.com (Our technical forums).

Please keep in mind that we just set these up a few days ago so there is no one registered as of yet, except some of our employees. Feel free to hop in and chat as a guest, or register if you would like. I'm the admin for the boards, so I will see your posts and be able to respond fairly quickly to any questions.

Thanks again, and hope to see you all on our forums :)

Still Positive and Persevering in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

91 months ago

JustinK said: Hey, not a problem I love to help out potential job seekers. If anyone wants any information on staffing companies or employment stuff in general, you can also visit our forums www.tekshak.com (Our technical forums).
Please keep in mind that we just set these up a few days ago so there is no one registered as of yet, except some of our employees. Feel free to hop in and chat as a guest, or register if you would like. I'm the admin for the boards, so I will see your posts and be able to respond fairly quickly to any questions.
Thanks again, and hope to see you all on our forums :)

Good luck to you !!

jks in Sharon, Massachusetts

90 months ago

CC group All Talk, No JOBS

Eric Snider in Cardington, Ohio

90 months ago

This is a real job. I checked into it and sent my resume. The company called me back the same day only for me to turn them down because It was to long of a drive for me. Not only was they fast to respond to my resume but they were very polite to me on the phone. Thanks Eric

Eric Snider in Cardington, Ohio

90 months ago

This is a real job. I checked into it and sent my resume. The company called me back the same day only for me to turn them down because It was to long of a drive for me. Not only was they fast to respond to my resume but they were very polite to me on the phone. Thanks Eric

Oh? in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

90 months ago

JustinK said:
.. ILLEGAL to ask for a candidates SS # before a job offer is pending. .. can check their SS card. There has been a ton of SS reform this past year because of identity theft. If you want to check out articles on it, go to www.shrm.org (Society for Human Resource Management).

Justin,
Got a curve ball for you. I interviewed with someone this past Saturday, thru agency, and this guy wanted a written note allowing: DMV, credit, and criminal backgrounds, along with setting up a psychological and drug test. Talked with recruiter and his comment was that "most companies are doing this now." He told me how he'd been burnt by previous employees.
First off, this is not a direct hire; he was looking to fill 3 different positions.
He also said he would buy out my contract early and flinched when I asked for the median salary, the web offer was around $9K less than what most here make.
I'm an Exec Admin - he also wanted a Marketing Coordinator, wanted me leaern the whole scope of company and "generate revenue" .. by doing sales in the field, and be available on Saturdays when he might need me to come in to work.
And, he seemed to enjoy gawking at me.
I told recruiter on Mon that I would not take job: health insurance too high, being flexible did not include 2 Sat/month, and that I did not do sales. The recruiter's comment was that this was a great opportunity and would look great on my resume. The client was plain creepy.
Is there, or should I take any action against the recruiter? He should have never put me in that type situation. Recruiter had not worked with this company in 10 yrs and the present receptionist there (fr agency) wants out.

90 months ago

Hello Oh?,

I would not give the person interviewing you anything. If they tried to make you, I might put a complaint in with the EEOC. These companies will not learn otherwise, and it is good so there will be a record if this happens again in the future to another candidate. He was trying to collect a ton of illegal information on you there. Not only would he have the SS number, he would have age, race, along with a ton of other illegal information. Not to mention the drug screen and the psych evaluation, that's getting into ADA (American with Disabilities Act) violations. For the recruiter saying most companies are doing this now, that is just flat out wrong.

I don't think that there would be any action that you could take against the recruiter. Seems like the recruiter has bad judgment and is looking at the bottom line and not whats best for you.

Bottom line if you thought the manager was creepy, don't take the position. Don't let the recruiter pressure you into taking it. It may be a great opportunity, but would you be happy going into work everyday and doing that job?
Hope that helps you.

Justin

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to visit us on our new forums. www.tekshak.com

Joe Kurtzke - aka JK in Des Plaines, Illinois

90 months ago

If the written note to allow a DMV, credit, and criminal background checks was required with an offer in hand pending successful completion to all, and if the psychological and drug tests were also part of this deal - again with an offer in hand made subject to acceptable results, then it is legal. If there was no bona fide offer contingent on the results, then it was not legal although it does happen more often than one would like, and is likely non-actionable.

Would the contract buyout be put in writing, along with the written offer contingent upon successful completion of the tests? Would your rate be high enough to cover all three responsibilities? Would you charge an additional amount for an early buyout? Would you also charge more for the 2 weekends a month on call? Did the recruiter, potential employer or you bring up the early buyout?

When you say that he seemed to enjoy gawking at you and that he was just plain creepy, was this as a result of any direct comment or action on his part? Were there any inappropriate questions or actions during the interview? If not you probably have no case.

Did you speak with the admin who wanted out to find out why?

All things considered, this is probably not a company you want to work for - no matter how good it would look on your resume. You might also seriously reconsider working with this particular recruiter. The recruiter was just doing a job, apparently, and there was no apparent illegal actions taken by presenting you for this position. While you probably have no legal case, word of mouth to others, (without slander, etc.), would likely fit the situation.

Still Persuing in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

90 months ago

The part I missed, he wanted me to fax this to the office. There is no telling who would have picked it up. There was no legitimate wirtten offer in hand. This was a Saturday and I couldn't contact recruiter. I know this may have sounded like ranting, however, I have been sexually harassed before, hands around waist, side remarks, suggestive remarks, etc. I had on a business suit with below knee skirt. He had even brought up that his sales staff know better than to sexually harass. Enough of that. I get riled because it is just plain disrespectful.
The buyout on contract was totally from employer. I told him that usually you work 3 months and his response was that "believe me, they'll take it. You let me work with them on that." He also wanted me to "communicate directly with him" and not through the agency. I had told him twice that I had other jobs pending and could not give an answer until Friday.
Thanks for the backup and the note about getting everything in writing. Had not done that before, but, in this day/time, need to.
Thanks again. I'm off for 2 days of inteviews.

Tired of Staffing Agencies in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

90 months ago

It's been the same with me. I've applied to many positions over the internet, had been called by a recruiter from Contemporary Staffing stating they were helping out the company. When I got to the agency, they told me the position was placed on hold and asked me to fill out an application. I think staffing agencies should be called to the floor for false advertising. I was on unemployment until I was able to find something and at this time, I am making less than half of what I'm able to live on.

You tell the temp agencies that you need to make a certain amount of money an hour, then they call you with a job $3-$4 less an hour. When you're desperate, what are you supposed to do. I accepted the position because my unemployment ran out. I then went on the staffing agency's web site and saw another ad for an AA position, whose salary was well within my range. When I called my representative, I was told, "Oh, that was only a week-long assignment -- it's not available anymore," only to see that three weeks later, it's still posted.

I think they should be brought up on charges for false advertising (IMHO). What a brazen act of lack of morals, all to meet their quotas and get bonuses.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.