How to get a job at Whole Foods Market.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Host

Do you work at Whole Foods Market? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

RKA in Portland, Oregon in Portland, Oregon

87 months ago

Go to wholefoods.com and select career's. From there you'll be able to find and apply for any job at whole foods that you may be interested in. If your application meets the specific requirements of the job, then someone will contact you to come in for a screening. And if you pass that you'll be well on your way to a job at Whole Foods.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (141) / No (92) Reply - Report abuse

kunchok in Brooklyn, New York

85 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Whole Foods Market? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

i need to application online

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Vlad in Framingham, Massachusetts said: I don't understand -- is it so difficult to get a job at Whole Foods, that one would need to post here ?

absolutely not!...Whole Foods has a 80 percent turnover rate. So new employee's are hired just about every day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Deedee in Plainsboro, New Jersey

84 months ago

RKA in Portland, Oregon in Portland, Oregon said: absolutely not!...Whole Foods has a 80 percent turnover rate. So new employee's are hired just about every day.

Why is their turnover rate so high?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Frantasia in Boulder, Colorado

84 months ago

Turn over in all retail grocery environments is typically very high, it's the nature of the environment. That said, WFM's leadership turn over is lower than industry average.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Frantasia in Boulder, Colorado said: Turn over in all retail grocery environments is typically very high, it's the nature of the environment. That said, WFM's leadership turn over is lower than industry average.

Just ask Whole Food's Market if they think 8 out of 10 of their employee's are quiting do to the "nature of the environment." Especially when you consider the feedback of exit interviews taken from those you have left WFM. Whole Foods is not your typical establishment. Anyone who has worked there knows that. 80 percent is not average. That percentage includes, corporate, leadership, and TM. I work in Leadship, and feel as do my other leadship brothers and sisters do, that we {whole foods market} can do better to ensure the happiness, and success of our team members.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

south2nd in Los angeles, California

79 months ago

The turnover rate is high because Whole Foods is an incredibly horrible place to work. Their new policy is to hire cheap, inexperienced labor, and overwork them until they storm out. The management was just plain bad, and morale is nonexistant. IF you really want a job, all you have to do is be willing to work for $9 hour and be a little more stupid than your manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (109) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

SnapDad in Austin, Texas

78 months ago

Morale at most stores is awful. Regional leadership has put so much pressure on Store team leaders that they will do just about anything to keep their jobs and/or get promoted. Each year whole foods does a morale survey and I seriously doubt they consider a single item in the book that they publish when its all done. I personally read it and its awful. There's very little training and those who do finally make it to leadership positions, unless you're in a top 10 store, forget going any further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

chris mulvaney in westbury, New York

75 months ago

hey whats up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (54) Reply - Report abuse

rusmos jormal in tyler, Texas

67 months ago

Whole Foods has high politics that get rid of employees like flies.So just stay low and do your job. You as an employee have no say, though they say it is open door but you will be black listed if you use it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

cancandez in Mesa, Arizona

66 months ago

prettybaby198 in La Grange, California said: whole foods does not have a high turn over rate and we are # 22 on forbes best 100 companys to work for this year i've work for whole foods for almost 10 years it is a great place to work i love what i do and as with anything it about what you bring to the table. show your passion bring your joy to the to the app. process,

Thank You! Well put, prettybaby198! Whole Foods seems like it is a terrific company to work for ...a few months ago I did some preliminary online research about Whole Foods' business philosophy, and I am now so pleased to read your post about how much you love your job there.
I agree with you. I believe it always is about what you bring to the table. Along with being competent, please be passionate, positive and pleasant.
I don't work for Whole Foods yet, but I do have excellent retail and customer service experience, and am looking forward to investigating any opportunities where my talents and passions could contribute to their success. I'm excited!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

ccsteffen in Graham, North Carolina

62 months ago

You can find out how to get a job at Whole Foods in this article on ehow.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

achixanthem in Miami Beach, Florida

62 months ago

If you get hired at Whole Foods in the US, can you transfer to work in the UK after a certain time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

finding work in Oakland, California

59 months ago

prettybaby198 in La Grange, California said: whole foods does not have a high turn over rate and we are # 22 on forbes best 100 companys to work for this year i've work for whole foods for almost 10 years it is a great place to work i love what i do and as with anything it about what you bring to the table. show your passion bring your joy to the to the app. process,

hi how to get a job there? i have applied to various places but none.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Keen in Somewhere, California

54 months ago

This is how you can get a job at WFM

First: Create an online profile
Second: Under times and dates for work; put the opening and closing hours of the store since you are demonstrating that you are flexible(even if the job is part-time). When you get hired, you will have the chance to modify your schedule.
Third: Get out there! Meet the team members of your dept. of interest. Talk to the STL (store team leader, if you can) and team leader within the department of interest. Be courteous, be yourself and state how you can improve and or how your candidacy would be of interest to the Team Leader; please DO NOT SAY I LOVE ORGANIC FOOD. You should explain how organic and natural foods/vitamins, fish, etc., are proper choices. After this statement, you can talk about how organic/natural foods are your lifestyle, if not, explain that you are willing to know more about natural/organic food choices.
Fourth: Give a courtesy call, this applies not only to wholefoods but to all companies you will apply to in the future. When you call, ask for the TL or ATL, make sure they give you updates on the interviews.
Fifth: When you get called for the interview, thank them...like any other job offer or interview.

INTERVIEW:

Bring you resume, references, and cover letter.

You don't have to be very dressy, you can have slacks, a skirt, a blouse...keep it simple. Be cheery not cheesy, be yourself but try not to be a pain in the @$$

They will ask you to give a brief description of yourself. Please explain your life experiences thoroughly but only talk about things which are important to know about you; stating that your grandmother passed away will not win their affection. Be aggressive but do not overdue it; keep constant eye contact and make your personality shine. They will ask about customer service: answer the question and give a time that your customer service skills were utilized.
When you are answering the questions, please answer them in full sentences

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (139) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

wfmteammember in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

52 months ago

I have been a Whole Foods Team Member since 2001, and I can tell you exactly how they get on the Fortune List: They send out a mass email asking for "Team Member Stories about working for Whole Foods Market" to be sent to Team Member Services. These are then "screened for relevence" before being sent by Whole Foods Corporate Office to Fortune Magazine. This process is repeated every year. So, while readers are led to believe that Fortune Magazine is inundated every year with letters from Happy Team Members, the only ones that actually send these letters in are those with access to company email, ie Department Management and above. I say that if you really want to shed some light on how Whole Foods REALLY treats their employees, talk to those that aren't in their position as a result of nepotism. You will find that those Team Members are few and far between.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

level in Glendale Heights, Illinois

52 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Whole Foods Market? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I would be very careful about assuming every Whole Foods is the same. Leadership is very important and I had a rather bad experience at one particular store.

I was called in for an interview not too long ago and the first went extremely well. I was thrilled and ready to kick it in high gear for this company that I respect for their dedication to providing gluten free products and organics... I read a little about John Mackey (they send you info when you apply online) and I thought his dedication was impressive.

Unfortunately the 2nd interview was completely opposite to the first and I cannot explain why. I dressed up in 'interview' casual atire. May be I overdressed or may be I'm too old (in my 40's), or possibly it was the 15 lbs I need to lose, but I could tell from start the man interviewing was not impressed before I even said a word.

I tried to answer everything well but it's difficult when you get that sense from the start. What bothers me still is that he misunderstod me and even raised his voice at me. It's something not typcial in an interview and I even wonder if this was part of the interviewing process to see if you can take it.

This man did not smile once and by the end gave me the most scary death stare that I actually moved back a little. As he stood, his face changed to a more normal look and he held his hand out and said thank you. I don't know what I said or did that was so inappropriate but I think his behavior was out of line. I just gathered up all I had, formed a smile and said thank you and he left. I don't know what to say other than I think it was some misunderstanding I'll probably never know but thought I'd share it. Hopefully your interview will go much, much better. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

kathys65 in Willowbrook, Illinois

50 months ago

I have been applying to both the WF locations in my area for the past eight months, to no avail, and have decided to say "bye-bye" to this particular outfit...

First off, I'm a personal chef by trade, specializing in--get ready for this--whole foods, and have applied for a boatload of positions at both stores, and haven't even gotten ONE phone call! I mean, I buy their products to COOK with, for crying out loud. I know the place like the back of my hand. No, they do not 'owe' me a job because of my profession, but as these stores profess to want knowledgeable folks to work there, wouldn't you think WF and I would be a good match?

Well, Uh-uh... at least, that's the story I'm getting from them.

As regards the applications process, I did everything according to spec, had a good resume, wrote a thoughtful cover letter, etc., etc., but no dice. The HR people in both locations seem to have the same itchy trigger finger when it comes to firing off instant e-mail pink slips. It's like they don't even bother looking at my stuff any more--they just see the name, and hit the killfile.

And, apropos the previous poster, I did have some reservations at first about my age (late 30's, a little overweight), but I've seen borderline seniors working at both stores, so I don't think that's the issue. And, as to my quals, there are LOTS OF 'overqualified' people looking for small jobs and gigs right now. (FYI I worked at Targer last Christmas, and at least half the cashiers had Master's Degrees or were refugees from some impressive jobs.)

Quite frankly, I don't know what is going through the minds of these HR people, and I'm sick of trying to figure it out. They post a boatload of open positions practically every day, and they must be hiring SOMEBODY. And, they always seem to be training a new crew every time I go in there.

Well, anyway, my advice to anyone wanting to work there would be to definitely NOT waste eight months of your time on this place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

kathys65 in Willowbrook, Illinois

48 months ago

Update!! I finally, actually GOT an interview with WF...and, it was, bar none, the WORST interview of my life. Be careful what you wish for...

Basically, one of the stores I'd applied to needed to hire a PT Clerk ASAP for the Bakery Department...seems this store is experiencing a high volume, and they needed another pair of hands to put the par-baked bread into the oven. So, they fished out one of my old submittals, and gave me a call. I was floored!

The interview, however, was conducted IN THE STORE'S CAFE AT LUNCH HOUR...yep. Little kids whining and running between the tables, that sort of thing. But, I tried to do my best.

The interviewers (Store TL, DM)thought interviwing consists of acting superior/smarmy, putting you on the spot with pseudo-"clever" questions (the answers to which they responded with a shared, superior smile), and treating a candidate's past job record as somehow trivial compared to a lordly clerk's position at the exalted WF.

Yeah, you got it. Not only was I treated like I wasn't politically correct enough, I was also treated haughtily and rudely, like an ignorant 'job beggar' who couldn't possibly know anything as well as they. What a couple of clowns. And, their standards were appalling. Both had on chef's jackets that were so grimy, you'd have assumed they were mining coal and not working in a bakery. Trust me, they'd have been bounced from any professional kitchen in a snap.

And, the store HAS an upstairs office. Making me sit on a cafe table and swivel my head back and forth between two interrogators who sat on either side of me, rather than in front of me, during the lunch rush was just plain nasty.

Needless to say, I left, graciously, to the credit of the folks who raised me, but secretly very POd.

The next day, I got the rejection call I'd expected. Of course, they went with someone more 'experienced' in putting frozen bread loaves on trays and waiting for a bell to go off. Uh huh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (127) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

STM in San Francisco, California

46 months ago

I have worked at Whole Foods for 6 years. I have 13 years experience in restaurants, catering, and education (culinary). The reality is that no company is perfect, no store within a company is perfect, and no job is perfect.

There are legitimate concerns with WFM as an employer, as there are legitimate concerns with EVERY company. Those who complain about one experience and apply it to an entire company lack perspective. Just because you didn't have a good experience doesn't mean the company overall is flawed.

As others have pointed out, leadership is extremely important. There are good managers, and bad ones. I challenge anyone to find a company where that isn't the case. Companies and individuals who are overall successful will always have critics who try and take them down. Would the critic/jobseeker on this board be complaining had he/she got a job? Is the disgruntled employee still receiving a paycheck that doesn't bounce and health insurance for his/her family?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

level in Glendale Heights, Illinois

46 months ago

kathys65 --- The Willowbrook store was the one I was interviewed at as well. And yes, they did interviews in the lunch area, out in the open. Recall I said the manager interviewing me gave me the 'death stare' at the end of the interview. When he started to stand to leave, he changed his expression. That's because the customers sitting behind me (in the lunch area) could see his face when he stood up and of course he did not want customers to see the expression he gave to me. Your experience was so similiar to my own regarding the interview. Also, I haven't removed my automatic notice from indeed so I still get cashier positions in the area sent to me via email. And I have noticed that particular Willowbrook store often posts for hire. STM poster from California said that each store is different. That is very true but it is difficult for anyone (interviewee or customer) to forget that kind of an experience at a store and that's why companies try to instill in their employees (that includes managers) to treat people with respect. It's important to realize when you work for a store that you represent the company. Good news for me is that within a week I was hired at a local retail store and am doing extremely well. Since I have a 4 year degree, never call in sick, and have gone above and beyond what's expected (including utilizing my marketing skills), I'm already being considered for a promotion into a mangement position. It feels good to stand out in that way but wish the economy would get better soon. I'd probably be in my field if the job market wasn't so bad but have to say 'it's fun' working for a retail store where I look forward to seeing my fellow worker bees and the mangement as well. Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

WholeFoodsGirl in San Francisco, California

46 months ago

I have worked for this company for 5 years and have had good and bad experiences, but mostly good. When my department recently advertised for a job we had over 50 people apply through the website alone. If you work retail or work at a busy store you KNOW exactly how much time you don't have to respond to every single resume. This is true with any company; you sift through the pile and try to make the best choice. Interviews can be tricky, but they all want to know if you can handle the environment. What better way to test this then having you interview in a busy cafe with lots of distractions?

The person interviewing you is not supposed to be your friend or even nice, they are interviewing you that is all, most interviews are professional and to the point, being overly touchy or defensive won't get you very far. Also being overly cocky or egotistical is a big turn off. If you really want the job send in your application and follow up with a phone call two or three days later with the ATL or TL of the department you want to work for. I am sure most people would accept a resume if you walk in, but don't go in expecting to get an interview on the spot, few of us have time for that.

Lastly consider that there might be better candidates, there may be someone wanting to transfer in from another store or department or someone may be working on getting a friend hired. If you want you can attempt to go into the store and talk to the TL, but remember everyone is very busy and showing up out of the blue and expecting to be given an interview right away is rude and unprofessional.

A lot of people on the forum are bitter because they didn't pass the interview or get called back. Consider re-applying if you see something posted again and use it as a learning experience, maybe you are not as awesome as you think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

Embolden in Brooklyn, New Jersey

45 months ago

I worked for Whole Foods Market for 5 years in the same department. Watching people I trained become "leaders" even though they had very little experience or caring. They usually just let us handle all the details why they stayed in the office and Effed off and then blamed us if things went wrong. I If you are good at what you do, they will make you work harder with less time for tasks.

My first team leader scheduled his off days to be on changeover times, so that his boss would "force" him to come in and get overtime - which ate up all the time available for the rest of us. He was so crooked that all I have to do is mention his name to anyone in the business and they all have stories to tell about him - so of course he was promoted no matter how low a team review he received.

Gain-sharing is a joke because the execs changed the metrics and it just isn't there anymore. It will always be lower than claim. Once you are in management you can do anything and get away with it - be goal oriented.

I made more money before I worked for WF - but took the lower salary because at the time they had a standard 1.00 a year pay increase and good benefits. That dissipated quickly. You essentially have to beg for raises - and beg on schedule, and somehow without leadership explaining or anyone telling you what exactly you "need" to do to get a raise - you magically have to figure out how to get what you rightfully deserve. After working 5 years, I finally made 3.00 more than when I started. 2 Months after leaving the company I have already worked my way up to what I was making before now that I don't work with a high school mentality level of leadership.

You will be forced to work a closing shift followed by an open shift, no matter how far you live, if you have kids or wanted a life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Harryfan815 in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

I know all WFM are not the same and no one should make a decision based on someone else's experience but here is what is happening to me. I applied at WFM on line for a part time job in the produce department. I was called by the Prepared Foods dept and told that the produce team had passed my application along to them because they thought I would be better suited for their dept. I went in for the interview and the job was full time, not part time. I was thrilled when they told me the hours would be 6am-2pm,40 hrs a week with some weekends necessary. The hours and pay,$10/hr, worked fine for me. I was hired and went in for orientation on a Saturday. When I looked at the upcoming schedule I noticed I was listed at 6:30-2:30pm. That was fine with me but I thought it was odd that no one had told me about the change. When I reported for work 2 days later and started training I found out I was put in a different department with different hours and that some nights 2:30pm-10:30pm, would be required eventually!!! When I asked the ATL(assistant team leader) about this he told me they put me in the Deli because I have a good personality. It would have been nice if they had told me first. When I asked about the late hours he told me everyone has to do them eventually. I called the next day to talk to the Team Leader and she told me not to worry about it, it would only be once in a while. I get the feeling I am being lied to since all of the other girls in the dept said it would be at least 2 times a week. I think I will start looking for a new job in the meantime. I have a bad taste in my mouth for the leadership at WFM already. Be careful if you interview. I have never had this happen to me before

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Chelsea in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

39 months ago

Keen in Somewhere, California said: This is how you can get a job at WFM

Second: Under times and dates for work; put the opening and closing hours of the store since you are demonstrating that you are flexible(even if the job is part-time). When you get hired, you will have the chance to modify your schedule.
Third: Get out there! Meet the team members of your dept. of interest. Talk to the STL (store team leader, if you can) and team leader within the department of interest. Be courteous, be yourself and state how you can improve and or how your candidacy would be of interest to the Team Leader; please DO NOT SAY I LOVE ORGANIC FOOD. You should explain how organic and natural foods/vitamins, fish, etc., are proper choices. After this statement, you can talk about how organic/natural foods are your lifestyle, if not, explain that you are willing to know more about natural/organic food choices.
Fourth: Give a courtesy call, this applies not only to wholefoods but to all companies you will apply to in the future. When you call, ask for the TL or ATL, make sure they give you updates on the interviews.
Fifth: When you get called for the interview, thank them...like any other job offer or interview.

Okay so... I have done all of this. I applied at Whole Foods when I moved here back in September or October, and I have gone in MULTIPLE times and chatted with the people in many departments, at the registers, at the customer service desk. I have called their HR department asking to speak to someone about opening positions. I was going almost twice a month, and still nothing. I'm going to go bug them today because I'm not about to give up but seriously?? Also I've met two people who had to wait for a year after they applied to get asked for an interview - and they didn't even pursue it like I am. Why is this happening to me? All I want is to wear an apron and sell healthy food :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Fly on the Wall in Houston, Texas

39 months ago

MRClueuin in Brooklyn, New York said: I'm glad that you like your job. However there is such a thing as a run on sentence. (Not that I'm the grammer police or anything. If my previous post are anything to go buy) At anyrate it may be great in Cali but it's wrong to assume it's great every where else.
Leave the rah, rah, cheerleading to Management, sweetie.
Peace!

Glad you're not the GRAMMAR police, because you'd lose your badge. ;-)

WFM is a great place to work. I have friends in the Houston Metro area who have worked for the company for 19 years, another for 25 years, another for 26 years. They all started from the bottom and worked their way up into leadership roles. All are extremely happy. I love shopping at WFM, and love the culture there. Maybe when I retire from my current job (in another 6 years) I will see about working guest services or Whole Body, just to supplement my retirement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

sdfasdfasf in Kirkland, Washington

37 months ago

Keen in Somewhere, California said: This is how you can get a job at WFM

INTERVIEW:

Bring you resume, references, and cover letter.

You don't have to be very dressy, you can have slacks, a skirt, a blouse...keep it simple. Be cheery not cheesy, be yourself but try not to be a pain in the @$$

They will ask you to give a brief description of yourself. Please explain your life experiences thoroughly but only talk about things which are important to know about you; stating that your grandmother passed away will not win their affection. Be aggressive but do not overdue it; keep constant eye contact and make your personality shine. They will ask about customer service: answer the question and give a time that your customer service skills were utilized.
When you are answering the questions,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mango0074@aol.com in Honolulu, Hawaii

36 months ago

level in Glendale Heights, Illinois said: I would be very careful about assuming every Whole Foods is the same. Leadership is very important and I had a rather bad experience at one particular store.

I was called in for an interview not too long ago and the first went extremely well. I was thrilled and ready to kick it in high gear for this company that I respect for their dedication to providing gluten free products and organics... I read a little about John Mackey (they send you info when you apply online) and I thought his dedication was impressive.

Unfortunately the 2nd interview was completely opposite to the first and I cannot explain why. I dressed up in 'interview' casual atire. May be I overdressed or may be I'm too old (in my 40's), or possibly it was the 15 lbs I need to lose, but I could tell from start the man interviewing was not impressed before I even said a word.

I tried to answer everything well but it's difficult when you get that sense from the start. What bothers me still is that he misunderstod me and even raised his voice at me. It's something not typcial in an interview and I even wonder if this was part of the interviewing process to see if you can take it.

This man did not smile once and by the end gave me the most scary death stare that I actually moved back a little. As he stood, his face changed to a more normal look and he held his hand out and said thank you. I don't know what I said or did that was so inappropriate but I think his behavior was out of line. I just gathered up all I had, formed a smile and said thank you and he left. I don't know what to say other than I think it was some misunderstanding I'll probably never know but thought I'd share it. Hopefully your interview will go much, much better. Good luck.

guess 40's is too old...better give up, I'm 61, slender, usually mistaken for 10-15 yrs younger, but no, I'm 61, healthy, patient, (I think it comes w/age) Oh Well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

strawberryfields in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

What about when you get hired?

It says on their website that you have a trial period of 30-90 days orientation..

Then everyone votes as to whether they would like to keep you or not in their "team"?

What if within those 30-90 days you need a day off and you are part time due to a prior event .. would it effect whether or not they would like to keep you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Strawberryfields in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

Have worked there a month now:) I love it ! Honestly best place to work! We get $10 for just doing learn and earns... I got $25 for good customer service ... Prizes for selling whole foods donations (tea, pineapple, cookie etc) and I have my team member vote this month:) and they let test try everything! Love my job couldn't be happier, I agree with everything you have said :)

Rex in Bridgeview, Illinois said: Their hiring process is stringent because employees receive monthly bonuses based on team sales and labor budgets. I.E., if the team works well together, promotes the success of their department, makes a lot of sales, and keeps under the labor budget, there's a pool from which everyone on the team gets a bonus based on the number of hours they worked. So you don't want to hire someone who'll mess around and make everyone's day harder and short the team on sales because it'll lessen your payout at the end of the month. WFM understands that money is motivation. That's why they pay higher than the industry average, that's why they don't waste money on advertising, that's why they give monthly bonuses PLUS gift cards for great customer service performance. They give you money constantly if you're good at your job.

And this isn't corporate rah-rah. I genuinely love working for Whole Foods. I've had my doubts about it because they really, really do want you to drink the Kool-Aid, but honestly, hard work and healthy living aren't exactly the worst Kool-Aid to drink. They pay higher than average for the industry and there are a lot of great people to learn from. I look forward to having a career there for many, many years to come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Someone No One knows in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

Whoever that person was ended up doing you a favor. I have worked at WFM for 12 years and the only thing keeping me here is I have people other than myself counting on me for my job. The leadership at least in the region I work is horrible and its getting worse. I am sure where ever you end up or where ever you went, it much better than here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Someone No One knows in Austin, Texas

26 months ago

Yep I work at WFM and you are lucky, you got out before you got in. Iv been here a long time, I keep my nose clean and do my job. I have people counting on me at home otherwise I would have quit a long time ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nrg9672@aol.com in North Hollywood, California

15 months ago

RKA in Portland, Oregon in Portland, Oregon said: absolutely not!...Whole Foods has a 80 percent turnover rate. So new employee's are hired just about every day.

YEAH!!!! RIGHT!!! Your response is NOT true!!! For the past 5/6 years now, I've been trying to get a job @ WF! Everyday, I check o-nline to look for job openings and I get NO response!!(I only receive listings for jobs out-of-state!(nothing local)Everytime I apply for a position, I get TURNED DOWN!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

huntersmom007@aol.com in Midlothian, Virginia

15 months ago

Hello , I have been trying since January applying to almost every job that came open and finally got an interview , 2 weeks later when hadn't heard anything I called assist manager he said it was the other managers choice and he was out for a few days, got a call a week later that they filled the position ( sad thing is that's a lie because the job had just reposted the day he called :( I just don't understand what they are looking for I was told they have about 150 applications for 1 cashiers job ? I have 10 years grocery store experience and have worked in about every department in the store as well as being a manager, I told them I wanted to get in the door and stay there till I retire . What is whole foods looking for ? younger college kids that they can pay less and will leave in a few years ? the only thing I can see that I have going against me is needing to make 2 dollars more than there typical starting wage but I have 22 years retail experience . I just saw posted that they are doing a job fair at the local college .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Hello, today is Monday 6/10/13.I just received your e-mail re: to your reply that you posted "How to
get a job at Whole Foods Market. I never thought Whole Foods Was so "picky" with "new" applicants esp.
if your applying for an entry level position. Right now, this is a very stressful time for me(out of work 5yrs.)So when I sent that response, I didn't mean any harm. The employees at the WF I shop at are constantly letting me know when the store has job openings. Thank You Again for the advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

huntersmom007@aol.com in Midlothian, Virginia

14 months ago

I'm sorry , I think once you just get your foot into whole foods the benefits are excellent and I saw online that 80 percent of there workforce is full time .It's hard to get turned down time after time :( I apply for everything that comes up and feel like 10 years grocery experience would help . good luck to you :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

I just received your email. Thank you for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kdguste@gmail.com in Kenner, Louisiana

13 months ago

I live in kenner, la. I have applied for several jobs and had no luck .i know I would be an asset to your co. Please if anyone can help me. I have great customer service skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

nasimdeleon in Plano, Texas said: i am trying so hard to find a job at wholefoods , as a customer service ,whole body or open to anything

I AGREE!!, I've been applied @2 Sherman Oaks locations,3 positions(entry-level),everytime I get an e-mil
from W/F re: my request for a position(even to just bag groceries they whant experience!!!!) And W/F states their an equal opportunity employer???????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

No offer in Ukiah, California

11 months ago

I applied for a team leader position which is another work for manager. I was told that outside management usually does not work out. Then I received a call to interview for ATL. I drove 3 hours to my interview, willing to relocate, and the first interview went well. I felt welcomed and I was excited because it was a familiar environment being retail. I was invited back for a panel interview. I was told that I should visit the store before the interview to get to know the staff. Some of the staff would be on the panel and I would have higher chances on being hired if I visited for multiple days. The following week I drove back to the store and spent 3 five hours days investing my time to get to know the team. I felt welcomed by most and everyone seemed happy. The store manager had little time for me and didn't show interest. He was one of the last people I met. He talked about my previous employment from a customer perspective and seemed to judge me based off my having worked there. The panel interview consisted of the store manager, regional manager, team leader, the other assistant team leader, initial hiring manager, and two team members that wanted the position but were denied due to lack of experience. (Now that I think of it, that does not seem right for them to be the ones voting on me!) They all asked situational questions, vary standard... The store manager asked about how I would improve gross margin. After all was done, I felt positive about the experience. I was told that the initial hiring manager would call be the day of or next to let me know yes or no to an offer. I never received a call. I called them on the third day, was told that I should have been called but was not. I did not receive an offer. All in all I feel like the whole process was a strong investment of my time and energy. I feel as if I spent most of my time trying to be hired rather than being appreciated f

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Peter James in Malden, Massachusetts

11 months ago

To answer your question Mr. Host, I did worked at Whole Foods Market. I found it by going online and making a little profile to apply to jobs. My past experiences in the supermarket industry, like produce, got me that first interview.

Here's some advice, they like it if you wore business casual clothing (no baggy jeans and big shirt) wear tight jeans that compliment your behind and a polo accompanied with a nice haircut, a young clean-cut face, white shoes, and a wide bright smile with lots of energy that borders insanity.

~ Peter. Peter James.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

penAlope in Mechanicsville, Virginia

11 months ago

i don't even know how i got it. well i just got an offer to work at WF for cashier. of course i accepted after about a year and a half of applying there! i did get one interview that year and a half ago but no offer. this time i got it! my friend works there, and she did NOT put in a word for me, but she did say they are hiring like 20 people!! so i think that may be one reason why i got it finally. another is i finally wrote a cover letter when i applied. i just said how my skills/experience would benefit whole foods and i'm a team player and all. so my application made it thru HR finally to the store and now i'm waiting on my background check to clear which i hope is soon so i can get started!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Othique in Aurora, Colorado

10 months ago

My husband has worked at WFs for over a year now. I can promise you it's not a perfect place to work... He's told many things that have gone down in the time he's been here and their turn-over rate is mostly due to the fact that people don't realize that when they get hired they're actually expected TO WORK. My husband has actually been told by several new hires that it was more work than they expected and then ended up doing a no-call no-show within the week. High turn over is probably because most people are lazy and expect an easy job where they can go out back and smoke a joint whenever they feel like it. But so far, it's WAY WAY better than most of the places I've been hired.

I'm personally trying to get in, myself.
Applying as much as I can, and doing my best.

As for the snob chef, did you ever think maybe your arrogance was shining through, because it certainly was in your comments. Also the fact that you seemed so distracted by the customers is probably another clue for them that you can't handle the environment. They probably remain stone faced to see how you react, I've known several managers tell me it's a tactic to see how you deal with grumpy people. So in total, your reactions probably told them you weren't fit for the job, despite your "multitudes of experience". You can cook = good for your children's taste buds.. your customer service qualities = none = no job. You were angry & snobby BEFORE getting the interview and angry and snobby AFTER getting the interview and angry and snobby after being told you weren't good enough. Why do I feel you had it coming and aren't learning from your experience? It's so much easier to blame the person that said "no" than to look at yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey in Savannah, Georgia

10 months ago

Fly on the Wall in Houston, Texas said: Glad you're not the GRAMMAR police, because you'd lose your badge. ;-)

WFM is a great place to work. I have friends in the Houston Metro area who have worked for the company for 19 years, another for 25 years, another for 26 years. They all started from the bottom and worked their way up into leadership roles. All are extremely happy. I love shopping at WFM, and love the culture there. Maybe when I retire from my current job (in another 6 years) I will see about working guest services or Whole Body, just to supplement my retirement.

I have an interview this week. ANy pointers for that? I have been encouraged to meet Team Members in the store too. any tips for that either? I would LOVE to land this job!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smileygirl in Hampstead, North Carolina

7 months ago

I do not work at WF but have heard nothing but great things, I have actually just recently applied. but seeing the comments from some I know every store is different and every company is different in regards to pay, but I can tell you first hand If I were to be able to get a $1 increase early I would be happy!!! I work for company that only gives you 1% of your hourly rate... so say someone has worked there for 16 years making $15 an hour they would only receive a whooping .15 cent!! so if your getting a $1 a year be thankful!!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EEJ in Sacramento, California

6 months ago

Thanks for the good tips everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe_ in Dallas, Texas

6 months ago

DON'T work for whole foods. They lure you in by paying higher than average, good benefits, and a decent employee discount. My team leader was a real mean woman, and I didn't know this until 2 months into the job, she was all smiles and laughs during my interview.The first thing she did was give me a bad review, which may seem like my fault so I tried to correct everything that she told me that I was doing wrong, she even kept me from doing register training until she saw improvement. Working my hardest showing her that I wanted my job, this woman put me through hell for no reason and when I shared the stories with my co-workers they were all appalled on how she treated me. The summers in Dallas are just crazy with heat, especially when your not from here, she wanted me to do a 10 minute cart run in 105 degree weather, and another one when it was raining outside! 1. I'm not the smallest guy so trying to do a cart run in 10 minutes at a store that just recently opened up is ridiculous. needless to say I just slacked and didn't get one of the corals, but she didn't notice thank God.
2. One of our cashiers who was been with the company for years quit (because of our team leader) so they had to fill those hours until we got someone new, this guy that started working there about 3 weeks to a month after were getting better hours, and the bad thing is he was in high school!!! I had nothing to do during the day so been asking this lady for more and more hours every time I see her and she would say okay.
3. Another co-worker of mines lost a 300 dollar check, he said it fell out his register, but he was able to keep his job and face no additional disciplinary actions, but when me and 3 other co-workers came up short on our registers like 10 dollars, we were all called in her office and yelled out and it went on our employee records. Too political and too much ass kissing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

myrosie20@gmail.com in Brockton, Massachusetts

6 months ago

ya hire me thank you myrosie20@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.